Advise on good kindergarten in the east

kiran

Hi! I am staying in Katong and need some advise on a good kindergarten. I have visited many good ones like eton house, chilternhouse, etc but they are too expensive. I am looking for a 3 hour programme hopefully not more than $350 per month. Any church based to recommend.
Is Bethesda, St. Hilda, Bethany, Christ Methodist good? Currently my son is attending a montessori school and i am paying $800 per month. Its very good but very expensive. He is in nursery 1 now. Any advise is appreciated.

St. Hilda's charges $470 per month before GST, not including charges for books and computer lessons. Computer lessons are optional, and cost $110 per term (x4 for a year), and Books are about $50 to $100 depending on level and language.

If you like discipline and homework, then you will like St. Hilda's. There is tingxie (chinese spelling) for both k1 and k2, as well as english spelling... both once a week. The teachers can be strict, but most are very nice.

I must say the kids are quite well prepared for Primary 1 as a result... but some kids cannot take it... especially if they are very used to the learning through play and not used to very structured programs.

But they are slowly starting to do more hands on stuff, but there is still plenty of worksheet work. There is homework every day, as well as holiday homework.

Some people like it, some people don't... it's really up to the individual.

You say your kid is in N1 now, and doing Montesorri... if you like the structure of st. hilda's, you may want to consider him starting in N2, where the teachers are gentler, because once they are in k1, they are told that they are no longer babies, so the teachers gradually start to get stricter with them. If he goes from montesorri n2 to st. hilda's k1, he may have a hard time adapting.

I've enrolled my boy for nursery next yr at Bethesda Bedok. Their new building will be up by end of this year. Fees - $450 per term (3mths), 3hr every weekday. Not sure good or not. According to the brochure, they have Primary One preparatory program for K2 classes. They use Ginn Reading Series for English language and Scroll Reading Series for Mother Tongue.

Kiran
which montessori school is your child attending?

Amie
I also enrolled my girl for nursery next year. Is your boy your first child? Maybe they will become classmates :eek:)

My son is attending Brighton montessori and i am very happy with the work. Alot of outdoor activities plus worksheet as well. My son is very happy there and i love the school but its so expensive - $800 per month.
Besides St. Hilda's, is Christ Methodist or Good Shephard good? I have heard alot about St. Hilda's achedemic but i dont like the fact that the teachers are so strict.

Hi Hippo2002,
Yes my boy is my 1st child. I wanted to enrol him for pre nursery this yr but all full already, am now on waiting list, hopefully they will open new classes in July. Is your girl in their pre nursery now?

no, she's not attending pre-nursery this year, the class is full. heard about the new class but it is in the morning, timing not suitable for me

so now I home school her lor

Both my kids attended "Hope Community Kindergarten" in Tampines. $450 per term / 3hrs every everyday.

Hippo2002, so that means u chose the 2nd session for nursery too? Then our kids won't be classmates already coz I chose the 1st session
happy.gif
I prefer morning coz it won't affect my boy's lunch & nap time. I'm working so put him in a 2hr playgroup since last yr, $125 per mth, at least he gets to learn and mix around with friends.

Anybody has a feedback on

- Kinderland at marine parade
- Modern Montessori at tampines Mart

for the nursery program i.e. for age group 2.5 years?

amie
which playgroup is he attending now? I can't find a suitable one so I just keep her at home & teach her personally. although she nags me all the time that she wants to go to school. finally pacificy her when we brought her along for enrolment. She's looking forward to her nursery next year :eek:)

mum 2004
I viewed MMI at tampines Mart before. didn't like the environment. Too cramp & a little chaotic (with kids crying)
Josiah environment was nice but I heard some not so good review (like kids didn't learn much) so I didn't try that school.
attended a trial at another montessori school but didn't like it either. out of the 3 hours, only 45 minutes is montessori time. 1.5 hour is snack time and playground. felt like wasting money. so hard to find a good montessori school that is in convenient location and affordable

Kiran
I heard many good review on Brighton montessori but was scared off by their fees !

Yes Brighton is good but too costly. Its good to send them to a montessori school but Brighton is more expensive than the rest!

hippo2002,

My son goes to Little Rainbow playgroup at Bedok Nth void deck. Started putting him there when he was 2yrs old. Not very good but I'm not particular about whether he learns or not, coz at this age, I just wanted him to play more and interact more with other toddlers of his age. Initially still quite ok, 4 students to 2 teachers and he did pick up interests in drawing, colouring, writing, singing with actions etc. Started talking alot too after he started schooling. But now i heard from my MIL the class has expanded to more than 15 students to 3 teachers. My son loves school alot and has made friends, so we will still let him continue for the time being if cannot get a place in Bethesda's pre nursery this yr.

My 2 nephews attend Josiah Montessori since they were 2.5-3yrs old... now one of them is coming to 5yrs old and the other coming to 4yrs old. The older one can now read simple story books (both english n chinese) on his own, he can write n spell quite a number of words and even write chinese characters. I guess the school not bad, but too far for my son who is taken care of by my MIL.

Amie,

I also just enrolled my gal to Bethesda Bedok, will become classmate with your son next year. Currently she is attending a 2hr playgrp at blk 124 bedok north, find it quite good, she was there since last year (i push her in one year earlier). She is learning well and enjoy it.

Cherly
I viewed the Blk 124 playgroup last year
it's a RC, right? I didn't like the classroom because it was shared. in the evening, it is used for tuition and other activities, I was a little concerned about its cleaniness. hehe, maybe because I'm quite fussy lah

hippo,

The teacher is good and my gal is doing well there. As for cleaniness, my gal also hardly get sick. I believe is much depend on individual.

amie,my 3 yr old gal could in the same class as ur boy.She's attending at Blk 4xx.I din realise the class was this big (22 students!) until I asked the teachers so as to prepare goodie bags to distribute for my gal's birthday.She learn to sing & colour and I believe the teachers taught them good habits like brushing teeth n cultivate them to read story books.

Im putting her in PCF kindergarten at Blk 5xx next yr.

Raindrops,
My son is now in Blk 5xx playgroup, my MIL preferred not to send him to the Blk 5xx nursery & kindergarten coz she heard good reviews about Bethesda.

Bethesda class size is larger than PAP. I heard K1/K2 28 to 30 kids. not sure whether there are 2 teachers though. PAP max 24 kids per class

hippo, my MIL lives in Bedok n takes care of my 2 kids, while i stay near Bedok. My 2 kids will go to schools in Bedok area. Hv you decided which primary school for your elder girl? Which kindergarten is your elder girl attending now?

i would say bigger class is ok for nursery or kindergarten to prepare them for primary school, but not for playgroups where the kids are younger and need more attention.

Amie
your elder boy is 3 years old, can start enquiring. I read in another thread some schools need to do volunteer work for 2 to 3 years but not sure whether schools in Bedok need to or not. how old is your younger child?

depending on your exact locations, there are quite a number of good primary schools in Bedok so for convenience better do volunteer work, otherwise kids ended up taking school bus everyday

my elder girl is in PAP right now, I didn't like it so I am switching her to church kindergarten next year.
and yes, I found a primary school within walking distance. I started doing volunteer work in her primary school recently. Very fun leh, interacting with the P1 kids every week

hippo,

My younger one is coming to 1yr old this mth, planning to put him in Bethesda for pre nursery in 2 yrs time. We hv also decided which Primary school for my elder one, n my hubby had recently sent in the application to join alumni, but no reply yet. If cannot get into that school, I dunno which school is good in Bedok. Will volunteer work guarantee the child a place in the school? But i'm working full time, won't have time for volunteer work.

hippo,

I make enquiry on the class side when i register my gal at bethesda, the class for nursary is 24 pax which i think is common.
Its my mum who stay in Bedok to look after my 2 children.

amie

alumni? your hubby is an ex-student of the primary school? your child will have priority, better than parent volunteer leh

parent volunteer doesn't guarantee a place, may still have to ballot, depending on the vacancies left, because MOE is reducing class size every year. Since we are within 1 km, will have priority even if ballot. unless all parents volunteers are within 1 km lah

I want convenience, didin't want my kids to take school bus. I noticed school bus is very early, especially for morning session. If the school is nearby, can sleep later mah :eek:)

Hi Kiran

I would like to correct the fees that Dorie mentioned on St Hildas. It is per term and not per month $470.

My kids are currently attending St Hildas. The teachers there are great especially the principal. Within weeks, My boy was thought to spell and write his name. He is born in Dec2003(N2).

I have 2 friends who send their kids to Seeds. They have good reviews on the school. It is more like a childcare though they are registered as enrichment center. The teacher from Seeds are ex teachers. They would encourage you to put your child full day as their programs run till afternoon.

Hope this infos are helpful to you
happy.gif

amie,my mistake.My girl is attending playgroup at Blk 51x.She's is in the same class as ur boy.heehee...

cherly,Bethesda just newly revonated right?My girl always 'aim' the playarea within the church.

hippo2002,Im staying at the point blk 5xx with my in laws but I bought a unit at Bedok too.Im considering the all girl's school-CHIJ Katong.I hear Yu Neng is good too.

Hi sj
Can you give me more info on St. Hilda's. I know it is achedemic very strong but i have also heard that teachers shout at the kids. I hope to find a kindergarten that focuses on more learn through play yet focusing on achedemic. Some schools have speech and drama or kindermusic too.

Any further reviews on Seeds? I like it but dont like the part that it is indoor.

rain_drops, heehee...your girl still not in the same class as my boy lah, coz my boy is in blk 50x playgrp.

Is CHIJ katong permanently moved to Bedok?
Yu Neng is good too? Anyone considering Red Swastika?

CHIJ Katong moved to Bedok?
aiya, I didn't know leh

didn't track CHIJ balloting statistic. need to ballot or sure get in if within 1 km?

Hi Kiran,
I stay in Katong too. I've just sent my daughter to the playgroup in seeds. Chose seeds coz its very near to my place, and that my neighbour's son was there due to recommendation from a friend as well.
Why dun you visit the school and speak to the person in charge before making decision? However, this neighbour of mine will transfer her son to St Hilda's as per her original plan once she gets the slot.

Hi Kiran

What info would you like? I'm lucky that both my kids have very gd teachers. I requested my girl(K2) to be in the principal's class. In that class, there will be 1 main teacher and the principal will be in the class 3 times a week. So far I have yet to hear any teachers shouting at the kids. And the Aunties in the school are very nice too.

I've heard that 1 parent was not happy with the teacher (2yrs bk). The principal offered to change her child to another class. Now, the teacher is no longer in the school. The teacher was rough with the kids.

Every week, the class will have PE lesson twice. 1 day will be indoor and the other outdoor. Down side is that they have only 2 field trips a year. Before the class starts, they will have assembly. They do have cooking lesson too. The school, has a church programme on Sunday too, Victory kids. There will be bible stories, crafts, etc. Every time you go VK, you will get points and at the end of the month, they will use their points to "buy" things and review what they have learned..

As for Seeds,I don't like my kids in aircon thru out too, even the playground is inside. I was concerned then when I found out the place is not registered as a Childcare centre and they are running it as a CC. What if something goes wrong and who does we approach? I had bad experience with CC so I decided not to enrol in Seeds.

Hi,

I'm also staying in Katong. I've juz enrol my daughter in the playgroup at Holy Family Kindergarten . Can't get a slot in St. Hilda's as the class is full. Any comment about Holy Family Kindergarten?

hippo, i also didn't know chij katong moved to bedok. Loved the old school building, wonder what is it used for now? You have 1 more choice now, can start checking out the school
happy.gif

Hi! My girl has been studying in St Hilda's kindergarden since N2. Now she is in Pri 1 this year. I would say this is a very good school and my girl like it very much. And now she stil miss the teacher there. Its worth to let your child to study there. You won't regret sending your child there.

thanks sj, for the correction... must have been tired... can't believe I posted as per month! sheesh!!!

Wah, quite a few of you with kids at SHK... mine finishing her K2 there...

As for shouting at the kids kiran, well, the K1/K2 premises is such that the nearest classroom is near the gate where the parents wait, and the wall prevents people from seeing into the class... the teacher has to control the class, so sometimes the voice got to be louder a bit... but I think being loud is OK... as long as the teachers are still "respectful" towards the kids in the sense that they don't call them names or insult them or anything like that in their attempt to manage the class. Afterall, the classes are about 24-26 there in the mornings, although the afternoon classes are much smaller.

Those of you who stay nearby, can consider signing up for afternoon... I have heard that the afternoon kids get to do more than the morning kids because there are fewer of them, so the teacher has more time to do more things.

Thanks for all the info. Any one has reviews about School House by the bay? My son is on waiting list for St. Hilda's next year. Just wanted to still find out more about other schools as well.

Yes... if you know where Katong shopping centre is, Ceylon Rd is located at the next bus stop from Katong Shopping centre. So if you take a bus, alight at the stop after KSC, then keep walking in the same direction... the first road you see is ceylon road... between the bus stop and 7-11, where they have two laksa stalls opposite each other and the laksa war still rages on... heh.

Hi,
Any parents enrol their child to Chiltern House at Cresent Rd? Heard that they are moving to East Coast in year 2008. How is their fee for N1?

Hi Kiran,

My gal is in Brighton, but she is in frankel..Is your son in fort road or frankel? Fort road will be more ex than frankel, thats all i know...

Back