5months baby boy not drinking milk nor taking cereals.. help needed

hi isis,

when feeding medicine..you can try my method.
use the milk teat (of coz with the plastic ring), pour the required amt of medicine and jus feed.
make sure that her mouth covers the teat like when she's drinking milk.
in this way, there won't be any spillage and she;ll suck the medicine greedily.

is this thread still active?
Been reading thru it and wld like to share my experience.

Most mummies who brought their bbs to the PD. The PD say nothing wrong, rite? When i took my bb with the same problem to my PD, she says itz reflux. She checked his throat and itz was red, due to the acid backing up to the throat and burning it. That's y bb fuss and cry during feedings and refuse to drink. Cos his throat is painful.

I wonder if bbs are underdignosed. Maybe tatz the reason y most bbs refuse milk ard this time and we juz accept it as passing phase.

Itz such a stressful time for us.

Sungrapes

So wat your PD suggest and is your son given any medication?

My 3mths girl refuse to milk and she will fuss & cry during feeding
sad.gif

(This problem has been abt a mth aldy)

sungrapes, how do we know whether is there acid backing up to the throat? and how does it happen?

my 5mths boy also refusing milk since he was 2.5mths old... has been hard time feeding him, we try to be really patience to feed him, but things getting worse, his usual milk intake is reducing as time passes... but the weird thing is he likes plain water very much, when he's hungry, he will rather take water than drink milk...

hi coeee,sonic

for more info on acid reflux, pls google 'acid reflux in babies'. the info is quite comprehensive and u will b able to guage by the symptoms given in the website. But the best way is to tell ur PD wat u suspect.

my bb boy's reflux started when he was 2.5mths old and PD disgnosed during his 3rd mth chk up.

Was prescribed Zantac and Motilium.

Advised to chg FM to friso comfort. This FM is thicker so milk will stay in his stomach(gravity) and reduce spitting up.

Zantac is to ctrl and reduce acid in stomach. Motilium is to help move contents thru stomach and digestive system faster to help reduce spitups.

the key is ctrl the amt of stomach acid and REDUCE SPITUPS. cos it brings up the stomach acid to the throat, therefore burning it.

Sonic, the PD chk his throat and it was red. Ruled out viral/bacteria infection cos bb was active,happy,no fever,rashes etc. If ur boy spitup all the time, even hrs after his last feed, spitup is curdled and sour smell/sour breath, then most likly is acidic contents.

My boy oso likes water instead of milk.cos water is cooling for his sorethroat and not thick like milk,so swallowing deos not hurt him.

This was wat i did,
Gv cool water b4 feeding. once he's sucking well quickly remv water and replc with milk bot. u may hav to do this a few times.

Dun gv milk tatz 2 warm. Room temp milk is gd. warm liquid makes his throat worse.

Gv diluted FM. maybe half-1 scoop less.

Muz gv LOTS of water to sooth his throat.

I cant really explain the mechanism of acid reflux. best to read frm website. arm urself with knowledge abt tis reflux problem and u will noe hw to make ur bb mre comfortable while waiting for tis to pass.

I underst hw u feel. i went thru it myself and cried..even infront of the PD..so desperate to make my bb drink and stop his discomfort, esp wen he cry til so 'chiam'.really breaks my heart to noe tat he's hungry but cant eat cos throat pain.

the med really helps. my boy tok them for abt 2wks. But muz be patient while the med takes effect cos itz not an overnite thg.i had to monitor wkly progress and visit PD once a wk to rule out bacteria infection(if throat still remain red).

As long as bb is happy and not losing wt..But pls do consult a gd PD, with gd knowledge abt acid reflux.

Seems like every other PD pass it off as colic.

Hope this helps and pls take care and b positive.

hi sungrapes, that's really something that i need to watch out since my boy has same sympton as your son. May I know which PD u went to? Can u pm me the details? I think I have to bring my boy there, just to be sure whether is he hving acid reflux.

thanks.

sonic, juz pm u.

hw's ur son now? still refusing milk?

my boy now 4.5mths and he's ok liao..

pls be patient ok! take care.

hi sungrapes, got your pm. thanks.

my son is still the same, still refusing milk. we will feed him whenever he's about to fall asleep. sometimes he doesn't want to sleep but when it's due for feeding, we still have to try feeding him, that's the time he will shake his head, and make noise. He doesn't cry, nor yell, only keep on push the bottle away or start 'talking' while having the teat in his mouth - simply refuse to drink.

He does spits out some time, but only if he's on this tummy or being too excited when we play with him or when we hold him upright. Thought this is pretty normal coz it's burping effect?

your boy's reflux & throat discomfort subsided after taken the medicine? does he need to be on long term medication just to prevent this from happening again?

hey sonic,
My experience is tat my boy will scream and cry during feedg, like he's in pain. But u say urs nv cry..so maybe itz not reflux.?

My boy nw oso behave like urs during feeds. He will use his tongue to push the teat ard and try to 'talk'. He sucks awhile then let the milk dribble out of his mouth. Smtimes i think the milk dribble out more than wat he drinks!

My feeling is tat he's not hungry yet and wants to play/talk, cos he doesnt seem grumpy. So i will put the milk away and play with him a few mins, gv him sm water and burp him. Most times, he will gv small burp and after playg abit i feed him again.

Other times i will gv him anti-colic drops, wait awhile then feed.

As long as he doesnt cry,itz ok with me, juz need mre patience and hav to figure out his 'pattern'. Most time i realise itz wind, like bloatedness in adults. Juz put him uprite and burp him.

The med sure helps! Itz not long term. Stop the med wen condition improve.

Is ur boy eating cereal yet?

Hi,

Have you try Frisocream rice cereal, it taste really good. My son was a choosy eater, we have try so many brands but he just like Frisocream, hope it helps!

Cheers

You can also cook stock, fill the stock in the milk bottle for the bb to drink. The stock you can use kampong chicken, potato, carrot, cabbage(or other veg), some wolfberries. The 'zhau' we eat ourself.
happy.gif

hi sungrapes, thx for sharing yr exp.. my 2mth old is suspected of suffering from reflux.. i have PM u.. need the contact of yr PD... you may wanna sms me at 96825907.. hope to hear from u soon !! thx!

Hi pinknblue,
Thks for ur advice..im not weaning my boy yet as i think his milk input is still not enuf for his wt. As soon as he gets a mre regular feeding pattern and steady qty of milk then will consider weaning. May hav to wait till full 6mths.

where can i get this frisocream? any supermkt? Giant dun hav cos i look for it there. Been reading up on weaning..hope it will b smoother process.

Edde,
i've PM u liao..

Juz abit mre sharing..
Keep a record of ur bb's feeding habits for 3-4days. Tatz wat i did for 1 wk for my boy.

I recorded time of feed, amt of milk at each feed and his reaction and behaviour. ie how he cry, did he arch his back?, draw his knees up?,is there wheezing sound frm his chest? qty he vomits and frequency etc. even the consistency of vomit is impt to help doc get correct diagnose.

Doc will depend on ur input and observation. So as a parent we can assist alot in tis area.

Take care!

Hi sungrapes, thx so much for yr contact !!!

we have been keeping a log since 1 mth ago !! haha.. like u mentioned we record her time of feed and amt she drinks.. but not the vomit part.. hopefully yr PD can help us with her exp !!! actually my baby is also on zantac and motilium now... been taking them ard 2 wks.. now she throws up less often, at most is a mouthful from her burp.. but she still drinks at most 80-90ml every 2.5 to 3 hrs... wt gain still very slow...

how was yr boy's milk intake when suffering from reflux?? wt gain slow?? yr boy was also given these 2 med and nothing else was done rite?

sorry for the many qns..my whole family has been worrying for more than a mth now..

hi edde,
since ur ger alrdy taking zantac and motilium y u still wan c another PD? Think she will also gv the same drugs.

After 2 wks do u think there's any improvement? Did she scream during feeding last time (b4 med) vs now? My boy took the drugs for abt 3wks b4 he was ok.

MILK INTAKE
At 3mths my boy was taking 4-5oz milk 5-6times aday. we try to gv him amt of milk in accordance with his wt.(wt of bb x 150ml/ no of feedings per day) we try to adjust the frequency of feedings and after trial and error we found tat he can take maximum 5oz per feed.

But every feeding is like gg for battle. he will scream his head off and we muz keep pace with him, find out his preference ie, gv him cool water to drink b4 his feed/ feed n jiggle him same time, smtimes we feed him in his bouncer. Watever tat rocks his boat basically.

My objective is to reach his intake requirement. This is make sure he does not LOSE wt, not necssary to inc his wt.

Wt gain slow is not as bad as losing wt.

Tat mth my boy gain abt 500g at his 4th mth chk up. i dun noe watz the average wt gain for bbs cos all bbs grow up diff but my PD was surprise and happy with this amt so i guess itz alrite.

After almost a mth of this reflux thing. i really dun care abt growth percentile. as long as my boy dun cry and scream during feeds i m very happy liao. One thg to note, besides this feeding problem , ur ger is ok? she's happy, responsive? if other times she's happy then u dun really hv to worry. this reflux thg will pass,tho i underst the stress and worry itz causing you.i've been thru it.

other thgs i've done is to chg the milk bottles and teats. i've done nuk,pigeon,aprica,avent,dr brown and teats of all sizes and texture. I also chg FM to friso and tried once similac (took a few scoops frm my neighbor).PD suggested soy, but i dun wan. also bought lactose free FM, but din gv. At the end of the day, i juz realised tat reflux is his system problem, not the FM or teats.

OTHERS
PD did urine test and found sm bacteria in his urine. He was given antibiotics for 1wk. but this i believe has got nothing to do with his reflux.PD say smtimes sorethroat might b caused by bact infection, but afer his antibiotics, his throat was still red.

PD oso gave me an oral aid,itz dropper form of thick liquid. itz for numbing his throat so his throat wun hurt wen he's swollowing. i gv to him only wen necc. i squeeze it onto his pacificer and let him suck so it goes to the back of his throat where he needs it the most.

Sorry for the long post. juz wan to make sure i dun leave anythg out tat cld help u.

Do let me noe if u hav any other queries.

Take care!

hi sonic,
hw's ur son?
Hope he's being a gd baby and drinking his milk.

jus nw my boy 11pm feed, he behav juz like hw u describe ur boy. His last feed was at 6pm so i imagine he'd be famish. But he jus started to coo and ahh and razz,blowing bubbles with his saliva with the teat in his mouth..

i hold the bottle til my arms ache..we gv up after feeding him on/off for 45mins.

i will ask my PD abt this next wk. well, at least he's not crying. really hav phobia feeding him man!

will post any info PD provides.

hi sungrapes,

poor mummy, still can't sleep at 2.08am after the feeding??? u are a SAHM? sorry as i have been busy at work for the week, didn't manage to log on till now.

i shared your story with my hubby, as our boy doesn't seem like having sorethroat, hence we decided to monitor ourself before going to your PD. he's still behaving the same during his feeding. he coos, laughs, plays, push away the bottle, do anything he could to avoid drinking the milk... he will only cry when he's very sleepy (probably he finds that we are disturbing his sleep). so we ruled out the possibility that he's having reflux acid problem.

his feeding pattern keep changing, we juz got to keep up with him. now his new pattern is -- wait till we hold the milk bottle for about 50mins (we still try to give him in between) then he will drink happily. as long as he's willing to drink after that, we don't mind sitting there for an hour and letting him drink that not-so-fresh milk (we are supposed to throw away the milk after an hour) really need a lots of patience.

he's 5 mo now, we tried to give him plain rice cereal with milk once a day. we feed him with spoon, he managed to take a bit, after that he will start blowing out the cereal and creating mess. he seems to be very happy doing that.. maybe he thought we are playing with him. after a few days trying, we stopped that. we have the same thinking like u, since the rice cereal doesn't help, might as well wean him when he's 6 mo.

he's now taking 4oz of milk per feed, max 5 times a day. this is not enuf at his age. but he's still gaining abt 500gm per month, PD also said no problem, so i juz got to convince myself tat it's fine too. his wgt is 7.3kg at 5 mo, i think it's ok.

we really pray that this phase will pass soon. another phase -- weaning is coming soon, i'm just worried that he wants neither milk nor solid. keep our fingers crossed!!

hi sungrapes, i really appreciate having u ard to help us... we are really helpless...

we wanted to consult another PD coz ours said my baby might have to go thru a probe test !!! so i wanna reconfirm if it is nec as like u said its invasive. we are so glad we went to yr PD today coz she reassured us that there is def no need to do that. in add, she said the dosage of med my PD prescribed is kinda low, so she up the dosage a bit, and changed zantac to omeprazole, guess dats a stronger med coz tho zantac helped a bit, it doesnt cure aft so long.

aft 2 wks, there is some improvement, at least she doesnt have projectile vomitting now... at most is a mouthful that comes with a burp. and dat happened less frequently than before. but her feed is still not picking up. at her age (2mth), she shld be drinking 100 to 150ml, but my baby is stuck at 70-80ml.. today even dropped to 50-60ml... other than this, she still screams and cries A LOT during day feed, night feed is ok. in fact she falls into deep sleep in the nite easily and wakes up ard 8+am the next day... nite feed is easier coz she will still be blur blur from her sleep...

my baby can only take 3.5oz max per feed but her feeds are more frequent at 2 to 3 hrs. we are more concerned with her total amt of intake for the day... hers is always ard 400+ to 500+ while for her age, it shld be ard 700+ to 1 ltr. she is weighing 4.38kg now... only a little wt gain since her birth at 3.8kg. but yr PD said her wt gain tho on a low side is still acceptable. yes, i am glad in a way coz given her situation she is not losing wt !!!

yes! every feeding is like gg for battle! each feed can last an hr !!! sigh... worse thing is her throat is already red and she still screams her head off during every feed.. sometimes i am so helpeless that i cry with her..

besides reflux, her previous urine tests show that she is allergic to cow's milk.. i tried giving her isomail, friso soy but she refused to drink. today yr PD rec Nestle Alfare, a special infant formula, but apparently she doesnt quite like it too.. she only drinks more if given friso comfort... sigh... now we dunno whether we shld give her backher friso comfort to maintain her milk intake or not... to cure reflux or milk allergy first... really dunno...

other than her feeding, she is happy, alert, and playful... she looks so normal !!! not even sickly !!!

i have also tried many bottle and many types and sizes of teats.. avent, nuk, pigeon, and even not-famous-brand one.. but all the same... in the end we stick to nuk coz their teats are shorter so wont "poke" the throat that much... we are even using latex teats to make her drinking easier..

sigh... have been trying ways and means to solve her prob.. but still during feed she will still cry dunno in pain, in frustration, in hunger or watever..also dunno how to help her... everyday is the same cycle repeating itself.. its def a test of endurance and patience...

thx so much for sharing sungrapes, i hope i din bore u with such a long post... really glad to find someone who has gone thru it to give me the confidence that everything WILL be over one day...

hey edde,
glad 2b of help..din noe tat ur ger allergic to cow's milk..wah, it mus be really tuf on u. I noe wat u mean wen u say u cry with her. I oso did the same, cry wen she cry, cant sleep at nite, always waiting for the next feeding in anxiety. juz feel so helpness and useless tat as his mother cannot provide comfort to him. I even cry infront of the PD, then she say between me and my bb, i look worse!Haha!

1 thg abt my PD is that she's very reassuring. She told me alot of bbs r like tat. But wen u hav to deal with 1, itz a different story.

I did abit of calculation, ur ger total milk intake shd be 660ml aday base on her wt 4.38kg. 3hourly feeding means 8 feeds aday..tat works out to abt 83ml per feed. (i round up).
U said she takes 70-80ml per feed. itz quite on track rite?

Ur ger EXACTLY like my boy last time..throat red and scream head off type.Aiyoh! Very Stressed man!!

BUT edde, pls bear a little bit mre..another wk of new med shd clear this problem. be patient ok!Juz tell urself it will pass, it will pass. Keep chanting to urself. Tatz wat i did and i pray alot lor! Keep nagging at God.

On my boy's 4th mth chkup, we had to gv a feed in the clinic.. braced ourselves for a big showdown. i tell my boy, ok u can scream ur head off here and let the PD hav a taste of wat im talking abt. But to my surprise, he guai guai finish his milk for the 1st time in many many wks. So i tot ok, he muz b distracted so he nv feel throat pain. But ever since tat wonderful day, he's bin drinking well,no mre screaming liao..So edde IT WILL GET BETTER. dun stress 2 much.

For the past 3 days, my boy got new pattern liao.
He's behaving like SONIC's boy. Dun wan drink milk and keep playing with the teat and try to 'talk', blow bubbles with saliva with teat in his mouth. Milk keep dribbling out till shirt is soak thru. We hold the bottle for 45mins then muz stop cos FM not fresh liao.

He will cry abit smtimes,dun noe if reflux can reoccur anot..or itz wind, colic, WHAT IS IT NOW!?!

Since 7am til 10.30pm, he took only 16oz. Last feed took 2oz only.

SONIC if u r reading this, Now how?? I read ur post and itz like written by me lor! He used to take 6oz per feed. But for past 3 days, itz like this:
7am 6oz
12pm 2oz
6pm 6oz
10.30pm 2oz

He doesnt seem hungry leh, my last time method of playing with him then feed again dun work anymre. even after anticolic drops and burping and massage with 'ruyu' oil still he wun drink. So really muz hold the bot til milk turn to cream liao then he will drink but not all the time. smtimes he juz keep the teat in his mouth and SIMPLY refuse to suck..ARRGH!

He's turning 5mths next tues(15th)..if this wkend he con't like this then on mon/tues will bring him see PD.

Like tat hw to start weaning? Milk oso dun wan drink hw to eat solid..

Edde,
friso comfort oso cow milk rite? ur ger allergic then hw can drink?

reflux vs milk allergy
i wld tackle the allergy 1st.
If her BODY system rejects the milk then reflux cure oso no point rite?

Wat abt SOY milk? did PD say anythg?

Take care k?

SONIC,
me temporary SAHM..hav til next yr apr b4 i choose to go back work anot..

sungrapes, my baby really rejects her new milk !! i believe coz it tastes as yucky as soy milk coz it smells so... she took only 20ml each time !! my mum (who came to help me on wkdays) and i syringe fed her but up tp 30ml she started to spit out the milk and refused to swallow. in the end we have no choice but to give her back her friso comfort and she can drink 60-70ml.. so obviously she prefers her "gu ni gao" (thick milk)...

thx for doing the calculations for us
happy.gif
so nice of u... we are now trying to feed her 60ml every 2 hrs... yesterday i think we overfed her (85ml) and she vomited (thru the nose also!) !!

today yr PD called us for a quick review over the phone and told us that according to the latest urine test result, there is no obvious evidence that she is still allergic to cows milk, so its ok to give her back her friso. but there is some bacteria found, so we have to start her on antibiotics now.

oh yes, u mentioned u wanna bring yr son to the PD??!! she will be on leave from tmr for abt 10 days! so u might wanna catch her today !!

aiyah accidentally pressed "post" before i finished... pai say...

sungrape, accrding to her wt, her intake shld be 660ml.. but my PD dun calculate this way leh.. he calculate by age. meaning at 2 mth, she shld be drinking 700+ to 1 litre... dats why i say my PD keeps giving us stress... sigh..

yr PD is really very assuring lor.. she keeps encouraging us and telling us that we are doing a gd job. also told us that the situation is not that bad... at least its more comforting to hear...

thx for sharing with me, despite u having a difficult time with yr boy now... hope its just a passing phase for him and everything will be fine very soon.

i am also a SAHM, also took unpaid leave till end of the yr, aft which like u i will decide whether to quit or extend my leave or go back to wk... btw u staying near east coast?? i am in punggol.

hi edde,
itz very stressful to stay at hm whole day face bb. u hv ur hb and mum ard to help u most days?

my hb got 2 work always not in s'pore. so itz me and the nanny evday. very sian. still cant adapt to this lifestyle. itz not like im a tai tai, can go do hair or face as and wen i feel like, throw the bb 2 the maid/nanny ..i cant do tat. i feel very obligated to spend time with bb, like im not being a gd mother if i dun take care of him. even i surf net i feel guilty. 2day really very bored and pull long face then my hb say y long face,can go out if i want 2. but i say itz not so simple. itz quite unfair tat my life turn unside down 360 degrees while my hb still behave like bachelor.

oh dear, im nagging. so sorry. 2day juz one of those PMS days. haha.!

Itz gd news ur ger not allergic to cow milk. yah, i think soy tasteless, got 1 type of smell. bbs not stupid, they oso noe hw to eat gd stuff.

my boy last time oso take friso comfort,but aft awhile dun wan liao. so we mix with enfalac. he drink afew days lagi reject this concoction..tat period was the worse wen his milk intake drop and he scream head off. juz let u noe 1st, incase u need to transit frm friso to normal FM wen her reflux goes off.

Another thg is antibiotics. my boy had diarrhoea wen he was on it. apparently this is normal cos i panicked and call PD up. She told me is like tat 1.

and after course of antibiotics he kena oral thrush which is oso common thg since med decrease his immune sys so mre septical to thrush.juz keep her bottles really clean esp teats. and her bot of water muz chg every time after she drink.

Y ur PD count according to age? if like tat dun hv 2 c PD, back of the FM tin oso got state amt to feed according to age wat.so weird leh!

Thanks for letting me noe PD on leave. so got to wait til she cm back then. my boy 2day still the same leh..im back to keeping his drinking record, monitor his intake liao. Try to hit his minimum intake per day. anythg mre is a bonus.

take care.
ps. me stay in east.

sonic,
was surfing and read in this website tat 1 of the symptoms of bb ready for weaning is tat they will take 4ever to drink their milk.

was juz wondering abt our bbs, same same pattern. mayb they ready liao??

hi sungrapes,

my PD told me the same thing and suggested me to start on single plain grain cereal when i told my PD that my boy doesn't drink milk. i tried tat for abt 2 weeks liao, he doesn't seem to like cereal too. all he wants is water!!

i have stopped giving him cereal, trying to give him more milk if possible. i will start giving him cereal again next month when he turns 6 mo. then again, more stressful time. maybe u can try, if your boy is ok with cereal, no harm giving him early. just try for few days and see how is it.

guess wat, my boy's pattern changed again since fri!!! now he wants to drink his milk quietly. when we finally manage to put the teat in his mouth and he's starting to suckle, nobody makes noise, otherwise he'll suddenly stop and search for the source of the sound. even i holding the bottle in front of him dare not make eye contact with him, just in case he stops drinking suddenly and coos -- thinking that we are playing with him... wat a playful/kaypoh boy. so whenever the little king is drinking milk, nobody moves!!

hi sonic,
haha..the way ur boy always chg his style! Really dun noe watz gg on inside tat little head.

2day my boy drinking pattern bk to normal..huge sigh of relief
kao_clap.gif

i got no choice but to on tv for him to distract him. realise he like to focuse on one point of thg, watever tat catches his fancy tat hr.

like tis evening he staring at my hb opp him reading newspaper..so i told my hb to stay put and keep flipping the papers even tho he finish reading liao..think he likes the rustling sound of paper flipping. cant afford to let him b distracted and move his head else the teat will slip out and....

Aiyoh..the thgs we can do jus to make them drink milk milk!!

cereal i tried 2x last wk. he like blur blur dun noe wat we trying to make him eat..think i will wait abit mre.

Hope our boys will improve their style over time.

take care!

sungrapes, thx for yr tips on the change on milk !! hopefully she wont reject her nan1 once her reflux is cured! yeah.. when we bought the antibiotics at KK, the pharmicist told us abt the side effect of diarrhoea, so he gave us some med for that to stand by.

so far, my mum comes to help me on the wkdays.. then wkends will be hubby lor... no prob on the venting!! its better to vent out here than to bottle it !!! no prob! we are here to lend a listening ear
happy.gif

well, my hubby is no better.. his job is very demanding. even before having baby, he worked long hrs during the wkdays (till wee hrs at home) and also has to wk from home in the wkend.. now, with baby, he tried to help me with her.. but still gotta work long hrs sometimes... can say the baby affected his job performance a lot.
sad.gif
sigh.. sometimes u cant have the pie and eat it... so its either the job, or the family, guess its hard to achieve work-life balance in spore. yr hubby also the workaholic type??

edde,
hope ur ger better 2day.
did PD gv u the oral aid? i found tat very useful to numb his pain.

my hb not workaholic, juz his job nature to travel alot.
Ur hb sure work long hrs, it is his own biz? there's no such thg as work-life bal in s'pore lor! this topic can make me grumble non stop..wen we compare us to other countries like US and australia. no wonder birth rate drop and govt still dun get it!

2day overheard on the news, gv birth now hospital charge by minutes, like 1min charge 53cents for labour...??wah piang! like car park like tat!OMG!

ur hb work harder, earn mre $$, then faster migrate liao!

sungrapes, yesterday my gal drank 600+ml in total !! so happy !! today so far 500+ also very gd liao !!! sigh.. any amt of improvement is enuf to make our day !!

PD din give me oral aid leh.. maybe her throat not that red bah.. dunno leh...

haha... this topic of hubby can also make me grumble a lot !!! hubby not doing own biz... dats the worst thing!! own biz still worth it... sigh.. i cant stand hubby travelling coz i am very dependent on him!! last yr he went to china for 2 wks and i joined him at my own exp!! dat time i was already 7 mths preg and its winter !! first time i took a plane on my own too... with baby in my tummy then.. haha... luckily he doesnt travel very often.. yet. haha...

charging by min is stupid lor !!! labour is stressful enuf !!!!! i cant imagine having to push and at the same time watching the second hand ticks by... haha...

migrate eh... haha... i dun wanna migrate lah... just dun need to work can liao.. haha.. my ambition is to be a homemaker... haha...

hi sungrapes, edde,

hapi to hear that your bb getting better and drinking more... hope mine will be like yours, getting back to track soon. me really sianz, don't know how.

my frens told me that not only weaning will makes bb drink less milk, when bb is teething soon, bb will tends to be more cranky and drinking less. i noticed that my boy keeps tickling his lower part of gum with his fingers, i wonder is that the reason why my boy still rejecting milk.. maybe u can watch out for this too.

hi sonic,
u mean ur boy still not drinking? tot as long as the whole world keep quiet, he will drink.??

my boy since 4mths alrdy start put evthg in his mouth. but cannot b so young got teeth wat. then read tat ard tis time bbs will explore thgs using their mouth.i buy teething rings for him lor, better then chewing on his own fingers.

weaning at 6mths is 2 replace sm milk with solids, so itz logical milk intake will decrease.
im reading this weaning bk by Gina Ford. she say 5mths weaning is for bb to taste taste, 6mth then is to replc milk. so wean at 6mth mre xiong cos muz intro diff types of food very fast.

edde,
gd for u! like a heavy load off ur shoulders rite? letz hope ur ger keep up the gd work!

i last time oso super dependent on hb. nw muz learn to do evthg myself. i went kinderclinic and saw those ang moh mummies can handle 1 toddler and 1 newborn, so steady hor..i go out with bb at least muz hav 3 person, me, nanny and hb!
kao_blush.gif

hey sungrape u have a nanny at home to look aft yr baby ?? i have been wanting to find one but all very ex leh.. how much u paying for yrs? is she stay in ??

hi edde,
i hav a stay in nanny.

Actually she was my CL frm Malacca, intro by my hb's nanny.

b'cos i very stupid with bbs and suffer frm PND during confinement, very bad case. she pity me and offered to cm back after CNY to help me.

i really CANNOT MAKE IT wen it comes to looking after bbs. aw, it was very bad experience for me.

my this nanny really very kind and patient. she's God's gift to me. my mum came up with this idea 1st and spoke to her. she say ok,if i still cant manage than can call her. abt the time my boy got reflux,she called me instead! so she cm back in march.

me not trying to preach, but i prayed very hard for help and this cld b God's arrangment for me cos the timing so rite, i juz cldnt find any other explanation.

i paying her very much less then market rate,less then 1k, cos she noe me no job. but she dun hav to cook or do hsework.juz help me jaga the bb. she zz with my boy and do nite feedings, am shift. i sleep late cos cannot adjust frm my job last time, so i take over pm shift and she gets to nap and relax.

me n hb try to indulge her. she loves to buy toto and 4D, go chinatown shop. we will buy her fave food and bring her out if she wans. i juz brought her do her hair cost me 70bucks. but i do it willingly cos i've come to regard her as my 'mum'.watever she wan we will buy for her.

hi edde,
hw ur ger? her reflux shd b much better rite?

sonic,
wat abt ur boy?

i started my boy on rice cereal past 3 days. tried to follow sm routine but always he will wake up 4am+ to feed. tot they suppose to zz longer till at least 6am+??

Aw, i gave up.
kao_sad.gif

since our boy so close in age, can u tell me watz ur routine like? do u follow very strict routine even for naps and playtime?

for me, i juz read his cues, rub eyes = wan 2 zz. probably every 2 hrs or so he will wan to nap. i personally find it quite hard to hav a routine. but it seems like every1 can do it!
kao_confused2.gif

hi sungrapes, sonic

sigh... my baby's drinking is back to 30ml/feed again... sometimes even 15ml only... her total for today is not even exceeding 300ml... sometimes i realy feel like giving up...

i stopped all her reflux med and surprisingly, she din really vomit. but she is down with a bad cough... think this cld be wat affecting her appetite..

dr vasanthi has referred us to a gastric specialist at NUH... am visiting her next wk..

hi edde,
sorry to hear ur bb not doing well..wat did dr Vas say? it is a gastric problem, not reflux?

<font color="0000ff">Pls dun give up</font>.

Babies r very resilient. U think of the worst tat can hap, then next day they will surprise u by being 'back to normal'.

Tackle one thng at a time. evthg will right itself over time.

take care.

Hi edde, hope your bb doing fine. What is the specialist going to check on your bb? I heard adult who has gastric problem going for check will be inserted a tube thru mouth or nostril, all the way down to stomach. Poor baby, don't tell me they are going to do that to young bb??

When bb is sick, their appetite definitely gonna be affected, that's the time we parent muz be even more patience than other days. Don't give up.

sungrapes, my boy is still doing the same. In fact he's getting more and more agitated during feeding time. He used to shake his head nonstop when the milk bottle touches his mouth. Now, he bends his head backward violently, I'm so worried that he's going to hurt his neck bone. Feeding while he's almost falling asleep used to be quite effective. But now is not anymore. He would scream and cried out loud, as if complaining we are disturbing his sleep. So we try to feed him while he's awake instead. Of cos, that requires more effort as he wants to play instead when he's awake, so we will try to feed him in pair, my mum tries to put the teat in his mouth, while I'm holding a toy to play with him. This sometimes work quite well. But the problem is most of the time I'm at work, my mum's both hands will be occupied with bottle and toy. She even commented that how she wishes that she has three hands.

I brought him to take his 3rd 5-in-1 jab last weekend, at the same time I asked the doctor to give him some vitamin drops to increase his appetite. However the doc refused as he said that my boy weight gained 0.6kg since last month is quite ok, his weight 7.8kg is fairly good at his age now. Then I was told by a fren that Yu Yan San has this "shi sen" powder to be mixed with milk, which is meant to increase appetite. I'm quite keen to try but subsequently decided not to as my boy has G6PD deficient, so it's better not to take these chinese herbs stuffs.

I'm giving my boy plain rice cereal once a day again. He doesn't seem to like it, only take a few mouthful then he will blow it out and mess up himself and the place. I hope he will eventually like it, and his milk!!

And... My boy's daily routine? We don't set routine for him, all depend on his mood. But normally he would nap for 1 hr after he's tired playing for 2-3 hrs during day time. Night time sleeping is abt 6-7 hrs, from 12-1am to 7am. From 7pm onwards he'll be awake till he goes to bed at midnight, as my hubby and I are home by then, he will cry for attention and wants us to play with him. It's also a tough task putting him to bed at night. He's too energetic.

Hang on there mummies.. Think this is what God wants us to experience, it's not easy being a mother but we will pass the test and eventually enjoy the fruits of our hardship
happy.gif

sonic,
gd wt gain for ur boy wor!
wat did PD say abt his refusal to drink? he arch his head, so probably is juz wind or colic. try some ridwind, can get frm pharmacy abt $5+. Smtimes my boy dun drink i will gv him sm.

At least ur boy zz til 7am, no mre nite feeding..tatz so gd. my boy still will wake up at 4-5+am to drink milk leh! even if we stretch his last feed to 12.30am, he still wake up..
kao_sad.gif

he had his 1st taste of sweet potato yesterday. he likes it! keep smacking his lips. i think he is juz so SICK of milk evday!

2mr will let him try pears.

wat brand of rice cereal u using?

Hi sungrapes,

The PD said it might be due to my boy is ready for solid.. That's what he has been saying when my boy having this problem since he's 3mos. But he was so young, I didn't want to give him solid until recently.

I don't think my boy shaking his head is due to wind, cos he only does that when we are trying to feed him when he's about to fall asleep. Anyway, no harm giving him a try and see how. So everytime after u give your boy ridwind, he will start drinking his milk??

Since your boy is waking up early, to make him sleep longer, maybe u can consider to let him have the sweet potato as supplement after the last feed? That will make his little stomach full and won't get hungry so soon.
happy.gif

I gave my boy Heinz plain rice cereal that is suitable for baby from 4m++. He doesn't seem like it, probably too plain for him. Now I'm giving him Healthy Times organic brown rice cereal, he doesn't seem to like it too. But I will continue to try.

Wow, so early you are giving your boy sweet potato huh? How to you make and serve the potato? I wanna to try it too.

Hope your boy like the pears too!
happy.gif

hi sonic, yeah my PD ever suggest doing that tobaby but we refused!! coz its very invasive !! and the tube must stay there for 24 hr observation !! no way i am going to let my baby go thru that !!!

thx sungrape for yr encouragement, so nice of u
happy.gif
we have changed back the FM to NAN1 coz this is the only FM so far that wks well for her... She drank very little when on Neosure... and guess wat !??? she drank 60ml of NAN1 last nite and 70ml just now !! so happy !!! tho with 20min of coaxing lah but still better than she doesnt drink.. it has been so long since she bottoms up !!! wish me luck that this will persist!! then we dun need to bring her to see anymore specialists for more tests and scans liao
happy.gif

Yeah, agree with u edde. If your bb is still willing to drink, and she's putting on accordingly or plus minus.. Guess it's alright, the only thing is we just need to be more patience in order to see a better result. Think the doc is crazy. Even we adult can't stand tat kind of pain, let alone the young baby!! Don't worry, our babies are going to be milk lovers!!
happy.gif

hi twinkle,

my boi paeds better dun anyhow chg milk unless he got allergy prob. If not bb nid time to get use to new taste. You can switch him to Promil gold after 6 months.

hi twinkle,

my boi paeds say better dun anyhow chg milk unless he got allergy prob. If not bb nid time to get use to new taste. You can switch him to Promil gold after 6 months.

hi sonic,
Aiyoh, alot of bbs dun like milk as young as 2mths old. cannot be dun drink milk then ready for solids rite? Cant imagine 2mths eat solids leh! Smhw, we have to persist till latest 4mths old.

Ur boy's wt very gd liao, can start serious weaning. Me oso using Heinz rice cereal. but i mix with water cos i wan my boy start with as bland taste as possible so he will be mre receptive to other food flavours next time.

I do think our boys r 'scolding' us for waking them up at nite to feed. my boy last feed suppose to b 10.30pm, but now i dun wake him up, juz let him zz, wen he hungry he will naturally wake up, ard 11-12am.

Now my thinking is if he wan drink then better dun deprive him,tatz y middle of nite wake up oso will let him feed lor!

<font color="ff0000">Ridwind</font>
9 outof 10 times he will drink his milk wen i gv him ridwind b4 feeds. i think he wan to get rid of the med by taking sm water. so i put the milk bot in his mouth immediately and he will start to suck to wash med down. Abit like conning him lor. but no choice leh!

<font color="0000ff">sweet potato</font>
juz steam. or boil in previously boiled water.
Peel and puree it using a seive or blender. add water accordingly to get the consistency u wan.

u can freeze them in those ice cube trays, then transfer them to clean container. can keep up2 1mth in freezer.

i gv my boy 1 tbsp.
u can thaw the frozen cubes in chiller compartment overnite,reheat in microwave n cool b4 serving.

we did the pears 2day. he likes it 2! Finished in 5mins..

Hope ur boy will like it 2!
kao_clap.gif

hey edde,

glad ur ger drinking fine now. I hope she'll keep up the gd work!
kao_cheers.gif

the gastric specialist u seeing next wk, is he gg do the tube thg?

i once did an endoscope thru my nose down to my throat. It didnt really hurt.Juz super uncomfortable.like epidural.

hi sungrapes, we are postponing our visit to the NUH specialist coz baby's reflux seems ok liao... no more vomitting even without med now.. but her milk intake is still inconsistent sigh.. no wt gain i suppose... i really dun dare to weigh her..

even if i bring her to the doc we wld not let her do the tube thingy lor... too invasive !!

Back