Advice Needed - When To Stop Baby Wearing Mittens

i remove mittens and booties when my gal was 6 weeks old. initally she will scratch herself but now itz better liao...she is now 7+ weeks. she oso tends to put her fist in her mouth but dat is a sign dat she is hungry (learnt dat in antenatal class) so when i see it, i will pull her hand away and tell her a firm NO and then i will feed her with milk after dat. seems to work cos after she haf her milk, her hands will not be near her mouth lor. my in-laws oso told me y so soon remove her mittens and booties and she may scratch herself but i tell them firmly dat i cut her nails short liao and she can exercise her fingers and toes and it is better for their development and after dat, they didnt say anything liao lor.

I tried removing his mittens after 1mth.. cut his nails so short, even the the sides, still feels sharp! Still manage to scratch his face lor. Then worse, that day while changing him he started crying and screaming hysterically.. guess what, he was pulling his own hair and wouldn't let go!!! The poor silly boy! Because of this I decided not to try removing them again. Won't be watching over him 24/7 ma. Maybe after getting a haircut.

Hi
just share with mummies, if your babies scratch herself, can use california baby canlendula cream, it will help to heal very fast.. It works very well for my boy. If it is on face area put the cream when bb sleeping.

Thank you everyone for sharing.
happy.gif

I dun really wear mittens for my bb. Its the confinement lady, my mum and MIL that wear for bb.

After confinement period, seldom wear mitten unless mum and MIL comes.

The scratches heal within 3 days.

Don't be so uptight. We're summer all round, will get sweaty palms one leh... Very pissed when they so KS jump at me when they see BB without mittens.

But one thing is I seldom on air-con.

hi mummies
I removed my twins mittens when they were one month old bcos i wan em to learn how to grap and hold things . I trim their finger nail every week , yes their nails seems to be very sharp even aft trimming - dunno why . My twins do sometimes scratch their face at that time , but i guess its part of growing they need to learn also , but i wear socks for em till they turn 6 months old cos the tiles are quite cold so not good to be barefooted ,i afraid they will get a cold easily . My IL have no comment cos i look aft my twins myself.

Hi all. I too removed the mittens after one month old. But I make sure I trim and file the nails every few days. For some reason the baby nails grow much faster.

my baby is going to be 3mths corrected age.(she is a preemie) but i still have her mitten on. actually for my elder girl, i dun think i let her have the mitten for tat long.. but now my mum keep saying tat my baby´s hands are always cold, so she always want her to wear mitten. i will remove it when i wanna play with her or when i see her trying to playing with her hands(put her hand in her mouth).

think it is time to remove the mitten liao.. i dun wanna affect her motor skill especially she is a preemie, her development might be slower than a full term baby.

and till now, i still wrap her at night when sleeping. she can sleep better tat way. maybe she used to it already cos she was wrapped up much earlier when in kkh.(before the EDD) and after she came home we still continue to wrap her cos when she came home, she not even reaches her EDD yet.

do you all think it is ok to continue to wrap her? will it affect her in any ways?

i stop at 3.5 months, only use when asleep to prevent her nails from scatching the face, day time she can practise her motor skills.

Hi Everyone,

My boy is turning 4mths nxt week but yet he is still wearing mittens but not booties. I have been cutting his nails and file dem but it seem to be sharp still. He likes to rub his face & scratch his leg. Every morning will found scratches on his face. How?

Yes, the scratches heal very fast. Do trim the nails and keep mittens on at night if your bb has a tendency to scratch himself.

Yah... can't be help. Read somewhere that baby need to explore with their fingers as part of their developement. I stop using it by mth 2, hope it helps...

My girl just turned 3 mths and i'm still wearing mittens for her leh... Cos she always throw temper then will scratch herself. I didn't know will interfere with development. If like that, better not let her wear already... :s

once i had his fingernails cut, i stopped the mittens to let his hand be free.. and this is also a way for babies to explore when their hands can feel things..

I still let my almost 7 months baby wear mitten when he goes to sleep. Coz when he's sleepy, he always scratch his ears, until bleeding sometimes. Eventho I have cut his nails very short. Sometimes, in his sleep, he also scratches his ears, so better be safe.

and I notice, when I put mitten on him, it becomes a sleep cue for him. He then rubs his eyes and goes to sleep each time.

Wearing mittens when zzz is important 'cos one time my son scratched his face in his sleep when he was a few months old. Otherwise, we let him decide if he wanted the mittens in the day 'cos he had sweaty palms and kept pulling them off on his own. Also to cut nails as soon as they pose a hazard. I think he totally didn't like mittens by 3 to 4 months old and wanted to use his fingers to grab at things.

Back