Advice pls: Starting on Solids

hi Littlefire,
My MIL also mix that in my bb porrige when she's abt 7mth old but she reject it so she din use it. Recently my dd 9mth and she's feeding her fish. To get rid of the fishy smell she's adding some soysauce. I ask her not to add that but she kept saying alittle only never mind one. I thot soysauce seems even worst so in the end I bobian ask her to use marmite instead...

So is marmite slightly better then soysauce?

Any suggestion to cover the fishy taste when adding fish to porridge besides using sause?
Thanks.

hi mummies, my boi is 5mth 1wk, now every 3 days feed him either puree or rice cereal. Can i:-

1) Feed him rice porridge now?
2) Understand New corp rice should be use, do i need to blend them first before cooking
3) what are some of the ingredien to add in?
4) For fish / Vege, do i blend them together with the rice and cook them in slow cooker?
5) do i need to prepare stock to cook the porridge?

thanks thanks\

hi littlefire,

I emailed marmite company yesterday enquiring whether it's suitable for bb's consumtion and below is the reply I got. However I'm not very sure 2g = how many teaspoon?

=========================
Thank you for your enquiry regarding Marmite yeast extract.

We do not recommend that Marmite be given to very young children (under
6 months old) who have not started weaning yet. For young children we
now recommend that no more than 2g of Marmite is used and this must be
spread thinly on a slice of bread. Based on this serving a child would
only get around a quarter of a gram of salt per serving. This is half
the salt content of a slice of bread and a quarter of the amount of
salt contained in a 50g serving of cheddar cheese.
=========================================

hi mummies, how to cook porridge with fish/chicken? Can fish/chicken be cooked, pureed and frozen in cubes the way we do for veggies/fruits? Can these meat cubes be added to cereal?

Inc, you can introduce meat like how you introduce all other foods. Steam/boil then blend into puree and strain to remove any large bits.

I personally prefer giving chicken over pork as the biological value of protein is higher in chicken, which means it is better digested.

Yoghurt can be introduced at 6 months. You can get plain yoghurt and add pureed fruits (ratio is 1:1) or buy yoghurt meant for babies.

Littlefire, For young children under 2, it is not advisable to add marmite. One reason is the sodium content, another is you will develop a fussy eater who wants salty and flavoured food.
Wholesome ingredients such as chicken, pork, beef can be used to make naturally flavoured soups which are better than using any other sort of flavouring.

Sunny, small amounts in mashed potato is alright. No butter on bread type of quantity is fine.

Teether biscuits (rusks?) can be given once your child has learnt the chewing action, but please monitor whenever you give.

Cakey, fishy smell/taste should not be there if you are using quality fish. What you can do is to cook the porridge with ginger slices, remove the ginger before blending the porridge and fish. There is no need for marmite or soy sauce.

Pochacco, At 5 months, you can start establishing a habit of eating solids at meal time. Normal meal time like breakfast, lunch and dinner, you can give small quantities of pureed food.

Porridge is not advisable as it is just calories, no vitamins. A growing child needs more than porridge to grow up well.

If you are feeding porridge, you cook the porridge until pulp and blend it. Sokme parents like to mix it with carrots, peas, etc. It is entirely up to you.

However, bear in mind to introduce new foods slowly.

Stock can be frozen and taken out to cook small quantities of porridge when needed. It is a good natural flavouring and freezing stock saves alot of time as you do not need to boil stock everyday.

Meixue, depending on your schedule, I normally use the slow cooker to cook porridge and meat with vegetables. Yes, porridge can be frozen the same way as pureed foods
happy.gif

mrs wong
so, anytime of the day can give the teether biscuit? will it affect the amount of milk intake? what's rusks? I bought the HT one leh....

Sunny, it will definitely affect the milk intake as it is quite filling.

I normally give a small piece (break off from the big piece and store in tupperware) as afternoon snack, just after feeding milk.

mrs wong
oh thanks! then, i should go buy the air tight container liao...
so, meaning the feeding schedule for the start should be:
morning: EBM
noon: 1 or 2 teaspoon of cereal --> EBM --> teether biscuit (if bb still show hunger)
then, the rest of the day, just give EBM when bb is hungry?

Sunny, my schedule for my niece is:

Morning: FM with cereal/pureed veges
Noon: FM with biscuit
Dinner: FM with cereal/pureed veges

FM on demand for the rest of the day

I am very strict that the children eat with us at the dining table, my nephews eat with us, so my niece has started showing interest in our food during dinner time, thus we gave her some pureed foods to enjoy during dinner
happy.gif

mrs wong
how old is your niece?
i will only give solid to my gal when she's 6 mth old... will that be too full and not easy to digest if give 3 times solid during the starting point?

ya, i also want my gal to eat with us at the dining table so that she will get use to it. will tell my mil about this also. hope she follows. so, meaning got to buy high chair for her? ikea one is good?

Sunny, my niece is 7 months now. At the start, we only gave her pureed food in the morning, when she started to show interest in our food, we gave her pureed food during dinner also.

We did not buy the high chair, it was given to us by a friend. They bought it from baby hypermart
happy.gif

hi,
my gal turning 6mths in another 1mth time.
any one can advise me whether can introduce meat/fish for 6mth old bb or must wait till 8mth?

and for those mum who made vege puree... how to make beans/peas puree? what type of beans/peas to buy? is it sweet pea or snow pea (fat type) and flat type pea. can use long bean/french bean? its puree the whole thing, or peel out the seed to puree only?

sorry for my ignorance cos i m 1st time mummy...hee...need plenty of advise here.

thanks mrs wong.
i heard that we should introduce vege 1st then fruits. is that true?
so, the food to introduce should be like:
rice cereal ---> pumpkin, carrot, potato, any green leaf vege, brocolli ---> sweet potato, fruits (banana, apple)?

hi jhmum,
i use frozen sweet green peas in convenient packs fr supermarkets. abt $3 for quite a big pack. can also buy those with peas, carrots and corn.

Morning!
Can we let bb of 6.5mth eat kiwi? Do we puree it the same way as apple?

Re: Veg Puree
Would like to know how to make veg puree too. Advise please. Thanks.
happy.gif

Sunny, veges are introduced first so that baby will not develop sweet tooth and like fruits over vege
happy.gif

I prefer giving green veges first. Roots are rather sweet too.

Jhmum, whether or not you can introduce meat/fish depends on your child. How have you been feeding your child? Some children start on pureed food at 4-5 months, by 6 months they can definitely handle meat. But some only start pureed food at 6-7 months, then they will only be ready for meat/fish at 8 months.

For beans/peas. Try go give a different variety each time. They have different tastes. Try to buy fresh beans/peas if possible. If not, get frozen beans only. I do not encourage you to buy mixed peas, carrots and corn for young children as it is processed food.

TO puree peas, boil it in water until the skin is soft and comes of. Remove the skin and blend the peas only. After blending, strain the puree to remove any large chunks.

Ling, if your child can handle the texture, there is no reason why you can't feed it.

Vegetable puree will be the same as peas. Boil/steam the vege. Place in blender and strain.

Mrs Wong
regards to the puree of peas, how do u strain it? use sieve? must the peas be boil in water, can steam?

YL, steamed peas you will take alot of time to remove the skin. When you boil in water, the skin will float to the top on its own.

I think I did explain straining in this thread. You use a metal sieve and strain the food by pushing the food through the sieve with a spoon.

Mrs Wong,
Pls recommend me what type of fresh peas/beans to buy that is suitable for puree? I only know sweet peas and frozen green peas, and the rest I dont know what to get.
so, its not blend the whole sweet peas but just the seeds alone. I thought its blend the whole thing. heehee...

thanks

Jhmum, usually we go to Liberty at Paragon to buy food for the kids. There are more variety there.

Organic food stalls are also good cos they have a larger range of veges.

I usually get whatever I see, I don't specifically look for a certain ingredient
happy.gif

Any type of beans/peas will do. Just go and take a look, there are many different types.

Mrs Wong, long bean, french bean ok for bb?
thanks for your advice...i will also go Jurong Point Liberty to take a look.

re:baby yoghurt- petit miam
can mummies advise where I can get it? Someone said northpt coldstorage but its out of stock

Jhmum, I give small quantities of french and long beans. Might cause some gas, so expect some farting from your kid
happy.gif

Jkids, I bought mine last night at Cold Storage Novena Square.

Jkids, you mean Novena's food junction? Not so soon.

Novena is aiming to be a sports mall so they are in the midst of chasing out their current tenants so that new tenants can come into the mall.

So i tink it will be still some time b4 it happens...

anyway, the hk dim sum and peking duck is v good at L3
happy.gif

first mum,

Zucchini is good
happy.gif
Not many bbs are exposed to zucchini or more western vegetables.

I normally give yoghurt as afternoon snack :

Hi Mrs Wong/First Mum,
What is Zucchini? Hmm...can translate to chinese for me? Or describe to me what is this vege. Thanks.

Btw, is it ok to add vege and fruits and meat to rice cereal which I also added formula milk? Because I dont plan to cook porridge but rather just use rice cereal till maybe bb 8mths old. Is it ok like that?

Jhmum, zucchini is something like cucumber, without the seeds
happy.gif

you can definitely add pureed foods into cereals
happy.gif

Mybabydream, Liver is too rich for young children. Do not introduce any offals until they are 3 yrs old.

I give normal plain yoghurt mixed with milk and pureed fruits. Any brand is fine

Jkids, it is below the petit miam (kids). Same shelf.

Mrs Wong
Where can i find e zicchini ? i had try cold storage and NTUC , also don't have le, any picture to show me? izzit they put zicchini name there also????

hi mummies,

am new here. my bb is 5-mth old and considering to start solid.

this thread is a wealth of information! as i'm a new mum, i can learn a lot from reading the posts!

for solid info, i've read the sections on 'what to expect - the first year', and thinking of buying gena ford's 'contented little baby book of weaning'. has anybody read the book? is it useful?

Hi, mummies. For one cube of puree, what type of tray you all use? or in liquid measurement?

Cause so many different size in the markets, can any mummies advise on this?

Thanks!!

Hi Mummies

As for ikan billis powder and silver fish powder, what type/brand of chopper is good. I am thinking of making my own. Any recommendations?

Hi Mummies,

I'm starting my dd on semi solids soon. I'm just wondering whether the cutlery and bowls used needs to be presterilized before using or a standard washing will do?

Dino...I sterlised EVEYRTHING that my girl used, including teether and stringe to adminster fever medicine and kept in zipper bags.

i dont sterilise the bowls n spoons cos i heard the one i bought nt suitable for sterilising. n also when bb reach 6mths, nt necessary to sterilise. i was told tat a too clean environment will nt help to build their immunity.but i still sterilise my breastpump n bottles. to make use of my steriliser

hi,
I only sterilise the first time before using it since bb already >6mth. After that only standard washing. So far bb is OK. For milk bottle I only sterilise twice a week (bb 10mth).

i thought we need to sterlise up to 1-2year old??

Is there any guidelines for bowls? I thought of using Avent VIA pre-sterilised Cups, sterlise after every use.

it also depends on individual. some feel safer to steriliser till bb is bigger. the earliest tt can stop sterilise is 6mths

Back