(2012) Ivf/icsi Mommies Support Group

Actually I did ask dr Loh about ginger too and he also says can avoid or take little. Many diff schools of thoughts I guess... though I'll like to have ginger to purge out the wind. Still undecided on this one....

Indeed, I was also very surprised WBB asked Calvin Soh to give baby water too....hmm...maybe the baby was a tad older already... In this case, pls ignore my water comment, best to stick to bm/ formula... sorry for confusions...

maybe because Calvin soh wife refused to give bb FM given that she dont have BM to give too. thats why not enough fluid, WBB proposed water. i watched the show, i would have give in to FM if dont have BM for the first week. cos bb is so hungry crying for milk.

Tromso, no lah, your reminder to give water is also important in the event that baby's really not getting enuf BM. Can prob tell from the number of soiled diapers per day if baby's getting enuf. If not, then prob need to supplement with some water to ensure minimal risk of jaundice.

Gosh...it's like rocket science this bf procedure. I've already mentally prep my hubby (many times) that I may become a pyscho post delivery heh...

Luv, very true, def easier to work with our own mummies, that's why it's said a mummy's love to her child/ children is unconditional. I really do see that in my parents
happy.gif
And it's going to be payback time soon...to my baby
happy.gif

tromso can give water still, coz to avoid dehydration. that's why the 1st 2 wks very important to check the number of soiled diapers. all these also i learnt from #1 experience.
still remembered i got scolded by the KK doc when she asked me how many times my gal pee or poo when she was warded for jaundice.
first time mummy dont know mah, plus already feel so sad that my gal has to stay in hosp.

Tromso, if bb is on full BM, n she has jaundice it may worsen coz of blood grp incompatibility. So, water or FM helps.

Luv yes, Calvin's wife refused giving fm although no bm
sad.gif
I think baby starved for few days. But every mummy wishes total bf I guess, so bottomline is, if baby really does get jaundice (it's like betting on Big or Small), we shouldnt blame ourselves lah....

Geezz...then its true that its gd to have a tin of fm on standby. Been debating if should feed fm with spoon or use the milk bottle.

Any thots?

tromso,

if u have alot bm, then no need to worry about water..if u dont have much bm, supplement with fm, then check diapers..i think 6-8 per day , or 8-10, cant rem.. if u give fm more than bm, then can supplement abit of water , few mouthful will do cos fm is heaty and drier.

i think for us, if we suffer mental breakdown, is more on trying to push ourselves to have BM, so if u really cant, just try ur best, not to force urself. if cant meet demand, u can supplement FM for a few feeds..slowly ur BM will build up over the days/weeks, then u switch to BM totally.

Tromso, feed with spoon better if u still want baby to latch on. Otherwise u run the risk of baby rejecting the nipple cos it's so much easier to drink from bottle. Unless u're sure u can get a teat that really mimics the human breast. Pigeon claims to lah. But I still tried not to in the initial weeks.

Tromso, I fed from spoon water instead. Just a few sips each time. After seeing the KK Lc, she gave me a bottle of fm to just tide over the hunger for bb. I gave from the little plastic cup like he LC, plus feed from spoon either.i didn't intro the bottle and teat too in case of nipple confusion.

After the consultation with the LC, at least my confidence in bf picked up and I knew what to do like massage, hot towels etc so at least bm supply increased. I didn't have to take out fm to standby.
happy.gif

pierced,

i also went to see KK LC cos got problem bfg, and i find their techniques very gd..but i have a very demanding bb who screams for milk every 2hrs and drinking alot, so i have to supplement FM for the first mth.

My Vera gt jaundice, tested 9+. Nurse say it normal. So nw my bb hv to under the light...

Btw they hv been feeling bb in bottle for fm as I dnt hv milk on 1st day, only 2nd day then I try to latch her... Nw Only hv coloslum. I nv thou bb will reject my nipple.. Is it too late nw?

PD comes everyday to let us know bb update, so the costs is charged daily? And I'm told bb will be given BCG and Hep B injection today. Compulsory?

Faithfully, perhaps u can ask the nurses to change to feeding from spoon or cup to prevent nipple confusion? Not too late to do so now. Dun worry.

Tanny, yes, the jabs are compulsory.

i think the important thing is not to substitute milk for water. not cannot feed water but just that don't overdo it such that baby doesn't get enough nutrients. bm also contains water so doesn't make sense that water cannot be removed by kidney but just that we don't want to overtax the kidney by giving too much water.

My SIL and colleague both use nuk rubber teats (the brown one) and bbs didn't seem to have any confusion. for me, my girl wasn't fussy so i stuck with avent and she was ok. for working mummies like us is good to introduce teat earlier cos sometimes bb might reject teat and go on milk strike when we first return to work. same for water, some babies never take any water for first 6 months and thereafter don't like water at all.

there's no hard and fast rules.. different babies will behave differently so at the end of the day, mummies have to judge and make adjustments. i have a close friend who never had enough bm for her son but she still continued to bf until 6 months by supplementing with fm. For me, supply just get less and less after 1st month and nothing else works.

faithfully,
good to start latching now... even no milk colostrum is good, the first line of defence.

Tanny, yes, pd charges daily. Bcg n hep b r compulsory. They r Other tests like hearing, n can't remember the name of another test, u opted?

Faithfully, have u found out the cost of putting baby under the light? Sorry I don't know the cost as I didn't need to do so b4. But i remember when my gal was abt a week old, her jaundice level was slightly below 15 (if i recall correctly)? Doc just said can go home and sun more often. Didn't need to admit. Maybe cos ur baby's just a day old so they're more cautious.

Reading of 9 actually no jaundice fr wat I recall. If hit 10 them jaundice. Like wat I shared that pd is super ks!! She told us prevention tt it may go up, tt was wat happened to belle.. Ya at our expense. Is a few hundred a day just on that in NICU for belle

Hazel, can we actually turn down Dr Ang's recommendation to admit? Read from somewhere that the parents can't even say no? That's a bit too drastic isn't it?

sugary, yup i find that their LC very good. That's why diff bb have diff needs.

faithfully, not too late to change, in hospital the nurses sure to use bottle. colustrum first and it's very important for the bb to have.
i latch as and when during my #1 stay for jaundice and the nurses still supplement with fm as I do not have enough.
once u are home with bb, continue with the latching. and they can still latch on.

Hazel, serious ah? just to prevent it from going up?
i know my #1 was quite high so had to go back to admit under light but that's KK. so will be different from TMC now.

LuvNhope, she does not seek ur approval before she run any test. She only informs after that. Unless u put a standing instruction n said seek parent's approval. Also, If parent rejects any treatment or insisted bb shld be discharged (saw a case wen belle was admitted), The parent needs to sign a form to discharge the pd's duties if anything were to happen. Ie, indirectly saying is not pd's negligence if something to bb.

Hazel, aiyoh, that's the kind of doc that I'm not really comfortable with. If anything, parents shld be consulted first, shldn't they? Forcing parents to sign a disclaimer... that's covering her own backside only. Arghh... this choice of PD is quite frustrating. Thankfully still have time to think thru.

Pierced, if I didn't remember wrongly, belle was 9.9. Was told hit 10 is mild jaundice. But she said scared will go up next day! So put her under photo light! Yes, If check outside, generally when is v high then admit. If not, just monitor.

I can't really remember belle's level now. But I m sure she told me belle was close to the level to be classified as having jaundice.

Hi luvnhope
Ya, he has been a great help and i cry this morning as i wake him up at 3plus when doing bf for my both bbies then when i want to sleep at 5am, he hasnt sleep so we chat for half hr.. Telling me he wants to bring my elder son home everyday since he wants to eat like a family as now got cl cook for us.. I am the one who dun want after i give birth as i want to rest well.. After wht he say, i feel so bad myself n decide we will bring him hm daily fr next wk n not only wkend.. Then he woke up at 6plus just to go market buy meat n fish for cl to cook for me as he feels bad to asks my mum buy since she dun accept our $$, i asks him to sleep as he still need to work n where got enough sleep if wakeup at 3plus n sleep at 11pm.. N i cry.. Telling him i feel so bad to burden him so much this period n he says i just need to rest well n he will be contented.. Actually i hv been quite emotional during confinement which easily drop tears for small thing.. Like when hb go back to work after rest two wks.. I cry on the first day he goes to work as miss his presence..;,( actually hb asks me wht i want for cut open gift last nite, i reject him as i think he has been spending alot on bbies n me.. All expenses he pays be it hospital bill, maid, cl, cda acct (5k plus) for cord life, bb full mth buffet etc and all purchase of chinese tonics, daily food expenses, bb stuffs etc for this one mth which adds up to be at least 20k plus so how can i make him spend more $ since he has been taking care of me so well this period..i tell him i just want his love n save $ for our bbies will do..;)
Btw, can i learn fr u on how u do bf for one whole year? Really admire.. If lc already clear the milk ducts n milk lump, do we still need to massage so hard ourselves everytime Or the milk flow will be very smooth by then? As i hv been always latching on since 2nd day of delivery but till today, so dun know why still got block.. Sigh.. Wonder how can we be persistant to keep bf when need to spend time massage, latch n pump etc.. How do u do it? Can share? Thk u..

Hi Tromso
Actually i also thot to give my bbies use cup as worry they reject my breast after use advent bottles but when back hm, it is diffcult to feed by cup since it will spill easily, so end up, we proceed to use bottles n my bbies r not rejecting my breast at all.. So i think it depends on individual bbies but u wun hv tt gd of patience to feed bbies by cup in the middle of night.. U just want to quickly feed them n sleep so u can still consider bottles.. When they r hungry, anything with milk they will drink..;)

hi faithfully
So coincident ya.. All pp i know stay in 313.. Are the rest of rms desserted? I oso stay in 2bedded for 2hrs only while waiting for single bedded.. When u stay in double n go to single, u will feel so peaceful n relax to stay in a single room..
At night oso nobody disturb so i feel is worth for $$.. Abit cramp too i feel for 2bedded..;)

Jo3, your DH is so good to you!
happy.gif

Regarding BF, actually, like most other mums/MTBs here, I wanted so much to do TBF. But in the first week of confinement, I was so stressed out by the CL coming to me every hour or so saying that baby was hungry, and by her comments abt baby needing more and more milk as she grows, how my supply not enuf etc. Think I was also comparing with other babies' feeding patterns and wondering why my gal's feeding habits were so different. The stress certainly didn't help!

It's impt to have someone supportive of BFg to talk to during this time. I was lucky to be able to chat online with a gf who also just had her baby.

On the day when baby was due for PD review, I finally cldn't take it any more, gave in and let baby take FM. I kind of regret that becos at the visit, doc was saying that baby's weight was okay and that if i had been TBFg, then at least i wld know that i was doing fine with TBF.

Anyway, from then on, it was a huge struggle within myself to learn to let go of the idea of TBF, and come to terms and be at peace with the idea of giving however much BM i cld for as long as i can. Thinking back, when i recall how badly baby cried when I stubbornly refused to give FM, sometimes i wld feel guilty for letting her suffer such hunger then. I also tried Fenugreek and domperidone, but didn't seem to help much.

So for me, it was partial BFg, but at least I'm happy and proud to have hung on for more than a year. After ML, I pumped at work initially. And since my workplace is near my parents' place, I also tried to go and latch her on during lunch time. And I kept up with the feed b4 bedtime. During weekends, just latch on whenever needed. Thankfully she slept thru the night almost just b4 my ML ended. So no more night feeds by then.

Think this time round, I shall just accept that every baby's different, take cue from baby and be prepared to feed hourly if needed. And to stay stress-free, and have more confidence and faith in myself.

When u think abt how in the end it's all for the sake of baby, u'll just push on and do it. Jia you! You're doing well!

Faithfully, now that I recall more clearly, think my gal was also not that fussy between teat and breast. But i did make sure to use a teat that mimicked mummy's breast, one where she'd still have to use the suckling action to get the milk.

Jo3, do u feel ur breasts are emptied after baby latches on? If not, you might want to try pumping after latching on to ensure ur breasts are fully emptied. And make sure ur feeding / pumping sessions are not too far apart. That shld help reduce chances of blocked ducts. Massage with warm towel b4 u feed/pump. Good luck! And most importantly, enjoy the bonding process!

hazel : no i din opt for additional tests.

joanne : i stay in single room fifth flr.

today is day 2 and i already feel some lumps. so fast..

In hospital now, inducing. Inserted 1st tablet. No pain yet. Now being strapped with ctg. Hopefully can dilate faster. Waiting...

Luv, I thin can coz its a separate department kind. I remembered I had to make appointment to see the LC there

Luv, quite worrying right? I have not dealt with private pds bef since first experience was KK and I just followed whatever procedures they tell me to do.
Only thing coz dr Ang is The one that dr Loh work with mostly unless we request to go with another one like Joanne etc. on one hand, she's like the in house pd since she's stationed there, but n the other hand, if she's just going to unnecessary tests or be too KS, wah! Pocket burn hole.

Joanne, yup, u still have to be hardworking and massage the lumps out even though LC cleanse red the ducts or lumps,
Also, follow like what Luv advised. I did this regularly for quite a while. Also try expressing out whatever milk u have left in the breasts.

For me, I ended up Tbf my gal for 8 mths too, I just told myself to try my best. I think yours is double work so maybe can't compare either. But seriously the first few weeks to months is hardwork coz you have to latch, feed, massage, express, but once the milk supply is established, everything is much smoother. Good that you have supportive hubby as well so that you can be able to carry on.

Like Luv said, even partial bf is also a good way to bond. Different babies really have different needs and intake, I don't even know if my #2 process will be easy either.

Of course, not being able to bf doesn't make us not being a good mummy either. I have friends who can't carry on much too coz of infection, no supply, etc. So don't get yourself stress up over the bf process. It's just one of the many other things of motherhood.
happy.gif

Faithfully, photolight theraphy ard $160/day. I think she only recommends if she sees significant upward trend from day2 to day3.

Tanny, lumpsum charge $800 alto she visits u everyday.

JO3, regular latching helps clear the lumps. But if u r blessed with a lot of milk until bbs cannot empty then LC recommends u pump 2 clear the breast. Light massage as the LC taught b4 latch/pumping oso helps 2 clear.

Back