!Advise on Mulberry Learning Centre

pink_piglet

Hi,

anyone have any idea if Mulberry Learning Centre is good? what's the fee for toddler?

Any idea which outlet is better?

Hi, My girl is in mulberry Jurong east branch, the first outlet of Mulberry. their curriculum and program is very good. Teachers are also nice.

The fee is $650 aft subsidy, in the higher end.

Think new outlet(in Acer building) is better as it's new and spacious. We have no choice as we choose the one nearest us.

Hi,
I'm working at ibp, acer building. Hence saw the centre - very bright, cheerful and spacious esp with high ceilings. Met the principal - impressed with their curriculum and she's a nice and patient lady, most importantly she was able to answer all my queries.

Chances of enrolling my gals there very high.

Hi Yuxuan,
Your girl had been in mulberry since when? - she enjoys going to school? And are they too academic driven?

Hi, Dadelina,

My girl was enrolled since she was 22 months(PN) and now she is 38-month-old. She enjoys her school life now. always missing her schoolmates and teachers during weekends, Their curriculum is great, my girl learns a lot. teachers are also caring. during school holiday, they arrange a lot of interesting program, kids have fun!

However, my girl cried a lot in the first few months when enrolled. At that time her teacher changed a few times(teacher on maternity leave) and she was too young to adapt the changes. Now she is better and open to accept new teachers. (they got frequent staff movement recently as they are arraning new opening of Acer building branch. deployed some teacher fr JE to Acer building; some teachers from CCK to JE, some new recruitment and some teachers terminate contracts, but now my girl is ok with that)

Hope it helps.

BTW, their enrollment is also very tight. need ballot(in JE & CCK branch), just imagine like primary school registration. huh?

(JE is the smallest one, I feel quite squeeze)

They also got infant care in Acer building

If you want enroll your girl there, pls register early.

Morning Yuxuan,

Thanks for the reply.
yes, I've informed the Principal on my keeness to register my daughters in their centre. However yday, I visited another centre at Creative Building @ ibp j.east too - Creative-O. Heard very good reviews on this centre too and they're more established (12 years, since 1998) and, they're really into creativity and project work (same as mulberry) but very less worksheets as school's philosophy is learning through play - they seriously abide by this. And fees $540 (after subsidy) and sibling will get 15% discount - very attractive. However, I'm waiting for their advise on whether they can accept by K2 (for next year). No prob for my K1, though ;)

I agree w/u. If choose between creative-O and Mulberry, I will sure choose the former. Very good reputation with history, better price and the same location. I have neighbous whose kids in creative-O too, but I cannot bear to let my kids take school bus, still too young.

Cheers,

glad that u agreed with me ;) track record is very important too, esp. good ones. Same with you, I also can't bear to send them with the sch bus esp... if the distance's quite long and not mentioning the danger of spending too much time in public transport
sad.gif
- I juz wanna give my girls fond pre-school years and not to stress them out ;p am juz lucky that I work at IBP. I didn't know Creative-O was open to public till recently - haha so 'behind-time' right?

I'm juz feeling too anxious waiting for their
phonecall on the outcome of my DD1 for K2 next year. If they turn her down, then she'll head to Mulberry.

How abt Learning Vision? do u have friends' children in their centres?

hi, Creative is open to public but staff of creative enjoys better rate.
Heard good review on Learning Vision too but don't know much about it.

Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for sharing... looks like its really good wo.. but kinda high leh...i need to consider..

I work at jurong JTC summit...izzit troublesome if u put mine at Acer? or the creative-o?

I just when to search on learning vision..they are charging $1000 (before subsidies) for 18mths -6yrs

wah damn exp...
sad.gif

Hi YuXuan,
Wanna share with you that my k2 gal had been accepted at Creative-O :D Fortunately, Creative-O is my DD#1's choice too.
Apparently, she preferred Creative-O to Mulberry cos I brought her to both centres - In fact, she stayed whole day at Mulberry incl. nap and spent abt 1hr or so at Creative-O.

I've already registered her this morning and met the Principal too. And, I was advised to start my DD next week cos, she's starting K2 and the first month is where all the decision-makings i.e. by the children had to be made. Hence, Principal doesn't want my DD to come in Feb and have the decisions all made up for her - sounds so 'serious' right? Nevertheless, I have this 'good' feeling that DD#1 will enjoy her stay in Creative-O esp. with her love in Arts, this school complements it perfectly.

Happy New to You!

And Pink Piglet,
I went to Learning Vision too but preferred the the Principal and (K2) teachers in Mulberry - but, Learning Vision and its curriculum is more established than Mulberry,of course. As for value for money, besides Creative-O, Mulberry is #2 as theirs incl. all afternoon enrichments. So, sometimes it all depends on how well u clik w the teachers/principal and ur gut feeling too.

But, isn't Acer too troublesome for you? Btw, which level is ur child in? Creative-O's location nearer to JTC Summit than Acer, that's for sure
happy.gif
You can try calling them if you're interested.

Oh! There's Mindchamp Pre-School which juz opened last month, right? But, they're super ex la... out of my budget ;p

Happy new year to you, Dadelina!

Congratulations to your girl's enrollment! believe she will enjoy.

Mulberry school fee includes a lot of enrichment classes, such as swimming class, phonics. But not all, e.g the speech and drama need to pay $96 per month.

Besides principle, you need to watch the teachers. Good communications with teacher-in-charge do make good progress for the child.

Btw, Mulberry has its website for your ref:
http://www.mulberrylearning.com/index.html

Cheers,

Hi again...
Mulberry in acer incl.all enrichment i.e. theatrical works, dance, creative art, science alive and multimedia.

I enrol my gal at je branch in Jan. We like the environment hence sign her up with the school. We never visit acer branch Coz it's too out of place for us.

I see that she look forward to going school everyday. She seem very fond for a few teachers. There were a few days where she cried but I think she wanted me to join in the fun in school.

And the amazing thing is from her "new" behavior and action, we can figure out what she learn at school. Eg there is one day she swing both her arms like rowing a boat, and mumbering row row..boat...merry merry...

We visited a few other Childcare before settling on this one. Given another chance I think I will still choose this school.

hi pinkypiggy,

congrats on your girl's enrollment.

Happy to hear that she enjoys the school life.

How old is she? Guess in N2?, My girl in N2 too...

Hello Yuxuan, she is now in PN which I heard will be merged with N1 soon. I think it's Coz the class size is small. See you around in school
happy.gif

Recently the school Bus has increased the fare by $10 for one way and $15-30 (for 2 ways depending on the distance) starting from March. Since 2009 LH Transport has increased the rate $10 every year. My house is only 4 bus stops away from the Jurong East Centre and they charge $80 for one way and now want to increase to $90. That is 12.5% increase which I think is too much. Are there any mummies whose kids are taking the sch bus?
Sometimes I have to work late so I have no choice to put my child on the sch bus but a lot of my friends told me they only pay $50-$80 for 2 ways for their primary sch kids. I cannot understand why LH is charging so much. And I hate their "Take it or leave it" attitude. Had some bad experience with their staff but since they are the appointed sch bus operator, LL also no choice but to let my kid takes their bus.
sad.gif

Does anyone have feedback on Mulberry's new centre at Tanjong Pagar? I heard there is some ventilation problems with the unit that the centre is located at.

Hi Shi Hui,

Just went down to visit Mulberry at Tanjong Pagar and really like the environment and cleanliness of the place. My son and gal were playing happily at the school so most prob, I might sign up for this school. The best part is we can go for trial lesson but of cos, they charge $50. So thinking to go for the trial and if everything is fine, will sign up.

So, did you decide on this school in the end?

hi, anyone put your child in the acer branch? im thinking to put my girl there when she turn 18mth. i have visited the centre, the teacher who went thru the program and place with us was nice, but we find her abit short tongued when she talk. Also there's not much outdoor space for the kids to run around right ?

Hi Mummies, I have to say Mulberry's quality drops a lot due to their fast expansion. From my observation in JE centre(their first centre), I wish to transfer my child to another available one

YuXuan,
Thanks for sharing with us about your experience at Mulberry. I was contemplating putting my boy there (n1) but I am now a bit worried as the fees are quite steep. Not really sure whether it is worth putting him there or bite the bullet and enrol him in more established centres although the school fees are higher there. Or just keep him in his kindergarten.

The school claims to be providing a true bilingual teaching. Wondering whether your kid has benefited from it as I would really like my kid to be fluent in both languages.

Hi Elaine,
I haven't signed up yet. Did u go for the trial? If so, any experience to share?

I like the premise alot, and feels its quite an attractive env for kids. Still thinking bout it as it's quite ex.

Hi Yuxuan,

Oh, I didnt go for the trial lesson in the end. I am considering another school currently. Yes, I think the environment is quite attractive for kids just that the fees is really on the high side.

hi Elaine,
Can u share which sch r u considering? is it also near tg pagar?

I may enrol my kid in kindergarten instead of ccc if cant find a gd one ard tg pagar.

Hello Mummies, I am also currently considering Mulberry (Acer or JE) and hope to get more comments and feedback. Creative-O is on my list too but they are full and the waiting line is quite long. They didn't even let me do any center visit till next year since they are full. Hope to hear from more mummies on their experience with Mulberry.

HI Shi Hui & Elaine,
My boy is in the Mulberry TP half day program. The permise is very clean & attractive especailly the little gym area. If u r looking for CCC ard TP area, think this a good choice.

So far, my boy enjoy the program include gym class(engage outsource personnel), water play and sand play every week.

I am also considering Mulberry JE for my gal for N1 next year. The fees are indeed steep but if u deduct out the enrichment classes they include like swimming (advantage of being at the swimming complex), speech & drama, music & movement, Science Alive,etc, probably I would take $200 as a gauge ? Then $750 per mth (after working mother subsidy) less out $200 = $550 sounds reasonable?

Currently my gal attending those under void deck childcare. Only $300 per mth but she is already picking up bad habits....

So sad Bt Batok area doesnt hv good childcare.... so i guess i have not much choice.

dear Mummies. Both my kids got vacancies in Creative O so they are transfering there starting next year. I would like to let go those school uniform of Mulberry. I have:

Boy's: 2 sets of morning uniform (XS &S size each)
my boy is on PN half day programme. Bought S then too big for him then bought XS again. so S is absolutely new. XS is also quite new as he only started his child care since This September

Girls( N2): Morning Uniform Dress: 1 set S, 2 sets M
Afternoon Jumpers: 1set S, 2 Sets M, 1 set L

All are well worn, but still in good shape. L size afternoon Jumpers were newly bought in September as M size waiste is too tight for her. The T shirt is kept brand new.

Will Let go at dirt cheap. Mummies please PM me.

Just happen to pass by Creative O and pop by to see the place. Premises really big but find that a bit old and maybe place too big so looks messy.

Is the curriculum really a lot different from Mulberry ? Both are project based but Mulberry JE & CCK has got swimming as enrichment. Teachers at Creative looks experienced as they all look like in mid 40s - 50s. Can anyone feedback?

But honestly in terms of logistic, it will be difficult for my folks to pick her in the evening unless she goes vis school bus. I think in the morning the traffic there also quite bad if we drop my gal.

hello Kayla,

Creative-O let you visit the center? They told me the center has new policy and only allow visit when there is space.

Has visited Mulberry @ Acer. Likewise, the place is quite big as well and since they are new, the environment is good and naturally attractive. In terms of curriculum, I think Creative & Mulberry probably has the same approach - project-based but the latter seems to include spelling & worksheets to address parents' concern on P1-readiness. Also, when it comes to project based teaching, I think it challenge teacher's ability to conduct & deliver the learning objectives as project are dynamic and teachers play a great role to facilitate the process. Creative may probably be able to deliver this better since they are into this for so many years and have good track record. This is not to say that Mulberry will not be able to do so but it does depends on the teachers and how well the center is able to get the teachers to carry out such teaching approach. This is my gut feeling after the visit. Any mummies out there who has kid in Mulberry can provide more insight?

Hi Doreen,

Yes i gate-crashed... gave a lame excuse to say i happen to pass by so want to check something with the adminsitrator. But I could only see some areas as they dont actually allow visit. Its quite messy la....Maybe u try my method?

Quite a few old teachers ... so does that mean good ?

Like mycottonbaby mentioned, Creative O got no work-sheets, so being a kiasu mummy with a very hyper active gal who cant sit still, I prefer a more academic environment to settle her down. But in terms of space, the Mulberry JE seems cramp....

But i have to decide fast as Mulberry JE left few vacancies for N1 2012. So hard to decide....

Hi Kayla,

Why don't you check out Mulberry at IBP. The space is quite big. The fees for both branches probably work out to be more or less the same as IBP includes all enrichment classes. Maybe I should also check out the JE branch to see the difference. I think the age of the teachers does not really say it all but it is the dedication, commitment & passion. What I heard was that most of the teachers at Creative have been there for a long time and they are rather dedicated. That is probably the plus point for this center on top of the principal own involvement. I am also considering Mulberry but am still not sure.

Hi Kayla,

My son is withdraw from JE Mulberry, if you go to check with them, still should have vacancy.

Hi Yuxuan,
Were there specific reasons for your kids withdrawal? I would also be interested in creative o but they have a long wait list.

I am also considering Orange Tree. Any feedback from any mummies?

Hi Mummies,

Wanted to check any update review regarding Creative-O? I am considering to enroll my son to the center but need some advises from Mummies. Thanks!!

Hi all Mummies,
Am considering Mulberry JE cos live around this area.
My elder boy is studying in Little Skool House Thomson currently, but really find it too far now....

Will be checking out the schools / childcare next week. Hope they got space as i have to enroll my twins too. Tik vacancies sure limited....

Any feedback on other schools around Jurong East/ Clementi area?

Hi, My 4YO is with Creative O since PG. so far so good. teacher wise, they are very experience and well coached by the founder too. well, there are time where there is cock-up. usually is beginning of the year and end of the year. but i think is really small issues as i believe same things will happen to other childcare. curriculum wise also not bad. my daughter learn quite alot from their daily activities.

i agree that the place look old. but i think its ok. at least it is spacious and bright. i thot what's most important is whether the teacher can "connect" with the children. and i think they connects well. the aunties there are caring too.

my daughter was with a big name childcare b4 she joined creative o. they have very nice environment and well structured curriculum listed online. BUT they just can't deliver. their fees is even higher than creative but their teachers and staffs quality is just not there. they experience shortage of man power and they don't follow the curriculum. when i ask why, she say student not enough... ridiculous right? does it mean if the centre can't get enough student then you forever don't follow the curriculum? that time my girl never want to put on the uniform and never hear her talk about the childcare. everyday is like fighting a war to bring her to childcare. now at creative o is alot better.

BUT one thing i don't like about creative o is that they don't have programme for child below 3YO. now i got headache to find another childcare for my younger girl.

chanced by mulberry website. then find out that their je branch is old town4kids. *disappointed*.cos heard negative feedback from a colleague who enrolled his son there. don't know about the cc at acer. now headache after reading all the comments on internet.

Can share what negative comments on JE mulberry?
My gal joined in Feb and after 6 weeks only we see she improves a lot. She enjoys her teachers as she always talk about them. She's in N1 class.

Initially wa wanted Creative O but place looks old and not so accessible too as my dad will be taking bus to pick her.

Also Mulberry got swimming class so weekend free up can go other classes or just rest.

last year i remember he mentioned about things like good teachers already left. the new batch of teacher not so experience and wasn't able to give sufficient attention to all children. something happened to his son and the teacher didn't provide good explanation for the incident but push responsibility instead. recently he came to tell me that he had enough with the childcare and likely will change next year. i didn't ask in detail why.

anyway since your child is enjoying herself there and you have no alternate choice when accessibility is a concern then don't think too much le. i got to agree with you that it is definitely a plus point for the childcare to have swimming class.

Hmm, Maybe his son is in other classes. My gal N1 teacher in charge has been there for quite sometime. Her own daughter also in the Pre-nursery class there. So I guess she will not leave the school so soon ba.

Ya, I guess I have no choice as the area i live in (Bukit Batok) dont really have good childcare around. If there is someone to take care of my gal, I would rather she goes to a kindy. More focus on academic as my gal is the playful type.

GraceHouse Kindergarten is know to be quite good.

Saw Mulberry JE. Principle sounds good and confident. Overall environment looks alright too. But the fees are so high $750 after subsidy.

Went to Cherie Hearts at Chevron. I think environment is so-so, not as nicely decorated as Mulberry, but fees definitely cheaper. but the teacher:student ratio is big. 2 teachers to about close to 20+ students in Kindergarden.

I also headache....do like mulberry but fees will be very shiong...

Kayla, Thanks for the recommendation. The location not so convenient for me as I live in Bukit Panjang and my PIL live in west coast area. there are quite a number of popular 2 hr PG classes available around their area and i also prefer my girl to go thru this short hrs class first before she goes to childcare when she turn 3YO. For me I want my children to go through childcare to learn to be independent. but now my PIL's hse is crowded with little grand children and i am afraid that they may not be able to cope so looking out for good childcare first just in case.

Keann, I visited CH@Chevron before. i get to talk to their principal. She doesn't sound passionate in this field lei. curriculum wise quite average. not many teachers around so not sure if they can deliver as advertised. beside having their center residing at a private environment and the brand name, there is really no other thing that impress me. $300 i also find is expensive. In addition, i think CH fees is exclusive of enrichment classes right? i think Mulburry@JE fees inclusive of swimming class and the special multimedia program.

But I don't mean that expensive mean good.
Base on my information gathered few yrs ago, MOST reasonably good childcare fees are within $500 to $700 range after subsidy. considering mcys rule of 1 teacher to 8 children, how much the childcare need to charge on the fees in order to covers their overhead? generally i feel if they promised low teacher to children ratio, the fees will goes up. if fees is cheaper then you should expect the place to be crowded with children and the teacher will have less attention on individual child lor.if the childcare is not expensive and there is not many children in their centre, suggest you gather more information on the childcare before you put your child there. that is personal view lor.

If you are working mama, you may want to try looking for good childcare near your work area which offer special rate for staffs. for creative, i think their staffs is paying about $200 lesser if i remember correctly.

WWT,

Since u are in West Coast Area, there are a number of kindy around if there is someone to take care of your child after he/she comes back after 3 hr class.

Else, there is a Kinderland near the private house near the West Coast Plaza. U may want to consider if you are looking for childcare.

Back