Advice on toddler nap/sleep times

lcip

Dear mommies

Would like to know how long your kids sleep during the night and in the day (naps), how many naps, how long.

My 22 mths old daughter now sleeps about 12 hours in total, about 10 hours at night and then 2 hours during the day. She used to have 2 naps in the day but recntly, changed to 1 nap (2hrs) around late morning.

Not too sure if that's enough rest for her? I can tell my daughter is tired during dinner time. Care to share the sleeping patterns of your child?

Or, do you wait till the child is tired and then let him/her sleep, without enforcing a particular time?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Icip,
My kids used to have 2 naps before they turn 2, but eventually reduced to 1 nap.
My younger girl is now 3, she naps for abt 2hrs daily and sleeps again from 10pm till 745am to get ready for school. She is used to this routine, so no complain of tiredness.

I believe it is good to have sleeping pattern for young children, it makes things easier for both child and care giver. We can then set routines for other activities too.

Hi Icip,
My kids used to have 2 naps before they turn 2, but eventually reduced to 1 nap.
My younger girl is now 3, she naps for abt 2hrs daily and sleeps again from 10pm till 745am to get ready for school. She is used to this routine, so no complain of tiredness.

I believe it is good to have sleeping pattern for young children, it makes things easier for both child and care giver. We can then set routines for other activities too.

Hi,

My daughter is 25 months, she started taking 1 nap when she was about 19 months, she will take a 2 hours nap from 12-2.15, then she will sleep at 8pm to 630am. I established her sleep pattern since she was really young, but when i reduce from 2 naps to 1, she was a little cranky!

So i enforce time, cos if i wait for her to be sleepy, she will be overtired already.

Icip, my 21m daughter sleeps about 11hours at night 715pm-615am and has 1daytime nap of 1.5hrs 1-230pm.. a total of 12.5hours.. i also set timings for naps.. think it works better for my child when she has a routine to follow
happy.gif
agree that if wait for her to get sleepy, it's more difficult cos she gets cranky and crabby..

hi all mommies, my son is 22 months old and refuse to sleep at night although he is tired. we are very lost as we do not know what to do with him especially we are damn tired! we tried all ways to settle him but REALLY useless.. HELP!!!

cchris

try not to talk to him or look at him. it works for my boy. once no one wants to entertain him.. he will auto turn off engine! hahahaha

thanks fun. it does not work on him, thats why real headache!!!! he will start to cry very loud until we attention to him. we tried to ignore him for 20 mins but he was still crying..... he does not want to get in the sarong or go to the bed.

he does not take long nap too.. we really don't understand why..

CChris

Some kids just wana test yr patience! Let him cry lor.. cannot give in de. once u give in, everything u just did will fail!

thanks fun. it does not work on him, thats why real headache!!!! he will start to cry very loud until we attention to him. we tried to ignore him for 20 mins but he was still crying..... he does not want to get in the sarong or go to the bed.

he does not take long nap too.. we really don't understand why..

Hi

When getting your son to sleep, try not to have other activity taking place eg. TV switched on, other people in the house still up and about etc. Switch off the lights in the house to show that everybody has gone to sleep, bring him around the darkened house to see for himself, and hopefully he will realise that no one is up to 'entertain' him or play with him. Show him his toys and use them to 'say' Goodnight to him.

Feed him some milk, cos' milk may make him feel 'comfortable' and sleepy.

Hope this helps.

cchris
my gal oso have the same problem, but she had been like this since she was a baby. And I kind of have to force her to sleep.
1 of my methods was the cane, and I really cane her if she don't sleep. It works most of the time... Pervert mummy.. lol... If on gd days, she'll just sleep thru by herself.
If nt, like wat Icip said, its worth trying it out, it might work for you..

GOOD LUCK!

Hi

Seeking advice and opinions again...

Would like to know if your kids sleep at around the same hours every day of the week? I'm asking this question because my daughter's playgroup will be changing their timing next year and it will eat into her nap time (now her nap is from 11am to 1pm). I'm looking into adjusting her naps till later but for the weekdays only when her playgroup is on; and for the weekends, let her sleep as usual from 11am (due to existing activiy on Saturday). Do you think this different nap times is alright for the child, will the child resist different nap times during the week?
I read that kids love routines, so i guess this may not work? Anybody has similar experience to share?

Thanks!

Hmmm.... my daughter 2.5yr is attending child care. She follows the school nap time from 1-3pm but during the weekend her nap time becomes 3-5pm probably we used to bring her out in the morning till noon that's become her routine nap for the weekend. So far I find it is okay for her.

Hi,

Actually i feel very dilemma also coz i'm going to put her to the kindergarten which the time from 245pm-545pm whereby eat in her naptime also..was thinking change her naptime from 12pm-2pm if possible..please advise. thanks

Hi Pearl Tan,
Yes, you can change her nap time to 12pm-2pm or earlier than that so she can be prepared before going to kindergarten class. For my children, I let them take a nap at 11am-1pm.

Back