(2011/01) Jan 2011

Thanks grumpus!

Luckymummy, my boy also poo once a day only. I give him ebm n fm. He usually poo in e morning n it's one whole lot. Worried whether dis is ok for babies.

Mummies, my boy still wakes up for milk ard twice at nite. Normally once every 3 hours n he's qt otd. I usually feed him 100ml fm at nite. But dis 2 days, he's waking up only after abt 4 hrs. I din wake him up at his usual 3-hr interval so by e time i feed him, he's v hungry n will b v cranky. Do i need to increase his intake by say 10ml? Or shld i continue to wake him up every 3 hrs? But i also hope tat he can sleep thru e nite cos it's v tiring to do nite feeds...

Poo frequency:

Usually if bb on full BM, the frequency will be higher as BM is easier to digest. But averagely bb will poo about 2 to 3 times a day.

Luckmummy:

Changing of FM has to be done slowly, otherwise will result in constipation in bb. Recommended to start with 1 feed a day then slowly increase before fully changing over....

Night Feeds:

I've been told that to reduce the number of night feeds, we can feed the bb with water. This will help reduce the number of times bb wakes up in the night for milk.... Of cuz, this can only start when bb is about 6 to 8 weeks old... taught by my aunt... can try if you want... I intend to...

Hi Daphne,

My bb is called Nathan and he's 51cm. Thanks

Mummies, it's abt 20 days since I delivered but I only have 20ml from both breasts. Really dunno what other remedy. Feeling stressed abt little breast milk and also CL is super jia lat. I heard bb crying at 8 and she fed bb so I thot she woke up already was tired and I went back to sleep till 10 and night before she actually slept at 10 and got a shock. CL went back to sleep and it's a few times already. Now I have to force myself to wake up at 7+ everyday in order to supervise her. Super tiring

Mag, are u pumping or direct latching? Either way, u need to nurse or pump regularly for your breasts to produce more. Don't give up!

Sputnik,

u can definitely get a lot more done if she's sleeping in the day. Mine used to be like that in the first mth. Now her pattern has changed n I'm not coping well with it. Funny thing is that when I enlisted help n went to my mums place for the day, she slept thru e afternn!!

LZZ,

mine also does a whole lot at one go, so was thinking if that equals to the same as those bb who poo a lil bit many times a day?

Akaysha,

mine was already constipated from the start so once every day is actually an improvement for her. I tried increasing water intake but still the same.

Btw the water feeding that u mention is to be done in place of the nite feed? Or daytime to fill bb up?

Mag,

which day are u at? I used to average 20ml per pump from both breasts as well when first began. Started on domperidone n fenugreek n my output has doubled. Now at day 32 n its much better. Even when I latch directly bb can last abt 3 hrs if I dun rush the feed n let her cue the end of the session. But I'm alternating with formula so as to give my

nipples a rest.

Sputnik,

first 2 days on my own after mil left were difficult n stressful. Literally cld not do anything except cater to bb. Feed rock sing burp. Definitely wasn't pumping cos I was also on the verge of running out of sterilized bottles with her marathon feeds. Now if i'm stuck with her awake I just latch to solve the immediate prob of breasts being too full. Everything else waits.

My gal is 28 days old. She had been turning my life upside down when come to feeding time. Tried to latch her on. Sometimes she is ok and can last for 40 mins both sides. Sometimes she needs 2nd helping by bottle even after 40 mins. Sometimes she simply cries and get cranky and refused to latch. I had cried and got stress over trying to latch her on directly. Plus Mil don't seem to like it when I latch her on - probably coz then less time for her to play with baby. So recently I resort to pump out and others feed her. Seems like baby not bonding with me anymore coz she cries everytime I carry her. Sad ah.

Flying pig, dun be stressed over Bf. U can try to latch her at nite. And pump in the day. Dun worry abt bonding, bb will always hv that bonding w mummies as we hv carried them for 10mths. Dun brood over her crying when u carry her maybe she needs change or feed.

Mag, u can try pumping milk after latching. It can b pretty tiring but after a while u will produce more because ur brain will know that there is dd so ss will come eventually. After which u hv to consistently pump 3hrly to establish the milk flow.

Haiz I had been pumping day and nite. Because hard to pacify her once she gets cranky - as if I trying to kill her with my nipples haha.

As for carrying her, she stops immediately once in laws took over to pacify her. Plus no need to change diapers etc. She just stops or subside less than 1 min once in their arms.

Hello mums, I need yr opinions on whether I shld ask my CL to leave early. It's day10 of my confinement today.

So far, of the 10 days of observation, this is what makes me wanna ask her to leave.

1) My bb cries hysterically when she tries bath or wipe him down. Everytime without fail. It pains me and my hb when he cries n cries v hard.. so much so that I wanted to bath him myself if possible. If i rem correctly, my #1 wasnt that bad.. he only cries if we do it at the wrong timing, ie when he's hungry. But I also understand that each BB is different.

2) Since Im latching exclusively at night when Bb cries CL will carry him to me. She did that for the first night and not the subsequent nights coz she ask me to latch lying down as I will be more comfy. But as a result, she slept thru the night even when BB poos, I am the one that cleans him up. I get lesser sleep than her day and night.

3) She's been complaining and criticising abt my maid since day 1 and every other day she will scold and scold her as if she's the mistress of the house. My maid fell sick on the eve of CNY and I Didnt know as she did not inform me. My CL out of good will, gave her medicine without informing me. It's only when I realise that my maid was napping then CL told me she ask her to go sleep after medication as she was having fever. I was rather mad at both. Totally disgarded me.

4) She doesnt cook exceptionally good food. Her soup are rather bland as she claims that she didnt add salt as she's cooking healthily for me.

5) Since she practically only does cooking and showering/ wiping down for BB. She's quite free actually thus she's constantly on the line and talks v loudly... It does not affect us actually. But given her lousy work, we rather she talk less and work more.

On the plus side of her - She's not calculative. She cooks for everyone of us if we are at home.. but subsquently my hb will prefer to eat out as he does not like her cooking. She also helped out with the laundry when my maid was sick.

Chabby,

Thanks for sharing the info on wt gain, have been busy with my mum & sister in town, so hardly online. How r u?? Wow 5kg plus, well done chabby..try SUDO cream, it works for amber.

Chelleybaby,

Your mum & my mum same same hheheheh..”issit got no milk”..funny

Julie,

I dont have that but heard from a friend that its blocked milk ducts. Get the massage lady to rub it off.

Mag,

I have been taking fenugreek pills, nursing tea & lotsa of ikan bilis & fish soup. It helps to increase the milk supply. Hope it works for u.

Hi mummies,

A belated Happy CNY to all! Been busy so haven't had time to log on here. Travelling with baby that is on expressed bm is hard work cos lots of logistics to take care of!

Its time like this that I envy all you ladies who manage to latch on successfully. GOOD JOB!

Been trying to cope without CL too... the first day was crazy! So in the end, bo pian cos when I pump, I cannot attend to baby... so every morning I go over to my mom's place...

But now we have introduced pacifier to baby and she seems more settled... Today is my first day alone with her, and so far so good *cross fingers*

Anyone also introduced pacifier to baby? What are your thoughts? I was really hesitant at first, but in the end, it seems like its for the better good.

Cookiefleur and all other mummies,

just wanna check what do we hv to pack when we go out with baby on EBM? Do we warm up the milk at hm then put it in those keep-warm bags? How long does it last?

chelleybaby,

if u warm up the milk first, the milk can only last one hr. cos once warmed up, ebm needs to be consumed within an hr. i used to bring the milk out fresh from the fridge in those cooler bags with ice pack.

and i also bring a thermos of hot water and a plastic mug. when time to drink milk, just fill the mug with hot water and warm up the milk.

Chelleybaby,

I also use a coolerbag like grumpus and bring a thermos of hot water and a cup to sit the bottle of milk in.

Regarding the 1hr - I use the 4hr guideline instead if the EBM is from fridge section and not freezer section. So far been ok for baby and pd also said it's ok. My best friend also used the 4hr guideline last time and her son is now 8mths old. If EBM spoil u will know. So always do a smell test, even if it has been out for only 1hr. And baby will also reject if milk is stale.

And if I'm going to be out for quite a while, I will bring my pump and extra storage bottles out too. Logistical nightmare!!

Would like to exchange two similac Mum $3 vouchers for some nipple cream ( sample size or actual size). Pls pm me if interested. Thks.

hi mummies, sorry to interrupt, I m from the july 2010 thread . I have the following to sell , please PM me if interested.

1) a BN Lansinoh HPA lanolin for breast feeding mothers. 2Oz. $13\ expiry sept 2011

2) Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags 25pcs. BPA free $8.50

cookiefleur,

I'm thinking abt introducing the pacifier if bb's fussiness continues.

When do u give the pacifier? After feeds when she still roots? Does your bb have long wakeful periods? Does it work then?

Cookiefleur, I also have introduced pacifier to my girl at 3.5 wks, cuz she was getting more and more cranky. I was also very hesitant at first, but it was my sis in law who advised me to do so, so as to avoid overfeeding the baby esp when we just want to keep feeding her just to prevent her from crying nonstop. And it did help somewhat, cuz if she REALLY is hungry, she will either spit out the pacifier or continue crying even if we let her suckle it. If she falls asleep with the pacifier in her mouth, I'll normally pull it out after that, or she'll just automatically let go of her grip on the pacifier n let it drop out of her mouth.

Oh ya, another reason why I plucked up the courage to give pacifier was because my cousin had given pacifier to both her kids and their teeth are still as straight as ever, which dismisses the myth about kids having crooked teeth if they r too reliant on pacifier. She weaned them off when they were about 2-3 yrs old.

Luckymummy, for me, I only give the pacifier to my girl after she finishes her regular feed and is still fidgety and starts crying. She does have wakeful periods as well, but if she doesn't cry, I'll just leave her in the cot and let her play by herself. So my idea of using the pacifier is only during the time when she cries.

Hi mummies, i hav also introduced pacifier to my boy at ard 3 weeks. He was stilk cranky despite being fed n simply dun wan to sleep. After i gave him pacifier, he immediately fell asleep. I guess pacifier gives him some sort of security. Now when he's cranky, i will give him pacifier n he'll settle down after a while. So it helps to save some effort from me n i hav more time for other things.

Today is e 1st day i'm taking care of him myself. Hope everything goes smoothly...

flyingpig> smell the milk first, if it smells sour, then throw it out. also, if you dun mind, can do taste test. if milk is good, it tastes a bit sweet, like sugared milk... if its bad, it will be rancid, just like if cow milk has gone bad.

luckymummy> like yotsuba, i also give pacifier to baby when she has fed already but still rooting around or crying. sometimes, when i change her diaper, she also fusses, so i give her pacifier too, so the change can be more peaceful. hahaha. if she is calm/settled then i dun give her the pacifier at all cos she doesn't need it.

LZZ> good luck on ur 1st day!

oh yes, to add on to yotsuba's pt abt overfeeding, i find that the pacifier also helped regarding this. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Julie, I am using Mdm Fauziah. She can do massage immediately even when I had c-sec. She use a tummy binder instead of the traditional binder then. And she will avoid the wound area. Plus she is good in clearing engorgement. I got engorged on mine 3rd day and immediately called her to come as early as possible once I got discharged from hospital. Nice lady who will share with you on breastfeeding tips and parenthood. She was even very nice to guide me how to breastfeed and waited for me to finish before starting my massage.

Hi flying pig can u pm me yr massage lady contact? As my massage lady charges are high and she has not push back my uterus at all [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Lily, how did u know ur uterus has not been pushed back? I did my first massage the 4th day after natural birth, the 5 th day I had the secondary pph. So I was frightened n not yet engaged the lady for 2nd session. Though I am not sure if the pph was related to the massage...I m in my 3rd week now...

Hi puix2, what's pph?

Today is the first day of my massage... My week2 of post partum... Didn't want to do it earlier coz don't want to cope w engorged breast, painful wound n oily body...

Anyone knows if massage can help in urine incontinence?

Poor Mummy - according to my massage lady, if the womb is not pushed back properly, will result in incontinence cos pressing on the bladder..so massage shld help i guess.

Poor mummy: not sure if the massage will help, but my gynae says to try to continue do the pelvic floor exercises.. Shld help with the incontinence.. Takes awhile for bladder to relearn.. Dun worry.. Jus hv to bear with the inconvenience for awhile..

yotsubato/cookiefleur/LZZ,

Thks for sharing on pacifier use. So tempted to start right now! Bb was up from 9am till now (2pm) and I'vebarely been able to sit down. Only reason I can log in and post is cos my mum is holding her for a change. And she finally fell asleep. So I dunno if she just wants to be carried or will the pacifier work w/o us needing to carry her. Can't imagine if I'm alone again today.

Hi Spunix, that's what my massage lady said so too. But since it's my first day today she says she will not do that for me first, will only push it back on the 5th day. Meanwhile, she advises me to lie on my side to get up of the bed instead of upright as it is putting pressure on the bladder.

Pacifer - My bb also shows signs of comfort sucking, last week still able to fall asleep after milk and leaving him alone... not totally cannot.. if he dont suck he wont be able to fall asleep... But im so reluctant to give pacifer.. still enjoying this moment.. the "wanting mummy" feeling.. hahaha abit pervert..

Hi mummies,

Sorry to interrupt.

Juz helping a couple who want to hv a bb asap (as advised by a Master).

Anyone who will be holdng their 1mth baby shower soon ?

Who dun mind this couple to join in the baby shower & let the young couple mummy carry the bb for 15mins ?

A hongbao will be given during the bb shower.

If anyone willing to help, can PM me ?

Thks !

Mummies,

Do you have contact for confinement lady that is available immediately? My CL last minute has problem to enter to Sg. My mum can not help, MIL too old to help. I am at loss now. Discharge tomorrow, don't know what to do

just gave birth to my baby boy on 27 Jan.. tried breastfeeding him since birth.. but recently, he always fall aslp halfway when i'm nursing him, i tried waking him up by tickling him everytime.. he will continue to nurse..

but after nursing for 30-40 min.. he will still fuss and cry for more milk.. i have to end up topping his feed with formula milk..

very tiring, cos every time i nurse him plus additional FM.. feeding time takes almost 1.5 - 2 hours.. then 2 hrs later.. he cries for milk again..

very stressed already plus not enough slp.. i wana give up BM and just pump and feed him with EBM..

was wondering if i stop BM now.. and continue only later when he's not that much of a sleepy baby.. would it help?

has anyone tried before?

Mummies,

Do you have contact for confinement lady that is available immediately? My CL last minute has problem to enter to Sg. My mum can not help, MIL too old to help. I am at loss now. Discharge tomorrow, don't know what to do

Hi Gina, I'm facing e same problem as u. My bb sleeps after suckling for 5 - 10mins. Usually, I'll just let him sleep n I sleep too. The worst is that he can drink, sleep n poo. After that, wants more milk. This can take more than 2hrs.

Hi Gina, I got the same issue with you. Baby always crying for 2nd helping even after 40mins of latch on. And got to handle her crankiness. So now I do with EBM. At least can monitor her intake and less cranky. Plus my in law will help to bottlefeed and coax baby to sleep after that. Though it is more troublesome coz all the washing and setting alarm in the nite to wake up to pump, I find that I am more happy.

Hi julie, are you still breastfeeding him then? i got problem nursing him in lying position.. he normally latches well with football hold.. so i cant slp when he slps.. =(

oh and i have lumps on my right armpit area when milk started coming in, its quite a huge lump and very uncomfortable. but after the massage lady came to massage me, the lump is almost gone..

hi flyingpig, when did u start EBM? how often do you pump? hb is ok with me not latching on, but kept reminding me not to regret later cos of the lack of opportunity to bond. but my baby's crankiness is getting to me, making me very pek chek and not enjoying the process at all.. sighhhh

Hi Gina, Julie, flying pig, I have the same problem...but after bottle feeding, now has to depend on my baby' s mood whether he is willing to be latched on. Sometimes, when he is crying for milk n once touches the nipple, he starts to scream n rejects the nipple.

Do u all strictly pumping every 3 hrs? I find it very tiring, especially if next week my CL going back, I have to pump out milk n feed bb, how to rest n sleep?

hi mummies, do you have any problem burping the baby after fed? no matter how i try, my baby just don't burp and he tend to hiccup after that.. =(

Hi Gina, I'm still bfg my bb. Must jia you, dun give up. When I hv my first bb, I also found it very tough n wanted to give up. I'm still not very gd in my latching skill even though this is my 2nd one, so sometime still feel e pain in my nipple. I also hv this horrible lump on my left armpit which some mummies told me it is blocked milk ducts. I used cabbage n hot towel to soothe it.

Back