Agape Little Uni (Kallang) - Infant care

Ya Ya Snowball, the 3G abacus will start in Mar... let her join in too... but cecil charge 7% gst leh so me is paying more... sigh!!! even the S&D fee has 7% gst hor.... so many 7% to add on....

CCK branch has arts class right? dont have @ kallang n cecil side leh.... how come eh? although my gal doesnt have a flare on drawings/ arts... keke.... just want her to have more exposure....

Hi Reiner,

The fees are inclusive of GST one leh.

My DD1 also joined in their ART class. I let her join precisely because she cannot really draw. After attending for almost 1 year, now she can draw a few animals liao - Rabbit, crab, bird, etc :p

huh?? inclusive of GST???

used to pay 60bucks @ Kallang for the S&D. Now @ Cecil, we are paying 64.20 yah (with 7% more, i.e 4.20 more)... so will be the 3G abacus too...

my gal likes to draw castle, princess, family members sorta... but all are very abstract ones... keke....

Hi Reiner,

Think they have setup each of the CC as a separate entities. So, some of them charge GST & some do not. The setup is funny hor?

I was looking at the workbooks and worksheets my DDs brought back from CC. Her drawings all very abstract but at least now, I can figure out what she drew.

Hi,

Other than the money, I think the standard of teaching is more important. I don't know if any mummies realised that there are grammatical and sentence structure errors in the letters sent to parents, not to mention the instructions in the children's jotterbooks. I'm really concerned what is being taught to my child......

Hi Carol,

ya, both kids take school bus fm kallang to cecil. its foc, tentatively bah.

Hi eileen,
agreed yo... the std of teaching. spot quite a number of mistakes lor...

me asked cecil K1 eng Tr about the letterland thingy and learning of spelling... very surprised that she said learning spelling is thru memory>> sorta of drilling... so why agape is teaching letterland to kids? or they just do it for the sake of doing only? since other reputable ones have it too.... isnt learning letterland, the kids will learn to listen and blend the word/ spell the word... of coz let alone the sight words.... what a waste of having letterland in the Curriculum. and all along me tot my girl is able to pick up the phonics fm there, can save enrichment monies/ time lor...

Hi

Apparantly i seem to be the only one who kept giving feedback of the bad English used. Kept saying until i myself get very frustrated....

Oh, do you gals feel the teachers are inexperience, therefore they dont know how to teach?
btw, Reiner, is Kallang full, thats why u need to sent your kids to Cecil?

hi carol,

kallang is rather crowded. and cecil side is giving special offer to kallang kids to be tfr to cecil branch. so #1 goes to cecil so will be #2 lor...

inexperience?? cant be... the P always mentioned how many of experience the Tr has lor.... so not true eh?? ha!!! so how?? teach our kids ourselves lor... find that no use to feedback lor... no action taken for improvement leh....

Hi Reiner,

While I find that their teachings of Mandarin is rather good (my DD1 can read many Chinese characters already when I started her with 四五快读). I find that their phonics teaching is not strong enough.

My DD1 is still not very good with words blending. I did check out with her class teacher and she did tell me that they are teaching 3-letters words blending now. She feedback that my DD1 can read many words she taught in class already. But, I think its due to her reading the P & J series.

Btw, from this week onwards, the Principal from CCK branch will be transferred to Kallang Br. You can talk to her & find out more. She is an amicable and approachable lady.

The previouse Principal will go back to CCK branch. I will also feedback to her on my observations on their phonics teaching.

Hi Snowball,

but my kids are @ Cecil branch NOT KALLANG leh...

四五快读>> me bot this too, after saw tam recommended and lots of you were getting too... keke... my girl still in Book 1... blame on mummy too lazy lah... so far her chinese still okay...

my girl reads P&J too... she's still hanging @ 8b... so all along tot credit goes to agape letterland phonics to able her to read till 8b... think its my credit instead... keke... but she still too lazy to read by herself a complete story lor, mean other story books....

Hi mummies,

I agree with you all. The english standard of the childcare is questionable. I'm not saying that I speak perfect english (far from it), but I do try to speak proper english to my son as much as possible so he will not pick up the bad/lazy english which we are so used to speaking here. Recent months I've noticed alot of bad english spoken by my son which I am pretty sure was not by me or hb
sad.gif
Like Eileen said, it is common to see grammatical errors in their newsletter to parents... haiz... what more can we expect from the teachers then? Given the type of school fees we're paying, surely most of us expect a certain level of standard but it just doesn't match up. Very frustrating indeed.

However, I also have to give credit for the mandarin. My son's mandarin has also improved quite a bit and he can speak much better now and without the "ang mo" chinese accent. LOL Also, he is confident to reply in mandarin compared to before.

Anyway, I'm giving myself some time before I decide if he should continue kindergarten in Agape or somewhere else. Doesn't mean that another place is always better than here. Have to do some research.

Btw, Reiner, what is 四五快读 and P&J? Are they highly recommended? I feel guilty for being such a lazy mummy... haha... Must buck up.

P&J = Peter and Jane series. ladybird series... sight words, repetitive... if you are keen, can borrow from me to try our on your boy...

四五快读> = like P&J
http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20916154&ref=search-1-pub
me got Book 1& 2 only... scared me cant finish... me lazy yah...

haha!!! my girl has increased her singlish a lot lor... always got mark by my sil even my younger niece said y jie jie talk in singlish!!! stimes even "comment" she didnt understand her english...

Hi Leereiner,

四五快读 - Just started my DD1 with Book 2 (lesson 2 of book 2). The words are getting increasingly difficult and my DD1 needs more prompting to read them correctly. But, she gained more confidence to read them when she finally managed to remember those words.

P & J Series - My DD1 into Book 7b now.

Really got no time in the evenings, so I alternate between 四五快读 and P & J series on alternate days.

My DD1 can read some of the storybooks on her own, those 200 - 300 words kind which I get from Popular (the Robin series). The more they read, the more confidence they gain.

Also just started DD2 on P & J series book 1a.

Singlish - Even my DD2 is speaking Singlish now....with lotsa "wa....la.....hor, etc" We gotta correct them on the spot when we catch them speaking Singlish.

Let me feedback to the current principal on their phonics teaching and see her response.

not only those, lor, wa lah... even "buy what", "where got leh?" "go where?" stimes me just ignored her... then she knows her mistakes so talk to me in correct form...

wow... your girl can read 200 to 300 words leh... hmmmm... think gotta start my gal too. hmmmm...

let me know what's the P reply. or else me gotta work double in this area... checked kiasuparents forum, letterland is a good teaching on phonics and agape said their Tr are letterland trained. so why cant they pro on this?

my #1 in K1... Tr Priya and zhang lao shi... chnaged tr too... inital is rachel >> the vp and zou lao shi lor... hope they dont change...

me is okay with tr hui xin... as my #2 is joining N1 class and he's picking up things yah...

am okay with no experience Tr... but she gotta have the right/ +ve learning attitude, patience and passion twds the kids.... experience gotta build up thru yrs yah right? correct me yo

of coz for infants wld prefer to ve experience as wont want to take risk for handling baby yah...

new principal @ cecil - the P is from Jurong West yah... so ms lai is leaving yo...

arts class @ ceceil too. free one....

how's the new P @ Kallang yah?

the New Pis from CCK yo?

any1 went to Cecil for the LETTERLAND workshop? any comments? me didnt go ya... but my hb's bil had -ve feedback of the Tr...

Hi Reiner,

Got Letterland workshop meh? How come my DDs' CC dun have leh? Anyway, this Friday my DD1 got teaparty. I will ask the teacher/ principal during the teaparty on their letterland teachings.

Art class @ Cecil FOC one? I gotta pay $40 per mth for my DD1 to learn leh. How come Agage got so many different fee structure one....so confusing.

Hi Snowball,

huh?? tot the Letterland workshop is for whole agape centres yah.... hmmmm.... or maybe they see my posting in this thread then they came up this workshop...?? hmmmmm....

ya lor... art class is FOC @ Cecil... like some agape centres has GST some not.... all along tot the enrichment/ extra class is for whole group of agape, so the price will be "reasonable" to negotiate for such a huge demand yah... (over 10 centres!!!) like wise the sibling discount thingy too.... sigh!!!

for the letterland workshop, -ve feedback fo the TR..... none is able to communicate/ speak English..... so how to teach Egnlish, let alone Letterland... sigh!
angry.gif

agreed that Chinese Tr are good as they are from China.... is your DD1 know the story of "kong long 让梨"? my girl is able to recite the whole story yo... word by word (unsure is it 100% as the story book, but think @ least 90% correct yo)... very surprised... keke... and the 华语 not much of mixed english accent too...
kao_clap.gif

so wonder how they screen the English Tr??

Hi Reiner,

They took away the sibling discount wef this year.

Phonics - My DD1's english teacher quite ok actually. I understand that they are learning word blending now. But, I did not see that my DD1 can do this well leh.

孔融让梨 - Yes, my DD1 brought home this storybook last weekend and she read the whole story to my hb. My hb was quite impressed with her. Agree that their CL2 teachers' quality quite good. But, need improvement on their choice of English teachers. My DD1 got a Filipino teacher last yr. She is quite good but my DD1 end up with some Filipino essence in her speech. Took me quite a while to correct her.

hey snowball, the letterland workshop is meant for PG/N1 group... err... your dd2 in N1?

that's why, till now my girl doesnt know how to blend the 3-letters words lor... bit worry... but still think agape doesnt really push on this... althou agape claimed english Tr are letterland trained...

just rec'd a call from Cecil... <font color="ff0000">CHANGE OF Tr AGAIN</font> sianz... for my K1 girl...

Hi Reiner,

Yes, my DD2 in N1 now.

I will ask the teacher about their teachings on words blending. If they can push for letterland teachings like the way they teach Chinese, it will be wonderful.

Hi Reiner,

Now CCK also offer K1 and K2 to be transferred to One-North. One-North also offer Creative Art class FOC. So, we end up paying marginally higher fees. I also like the environment there. But, travelling one-way takes about 45min - 1 hr (if traffic jam). I am still considering. Going to visit the Centre with my hb and DDs before we decide. If we transfer, we will transfer both kids to One-North.

I went to the K1 tea party and understand from my DD1's English teacher that they just started teaching 3-letters word blending from this term. I will monitor for a while and see how my DD1 progress.

huh??! transfer to One-North? why? heard that tamp branch also got this tfr scheme getting on yah... what's the motive behind eh?

errr... 45-min to 1hr travel time, 1-way only?

whatif the K1 class majority moves to one-north, will you go too?

can pm me what's the fee for tfr to One-North? or you wanna post here? keke...

then #2 shall go with jie-jie yah...

Hi Reiner,

PM u liao.

Yes, travelling time is 45min 1-way. That is why we are still thinking.

No lah. Mei mei still young. If transfer, will be when she is in N2. But, N2 transfer got to pay more fees leh.

yah... that's the -ve point if not gonna tfr 2 kids @ same time.... me in same situtation yah... My #2 just 19M, he's taking the transport to Cecil lor... cant seperate them yah...

if tfr later than the deadline given, the fee is near to 1k after subsidy.... cant afford....

is there kindermuisk @ your cck side? how about one-north? is it FREE eh? gotta buy the material only... aro 26 plus...

Hi Reiner,

Probably, gotta wait till they offer the transfer then decide if we wanna transfer Mei Mei, to enjoy the special fees.

Music - No leh, CCK do not offer music class. I am letting my DD1 attend Yamaha Music Wonderland and now YJC. She has attended 1 yr liao. So far so good. So, if CCK offer, dun think I will let her join.

Hi mummies here,

I was googling for reviews on agape @ cecil and I chanced upon this thread. maybe should open a thread called agape @ cecil instead of tapping onto the kallang thread soon?

My son is attending cc at cecil soon and I met up with the new principal recently. also noticed a lot of changes in teachers since the last time i went for registration. None of the teachers there now are familiar to me! in fact, the P said that most of the teachers are new (some are even on training not even qualified teachers).. so a bit worrying..

anyway my son is attending PG class soon. noted that PG/N1 class is combined due to small class size and there will be two teachers at one time. but I was thinking if lets say english lesson, the chinese teacher is there, surely will be speaking in mandarin right? so kinda weird right? anyway, can anyone provide review of the current teachers in charge of PG/N1?

do you all think your child is learning something at cecil?

if not convenient to post here, maybe can pm me! i am really interested to find out more and pershaps make some mummies friends in cecil. in case next time need to "combine voices" to complain? hee:)

Hi Reiner,

We visited 1-North and really liked the space they have there.

But, after some consideration, we decided to stay put as the morning and evening traffic can be very bad.

In addition, it is also for my MIL that we decided not to transfer our kids.

Hi Reiner,

For my DD1's class, only 5 - 6 transferred. So, their class still have about 16 - 17 kids after the transfer.

For N2, I think also not many transferred.

This time round, like not may parents applied for transfer leh.

hmmmm.. so the response is not quite +ve yah... keke....

does your girl has penmanship to do eh? my girl brought back a ex book for writting yah... the words are from the storybook which is taught that week.... wonder is the Tr want them to remember the new words or really into writting? if in writting, can get the kids to write journal kinda... or else the new words can via phonics yah.... oh yah... didnt ask my girl how the Tr taught them to read the words... to decode or thru drilling?? haha!!!

Hi Reiner,

Yalor, actually, its quite far from my place to One-North. If take public tpt, at least 1 hr to reach there. Worst if the bus is caught in Jam.

Yes, my gal also brought back 3 jotter books for writing - English/ Chinese/ Maths. My DD1 can spell Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday now. Probably due to the daily writing.

I read from my DD1's workbook that they are into 2-letters word blending now - Eg, bl, cl, fl, etc.

Now, when my DD1 read her storybook and I come across such prefix, I ask her to try to blend the words and pronounce the words. Hope it helps.

huh??? 3 jotter books? my girl has 1 yah... enough lor... keke... can share what are the words eh?

yah, agape do teach blending, letterland... is that they dont enforce on it....

Hi Reiner,

Yes, 3 jotter books. I saw some drawings on the Chinese and Maths jotter books. My DD1's teacher asked them to do writing of the days of the week - 1/2 page each.

oic... for my girl>> the words in the ex bk are those the story theme yah... like shape, circle, square, prowl, etc.... think 6 to 8 words per week kinda... dont bother her lor... @ first she complained fingers/ hand tired, so many to write yah, blah blah.... now better... she can finish all words @ a shot.... keke.... hope she knows what she's doing lor...

so far no chinese or maths work leh....

outing @ agape @ cecil in May:-
--- @ One-North playground &amp; pool....

Hi Reiner,

Now, I can see some improvement in my DD1's handwriting. She can spell Monday - Wednesday now after writing repetitively.

Outing? No leh....I signed her up for the Jun camp tho'. Is your girl going?

Hi Reiner,

I thought the cooking camp should be fun for her.

Yes, my DD1 went for the Puppet Show. She only remembered the Monster under the bed.....

Hi mummies, need your feedback on this centre, Agape Little Uni @Kallang. Planning to enrol my 24mth child here.

Read a very good review at the beginning of this thread, but getting worse as I read on.. quite concerns with the ratio, and the Sing-Lish part..

I'm considering GUG, Rosemary Montessory &amp; Carpe Diem @Pico Centre as well, but Agape so far the closest one

Thanks..

Back