Advice needed: free KKH baby stuff

cmeilim

I will be delivering my first newborn at KKH this May. Would like to know what freebies KKH will be giving me and my baby, so that I can avoid buying duplicates. Mummies who have delivered at KKH before, pls kindly advise me! Thanks! =)

In your delivery package :
2 packs Kotex maternity pads (adhesive - I was in private class, A1 ward)
1 pack NB pampers
1 box facial tissues
1 pack wipes
1 pack disposable panties (I think maybe there were 5 or 7 pcs)
1 pack incontinence sheets

All of the above are given to you to use whilst at the hospital. You can bring any remainder home.

There are also freebies, but that varies from time to time, depending on the sponsors. Mostly diff types of diapers, and other samples of baby wash etc.

thks, priviledged..
happy.gif

Thanks, priviledged. Is there a difference between the freebies that patients in the private suite and subsidised wards get? I am under TPS for my usual pre-natal appts, but have not decided which class to go for for the delivery. I heard that other private hospitals also give freebies like diaper bags, newborn's clothes/vest, or a baby blanket etc. Does KKH include these as well? I heard that it's also possible to ask to keep the milk bottles - is this still true? Are the milk bottles glass or plastic?

When I gave birth in KKH three years ago, only the basic items are given. Infant Diaper, maternity pad, 1 pack of disposable panties, toothbrush and toothpaste. Can't remember with there were shower cream and shampoo. I was staying in B1 ward. Can request for one or two bottles of infant liquid milk

Thanks, JasC. I am going to start packing my bag for the hospital. Don't want to overpack nor buy too many duplicate items for baby, so I am seeking advice here on what will be provided, and what I should pack there.

Hi Carol

I'm also giving birth in early May09 or earlier. Stay cool. Just pack your going home clothes and clothing for baby will do. If you want, can get your own disposable panties, more comfortable, also a pair of slippers for you to walk to toilet or taking a shower .

Hi iiskies

I think is not necessary since KKH provides the standard gown for the patients. Normally delivery will need to stay only one night, so I won't pack my own PJ. Somemore no need to wash if is stained.

Carol,
Nope. No diaper bags, no clothes, no blanket, no bathtub.
But if you're in A1, they provide you a bath towel, a face towel and a toiletry pack to use. You can take home the toiletry pack too, but not the bath towel.

Dunno what you get if you stay in the subsidised wards.
I was on Total Breast Feed, so no bottles. Didn't supplement at all. But I think you can ask for the bottles if you want to.

I went to the hospital in slippers, so I wore that when walking around in the hospital,

No need PJs, the gown the provide is really good, got breastfeeding flaps and all. They provide 2 a day, and more if you ask for it.

Just bring one set of going home clothes for yourself and your bb. Have lots of empty space in your bags to bring back the other stuff like the pads and diapers cos they are rather bulky items.

Hi Priviledged,
Did u opt for the A1 premier package? I'll like to know how much you pay too. The Admission nurse explained but I still find it confusing. The package...does it include the doc's fees and also fees for baby's stay/nursing?

thanks!

Hi Usagi and JasC,
Yes I was on the Premier package, using A1 (single bedded) with a Senior Consultant.
The Premier package price for normal delivery is $1550. This includes board and lodging for 2 nights, use of delivery suite for up to 8 hours, supplies and treatments for the days of stay, and some other stuff listed in section 4 under "package items".

The 'estimated bill size' for A1 is what you pre-pay, and it's about $3800, inclusive of medisave deduction of about $1800. So you'll have to pre-pay around $2K cash BEFORE you deliver.

The estimated bill size includes the items you have used under the 'exclusions' section of the package list. Under this is the Dr's fees, and all neonatal items - nursery fees, vaccinations, treatment fees, tests etc. Also, if you stay longer, and if you use epidural, have induction, use the delivery suite >8 hours, all this is chargeable for extra.

For my recent delivery, I had a normal delivery, no epidural, no induction. I was in the labour room about 10 hours in total.
My total bill size was $3311 inclusive of GST. Medisave paid just over $1800. So I paid around $1500 cash (prepaied already). Since I had given them around $2000 cash, they have refunded me $500+ in a cheque. No further charges.

Hope that helps.

Hi Priviledged

Thanks for the info.

Is there a curtain around the bed? In case we need to breastfeed and expecting visitors?

I've opted for B1 ward and paid $1568 cash upfront. May change my mind at the time of admission if the cost is not very much diff. So far my baby is still in breech position and if c-section then I'll will continue to opt for B1.

Jasc,
A1 is single bedded. You can put up a breastfeeding sign outside the room. There is a curtain between the door and the main part of the room. But I'm very comfortable with BF when others are around, as long as I'm latched on already. Or just drape a bb blanket over your shoulders. The gown they provide has very large flaps to cover your bb when breastfeeding.

Hi,

My wife delivered on Feb 09 at KK under Premium 4 bed. As far as concern there is nothing you need to prepare at all... Haha.

What you need on expecting day (1st day):
1. Yourself & hubby +++
2. Your mobile
3. Your wallet and Ic

On 2nd day onwards:
1. It all depends what u need to kill your boredom or anything your hubby or family can bring to you.

Discharge day (Important)!!!
1. 1 set of baby clothes
2. 1 set of Hands and feet mitten
3. Blanket or anything to cover your discharged baby.
4. A big bag to collect lots of sponsors diapers, etc from KK Sponsor.
5. Final bill will be mailed to you after 3 weeks

If anything, the nurse there will advice you.

M/s Confused,
My gynae is A/Prof Han How Chuan, Senior Consultant. For a regular afternoon visit at TPS, about $68 or so, incl urine test.

I delivered my gal last november under premium B1 normal delivery pkg. Paid upfront $1300 after the subsidy of $1800. They have refunded me a cheque of $890 after all the misc charges like i overused the labour room by 4hrs and i opt for vaccum assist. If not i think they ll refund me even more.

On the day of delivery, just bring ur prepack bag (consist of mitten and bootie, 1 set of bb clothes and 1 set of ur clothes). the rest like maternity pad, toiletries, sleeping gown all will be provided.

Day of discharge remember to bring home bb's pampers and wet tissues. All have been precharge to ur bill.

As for the curtain, no worries seldom anyone will open ur curtain, there's alot of privacy. Moreover once u latch on ur bb, just flip ur gown, no 1 can see....

The nurses there are very helpful. Ask for help if u need.

Anyone with the same gynae? Mine is Dr Benjamin Tham

Dear mothers or mothers-to-be, if you are looking for an experienced nanny, feel free to contact my mom by sending me a personal message.

My mom has a lot of experience taking care of children as well as newborn. willing to take care for day and night.

hi kitticutix and squirrel,

my gynae is dr benjamin tham too. my edd is aug 09. can u pls share if he does give print out of the scan photos? i have yet to receive any
sad.gif

Hi virgo,
Yes he does give print out if he find your bb is in good position. not being block by any view. Or you can try asking him for it too. So u r deciding to have a normal delivery or caesaren?

Hi Kitticutix,

My EDD is 19 Sept 09. Actually i only switched to Dr Tham (my sis gynae)after my 14weeks of pregnancy. Hee.

Hi virgo,

I remember i ever asked him to print out the scan photo he said my bb is still very small the scan pic print out will not be very nice. He said he'll print for me when my bb is bigger. You are having a boy or girl?

hihi, my gynae is Yeap Min Li, i am going to give birth tomorrow after visit her at 10.50am...
my EDD date is 30/04, but during last thursday visit, she said i can deliver anytime...

hi su hui

i dun quite understand. why is your gynae telling you to deliver ahead of EDD? you opted for elective c-section?

hi kitticutix,

i kenna "brain-washed" by him last saturday to go for normal delivery. I was keen in caesaren at first.

Hi Squirrel,

I am having a girl.I tried asking for a print out. but the baby was "shy" ,,,, hahahah she was covering her face like playing hide and seek so no chance of a photo.

Hi both,
Wanna stay in touch via msn? pls pm me, thanks.

hi virgo, you should certainly go for vaginal delivery if you can. your gynae did the right thing. i know mummies who wished their medical circumstances could have allowed them to do the same. less complications related to major surgery (yes, c-section is still a major surgery), shorter healing time, better chance of natural delivery again the next time.

Hi Virgo and Squirrel,
Sorry for the late replies. The forum seems to be down always..... So difficult to post up.

Squirrel,
What a coincidence.... I too changed to Dr Tham when i was about 5months preggy. He is really a very good gynae.

Virgo,
Hmmm..... Jia you.... YOu can do it..... But if u are going for vaginal delivery, do not take epidural. It will prolong ur delivery duration.

hi virgo

unfortunately i dun really msn (yeah, i know i am quite a dinosaur in this aspect) cos i try to rest my eyes from the PC screen after a long day in office. but you can always reach me via PM. i'll be happy to stay in touch. all new mummies can do with mutual encouragement. =)

hi, i delivered my 3rd last mth and got the bill recently. was wondering how come i have 2 separate bills - one for me, the other for my baby. when i delivered my first 2 in 2006 and 2007, i dun remember getting 2 separate bills. is this new? or is it cos my baby had to go through extra scan for heart issues? appreciate feedback from mummies who juz gav birth in kkh recently.

Luke's Mom,
I think you are correct about the extra bill for extra services for baby. My #2 was whisked into SCN after he was born 2 yrs ago, though there was nothing really wrong with him. They were just kiasu cos during the antenatal scan, he had dilated kidneys. Anyway, I also received 2 bills that time. This time, in Feb, with my #3, everything normal and routine, only one bill.

Hi All,

I'm new in this thread. Have been seeing Dr Tham from KKH.
Would like to know when they will ask you to choose the delivery package? thank you
happy.gif

Hi,

Can I check if Dr Tham have a delivery package?
I heard that there is no delivery package at TPS?
When is the last time we can swtich gynae as I am currently at TMC?

hi there.. if u're a patient at the tps, most prob they'll ask u to opt for the premier package when u're in abt 32 weeks liddat..

hi, under dr tham he will not ask you to put any deposit until week 36 or 37. i saw him at AMK clinic so for week 36 visit he ask me to see him at TPS so after visit can put deposit for the package. note that for KK, the latest you can put deposit is in week 36. that's what the admissions person told me. but not sure what happens if u put deposit after that..

and yes i always get print out of the scan pics.

just delivered 2 weeks ago and got the standard items mentioned above. got goodie pack with few diaper samples and creams. no baby vest, in fact the nurse told me on day of discharge that i need to return the vest my girl had on to them before discharge so reminded me to change her into home clothes that i brought. the vest they provided wasn't even in good condition! re-used.
and i was staying in A1 ward single bedder.

really the admission person said dat?.. i'm delivering in aug n when i went to enquire abt the package thingy sumtime in june, the woman did say sth abt doctor's quota or wat.. but when i checked wif my gynae she said no such ting le.. in fact she said since i'm delivering in aug, i cn even book the package betwn mid to end july.. funny hor..

hi mommies, i'm new to this forum.. My EDD on 8 aug 09.. I am seeing Dr K.T Tan at KKH TPS.. I'm on my 34 weeks coming to 35 weeks pregnant.. But I've yet opted for any package.. When will that be done? If I nv choose any package, will I still be able to get a bed when I deliver? Is it a must to place a deposit before I deliver?

Hi Shannon! my edd's close to urs.. which is 13th Aug. I just booked my package last fri. Normally when u're abt 36 weeks liddat they wil ask u which is ur choice of ward since u're seein doctor at TPS. n normally, TPS will only offer premier package to their patients. As for nt booking package, u stil hv a choice of which bed u want but the difference is whether or nt doc wil b dere for u. For kkh policy i understand only b1 n above doc will attend to ur delivery. but only if u opt for premier package den ur doc of choice will be dere fr the time u admit.

Back