3 legal questions to ask, Thanks in advance

1. Whether a bank has to show the official document to customer if the bank wants to close or freeze a customer's savings bank account?

2. On the premise of no official written documents from police or relevant law enforcement departments, whether a bank has the right to close a customer's bank account?

3. Do the police have the right to ask me to return money back to an unknown person without any court order or official document?

Of all the cases I know in Singapore, the bank could only freeze a savings account upon a court order. The police has no jurisdiction - it could investigate and get the prosecutor to get a court order. But so far that has been the case. Court order.

On your Q3, the police has no right to ask you to return money. If indeed you owe someone money, it is a civil proceeding (doesn't involve police), that person would have to file a writ of summon to sue you to get back the money; usually starts with a letter from lawyer - letter of demand. Like I lend my friend $50k. If she refuse to return, I would have to get a lawyer to write a letter of demand to her (my own cost), failing which, I would need to start a legal proceeding against her. But no, police wouldn't get involved.

Of all the cases I know in Singapore, the bank could only freeze a savings account upon a court order. The police has no jurisdiction - it could investigate and get the prosecutor to get a court order. But so far that has been the case. Court order.

On your Q3, the police has no right to ask you to return money. If indeed you owe someone money, it is a civil proceeding (doesn't involve police), that person would have to file a writ of summon to sue you to get back the money; usually starts with a letter from lawyer - letter of demand. Like I lend my friend $50k. If she refuse to return, I would have to get a lawyer to write a letter of demand to her (my own cost), failing which, I would need to start a legal proceeding against her. But no, police wouldn't get involved.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Thanks very much for your help and useful advice.

I am in a bit trouble now, and I don't know how to do. I need some legal help.

My questions:
1. Whether the bank has the right to close or freeze a customer's bank account in the condition of no legal documents from Singapore law enforcement departments?

2. Banks in accordance with the requirements of the police to freeze customer deposits, whether the related bank needs to show the police written documents to the customer?

3. The police have the right to ask me to make restitution,if the police have enough evidence to prove that the money belongs to the accuser,the police can give me a copy of the enforcement to take this money directly from my bank.But now a few unknown persons called me claiming the ownership of the money, and they disturbed and threatened me,I don't know who this money really belongs to, and I don’t think I am responsible to send the unknown money to the so-called unknown accuser.I hope the police can find out the real owner, in the case of a court order,I will be very happy to return the money,I have no intention to get one cent of the money.If I don't transfer the unknown source money to the so-called unknown accuser, whether the police can prove that I am guilty? What will be the consequences?

Last edited:
I don't really understand you. But if you are in a situation where unknown monies had been deposited into your account, you should goto the police and file a report immediately. You also file the report on the threats received. Show them the SMS and calls history, and records calls if possible.

It is illegal to use money that doesn't belong to you. I.e. if the person in front of you goto ATM and withdraw $1000 but forgot to take. You stand behind and you take it. It is called stealing. If someone (bank or individual) files a report, police will investigate and ask you to return, or charge you for theft. Similarly for monies deposited into bank account. Recently there was a Malaysian hauled to Australian court because she used money that was wrongly deposited into her Australian bank account.

The police has many ways to trace where money is coming from, who deposited the money, etc. There is always a trail if someone wants to check. i.e. 1MDB.

Again, the POLICE does not freeze bank accounts. It is with a court order. If it is from another country filing a report, they would still need to go through local courts to get a court order. Best you file a police report now.

I don't really understand you. But if you are in a situation where unknown monies had been deposited into your account, you should goto the police and file a report immediately. You also file the report on the threats received. Show them the SMS and calls history, and records calls if possible.

It is illegal to use money that doesn't belong to you. I.e. if the person in front of you goto ATM and withdraw $1000 but forgot to take. You stand behind and you take it. It is called stealing. If someone (bank or individual) files a report, police will investigate and ask you to return, or charge you for theft. Similarly for monies deposited into bank account. Recently there was a Malaysian hauled to Australian court because she used money that was wrongly deposited into her Australian bank account.

The police has many ways to trace where money is coming from, who deposited the money, etc. There is always a trail if someone wants to check. i.e. 1MDB.

Again, the POLICE does not freeze bank accounts. It is with a court order. If it is from another country filing a report, they would still need to go through local courts to get a court order. Best you file a police report now.

Thanks very much for your reply. I already filed a report last year for this unknown source money. but there is no news at all for the investigation.

Seems like TS has dealings with ah long. Is a common tactic for them to offer loans and just deposit $ into the account once they hv the acct number. After that they will harass for the $ back with substantial interest. Sometimes it could be a bf or relative who use the bank acct to get loans.

This type police case not so effective since the harasser details are unknown. Best to use social media like stomp to draw attention to their practices. Or maybe the police case was wrongly classified? Can file a new report under ah long classification. Will be handled by a different dept.

Thanks for your reply. The unknown person deposit cash into my account without my permission, and I suspect someone is trying to set me up...... I want to find out the criminal behind

You just file a police report. And then you ask the police. Unclaimed monies for how many years then become yours?

Also, maybe open a new bank account with another bank. separate fresh money with tainted account.

You just file a police report. And then you ask the police. Unclaimed monies for how many years then become yours?

Also, maybe open a new bank account with another bank. separate fresh money with tainted account.

Thanks very much for your reply. I have no intention to get even one cent from the beginning, I just want to find out the truth behind. I feel that I was treated unfairly during the case, and my shop closed down during the period due to short of money(personal money frozen), and I provided a lot evidence which all point to a criminal, but no investigation made against the criminal.

Back