(2012/02) Feb 2012

Baby vomit milk out is coz of over feeding? My baby committed milk out for a few feeds these two days. It's those merlion type of vomit. And it's right after she finish and I tried to put her upright. It happens even when she bf or drink ebm from the bottle. Right now we are thinking may be because of over feeding. But baby has been drinking this amount for a while and all is fine till recently.. Anybody has this experience?

Hazel, Tks! Will try to do that, me lazy mummy, everytime burp nothing come out so leave it till she fuss.. ;p

Yesterday's was like fountain like that.. So scary...

Hi mummies, for 2nd time mummies think the milk flow does seem better. On 3rd day, after latch I can get 10 ml colustrum each pump. But as I din sterilize pump I had to dump away. Purpose of pumping is more to clear wat bb didn't so as to generate supply.

Would like to share my thoughts on fm too. I realize it may b a good idea to supplement cos otherwise bb cld end up jaundice have to stay longer in hospital. Cos first 3 days supply won't b dat much compared to formulae and so bb won't be able flush out the jaunice causing stuff if insist on tbf. Then end up bb may kena held back. So on hind sight first few days may be better to b a little more flexi till supply builds up through latch.

The LCs at tmc are quite good this round. They keep visiting to check how we are progressing and will show u different ways of massage and latch.

Blucryst, my #1 was like that for quite some time, keep changing bedsheet in the middle of the night, shacked, mattress keep getting milk, now then know got waterproof mattress protector.. Hiaz..

Pd was saying, it's normal for some babies.. And cos I was exclusively latching on, cldnt tell how much she was drinking.. Also did not occur to me she was overfed..

But yesterday's case was different, think first time vomitted cos too much movement, second time think everything come out so hungry, so drink again, and there must be some wind somewhere cos after drinking she made some wierd sound then cld tell she is going to vomit again, third time then ok..

Soul, tks!! Yup, hubby was so worried abt shit going into bb's vaginal he quickly cleaned instead of leaving to nurses. The nurses dun clean v thoroughly one lor, hubby saw old dried shit that must have been there for a while.

Btw, seems that a lot of mummies choosing enfalac.. Any particular reason y? Also did any mummies ever tried all the milk before and found out which is the least sweet?

Hey mummies... This coming wed is my edd and im still waiting. I've got the same question as Xia on contractions. As a first time mummy, I couldn't differentiate wat is contractions. I've been experience backache every now n den, sometimes spreading to the tailbone. N recently, I felt soreness at my virginal area.. The kinda soreness when u r having menses. Is it a sign of dilation? I went thru miscarriage last feb and its the same feeling when my Gynae gave me a pill to dilate my cervix before the d/c. I'm hoping the soreness means a sign f dilation cos I can't wait to get out of pregnancy mode! =p

My milk supply oso nt enough when in hospital. So hav to top up with fm that hospital uses to feed our baby. We buy same brand as hospital gives so that baby use to the taste already. We bought simIlac only after i discharge.

Icy: diff milk powder brand has diff niche. Enfa has the highest amount of DHA, Friso is good for digestion, Nan is good for sensitive babies. If ur the sui bian type then anything is ok actually, BM should form the bulk of bb feed already.

GG: ya me also think milk flow better. Which is a relief cuz I still remember the round the clock pumping the first round!

Icyclaw, I also lazy, burp a while she dun burp I stop! But realized cannot wor.. She will puke alot of milk out. Sure I will make sure I burp her. After 30mina if I see milk in her mouth again, I will carry n burp her again & she will burp again! Google online the various ways to burp bb. Some mtds r more effective for some bbs. I carry her upright against my chest to burp. Can train her neck muscles to be sturdy sooner too. Just be careful.

For mummies who latch on, how would u know that bb is taking enough per day?

My bb latch on for 20mins each side, but after 1hr, she cries again with rooting reflex.

In the end, I just expressed so that at least I can keep track of how much she drinks per day.

N regarding supplementing with FM, its so painful to c her scream n cry but my BM is not enough for her. So I had no choice but to give her FM..

Chilli: as long as she's wetting at least 6 diapers a day, her stool is runny and yellow and she's gaining weight, she should be getting enough milk. Sometimes her crying might not be due to hunger, could be just wanting comfort or she's gassy. You can roughly judge whether bb us drawing milk from ur breast by the sound she makes ah and your breast will feel the letdown. As long as she's not sucking on empty breast she should be fine.

BlueCryst, merlion type of regurge shouldn't be it, I suspect baby too much air. Try to split the feed for baby, e.g feed burp feed burp.. My dd don't merlion. Sometimes will at most regurge a small mouthful like a teaspoon or 2.

GG: my philosophy is simple. We wouldnt want to sleep with poopoo also ma. Lol..

Icyclaw: singapore should be quite strict on fm quality so don't worry. Other brands like S26 and dumex etc also popular one.

Shan, sometimes can take up to 10mins. Belle's burp sound is v loud.. No matter how long it takes must burp for belle.. If not she will vomit alot of milk out after we put her down in 10-15mins. She wun sleep thereafter coz she is not full after vomiting. Need to feed her abit more before she stops fussing.. Change the burping position if after a while bb doesn't burp.

I just bought a play pan $99 fr expo bb fair.. A stranger commented that I din look like I hv just given birth! Hahaha

Also, we massage belle's tummy n back at least 2x a day. One in the morning & once at night. We put some ruyi oil on our palm, rub until warm then use to massage on bb's tummy, downwards towars belly button, back, rub upwards position instead.

Nc & soul, Tks! So informative! ;)
Cos my #1 took Similac n reason was cos my fren used that, quite sometime later asked her y, she told me most expensive shld be best. Faints~ then read somewhere a mother tried all the milk n chose 1 that is least sweet.

Hazel, Ai yoh, I feel so bad now.. My #1, was Merlion-Ing for the longest time and since pd say normal, I didn't do anything till she outgrow it.. Esp since she can Merlion when drinking halfway.. So burping is the trick.. Ai yoh..

Hazel - waaaaa u zai u go bb fair during confinement?!? So shiok! How was it? Big? Gd? Alot pple? Tinking wan go but hb Bo eng nid write proposal. Sianz. So dunno if should go alone not. Heh. Anyways thanks for the cheong Choon recommendation last time!! I finally went there and got my dry shampoo! =x

NC - nice classification! Hope my milkflow tis time will b like urs and GG's! Fingers crossed!

Meifen - ya I also feel below abit swollen. I tink wat I gonna do is everytime my back ache I'm gonna go eat and den lie down to rest. So far all my backaches go away after I wake up though. =( so mebbe body not ready? Just testing us? Keke. Wait till got 5 mins interval ba. Gd luck to us!

Icyclaw - dunnid feel bad. My #1 also merlion quite alot. Feed burp feed burp didnt work for me. I always try burping her alot but she just dun let it out de. Mebbe i burp not so rite. Babies v smart! It's their natural way of expelling air by merlion-ing. Tink of it tis way, bb already "punish" u by giving u cleaning up work! =x

Shan - pump as u would if u were latching. So normally 15-20mins each side. Burping quite loud one. Like how normal pple burp actually. Dunnid scared annot differentiate. Google the diff ways to burp like wat hazel says. I also not so gd at burping so cannot share but recently just read u have to kip the bac as straight as possible so as to facilitate the air bubble coming through. So far burping over the shoulder worked best for me too. I also got commented last time tat I burp too gently the last time round. I tried patting a lil harder and and faster, it did work as well. But on hindsight I felt abit bad cos dunno bb pain or not. So better not try it. Keke.

btw i found another way to stop the merlion reflux thingy for my #1 last time. If bb dun burp, must sit her upright for awhile more. Den also when put lie down i angled her abt 30 deg instead of flat. Can go try.

Massaging also helps alot like wat hazel said. But ruyi oil cannot put too much cos bb skin sensitive. Onli put abit on adult hand and rub to generate heat den after massage bb tummy. I will massage in a circular motion too. Onli clockwise direction. Must Follow intestines route. Also I find bringing cycling bb's legs and bringing up to the chest level comfy for bb. Aids in constipation probs. =)

@FM

I also used enfalac the first time round. continue same brand from hospital cos no gd to switch milk brands. after all I'm sure I'll b BF-Ing. Unless long term feeding fm if not 1 tin of fm dun tink will make much difference to bb. Onli started researching after bb turn 6 mths cos possible to switch to fm anytime. Now tat i tink of it, tink last time I tink too much. =p Got alot samples and even got hb to tabulate out wat content each formula has and which is better in wat in an excel sheet. =x In the end, we started enfapro after found out preggy again and gynae advise best to stop BF. Their dha highest and hb says there must b a reason y it's most ex =.=". But bb dun really like. Onli drink few sips and rather not eat. switched to similac and after nan pro. Bb also dun really like. Till I started on friso den finally she would finish her milk. So actually, all up to bb's preference... All the research for nothing. Also gd la cos enfapro and similac really v ex!!! Hahaha blessing in disguise!

Xia, I need to buy things for belle mah.. Play pan is to put at mil Plc. Now with my mum at poh Heng.. Belle's full mth next wk.. So she buying presents for her.. I go & select.

Ya, actually sometimes really no need to worry too much over which fm. A bit trial and error one. We started no 1 cos most exp, typical Singaporean la, just assume exp means good lor. Some frens told me friso, dumex also ok one, and so much cheaper! And sometimes also depends on your bb preference like wat some mentioned.

Xia- all the best! Ya this round my milk comes faster and my pajamas all drenched both sides cos keep leaking! Am going to sterilize my manual pump see can store some or else like so wasted. LC say must tell your body u need the supply by latching or pumping.

mummies, do ur back, the area exactly behind the breast, feel pain if breast full?

I m having this prob esp at nt, with full breast lying on my back. n after emptying, I'll be fine. just wondered if it a vein that runs across the front breast to the back bones....

my baby merlion out 2 feeds today n realised she is having phlegm. poor thing so young w cough

Ann - when is ur edd? Maybe we can see each other in kkh!! Hahahaha

Mummies - I'm still unable to find the fb page. Can somebody help? Thanks!!!

Hi mummies!haven't been posting as been very busy with #1 and #2. And still have to pump milk. Really not enuff sleep.

Re: burping
My girl also lots of air, drink milk half way she will stop drinking. Need to burp then she will drink..

My bb is now taking 90ml of milk for 1st wk bb, which is a lot. My milk supply cannot keep up, so gonna supplement w formula. Using similac as this is what I'm using for #1.

I also have problem latching my bb. I tried to feed every 2 hrs, but she doesn't want to latch cuz she wanna sleep. Try many methods but she still refuse to wake up. And after she wakes up with enuff sleep, she is always very hungry and gets very angry, hard to latch her again. And i not sure if my latching method is correct or not. Sigh! I so wanna latch my girl. Any good LC to recommend? Someone who is patient and able to help?

Anyone mummies dng confinement experience loose stools everyday? Not sure if its the food my mum cook or the fenugreek I am taking.

Hi all, I did not bring my #1 to see doc on fri cos fever went up to 39+ n after I give bufen it drop to 37.6 so decide to wait n continue to give panadol. Yesterday morning wake up wif rashes on hand n legs. Went to see GP n confirmed he got HFMD. He jus went over to my mil hse to stay til sat. So worried I will get it too. Hav asked my PT time maid to come tmr to clean my hse again. Hope bb come out the wk after so tat all HFMD virur at hm, #1 n me gone then he come out.

orangeroses, jia you! Hope to hear gd news from u.

Hi mummies

Congrats to ur new bundle of joy.

I will b giving birth in apr 12 n will b delivering in TMC. Any kind mummies tat had given birth at tmc can share ur hosp bill? I will b having c-sect.

Pls pm me.

Thank u

Opps, oh dear, hope your no 1 is doing fine. U make sure dun go near him for time being. Am sure u will miss and worry about him but no choice must be careful for little one inside.

Khim, wow, 90ml sounds a lot for week old bb. My 3 days old is fed 40ml fm in hospital during nights. Today I bf her 2 holy for 15-20 mins each side and after dat hand express about 30ml and will feed her as well. Wan to make sure she drink enuf cos dunno how much she took in when suckle. But dunno how long I can keep up the latching, getting a bit painful.

Meifen> Contractions for me started out like menses cramp.. a tightening feeling in the front, but it extends to my back and butt too. It's very regular. If it comes n goes then it could b braxton hicks.

I'm in a weird situation, have been experiencing contractions for the last 24 hrs. I didn't even know until I went for a check ystday and did a ctg. The nurse actually told me I was having contractions every 3-4 mins, and all the while I just thot its BH or just some cramps. But I was only 1cm dilated and since no pain I opt not to admit but go home and wait. Today I've been able to carry on all normal activities despite the contractions every 5 mins. It's not painful, just abit annoying. And it's quite puzzling because everything we've read told us that contractions 5mins apart means must check in hospital already, but in my case it's still early. :S

Gynae asked me to continue waiting for the bigger signs like waterbag breaking or more intense pain. :/ My little one is 3 days late already.

Wk, my bill totals abt $9.4k including $1,3k for bb. Medisave can cover close to $5k. Cash outlay about $4.4k. Stayed in single premier.

GG - hahahah cool! Can hand express out 30ml also? So gd!!! Hope my pjs can b drenched too! =p jia you on latching. If too pain den mebbe rest 1-2 days den continue. Let the nipple rest awhile and It'll get better and less painful once the nipple is used to it! =)

Planet - JW ask u do ctg? I hope she tell me the same when i see her on tues! Hahaha. Gd luck and all the best! When the time comes Smooth delivery ya!!!

Opps - oh dear, take care ya! Hope nothing happens to u and ur #1 get well soon!

Khim - 90ml every 2 hourly? Tats quite alot. Wats ur bb's weight? U wanna try space apart to 2.5-3 hrs instead. See i it's better? cos mebbe she not so hungry so dun wan wake up to latch?

xia, hi5! For my #1 I also went to tabulate the contents of the different milk brands! Haha, thinking of it now, seems quite funny.

mich, my EDD is late Feb- early Mar.

Ann - ya! LoL now tink bac so farnee. But was it useful to u? If ur #1 drink the milk u decide den not so bad. I Wasted so much effort and den no use at all cos bb dictated everything. grrrr! =x

GG, yah lor. Was shocked when the nurse told me. And true, my girl really can finish 80ml - 90ml. But she has her milk every 3 hrs, regardless EBM or FM. I also trying to pump.after rying to latch her, at least telling the brain tt my bb needs more milk....

ny mummies using NUK bottles for their bbs? My girl take forever to finish her milk. Am using stage 1, s size for ebm.

gg

this time ard in tmc,the lactation consULTANTS do visit yr ward to teach u breastfeeding without us calling them?

wat the brand of pamper they used for bb now.last time was fitti.

thx

The LC nv visit me at all when I was warded. TMC uses Huggies diapers brand when I delivered on 25 jan. TMC uses nuk teats & my bb also using that now.. Some times avent bottles & teats too. Yes, she can take up to an hr to bottle Feed too...

I still took care of my #1 for 3 days from Fri to Sun. So really worried I will get it.

Start getting mensus cramps since last evening but its very mild and the frequency is very long. Praying hard he won't come out so soon leh.

GG, yah lor. Was shocked when the nurse told me. And true, my girl really can finish 80ml - 90ml. But she has her milk every 3 hrs, regardless EBM or FM. I also trying to pump.after rying to latch her, at least telling the brain tt my bb needs more milk....

ny mummies using NUK bottles for their bbs? My girl take forever to finish her milk. Am using stage 1, s size for ebm.
But when I use Avent bottle, she can finish within 30mins.

Kristen, I gave birth on sat and only get to see LC on Mon. So I guess they don't work on weekends which is a sad thg for mummies giving birth during weekends.

As for diapers, they still using Huggies.

Khim, my bb takes v long to finish the bottle feed regardless of avent or nuk.... Medela teats she can drink faster but milk will flow out fr her mouth when feeding... I intend to get the 8oz pigeon bottles soon as the 5oz bottles too small for her now. ..

Hazel, thanks for the reply. mayb i will give nuk a try again. when using avent, my girl swallow a lot of air, suck a few times need to burp...
are pigeon bottles better?

Khim, someone posted that her bb used nuk & also alot of air! We also need to burp belle a few times.. Same experiences as u.. When u feed bb, do make sure the teat is filled with milk when u tilt the bottle & there is no pocket of air. My mum just told me, one hr after feed, can massage bb's tummy after warming our palms with ru Yi oil.. Bb will fart more to let out the air in the tummy.l. Now, we do massage twice a day only..

Sometimes, 30mins after feeding n burping & belle still fusses, I will burp her again.. Like wat u say alot of air..

Pigeon is another reputable brand, since I hv the 5oz feeding bottle for avent, medela & nuk, I m thinking of trying pigeon 8oz bottles.. Coz gf told me pigeon is gd. My 5oz bottle, I only bought 2 nuk bottles. The rest of avent 5oz bottles are free.. From hampers & gifts. Medela 5oz came together with breast pump.

Actually, I just bought another 3 8oz medela bottles from USA for S & M teats. When bbs r bigger n can suckle better, I will give medela bottles coz can drink faster... Currently, belle wun choke on medela S teats but the flow is faster than she drinks so will flow out from her mouth during feeding.. Wasteful loh..

Hi, the LC came to visit me 3 times during my 3 days stay including sat and sun. Showed me how to massage and also help to check my latch etc. 2 different LCs but both very experienced and nice.

Khim, ur bb has a good appetite!!! Anyway for bbs just feed on demand, if they wan drink just let them. They will know if full. My CL told me my bb night feed 60 ml now, 3 hrs apart.

Opps, just to share with you.. My 2 boys also gt hfmd when I'm preggie with my girl last dec. I'm their sole care taker so must really practice good hygiene. The younger one gt it from i dunno where cos we rarely went out plus he's nt in any sch.. Was really contagious cos my elder boy got it abt 4 days after the younger gt infected.. Imagine handling 2 cranky boys who can't really eat and drink cos of the mean ulcers and fever. Even though ur no. 1 is nt with u now, still always rmb to wash ur hands, etc cos there's virus still in ur Plc. The toys, bed sheets that ur no. 1 sleeps on, rmb to wash them clean too.

I'm trying out a new brand of milk bottle call Bplus. Its given by my Confinement lady agency as a free gift. When I saw and bought the other size teats for the bottle, the salegal told me the bottle is very good cos its anti-colic. Unlike avent and nuk which is only reduce colic.

Will only get to try it out when bb born and will share the results.
happy.gif

Jus to share that hubby called and told me my #1's pattern change again. He wake up at 4am and run around the rm. He not like that last time leh. Like what my sis told me, bb's pattern will change when they are sick or change of enviroment. Sigh. How I wish all bb's pattern won't change no matter wat happen.

Godsent, Thanks for sharing. When I take care of my #1, he keep digging his mouth (cos of the ulcer pain) and his saliva drop everywhere in the hse, our body and clothings. SCARY! He slim down a lot too cos he can't eat and drink since fri.

Hav asked my PT maid to come tonite again even tot she came on fri liao. Really hav to thoroughly clean the hse and wash all bedsheets incl bb's playpen cos #1 still sleep on it last mth. Lucky I hav a PT maid if not I can't imaging hav to do all cleaning myself. I hav also spray the whole hse with dettol b4 I leave the hse tis morning. Hope all virus gone when I'm bk home.

Wat I'm worried now is if bb born now, I might still pass the virus to him. Doc told me chances of adult getting very low cos we can fight the virus better to prevent it from coming out. But as there might be still virus on me, when I deliver, I might pass it to bb.

Opps, adults do get it leh.. But v v mild coz we can fight the virus.. When my nephew got it, I hv ulcers in my mouth coz I visit him daily.. My parents too.. So, u can still Pass to bb if born now..

FYI, my HOD gana it quite bad from his child.. N was on mc for at least a wk as his immunity quite low...

Back