Ameda Users

babypowerz

Hi!

I'm calling out to all Ameda Dual Lactaline Pump users to share with me the brand of rechargeable batteries they are using. Currently I'm using disposable batteries and I find it pricey and cost consuming. I did try to use rechargeable batteries (fully charged for 12 hours) but my pump would not work till i decided to replace with disposable ones.

I used the pump frequently at work to express milk and sometimes while expressing the pump just died on me. Very depressing especially when the milk is about to come out and the batteries just went flat.

there was no socket in the room im using to express milk. my colleagues who used medela had no problem using rechargeable batteries. I did try to use their batteries but still it wouldnt work on my machine.

please share the brand and the specs of the rechargeable bateries you are using and where I could get them.

tia!

Hi Scrooge,

You may want to call the distributor and check with them. Infantree @ Tel : 64541867. I have just bought the Ameda pump recently. Will only be using it after my baby is born so cannot advise much.

Hi, J&M!

Thanks for the contact. I've called them up and was told that Ameda pumps cannot use rechargeable batteries as the voltage is low ie. 1.2V only. So can use only disposable batteries or adaptor. Disposable batteries - Energizer or Duracell - as their voltage is higher ie 1.5V.

Been using the pump for 3.5 yrs now and find it an expensive machine :p Nevertheless, it has serve me well to date. :)

Hi Scrooge,

Glad to know that you have found the problem. Thanks for the info on the correct kind of batteries to use for Ameda pump. I guess it benefits all mummies who intends or are using the pump now.

Dear mothers or mothers-to-be, if you are looking for an experienced nanny, feel free to contact my mom by sending me a personal message.

My mom has a lot of experience taking care of children as well as newborn. willing to take care for day and night.

hi all i am intending to buy this pump for my wife...but i realise tat it not a "popular" brand in all the big mall...as i only see modela brand...

so can i check hw is the performance for this pump and is it strong enuf? also hw is the warranty like...is there any local distributer, or main store sellin this product?

you can buy from Robinson. but the cheapest is to buy from ebay from this uk seller hellobaby at around $230 including shipping charges for brand new set and ship to singapore directly. i bought 1 myself and when the motor spoilt they give me a BN replacement set directly.

hihi, i am considering getting ameda after hearing all the good feedback. however, can i check with all mummies what is the normal retail price it is selling for in sgp? cause my delivery is only in dec, so i plan to wait for good offers like baby fairs before purchasing it.

btw, does ameda allows you to set the pump faster during the initial stage? cos i heard from my colleague tt avent pumps simulate that of the baby, whereby in the initial stage it will pump faster just like the baby suckle as there is no milk during intial pumping. pls advise - thank you!

hi janjan, i'm a ameda user n i strongly recommend buying before delivery. for me, i only bought it a week after delivery as initially, i was afraid that i had no milk, so i decided to use a hand me down manual avent pump. that was a bad decision. in order to ensure that my supply kicks in, i pump every 3 hourly , even in e night. being new to using a pump, plus the fact that my nipples were sore and crack, i din managed to master e "skill" of using a manual pump. in the end, i was badly engored and that's when my massage lady recommended me to this pump. i got my sister to buy it for me and gosh, the effect was immediate. the milk juz flow out n i had never seen that much milk. till now, 20 months later, i'm still breastfeeding. i gave the credit to a good pump. if i din try this pump, i may have given up breastfeeding within weeks as the initial stage was really hell. in short, this is a good pump to try if u r determined to breastfeed.

hi adrian, i hv not used medela pump before but i did a search on this pump when my massage lady recommended it to me. i remember seeing some comments comparing these 2 brand n e conclusion i drew was unless u r getting e medela dual pump model that cost ard $700+, ameda is still a better choice. not that e $700+ model is better than ameda, rather, it's that the cheaper medela models can't match ameda. there's not much comments comparing the $700+ medela model to ameda. in terms of the noise level, ameda is not as noisy as medela, regardless of the model. hope this help.

i read posting by some mommies before, saying that there is no need to use breastpump since baby latches on directly. but for me, pump is a must during my 1st yr of breastfeeding. especially after my 3 mths maternity leave was over cos i'll express in office to maintain my supply. i only stop using electric pump after the 1st yr... occasionally, i still use manual pump after my 1st yr but it is really once in a blue moon kind. in short, a good electric pump is still a must have for me

hi mummies,

i am keen to purchase ameda before i deliver but i heard that the power for ameda is quite slow and hence more suitable for mummies with good milk flow..I was advised to observe my milk flow first after giving birth before getting ameda coz if milk flow is not that good, better not to get ameda. Is this true? can share your experience?

preciousthots,
i think its not true that it is only suitable for mummie with good milk flow.. my second baby was admitted back to the hospital on day six due to to jaundice and i've been using the pump to build up my supply since then cos i was not able to latch her.. i got another fren who did not even latch on at all cos her baby was in NICU.. but she gt so much milk.. she was fully expressing.. We are both using Ameda..

Those who wan to buy Ameda can also buy from Baby Kingdom at Kaki Bukit.. Isetan at Scotts.. or Mumsfairy at the Business thread.. I think now GSS sale, the departmental store or baby kingdom should be having sale..

Hi mummies,

I'm having problem holding my Ameda pump straight while pumping as milk tends to drip from the funnels.. think its the angle of the funnels.

Anyone with the same problem?

jan jan,
I have seen it at Isetan Scotts before.
Isetan Tampines dun carry it.
I think the pricing is the same, unless gt promotions or private sale.

Hi, just to share my experience. I used Ameda pump after I was discharged from hospital. Initially, it was quite good, can pump quite fast as my milk flow is coming in.

After using for 3wks, my milk supply drop. Then I have big difficulty pumping. I can see the milk coming out, but when I tried to pump, it just wont come out. Instead, I can express more using hand. Hence, I switch to a manual pump and I can express out all the milk..

So, my conclusion is that if you have good milk supply, it is very good. But if your milk supply is low, a manual pump might be better.

sharing my experience too. i been using ameda pump since day 4 when i got home (used hospital's pump when i was there). got it from mum's fairy as a package - pump plus extra pumping pal funnels n hands free thingy that holds the pumps.

i 'tortured' my pump - 2/3hrly pumps that lasts up to 1hr and sterilization after every use. (usually pple pump 10-15mins only and recommended is sterilized once a day. i dun care la prefer to sterilized aft every use)

it was very strong in the first few weeks but it got weaker from 6weeks. I do not know if it is because of excessive usage. now at 17 weeks, i switch from dual to single pump before i feel the "power".

maintenance wise, it is very easy to clean and assemble. all parts that come in contact with milk - funnel and valve - can be scrubbed and sterilized. it's also very portable n not v noisy.

my grouses are about the valve and funnel. The valve is impossible to scrub without destroying it. You can rinse it only. i've since changed 4 valves ($8 each) due to scrubbing. As for the funnel, it is a PC funnel. If you want PP funnel have to buy separately. Also my PC funnel just cracked yesterday after i screwed on too tight. i use glass bottles so i guess glass is too hard on the plastic?

folks in previous posts commented ameda is better for pple with good milk flow. i do not know if is true since i belong to the "hardly have enough" category. wat i can comment is i pump same amount of milk while using a manual medela pump.

would i recommend ameda? absolutely.
-it survived long n frequent pumping, fits all my glass bottles (nature pure, nuk n similac glass bottles)
-relatively quiet, not heavy
-easy to clean (i dun like cleaning my medela pump, impossible to scrub parts that are in contact with milk; regret buying)
-most imptly, cheapest dual pump ard

Hi,
Do you find your ameda breaks down easily?

Mine like k/o after a while... I used for 4 mths, after that kept in storage for abt 6 mths, passed to my friend to use, and her baby haven't turned 1yo the pump died. Mine is the Ameda truely yours. My friend's Medela pump in style can last her 3 kids.

I regret buying the Ameda. But its like what you pay is what you get... :p

donroxx,

can ameda pumps fit into pigeon standard bottles n piyo piyo bottles?

where did u buy the replacement valves?

did u sterilise all pump parts incl d pipes n valves?

i have 2 ameda (one for work, one for home), both work beautifully. Also able to use recharageable. I used 1800/2300 rechargeables whenever I travelled. No problem at all.

pump can be fitted to any standard size bottles.
accessories like valves can be bot overseas, which is cheaper. checked out the overseas sprees, esp those organized by prettycloud. She's very helpful.

jan jan.. ameda fits standard neck bottles. dun have pigeon bottles so can't try for u
sad.gif

i bought valves from mum's fairy. can also buy from baby kingdom at kaki bukit.

for sterilizing, i sterilize funnel and valve after every use. i dun sterilize the bellow or tubes since it does not touch milk (wash only).

Ameda pump can fit pigeon n piyo piyo standard bottles but the prob is these bottles can't sit in ameda pump bottle holder. Any one found bottles other than ameda bottles sit well into ameda pump bottle holder?

Dun wash the tubes U can use wet cloth to wipe the exterior of the tubes

jan jan
i wash when it is dusty loh. oh dun let water go in else hard to dry.

no sure abt bottles. i'm not using them to be safe. actually the funnels r not bpa free (assuming u r buying locally). if u buy separate bpa free funnels (PP funnels), be aware that the bellows dun fit n the whole thing does not work well.

Hi Angie,
I prefer Ameda coz silent. Medela is very noisy and to me it hurts. I normally use the pump (both) with Avent pedal cushion. But Ameda do have some problems with the accessories especially the valve. Really have to take care if not the pump will not function well. If you can stand the noise level (when i first use it i really tot the motor spoilt), (especially if you need to bring to office, then you really need a silent pump), then go for medela, if not, ameda is a better choice. And i'm not sure if I'm the only one have so many problems with the valve, other mummies seem to like the pump a lot.

Hi Musicbox,
Thanks for your feedback, it will be useful for me to jubge which to buy. Beside the noise level and the valve problem, do you notice that their power are equivalent? Seeing the feedback from others, seems like the power will get weaker for Ameda pump after awhile? Did you found the same problem?

hi angie,
I've no problem with the power, but i think ameda uses bigger vottage. both chargers are big compare to avent's. Durable wise i think medela is more durable, but ameda is lighter and if you really take care of the parts it can last also. Just don't steam or boil the parts, all the parts are fragile including funnel, bottles, valve, below. But given a choice i'll still buy ameda than medela, coz really can't stand the noise. Now i only put my ameda parts in after i off the gas for boiling, never never boil or steam the valves. If possible buy more valves to standby, some valves even drop off from funnel after a few seconds of putting it on. Other than the fragile part, ameda is good to use and carry around.

hi jan,
can buy from retails like robinson or the service company infant tree. But i think cheapest is from bulk purchase or from ebay. just do a search on this forum or ebay and you shd be able to find good deals.

anyone know if i buy ameda pumps n accessaries at robinsons, is it charged at regular price? when robinsons sometimes has 20% off storewide, does ameda have discount?

Hi Mums,

I bought Ameda Lactaline pump and have been using it since 8 Aug. I pump every 3 hrs and just sterlise the funnels and bottles once a day.

After each pump, I will just wash and rinse all the parts with water. Is that safe?

I ordered the PP funnel from Mumsfairy just yesterday, someone was saying that it doesn't fit the bellows nicely. Oh dear... should I cancel my order then? Anyone else tried the PP funnels from Mumsfairy?

Cheers,
Mag

Jan Jan,

I bought my Ameda pump fr Baby Kingdom for $350 (during the recent GSS sale time). Baby Kingdom is at Kaki Bukit Area. You can find the address online or in the forum, I've seen it being mentioned before.

Mag

hi everyone,

i jz bought ameda pumps over d weekend.
reading the menu, seems like all the part can b disassemble, but i tried, but cannot detach cap, bellows and breast shell, and valve from breast shell.

when u all talking abt funnel, r u referring to the breast shell (that wat it is called in d user guide)

the guide said before every use, must boil all parts except double connector, tube and cap. but can u all detach other parts?

Back