(2013/05) May 2013

I'm with my company for 2years plus. also granted 6 days CCL. Hubby just started this new job. So will get him to check. Thanks for the info rejoy28.

It's my #1, so I am really wishing he can fight for his rights to accompany me
proud.gif
LOL! Cause I think I needs a little support. MIL will be doing my confinement and taking care of Baby. Sometimes old folks doesn't think and work the same way as we do. I so scare got conflict and will go depressed. LOL!

Oooh!! Think we dun hafta worry abt bb's actual birth date dr the info provided in this webby.. http://www.heybaby.sg/worklife/paternity_leave.html click under faq and scroll to the last qn..

What if my child is born prematurely before 1 May 2013 but his / her estimated delivery date is after 1 May 2013?
In order to qualify for paternity leave, the Estimated Delivery Date (EDD) of the child should be on or after 1 May 2013.
If the child was born before 1 May 2013 but whose EDD was on or after 1 May 2013, fathers can write to the Ministry of Social and Family Development at the following address to check on their eligibility for paternity leave. They should include the original doctor's certification on the EDD and copies of the following documents:
birth certificates of all children;
citizenship certificates or Singapore passport of all children (if applicable);
marriage certificate; and
NRICs or passports of both parents
The address is: Ministry of Social and Family Development, Baby Bonus Section, 512A Thomson Road, SLF Podium #02-01/09, Singapore 298137.

Rejoy: okie! Thx for the info! Will chk with my hr..
happy.gif

Pink tulip: my PT is $50 for 4 hours 10 minutes.
per hour is $12. but she always work extra 10 minutes to make up to $50 lor.

bewildereed: PM u already.
is your hub hands on? can he bath new born? can he wash the bb clothes? can he feed baby? can he brew herbs? can he prepare bath water for u?
can he cook confinement dishes varieties? does he know how to go marketing?
if he knows above then ok la..otherwise u stress he also stress u know.

for me, i am so gonna ask hub to take 3 days Paternity leave upon birth then the rest when CL leaves...so that can settle my emotions too...
bb is especially fussy when CL leaves, dunno why...

Hello mummies!

bewildered: thanks for the info on what if bb is born b4 1 May. Is very useful!

JC: i rem for my #1, I was given some forms for bb bonus to fill in when I was given the hospital tour or during the registration for admission period. There are some other forms like birth registration and all that with the bb bonus form. So can hand in to the hospital b4 discharge.

I think is good that fathers can now share the maternity leave. Cos I doubt I can clear all the maternity leave. Also, is fair for the fathers to get used to their roles too during the impt first few weeks- be it first time or 2nd time or 3rd time dads. All different demands.

Morning mommies!
I'm sure everyone are in high spirits, especially after reading bewildered's assuring post.

JC
Yup for application of baby bonus, your hubby can fill up some forms. There should be a registration booth in the hospital. Just fill up and within a few weeks the $ will be credited into your account.

charliebrown
Why can't you clear all your maternity leave? Is your workplace not very child-friendly? I'm looking forward to clearing my maternity leave. And to clear my vacation leave too.

2Ks
I asked my hubby to share his paternity leave with me. Hehe. I am looking on the positive side and hoping all will be smooth. My 2 kids will be in school right? After discharge maybe get my hubby to help 1-2 days esp when I'm having post-natal massage. If got excess, I'd rather take the maternity leave. My husband is a workaholic! I think i'd rather he go to work than stick around at home if all's OK.

Xuan
it's hard when your MIL is facing you 24-7 during confinement. Hehe. But she's very nice to want to do confinement for you also! You have to be firm and set your mind on thngs you want to do ok. Eg if you want to breastfeed, you have to be firm and say you will BF your baby, say No to formula. Don't let the old folks sway you. There's no way FM is better than breastmilk (99.99% of the time).

bewildered - thanks for your post... so either way we are still entitled.. but so mafan must let them know on our own...

Mommies, I'm still very confused about the paternity leave eh.

Is it father given 1 week paternity leave then on top of that they can share our (1week) ML = 2 weeks?? or is it the 1week paternity leave is taken from our Maternity leave = 16 weeks - 1 week = 15 weeks? So confusing eh...

Because MOM stated:
From 1 May 2013, working fathers, including those who are self-employed, are entitled to share 1 week out of the 16 weeks’ maternity leave, subject to the agreement of the mother and provided that they meet the following critieria under CDCA :

i. The child is a Singapore Citizen born on or after 1 May 2013;

ii. Mother qualifies for Government-Paid Maternity Leave;

iii. Father is lawfully married to the child’s mother.

pinktulip (ipanbaby: mmm. Yup, some how I'm thankful she is willing to do the confinement and taking care of Baby. Definitely I will try my best to provide baby BF as long as I've enough milk.

Anyway, I heard of some tea that you drink can increase milk supply...any mummy here has tried it before? Does it really helps...I'm so worried I don have enough milk. mmm..or eat what can/ might increase milk supply??

xuan: maybe i put it here see u understand or not.

upon birth
open CDA account (either OCBC or stand chart): dollar to dollar match till max 6k (1st & 2nd child). means u put $100 govt will match $100 till max $6K

baby bonus account - upon filled up form and credit to specified account. 6k divided into 1 year,
upon birth 50%
subsquent 25%, 25%

Childcare leave (calculate from youngest child) -total 6 days (prorated if new staff)

paternity leave - 1 week for papa, but also can use 1 week leave from mother 16 weeks leave
means mummy can take 15 weeks whereas papa can take 2 weeks.

besides that can take unpaid ccl of a week if have infants less than 2 years old.

childcare subsidy: $300 for above 18 months, $600 for below 18 months

HTH

gooood morning!

still smiling over the new measures.. still thinking whether to share the 1 week with the hubbie.. good suggestion that if we share, the daddies will have 2 weeks + clear some leave, he can really help us in our confinement.. but my hubbie can only cook maggi mee! haha.. and housework he bao the windows and mirrors while i bao the rest.. but it will be really good if he's around and help look after the house.. cause we never know when the CL wanna play punk with us..

xuan: my mil will also be around during my confinement
sad.gif
she volunteer to buy the fresh food the CL needs and also pay for the CL fees.. don't know whether to pay her back or what leh.. i hope i won't get depression man..

PT helper: any mummies has recommendations on PT helper? my friend is about to pop any time soon and she just sent her helper back! super li hai lor.. but she say the helper don't help much and don't seem to be taking care of her #1.. so send her back.. now she's in need of a pt helper while her agent finds her a new one.. will be tough for her cause she has a #1 to take care and a #2 coming and confinement!

2Ks: Thanks a burden!! Then I'm on the right track lor. Everyone give me different conclusion. So irritating...Keep tell me:"no la~~ the one week paternity leave is take from your 16weeks lar~" I'm like really meh -__-! my understanding not so jia lat bah. Now that it's all cleared! Gum xia!!

Rach: since your mil is around, how come she don't wanna help you do confinement? yar, I hope I don't get depression also. Cause I every time and anything she said I also orh, orh, orh...ok, ok, ok...LOL!! Yah, indeed it's great to allow the papa to share our leave. Let the 1st time daddy like my hubby spend more time and have more interaction with the little fellow first. Also, can ease my depression & getting use to all the new procedures in life =x LOL! But my hubby ah, damn scary pig de. Said later boss face black black, tio fired~~

my hub tell me to keep my maternty
coz he already doesnt know how to clear his excess leave... dun wan to add to his headache
but see how it goes
if really caant take it, i will tell him to go ahead n take the week

btw, is bb bonus acc same as the cda acc? coz if they r the same then i can use the 3k to pay for cordlife... dun need to b so siong

confinement herbs
can someone tell me what to buy in bulk? i wan to get the medical hall to help with prepack but my mil say too ex..she ask me what i wan to eat then she buu separately
but i haf never given birth
=_='

my hubby company already giving him 1 week paternity leave. So he tell me no benefit leh...ask me to sacrifice 1 week give him..haha i ask him wait long long

Hi Mummies

I have a pre-loved Pigeon Multi-function Sterilizer which is still in good condition.

I am selling at $40. Cash and carry from Buangkok.

Interested mummies, please email me at [email protected]

Have a good day!

Vi: bb bonus = cash (can be credited to your joint account or own account)

cda - govt dollar to dollar match. that one is max 6k.
if u intend to use for cordlife then when bb goes childcare, u wont have much left hor.

medical herbs

daily for brewing longgan drink
dangshen
longan
red dates (seedless or with seed up to u, i usually mix)
nan zao
bei qi (up to u)
tong cao (up to u)

tonics (u can get those pre packed type from EYS, Fu hua)
those packets herbs are okay...then if u want can add some more yourself.

additional
dang gui (but if u buy those prepack that contains dang gui then not necessary)

1st 2 days (if natural birth) 2 doses of shen hua tang

i tell u more when i remember...
these are the basics

wow! we really benefits from 2Ks!! *thumbs up!* you doing confinement with a CL??

2Ks: CDA - Is we open either with OCBC or Standard chart account right then we bank put in money? what should we bring along to open the account?

bb bonus is cash???
wah
there r so many things to buy using the cda acc but not enough money

i think to take up one whole chunk of money at one go very siong
at least cc is per mth
so wont feel so heartache

my mil say no tk those prepack herbs
she prefer to buy separately
sigh

wats the difference btw cordlife and stemcord?

is the $ the same and some of my frens researched and mention actually its not really beneficial to sign up for either of them?

Thanks

i always thot the cda acc will be sufficient, until my #1 goes to cc. $6000 dollar to dollar match, i think is not enough lor. coz every month cc is quite an amount liao....but with the extra cash gift, hope will lighten our load

After reading up details on cord blood banking, we decide to donate to Singapore Cord Blood Bank. =)

For experienced mummies, last time the confinement herbs you leave it to CL to buy or you prepare and buy the herbs first? And the daily food marketing also? A friend was sharing with me that during her sister's confinement time their parents settle the marketing and herbs.

xuan: haa...ya i doing confinement with a CL. and i will not buy those herbs from the agency. i get from outside.
ya...cda can open with either banks. but ocbc easier when u bank in money cos alot of atms around ma. there will be an atm card allocated.
u can used the card to pay for cc fees, cordlife, PD visits etc

vi: yr mil knows how to mix the herbs 1st or not?
example, shen hua tang...does she know what goes inside. what item how many grams?
bu yao soup, does she know how much the herbs to mix or not?
if she doesnt then its very difficult u know.

what i usually do is i buy pre packed types then i add more stuff.

worried79: $6k is not alot lor..
my #2 one by 2 years old finished. one thing cos he goes to ifc la.
if normal cc, think can tahan 2-3 years. but then cc fees keep increasing hor...think usually by 2 years will be depleted.
and i know some mummies used cda to pay for vaccination also.

vaccination price i posted earlier...u guys can have a gauge if interested. but then that is a normal GP rates. PD rates are much more exp.

chiro: i am also donating to SCBB. but just to let u know...upon donating and labour, the nurse will need to draw 2 or 3 tubes of blood from u hor.

herbs usually my mil will prepare then marketing my mum will goes to the market twice every week.
then kampong eggs my mil will get from distributor.
my fish will get from my hub friend who has a stall at senoko.

wt81 (wt81): yah. some of my colleagues told me actually not very beneficial to sign up for either. That's why I'm still considering. They have intention to stop the plan already. Cause they said when you need to take out the cord blood to use, there is another fee chargeable to it. Can hit up to 5 digits easily. The premium is just for storing and keep the cord blood in the 'bank'.
My gynae has given me the brochures, do you want me to send you a copy for reference? I can scan and send u =)

2Ks: wah! you like got a lot of lobang and professionals by your side eh. I bet you always have a good confinements. Know of any secret to remain good supply of Breast milk? hehe
proud.gif

Hi mummies!

Chiro, during my confinement, my MIL helped to settle the marketing. I will make sure the house fridge has some pork, ginger, red dates etc before CL arrives and when CL arrive, i will ask CL what else she need and top up the fridge from there.

So happy about the new baby bonus and baby policies! I heard there's gonna be 6 months maternity soon? But they havent announce when it's gonna start. Praying hard that we are applicable to 6 Months maternity leave. Really shiok leh! as good as don't need to work for the rest of the year hee..

Xuan, hello! for #1 i didn't go for stem cord or cordlife. i donated to SCBB. At SCBB, if emergency and need the blood for baby (Touch wood!), they will let you take the blood out if it's still in the bank de. And i think don't need to pay. Like making a donation like that. Have to inform gynae though cos gynae will help to take out the blood from the cord during birth. For no.2, i might go with SCBB too. But it's personal choice. Some ppl say only having one baby so they want to keep the cord blood with cordlife etc.

xuan: no la...just that i got to manage things in order and in proper so that i can have sufficient rest.
to me a good confinement is very important.
during #1 time, i didnt engage a CL for the 1st few days and i suffered. and also #2 i do a proper confinement i can see the difference in my health.
thus i believe in confinement. just tolerate that sickening 28 days but will result in a good me, why not? rite..

there is no secret to have good supply of breastmilk.
2 words for u...cannot be lazy and must be hardworking.
all mothers will have milk...its just how u call the milk out only.

does anyone know whether the $6000 will be given $1000 every 6 months?? by the time get the full sum when liao... cos the $4000 is $1000 every 6 months also...

Hi Debbie!! ^^ WOW! 6months ML! is this serious?!! Oic. When must tell them about the donation? I think I will go for SCBB too. Like if can help others, why not. Meaning...if emergency, as a donator we can request SCBB to let us use for our kid? (*touchwood!*)

2Ks: haha. ya! heard the "calling milk out" takes a little while to handle uh? Anyway, I heard some mummies have blocked duct uh...have u experienced that b4...? Also, if I don't let baby latch and go fully into expressed milk, should be same effect de right. Cause my SIL told me many people gave up when they have bleeding, sore and painful nips =x (Sounds scary!!)

cordlfe
i sign up coz i m worried when the bb needs it, it is available. money cannot buy the health. so i guess it is better to b safe thsn sorry. plus the medical advances, wat is impossible now might b possible by then
personal thoughts
:p

debbie, still got the 6 mths maternity? thoughtthe govt not implementing

2ks
my mil shld know how to mix bah
i hope

Morn! ;)

The new measures seems quite gd.. Heh heh, it helped abit bah..
happy.gif

2ks: Thx for the CL agency ref, will chk with them when we get back..
happy.gif

Erm, hb's those hands on type bah, will go hsework buy cooking wise, has an interest but mainly those ez dishes like frying veggies, luncheon meat etc.. Think can try letting hom cook but just dunno if he can persevere or not..

Tt's why wanna chk out CL too.. Coz think i'll need hb's support the most during tt period so also dun wanna end up feeling so alone n cant even turn to hb if we quarrel..

Will chk with him again.. Heh heh, iron out those qns n moderate expectations..

Chiro: Gd Gd!! Donation's gd if yall dun plan to keep.. Personally i really believe tt there's rm for growth in stem cells research so instead of throwing away.. ;)

Stemcord Vs Cordlife: we signed for Cordlife for both kids.. Think there's no other charges for taking out the cordblood for use.. D lady said tis just the transportation fees etc.. So if wanna bring it overseas then will incur hefty tpt fees etc.. Tt's wat the lady said but we din really pore thru the fine prints.. So if anyone can update on this'd be real gd!
happy.gif

Cda: it depleted pretty fast esp if child goes to ifc, like what 2ks mentioned.. Coz our #1 went to ifc then ended up fell sick v often, used cda to pay for doc's fees.. So ex..

Nursing tea etc: Xuan, i've tried the organic mother's milk tea and the sacred tea.. The latter helped abiy but ultimately i still failed.. Sigh.. Gonna put thgs right this time round!!
happy.gif

money is never enough wif kids.
2ks, yah, maybe becoz u started yr kids wif ifc. i started mine in cc, but i can forsee tat total $12000 also not enough one. school fees, see doc....my boy had been seeing the doctor "amost" every month since attending school. hope he is more immune to the school viruses now...he just recovered from a cough AGAIN...

Hi babymarine, $6000 is given in 3 installments within 12mths i.e after birth get $3000 (within 3 wks from e date of appln), baby reach 6 mths get $1500 & baby reach 12 mths old get e balance $1500~ can go www.heybaby.sg to look into details

babymaine: think $3k should be upon filling up form and should credit to specified bank within a month (just like previous)
then $1.5k when bb 6 months then $1.5k when bb 12 months.
thats why 50%, 25% and 25%

last time was $4k break into 4x (0 mth, 6 mth, 12mth & 18mth)

xuan: yes...blocked ducts is very common. see how u can tahan and unblock it only.
i used hot water compress.
latch and express got difference.
latch will only tell the brain to produce how much bb is drinking, very little extra or surplus.
pump usually can have surplus, cos telling the brain to produce regularly even though bb is not drinking

worried79: i dont use the cda account to pay for medical bills. one thing is also i dont bring PD. i go to my experienced GP usually.

Im staying near my mom thus she helped me with the marketing and confinement herbs. My hb don't do marketing..
There's a lot to be done for confinement! I recalled that my CL has been at the stove every morning for hours. Need to boil Longan red dates ginger water, water for bathing, meals etc..

My mom went to Victoria st there to get longans, red dates, dang sheng, etc etc before I give birth. And really needs to get a lot as my CL is boiling these for me to drink on a daily basis..

For fish, my mom only got threadfin fish throughout my confinement. V costly but it's one of the top grade range fish to consume during confinement. Not forgetting threadfin fish bones to make soups with white papaya and tong cao.. Have to ask the fish monger to reserve the threadfin bones and got to go early to collect it else it'll be bought by others v soon.

For tonic, can consume double-boiled liquor with pork fillet or chicken drumstick. To be double-boiled for at least 2-3hrs before consuming.. Can consume 补腰精, Dom etc before zzz, or add it into ur dishes,.

I misses red rice wine cooked with chicken and sesame oil!!

Come to think of it, I was v kiasu during #1 confinement and didnt dare to consume more ginger/liquor etc for fear that it might affect bb. But for upcoming confinement, I'm going to consume everything and nourish back my health!

Is it necessary to take kampong eggs? I think I've taken normal eggs but the more costly version with added omega, Vit e..

Re: 6mths ML
I think this was being put off cos previously the news did zoom in on this portion and many co are rejecting this, including colleagues/unwed ppl!

6 months maternity leave? how wonderful that would be!!

JC
HAHA, I asked my hubby to give me his 1 week paternity leave but since that's not possible, no way will I let him have my 1 week of maternity leave. I'd rather stay at home and take care of the kids actually. For my #2 maternity leave I enjoyed every moment of it, I really didn't want to go back to work.

Okay. Anyway, 2Ks...ask u ah. How does the hospital bill works ah.

I know upon admission need pay deposit. The rest will be on the day or discharge including doctor's fee. So, the bill we pay on the spot upon discharged? How about the medisave that part??

reddish: u can take cod fish also during confinement. also very good.
okay am going to ask hub to get me cod fish since he is supplier.

actually ginger all that can take, just either feed/pump before eating or 1-2 hours later than pump/feed.
i always request my CL to slice thinly those ginger strips and fry till crispy and i eat with my rice.

its up to u to take kampong eggs or not...
my mil believe in kampong egg, cos its really very fresh. she gets from distributor.

xuan: hospital bill i dunno already cos my hub settle them. medisave also all use his.
i know deposit is $1000/$1200 (cash/credit card). then the rest will be deducted.
if i didnt remember my cash paid out was less than $500. but that was cos i am all natural hor. no pethidine, no epi, and 4 bedder.

2ks
i sotong lor. last time never check, dun know cda can use for cc fees. so sometimes used it for more ex jabs. now abit regret liao. was hoping they will also top up this account, make it at least a few thousand more? the private cc are really very ex, but i think pap one pricing is extremely diff? much cheaper rite?

Back