(2013/02) Feb 2013

Corrs i aso w Dr Tham.. i did ask my hb whther wan to do oscar or not.. he said just do.. whther or not the outcome is gd or bad we still have to face it.. thinkin too much now is not goin to change wat will happen.. i believe everythin happens for a reason

If the outcome is good then of coz that's the best.. but if the outcome is bad.. whther or not to keep the baby is something we have yet to agree upon.. but my hb said, if bad we still keep the child, wont the child suffer as honestly Spore society isnt really tat friendly.. sm hw we are still caught in a stigma & tend to shy away frm these kind of ppl.. of coz having said tat is rhetorical right now coz it hasnt happened yet..

But I feel, that if choose to keep the child regardless of the outcome, at least knowing wat the outcome is, we can & hv more time to prepare for it.. Eg. saving up, plannin for the kid, readin up more & understanding it, etc..

my 2cents..

Corrs
My reason for not doing the oscar is that abortion is not an option for me. Regardless what's the result of oscar. My gynae did explain to me during my first pregnancy that if we have no plan to terminate the pregnancy, then there isn't a need to do oscar. Furthermore, oscar has very high false positive and after the test, the doctor may want you to take amnio test which will carry a 1% chance of miscarriage. This happens to my friend.

Some parents wanna do the test to just get themselves mentally prepared if the child could have down syndrome.

I agree with tiggerbabe....i share the same sentiments and i heard lots of stories too.

Actually its not more on the oscar test, as i have my final say already that i wont be doing it...and i know about the age thingy...anything can happen to anyone....its just that the way they are trying to sell the test, I am kind of not comfortable with it. As to compare to other hospitals n other gynaes that my frens took....they are not pushy at all.

Corrs i tink it was the lady at the counter more than the gynae.. Dr Tham jz say he will see me in 4 weeks & i can do oscar at tat time.. then he pass me the brochure.. then he said Oscar is the gold standard to test for defects, etc..i aso nvr ask him whther optional or not coz hb already said jz do..

Tigger - i thot can do CVS also to test Oscar result is not good? I'm abit blur now leh.. Can advise/explain

babydino....yeah i think so too dear...cos I believe Dr Tham is professional enough and for sure respects his patients decisions. =) Thats what I hope for.

I like him and his nurse. They are very polite and gentle. =)

JUst to share - OSCAR

Talking abt OSCAR, I did that for my 2 previous pregnancies. My #1 was okay, but not for my #2, result out was 1/(few hundred) possibilities. Hb and I were dead worried, my then gynae Dr Ang consoled us that the result may not be 100% accurate and he has seen many cases which bb comes out and developed normally. He said if we want can do a amnio fluid test at wk 20. We did and result was fine. My #2 is 2yo now thou speech is slightly slower, she developing well now.
happy.gif

both CVS and amniocentesis tests are invasive and carry a small risk of miscarriage. CVS can be done earlier at week 12-13. Amnio usu after 16 weeks.

Usu doctor will order for amnio test if oscar results not good.

babydino
my friend did the oscar and then followed by amnio for her first baby and no problem, but second baby after the amnio the baby miscarried one week after the test (actually she felt something not quite right after the test), so the third baby she didn't do anymore test. She was quite bitter about it and blamed the gynae for not helping her when she reported her discomfort and subsequent light spotting. To me, leaving in God's hands should not do the amnio or CVS, since the test may " 动胎气“

Unless you have plans to terminate the pregnancy if oscar result is no good, then better not go for the invasive test. My friend has regretted till now why she went ahead with the test when she has no intention to terminate the pregnancy. It didn't help when her amnio result turned out fine.

tiggerbabe, which doctor did the amnio for your fren? I starting to get afraid now..

By that time when she misscarried, her baby is abt 16 weeks + right?

bb_gen u added me on fb.. did u wan me to add u to the secret group? Tot i asked jz to be sure..
happy.gif
I can imagine the worry lor..

Tigger.. i really dunno whther i will terminate the pregnancy or not.. lets get past the oscars thn see.. but since amnio & cvs is invasive i tink i will discuss w hb & gynae b4 i decide anything..

Hope everythin will b ok

tiggerbabe, so sad to hear your friend's miscarriage. Actually when i went for my test I was in a very terrible feeling as well.

Lookingforward, OSCAR is done between Week 11 and 13.

No need to do amnio or CVS unless doc advises to. These 2 are invasive tests and carry risks.

im doing oscar in next few weeks.. today is my wk 10 day 3~~
Went for my check up & scan last nite & doc say bb doing well~~ he also explain on oscar, which make mi feel alittle more comfy abt it..
Doing it at NUH & he mention its abt $100- $200~
i tot it's like $300-$400??

Luv,
I oso feel so. Was looking at Ying's chart, I realised we do hv a long list of MTBs but wondering where's r they now..

My DH was commenting that I'm getting more n more 'senile', m I too early for this? I oso getting more n more 'bo chap'...
I know when one got pregnant, she will become 'slower' n 'forgetful' but not sure when we will start... Anyone experience that now?

Hi Kris

was unable to locate u on fb.. maybe you would like to add me at [email protected] or
lynette at [email protected] as friends thn we will add u to the secret group..

DHM - u shld join us whn u feel ready.. it's vy interesting ovr at the fb group..

Re: memory loss.. i aso. now very forgetful already.. need to set reminders & alerts ..

Babydino,
Maybe not now... Hvnt pass 1st trimester yet n my case more unstable than the rest..
Will join u guys whenever I'm ready lah..
Pls rem to cm bk here n chat more... B4 my forgetfulness taken over me soon, heehee...

Thanks LuvNHope, no ah, they didn't mention they is a 5th month test, was only told scan n blood test = $300++

Lynette, so cheap mine @ KKH, $300 plus in Aug

DHM, ya mi too plus blur that day I mistake my toothbrush as my comb, what happen to u?

Hi Cheryl!
Of cos u r welcome to join us!
When is yr edd? How many weeks r u now?

Lkgfwd,
How u? Spotting stopped?
My DH complained that he had to told me or call me a few times b4 I can registered. But I dun feel so leh. I alw feel he nvr told me b4... Maybe I was thinking or watching tv when he was talking loh..
I used to be v particular abt the house cleanliness b4 I'm pregnant. But now I can't do any housework n he only do vacuuming n mopping like once a wk, I oso ok now. More n more bo chup..

I'm getting more n more 'indigested' feeling. Alw hv this 'stuck' feeling at stomach area. Juz now had a few sips of Sarsi to help me burp out.. Ahhhh, long time no drink liao....

Babydino: I'll be going for check up comin Monday, if the EDD is confirmed Feb, i will join this group. Thank you!
happy.gif

I am on Duphaston 3 times a day, does it have any side effects?
And i am not sure if i am spotting now, it is not exactly reddish, it's yellowish... anyone know why is that so?

DHM, i long time never drink soft drink liao... wonder how my reaction to it will be? Hard to tell given my wonky taste buds now.

Hi DHM, how's everything gg on with you? I am also beginning to be forgetful liao. Like I couldn't remember the last thing I said to DH, so if I had to repeat myself, I normally can't rem what I wanted to say.

Anyway, am feeling frustrated because am down with the flu and although no fever, I do feel ultra miserable. To top it up, KKH decides to send me an sms saying my Monday's appt will be cancelled coz my doc is on leave. Dunno postponed till when. Was really looking forward to it because I wanna know how babies are progressing. Sorry for ranting, just feeling down..
sad.gif

hi bb_gen,
i feel better at work too, had 1 wk HL last wk. stay at hm very sianz, other than slp is surf net read newspaper & eat. then also da bao till sian, haha. dunno what to eat.

tigger,
yes, i heard that water snake are meticulous too.
happy.gif

corrs,
i'm with ben too. i'm gg for oscar. i kw it's ur decision but from my pt, an unhealthy child can ruin parent's life. imagine the time, effort in bringing up an unhealthy child who may not be able to take care of himself shd parents passed away. then burden will be on siblings or will be dumped to the state. Think abt it.

Back