3year old continuous cough

pooppy

Hi Mummies

I have a 3 year old who is suffering from cough very frequent - as if she has never recovered!

Any advice on doc, what to eat to strengthen her immune system pls?

Thanks!!

Continuous coughing is no good, may lead to brochitis, asthma. My son used to go S'pore Baby & Child coz GP medicine can't cure.

To strengthen immunity, you can boil cordyceps once a week. Or you can see Chinese physician Ma Kuang or Yu Ren Sheng. The former is cheaper.

Hi Caroline3sg

Thanks for your advice! sorry, another question. could my gal drink cordyceps even when coughing?

Thanks!

Hi poppy pop,
Is her cough dry or chesty? My 6yr old son has been coughing for more than 2 months, his is dry cough. Brought him to Dr Ngiam recently and was told that it could be either mild asthma or just habit coughing. After 5 days of intensive treatment for asthma, he wasn't better, so Dr Ngiam sent him for x-ray and confirmed that he has habit coughing. No medicine needed for his case, just have to let him stop coughing on his own.

It will be good to find out the reason behind your girl's frequent cough.

Poppy Pop
Cordyceps is not to cure coughing. It is to protect or strengthen the lungs. So give cordyceps after recover from coughing.

Poppy Pop
Cordyceps is not to cure coughing. It is to protect or strengthen the lungs. So give cordyceps after recover from coughing.

hi kind mummies

after a few mths of continous cough (always started with dry cough then flamy cough), yesterday brought my gal to c a doc in singapore baby & child clinic. it was diagnosed as early signs of asthma! d thing i was frightened of - came!

was asthma contagious?? i'm so grieved! cos i can hear feedback that say "c! you claimed breastmilk was good for a baby, yet c - your child can still have asthma!" i feel its like a tight slap across my face ;-(

i gave her EBM for about 7 months ...sob sob

yes, nyssa won, its called dong chong chao. it can be bought from any medical shop.

caroline3sg, looks like i wouldn't be able to give her cordceps yet ;-(

Hi Poppy Pop
My older boy used to cough a lot too when he was about 5 years old. As the GPs' medicine was not effective, we sent him to a PD and he was put on Zyrtec and nasal spray for about 9 months before he got well.
Now, we watch his diet closely and avoid giving him chocolate which he is allergic to when taken too much. I quit to be a SAHM when he was 6 years old and we eat at home more frequently. He has also been taking swimming lessons since then and I believe that has helped somehow. Like caroline, we also gave him cordyceps occasionally. Now, he is 7 years old and has much more immunity against flu and cough.

Poppy Pop,

My son is 3 yrs old, he has cough quite often since started pre-nursery. Within a short period of 2 mths, he has been ill for 4 times, and mainly cough and flu.

I brought him to see Dr Keoy and Dr Ang (if Dr Keoy is not in the clinic) at Paediatric Centre. Usually my son is given antibiotic. The most recent visit, he is given Singular to strengthen the lungs. When he is hving phlegmy cough, he will be given Flumicil to clear the phlegm together with his cough\phlegm medicine.

Btw, i think breast milk has no relation with their cough. Even though breastfed babies r supposed to hv a stronger immune system, i think once they started school, it is really unavoidable to fall sick. Esp the younger ones 2-4 yrs old, and if they r attending nursery or child care ctr, they hold each other's hands, they sneeze and cough without covering their mouth, they touched the same toys in sch etc so its really hard to avoid.

JessChan

When did you start swimming lessons for your boy? was it when he recovers from cough? my gal never seems to stop coughing ;-( its always either more or less... so heartpain!

Hi jade

my gal has also been given singular this time round and she's still having it hahah i didn't even know is for strengthening the lungs.

cos of her weak immune stystem, it seems that is not wise to put her in childcare.

what do your think? any advice pls?

thanks!

Poppy

He started having lessons after his condition improved and was put on preventive medicine - Zyrtec and nasal spray. We try not to cancel his swimming lesson unless he has a fever/bad flu or there is heavy rain because else he would hardly have any lesson in a month.

Hi JessChan

Your child takes Zyttec for a long period of time? meaning everyday also take? or only when coughing? cos you say preventive medicine. meaning to say to prevent coughing?

sorry for being long winded ;-(

thanks!

hi poppy pop,
chanced upon this thread.. my ger coming 3 years old soon.. also coughing as if never recovered..
a lot of flams and there was once a period that she will practically vomit after milk every morning due to her cough... been to docs many many times since july till now sept... brought her to kinderclinic also doesnt seem to improve.. singular also doesnt seems to help.. really at a loss too...

Hi Poppy pop and elmobbger,
My son who is turning 3 also cough very frequent a year ago. Until my mum heard my neighbour say to drink tiger milk will be good. So my mum went to buy and boil this tiger milk for my boy when he start to cough with phlegm. It seems to work. Go to those chinese medical hall and ask them for "Lao Hor Ne" (Tiger milk) then buy some lean meat and stew with it. Its like soup then let your child drink. I also let my boy drink flumicil which can be bought from pharmacy. Its in sachet and powdery, just mix with 20ml of water and drink twice a day.

Hi Poppy Pop & Elmobbger

my gal also like yr ger always cough in the morning and vomit after milk. I hv see few docs either give her cough/phlegm medicine or sometime with antibiotic if the phlegm turned green. Recovered few days and back again.So now i change it to see Chinese doc at "Eu Yan Sang". Now much better, you might want to give it a try.
FYI, My gal is seeing Dr He at South Bridge Rd Branch. The medicine is in a packet of powder just add warm water and drink. Dr He told me not to give too much sweet to my gal due sweet may increase phlegm in their lungs. So whenever she want to buy sweet i always say no.

hi michelle, really ah?? so after drinking that, yr son getting better?

hi star, yr girl vomit in the morning too? in fact middle of night my ger will wake up to cough and vomit and times too
sad.gif

as for sweets, chocolates, titbits, ice-cream.. my ger is not keen in any of them at all.. so that's not an issue to me... hehehe.. she will want to buy all these and offer to all her friends and classmates.. keeping NONE for herself... phew!
happy.gif

elmobbger, the tiger milk helps my son and its not expensive like dong chong chow. Drink it when child is having cough. Think the medical hall people also know.

I know mummy feel sad when see child cough and cough. So will try and ask around to see wat can help. Me too was very sad when my son cough and have running nose every month. Condition was bad and admitted 3times into hospital for bronchitis.

Oh ya i receive an email about vicks, its says if child cough at night and cannot sleep well. Apply vicks on the foot and put on socks it will help..i try also and it seem to work.

Also since child is always coughing, they are weak so put on socks for them when they sleep at night. My son is on socks everynight he sleeps i think his health is alot better liao. Don't get cough and running nose tat frequent probably few months once. But as he attend school so to fall sick is unavoidable.

Hopefully all these can help your child.

forgot to mention my son also like your girl cough in early morning and always vomit after milk. Cough in early morning its due cold, coz air in the early morning is cold. If you on the aircon try to off it about 5am and if its fan then don blow directly onto the child.

michelle, thanks! will let my ger try the tiger milk
happy.gif
this month start we already sleep without aircon... only on fan.. bery hot.. wahaha.. but no choice...

Hi Poppy
We gave him Zyrtec and the nasal spray once every night even when he had no cough for about 6 to 9 months. Zyrtec is for allergies and nasal spray is for postnasal drip.

I think if your kid has phlemy cough, especially at night and sneezing when there is a change in temperature like coming out of aircon room, she might have allergic rhinitis. My kids' PD will usually prescribe oral ventolin to open up the airways but if the cough persists, she will give respiratory ventolin using the nebuliser. (Not sure if I have all the spelling right.)
From what I understand, some kids will outgrow this condition when they are about 6 - 7 years old.

Hi Jess
I've a 4yo boy and recently he has been coughing non-stop esp when he wakes up from his sleep. He was given Zrytec and nasal spray and it does help. But when we stopped the medi, the cough comes back.

Do you give him medi and nose spray even though he does not have cough?

Hi Gisele
Yes, we gave administer the medicine for about 6 to 9 months before we stopped. But whenever we see signs of the allergies, we put him back on medicine again.

Hi Jess
Thanks for your reply.

Did the PD suspected your kids having mild asthma? My kid's PD did and I find it hard to believe that a chronic cough with no other symptom is linked to asthma. Anyway we will give you Zytrec and nasal spray for a month then review his condition again.

Hi Jess/Gisele,
May i know what nasal spray your PD prescribed? My girl has similar problem, and PD prescribed the Steroid stuff to inhale. I'm not comfortable with it, but she has been coughing on and off for very long, sigh.

Hi Gisele
Well, the PD said that if we allow the cough to persist, it might develop into asthma if left untreated.
Previously, I also didn't believe that it is necessary to send my kids to the PD for cough. However, I realised that unless it is common cough, sending to the GP doesn't help and I also heard of many similar cases from other parents. I suppose our air quality has worsened and children are kept in indoor places too often. Maybe that's why children fall ill so easily....

Doremifa
PD subscribe nasonex nasal spray, once a day.

Jess
You may be right. I'm staying at Jurong and the air quality here is really bad.

Gisele

My gal's pd also said she has mild asthma!

but a few visits to the chinese sinseh, her cough improved! miracle! hahah.. cos she's been on western medicine for a looooooong time and it hasn't really help ;-)

Gisele

My gal's pd also said she has mild asthma!

but a few visits to the chinese sinseh, her cough improved! miracle! hahah.. cos she's been on western medicine for a looooooong time and it hasn't really help ;-)

Hi Mummies

My girl for the past 2weeks have been having dry cough only in the morning and night. In the day no coughing. This is the 1st time she's like that after she recovered from flu. Give her Zyrtec every night as PD prescribed it. But not much help.

Poppy
I brought him to EYS but he refused to take chinese medicine. Now we brought him to chinese 'tui na' every week, hopefully it will helps.

Ann
I gave my son Zyrtec twice a day.

Gisele and Ann

Just to share, Zyrtec is medication for runny or blocked nose, not for cough. And it should be given only once a day, not twice!

I give my boy (2 and half years) 5ml Procodin before he goes to sleep. Helps with cough.

Gisele,

How many drops is your boy taking? my girl is taking 20drops. My mum just brought her to the PD again but PD prescribed almost the same medicine..Zyrtec,Coughing medicine,Singular..PD said is due to allergies.

I've never try chinese medicine before for my girl. How does it taste like? Is chinese medicine and 'tui na' gd for the cough?

Cowandchick,

yah i also thinks that the zyrtec is for running nose but donno why PD prescribed it. Procodin is cough syrup? Izzit the black type?

Cowandcick
My boy was given Zyrtec 5ml twice a day. At nite before he sleeps, we gave him Bambec and it helps. He is now 4yo fyi.

Ann
The chinese medi is in a powdered form mixed with water. Looks like cray to me..abit yucky. So now he only go for 'Tui Na' near Changi. If you want, will give you the contacts tomorrow.

Doremifa
The nasal spray is flixonase. I was also quite uncomfortable to give my son nasal spray initially so I consulted two other doctors and they said it is quite safe and the dosage is very low. I heard from a radio program that steriod nasal spray is the most common prescription for allergic rhinits. It is useful for postnasal drip which irritates the throat.

I think Zyrtec is for allergies. PD only prescribed it once a day to be given at night before sleep. But giving Zyrtec alone is not effective if the kid is already coughing quite badly. Other cough and phlegm medicine are needed to stop the symptoms first. Probably ventolin to open up airways as well.

I think Chinese medicine may be more helpful if given after the cough stops. It is probably more effective for strengthening the immunity system. The other concern is Chinese medicine are more difficult to administer for kids becos they look and taste horrible....

Gisele,
Thanks for reply.

JessChan,
Thanks for sharing.
PD prescribed the same thing for my girl, and told me 1 puff twice a day is only about 100mcg, which is very low and will not have any side effect.
Same to you, I have seen a few PDs, but the cough/phlegm medicines just didn't work for my girl and she has been coughing from Dec last year for about half a year before i saw this PD, and the spray in fact stopped her cough after sometime.
PD prescribed some allergy medicine(not Zyrtec) initially, but it didn't work after 2mths+, thus the nasal spray.
My girl is on the spray for about 3mths, and i will bring her for a review soon, hopefully can stop the spray. But PD said once her cough is back, she needs to be on it again.
I agree with you TMC is more for maintenance, can't really treat the cough.

Do you mind to share where your PD from? I found it's more convincible if we see different PDs. Mine is from Kinder clinic @Mt. Alvernia.

Hi,
My gal also suffers from cough recently that didn't seem to stop. To our surprise, it was due to the nose.. her nose is sensitive and the lining was already inflammed for a while. The secretions from the nose has caused her to cough when she swallows. She was put on zytec, ventolin (to allow opening of the airways when sleeping) and nasal spray. The spray was 2x day n night initially to curb the swelling in the nose for a week Then finally, reduced to once, to be contniued for a month. She recovered! No coughs! then last week, it was like that again. We were sure that she did not have cold drinks, sweets but the same kind of dry cough came back. I quickly put her on the same regime, the cough went away. For my case, think it was really a nose problem....

hi mummies

i'm here to share the story again...

after a long long time fighting with my gal's cough, sensitive nose/airways, running nose, we have recently brought her to see chinese physician.

she is finally getting better!! and her appetite has also increased to much of our delight ;-)

finally getting rid of the coughing sound from her. whew! it was getting on my nerves!!

hi poppy

Glad that your girl is recovery well. I've brought my son to chinese sinseh massage and he is also well now. He does not have mild asthma but allergy rhinitis instead.

This is such a great christmas gift for us isnt it
happy.gif

hi gisele

yes! fully agree ;-) its such a gift to see them healthy!

you brought your child to the yuguo for massage? i'm thinking of trying that also (something for maintenance) but its too far for me in kembawang. if there's one good one in north area, i don't mind trying.

hi poppy

yes we brough him to yugyo for massage. we stayed in the west and travelled all the way to east. but we went twice only since he was well after 2 massages.

wah gisele! only twice and he recovered?! he sound so good ;-) making me think twice now..

possible to pass me the contact? thinking of bringing my infant there hehe

thanks!

poppy, here's the contact. dont go on weekends otherwise you must be prepared to be there for 2-3 hours. the crowd is horrid!

Yu Guo - tel: 6447 4761
8B Jalan Masjid #01-04 Kingston Place

hi gisele

tks for sharing! i'm interested to bring my boy too cos he is down with cough for almost 2 weeks already.. western medicine doesn't work on him and now on chinese medicine. but like to try tui na on him too..

how much and how long per session? what's the operating hours? opening in the evening? sorry for so many questions cos tried the numbers above but no one pick up..thanks!

Hi Mothers, my boy (now 3 yo) used to have night coughs and it got bad in dec 2006 when he develops fever, recovered, and fever again...this followed by loss of apetite. That's when we actually brought him to KK A&E. He was diagnosed with pneumonia! I didn't realise that he came to such a stage from something very common...but as a pharmacist, I know what medicines can do, they only treat symptoms and my son's condition will never improve. He will still have coughs due to his allergies.So i told myself that I must look for alternative. and with God's grace my pharmacist friend introduce me to Cordymax..ITs cordyceps in a caps.

I gave him half cap (that time)a day for about a month. Now, I'm really really grateful to God for introducing me to this. He can actually sleep thro the night . Now he is not taking any cordymax..I gave him fish oil and multivits for general well being.. after that episode, I really feel that nothing can beat health. I'm realy grateful. Now, I'm taking Cordymax for stamina ...
happy.gif

I know some have been boiling cordyceps but there's a simpler way to take and most importantly, its active ingredient is in the caps. Not sure if whatever we boil will means an effective dose.

hi mummies,
not sure if u all believe this or if its mere coincidence... dun give chicken, egg and fish when your little one is having cough. it seem to help speed up recovery process. my girl was down very badly once. the moment she coughed, she would vomit everything including medicine. i didn't give her any of the above and she fully recovered within a wk. i wasn't convinced then esp fish. but decided to give it a try since she was not any better after consulting 2 doc. perhaps mummies can share similar experience?

hi thots

ya, i agree.. no fish can speed up recovery

mummies, my gal coughing again!! sign...........

Hi there, just like to check with mummies giving Zytec to your kids... do your kids sleep well in the night (i.e. when they are not coughing or phlegmy)?

Back