Advice - Piano Models to Purchase

Hi, this is my first post here after spending weeks reading through most of the postings, albeit mostly on Yamaha pianos.

I will be purchasing a U1J within days so I am hoping to get a strawpoll on whether U1J quality is as bad as most people had claimed.

Would appreciate it if current U1J owners or ex-owners could critically comment on it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi amelia, I'm a music teacher and so far the U1Js I have encountered have been bad. My friend who works in Yamaha also discourages buying U1J. BUT since you're already getting one in a few days, I'd probably suggest getting a good tuner to fine tune and do some adjustments IF you're not too happy with it. Let the piano settle in first before you make any judgements. Who knows, maybe you're the lucky one who won't have much to complain about the piano?!

Thanks for your comments jcefoo. Could you elaborate a little more on what you meant by "bad"? If a good tuner could resolve the issues associated with U1J, then the crux of the problem lies with Yamaha in-house tuners isn't it? However, if there are other "hardware" issues like the cabinet, hammer, strings, soundboard, felt, etc etc please critically comment further. Thank you.

amelia

a brand new U1J will cost S$5k plus, and a brand new U1 will cost S$8,300 (i bought in april with S$250 NTUC voucher), so it is not a lot of difference if you can afford it. My piano teacher bought brand new U1J many years ago and she regretted. Now she do not play U1J at all and wants to sell. She told me never buy U1J, if you have budget then buy a used U1 or used Kawai piano. I myself played U1J and U1 in Yamaha shop, the sound is world of difference.

Hope this information helps.

amelia

a brand new U1J will cost S$5k plus, and a brand new U1 will cost S$8,300 (i bought in april with S$250 NTUC voucher), so it is not a lot of difference if you can afford it. My piano teacher bought brand new U1J many years ago and she regretted. Now she do not play U1J at all and wants to sell. She told me never buy U1J, if you have budget then buy a used U1 or used Kawai piano. I myself played U1J and U1 in Yamaha shop, the sound is world of difference.

Hope this information helps.

Hi Amelia

"Bad" as in the touch is not great, sound is rather piercing and doesn't quite have the warmth of the U1 and U3. Reason for that is partially due to the quality of soundboard that is slightly more inferior (and therefore Yamaha is able to sell U1J at a more affordable price to the public).

Yamaha in-house tuners only TUNE pianos. Some other more experienced tuners are able to, what we'd call recondition the piano. However having said that, you won't want to do that to a new piano. Anyway, most problems don't really kick in until a few years down the road. So if you're happy to go ahead with U1J now, then perhaps some years down the road you can get someone to do a reconditioning on it. Though there is only so much you can do with the pre-existing soundboard and height of the piano.

Thanks Fennie and Jcfoo, really appreciate your thoughtful comments. Seems like there really is no one with good comment on U1J. Since I still have some time left, I guess I'll lookaround a little more, perhaps even looking at some second hand U1 instead.

my student wan sell away her piano yamaha c108 made in japan.she used for 10 years oledi.anyone interested,pls call me @90252089.thx

Hi,

We have a J Thomson brand Piano about 8 years old for resale at a very low price. Piano is in very good condition and suitable for learners of any age. Available for preview and assesment. Call:67783415

Hi, all...

There is a new 2nd piano shop (Pristine) opened at B.Batok Tradehub 21.... they sell, repair and refurnish all brands.... check it out for more option... reach them at email : [email protected]

Wish all can get or sell piano happily.

Loves

Hi,
Anyone know where I can get good violin or reasonable priced violin? any recommended shops or brand for purchasing a violin?

Thanks!

Hi jcefoo,
Thanks. Is P L Shopping complex near P L Mrt? is it at SingPost?

BTW, do you have any recommended teacher who travels to student's house?

Relatively near to the mrt, need to cross the road over to something that's called Lion City Complex? Oh, come to think of it, maybe Synwin's not in PL shopping complex, it may be called Joo Chiat shopping complex. It's at the complex that houses Shop and Save and many Malay boutiques. There's a hotel next to it, think it's called Lion City Hotel. Think you should google Synwin and get the exact add. :p

Teacher - the ones I know don't travel I'm afraid.

Know of someone who stays in AMK, is that any good? I must warn you first, she's highly sort after so dunno whether she still has any slots available.

hi
Need advise here. I am planning to send my gal (5 yr old) for piano lessons. Shd I get a piano for her immediately or wait till she intention to continue? I also worry that her fingers are not strong enough to press the keys. I remember that I only start when I was P1 last time (donkey years ago hehehe)

Yamaha hv special promo for M112T, any reviews on this?

Muffin, as much as I'd like to see my students having a piano at home to practice, I'd say hold on and don't buy yet. Wait for a while, see how your girl progresses in terms of interest. In terms of fingers, will be strong enough. My daughter started before 5.

As for M112, definitely a no-no. Sound is not rounded, quality on the whole quite bad. For that amount, I'd get a good 2ndhand.

Hi Mummies,

Anyone interested to participate in a 2hrs group discussion on 7th or 8th Jun? We are paying $80 to $100 cash incentive. Purely research study.

Mothers with 4 to 6 years old:
7th Jun @ 3:45pm - Formula milk drinkers
7th Jun @ 6:45pm - Non-Formula milk drinkers (like fresh milk &/or milo drink) - used to drink in the past

Mothers with 7 to 10 years old:
8th June @ 9:45am - Formula milk drinkers
8th June @ 12:15pm & 2:45pm - Non-Formula milk drinkers (like fresh milk &/or milo drink) - used to drink in the past

Must not have participated in any surveys in the last 12 months.

Interested, please do not PM. Kindly sms me at 91892420 with your details ASAP!

Have a good weekend!

Hi Disneybaby, 5k for a 25 yr old UX1, sounds on the ex side. However if the piano is in very good condition...may be able to demand that kind of pricing... How long it can last really depends on the condition. A good piano can carry on for at least another 10 yrs, if not more.

hi disney baby,

my gal is learning piano, Grade 5 now. I bought an exam graded used piano years ago and thought of upgrading the same as my gal did very well in her exam with piano teacher's great effort but my piano teacher stops me as he thinks it is not necessary until she completed her grade 8. I would advise you to get a piano tuner to check the condition of the piano before buying. Piano's age and used price doesn't determine the condition of the piano as we are not familiar with the inner structure. If u don't mind to spend money to get the professional to test the piano before buying, you could pm me. I bought mine with a friend who helps me to exam the piano set and spend less than 5k to get a good one even my piano teacher said so. It is worth spending some money to get a worth good set instead of getting a white elephant at howe. Just my penny worth advice. Good luck.

Need help - am very confused about buying piano and have done heaps of research which is probably confusing me even more.

happy.gif

Need advise - which is most appropriate for my 5 year old son who is studying at Yamaha. 1 year already the music appreciation course which does not include playing piano. This year we need to buy a piano for him to start practicing. Not sure how long his interest will sustain:

Should i buy?
1) a brand new digital piano - about 1000 - 1200 - yamaha or casio brand OR
2) A entry level pearl river brand new about 2600 - exam grade
3) a second hand yamaha - problem is we will have no idea whether its a good piano or not when we view the piano. Can we bring a tuner to go try out the piano with us? How much do we have to pay him/her?

Thanks, need to buy this weekend as the Pearl River is on promotion - if not price goes up to 2900 after this sunday so any help is greatly appreciated

Mel, if you intend for your son to learn piano (classical piano) then don't buy a digital piano, really is not the same as an acoustic piano. Sometimes taking this "wrong step" can lead to many bad habits and future problems. As for Pearl River, their standard has dropped considerably, having said that, if you are planning to just try your son out, then you could start off with this but bear in mind, at some point you will have to change. This will probably take place in perhaps 4 or 5 years down the road. Bringing a tuner or a piano teacher to try out 2ndhand pianos is an option provided the person you are bringing knows how to choose and can tell what constitutes to a "good buy". How much you'd be paying will really depend on how much the person charges, there's no market rate for this

Hi J Foo,

Thanks for your prompt reply - really appreciate it. I've decided not to buy the Pearl River and am now deciding between a JU109 by Yamaha - this is not a full height exam piano and it's made in Indonesia and cost about 3k plus brand new. I was thinking if I'm going to get the Pearl River might as well add a bit more to buy this

OR buy a second hand U1 or something like that.

What's your opinion on the JU109 and the U1J that's made in Jakarta? Also is it advisable to buy a JU109 considering it's not full height and made in Jakarta? Thanks a million - you're a great help

For second hand i'll prob go to Shelley's or Asia Piano - any recommendations for good resellers?
happy.gif

Welcome.

JU109 is not a good model. The ones I have come across are poorly made. U1J is a tad better but again, not worth the amount of money paid I think.

Asia Piano is reputable. You can also try Piano Gallery at IMM.

Brand new, you can consider Hailun, which is about the same price as Pearl River but quality better, though again, not fantastic. For the price, I think quite acceptable.

Hi J Foo,

I ended buying a 28 year old U1A Yamaha from Asia Piano for $4200. The sound is quite nice - not too warm and not too bright - my hubby likes it warm but i think if it's too warm it may be hard for my young son to distinguish between the notes at his young age. Thanks so much for your assistance. Now all i can do is pray that he likes learning the piano. LOL

I really wanted to pay 600 more to get the U3 but my hubby thought we should not get it as he really doesn't know how interested my son would be.

Well, if my no 1 son decides not to play piano - we'll just have to leave it for my no 2 son who's only 11 months now.. Akakakakak..

Any private piano teacher in the bishan area that you know is good? But not too strict type cos my son is a bit of a scaredy cat. Thanks in advance.

Agree with your hubby. At this point of time getting a U3 may not be the way to go unless you are the type who holds the principle "once you start cannot stop". Anyway a good U1 can take you quite far up the ladder.

As for teachers, I myself am one (not in Bishan but near, haha!). Teachers I know of don't do home visits... PM me if you want to find out more.

Hi J Foo,

Good to hear you're near Bishan.
happy.gif
Will keep you in mind when i decide that my son needs one-on-one training. He's currently second year at yamaha and just starting out playing do re mi. Will PM you when i want to find out more.

Once again thanks so much for your advice and prompt response in guiding us to buy the right piano for my little son.

happy.gif

Cheers, Melanie

Yamaha U1 PE(N)
1st Owner
Purchased new in Oct 2011 in Yamaha Plaza Singapura
Made in Japan
Exam Model most commonly found in local music schools and ABRSM exam venues
Height 121cm
In excellent condition
Regularly tuned with internal heater on 24/7 since 1st day
Black in color
*Come along with bench seat

PM or email [email protected] to arrange for viewing

Hi onsansg,
You can consider buying from asia piano. We just bought one 20+ years yamaha U3 at 4.9K from them. The owner, Leonard is very knowledgable and patient in explaining how to choose a good piano, not pushy at all. The piano comes with 5 yrs warranty, 2x free tuning and freebies such as brand new adjustable bench, heater and external slow fall.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking to buy an used Yamaha U1 PE or Kawai K3 or K5 for my girl. Please email or whatsapp me the condition and price, if anyone are keen to sell.

Thanks.

Regards,

tebteb999 at yahoo dot com

Tel: nine eight zero zero 9163.

Anyone can advise me on Yamaha YUS piano? I went with my son to a 2nd hand piano shop and
Was recommended with a 33 years YUS piano. My son is 8 years old currently is in G1. He tried a few U1 and U3 as well as this YUS model and he told me he prefer the YUS piano.

Hello! im looking for a piano teacher! Could u kindly share the contact details of this Pianojazzy teacher please? My email is [email protected]
thanks a lot!!

Hi Wan Wan

Yes pianojazzy is my son's teacher. Very happy with the way she teaches him. She's very patient and a nice lady
happy.gif

I actually sat in with him during all his lessons cos I myself dun really play piano tho I've learned it for a short while. I wanna be there so that I know what songs she teaches him and what are some of the things that I shld take note when playing the pieces, eg. finger movement, how to read the scores etc. And then when I am home and practice with him, I can "rectify" his mistakes if he plays wrongly.

So far, it works well. Actually everyday I wld sit down with him for practice for like 15-30 mins. When he first started learning, he cld only sit for 15 mins or so but slowly he can sit longer and longer and now he wld have abt 7-8 new pieces every week for practice which wld take abt 20-30 mins to practice depending on the difficulties.

I think parent support is very important. Not only the kid has to spend time practising, we as parents also have to be there, sit in with them, so that they knows that they are not dumped there to do something that they dun really wanna do.

Actually I think every night when he's practising, it's like a mini concert time. My hubby and my girl wld also be in the same room, sing and dance there. And apparently he enjoys the fact that he can play some songs that the baby sister enjoys and dances to.
happy.gif

Oh yes I have heard about Singapore Piano Hub before. In fact I got my piano from them - a brand new Wilhelm Tel 124 Geneva. It's made in China but the quality and parts are from Europe so I think it's pretty reliable? Also, it's much cheaper than a brand new Yamaha so I decided to get it for my girl. Their service is good, I got to select from a list of various options and I can see where the pianos are made etc. I would recommend trying out if you want to buy a piano. You may look for Jaden, he was very helpful and knowledgeable about the pianos. http://www.singaporepianohub.com/buy-a-piano

Oh yes I have heard about Singapore Piano Hub before. In fact I got my piano from them - a brand new Wilhelm Tel 124 Geneva. It's made in China but the quality and parts are from Europe so I think it's pretty reliable? Also, it's much cheaper than a brand new Yamaha so I decided to get it for my girl. Their service is good, I got to select from a list of various options and I can see where the pianos are made etc. I would recommend trying out if you want to buy a piano. You may look for Jaden, he was very helpful and knowledgeable about the pianos. http://www.singaporepianohub.com/buy-a-piano

Hey Yanling, just wanna know if you have heard about their piano marketplace? Apparently you get to buy a used piano direct from the owner as written. In fact my friend told me it's legit (she actually got her piano sold there recently for an upgrade) and the price is much better for both buyers and sellers. But if possible I just hope to get a 2nd opinion. Thanks!

Here's the link to Singapore Piano Hub's piano marketplace:
http://www.singaporepianohub.com/piano-marketplace

To be honest, I haven't tried their piano marketplace. I've only found a teacher through them because I already had a piano. But Singapore Piano Hub is definitely a legit company with good service and I can be sure of that. The person whom I talked to was Ryan and can feel that he was genuine. If I were you, I'll just go ahead and use their services. Hope this helps!

To be honest, I haven't tried their piano marketplace. I've only found a teacher through them because I already had a piano. But Singapore Piano Hub is definitely a legit company with good service and I can be sure of that. The person whom I talked to was Ryan and can feel that he was genuine. If I were you, I'll just go ahead and use their services. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reassurance. I've purchased my piano from their marketplace and their service is indeed good like you mentioned. He explained to me how to choose and even recommended a piano tuner and mover.

Hi,

I am looking for a piano for my girls. What will be a good model to get from Yamaha or Kawai?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am looking for a piano for my girls. What will be a good model to get from Yamaha or Kawai?

Thanks in advance.

Both to me are good brands. I bought a Yamaha U1. Go email or text the people I contacted at Singapore Piano Hub. They can help you. If I rmb correctly, even when you buy new piano from original stores like Yamaha they can get it cheaper for you. Just go ask ;)

You have many options for buying piano but you should focus on some points like cost, usage, space and as required your need. I have grand piano and it is best to me as my need and specifications. Other factors also importants like your room temperature and moisture are suitable where you kept your piano.

Back