Advice Needed-Mount Alvernia or Thomson Medical Centre

I discharged from TMC on the 21 Oct 2006. Agree with MiCh, nurses there are very helpful and nice.

I also got a free upgrade from 4 bedder to 2 bedder ward w/o extra cost and get a complimentary parking coupons too.

I like the tonic soup they serve. Even my MIL cannot cook as well as TMC chefs. :p

hi gingercat,

how much u pay for 4 bedder?for 4 bedder,they will have lactation consultant for 4 bedder also?

hi good gal,

Total i pay abt 800 cash ( including the initial $600 deposit ) cos i stay there for 4 days 3 night and bb stay there for 5 days 4 nighs.

Yupz, mrs wong will go round and visit every mummies...

Mrs Wong DOES NOT go to EVERY MOMMY. Please ASK to see Mrs Wong if you need any help. Keep asking while you are still there, ask until she comes to help you. There is onli ONE lactation consultant in TMC, Mrs Wong Boh Boi. There will be lactation nurses who make rounds also, I found them NOT HELPFUL at all. End up going back to TMC after discharge to see Mrs Wong Boh Boi.

I jus delivered in Jan 07. Cash payment S$1.5k (include S$600 deposit) for natural with epi. stayed 3d 2n, paid extra 1 day cos i admitted b4 midnight and onli delivered the next day...

I delivered in TMC. The nurses are all very nice. Esp those in the delivery wards. So warm and friendly. They made u feel so at home and there is always a smile from them.

For 1 bedded ward, there are complimentary car park coupons. Actually I dun find the parking of any problems or hassle. I enjoyed the Valet services there.

Wynston,

true... Mrs Wong doesn't go to every mommy... I was there end April and during the first day the nurses just push baby to me, never show me how to BF so we trial and error lucky baby suckles well...

only late afternoon the senior nurse asked did anyone show me how to bf / burp baby i said NO and she oso shocked asked me who pushed my baby to me without guiding me i said i dunno which nurse only then she showed me...

i stayed in 4 bedded (free upgrade to 2 bedded) and not once did i see Mrs Wong... but both my friends (same month) stayed 1 bedded both saw Mrs Wong and 1 of them even said the #2 of the hospital came to ask her for feedback etc she find TMC fabulous while i find TMC so-so, and after comparing, indeed both of us received different treatment... the other friend said nurses keep pop in asking if she need help but for me, i'm pretty much left alone during that 2 days...

i got 2 complimentary parking coupons free too...

delivery ward : i find this particular midwife that attend to me that night not very encouraging too... keep saying i push wrongly, wrong way, keep saying things like "aiyah wrong method that's why gynae went home" or "you push loh, push loh" den she go do her own things... etc...

during the last push when bb out that time, i happen to grab her hand as she's standing on my left and she keep yelling at me to let go but the pain was so overwhelming i guess i couldn't be bothered...

this payments that you girls talk about, does it include the gynae payment? Cos my gynae charges $800+ for delivery and additional $150-$200 for daily visits so i am wondering, addding all of this to the actual hospitals tay, will it be much higher?

Does anyone feel my gynae;s charges are too high?

can any mommies who gave birth at TMC share with me what is their rate for a single-bed room, 2-bed room and 4-bed room?? if is natural birth the stay roughly how long?? what about c-section? roughtly got to stay how long?

Hi Cactus
Thanx.
Glad to see u in dis forum. think ever read from another thread dat u r ard 11weeks pregrant. Congrats.

Me now suspecting, as i had missed my menses. Thinking of consulting a GP to confirm b4 approaching a gynae.

Hi pinpong, yup. I'm at 12 weeks now. can't wait for 1st trimester to be over.

O&G doctors are expensive. You should go to a GP or polyclinic first. It's just going to be a simple urine test.
happy.gif
That's what I did!

Hi everyone, I'm also considering between TMC and Mt A. Seems like both are quite good, so wouldn't go wrong choosing either of them.

Seems that TMC is slightly cheaper than Mt A, at least for the 1 bedder rooms.

Heard that TMC is new outside, but the inside rooms are the same as they have been for like 20 years. And Mt A is old outside, but the suite especially is very new like hotel. Wonder if the other 1 bedder and 2 bedder rooms and other facilities are renovated and thus newer too...

Seems parking is better (more lots available, slightly cheaper) at Mt A than TMC too? I live in the east, so both are equally far away for me... sigh.

guess what we need is someone who has delivered in both to make a comparison! hee.

Hi Cactus
Happy CNY.
u r into ur 2nd trimster now?
Take good care of urself ;)

What i m going to say will b side-track from dis thread, hope it will not cause u any mis-comfort as well.
Me tested positive in Dec 2007 after my last posting here, was overwhelmed, scared & happy @ d same time. Not long after knowing my pregnancy, had a MC when i was ard 8weeks preggie.

Anyway, if ever get preggie again, & able to carry d bb to full term, think i will choose MT. A.

Hi pinpong,

Yes, I'm into 2nd trimester now. at 21 weeks.
I'm sorry to hear about your MC. My pregnancy has not been smooth and I'm keeping my fingers crossed also. I'm seeing a doctor whom my hb knows personally for more reassurance.
I'm sure you will be pregnant again and will carry bb to full term. My SIL miscarried at 9 weeks... and conceived again after D&C procedure after 3 months. Please take care.

Hi Cactus
Thanx. Now taking things one at a time, let nature runs it course.
Though still kena "tear-bugs" attack from time to time, will try 2 b stronge & positive.

Do take care of urself, my mama & aunties told me dat, it is adviseable for preggie ladies to hav happy & positive thots, as it will affect d BB growth, so try not to worry too much.

Hi pinpong, just want to let you know I think you are a very strong lady. Being emotionally and mentally strong is important. I've had my share of tears and agony too during pregnancy due to worry and anxiety so I'm keeping my fingers crossed till safe birth of the baby. I know how precious life is.

Hi Cactus
Thanx for ur encouragement, try to b strong as each day passes. Just another 2 to 3 yrs & i will be 36, d risk will be escalated. Anyway leaving it to fate, what meant to b, will b.

It is easily say than done, to not 2 worry & hav happy, positive thots. For d sake of BB & ourselves we will hav to.
Mind to share what cause ur worry?

Hi pinpong,
my pregnancy was initially suspected to be etopic. although the bb was not planned (honeymoon bb immediately after wedding...), we were still disappointed cos we were prepared to be parents. then there was early pregnancy bleeding. finanlly, although the NT scan was good, I was later told that bb was at high risk of being a downs syndrome bb. hb and I didn't want to put bb through amnio for the risk of miscarrying. finally, after we've settled on my MIL looking after our bb for us, my SIL became pregnant and will deliver 4 months after me. that left us with no choice but to scuttle around looking for alternative childcare. If anything happens to bb, unhealthy or abnormal, I will feel strong pangs of guilt. during our honeymoon, I didn't realised we had conceived a child. we were eating raw foods, wine, soft unpasterurised cheeses and resting very little. We were in paris for 2 weeks...

Hi Cactus_79

Can do Chromsomes test @ dis stage of pregnancy? To test for DS?

Hav u discuss with ur MIL, whether she able to look after BB till ur SIL delivers. At least it will buy sometime to look for some one to look after BB.

Try to hav positive & happy thots, dat what my mummies gal frenz advised. Worrying will add stress to ur health & d BB too.

Can understand d feeling of guilt & doubt. Worrying whether did we do something or eat something which may do harm to d BB/foetus. Even till now I still think, what I can do to prevent my MC.
Just to share with u. Had shared my emotions with my mama, & my mama said it is norm for MTBs to worry for d safety of BB. It is d uncertainities & d beginning of parenthoods. Even after d safe delivery of d BB, d worry will continue, it is d love & sense of responsibility of parents.

After our loss, realized dat bearing a child & being parents is not dat easy & not 2 b taken for granted. I have been taking things too easy, even deny my rights to child-bearing.
Now I understand y pple say, ‘it is a blessing to hav child’ & bearing a child is so miraculous & precious.

Think it is my karma…

Cactus, hang in there & b stronge, things will b fine…
Me not Christian, but I hope d almighty from above will look out for ur HB, ur BB & u..

Hi pinpong, hb and I decided not to go for further tests eventually (for DS) cos we can't bear to abort our bb even if it's DS.
MIL Is prepared to look after our bb till SIL delivers. that will buy us about 4 months. At my end, I'm planning to work part time too. But finances will not be easy to manage cos hb and I don't have our home yet. We got married Sept 07 and have been shuttling between both parents' place so far.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and thanks for your blessings.

thanks for sharing so much guys, hope pinpong conceives soon, and cactus_79 has a smooth delivery with a healthy happy baby. Would love to hear updates.
happy.gif

Personally I still haven't decided between TMC and MAH. Guess ultimately it'll depend on the gynae that i choose. More impt to get the right gynae than the right hospital to a certain extent...

hi CH Lee, you are absolutely right. Good doctor is more important than right hospital. Of course, right hospital is also important esp if the labour ward facilities differ. most of the doctors delivering at TMC also deliver at MAH so I believe your choice will be wide!
happy.gif

Hi Cactus
Think ur HB & u r v brave. It is good to hav HB & u standing together, giving each other encouragement & support. Given me, think i will b paranoid & lose.

Concentrates on taking care of ur health & BB. As for d plan of working part time, suggest can consider after BB delivery & after u hav a good rest/confinement.

Hi CH Lee
Thanx for ur well-wishes.
Hope u will decide on d hospital soon, do agreed with u all dat a good gynae is imp, so is d hospital facilities.

Its really great dat can share thots in dis forum & learn from each other, drawing encouragement & motivation form each other as well.

Cactus,

It must be really tough to not have your own place. Esp now with a baby along the way. Will your new place be ready sometime soon?

Pinpong,

yup, facilities are impt, but think TMC and MAH facilities almost the same... only KKH and NUH have those for very complicated situations.

Hi CH Lee,

It's not easy not to have our own place. But we are fortunate to have spare rooms at both my ILs place and my parents' place for us and the baby. At the moment, we spend weekdays at my ILs place and weekends at my parents' place. It's just the physical moving to and fro that was initially difficult but we've gotten used to it already and it helps that we have identical sets of things at both houses.
happy.gif

My MIL will be doing confinement for me and will look after our bb till about 4 months, then we're moving back permenantly to my parents' place for an indefinate period of time.

We've not bought any place yet. At the moment, we're just observing the prices. Hopefully they will stablise or fall further. We're hoping not to have to take up a bank loan for the home so have been saving up aggressively. The amoutn of interst that we have to pay a bank is just crazy and not worth it. It was a decision that hb and I came to before marriage - to save up enough to buy a home without a bank loan.

It's a blessing that my parents are prepared to help us out with our bb and give us space in their own home. Although we're getting a maid for the bb, we can't leave the maid alone at home.. so that's where my retired dad steps in. hb and I have an arrangement whereby we'll give my parents a room in our new home after we've bought it cos we recognise it's not safe to have a maid alone at home without another adult.

Hi Cactus
Glad dat u hav planned ahead & things is "somehow" settled.

Agreed dat in a way or 2, it is not safe to hav a maid alone in d hse.

things will b fine, focus on taking care of urself & bb ;)

Hi mommies,
Just want to share that I delivered my baby in MAH last mar. Service, room and food were very good. I would definitely return there if I get preggie again. I didn't want to choose TMC due to parking and crowd. It's more peaceful at MAH.

Hi cactus,
good to see u have settled the arrangements, must be very challenging for u and u r blessed to have both ur hb and parents support. All the best for a smooth delivery.

Hi pinpong,
I know of a colleague who had abortion due to chicken pox risk and MC for her second baby but she eventually ended up with a pair of pretty twins. So brace up and hold the belief that your child is on his/her way to call u mom.... that's what I told myself after trying for 1yr plus. Try to relax and build up ur body while preparing for ur preggie.

Hi CH Lee,
All the best for your pregnancy and hope u decide on ur hospital. :)

Hi swmom
Thanx, u words ".. belief that your child is on his/her way to call u mom.." bring tears to my eyes. (again.. can't help it, it is an on, off thing, though d no. of time, me crying is lesser)
Thanx, will hang in there.. & building up my health now.

Hi CH Lee
u decieded on ur gynae & d hospital yet?

Hi Cactus
How hav u been? hope everything is fine.

Hope u & CH Lee a smooth delivery ;)

Hi Pinpong and Catcus,

Was browsing ard and chanced upon this thread cos my gynea also deliver with MAH and TMC, don't know which hospital I should go to. Didn't expect to see you ladies here.

Pinpong,
I stroll up and saw your earlier postings. Feel so sorry to hear abt what happened to you. My relative just MC during CNY, she was expecting twins on their 4th month. Ask you something? Do you believe in Chinese Medication to help in concieving? I have a colleague now seeing a Chinese Physician and they are expecting their 2nd son, also seeing the same gynea as me.

Catcus, Pinpong,
I find the 2 of you very strong mentally compared to me. Somehow after reading the above postings, I realized I'm really such a weakling and coward.

My pregnancy was unplanned and I had cyst earlier in my pregnancy resulting in cramps. Now I am advised to bedrest becos I had low placenta and preterm contractions. Becos of all these things going on, all these while I kept thinking if my pregnancy is a curse cos it wasn't smooth. I almost had an abortion earlier becos of all these happening to me. Now I see what you ladies are going through, I feel so guilty for thinking the way I'm thinking. What I've been going through is nothing compared to the 2 of you. You ladies are so strong and I really hope I'll be more positive towards my pregnancy from now on. I'll really try.

Meanwhile Pinpong, good luck for your ttc. Don't blame yourself for what happened anymore. God knows your desire and I believe you'll be blessed with a bb soon.

Catcus, don't worry abt your baby. Afterall, high risk doesn't confirm anything rite? There's still chances baby is normal. Don't give up on that little hope. I pray that things will turn out fine for you.

hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd come back to this thread to 'report' on my findings cos I went for TMC tour last Sat.

The parking is really quite difficult! We did valet parking and later took the free minibus to whitley carpark to pick up the car. Heard that parking in TMC itself might take even more time and more exp.

My main problem with TMC is that there are renovations ongoing, and will not end for a year more. Which means when i deliver in Oct, will definitely still have construction noise. Some floors are renovated, whilst others are not, so even if you book a 1-bedder, you might still get an unrenovated one.

I haven't been on MAH tour yet... will share more when i do.

Hi Swmum - thanks for sharing. I also went to MAH before, and heard that this person couldn't find parking on a weekday morning. But guess overall it's still slightly better at MAH.

Hi Pinpong - I've decided on my gynae - Joycelyn Wong from ACJ Clinic located at TMC. But she delivers at MAH as well, phew! thanks for your wishes. All the best to you too! must Dong1 Shan1 Zai4 Qi3!

Hi Kelcqi
Recently one of my gal frenz mentioned a Chinese Doc located at Jurong East whom work closing with 2 Western doc. my gal frenz told me dat she will b going to consult dat chinese doc soon.
Personally, i will approach Chinese Sinseh to "diao" & recuperate my health & body, as for concieving, yet to consider dat.

Kelcqi, u r strong & brave too. u hav to bear with d cramps, worry & discomfort. Dun think of it as something bad.

i think it will definite bring some lights to d saying of "it is a blessing to hav kid" with pregnancy & into motherhood, there will b up & down, joy & d happiness dat d child will bring when u r holding them in ur arms.

Try not to move too much, & hav lot of rest.
Talk to ur bb if u want, me did dat when i thot BB was still growing inside me. By doing so i sort of focus on BB wellbeing instead of worry abt d financial, pain to b encounter etc etc.
Just my suggestion & my sharing.

Thanx Kelcqi for ur well-wishing..

Hi dimpletot
Just notice, ur changed ur name from CH Lee to dimpletot. hehee..

Dr Joycelyn Wong, i saw her name from one of d thread too. It is good dat Dr Joycelyn Wong also delivers at MAH. So u got another option.
So u r going into ur 2nd trimster soon. Hurray

Do share with u ur experience on d MAH tour, ;)

thanks pinpong... yah changed my nick. confusing to have two.
happy.gif

Not really going into 2nd trimester yet... only 9 weeks now... next visit is at 12 weeks. Sure will share more when i visit MAH.

Hi Catcus,

I agreed with Kelcqi that High risk doent mean confirm!
I also have this experience. I am 20 wks preg now. And this is my third child.

During first preg, the blood test came out with high risk of the DS. At that time, We are so worried and dont know what to do but after found out that our family history is OK and when my age at that time is only 26 (which consider low risk group), so decided not to do further test. And finally, my elder son is healty and he is now 5 yrs old.

My second bb's blood test had no problem when i am 28.

Now i am 31, the blood test again was high risk in DS and the risk is higher than the first bb. But we also dint go for further test. We have trust in ourself and no matter what happen we will accept the bb. Recently, i went for the detail scanning, the gynea check thru the bb and comment that he is low risk in DS! See report doest mean confirm! We need to be brave and enjoy the pregnant journey.

same thoughts, hoon loon. I'm now 25 weeks and I love every moment of the pregnancy. onc ein a while, I do worry about the bb, but I try to relax and take it easy. A huge part of me knows bb will be fine.. but it's probably the fear in every mom that bb will not be fine at birth. confused yet happy at the same time.

my detailed scan went fine.. no DS soft markers. my doctor scans bb's heart and features at every visit too, to make sure. so far so good. keeping fingers crossed and will stay brave.

Congrats dimpletot, very soon u will b into 2nd trimester.

So happy for u & Cactus,
Mum-to-bes, mayb u hav heard many well-wishing of taking care of urself, but just cant help stopping to say, 'take care of urself'. Think it my way of show my care. ;)

Two Thumbs up for Mount Alvernia!

I had a wonderful experience delivering my beautiful ger in Aug 07, enjoyed totally from admission to discharge.

If i plan #2, i definitely go Mopunt Alvernia...;)

Hi, i delivered at TMC too on sep08. i find the nurse are friendly, food normal,u can even attend courses on how to bath,feed bb..however TMC parking lots is very limited (if ur hubby is driving) where else Mt Alvernia have more parking lots.

Hi, I'm a 1st time mum, EDD in Jun 2009. I initially choose MAH for my delivery upon hearing many good feedbacks from friends and relatives. But changed my mind after the hospital tour there last December. The nurse who brought us through the wards was very rushed, she was very unhappy and unfriendly when we asked her questions. For most of them, she was unable to answer, and kept telling us to just check the main website and call the hotline. One couple asked about the renovated wards, turn out for 2 bedded, there are 2 diff wings with renovated and non-renovated wards, they are the same price and it's allocated on 1st come 1st server basis. The overall experience was rather disappointing, even the front desk staff were rather unfriendly too.

Hence, we tried to go for TMC hospital tour just last month (initially we were rather reluctant, due to its higher cost compared to MAH). The tour was more organized, the nurse who brought us through was very well prepared with the information/pictures (just in case we couldn't see the ward due to occupancy) and she can answer all the questions we asked. The rooms also looks brighter and newer compared to MAH. The staff are not over-friendly either, but at least they're quite prompt with our queries.

Again, it might just be our luck that we had that lady for our tour @MAH, I had friends who's got a different nurse (Sister Raj) for the tour and they have good impressions of the services.

Hi all,

I delivered my 1st baby in Nov'06 at Mt A. Stayed in the single room. The midwives & nurses are very supportive,helpful and friendly.I had a wonderful experience there.Went back to Mt A in Jun'08 to deliver my 2nd baby. Stayed in the Deluxe single room ( Newly renovated & nicer room )Nurses not as helpful as the 1st time.. My EDD for my 3rd baby is in early Jul'09. This time have to go to TMC as I'm doing ligation after giving birth to my baby.(Cant do ligation in Mt A or I will go back there as I'm more familiar and comfortable there.)Not sure if its true but heard that in TMC, you have to pay for every small things like, cotton balls to clean your wound,sanitary pads & disposable panty after you deliver,etc.. these are all provided in the package for Mt A.

Hi

I gave bith to my 2 kids at TMC in 2004 & 2006 respectively, i really like the service provided by the nurses & the comfort level there of cos nt forgetting the confinement food. Yummy yummy!

Back