Abacus - Which school is good

You can try CMA Abacus. It has a number of outlets. My dd was with them for about two years.

Hi easy,

how old is your daughter when u sent her to CMA? Are the classes interesting? Any idea how it fares compared to E&P learning? Thanks

how many years to complete the whole course?
happy.gif

many abacas teacher don't take 4 years old too young. As e child will find tedious n boring. The best is K2 or p1. A friend children send K2. Don't send if you child is already P3 or P4 wasting your $ they will be confused with the method in school and abacus.

Most abacas class are taught at CC. Like Yishun is held on Thursday. Same teacher teaching at Bishan cc as well. Fees are charge per term basis.

CMA starts intake at 4yrs
Not point start at K2 and pri. If you refer to Pri 1 maths, it is more on understanding the English language to derive to the answer.

K2 is to prepare the kid for P1 maths.. so Abacus which is not relevant to MOE syllabus should be started earlier to train the kid the basic in addition, substraction, multiplication and division.
Once kids go to Primary school should focus more on addition class and subject relevant to syllabus.

this is my personal view

4 years is too young for abacas. Such a young age cannot focus well cannot stay still. A teacher told me start at age 4 years he/she would nt take in. Unless you are teaching yourself one to one basis then difference issue. More centre I have asked min age is min K1 onwards and nt less than K1.

Manage to chance this thread..
My son started Abacus when he was 3yrs 10mths and he was not the youngest then
He is in CMA.. they will do an assessment on the kid before intake.
So able to start young or not, depend on school also the child ability to write the numbers and if the child able to know at least 1-10 basic.

My son now in K2 now and going to his Abacus advance level end March, but I am going to withdrawn him soon, as he has got too many ECAs .. however starting young, give him the head start to be more discipline in his work , cos Abacus work (CMA) has to be done repeative .. that mold him to be discipline and patience.

And I agree with PET that Abacus is not relevant in Primary school anymore.
My sisters two daughters from MGS, withdraw abacus when the reach Primary school like P2/P1, cos the Primary school Mathematic is not as simply solving number statements alone, a lot of comprehension on the Maths problem, also working need to prove the answer, so they have to use modelling instead. however since they did CMA before, this enable them to count much faster, that's all.

The lead teacher in the CMA school once told me this that Abacus is mind training for younger kids and should start young , since their brain is like " sponge" can absorb things faster

Wow the course so long one?!
If the course is 5 yrs to complete, then it make sense that the abacus be started at 4 year old right??

4 + 5 = 9 year old.
Just nice complete at P3, then they won't be confuse liao.

I know last time school got use abacus, then MOE take out from school later.
Does anyone know the reason?

My girl did an assessment with CMA at City Square. they suggested that I send her there after 4y.o.

Calculators are allowed even for PSLE. Many think there is no use for abacus and mental calculation. I must say this is a form of training and discipline. It will not only benefit Math but other subjects. It trains our kid to be focussed and determined..which is very important for our country's education system.

So, meantime, I am working with my girl (3y10mth) to improve her writing of numbers..

do kids enjoy abacus and what's the best age to enrol? just wondering if mine will take to the lessons.

Hi, my son's with cma... if anyone need referral for CMA class, u can quote my son to enjoy 8% discount off a term fee. I will also enjoy 8% off too.

Pls pm me for my detail if keen..

Should i sent my kid to Abacus at P1? She went for trial before last yr but hated it...(K2). I see her P1 maths a lot of comprehension understanding..just wondering will it be useful in her work?

sinnyy
personally i find at P1 it wont be useful anymore.

My gal started at 4 and stop at P1.

Abacus/mental arithmetic requires the child to have a lot of patience to sit down and complete their homework (it is in the amount of 100-200 math sum per week)

My kids learnt it in CC which is much cheaper than CMA.

So if you foresee your child do not like to be tight down with lots of homework sums..pls dont enrol, it is a chore for parents and child.

Last edited:
Hi, my son's with cma... if anyone need referral for CMA class, u can quote my son to enjoy 8% discount off a term fee. I will also enjoy 8% off too.

Hi lemonade88, am interested in starting my boy for the class.. Can u please send me more on details please, so that both of us can enjoy the discounts. Thanks. Xx

Hello, what's the name of your son? And which branch is he at? Thanks.:)

Should i sent my kid to Abacus at P1? She went for trial before last yr but hated it...(K2). I see her P1 maths a lot of comprehension understanding..just wondering will it be useful in her work?
Can send to blk 542,senja RC...3G Abacus

Hello! I am very glad that I got to such a wonderful forum where very interesting topics are raised. For me, as a parent, it is very important that my child receive a good education, because in the future, he will be able to exchange them for material resources. Many take a lot of time to think. But still, the choice is limited to schools in our country. I searched a lot of material on the Internet and decided to order several articles on this topic at https://writingcreek.com/for-beginners/, where I received a lot of in-depth analysis of the topic. And he dwelled on the fact that education is good everywhere because no matter how you twist it is based on those principles that were given 100 years ago.

Back