(2010/11) November 2010 MTB

Babywonder: thanks thanks... will give it a try probably this weekend to see if he wants it... i gave my boi one "wang zai xiao man tou" but apparently he dun realli seems to like it leh :p

Ching: me trying out also ...

mummywong10 > The 1st solid my fren introduce to her boy was egg yoke. According to her, it is suppose to b gd for the brain development. Nt sure if its rt.

Jovialz: Today I have provided my mum the BM which I pumped in office yesterday instead of the frozen BM see whether the situation will be improve. Glad to hear that as long the number of poo is not more than the number of feed is fine.

Ching: Same here my mum is telling me how come my baby is not taking in the nutrients frm my BM.

For mummies who have started to feed on cereals may I know how many hrs can last for the baby to go hungry?

my daddy tried to give my bb gal to lick chocolate when she is 2 months old...lucky i scold him and stop him in time..but he still can give me the cheeky face and say that she likes to eat sweets...-|-""""""

My grandma give me eat all kinds of snacks last time including chocolate ice cream...end up i always cough and got asthma in the end

hpc > Thks for the link. Jus called thm. Quite expensive leh. Jus one small area alrdy over a hundred. Hmm...still thinking if I shld get it.

Bam, egg yolk can.

If bb is allergic to egg, it is usually the white that is the allergen. I cannot rmb how old then ok to feed though, but must test if bb is allergic to whole egg b4 taking the MMR vaccine. Can't recall when the MMR vaccine shld be taken off hand.

Charlene (zeezzen) : i suspect my son is teething now. so he will cry during night time n keep carry him...i did bought the teether and gel for him to rub his gum..how abt yr son? keep crying? how many months of ur baby? how many oz of milk he drinking now? my son drink lesser than before liao..last time cna drink 120~150ml now only 80ml~120ml...depending on his mood!!

hi mummies...my son dun wan drink milk totally .any mummy can help me or encounter same problem with me? bcos his pooing is 3 or 4 days once so i must force him to drink but he keep refuse it...please help....

Koori,

Ur bb is only abt 5 mths right? How come so fast feed porridge? when we start solid it is cereal first and porridge will start 1 or 2 mths later de if I remember correctly for my #1. also milk shd be bb main food intake till they are 1 yrs old if I do remember.

In my view, ur nanny is not those that really like bb or children thus they bbsit. In fact, she give me the impression tat she is only trying to make $$ out of it. I got a fren, who decided nt to send her bb to the nanny coz before even starting with her, the nanny request for 'bonus' at the end of the yr saying since normally people will get bonus at yr end.

I ever ask my nanny, she say this is nonesense lor. The only 'bonus' nanny hv is the ang pao we gif her during CNY lor.

Hammiebao,

the best ting is MIL will likely nt try funny things on their children but they will try it on their grandchildren de. Which is wat mine did to my #1 before lor.

check if ur boy LS. If so, say loudly to make sure ur MIL heard it.

Diana, hammiebao, dont knw why the elders like to do such things.. maybe they think its fun?

FM:

can we mix their FM? i switch bb milk to enfa and find tat her poo always so little and its dark green. looks like v heaty to her too as she needs alot of water inbtwn feed. so i buy back nan for her again. can i mix the 2 fm since i alrdy haven finish the enfa?

and nowadays bb pee seems lesser, isit due to the FM or dehydration? any mummies can help?

baby2010, hw much milk is ur bb drinking in total now? my girl takes abt 600+ ml milk a day now. as she drops her nightfeed. so only can feed her 5-6times a day.

Chris, yah magicseal is not cheap. I think I spent close to 1K for just a few panels in my house. But for the fear of lizards, I will. U know the HDB toilet windows type right? With the handle to open and close the window. I got them to saw off the handle, open the window and then put the net, so that there's ventilation at all times and no insects.

Chris (christine77sg) :do u mean dream feed for water or milk? for milk , Yes, 9pm and 12am+ is dream feed for him..i am believe he is fussy when drink during day time in nanny there.bcos i take care him on weekend so i know his pattern..keep to c here c there.. i am using platex bottle now is using slow flow , i tried to change fast flow teats but he is choking bcos my son very impatient one..so i remain the same teats. if u re referring to water..no lor..he know is water even i mix some milk..he refuse to drink!!! sian...

cherrry (cherrry) :nanny told me my son can only drink 90ml and interval abt 2.5hour due to teething but during night time..dream feed for him is 120ml. how many month of yr gal? weight?

Baby2010 > Last time my boy was on milk strike, we will try to dream feed him even during the day. Tat means we try to match the timing of his fd with his slp time. So we fd him either whn he is vry sleepy or carry him up fr his playpen while he is sleeping n feed him. Normally he will suck. Bt after he recover fr milk strike, this causes anthr problem. Cos he needs to suck to sleep n he doesn't lik pacifier. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Bt he has improve alot nw.

cherry > Just to share, cos so happen I was also asking mead johnson on hw to swtich fr A+ to enfapro. thy sy cant mix diff formula in 1 feed. We hv to replace the whole of 1 fd and do tat for 3 days, then gradually 2 fd for anthr 3 days n so on until all the fd is replaced by the new formula. I hope this hlps.

baby2010, she's 4.5mths now, 2wks ago, weigh 7kgs. ooh teething, then their intake will drop de cos feeling uncomfy?

Mummie I just resolved my nanny crisis yday after talking to her for long time. I told her to feed every 3 hrs once and only give cereals not porridge. Told her this is Pd instructions. Since yday till today she's been following the schedule and she said bb is taking 200ml each this time. She sort of found a better way to let bb drink without fuss to lie high on pillow and slightly sideways and can finish within 15mins.

She told me her reason to increase mkt rate is becos her gp of nannies at her area all charging $750 and say she spoil market but I told her frankly I can't afford tat amt and I could get a maid with tat price and put my kids with mom. Will top up her rate once I start solids. Meanwhile am

Monitoring her now giving her benefit of doubt cos she took care of my no.1 for 2 yrs and been so far so good only duno why this happens. Also she been quite truthful she actually told me she's only feeding twice guess it's not her ill intentions to harm her if not she will lie when asked. Just told myself always monitor and keep communicating to her on nb progress.

Those engaging nannies wat rate u all paying now?

enmummy: my girl taking similac since day1 and so far so good...sometimes poo after 2 days and pooping on 2nd day is the longest...can say ~60% of times still able to poo every day lah..

Koori, where is your location?

My nanny charges $750 cos she said market rate is $800 and her friends tell her don't spoil market. All the story same leh..hahah I did a research before engaging her and market rate around $600-$650. For mine, the $750 is exclusive means she only takes care of my baby and when it comes to eating solid, she will not mark up. So the rate will stay same but I will buy my own ingredients and rice etc for her to cook. I tried bargaining with her but end of the day, I figured that I really need the help and I am quite happy with her so far. Very clean and responsible and not calculative with the time, give and take. I can be at ease when baby is with her. She is also very accountable, everyday will automatically report to me what time baby drink and qty and whether she poo poo...

I live in Punggol, so I am also aware nannies like her in my area or sengkang are in great demand cos of young working couples.

Hello ladies..

Esp those working nursin mummies, u r wearing maternity bras or normal bras w underwire at work?

I'm still wearing nursing bra, wo underwire, coz I scare of blocked ducts but hor these bras don hv as much support n paddings.. I'm wondering can switch back to normal

underwired? Any prob w milk supply?

Btw sighz supply really dip, 1 more 3 pumps, yield lesser than 600ml liao [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Shan, am nursing working mom.. like you, my supply drop, now only less than 500ml per day. sigh~ am wearing nursing bra, cos its easier to pump at work, i have once wear unwired bra that i wore during preg, but quite troublesome while pump cos i have to take out everything. soo, my own conclusion is nursing bra is easier.. no support no support lo, anyway my boobs so small.. hahaha~~

I only pump thrice after going back to wk. We don't have individual cubicles at wk and my working hours are irregular so even if I pump I dunno if I can bring the ebm in time or not. Pump at 8 or 9am depending on what time I go to wk, then 5 or 6pm and one last time before I sleep. Supply dropped drastically. Now the total add up to less than 400ml. I think I'm gonna stop soon cuz supply so little and I find myself rushing home before wk is done sometimes.

My boy has been drinking v little after his 6-in-1 jab last fri coupled with rotavirus! Sometimes he consumes only half of his previous intake of about 150ml. He likes to play by himself and flip around. But wakes up a few times for night feeds to accommodate for the shortfall! How to rectify?

Shan > I m wearing those non wired bra too cos i heard that wired bra will affect supply. but hor after starting work.. ss is dropping and dropping..from 800ml a day to 600+ml... haiz just try to maintain as long as I can..

Sigh.. Today my mum skipped one of my girl's feed. Her feeding time have been fixed for the last 1.5 mths. I'm already back at work for 1 mth. Schedule also printed big big in baby's rm. And she told me she tot girl was thirsty at that time , so gave her 50ml. Of course she wanna drink, it's her feeding time. My maid saw why got a bottle the amount so weird and told me about it. I had to ask my mum. Sigh.. Wat am I to do? Hope she knows better now.

My mum also been giving my girl egg yolk for 3 days already. Initially I told her like hv rashes, she kept insisting already hv before that. Today she tell me, better stop for awhile cos rashes getting worst. Aarrgghh.

Baby waking at night : had a sleepless night yesterday cos baby kept crying and only wants to be carried. Dunno what's wrong. Suspect either teething or stomach not good. Hope this doesn't happen today.

Toothache : do any breastfeeding mum have toothache? I started to get it since Monday. Initially I tot just heaty, so took more herbal tea. Then I think about it, I stopped my calcium supplements for abt 2 weeks cos sick n think I'm heaty. Could it be cos lack calcium so toothache?

ermmm> oh yr mum's another one who chu pattern ah? but since own mother easier to tell her what not to do? but why feed bb egg yolk so young?

Bam:

Egg yolk 8 months, egg white after 1 year old.

Personal experience: My elder girl has no issue with egg yolk but she suffered an allergic reaction (red angry rashes) to egg white right after she turned one. We were spooked and kept her off eggs for half a year. Tried egg white again on her at 18 months she was was fine. Thank God she grew out of the egg white allergy, if not there would be a huge lifestyle adjustment, as she won't be able to enjoy cookies & ice-cream when she's older. Thus I would start my younger girl on egg white only after 18 months.

Eggs are one of the most nutritious food but be especially careful with egg white as allergic reactions are due to the high level of protein in it.

Mummywong : my mum is known for her forgetfulness. But all written down and already been this schedule for so long..... Egg yolk is cos that's what my nieces grew up on and not too long ago there is research on the news that say babies have a window of opportunity to not get allergic to eggs between 4 and 6 mths. My girl is known to hv heat rash prob so could be heat rash or allergic rash. We'll stop the eggs and wipe her down in afternoon n see how.

Junk food:

I love them but I eat them when my girl is asleep or she would wanna try too. Sometimes I tell her it's adult food and it's not suitable for her now. ;p

Starting solid,

For my case, I wouldn't consider it as substituting a milk feed with cereal/purée. Now I would give her the cereal/purée (2 flat "milk powder scoop" mix with water/purée) about 1 and half hour after the late morning feed (before she is hungry again, normal feed interval is about 2 and half hour). Then I'll let her give me the cue (cry ?) for next milk feed.

Initially when I'd just start, I only give 2-3 baby spoon of apple puree for a few days. Then I add the cereal to the puree for another few days. Then I try the rafferty's garden pear and apricot (for 4months+). After each trial, I follow up with milk feed. Bottom-line is I just want to introduce different taste (thus only a little at a time). Just remember to introduce ONLY 1 ingredient at a time and give it at least 3 days to see if any allergic reaction. This way, it's very easy to know the cause of the reaction.

Some books to share. All provides good advises and recipes.

1.First Food.

author: Anna Jacob, pauline chan, Samantha thiessen , Janie Chua, Wong yuefen

Publisher : Marshall cavendish

2. The First Completr Nutrition Guide for Asian Parent - Feed Your Child Right

Author: Lynn Alexander and Yeong Boon Yee

Publisher : Marshall cavendish

3. New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner (200 quick, easy and healthy recipes for your baby)

4. Good Food for Kids

Author : Dr Penny Stanway

Author : Annabel Karmel

Pumping at work,

Sad to say, the lesser no. Of pump = lesser supply. But please don't be discouraged. Just do the best you can and don't be overstressed. Remember, stress and lack of sleep also contribute to reduction in supply. Just remember, little is better than nothing.

Amount baby takes,

Sometime baby will take more (during growth sput), sometime they'll reduce their intake (back to 'normal'). As long as they are gaining weight accordingly , no worries. Baby are very straightforward. Hungry they'll cry for more. My girl only takes in about 70ml of BM each time but she prefer shorter interval of 2 and half hour. But the last feed before at 8+ she'll drink more.

Baby2010,

Is your baby fully on BM ? If yes, 3 to 4 day poo once is ok.

Share an experience of my friend. They kept feeding and feedin baby milk (overfeed each time) that baby see milk only, she cries. In the end, they wait for baby's cue and only feed on demand and stop feeding when baby wants to stop. From that, they know's baby's routine and slowly adjust. Since then, they don't have problem feeding.

Oh, slight mistake in my post above. My girl takes between 70 to 90 ml at 2 to 2 and half hour interval. She is 5 months old at 6.5kg (birth weight was 3.4kg).

irene: ok i tink i will ask them for a sample too...hehe...btw has your gal flipped yet? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

jovialz: did you try the rafferty garden puree yourself? i bought the banana milk one and tried it myself...found it kind of too sweet-sour taste compared to cereal which is bland...no wonder my bb give the "yucky" face when i feed her...hahaha...i don't think i want to eat it myself...guess i have to mix with cereal next time so that the taste is not so strong...hai..no choice got two more pouches to go...hehe...

Koori: no wonder market rate is high! I often see a bunch of them with toddlers and babies gathering at the market over breakfast and coffee, soya bean drinks. They talk and laugh loudly but I never pay attention to what they talk about. Ha ha ha... Want me to be your spy? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] to see if your bb's nanny is there? Wahahaha....

Jovialz: I used the same books. On top of that I also use Annabel karmel's too, plus my own concoctions! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jovialz: U bought the books or it can be borrowed at the library?

My bb gal is 6.6kg @ 5mths. PD say she is on the light side and ask me to intro cereals for her to increase weight instead of just feeding her BM. But i haven start anything yet..cos too busy with work..haa...

Baby2010: i encounter the same problem. My boi used to drink 170ml at one shot.. now have to split to 2-3 times to feed this amount or even lesser sometimes... is ur bb on pacifier.. if u are try letting him suck pacifier first then take out and put in the milk...the next resort is to dream feed...

Cherry: my boi on enfa... i think the poo is the same as u mentioned but i dun think its heaty cause the moment he start FM he is already like tat... but i did feed water between feeds...

Pumping at Work:

My supply also lesser than before but I just continue as I hope to do it for a year. My freezer now is filled with packs of 250ml frozen milk on both freezer shelves so I am not that worried yet. Unless I need to travelf or work then my supply can be wiped out very fast. Last 2 days in KL, I just keep pumping and pouring glasses of milk onto my feet in the shower to Moisturise my feet!

Re: Nursing Bra or usual Bra

At home, i wear the very cheap Eternity Bra that has no support but very comfy. At work and when I go out, I wear a mixture of Sorella underwired nursing bra ($49), Mothercare non-wired nursing bra ($49), and Marks & Spencer non-wired non-nursing bra (2 for $49). When I pump or feed, I just pull up the bra....hahaa

The wired bra doesn't hurt me as before cos now I hardly have blocked ducts, but nmy fave is the Mothercare one. All these are like Tshirt bras and have support so won't look "lao lao" under our work clothes.

Back