Advice on Music/Piano class for 4 year old please!

Thanks, pianojazzy. I also have a boy who is taking Gr 3 practical exam this July and his teacher couldn't teach him anymore after the exam. Should I get him another teacher from the same school or find a private one instead so that she could also teach my girl? I really have no idea on how to choose a good piano teacher for her as I have no music background. Any recommendations from you? Thanks.

u r welcome. How come the teacher can't teach him anymore? Which sch is he in?
The advantages of learning from sch is that parents and students will be more serious,better concentration and won't disrupt daily activities like tv or pc. (ie watch tv halfway and the teacher comes for lesson, that way, the child might still be think about the tv shows etc while having lessons)

But the disadvantages are frequent change of teachers, inflexible timing, lessons missed are payable but not replaceable etc.

Looking for private teachers, do ask for recommendations from friends, get a teacher with teaching diploma(this is different with performing diploma as one can play very well doesn't mean can teach) and with at least 5 - 8 yrs of teaching experience etc

Do check out my blog at www.pianolessons.multiply.com as i have some articles regards to this.

Hope this helps
happy.gif

Hi pianojazzy,

He joins Cristofori MLM since 4 yrs old and this teacher has been teaching him till now. She just said that she won't be teaching on the day which my son attends anymore.

I only can shortlist nearby music schools like Fisherman, Galleria, Lynn Tan Piano Studio or Yamaha.

Hi pianojazzy,

Still remember me? You have been giving me good advice on music class for my girl.

She had already attended 2 term of music group lesson which involves lots of activities lesson to learn music. She is 5 this april and started her on individual piano class 2months ago.Her weekly lesson involves practical and theory lesson. My girl was taught to read the note by reading CDEFG method and now she can play few pieces with both hands. I think she is progressing fine but abit lazy and i need to remind her to practice her piano daily. Though expect her to play 30 mins but she only can sit still for 15-20mins. Is that ok with her? Do you think she is progressing fine?

Thanks,
Micsarah

Yup i remember
happy.gif

That's fine. Not many children can be discipline to practise so mummy will have to nag hehe. Its common. Practise daily for 15-20 mins is fine if she can play the pieces fluently after that.

Do talk to her teacher if she is progessing well and her teacher might have some suggestions as well.

Cheers

Hi Pianojazzy,

Thanks for the advice given once again. It's really kind of you to share with so many mommies like us on learning music. It's really tough work but in the midst of learning, a child will get to learn not to give up easily and also to build up their patience and parental support and involvement is really important. With parent support, it will make the child feel less frustrating with learning at times and hence more willing to learn. I will sit in my girl's lesson every week and the teacher will record down things which she had taught in a notebook for us to bring home and recap. Hehe i am also learning at the same time as her and i also practice at home at times!

Thank you once again.

You are most welcome. It is good to record so that when the parents do not sit in, they know what is happening every lesson. That's what i normally do as well. I have students' parents who practises as well. I am glad about that too! Parental support is very very important. Which is what i always emphasise to parents. Life will be easy if all parents can understand this :D

Once again, i agree that it is not learning piano only. Through learning piano, one will learn a lot more than learning how to play only. I have students with learning disablilties. It helps as well. One might not continue all the way till grade 8 but through learning piano, they will learn much more
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

Anybody heard before "REJOICE MUSIC SCHOOL" at Toa Payoh North (near SPH)? They are using Suzuki Method. Parent can accompany with kids. But just a 30min a week. Any commends? Thanks.

Hi all, I'm looking for keyboard now as my gal has just started her music lesson with Yamaha? Is it ok if I just get 61keys?

Hi Pianojazzy,

Any good teacher to recommend in town, south or west area?

My son is 38 months. You think it's too young to start him? Many has been telling me that it's too young to start for boys. My son is interested in piano, but not really in keyboard. Same for me, I like playing on piano, but not keyboard.

Hi Giggler, 61 keys is fine for now.

Hi Purin,
38 mths is a bit young for boys but you can always try music appreciation first for another 3 months and you can start him 1-1 by then. But if he can read alphabets and numbers, you can actually start him now
happy.gif

Hi hi ladies

Surprised to find this thread! May i ask, abit off track, how about adults? When is the latest age someone should stop thinking about learning piano? My hb is interested in learning the piano and he is 32. Pianojazzy, do you teach adults?

As for me, i am looking for a good school or teacher for cello lessons. I have started learning and playing the cello a few years ago at Tanglewood Music School. My teacher Ivy Chang is no longer there plus its too far from my home, so ...

TIA for any recommendations or sharing!
happy.gif

Hey Purin *wave*, bumped into you here, hee!
happy.gif

It is never late to learn piano. I even have students about 70+ but of cos very difficult to teach :D

I have a student at 25, just started few months back. He plays Canon after learning for 2 months and he is playing Richard Clayerman now
happy.gif

It is just the time and committment one is willing to put in.

Pianojazzy,

My son has no problem recognising Alphabets and numbers. He has been attending music appreciation for half a year.

Can recommend someone that is more convenient cos I live in the west? Or can I send him to you for trial to assess if he should start?

Hi MB,
Hehe. . *wave wave*. . .

Yup can come for the free trial and let me assess first. No prob
happy.gif

I will keep a lookout of u for teachers in the west as all my friends stay in the east.

pianojazzy, thanks
happy.gif
I not into music so not sure abt the basics. Now I understand what you mean by the different btw learning in gp and individual liao. The teacher in gp learning will just carry on the class and cant really focus on every kid. Guess if I really want my gal to learn, I'll have to let her attend individual lessons.

Hi Giggler,

I am glad that you understand. This is what i have been trying to say here haha.

I am also teaching in groups but i make an effort to teach everyone individually so actually in the group lessons, all the students are in different pace. However in 1hr and with so many students, one student can only have about 10 min of my time every week. So they can't really learn a lot too.

I always play piano to my 8 month daughter,after i played,I will hug her in front of piano,let her touch the keys.now let her touch,around 1 plus,I will force her to play some somple song.hehe..

Hi,

I intend to sign my daughter up for Sunshine I (music course) at MCYSingapore, Jurong East branch on Saturday at 2.45pm.

They have 3 classes is available :
Monday (7.45pm-8.45pm)
Saturday (10am – 11am) or
Saturday (2.45pm – 3.45pm)

They will start the class if I could form a group of at least 3 children( Max 5 children). Please email me if you are interested. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Check out their website to know more :
http://www.mycsingapore.com.sg/
http://www.myc.com
Tel: 6100 6316 (Ms Sannly)

Thanks

Hi
Posting on behalf of my friend.
She is intend to sign her son up for Sunbeams I (for 5 yrs old) at MCYSingapore, Jurong East branch on weekday (Wednesday or Thursday) around 7pm.
They will start the class once she could form a group of at least 3 children( Max 5 children).
If you are interested, please call them for more details.
Tel: 6100 6316
Check out their website to know more :
http://www.mycsingapore.com.sg/
http://www.myc.com

Cheers

Come next year my son is taking his grade 2 and 3. Teacher says he can manage pretty well. The teacher Ms Vivian in Kawaii Parkway is pretty good, my 2 kids are under her.

Hi Japancraze,
Hasn't seen you for a long time. Hope every thing is well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi,

I am also looking for a piano teacher, but at Bukit Timah area. Must be patient with a 4-5 yr old boy. I don't have a piano at home, so will need to go to the teacher's place/centre.

Hope someone can recommend.

Hi! Need to ask some questions here. Hope that some mummies here are able to help me. Thanks!

1) When is the best time to start a boy on his music lessons? Currently my boy is almost 2 yo.
2) Do they need to go for music appreciation class first before starting to learn how to play the piano?

My son attended Kawaii at Parkway on Sunday, teacher to go to is Vivian, very good.

My youngest son 6yrs old is doing his Grade 1 nxt year, and my eldest son is doing his Grade 2 and 3 nxt year too.

Hi,

Need help for my boy of 4+.

My family have no music background, kid shown interest in music but am not sure what kind of instrument. However, I am keen to send him to learn piano. I am staying at Jurong area. Anyone of same situation can advise how and where should I start from here?

Thanks in advance
happy.gif

hi 2 hot,
1stly,u need to buy a piano or a keyboard,so ur child can practise.bcos practising is very important.afterthat I suggest looking for a private piano teacher,cos since that u hav no music background,normally private teacher might b hav more patient and times to explain ur child progress and the planning for your child/

if u wan to get cheaper fees,of cos u may find a music school which nearby ur house.they will recommend u a teacher.

of cos everything u need ur teacher to guide u.

Just sharing some thoughts on music - I think your kid needs to want to learn it, and it'll be easier for both the parent and the child. Otherwise, it's like 'forcing' them to learn it. No one in my family plays any musical instruments except for my brother, and it happened by chance.

My brother was about 7 when he saw an orchestra playing on the TV. He told my mum he wanted to play the instrument (that was a violin). She brought him to a private violin tutor and he's been taking lessons since then and he's now a violin music teacher.

He teaches both children and adults and tells me how some kids (3-4 yr old) cannot sit down for classes and always run around. But kids will be kids, and until they can learn to sit down, it's very difficult to teach them properly.

anyone knows of any good piano teacher who will come to my place in sengkang? thanks

Hi,

I'm looking for gd female piano teacher in
West for my girl, and maybe my 'frens' daughter
too ;)

Pls contact me, thks

Thinking of starting my kid on the piano (she's been asking for it)...anyone has a piano to let go at a good price? Please PM me. Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

Anyone can recommend a good female piano teacher staying in punggol or can come to punggol(where i stayed) to teach my girl (Gr 6) with reasonable price.

Thank.

Dear ALL,

I'm a piano teacher, currently have students staying in Bishan, CCK, Woodlands, Yishun, Yio Chu Kang, Toa Payoh, Sengkang & Cairnhill.

If you're looking for piano teacher, please PM me. I'm not leaving my contact no. here because i have been receiving a couple of nuisance calls. Appreciate ur understanding. Thanks

Ms Tan

Dear All, I am thinking of finding a piano course for my son too. I live at Toa Payoh. Any recommendation of place?

Dear ALL,

I'm a piano teacher, currently conducting lessons at students' place in Jurong, Bishan, Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands, Yishun, Yio Chu Kang, Ang Mo Kio, Toa Payoh, Sengkang & Cairnhill.

If you're looking for piano teacher, please PM me. I'm not leaving my contact no. here because i have been receiving a couple of nuisance calls. Appreciate ur understanding. Thank you.

Ms Tan

Any mummies with kids 4-7 years old interested to go for a trial music class at Serangoon gardens, burgley drive?? It's a new building called Lifestyle Hub if i'm not wrong.

Sending my twins there so thought maybe can meet some forum mummies there to chit chat while my twins having trial.

Please pm me.

Thanks

kao_welcome.gif

For sale :

Used ABRSM Grade 1 and Grade 2 PIANO

a) Specimen Sight-reading tests (from 2009)
b) Scales & Broken Chords (from 2009)

These are the latest edition. All are well kept. Selling at S$4.50 each. Total S$17 if you buy all the 4 books.

Self-collection in Sengkang.

I also have Grade 1 to Grade 4 Piano Theory past years papers for sale. PM me if your are interested.

For sale :

Used ABRSM Grade 1 and Grade 2 PIANO

a) Specimen Sight-reading tests (from 2009)
b) Scales & Broken Chords (from 2009)

These are the latest edition. All are well kept. Selling at S$4.50 each. Total S$17 if you buy all the 4 books.

Self-collection in Sengkang.

I also have Grade 1 to Grade 4 Piano Theory past years papers for sale. PM me if your are interested

I know of an experienced private piano teacher, a kind and soft spoken lady. She is good with young children and very knowledgable too... well kids love her.

Her name is Su Lin hp:9030 4318 (note: I don't get commission for promoting her, just wanting to share.. as she is good)

Back