ADVISE NEEDED: Dr KT Tan KKH

filo

hi mommies,
Can i hear your feedback abt Dr KT Tan, KKH?

my experience with her seems to be very unpleasant altho i read up that she is popular.

I feel very disappointed and really regret choosing her as my gynae. I know there are many good feedback abt her. but i dont if i am the one who is overly sensitive and expect too much. I am in my 7th month and currently seeing her at private suite.

I used to see her at Clinic B but I transferred to TPS. I chose TPS so that i can see her on saturdays bcos weekdays are rather inconvenience for me and hubby.
My first check up at TPS, i asked her if i can still see her at clinic B for future appt. and she replied in a rather loud and angry tone "u cannot choose wherever you like. you want to see me here (tps), then u see me here. over here is more expensive you know, delivery also more expensive here. over there is cheaper!". I was rather taken aback by her response. but i thought maybe it was me..asking such a stupid question

the next check-up, she said i got a low placenta. and when i asked her where is the position now (meaning low as in covering my cervic or just near my cervic) she replied again, in her rather harsh tone "it's low. it's over here, it's low!". As a gynae, i think she should be explaining more abt it and she should be able to give me a more precise answer abt where my placenta is.

during my 16th week check up, i asked if she was able to see the gender. and she replied again, in her harsh tone of voice. "over here we dont do that. you want to know you go for your (detailed) scan". I thought this was "funny" bcos i know by 16th week, gender is visible. furthermore, my cousin who was seeing another dr at tps said that she knows the gender from the doctor during her check up at 16th wk.i think it's more bcos she just wanna make it quick and not bother to really scan. in all my scan, she has never even showed me the baby body parts or what the baby is doing or even the baby weight (even when i asked for it, she said "now still early to tell" even when i am already 6 mths).

i really feel jealous, when i hear other mommies telling me that their baby is sucking the thumb or waving to them or how sharp their baby nose is. bcos for my case, i have never even seen that at all. only see it once when i went for my detailed scan at ADC. for my check up, she will straight away just go to the baby's head to measure the circumference. doesnt even tell me the measurement! and not even bb weight

It really saddens me that i am not given the chance to see my baby move or even see my baby facial feature on the screen during scanning. i dont even know if my bb is waving or punching around (gosh i am crying as i am typing this)

When i went for my detailed 20th week scan, i asked the sonographer abt my placenta position and the sonographer said it was mid anterior. but when i went to see dr tan, she said it is low and does not elaborate further. so who do i believe the sonographer or the gynae?

and for my latest check up, i asked her how is my baby position and she said "baby head is down" i asked if it's anterior or occitiput or is it facing right or left...and she said in her agitated tone of voice "the baby is down and facing down" that wasnt the answer i was expecting from a senior gynae like here.
i asked again abt how's my placenta position now (bcos if i dont ask, she will just keep quiet and keep to her cold ways) she said "still low"
i asked "is it covering my cervic" she said "no, but it's low"... i asked "what does it mean? can i deliver normal" she said in her agigated tone of voice "no, caesarian" and that was it. no further explaination.

i cried after my check-up. DH has to comfort me. am i the only one given this kind of cold treatment??? my DH was really upset abt her PR skills. DH said that this is the last straw and we shouldnt be paying to see such a doctor. she is cold, doesnt smile and
doesnt even said "bye" when my elder one says
"bye bye doctor" to her. she doesnt explain things in details and get agitated when we ask question.

What should i do? dh wants me to see another gynae? should i change to another gynae in kkh or should i see a pte gynae? i know it is too late but really i cant bear to go thru labour with her and worst, she wants me to go thru c-section bcos of my low placenta. i read up alot of placenta previa and got to know that as long as it doesnt cover the cervic i can deliver vaginally. why does she say that i have to go thru c-section when mine doesnt cover the cervic? i really want a normal birth. should i get another gynae opinion abt this placenta problem. the KKH sonographers doesnt think that my placenta is low. in fact 2 sonographers at ADC scanned me and said mine was mid anterior.

pls advise, mommies

Hi fsa,

I'm KKH TPS patient though Dr KT Tan is not my gynae. My colleague whom delivered last year Oct was seeing her and she is not satisfied with her too. She also want to change gynae halfway but did not because she said apparently it is very troublesome to do so.. I didn't ask in detail and I'm not sure why it is troublesome.

I think you should seek a 2nd opinion or change gynae if the doctor is really so cold and unfriendly.

Actually low placenta can moves up during later stage of pregnancy, so do not be too worry about this right now. What is important is being comfortable with your gynae.

Hi fsa

I am seeing KT Tan and currently also 7 month pregnant. She delivered my elder boy. I agree with you that at times she is cold and she is a woman of few words, she is not like those in the private practice whereby the gynaes tend to talk more. Last time I oso told my hubby tat she is cold and talk so little and every appt so fast come out and thot of switching gynae. But in the end I still sticked to her and also went back to her when I have my 2nd baby. My few frens oso went to her and their first impression is also the same. Overall, I find her still ok as she is rather experienced and cos over at KK, I understand most senior consultants talk very little. I did my amnio test with another senior male consultant, he also quite cold and few words. But guess tats the rate we are paying at KK compared to pte practice where u pay much more so they obliged to talk more to you. However, if u really feel uncomfortable with her, maybe u shd try change to another gynae soon. I also experience low placenta last pregnancy but it managed to move upwards and eventually i had a natural birth. Hope it helps.

thanks pastries and hopper.

AFter hearing your comments, i really feel that i should change gynae.
but i dont know who else should i see in kkh. i prefer a gynae who takes time to explain abt my condition rather than rush thru the whole session. dr kt tan seems to be very impatient. i cant imagine my labour if i continue to see her.

any recommendation?
i asked the kkh appt hotline, they say i can just call to make appt with another gynae. so that doesnt sounds too troublesome

Hi fsa,

I tried to PM you but you do not accept PM. Not sure u prefer female gynae or male gynae...

From what you wrote, it is unacceptable to me as well. At 4th month, my gynae already told me the gender of the baby without me asking. He also will tells me the weight everytime and since week 24 onwards, he will try to get a good angle of baby's face and print out 2 or 3 for me. Once, he even scan whole baby and explained the different body parts of the baby just because my hubby want to video tape it (even though that is after 5th mth detail scan). Though I have some unhappiness over one hospitalisation issue, but overall still ok with him.

And I don't agree with Hopper (no offence) saying we are paying lesser then private gynae outside. Seeing KKH senior consultant at TPS is expensive lor, delivery charges are also expensive. My friends have being telling me I can get better service seeing private gynae from the rate I'm paying.

hi pastries,

your gynae seems to be so much nicer than kt tan. may i know who he is?

i wasnt even allowed to do any taping and the print put she gave was just the head circumference...meaning all i get is a circle. that's all.

i wanna know if other patients of dr kt tan have similar experience with me.

to me, KK is expensive! especially when u're in tps.

Hi fsa,

I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences.

I am currently 9 month pregnant and also seeing Dr KT Tan at TPS. I started seeing her since I found out I am pregnant. All my consultations with her have been pleasant so far.

I agree that consultations with her are very fast and she is not those chatty type that will spoon-feed patients with a lot information unless necessary. However, hubby and I like her style as we find her direct and efficient.

She always greets me with a smile and asks, “How are you?” when I went for my consultations. After my consultations, she will say, “Good bye and see you in xx weeks”. During consultations in the 1st and 2nd trimester, she always shows us the baby, from head to toes, measures the length and tells us whether it is average. At 16th week, my hubby also asked her about the gender of the baby. However, she says that she is not able to see because my baby lies in such a position that blocks the view. She added that we will know during the detailed scan. If our baby moves during the scanning, she will also point out to us. Once she even happily asked us to see our baby’s legs are very long and even commented that baby can do gymnastics in future.

At consultations after the detailed scan (when we get to know the gender), she will still asked me whether I know the gender of the baby and zoom in to the baby and tell me the gender. Even now, when I am 9 month pregnant, she still zoom in and tell me my baby’s gender. She also let us hear the baby’s heartbeat and tell us whether the heart rate is normal. She then zooms in to point out the different parts of the baby. We also get to know the weight of baby during each consultation since week 28. She also tells us the baby is head down, face down, in good birthing position even as early as when I am 7 month pregnant.

At my last consultation, as I have increased discharge, I do not know whether it is leaking liquor or just normal discharge. So she asked me questions about my discharge and subsequently said that as I am a 1st time mum, I have no experience and may not know, so she immediately do an amicator test to assure me that my water bag is not leaking. Though I already know the signs of labour to look out for, she still repeats them and tells me when and where I should go in case I have these signs of labour before I see her again. She even further highlighted that I do not need to go hospital under certain situations like “show” etc.

I would say, throughout my pregnancy, whenever I have issues that I am concerned with, I will tell her direct and she checked immediately. She cleared my doubts, provide the necessary info that I need to know and at the same time, does not say extra things to make me worry.

Recently, my hubby found out that his long-time hair stylist’s 2 boys are also delivered by Dr KT Tan. She told my hubby that we are in good hands. She said she had a difficult labour during her 2nd delivery and Dr KT Tan keeps encouraging her during labour.

Overall, I felt assured and safe under Dr KT Tan’s care.

It's envious that you are treated so well when you are with her. Am i the one who is difficult here? am i expecting to much?

it troubles me that she gets agitated when i asked her questions.

Hi fsa,

My colleague also had similar experience with you, that the Dr is not helpful in answering her questions, esp she being a 1st time mum. Her husband is equally unhappy too.

My gynae is Dr Benjamin Tham. There is a thread about him and other KKH doctors under 'Motherhood, Pregnancies and Babies' section. I think different people had different expectation about gynae.. I too, had some unhappiness about my doctor but overall still ok. Perhaps I have too high an expectation to begin with.

But if my doctor were to treat me like how she treated you, I would definitely change gynae and also feedback to KKH.

hi pastries,

it seems that she has double standard. summerdreams was treated very well by her. i dont understand why there was so much raves abt her over here when she actually gives some of her patients substandard treatments.

i forgot to add that when i asked for a print out of my scan. she said "i can only give one, you want more, we have to charge you". i didnt know that other gynae actually gave 2 and 3 print outs and takes time to show baby face and all that.

i'm so upset

Hi filola,

I also don't understand why different people being treated differently?? But you should care about your own feelings, since it is your pregnancy and being comfortable with the gynae is very important.

Don't be upset over this. Just do what you deem fit.

Take Care!

Hi filo,

I don't ask her specifically for print-out and she usually gives me only 1 scan print-out. On 2 occasions, she gave me 2 scan print-outs.

I think different people have different expectations from their gynae. For me, I do not have much expectation from people and I also observe the tone that I used when speaking to them, so I find that usually I was treated nicely. I do "homework" too as I read up a lot of books, including the one co-authored by Dr KT Tan, and gather a lot of information whenever I have doubts. Before I go for consultations, I will always organise what I want to tell/ask her.

I told my hubby about your experiences with Dr KT Tan and he was surprised to hear these. My hubby had accompanied me for every consultations and he was very pleased with her too.

Pregnancy should be an enjoyable experience. If you are upset, maybe you should consult someone whom you are more comfortable with? It would be sad that you go for consultations feeling unhappy. I read in your 1st posting above that you have an older child. Why didn't you go back to your previous gynae for this pregnancy?

summerdreams,
i think i am no where near impolite when i talk to her. in fact i asked my question politely. i too organise my questions, but somehow the response i got from her was unacceptable. i believe all mothers want her gynae to explain her current condition. some gynae do so without having asked to but some dont. and for dr tan case, when asked, she gets agitated and did not give further explaination. i do not want to go back to my previous gynae due to location. kinda far for me now.

it seems that dr tan treats different patients differently...you and your hub seems shocked when u hear my experience.

pastries,
thanks for your words. i will call kk to ask abt how i can give feedback.

Hi filo,

Please don't misunderstand my words. I am also puzzled at the difference in her responses. As our consultations have been pleasant so far, and recently my hubby's hair stylist also told him about her good experiences, hence, we were indeed shocked to learn of your experience.

I do understand why you are upset and hope that you will have a more pleasant experience.

Hi filo,

I'm sorry about what you go through. I was with Dr Benjamin Tham last year. I find him patient and assuring. But I was puzzled why he didn't give me bed rest even though I was spotting during my 2nd month. Perhaps my spotting wasn't that serious that is why he didn't issue me medical leave. Anyway I didn't ask for it also. At times I do feel that he tend to "rush" through the consultations, I guess it was due to the great number of patients he had to see each day.

But after checking my a few friends who seen him before, they all said if baby is doing well, the consultation usually short and sweet. But my gynae did tell me the weight of my baby and the positioning of the baby. However some of my friends who were seeing private gynaes, they do said that they can see their baby sucking the thumb or waving to them etc. This is something I didn't experience. Perhaps this is the main difference between some private and government gynaes.

But reading your experience with this gynae, in my personal opinion, I'll not continue to put myself in this unpleasant experience.

Hi fiola,

Hope you are able to find a suitable gynae!

Hi Cocoa,

You are also under Dr Benjamin Tham. So far, I think he is considered very patient, especially I have alot of 'silly' concerns and qns. I also came to realise that if all is well and normal, there is nothing much for the gynae to say. Intially I always expect the doctor to advise alot of things, but I realised I need to prepare my questions to ask, if not, the consultation will be very short.

I think popular gynae had this problem ya.. too many patients to handle. What I do not like is I discovered that he did not read thru' my file before the consultation (I had some couple A&E visits). It is quite a huge minus point for me despite he being very patient and friendly.

Baby suckling thumb or waving, I thought it depends on the timing of the scan and not the doctor right? If the timing is right, then it can be captured. I had seen baby suckling thumb and yawning during the scan at ADC and the Sonographer printed out for me.

Ya, same as you, I thought the doctor will "automatic" advise me alot of things on what food to avoid, what to expect during my pregnancy etc. But after 1st few consultations, I realised I need to prepare my questions if not the consultation will be very short.

Hee, I had this perception cos it seemed like many of my friends who were seeing private gynaes seemed to be given more time enjoying the scan each time they visit. I only got more time to observe my baby was only during the detailed scan. Other scans were usually very brief. But I guess I must understand la cos there were many patients out there waiting every time I visit.

But I happened to know that Dr Benjamin's wife passed away recently. It's really sad to know about this...

Really??...... No wonder my colleague whom is also seeing him told me he is on urgent leave this week. The nurse told her is due to family problem...

He is still quite young.. So sad to hear this. Hope he is taking it well!

Hi filola

Sorry to hear about this. I very much agree with summerdreams that pregnancy should be an enjoyable one. I'm surprised she is giving you this sort of treatment.

KT Tan was my gynae at TPS and she delivered my baby early this year. My hubby and I always think she is not the gentle but a (super) fast, serious and decisive sort of gynae. We intend to go back to her for my 2nd preg.

Her consultations are indeed very brief. In fact, I like that she is super fast. I personally do not appreciate doctors who spend too much time with patients and make other patients in the queue wait for a long time.

Her consultations are pretty routine at every visit. Like summerdreams, she greets me and asks me how I have been. Usually, I will take out my notes and read to her my updates. If there isnt any problem, she quickly proceeds to the scan, where she points out the different parts of the body and lets me hear the heartbeat. She told me the gender once she could see that my baby is a boy. In fact, everytime we did the scan, she will confirm the gender. As for the print-outs, she 'automatically' gave us the prints but I did noticed that towards the end, she didnt give us the prints, anymore. We did not request as well.

Oh, for my very last consultation after my delivery, she had more words than usual, she asked me when I plan to have my next baby and we briefly chatted about it.

I guess I'm pretty 'lucky' that my overall experience with her had been a pleasant one. Or perhaps people who have her as gynae already told me what kind of person she is and so I was sort of prepared already.

But filola, if you are getting this sort of treatment and that this is bothering you, you should consider changing a gynae (since you are paying $$).

Hi filola.

I was also a Dr KKT patient at clinic B. My experience with her was also super fast. At my first visit, I asked a lot as Im a first time mum... She quickly gave me the KKH info booklet and introduced her book. That's it... As I prepared myself for her fast and non-chatty style, I was ok for it... Yet I still visited her coz in case of complication, a experienced dr like her can handle. Also, I heard from a forummer that during delivery, she's very professional. I delivered normally by her... I find she was ok... Maybe because my case was easy... But when I asked her how many stiches, she refused to answer leh...

However, my post-natal visit, I was not very comfortable with her pap smear work, I felt a bit painful and her handling was not very gentle... Not sure if it's because my vagina not fully recovered yet after delivery... Long time ago, i did my pap smear during a pre-conception check-up with a Consultant in TPS, I found she's very gentle, saying that 'Dun tense up, it will be a bit un-comfortable' to calm me down before doing the pap-smear...

Finally, I think I won't come back to her for my 2nd child... Dr KKT is not the one who will entertain all your enquiries... So I think u'd better visit those that can answer ur enquiries...

Hi Cocoa and Pastries,

I am Dr Benjamin Tham's fan. Hehe... So glad to have him as my gynae. He see me through 1st and 2nd trimester bleeding. I am hospitalised twice b4 my delivery and Dr Tham visited me even though I am not in Class B1 n above. During my 3rd trimester, I am very emotionally upset due to my bb low weight gain. But Dr Tham assure me by showing me facts that my bb is of good weight. I wun have successfully deliver my bb without Dr Tham.

Cocoa, may I know how u get the news about Dr Tham's wife? He still happily joking with my hubby about having no. 2 when we bring our daughter to see him while doing her checkup in mid-Mar. If it is true, I will feel very sad for him. He is a good man who do alot of good deed. He certainly dun deserve to lose his wife. Sighs...

fsa,

Wonder if u have changed ur gynae yet? IF u keen on changing, perhaps u can try Dr Benjamin Tham, he is also in TPS. But I think KKH has a policy that u cant see a gynae onli from week 30 or is it 32. Paiseh, cant remember the exact timing. U can check with KKH.

Ya, I like him alot. I will definitely look for him again if I'm pregnant again.

I got the news from this forum as some mothers got the news from the obituary page last week. It is really sad. Life is really fragile, so unpredictable. I guess what we can do for him is to keep him in prayers. Hope he will be strong for his two kids.

hi fsa,

i gave birth last yr and was under tps with dr tan oso.. at 1st i oso find her liked very cold but after dat my experience was juz liked summerdreams. though she toks little.. but its fine wif mi n hubby cos if she toks more means its either i gt problem or my bb gt problem.. we liked her cos she is direct and doesnt beat ard the bush.. den when i suddenly admit due to my waterbag burst.. she quckily went to the delivery suite and c hw am i.. den she trys to poke the needles but cannot find my veins she she can joke wif mi knowing i was really scare.. den when i was waiting in the delivery suite she ordered lunch for mi to make sure i eat b4 i gif birth but due to i didnt dilate.. ard 9+pm.. she rushed back to kkh after her nurses report to her dat my bb's heartbeat wasnt too gd n immediately get mi to c-sect.. n when she c mi in the ops room she smile at mi n ask mi y i cry.. n comfort mi.. saying everything will b fine. den the next day she came to c mi very early in the morning to c hw am i and every morning when she comes over to check on mi she makes sure im doin gd n start to go down the bed to walk ard.. she even told me if i wanna go hm soon i better start walking.. furthermore those days when i was in kkh, it was weekends and she really reach my room @ ard 7+am.. i felt liked i was being taken care of.. and den after i gave birth my mum had cyst, i recommended her to dr tan when dat time she was seeing dr heng [frm east shore] and dr tan was really gd towards her oso.. and my mum gt no complaints.. my mum is someone v fussy de.. but she gt no complaints.. dr tan greets mi when she c mi in my mum's room and she can even rem mi..
i told my hubby shld dr tan move to other hospital in the future, i will still go n find her if i decided to haf a 2nd one.. oh nt to mentioned her stitching is really gd.. by 1st week after my c-sect i can walk normally.. den within a mth, i dun feel pain.. even my mum oso feels the same..
im juz sharing my experience wif dr tan..

but ultimately you r the one facing her.. so if u tink u cannot take it u can consider changing ur gynae.. anyway being pregnant is a happy moment so dun stressed urself too much..
happy.gif

Hi Fsa,

I was under KT Tan too.1st few visit, I also felt that she was very "cold" and doenst want to open her 'gold" mouth, evrytime when go for the next visit, I always teased with HB and predicted wat she will say later, all will be the same as the last visit, Hi xx, how are you? Any bleeding, any problem, check bb heartbeat/scan, ok, any more medicine ok if not i see you next visit. I guess all my visit to her less than 5min lor.I visited her at Clinic B so most of the scanning was not done by her so i dont need her to tell my where my bb head, legs or hands.I was having low placenta too in my earlier pregnancy but she told me there is 90% the placente will move upward so I just believe in her and wait for the good news. But what change my view to her, was the actual delivery day, she was so professional and confidently assisted me in pushing. I think once she entered the delivery room, less than 5 min, my boi was delivered without forcep, vacuum, I was in epi. I mean sometime chatty doctor doesnt mean good too, the most important thing is you need someone experience enuf to handle u safely both urself and baby when come to delivery because we dont know what will happen to our delivery, either smooth one or complicated one. If so unluckily, we have one complicated delivery, i mean i will rather go for the most senior gynea and afterall she had been delivering babies for the past 10-20 years. No doubt i also dont like the way she checking me but I guess for 2nd one I will still consider her because of her good experience in delivering babies, after all I just wan to have a safe delivery to my baby.

*FSA*

I am almost in the same situation as you. I have the intention to change my gynae already. Throughout the FEW visits to her clinic.. i was really very confuse and a little unhappy and BLUR. She did not want to scan the gender for me and say still small. Everytime tell me my baby is small... i have no idea what's my baby doing either! I am already 5months pregnant and have never heard her telling me Oh my baby is punching or whatever... i only see my baby on the screen and trying to figure out what my baby does. I told her i could not swallow any pills and asked if she has chewable kinds which are sweet... (many told me there is!) she said No such tings.. so i asked her, what do i eat then? She said then NO Need to eat.....so till now i am not eating any vitamins etc. Every visit to her is super FAST. I really don't like it. So i will stop seeing her maybe after the next visit. But i have already gone to my ne gynae who is MUCH MUCH better....

The other time i was admited to Hospital.. i was told to go B ward if i want my gynae to visit me.. the ENTIRE day i waited and waited...never see her.. i asked the nurseS & doctor where is DR TAN... they said SHE is coming... in the end before i discharge, i asked where is Dr Tan... they said she is busy cannot come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am also her patient.... but i never see her at all..........

luckily nothin happen... but really dont like her style..... urgh...

Hope you have already gone to a new gynae......

Hi FSA,

I used to see Dr KT Tan for my fibroid situation back in 2007, 2008 after my previous gyne at KKH, Dr LN Sim went private at TMC.

Found that she is cold and not personal as many have described her. As I have started to do family planning and was concerned if the fibroid will affect the baby if I do get pregnant, she replied that many of her patients do not have problems getting pregnant. But the tone of her voice was very exasperated and impatient, like how can I ask her such a dumb question. I was very uncomfortable and dreaded seeing her.

Decided to switch back to seeing Dr LN Sim after hubby and I started family planning. It's really more comforting to see a gyne who shows more concern for you. Am in my 6th month of pregnancy now and I'm glad I made the switch
happy.gif

Hi, I may be a month late, I was told to check out this post.. I wonder when you are treated unprofessionally by your doctor, did you actually speak up? If not, why? we pay for their professional care, and we should be treated equally, whether in a private practice or not is secondary. And yes, I see doctor in private hospital, and the consultation I paid is sometimes lower than my girl friend's in KKH upper class.

Last word about public hospital & private hospital: they are like airlines, you cannot expect the world worst airlines to give you excellent service even at their first class cabin! Or you can't ask a Communist to think like a capitalist! Different mentality!

Adding to my previous post about speaking up, I am not saying we have to be rude or confrontational, all we need to is say, "Doc Tan, I would prefer that you tell me in a nicer way", or, "Doc Tan, I am less than 2 feet away, you need not raise your voice." or jokingly (but sarcastically),"relax doc Tan, you can speak to me nicely about this you know?"

it's true what kimberly said. But during my check ups, i think i was just too timid and worried, especially aft being told off when i asked her questions regarding my pregnancy. Anyway, I decided not0 to pursue with the complain. Cos over here, it seems that there are patients who are happy with her. Maybe she doesnt like me and also the mummies here who also had the same bad experience with her
sad.gif
anyway, another serious matter which made me so unhappy with her is abt placenta position. Cos I went to see a pte gynae a week aft seeing her and to my surprise, i was told that my placenta is not even low! In fact, It's high up but in anterior position! The dr took time to show me and explain to me where my placenta is. Therefore, i can conclude that dr tan has misdiagnosed me! So the detailed scan report that was done at kk was correct too, in d report it was stated 'mid upper anterior'. Dr tan said the report was incorrect cos she said my placenta is low. I was so relieved after getting a second opinion. And i'm so glad i made the switch.

Hi,

My daughter was delivered by Dr KT Tan last year. Basically she is someone of few words. If you need more information, you have to ask her to explain. Else, she gives you answers that are sometimes as good as none like "its common", "its normal". Its frustrating sometimes but when I ask for more information, she did give me very good answers. She explain to me my low placenta with drawings. And also when I was almost due and not in labour, she explained to me the risks of overdue baby as well as the risks if I induce.

Despite my frustrations with her sometimes for giving me little info and not being very "motherly" or "sympathetic", I am glad that I stuck it out with her all the way. At the time of delivery, she is extremely professional. In the middle of the night, she is able to rush to the hospital within the hour that I arrived. After checking me, she can even accurately predict what time I would deliver. My daughter had her cord slightly round her neck but Dr KT Tan was observant enough to notice it very early and handle the situation well.

In summary, if you need a doctor who is very "sympathetic" and always sayang your, give you lots of info, dun choose her. But if you can live with minimal info and just trust her, stick with her for the experience and professionalism. When I have my 2nd child, I will still go to her coz I rather my baby be safe and I find my info elsewhere. Anyway, if you ask nicely, she does give proper explanations.

Re: Low placenta
There are 2 different kinds of "low placenta positions". One is the real low placenta position aka Placenta Praevia. The placenta covers the opening its confirm c-sec.

The other is when the placenta covers the opening slightly or is too near to the opening. As your womb stretches, it may shift higher. If it goes up, you can have a normal delivery. If it doesn't, you need to c-sec. Note that some gynaes do not refer to this as low-lying placenta as its not really placenta previa.

If I din remember wrongly, in KK, they go by as long as the clearance is less than 5cm, they will classify as low placenta. But other gynaes have different guidelines. If your placenta-opening clerance is insufficient, its very risky to allow a natural delivery because (1) opening is blocked by the placenta & baby gets stuck or (2) placenta dislodges due to the stretching of the opening during delivery & baby may be stillborn (coz when placenta dislodges, baby has no oxygen supply anymore).

Dr Tan saw me at Clinic B at Week 3, then moved to Private Suite from Week 5 until Week 38 when I gave birth. She never say much during my consultation. Waiting time can be 20 mins to 1 hour but consultation is only 5 mins.

There was one time we spent more than 10 mins with her, she persuaded me to go for amnio. Sometimes, less things said may be good news.

I gave birth at week 38, she checked on me whenever she's not doing consultations. Even after she went home, she called the delivery suite to check on me.

My take is if you are uncomfortable with her, then change gynae. I like her being chop chop, even in the end I had to go for emergency c-sec, I'm still thankful for her. Baby and I were in good hands. Really.

Trust her and don't be overly paranoid.

I'm sure everything will be okay.

Hi,
I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and am a patient of Dr Tan's at the TPS. I have to say that I agree with Filo totally! Dr Tan is a woman of very few words and her check up sessions are so standardized.. I am barely in the consultation room for more than 5 mins each time... its like a mad rush. After her standard qns ,she proceeds to the scans and only measure the baby's head circumference EACH TIME!! Till date I have not gotten to see the face or other body parts n i only receive 1 print out just showing the head, which is quite pointless to me. she also said that if I want more print outs I need to pay. The only detailed scan I was asked to go was the 5th month scan during which she said that I have a low lying placenta and I should avoid sexual activities n so on..But the placenta prob is ok now n she said that I can try for normal delivery. so dun worry abt the placenta issue. I stuck to her as I know she is very experienced. My advice to you is...if you are looking for some gynae who has the personal touch.. then Dr KT Tan is not the one for you.. but if you looking at someone with exp and knows what she's doing.. then she is definitely the one..

i'm a patient of dr tan and i find her ok? yeah she speaks very little but basically i dun have any problems so no info relevant to me she won't share and i also dun see the need to know... since so much can be found on forums and books..

the only thing i had was glucose in urine sometimes, which she said is ok since my oral glucose tolerance test result is normal.. so i dun ask about tat anymore.. as for scans... i dun believe in scanning everytime, so i only scan when she sees a need... can save some money too.

perhaps i already know she's not the chatty type so i already have tat when i decided to choose her as my gynae, and same as other patients of hers, we choose her for her experience, not for her personality. she is generally motherly la, and she has joked with me a few times but really must see timing. if towards end of the day not tat many patients she may be able to chat more, if not a chop-chop consultation to see tat everything is fine is also fine by me...

if the disposition of gynae is very impt to you, then choose others who are more chatty...

Hi,

I was also a patient of Dr Tan and y 2 kids were delivered by her. Agree she really is a dr with few words and consultation is short. But she is very very experienced. Was very comfortable with her esp during the delivery process.
happy.gif

I am still seeing her yearly for my pap smear. She might not be the gynae for those who prefers a chatty one like what amk_gal says, but she really is one who is very experience, and i always feel safe in her hands.

Hi everyone,

It's great to read up on the experiences from everyone and be reassured once again i'm not into this alone. I too, just like Filo had the same problem. I'm about 37weeks and was so distressed after my last week consultation with Dr.KT Tan that i wept and wanted another gynae to do my delivery. I was already seeing her since i was 20weeks pregnant.

My previous gynae in Malaysia informed me that i had a large fybroid growth in the womb next to the entrance. I had lots of info from him but had to return to Singapore for my delivery due to personal circumstances. So naturally, i wanted reassurance when i consulted Dr.KT Tan but she got agitated and told me to return to Malaysia for delivery at 37weeks.

She had the same standard of questions everytime i visited her and i assume she didn't even have time to check on my file and told me off when i asked her if she knew where the fibroid was as of 3 weeks ago. (I was told that it would be a disaster if the doctor cuts into the fibroid as it will cause haemorrhage). To make matters worse, she told me that my case wasn't a simple one as compared to others and she made me sign forms to allow removal of my womb should there be a need.

On top of that, she was very rough in doing my pap smear which also, was not thorough. She told me she'll be going on leave soon and adviced me to scedule my caesarean on very limited dates which i'm not comfortable in.

I for one do not ask much of a person but i believe that doctors are here to give you reassurance when there are doubts be it good or bad news and should not just brush anyone aside with their attitude. Right now i'm in a cross road trying desperately to get an experienced and comforting doctor to deliver my baby safely and to maintain my womb without heightening my anxieties.

Hi Eilene,

I feel sorry for you to go through such anxiety during your late pregnancy.

But I'm really taken back by your doctor's comment to ask you to go back to Malaysia for delivery when she is in charge of your pregnancy progress. I personally find this is not professional of her to suggest that to you especially when she had considered that yours is a "complex" case.

I think you should feedback to the hospital about this situation.

I'm not sure if it is wise to switch to another gynae at this late stage. But since you already felt uncomfortable with your current doctor, maybe you should make a switch. (Perhaps switch within the same hospital is "safer" as the new doctor can access to your case file)

I'm was with Dr Benjamin and I find him assuring. And I also heard from my close friends that Dr John Tee & Dr Yeap Min Li are good and patient too. But if you are uncomfortable with male gynae, then you can consider Dr Yeap Min Li.

I know the mommies who are happy with dr kt tan are saying that her "coldness" and her refusal to clear our doubts/questions is not a matter at all b'cos she is very professional when it comes to delivery.
but seriously, there are so many senior consultants, whom i heard from feedbacks, has better PR skills and has more experience than her and who are equally professional when it comes to delivery.

to sum it all, i dont think ANY mommies should be treated the way i was treated by Dr KT Tan. even if the dr is very very experienced, she should still be "more human".

I am not looking for a CHATTY gynae. i just one someone who can clear my doubts, not get agitated when i ask questions and let me see my baby body parts and size and not just the head circumference (i dont even know the measurement too, bcos she didnt tell).

her PR skill is one issue. but the bigger issue to me is the one abt my placenta. i was really, really upset abt her telling me that my placenta is low, when my placenta is not even low. 2 sonographers and prof tan at the ADC scanned me and said that i do not have low placenta, my was written as "mid upper anterior" in the scan report. but when i see dr tan, she says that the report is incorrect and that my placenta is still low and that i will have to deliver by c-section. i am just so glad i got a second opinion from a pte gynae. this placenta issue does not reflect her experience and her professionalism.

Hi Eilene,
I feel sorry for you. i do not think it's too late to change gynae. pls request to see someone else in KK. you deserve better treatment. we are the customer/patient. we deserve to get "value" from our consultation.

and oh yeah, abt her not checking her case file. it happened to me too. bcos i had a fall in the bathroom one morning and i rushed to the 24hr clinic to check bcos i was really worried. she didnt even asked me abt it. but lucky for me, baby was ok

Read all mommies posts on this doc, I agree with Filola, does it mean when a doc is professional in delivery means she can be rude to some of her patients? C'mom she is not a Queen so tell her not to behave like one! And to diagnose a patient having a low placenta when she does not is "PROFESSIONAL"????

I encourage all moms who had been misdiagnosed not only to complain to the health board here but also to find out where she gets her doctor certification and file a complaint with those institutions. As far as I know Doc are very protected here and how sure are we that our feedback will be handled "professionally"?

It's a shame to the health society that there is such kind of profession docs around!

oh, and by the way, I also don't need a chatty doc, but at least I expect the doc to look into my case file. My doc was KKH's head before, she is patient and nice, she even remembered about some doubts I have at the 2nd trimester which only will happen at last phase of pregnancy! In fact I just saw her this morning(adhoc) because my feet was very swollen and whenever I stand stationary for 5mins, both feet turned brown.. She was very concern and slot me into her busy sked, and even patiently explained why there is a need to see her. This is the kind of reassurance we need from our health care personnel.

Thanks a million Cocoa butter, Filo and Kimberly for your kind words.

I will also check with Dr.Benjamin and the list of doctors Cocoa butter mentioned and hope that someone with empathy as well as experience considers my last minute case. (Tks again everyone)

By the way Kimberly, is your doctor still with KK?

I'm a patient of Dr. KT Tan.

Well got used to her "chop chop" consultation.

However one thing after the 20th week scan at ADC, the sonographer indicated low placenta..

then from then she also scan for me which she say placenta still low..

sigh

I'm going for another scan at ADC at 34weeks.. wonder the sonographer can scan how far the placenta is from the cevix??? i really hope to natural deliver my #2.

for my case, adc said mine was normal but kt tan said it's low lying. But now i know she's wrong. She made me believe her. If your next scan says that it doesnt cover yr cervic but dr tan insist on u going thru c section then i think u should get a second opinion. Some dr prefer to play safe and do wat's more convinience for them. I've lost my trust already

Dr KT Tan delivered my baby recently. Even though I am petite and my baby is big size, I was able to deliver naturally.

When my water bag burst late at night and minutes after I arrived at the delivery suite, Dr KT Tan came to see me. I was rather surprised to see her around at such late hour as I saw her at TPS at 7.45am the same morning. Subsequently, I found out from the senior nurse that she just delivered 2 babies and was around when my water bag burst, so she came to check on me immediately.

When I was ready to give birth, the senior nurse informed Dr KT Tan and she arrived within half an hour. She guided me in the pushing and encouraged me in the process. Within 5 minutes, my baby is delivered. Her stitching is very good too. My episiotomy wound heals nicely and I do not need any painkillers few days after giving birth.

While resting after delivery, I chatted with the senior nurse in the delivery suite. She asked me whether I think Dr KT Tan is good and I said yes. Then the nurse added that that’s why Dr KT Tan is very popular and have many patients. She then told me about Dr Tan delivering 2 babies before coming to see me.

Dr Tan left late after midnight and I was surprised (I was still asleep then) when she came to my room at 7am++ to check on my wound and how I am doing. Overall, I felt being well taken care of through my pregnancy. I will still choose her for my next baby.

HI ALL,THINKING OF CONSULTING DR SHAMINI FROM TPS AT KKH FOR MY FIRST VISIT?ANY COMMENTS ABOUT HER???

Summerdreams,

my colleague also praise Dr. KT Tan for her dedication to her work that's why I chose her as my gyne for my #2.

I hope i do not have have to doubt her judgement like filola have to.

cos I'm already very worried abt having to c-sect if placenta is low..
sad.gif

Hi Sunsweet,

Hope your placenta moved up eventually so that you can have a natural birth.

I find her pro-natural because I was quite worried that I have to c-sect because of the size of my baby (more than 3.5kg). However, she never suggest that. I think she doesn't ask for c-sect if there is no need for that.

I think the key here is opting for a doctor that you feel comfortable with.

This is my point of view. Doctors in private practice depend very much on people skills to make a living. Doctors in the public healthcare service however, are less dependent. That said, the facilities in KKH are the best in SG for the safe delivery for any baby. Should any complications arise during delivery at any of the private hospitals, all cases are referred to KKH.

I have no doubt that Dr KT Tan is a top notch medical practitioner and that you'll be in good and safe hands. If you're seeking a more people oriented person, perhaps it's best to change your gynae or hospital of choice.

Hi all,

I was one of the patients with Dr KT Tan. I was pregnant last year but got an abortion around my 5th mth pregnancy. It happened mid last year due to some reasons. Dr Tan was my gynae. She is someone who is really short and sweet throughout my visits with her. And when she found out my pregnancy problem, she immediately took action to get me a genetic paedatrian to give me an advice whether to continue my pregnancy or not. What are the complcations. Both my hubby and me were terribly upset with the outcome and we went back to see her after the consultation. She didn't comment much as she wasn't in the right position to tell me whether to continue my pregnancy as such complication would only be known upon birth. However, she mentioned that we might want to think about the medical fees in future should we continue to carry on. She could arrange for the abortion date but we could cancel if we should like to continue the pregnancy. Don't worry about any inconvenience caused. With much consideration and added from second opinion with another gynae, we went ahead with abortion. Dr Tan was very caring and came to me early morning once I admitted to help me to insert the abortion tablet to induce contraction which is not her job as this is to be done by on duty doctor. After several rounds of tablet induce, my baby finally out. Dr Tan came to see two hours later after my bb came out as I was dizzy after the jab during the contraction. She checked the placenta etc and instructed me to be pushed to OT for womb cleaning up. When I was in, Dr Tan was already in with other doctors & nurses. All were very nice and consoled me as I was very nervous to be in OT but they asked me few questions before letting me to pass out. After the ops, every morning around 7am+, Dr Tan would come to my ward to see me personally to check on me. Follow on, would be her trainee doctor to assess me later on.

Throughout my visits with her, I found her nice and always asked me whether I need to have MC that day or not. Also, not forgetting why I have chosen her as my gynae. I was recommended by my colleague, who she has difficult birth each time when she delivered. On her third round, she chosen Dr Tan through recommendation of her skill. She confirmed Dr Tan is good as she always bleed heavily once delivered. However, on her third delivery, she didn't bleed much. She said only Dr Tan could handle her delivery bleeding well without much bleed. The past two were terrible and experienced two surgery at one delivery after birth. In addition, not forgetting, there are many nurses in KKH, told me personally (without me asking), saying that I shouldn't be afraid as my gynae is very professional with good skill.

I think everyone has different experience with different doctors. It is individual.

Hi filola (and other mummies),

All my children (3 of them, so far) were delivered by Dr Tan. I think I got used to her style. I actually wanted to change gynae for my 2nd and even my 3rd, but my hubby convinced me to stick to her. Sigh, I think he liked the doctor more than I did. Hehehe.

Good luck to u! Try to stay happy and positive ok? For my 1st, I was very emo during pregnancy. I think I had meltdowns on a weekly basis, over the most trivial of matters. After delivery, also perhaps had a mild case of PPD, but I don't know for sure cos I never sought help. So for my 2nd pregnancy, I told myself that I MUST NOT BE weepy (or rather, as weepy as the 1st pregnancy) and in fact, I was a very happy preggy mummy even tho physically it was super draining cos I conceived when my eldest one was only 5 mths old.

Really, take care and enjoy motherhood!

Back