(2013) ivf/icsi mummies Support group

Mummies, I am desperately needing help now..

One of my boys is crying inconsolably at every night 7pm. I know this is colic.. What can we do to help him feel better? 7pm is his last feed of the day too.. And he can't drink at all dued to the crying non stop. Sigh.. This crying also happened afew time in the daytime but not everyday. We brought him to see pd yesterday coz I really can't take his crying.. Is too poor thing.. Pd said is colic reflux..

I also realised he started to be very distracted when feeding and he feed very short now. Like 20
Mins if I am lucky. Else is less than 20 mins..

What can I do I make him cry less and feed longer?

Lil, now I know how you feel when your boy was crying non stop during the early days. Sigh..

Koirc, thanks! I do hope my boys will catch up in their development. My husband is constantly reminding me that they are premmies so give them time.

Hopeful ting, my boys are coming to 4 months soon and I have been asking myself and my husband the same question. When should I stop coz the night pumping is really tiring me out that I can't seem to enjoy my boys in the day. We told ourselves to set the 6th month target first and work towards it. After which, he will let me decide on my own to stop or not. I am in a dilemma too. Even thought my one pump session is not enough for both of them (they are taking 340ml per feed) but is still abit wasted for me to stop it after putting in so much efforts to build up my supply.. Sigh,.

Saralyn, I totally understand what you mean and how you feel. It's like I get stress up when she fusses while I'm pumping and end up I didn't empty my breasts ... Plus I had blocked ducts before so I'm really scared that it will come back. I told my hubby if I don't need to pump I can really concentrate on my girl and not too stress. In the past, let down and pumping was fast for me but now it takes so long. And my gal doesn't nap long either Haiz. She's coming to 6 months in about 2 weeks time. So I'm considering should I slowly reduce to 4 pumps a day but supply will definitely reduce. Now I'm glad I have frozen BM so at least can last her for maybe 2-3 weeks when I stop. I also find it abit wasted coz supply is there.... And we all know its good for baby.

hope sin u r taking care of ur girl, why dont u consider latching her instead? its much easier n not so stressful. has u started ur girl on solid? I m still bf my girl too. coming to 7months soon. same pro with slow let down. n I dont bear to stop bf now sin my supply is still there. my supply was low last week due to menses and this week my supply is up again. I think you can drag the timing interval and you might be able to pump more in a session.
Btw had you manage to slim down?

guess for us, when we can cross the 6 month mark, we will still preserve on to bf cos its become a habit. i had no idea when to stop and i dont bear to stop now.

saralyn, looks like your boys are nursing shorter time now. maybe they are drinking faster now. Guess they r curious with the environment then to spend their time nursing now. As for colic, maybe try to hold upright when bb is crying. My friend whose son had colic told me that it helped to soothe her son and they took turn to carry bb upright during the colic crying periods. Must be v stressful to hear bb crying non stop. Jia you.

Sade, I stopped latchibg my gal after confinement. Reason was because she doesn't latch on my right side well... CL said coz the nipple head is shorter. So she always ends up very angry and impatient even after a month. So I stopped latching and pumped instead. Yah the 6 months is like a hurdle and I'm so glad that I managed to achieve the goal soon. She's not on solid coz PD says she has ecezma so to start after 6 months.
Yup I lose my preg weight... In fact am abit lighter than before Hee. But still have tummy lei... Abit smaller though. I think it's the bf and taking card of baby alone that helps in lossing weight. What about you? :)

hope oh I see. u might wan to try to latch again sin ur girl is 5months plus alrdy. maybe she is ok with it now.
I din lose all pregnancy weight cos I m underweight then. so now my weight is good, but still hv a tummy. yee bf do really helps to slim down faster.
not easy to take care of bb alone, soon ur bb will start on solids and will be even more busier. what do u plan to start her with?

Hi Ladies, managed to crack open my laptop on one of the rare occasions so posting here. The font is just too small on the phone!
Saralyn, I don't want to imagine what it's like having 1 twin with colic! My Twin A is already giving me a headache by wanting to play instead of drinking the milk. The nanny has to try all sorts of positions to feed her - sit on the floor, put on the bouncer and hold one hand, carry to the yard, sit on the bed, sit on sofa, put on pillow. IT's exasperating. And when I try to feed, she stops immediately wants to play. My nanny says she associates me with playing! Are you giving your boy ridwind or gripe water to deal with the colic?

Ladies wow really appreciate how much hard work you've put into bf. My boys just hit 1 mth today n I'm still struggling with supply. They get quite a bit of formula n it's so stressful knowing I can't satisfy them. Mofmm read earlier you can pump a lot. Can u share what did to get the supply? Thanks!

Dian Tang, thanks my boy is much better now. The oral thrush seems to have gone and he is feeding better. We are still continuing with this probiotic drops and oral thrush gel just in case. Oh dear, it is heart pain to see baby being admitted to hospital for being unwell. Hope your boy is better now too. Hang in there mummy!

Saralyn, oh the dreaded colic! Poor you too! I wish I have better advice or answer for you but we really didn't have a magic method. Here are some suggestions on what you can do:
- stay calm and positive as baby can feed off your energy when you hold him (i.e. don't stress and be frustrated)
- My husband, helper and I took turns to carry and sooth baby during his evening cries.
- hold baby upright and sooth
- hold with baby tummy facing you as they like the warmth on their tummy
- ridwind
- soothing warm bath & massage
- if baby doesn't want to feed during his crying episode, don't force
- swaddle
- ru yi oil
- probiotics may help too (the one my baby is taking is Biogaia Protectis Baby)
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20100816/probiotics-may-reduce-crying-from-colic
- Mummy don't eat/drink milk, nuts, gas producing food
- check for tummy ache, oral thrush, fever or anything to rule out that baby is unwell
- and finally...know that this will pass...so hang in there! You are doing a great job!

Hopefully out of the things I've listed, you can find some that helps!

Sade, don't think I will try latching her again coz I don't know how long I will continue bf and also I don't want her to be confused with bottles when I decided to wean off.
You must be very slim in the past! Tummy is really hard to lose so I think I need to start doing some crunches!
I'm thinking of starting my gal on white rice cereal and carrot purée but haven't decided on which brand. Thinking of healthy times actually. Which brand is your baby taking? :)

Don't know if this will help u. I used to massage my babies when young but not very good at it. Now I found a place that does just massage for children n they do for babies also. Very professional. U can try to look for this therapist yuki. Very good skills but a little naggy though. Found them on face book, my kids spa. U can try your luck.

hope i gained 18kg during pregnancy and had already lost 16kg. I hope to keep these 2kg cos i will be underweight again if i lost it. how i wished i can keep the weight and lose the tummy. BF really helps to slim down faster. Hmmm, yes i should also be doing some crunches too.
I am doing homemade food for my bb. Have fun feeding bb.
If you are not latching, then it's v tiring, cos need to pump out, wash it, feed bb. Furthermore, you are taking care of bb alone, really not easy.

Reikibaby is your bb eating well? My bb is v cranky during feeding. so distressing to feed her at times. I am actually enjoying preparing all these purees and porridge for her but she is not very keen yet. the most is 20baby spoons. guess still have to give her some more time to adjust to eating solids.

Mofmm, sigh.. So your nanny is still able to feed your girl? I still having alot of issues feeding my boy. He keep looking around and don't want to drink.

Lil, thanks for the list.. I will take note and try those tips. Is really tough to handle an inconsolable baby.. Today is the worst day. He just keep crying non stop whenever his eyes are opened..

Mummies, Has your baby sleep through the night already?

Sade, my boy loves eating. So far so good. I din really count hw many spoon but according to my mum, he realli can eat and enjoys. Normally he will stop cos the food turned cold. Im still trying to find ways to make the warmth of food last longer. Last measured was about 4 soup spoon = 60-70ml of porridge....will left few baby spoon of food cos cold le...i dun wan gv him...
And he still takes the same amt of milk per day. Haha and yet to sleep thru the night. Am gg to gv him avocado this week...will see hw he reacts to avocado.
Pd suggested of wan give broccoli, cabbage, cailiflower, just a bit will do cos they cause wind in tummy.

reikibaby wow thats good. yes lot of veggies cause wind in tummy. sweet potato, long beans, peas and asparagus too.
my bb porridge also will turn cold. so now I only scoop out small portion n feed. n if cold then will mix with some warm one again.
how long does ur boy finish his food?

I started bb on solids on Sunday, starting with one spoonful of organic brown rice cereal mixed with 4 spoonfuls of milk as directed on the tin. BB’s face twitched when he was eating it. So funny!

Sade, is the organic brown rice you bought normal ones that adults eat too? Or are there special ones for babies? And where can I buy the oatmeal rolls?

Mummies using Avent blender/steamer. Is it easy to use? I have it as a gift but I haven’t even opened. My friend told me that I will need a sizable quantity to blend using it then portion out and freeze the rest. I don’t like the idea of freezing so I am thinking of buying a manual one so that I can make the food fresh every day. Manual blender does not require to have big quantities apparently.

I was also experiencing severe hair loss when bb was around 4-5 months. The area where i sit to express my breast milk will be full of hair, just like a salon. But after using a set of anti hair loss products, my hair fall stopped and baby hair is growing now

Saralyn: how is your baby ? My girl has acid reflux and I've to feed her upright. She only drink a small amount of milk and cries painfully after feeding

Psp, thanks for asking. He is still the same.now he cries in the day time too. We did everything we can to help him already. So poor boy. Sigh..

koirc i bought those normal organic brown rice. As for oatmeal, there are lots of different types such as steel cut or rolled. I bought organic rolled types and just discover that there are sodium in it. So now will source for other brand and i saw one with sugar in it. so now still sourcing.

Do open up the avent blender/steamer to use. it's should be v easy n convenient to use it. I din buy it cos i have a grinder/blender at home. I also don't like the idea of freezing bb solids. Same as whiteclover, whatever bb can't finish, i will eat it. haha.

Dian tang, he is not having fever, running nose etc.. So I assume he is fine. I realised he only cries so bad when I put him to sleep or feeding time.

Saralyn, now both girls are distracted when feeding. Getting to be a chore to feed them. Twin A esp will cry before during and after the feed. Don't know what's wrong - drink halfway the mouth will open around the teat and she will start to cry. Just can't understand why she just can't finish all at a go. Twin B won't cry but mid feed will push the teat out and look around

Small Bunny, yup I now pump 1800 to 2000ml a day. My hubby called me a cow. Drink warm drink when pumping, everyday drink longan red date tea and eat threadfin fish. Also drink at least 3l of fluid a day and pump religiously every 3 hours. Don't give up and be strict about 3 hours pumping for the first 8 weeks to establish supply. And most importantly get enough rest and empty out each breast every pump by massaging at the same time.

Hi Sade, couldn't agree more. Sad thing is that my breasts look like udders too! I shudder when I look in the mirror - my chest reminds me of a papaya tree with large bursting swollen papayas drooping along the tree trunk. I don't even want to think about what I'm going to look like after 6 months of this pumping.

No, I don't pump every 3 hourly anymore. Just down to 5 pumps a day. The longest I ever stretched is 8 hours like last night. Pumped at 9pm too tired to wake at 1-2am and got up at 5am with a soaked nightgown. Pumped 630ml total from both breasts. Now at 915am pumping again should be about another 320 this round. So 2000ml now per 24hrs is my average. Yup I have excess EBM to freeze so may stop pumping after 6 months and use the frozen stuff. Just don't know if the twins will accept. If not just mix in their cereal.

I think the key thing is establishing supply at the start by pumping 3 hourly. After that can drop pumps but must empty out the breasts each session

reikibaby I will grind before cooking it.

mofmm hehe totally understand abt the soaked nightgown cos its happen to me a few times.
really hard work but its def worth it. u started working alrdy?

Sade/ Reikibaby,

I have given bb brown rice cereal for lunch for a week. When do I increase to two meals a day? How much and how viscose do I give per meal?

What’s the next food you let bb try? I am planning to let bb try avocado next. Have you let your bb try avocado? How do you select and how do you store the unused portion?

Sade, am reading up on millets and quinoa, thinking to let baby try these....

Koirc, i gave baby brown rice porridge (blended) with different veg every 4-5 days. Gave him pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, chinese yam...now am giving carrots....next will either be spinach or pea.
I have baby on 1 meal a day for 3weeks. This week i'm giving a porridge/cereal meal @ 10-11am and a fruit meal @ 2pm.
I tried avocado yesterday, and baby gag over it, and simply refuse the rest. He doesnt like banana too. Planning to add on these 2 fruits slowly into cereal, at least theres a common taste he is familiar with before reintroducing it as an individual fruit again.
But all these meals did not substitute his milk intakes. He still latch on after an hour from the solid meal cos nap time...hee

MofMM thanks for the tips. Wow 320ml from one pump that's like my supply after 4 sessions! :eek: I can't imagine how u collected that 630ml after 8 hrs..... how long did u take to establish the supply? I'm at abt 800ml per day n each twin takes up to almost 900ml per day....

koirc as long ur bb eats the cereal then u can start 2 meals per day. I had given her avocado few weeks back. I will use the avocado n mash with ebm. I will use half for my bb n the other half I will eat it. I dont store half of it cos the flesh will turn brownish. Green n firm avocado is not ripe yet. so if you wan to ripen the avocado then dont chill it. once its turn black in color n soft (press it with palm) then its ripe.

reikibaby I dont think I will intro quinoa n millets. not a common chinese food so most probably will skip that.

It is really so tedious to log in here to reply now. Need to turn on laptop.

Dian tang & Saralyn, how are your boys? Really hope they are better now and feeding well.
Saralyn, how is the colic? Better?

Reiki and Sade, wow you have a really good meal plan for your baby! Very organised and well thought out. You are both working, right? Do you tell the person taking care of your baby to prepare these meals? I'm just thinking ahead :)

Time flies and in less than 2 weeks I will be back at work. Before delivery, I thought that I will have no problem going back to work. I enjoy my work and thought that I will be eager to get back to work. But I have to admit that I am totally blind-sighted by how attached and in love I am with baby. Just can't bear the thought of being away from him and going back to work. I've been told it gets better over time and after a couple of days I will feel adjusted again. It takes time because we have been with baby since he was born. I find myself choke with emotion every night just counting down to back-to-work day :(

lil me working half day so most of the food r prepared by either me or my hb. its really fun when bb eats what I had prepared for her.
times really flies v fast with a baby. u r still nursing ur bb boy? yes its the bonding that make one not eager to go back to work. enjoy nursing ur bb now cos as bb grow older, nursing time get even shorter n shorter. miss those days!
U better plan ahead n read abt introducing solids to bb. lot of info and can get confusing at times. so ur bb can eat solids, ur maid is helping u?

Lil, im not working so i prepares baby's meal. On days when i leave baby at my mum place, i will bring the ingredients over and she will prepare accordingly. Usualli i will just get my mum cook porridge and blend for baby. Anything fanciful like puree or want baby to self feed, i will do so myself cos only i knw what i want for baby.

Thanks alot Sade for creating this thread
happy.gif

Chevy how come ur gynae appt is tmr I thgt is today? Isn't it suppose to be same day as u/s? Btw how's ur u/s?

hey hey, I am 7 months pregnant and staying home. eating eating eating:), but I just found one perfect site earn some extra, it is all in one website, all u do is promote. i just joined this site 4 days ago and earned $479. Awesome opportunity. if u interested click this link:
http://www.5FigureDay.com/?ref=39144

hi mummies,

may i know which milk bottles are good for infant?Anyone using tommee tippiee, Dr brown or plaxtex milk bottles..or any other recommendation which reduces colic?

thank you! :p

Thanks, Sade & Reikibaby. My bb has been on organic brown rice cereal for almost two weeks. So going to let him try new stuff. Btw, my bb's milk intake seemed to be erratic now. Sometimes he takes 150ml (max) per feed. Sometimes he only drinks 60ml. I am still feeding on 3 hour interval. But night time only feed him 90ml cos he always can't finish and then falls back to sleep.

Reikibaby, Hope & Znatasha, our bb around same age. Does your bb know his/her name yet? My bb doesn't seem to know his name. He doesn't respond when I call him. I feel so sad... And I am working so helper and mum look after bb most of the time. Sometimes when I carry bb and either of them walk past, he will look at them. :(

Btw, who's ready for another kid? :D I think I remember Usagi saying she's ready to try... Any news?

Oh btw, how often do we need to change milk bottles. I have the Avent big bottles waiting to be used. But bb drinks maximum 150ml only, so still using small bottles!

Koirc, i cant wait to get preg again...heee
My boy knws his name cos i call him everytime and everyday.. your mum and helper dun address your baby by name?

Reikibaby, they do address him by name. Should I be concerned? :(

Btw, I went to buy avocado today. I thought the color of the skin looked dark but when I came back to office, my colleague told me that it's not ripe! :( Sigh, I am going to look for another fruit store to buy...

koirc my bb sometimes answer when I called her name. Sometimes not. so not sure if she knows that its her name.
as for avocado, just put on the table and it take one to two day to ripen.

Sade, I went to buy avocados again at Cold Storage and fed bb on Saturday. The one I got was just nice and I could mash it easily. BB seems to take it well. I froze the other half and took it up to the fridge to thaw last night. And it turned a little brown this morning. :( I am going to let bb try sweet potato next. Any idea if I can use Japanese sweet potato? And do I add sweet potato to milk too?

Btw, who's giving bb follow-on fm? What brand do you give? I think I want to change...

Back