(2011/01) Jan 2011

I started to fully express out for the past 5 days. Previously I do try to latch her on once or twice a day. But when her mood swings roll in, I get stress. When she rejects me I cried alot of times till hubby also worried that I get depression. So I resort to total express out every 3 hrs. Hopefully the supply can last. If not no choice at least I tried my best to give her the best. I don't want to get into depression over feeding issue haha. My gal just 1 mth old, think there will still be other things to do with her to keep the bond. Now I tried to bottlefeed her when the timing is right. At least can also talk to her then too.

Hi puix2, I did not pump every 3hrs as I latch on my bb. I pump abt twice daily, usually at times when my bb only suckled a little n felt asleep while my breast has not been emptied for at least 3hrs.

Flyingpig, don't stress. Take it easy n try it another day when yr bb mood is better. Think the more stress u are, e harder u find it to accomplish yr task.

Hi ladies, I'm fully expressing now for baby and it's been weeks since I tried to latch her on. When i was latching her on, I was getting very sore nipples and feeding her was always a painful experience. Was very hesitant initially to do a full EBM program as I feared I won't bond with her as much... But for the sake of my nipples, and I still wanted to give her BM, I decided to pump fully. It was not an easy decision and I remember that I cried about it. But looking back, I'm glad I did it. If I delayed anymore, my nipples prob be too sore to even pump out BM for her... Also now I get to monitor how much she drinks... So for me it was a win-win situation. My advice is dun beat urself up abt it if u want to do full EBM program for baby. Of course latching is still the best, but if really cannot, then EBM is the next best alternative.

Cookiefleur, I am also feeding baby with ebm. No longer latching on cos he has jaundice n can't poo at first. In order to monitor how much he drinks I choose not to latch. I cried over it too. It was a very stressful period during the first 2 weeks comtemplating between latching on or ebm. Till now I hope I can still latch my baby one day but my supply seems to be getting lower after 2 days of not pumping consistently due to preparation of full month party. Now I m feeling even more sad. Seems like I can't even feed ebm soon. I find total expressing very tiring. How u manage? My baby wakes up every 2 hours for feed n recently he gets cranky n after smoothing him n changed his diaper we left an hour to rest n before we know it, he crystal for feed again. Luckily my husband is helping the midnight feed. But by expressing n coaxing him is taking so much time. How often you express ? N what did u eat to maintain the flow?

I also agree tat total ebm's logistic is a nightmare.

Hey suzysbear!

Initally I was pumping every 2 hours, but I agree, that was very tiring... Now I am pumping every 3-4 hours. Abother way is to pump everytime baby feeds. That way body is 'tuned' to demand also. How much are u feeding baby and does he take a short time to finish feed? If so, u can consider increasing bit by bit and maybe he can go longer between feeds - around 3 hrs, then not so tiring for u. Of course, sometimes he might still have 2 hr intervals.

Regarding supply, I couldn't catch up with baby at first, and I

had to feed her formula at night. I took fenugreek to boost supply. But of course regular pumping is very impt to maintain supply. On Sunday there were 2 times that I went 6 hrs between pumpings and developed a fever i think it was cos breasts were engorged. now trying to relieve them by pumping very regularly. So pumping regularly is actually good for both supply and ur breasts.

I pump for half hour each time, then after cleaning up, washing and putting bottles and pump into sterilizer, its almost an hour already. If u are on 2hr feedings then 1 more hour u will need to pump again. U can also try the power pumping method to boost supply, I tried it for 1 day, too tiring and my massage lady advise me not to continue cos not suitable for my breasts, so I stopped. Power pumping got a few versions, the one I did was every hour, each time around 20mins... Super tiring.

Oh and u can try to take oats to boost supply too. Oatmeal cookies also can. =) good luck!

hey julie, u say you still BM him.. he slps u will also slps.. the entire feeding time takes 2 hrs.. by the time he demands his next feed.. that would be an hour later wouldn't it? how you managed that? sounds like no time after feeding him.. =(

Mummies,

Does anyone of u know if Avent breast pump funnel has different size to choose? Lactation consultant told me that the funnel could be too small for me n that's why caused sore nipple after pumping. Anyone encounter the same prob?

Hey Cookiefleur,

I am feeding him 100ml every 2 hours. At times he might sleep thru and will feed 2.5hrs or 3 hrs. but very seldom. He doesnt finish all the 100ml too. at times, he will complete and wont waste but sometimes he will drink 50ml and cry 1 hr later, so we feed him the remaining, then another hr he cry again and the cycle go haywire. How much are you feeding your girl? every 3 hrly? I tried giving him extra each feed so that he can drag to 3 hrs but he cant finish.

I am taking fenugreek too. twice daily, you? am thinking of increasing it to twice. Try and i know its hard, to avoid more than 6 hours expressing too often cos not sure if its becos of this, my supply is not enuf. I used to feel very hard after 2-3 hrs and will pump now, 2-3 hrs later, my breast is still soft... wonder if this is the sign...

What is power pumping? how to do that?

Yeah u can increase fenugreek to three times a day... For me, I did the one hour power pump version. Pump every hour for around 15mins. U can try for one day and see how it goes.

I am also feeding my girl 100ml. And she usually last 2.5-3 hrs. There was a period of time when she was not feeding well too, like urs, when she won't complete her feed... And when we saw pd at her one month check, pd said that her tummy has wind, that's why she cannot finish her full feed cos she bloated with air in her tummy already. The pd gave us a syrup to give baby to get rid of the wind. And within one day, she was finishing all her feeds.

Hi mommies, been a long time since I drop in. Happy new year!

My baby is 1 month 8day and I wanted to make an appt for vaccination at end of 2nd month at polyclinic. When I called them, was told the 2nd dose of hep b is not part of 6-in-1 jab. Was told to take hep b separately then the combined jab at the end if 2nd month. When I call sbcc, was told hep b is included! Does that mean polyclinic does not offer combined jab with hep b?

hi mommies

I have just completed my baby 1st month and have 30 leftover bengawan solo cake vouchers, expiring on Feb 2012. Selling at 10% off. Interested pls pm me.

working wife

my PD gave rid wind as well. but i check w her that woodsward gripe water is ok too.

ivftwins

i just got back from polyclinic for his 1mth Hep B. polyclinic dun offer 6 in 1 for 1/2mth jab. you can only take it at the 5th mth along w the 6th mth hep B 3rd dose.

suzybear

is 100ml every 2 hr too much? i gave mine 90ml every 2 hr and was told by the nurse that it's too much, the norm is 90ml 3hr. she suggest that i reduce the feed to ard 75ml every 2 hr. y boy is super heavy weight champion. he is near 6kg (5.9kg)at 1mth 4days and he looks like 3mth old!

hi Chabby,

How much are u paying for the 6 in 1 jab with the additional Hep B taken at 1st month. My baby is coming 3 weeks, i think i need to book appt for her 1st month jab

cookiefleur, what brand of pump are you using? I am using Medela Freestyle and at the end of each pump of ard 20-30mins both sides, i can still squeeze out milk by hand. I usually stop pumping when i see no drip at all. Not sure if its my expressing method is wrong or the pump is not good. Read that if there's "left over" in the breast, its also a cue to tell the body that baby is not needing so much and thus my supply gets lower?

chabby, the last I saw my gynae (PD on leave), he suggested 70-90ml 3 hrly too.. that was when my baby was 2 weeks old... but my boy will be wide awake if he is not feeding enuf and he will fuss and cry or not sleep at night. If he is full, he will usually fall into deep sleep after feed and that's when we can rest too.. that's the cue we get from my boy to see if he is fed enuf. the PD appt is early march. Or shld i just pop into the PD's clinic and check with him on my boy's feeding condition?...

I have not introduce pacifier to him yet. Not sure if its becos he was to suck and therefore he cries.. Hard to read them...

Hi cookiefleur,

If we Take fenugreek to boost supply now, when we stop taking, will the milk amount dropped to lesser than original level? Will the taste of the bm change after taking fenugreek?

Do u take 3 pills 3 times per day? Thx [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ladies,

Just got back from PD. He also gave ridwind for colic/wind as bb's throwing of head backwards after feeds could be sign of wind in tummy. This PD seems an advocate of pacifiers n said there's no harm in giving one to avoid overfeeding of baby who just wants to suckle.

Regarding amt to feed, he says feed on demand n try not to schedule/restrict the intake too much as this is bb's growth period.

Hep B 2nd jab,

Any mummy whose bb took it n had any side effects? Wondering if tonight will be (even more) sleepless than usual.

Lucky mummy, I also suspect my boy got colic as he is cranky n don't want to sleep.

When u go to pd, do u need to describe behavior of ur bb or the pd himself can tell whether bb got colic or not?

Wat do u mean by throwing head backwards? My bb most of the time will stretch himself n lean backwards whenever we want to sit him up to burp him, is it wat u meant throwing head backwards?

Hi Gina, sometimes I only manage to catch 30 to 60mins of sleep, whereas sometime I try to steal some sleep when he also fell asleep while suckling half way. I try not to move him when he falls asleep because he would wake up n demand for milk when I try to shift him to his cot, so just let him lie beside me. If he wakes up, I'll just stuff my breast into his mouth. The shag part is e changing of diaper as he poos at least 3 times in the middle of the nite.

Luckymummy: there are no side effects of hepB 2 nd jab as told by nurse and my baby was fine after that [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

puix,

PD said there is a range of behaviours for colic, might not always have all the classic cry a lot symptoms. In my case we were describing her throwing of head backwards (yes the leaning backwards by herself after feeds) when he asked if she can hold her head up. Then he said it cld be wind in her tummy.

sherill,

thks for the headsup. keeping fingers crossed. apparently it's the next jab we have to look out for...

Mummies, do u let your bb sleep through the night until bb wakes up n cries for milk, or do u follow schedule and wake bb up every 3 hourly to feed milk? My bb's last feed was at 9pm, n now it's 4am already n she still hasn't woken up for milk.

cookiefleur,

You mean we can take up to 3 fenugreek pills, 3 times a day? I am using GNC fenugeek pills.

I have been giving mine a pacifer too, whenever hes cranky even though he's clean & fed.

Yotsuba - i wake my gal up every 3 hrly during the day to drink, but at nite will only feed if she wakes up herself.

Mummies - May i know what type of routine do you follow? E.g. When yr bb wakes up, you will feed the bb. Does your bb fall asleep again immediately after drinking? Or play for a while before falling asleep? Usually how long are they awake after drinking before they fall asleep again? If they are awake for quite a long time after drinking, need to feed them again before they sleep?

Julie, wah.. that leaves you no time to do much things right? =S

Yotsuba - during night, if my boy wont wake up for feeds i let him be.. then i can sleep longer. =P but so far he wakes up regularly every 3 hrs at night crying for milk. =(

Sputnik - usually my BB will fall asleep after feeding, occasionally he will kick around and stay awake cranky still. I will give him pacifier, he will suck and slowly drift off to slp..

usually if i give pacifier and he's still very cranky, refuse to sleep for the next hr, it means he's still hungry. then i will give him additional milk of 20 - 30 ml.. this usually puts him to sleep.

Yotsuba,

sounds like ur bb is on the way to sleeping thru e nite! So good! Why wld u wanna wake bb? I wish mine wouldn't wake too but, sadly, she is very 'on' when it comes to filling her tummy.

Sputnik,

if it's the early morning feed like 6+ will try to get her to sleep again. So far so good on that nap, but sometimes the later cycles she will stay awake for very long. Maybe I missed the window period to put her down then she became overdtimulated.

If she's up for more than an hr after finishing feeding she usually needs a smaller top up feed before sleeping, which makes it hard to keep to a routine for her. Now it's mostly feed on demand for me. How does your bb behave?

ladies, how you all let ur bb sleep more,my bb seems to be awake either day or nite, i tried every means to coax or pacify her but is useless..i am very tired already, my bb already almost 4 weeks already, and afraid that if bb dun have enuff slp will not grow well is it true, need advise.

hi mommies, how much milk is ur baby taking in now? my boy is 2 weeks old.. and he's taking in 100ml already.. is that too much huh? i can't cut down cos he will scream his head off if he doesn't get enough.. =S

Sputnik - During day time I will latch BB. He usually just sucks one side n falls into sleep.. I will feed him when he wakes up, sometimes he can sleep more than 3hrs and I have to pump out my milk. Night time CL will be bottle feeding him...but after tat he will still look for human pacifer...

For me is usually take Q from him and does not wake him up every 3hrly for milk. He sleeps from 1.5 hrs to as long as 4 hrs before crying for milk.

My CL commented that bb is confuse with nipple and bottle, sometimes at night bb will suckle hard when the bottle is being fed as if nipple like that, causing alot of milk to flow out. Anyone have the same experience?

Gina - my boy is also abt 2 weeks old. He's taking 80ml to 100ml also.My CL also restrict his intake, always say he's drinking too much...

Fenugreek> three times a day, one capsule each time.

Suzysbear> I use the freestyle too and I agree I can still express some milk out by hand even after pumping for 30mins. But I use quite a low setting (L3) cos my nipples are sore, so not sure if that's the reason why.

I am waiting to see my gynae now, I suspect I have mastitis. Sigh! Engorgement didn't go away and the hard lumps beginning to hurt quite bad. Then I read that mastitis is accompanied by fever which had 2 days ago, so I'm quite worried now. =(

Luckymummy – my gal tends to fall asleep after her feed during the day. But at nite she will be awake after her feed. Think her time is topsy turvy. Was thinking if I shld try and keep her awake after her feed during the day so she will sleep more at nite.

Gina – but if bb fall asleep after feeding, does that not mean that bb sleep almost all the time? Cos when they wake up, hv to feed them straightaway, so if fall asleep after feeding, that means sleeping almost all the time. When my gal was abt 2 weeks old, was already drinking 90ml. U are feeding FM or BM? Mine is on EBM.

Poor Mummy – My CL said cos bb so young, shld try and wake them up every 3 hrly for milk during the day, cos they may not wake up automatically for milk and prefer to sleep, so may not get enuf milk. She said she knew of this bb where the parents just leave him to wake up himself then feed him, and the bb was very small even after 1 mth and keep falling sick after that. When I was at TMC, the nurse also wake my gal up every 3 hrs to latch on, but at nite will feed on demand when she wakes up.

hi mummies, i'm back with new set of problems with baby. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Feeding:

baby is currently 4wks old. she's currently on 2 hrly feed (1 hrly feed during 5 to 9pm) - ard 10 mins on each side with dozing off in between + burping, thus every feed will take around 30 to 45 mins. have wanted to go on ebm, but with the frequent feed, i hardly have time to express and even if i express after her feed, the amt is miserable, not mentioning that my nipple is very sore (there's once the skin actually came off) after every expressing (i'm using medela freestyle, anyone has similar problem?)

how do you ladies combine latching + expressing? in the meantime, suspect that my left breast is not producing enuf milk, cos after 5 mins of suckling on the left, baby will be very frustrated [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] and seems to be tearing my left nipple away.

during the new year period, due to house visiting, have tried to use formula milk while outside as the feeding time is too long. everything seemed fine, until we reached home, baby vomited big time (it's as though she's having a milk bath, it's super scary [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] )

Vomit:

could the vomit be due to the formula milk? or could it be due to phlegm as can hear some hard breathing when she's sleeping at night. and when she vomited last evening, there's some thick clot of milk (phlegm?).

Sleeping:

Baby seems to be a light sleeper esp during the day time. she sleeps for ard 30 mins and she's awake looking frantically for her feed. is this normal? how to coax her to sleep longer?

PD:

anyone has any recommendation of PD in the east side, as baby's PD is fully booked till apr [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Whisp,

regarding vomit problem, my son had it 2 weeks back. He was throwing up thick milk/phlgem like substance. PD says is reflux/heartburn. Burp baby throughly and was also advised to give gripe water (1teaspoon water with 1 teaspoon gripe water). He is still cranky at times but no longer throwing up.

thanks chelleybaby, i've juz started the gripe water this morning after her bath. how often do u feed ur baby the gripe water? i've tried to burp baby for ard 3 mins (before she gets cranky) or till she burps, but usually no burping coming from her leh [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

by the way do mummies who are breastfeeding your baby, do you feed your baby plain water? i did not, but baby's face is having red spots (some seems to have extended to the side of the head and ears), the elders kept commenting that it's due to heatiness, and i should feed her plain water. Any advise on this, pls?

Whisp,

I really am very onz when it comes to burping my son. I can spend up to 20mins burping him. If he gets cranky I try to rock him, sooth him until he calms down and try again. Cuz I don't wanna risk another vomit episode, v scary. But if after 20mins I'm still unsuccessful (though success rate is 80%) I'll hold him upright for another 15mins before putting him down. Yes it's v tedious, esp at night when I'm really so sleepy but no choice.

Was advised to feed gripe water if he cries and throws his head back like in pain after a feed cuz tt means he has a lot of wind in his tummy. I try to burp him first, if he really super cranky I'll give him the gripe water and burp him again.

I'm also full breastfeeding and I don't give water no matter what elders say. They say baby hiccup must give but I insist not to. Anyway are the red spots acne like? Cuz it's common in babies and will go away at 3 mths.

Sputnik, my 2 weeks old boy is a slpy baby.. he sleeps most of the time lo.. haha.. he only wakes up 3 hrs later when he feels hungry.. i read that babies usually sleeps a lot for the first 2 weeks.. i feed him BM, EBM and FM.. haha.. Baby got Jaundice, they say feed him some FM milk to get rid of his jaundice quicker. EBM cos my mom can help feed him while i try to steal some nap time in the afternoon..

whisp, does the red spots look like pimple and tiny acne? If it is, i read that its quite common and will go away 2 - 3 mths later.. have to wipe BB's face with water everyday to rid the acnes..

Spunix - Maybe I shld wake him up every 3hrly to just to set the routine because I am going to work after 2.5mths instead of taking 4 mths leave at a go. It will be easier for my maid I guess.

Whisp, I really cant be bothered to burp my boy.. But my CL is very diligent in burping and I sometimes thought its quite excessive even then he will still give out a loud burp sound. So I guess it's good at least helps to clear the wind in the tummy.

I think the red spots are ok to leave it. My boy has some too. It will go away, but new ones will grow somewhere else too.

whisp - u can try apply california bb calendula cream on the red spots. When my gal has red spots on her face, i will apply this and it seems to help.

Burping - must try to burp bb even if it takes very long, if not very high chance of vomiting. Also, if wanna put bb down after feed, let bb lie on his/her side (whether burped or not), cos if lie on back and they throw up, may choke on own vomit.

Hep B jab:

there shld not be any side effects after the jab. so dun worry.

babykoh

he only took a hep B jab. polyclinic only allow the 6 in 1 to be taken in the 5th mth. (along w the 3rd dose of hep b) it'll cost $360

here's the breakdown of the vaccination cost in polyclinic:

1st mth Hep B: $22

5 in 1: $360

provenar:$160 (can use medisave)

rotarix: $90

suzybear:

if bb doesn't puke, there's no need to see a PD. i asked mine cuz i was at the PD and during the vaccination at 1st mth, the nurse say my bb is very big..6kg. so she suggest 75ml for 2hr..instead of 90ml.

whisp

30min for 1 feed? have u try feeding more? i know this is hard esp when u BF. i'm feedin EBM and FM. so it's easier to monitor. if u r BF, may need to get a lactation consultant to help u. (keeping bb awake and how to know bb is full..kinda things)

Chelleybaby

i salute u on the burping. i only tried 5-10min max. then carry for 15-30min like u do. thank for the sharing on gripewater. but will 1 to 1 ratio make the gripewater feed too sweet? i dilute it w more wate fearing that he'll develop sweet tooth.

gina

100ml is alot for 2 week. what is the interval of each feed? i went thro that phase too. is it too much wind? u may want to try chelleybaby's method of burping and gripwater.

i experience that before. then we realise he has alot of wind and the milk dun go down properly. so he end up vomiting after such a heavy feed.

sweetie

am not able to help u much on that. you may wan to seek help on that. dun talk to the baby if u wan him/her to sleep.

u may wan to try the old wives mthod..

(get ready to laugh but my aunts swear this work. my mum actually doing it now on my bb)

1. take a pair of ur hubby bottom. (a clean one that has been worn before)

2. turn it inside out.

3. let ur baby sleep on it as a pillow.

hi mummies,

any of you letting your bb slp in an air conditioned room ?

My CL is leaving next week and we normally sleep in an air con room with #1 and was thinking how to juggle the nite feed with #2.

Gina,

My BB is abt 3 weeks old now and is taking 120ml of EBM every 3-4 hrly. So far if we reduce her feed she will have her next feed earlier or couldnt get to sleep properly.

Regarding wind in tummy, can try to lightly tap bb's tummy and if it has a very empty sound, means there is wind in tummy - like pok pok sound. U can try a drop of ru yi oil to help soothe the bb, just a tiny drop cos it might be too strong for the bb skin.

Chabby

tt 1:1 ratio is the advice frm the PD. Anyway I don't really feed the entire 2 teaspoons worth each time. I feed just a bit to calm baby down. Also worried abt him being "addicted"/ over reliant on the gripe water.

thanks for the advise, guess i'll leave the red spots alone for the time being.

as for the burping, i must "jia you" in putting more effort to get the burp out from my baby to prevent the scary vomiting episode.

for feeding, i'll feed till baby turns away from the nipple (usually ard 10min), and after she rejects the "re-offer", and give me the "steam" and sleepy look, i take it as she has enuf, nope? do i need to bf her longer as she grows older?

chelleybaby,

did you pd advise what is the max no. of times we can feed the gripe water? the packaging instructions mentioned 4 times, thus it's 6hrly once?

Whisp,

nope, PD didn't say max no. of times. He said as and when needed is ok to give. Tts why at the beginning I gave quite often but I tried to be more patient with burping him and bit by bit he was less cranky after feeds. So over time I only use the gripe water as a desperate move when he really really won't stop crying after a feed.

i checked with PD, she say 100ml is the max for 2 weeks old baby, she mentioned that some baby just needs to eat more, but i shouldnt feed him more than that..

his weight gain is also within acceptable range so far.. so i'll leave it as it is for now lo.. if he demands more milk.. i dun think my supply can meet his demands lo.. sighhhh...

Chelleybaby,

The Woodward gripe water can be used for bb under 1 month old? Since the box written only the dosage from 1-6 month old...

Back