(2014/08) August 2014

Hi mummies, any of you eating alot of ginger vinegar? Does this worsen jaundice in breastfed baby?

Also, do you all actually stay at home for the whole month of confinement other than medical checkup at gynae or PD?

Yeah other then gynae n PD..im home.
Counting down another 1 week to end my confinement.

Hey mommies, this morning I had a unpleased morning on my 3rd week of confinement as usual I woke up brush teeth and wash my face..

My mil de part time china cleaner looked at me with a shocking face asked me: I brushed teeth and washed face? I was like YA, what's wrong? Im using warm water not cold. She said china ppl n that time she only rinse mouth..

Then my mil added said I showered everyday.. and what's wrong? I showered with herbal and real hot temperature leh..

The china cleaner said: my health good or not gona see how this 1 mth confinement.

In my heart..1 mth no brush teeth all decay lor.. 1 mth no shower whole body will stink worst than shit and CB will rot.

Lol.. tell her this is Singapore! And we are not living in caves anymore. How can don't brush teeth and shower. .

I official end my confinement! CL leaving on Sunday and probably I am gonna be so freak out from Monday onwards.

Hi mummies, any of you eating alot of ginger vinegar? Does this worsen jaundice in breastfed baby?

Also, do you all actually stay at home for the whole month of confinement other than medical checkup at gynae or PD?
My PD advises against taking ginger as he say might worsen the jaundice in babies. So i din really take much ginger.

For me, i basically stay at home for confinement. My only breath of fresh air is when bb go for medical.

Hi I am trying my best to stay home for the whole month of confinement unless I need to bring baby to the gynae. I have experienced the benefits of a good confinement with my first kid so I want to have a proper second confinement.

Hey mommies, this morning I had a unpleased morning on my 3rd week of confinement as usual I woke up brush teeth and wash my face..

My mil de part time china cleaner looked at me with a shocking face asked me: I brushed teeth and washed face? I was like YA, what's wrong? Im using warm water not cold. She said china ppl n that time she only rinse mouth..

Then my mil added said I showered everyday.. and what's wrong? I showered with herbal and real hot temperature leh..

The china cleaner said: my health good or not gona see how this 1 mth confinement.

In my heart..1 mth no brush teeth all decay lor.. 1 mth no shower whole body will stink worst than shit and CB will rot.

Yeah must bathe everyday in this hot weather .aiyo they think it is winter in China ??

I finally gave birth! Finally made it as an Aug mum. As a 1st time mum, I din know my water bag burst.... Was already 5cm dilated when I admit to hospital. The anesthesiologist came swiftly & everything was smooth after that.
I'm totally new to breast feeding now & my baby is not interested in bm coz I dun have bm now anyway. He seem satisfied with fm today.
Oh ya, can I ask did anyone bath in hospital? Becoz I'm thinking I'm not suppose to bath when confinement start at home so should I bath in hospital before confinement? I only hear cannot bath during confinement but I feel dirty after giving birth.

who else haven pop? Jiayou mummies!

me!! still waiting ... haa ... monday doing ctg at gynae's ... dunno will drag till sept or not as my edd 31 aug ... :confused:

I finally gave birth! Finally made it as an Aug mum. As a 1st time mum, I din know my water bag burst.... Was already 5cm dilated when I admit to hospital. The anesthesiologist came swiftly & everything was smooth after that.
I'm totally new to breast feeding now & my baby is not interested in bm coz I dun have bm now anyway. He seem satisfied with fm today.
Oh ya, can I ask did anyone bath in hospital? Becoz I'm thinking I'm not suppose to bath when confinement start at home so should I bath in hospital before confinement? I only hear cannot bath during confinement but I feel dirty after giving birth.

Congrats! Was it a csect or natural? Anyway your confinement started immediately after delivery. Bathe or not really up to you. I haven been bathing or washing my hair since day 1 (but I use herbal water to wipe my body and use powder shampoo). 2 more weeks to go :p

me! im 2 days overdue already and still no signs besides mucus plug dislodging yesterday.. if still nth by Tues, I gotta be induced.. it's supposedly more painful right?

Besides the 1 time post delivery check up at gynae and pd, I stayed at home all the time for confinement. Less than 2 more weeks to go for me. Actually I quite enjoy confinement mainly because I have a very good confinement nanny who takes very good care of baby and cook really tasty food for me. I think I will be sooooooo lost when she leaves :( anyway I also bathe everyday with the herbal water. I wash my hair once every 3 days. My CL say too much.. Shld only wash once in 2 weeks but I cannot tahan so she just let me. No brush teeth I think is damn ridiculous.

I didn't bath at hospital. Back home can only wipe body with herbal water for 1st wk. Then able to bath with hot herbal water everyday. I can only water hair after 2 wks, then 1 wk once as advised by CL. Can't wait for my 2nd hair wash tml.

me!! still waiting ... haa ... monday doing ctg at gynae's ... dunno will drag till sept or not as my edd 31 aug ... :confused:

I delivered the day after I meet my gynea. I think if u are very close to ur EDD, ur gynea will chk for dilation and that kinda stimulate birth.

Congrats! Was it a csect or natural? Anyway your confinement started immediately after delivery. Bathe or not really up to you. I haven been bathing or washing my hair since day 1 (but I use herbal water to wipe my body and use powder shampoo). 2 more weeks to go :p

It's natural but I sweated a lot after my delivery plus got blood stain so I feel dirty. I think those who can tahan 1mth not bathing is really superb!

Congrats to those mummies who are ending or ended their confinement!
I am among those who are just waiting. My EDD is this coming Tues but gynae checked last Thur and still not dilated.
If by Tues still not dilated then gynae said will have to induce me which I really dun wan...

What diapers are you ladies using? I'm still using hospital's Huggies new born. But he's got a bit of a rash now. I wanna change to merries (after reading all the good reviews), but wondering if its a waste of money to use merries both in the day and at night.

What are you ladies using?

Jia you @J.Lau!!!

can share how the nasal spray looks like?

my boy is having blocked nose too. thinking of bringing him to GP later as PD & polyclinic all closed liao.
U can get saline or idline (don't know if I got the spelling correct) saline to clear , the other is to decongest nose, can get them at pharmacy n u can check with the pharmacist for any doubts.

Lol.. tell her this is Singapore! And we are not living in caves anymore. How can don't brush teeth and shower. .

I official end my confinement! CL leaving on Sunday and probably I am gonna be so freak out from Monday onwards.

Mine leaving next Saturday and I cant imagine how my life will gona be...

Its really hard having confinement at in laws house.
Baby whining said hungry must feed dont see the timing!
Asked them dont carry keep carrying.. whereas midnight all sleep like log nobody helped except confinement lady.

What diapers are you ladies using? I'm still using hospital's Huggies new born. But he's got a bit of a rash now. I wanna change to merries (after reading all the good reviews), but wondering if its a waste of money to use merries both in the day and at night.

Jia you @J.Lau!!!

Day time I use 尿布..
Night then use diaper cos my mom instructed during the 1mth confinement let baby use 尿布 for baby lower body to breathe

Hi mummies, I'm due in early September, but suddenly had a bit of bloody show this afternoon. Having some tightening of tummy, but no pain. What are contractions supposed to feel like?
Maybe I'm going to become August Mummy.

Last edited:
My CL and my mother v strict with me also but i ignore them. how can dnt brush teeth?but i shower every 2 days cause i stay in air con room all day.
I still have 2 'more weeks to go....torturing...

U can get saline or idline (don't know if I got the spelling correct) saline to clear , the other is to decongest nose, can get them at pharmacy n u can check with the pharmacist for any doubts.

I went to the polyclinic this morn to get the nasal drops. the queue is horrible!! took me almost 2 hours.

I bath every day & wash hair every alternate day using the herbal water & herbal body foam.

my boy's baby shower is tmr (althou not full 1mth yet). yest already blow fan, take normal shower, wear shorts, etc. decided to end my "confinement" early. Hahah.

jiayou for those still doing confinement!!

I went to the polyclinic this morn to get the nasal drops. the queue is horrible!! took me almost 2 hours.
Polyclinic don't give infant priority que? 2 hours is standard for normal people waiting time... never mind next time u can get those 2 nose drop at any pharmacy. I've checked with my baby pd usually dr are not supposed to prescribe any oral medicine for infants, these 2 nose drop are commonly n safe usage :)

I started my confinement without bathing or washing hair. Only use hot towel to wipe. My husband says my body hygiene cannot make it.

Finally I get to bathe (alternate day) and wash hair (once in 3-4days). At day 9, my baby got re-admitted due to high jaundice and my husb and I both broke down and cry.

Since then, I have been showering and washing hair everyday (without CL's knowledge tho she discovered today). I think mommy's emotional health impt so I just decided to take care of myself so that I can take better care of bb when he is discharged.

So

Today is day12, since my confinement started in day3, I have been going out everyday. Twice a day to hospital to visit baby and drop EBM. Discharged days gotta go PD clinic for blood test.

I have the most unconfined confinement? Another blood test on Monday for bb's jaundice, hopefully can certified cleared and I can stay home to rest alr...

Polyclinic don't give infant priority que? 2 hours is standard for normal people waiting time... never mind next time u can get those 2 nose drop at any pharmacy. I've checked with my baby pd usually dr are not supposed to prescribe any oral medicine for infants, these 2 nose drop are commonly n safe usage :)

icic. didn't know can get the nasal drop at pharmacy. else it'll be so much more convenient.

newborn got priority. but so are elderly & appt holders which makes up like 3/4 of the ppl there. sweat.

Today is day12, since my confinement started in day3, I have been going out everyday. Twice a day to hospital to visit baby and drop EBM. Discharged days gotta go PD clinic for blood test.

I have the most unconfined confinement? Another blood test on Monday for bb's jaundice, hopefully can certified cleared and I can stay home to rest alr...

must be tough for u. jiayou & stay strong!!

Jia you.
Agree that mother's emotional health is most important. Don't let all the confinement rules get to you.
I keep my sanity by bathing. A good scrub makes me feel good and I feel good when I'm clean and caring for baby.

Hang in there everybody

All the best to your baby! Stay strong mummy!

Jia you @J.Lau!!!
I'm using moony! so far so good! But merries is excellent as well!!

Dun worry, I'm the one who started bathing & washing hair using normal tap water since day of delivery in the hospital. Ur baby health will improve. Hang in there! Hugz

Mommies.. any of you encounter ur LO drinking frequently at say 30 ML per meal but wakes every 1 hour or so for milk? He drinks and fall asleep very soon after say 30ml then refuse to drink... im concerned that he is not drinkjng enough and i am exhausted from his frequent drinking

Hi mummies, I'm due in early September, but suddenly had a bit of bloody show this afternoon. Having some tightening of tummy, but no pain. What are contractions supposed to feel like?

Tightening mayb is Braxton hicks. Contractions cannot b painless and the pain is at the bottom part of womb. But bloody show is disturbing. Mayb time to make appt wif gynae to chk for dilation.

Jia you @J.Lau!!!

I bought Merries for my Bb to use which I think is very good among the rest.

I used those free ones from hospital and from those baby gift pack (Huggies, Drypers, pampers) but I think Merries and Pampers so far is the best one.

Huggies not so good... My Bb skin quite red using Huggies... So now I only use merries which is soft and absorbent....

You will know when contractions is here! It happens to me too... I had tightening feeling for a week before the actual contraction and I kept thinking I was due.

But when the contraction came, it was painful each time. The pain was gradual and became more intense. You can time also and see whether it's more frequent and regular, if yes then it's real contraction.

BH is only tightening with minimal or no pain at all. They also come at regular timing but it will stop after a while. You bloody show might be just spotting.

Dun worry, I'm the one who started bathing & washing hair using normal tap water since day of delivery in the hospital. Ur baby health will improve. Hang in there! Hugz

Same here! I showered in the hospital and regretted not showering b4 I got discharged cos when I went home to meet CL, first 3 days I didn't bathe I think... Ewwwws...

I always console myself that the westerners do not do confinement and they also have children and no physical problems in life right? Haha!

I started my confinement without bathing or washing hair. Only use hot towel to wipe. My husband says my body hygiene cannot make it.

Finally I get to bathe (alternate day) and wash hair (once in 3-4days). At day 9, my baby got re-admitted due to high jaundice and my husb and I both broke down and cry.

Since then, I have been showering and washing hair everyday (without CL's knowledge tho she discovered today). I think mommy's emotional health impt so I just decided to take care of myself so that I can take better care of bb when he is discharged.

So
No offends but I really salute mummys that went on strictly to confinement procedures. I bath day 2 in hospital till now n I just ordered confinement food to home & i care for my baby n my 5 yr old son myself with help of hubby.

To me hygiene is very important, I breastfed. And if I'm smelly and dirty, I don't even want my bb to stay near me. The older generation said I'll suffer when old but as I work in hospital settings, realistically everyone will grow old and fall sick & even confinement won't keep illness away as is part of life, y not be comfortable yet take care of own body?

Hope your bb will recover soon, jaundice is normal for newborns they needs to keep hydrate so more milk to go.. take care :)

Dear mummies, how do you all store your excess breastmilk? I have been freezing my breastmilk in bags and my freezer is getting more and more packed. I am not sure will my baby ever has chance to clear these frozen breastmilk as he still drinks very little at the moment (I pumped 1800ml a day and he drinks 840ml). Anyone can advise what should I do with the excess breastmilk? (I got 40 over packs of 150ml breastmilk in freezer now)

Shirlen, wendily. Thanks for replying. I called my gynae and She told me to go to labour ward when contractions become painful.. my contractions now feeling sore like period cramps but Still not painful... so waiting waiting...

Pochacco123, are u fully dl or are u exclusively pumping? I am fully dl now but would like to start to pump to store. Can u share with me ur routine of feeding and pumping?

@hyuain
My edd same as you! But I popped on 21st Aug. After 22hrs since my water bag burst at 1030pm on 20th Aug. The wait is such an agony.
But totally worth it!! :)
Jia you!! Your turn soon!

Dear mummies, how do you all store your excess breastmilk? I have been freezing my breastmilk in bags and my freezer is getting more and more packed. I am not sure will my baby ever has chance to clear these frozen breastmilk as he still drinks very little at the moment (I pumped 1800ml a day and he drinks 840ml). Anyone can advise what should I do with the excess breastmilk? (I got 40 over packs of 150ml breastmilk in freezer now)

I think some moms get a freezer to store the milk. I saw some ppl selling such freezers at Carousell. His demand will increase in the future so you will surely use up the stored milk.

And you can also lengthen the frequency of pumping so the qty collected would be lesser...

I saw some mummy posting on FB to give away frozen EBM... :)

I now also have a lot of bottles of EBM. Choking up my freezer. Due to BB's jaundice, we are alternating one FM with one EBM. So I have to store half of my milk. Some times one pump ends up w more than the demand for BB's feed...

Just hope Jaundice clear soon and I can feed and use up my EBM! Been pouring away some bcos those in the fridge I try not to keep for more than 1 day...

Pochacco123, are u fully dl or are u exclusively pumping? I am fully dl now but would like to start to pump to store. Can u share with me ur routine of feeding and pumping?
I exclusively pumping no dl. Luckily bb is okay with the medela slow flow teat. I am feeding 70ml every 2 hourly and pumping for 15min every 4 hourly. Now the milkflow come naturally I dont even need to massage or pause the pump. Also no more lump as long as I pump on time and same duration cause I dont want to increase production further now.

I exclusively pumping no dl. Luckily bb is okay with the medela slow flow teat. I am feeding 70ml every 2 hourly and pumping for 15min every 4 hourly. Now the milkflow come naturally I dont even need to massage or pause the pump. Also no more lump as long as I pump on time and same duration cause I dont want to increase production further now.
Hi..i store my frozen bm 'lying down'...save space.
Can i ask mummies out there..do u all get emotional and feel like crying during confinement?

Your milk flow is good, how old your bb now and can share your diet? My bb is 20 days old n I latch her on demand 2-3 hourly but other times I can only pump out 40-70ml from both sides..

Lucky you ! Supply is so good. You might want to consider donating the extra to kkh for premmie babies ?

Back