(2009/06) June 2009 MTBs

tubbymummy: Thanks for responding, you know exactly how I feel! We've been battling with her weight since birth- it took 3+ weeks for her to get back to birth weight. And lately she has been rejecting the bottle (EBM), crying and screaming the moment we put her in position to drink. (So stressed- maybe she knows I'm going back to work so she won't cooperate!)

Are these the milestones you are talking about: http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc

She still hasn't flipped, although she will sleep on her side.

tiggerkaitlyn, yes, baby centre's list of milestones is good as a guideline. Otherwise there's the list in baby's health booklet as well. If in doubt, we can always check with our PD.
happy.gif
My girl's weight has been monitored by her PD since 1.5mths, but so far, he (and his stand-in PD) has reassured me time and again that I don't have to worry so much, she's healthy. So now I have finally learnt to relax haha...

And she slept through 10pm-6am since 2mths, so maybe that's why she's even skinnier than your girl! Missing out on 1 feed since 2mths... She also took about the same amount of time to regain her birth weight (but PD told me that we shouldn't look at birth weight to do comparison, cos there's high level of water retention at birth). She also hasn't flipped yet, but is trying. It took her quite a while to get her neck more steady, maybe because she isn't as "solid" as other babies? She still looks wobbly, and can't figure out what to do with her head when she tries to flip hehe. My mum told me not flipping yet at this age is fine. She told me I was a late flipper as well, and I was a good sized baby
happy.gif

oh & J&J wipes! just nw go gaigai 4got fd jayden, n he go without fd 5hr no mk noise alamak! remind mami mah mk sm noise lah!

hi mummies,
also long time never post.. started work abt 3 wks ago and really feel like taking no pay leave and stay at home..

now i am busy planning for my renovation and new house.. not much time to read forum..

seems like some mummies here are concerned abt bb weight.. i am too but it is becos she is too fat... there is one pd who told me (i rather dont name) that my bb is fat.. currently she is close to 9kg at 70cm at 4 mths and 3 wks.. and some relatives have been rather sarcastic in their remarks.. and point me articles after articles that she is unhealthy... xian.. not that she is drinking a lot.. ever since we switch to NAN HA, she is taking not more than 150 every 3-4 hr

bbjun,
i happened to go kiddy palace today and found out that they dont sell the single munchkin food grinder already. they are now selling the set which consists of the food grinder and the mesh feeder....

ecmom, the fair is at the supermarket itself.

fatmom,
then pd got tell you how to slow down bb's weight gain not? those people also very itchy mouth one. people see my elder son also commented that he small size and asked why parents big size the son so small size. parents cannot have small size genes in family one meh... sometimes we really have to take a deep breathe in order not to be too angry.

Just noticed that my boy has pink urine once in a while for the last 2 days, anyone seeing the same thing? Wonder if it's caused by the rice cereal the nanny introduced.

fatmom,
hm pls dun ah bush me, 9kg infact is over weight. I believe your baby is healthy right? dun worried once they more mobile their weight gain will slowdown de.

artist,
rememebr robinson is selling the bottle with 20% disocunt is more cheaper then the BP lei, you want to call robinson and check instead?

dolly,
pink urine? never encounter this before, maybe you call PD to check. it does sound good lei.

EC mom,
thanks for informing but the BP is more cheaper leh. it's selling 2 bpa avent bottles for $26. usual price $36.90 and after 20% still $29.50

fatmom, don't worry. My nephew is 10 kg when 4 mth and stop at 10kg till he 1 years old. Infant or toddler may reject solid and with the increase mobility, their weight will not gain so fast.

Hi all, my son was also born june this year. I'm SAHM.
Dovey, my son wakes up every 2-3 hours at night.
11 pm. 1 am, 3 am, 5 am then 7 am wake up dont want to sleep.
He'll fidget and suck his hands so i feed him. sigh. i also dont know hat to do as other children are sleepin thru the nite already.
he's on TBF and weighs 8.5 kg at 4 months.
i read somewhere babies grow at night so they need the calories from milk

i've prob wonder if any mum also facing it.

my boy wants me to carry him all the time, even during his naps.
once i put him down he'll fuss.

how? i cant do anything at all!

Hello Ah Ching
do you use sarong? if not why not try wrapping your boy when he naps? My boy used to want me to carry him all the time and when he is in deep sleep, i would put him down but after then he don't sleep long. He soon grew out of the phrase of wanting me to carry him while he is sleeping. Now i just pass him his bean pillow or bolster, turn him to the side and pat him to sleep. If you don't use sarong or your boy don't like to be wrapped maybe you can try my method of putting him side ways to sleep if not on tummy?

Hi jling, thanks for your advice. I'll try tomorrow.
My boy sleeps with me on the bed at night, no sarong.
So do you rock your baby before putting him down on the side or you just pat him on the side without carrying him?

Ah Ching,
no problem. I just pat him on the side without carrying him.

Since he is sleeping with you, you might want to try to close your eyes when he look at you, pretend to be sleeping, see if he does the same by closing his eyes while you continue to pat him.

Morning Mummies,
Just want to ask is watching Barney or Thomas and friends type of DVD good for our babies? When to start? I don't know how to go about to teach my boy besides flash cards and form fitters

Morning jling!
I tried your method to put bb to sleep on his side and pat him but he fought me so hard and cried... sigh.
In the end still gotta carry him to sleep. Only managed to put him down after 40 mins..
BB got no prob going to sleep at night. I'll rock him 15 mins, put him down and he'll sleep.

You show BB flash cards already. My boy not interested. Can't sit in his rocker chair for long. He also dont like to watch TV. Max 15 mins.

I read books say the best form of teaching is mummy playing with BB. No need other stimulation.

Just FYI for mums, I read this article last weekend in the Straits Times. My daughter is also quite big for a 4 month old
happy.gif

Article from Straits Times, Oct 25, 2009

Babies are usually not classified as obese. Instead, they are either large, a good size, small for their gestational age, or weeks of pregnancy.

Paediatricians whom LifeStyle spoke to said children up to one year old are simply too young to be classified as obese.

The issue of when the size of a large baby becomes a concern was raised by a recent case in the United States where a baby was initially denied health insurance for being overweight. Four-month-old Alex Lange tipped the scales at 7.7kg, falling into the 99th growth percentile for babies his age. But he was still declared healthy by doctors.

Associate Professor Lee Yung Seng, senior consultant at the University Children's Medical Institute at National University Hospital, said: 'It's quite ridiculous to call a baby obese. The term has negative connotations and we don't want to cause parents undue worry. Generally, we are more confident about assessing any potential weight issues when a child has reached one year of age.'

Associate Professor Mary Daniel, head of the Neonatal Ambulatory Service at KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) said: 'Babies who have poor growth before delivery and born with low birth weights often have rapid catch-up weight gain in infancy.'

Infants are never put on any restrictive diet, regardless of their weight. 'There is no such thing as low-fat milk for babies. They need nutrients to grow,' said Dr Ang Ai Tin, consultant paediatrician and neonatologist at Thomson Medical Centre.

She added that for large children up to two years of age, they could go on to shed excess weight 'because they are very active and constantly running around'.

Public relations manager Karen Lai, 33, is the mother of two children aged two and four, who are 'perfectly healthy and fine and extremely active'.

'A few years ago, everyone thought my son Bijan was chubby and they were always pinching him. But the doctors never said it was a cause for concern and he is leaner now,' she said.

Nevertheless, some go on to develop weight issues as toddlers between the ages of 12 and 24 months. Parents can monitor their children's growth by the act of what doctors call 'eyeballing'.

This is done by comparing their children to others of the same age to see if they are noticeably bigger. And even if they are so, they are not necessarily overweight.

tubbymummy: thanks for sharing about your baby girl! I usually meet babies that are quite chubby, so it's good to know other mom's that are in a similar situation as me. It's also good to hear your PD isn't worried about the weight. My PD spends less than 5 min with her, so even when he tells me "it's ok" I don't know if I believe him, ha ha! Does your baby drink well? I don't think my daughter ever drains my breast so I have to work hard and pump to keep my milk supply up.

It is great for the mom when their baby is sleeping through the night right?
happy.gif
But we also have to worry about them not eating enough.

ah ching: is your son actually drinking when you feed him at night? My daughter will suck her fingers but when i offer her my breast she just plays with it. So I know she is not hungry and I won't offer her.She will give up and fall asleep.

Also, she sometimes complains in the afternoon cos she can't fall asleep. So I will put her on her tummy. Once I flip her over, she instantly falls asleep, but of course you have to be very careful.. as long as I can watch her the entire time I will try it.

<font color="0077aa">createjoy, my sign says "Mummy Nura is preparing baby Alya Misara Feast. Thank you to respect intimity. Room will be accessible in 30min." btw, my daughter's name is Alya Mysara. i pump in the pantry so room is still accessible all the time, i just cover up with a shawl.

ahnetsan, wah welcome back to the workforce! who's taking care of Jarius? is it your ILs?

re spraying: for me it came after i started pumping every 3 hours and at home and weekends, Alya have free access to boobs, every 2hours i let her suckle. so now i feel full every 3 hours which is good!

re weight gain: don't worry too much. and tigger, no need to mix with FM if your concern is to gain weight. as long as she's healthy and diaper output is okay, don't worry too much.

re flipping: does turning 360degrees count? haha! i put Alya in her crib and 2 minutes later she's turned her body around..but her head like left behind..haha..so funny!</font>

caramelle: it's hard to gauge what is sufficient diaper output
happy.gif
Usually she has 2 poops a day and the other 4-5 changes, her diaper is wet. What about your daughter?

Flipping- my baby is turning 360, like a fan ha ha! But not flipping either

Hi tiggerkaitlyn,
Ya my BB will drink milk, suck for 5 mins then want me to put him down to sleep.
no need to burp.

my BB lazy. whenever i put him on his tummy he'll try to flip onto his back.
But he dunno how to so will whine.

thanks for advice, i'll try again. he's now sleeping on my chest.

caramelle: it's hard to gauge what is sufficient diaper output
happy.gif
Usually she has 2 poops a day and the other 4-5 changes, her diaper is wet. What about your daughter?

Flipping- my baby is turning 360, like a fan ha ha! But not flipping either

Ah Ching,
Maybe your baby still need the rocking motion. I think he will grow out of this stage sooner or later. Your baby very clever, he knows that in the day time you will tend to him, at night he is good boy and will fall asleep after rocking for a while.

Not really show flash card, my ipod have those download for free baby flashcard so once a while i just show him if he refuse to sleep in the night. Aiyo my boy likes to watch tv so much, he will just stare at the tv no matter how much i tried to talk to him or distract him. Sometimes I block his view, he will try his best to more his head here and there just to watch the tv. Headache

hi jling,
i don't mind rocking him to sleep but he wants me to carry him all the time.
even when he's awake. dont want to sit on his rocker chair or lie down.

actually you should be glad your boy like to watch tv. at least you can do other things.
when you dont want him to watch then switch off the tv lor ;)

Ah Ching,
same, my boy also wants to be carried all the time, but now we just put him in the jumperoo and he can stay there for at least half an hour. Do you have the sling? sling him where ever you go or when you are doing things? Or use toys to distract him?

Ya lor haha but next time headache when he is a toddler.

tigger, just 1wk ago, someone still asked me "full month already?" *faint!* And I thought my girl's finally big enough to avoid the question lor hahaha... Sleeping through the night is great, but yes, will be worried about whether they've had enough milk for the day. I now give her bedtime feed in a bottle, so I know she's going to sleep on a full tum
happy.gif
Another thing to worry about when babies sleep through the night is milk supply. I noticed a drop in my supply when she slept through. Very headache, everyday is a struggle to keep up... I try to pump twice more between her bedtime and my bedtime. Btw, your girl's diaper output sounds fine
happy.gif
If you're not very confident about your PD, why not consider change to another one?

Ahnet!
happy.gif
How's work, coping ok? How's MIL with J so far, any problems cropped up yet?

jling: ya i sling him and bring him go shopping centre cos got air con. sling can be quite warm.

but now he is more than 8 kg, cant sling as very bad for my back.
you can sling and do housework?
BB in front blocking my hands how to do housework? cooking also very dangerous.

i try to put him on his rocker, on tv and give him toys but he max distracted only 15 mins.

i think maybe he wont want me to carry when he learns how to crawl. that will be another prob liao ha ha

jiling: Think TubbyMummy once mentioned we should not let our babies watch tv before 2 yrs old? Sound a bit tough but I guess tv hinder their learning

ah ching: looks like you've a attention seeker! why not harden a bit of your heart and leave him there longer and longer? Think Cassey did last time, leave him in the cot, when he cries for a while liao, then bring him up to sooth him and leave him there again.

hi mummies, was outstationed for a while. Now heading to Thailand for a few days.

Tubbymummy, thanks for the advice, will go there n check out the cereals when I'm back after my Bali trip the week after.

Sob sob, the busy travel work schedule is making my milk decreased tremediously! Too stressful. Furthermore, baby is very cranky lately after we brought her to kl for 5 days 4 nights last week. Past few nights, she slept at 2am and sleep really little in the day. Worried for her cos I know not enough sleep will have adverse effects on baby. Sigh. Now that I'm going away, she will be home with mil and helper. Hope she will do well.

I also read about no tv before 2 and I think reports are from
Australia. And vaguely remember that they also faced problems with kids below 7 for watching too much tv - obese. Guess, I will keep my gal off tv till she is 2.5 and only allow 30 mins for 2 times a day.

Any mums here who faced cranky babies at night? Please give me some tips. Thanks

tubbymummy,
J seems ok, i hope!! jus had a big quarrel wif hb the other night, and it was really a big quarrel lor...i even mentioned the word 'divorce' out!

but, i dunno if J finished his milk every time... and im not sure if dat mil really feeds every 2hourly and am not sure if J doesnt cry too much during the day! i dunno anything at all! yet all my hb can say is tell me to relax lah, nothing is wrong wif J, he's happy everyday and dat my mil is taking good care of him!!! i mean, for god's sake, dat's ur mother , not my mother and i simply cant trust her at all!!! so we ended up quarreling....

every night, i do J's night bath, to spot check if there's any scars or marks or injuries or bruises! but J's skin recovers very quickly, so im also not sure if there was any bruise or watever at all in the first plc....

lovelytulips was telling me dat sembawang has infantcare centre leh...but hor, like too far for me leh... and haf to be on waiting list! gosh!!!

dolly, my boy is a persistant crier.
I tried the cry it out method but he can scream and scream until got tears and hoarse..
i really cant bear to do it...
sad.gif

ahnetsan: there's an infant care at jalan mata ayer which is not bad and no waiting list

ahnetsan, yes... infantcare ctr in sembawang just opp my block... i see a father bringing his baby there every morning... u need me to check anything for you? i dunno how it's like inside though, cos they on the aircon and it's all covered up.

my gal cries a lot at night sometimes... especially on weekends, cos we bring her to in laws place... mayb unfamiliar environment so she feels insecured... can only carry and rock her, last weekend she cried for around 30 mins, crying and screaming at the top of her voice... see already so heart pain.

dovey,
thanks! can help me check wat's the ratio there? as in hw many babies to 1 babysitter? wah, they on aircon full day?

dolly/Elaine
Thanks, think i won't let him watch tv too often then.

Ah ching
Yup, same my boy also 8kg+, coming 9kg. I prefer to sling him when i'm going out to nearby places. I think my back and neck cannot cure already, constantly ache and pain.

I'm FTWM but i have a helper to help me take care of my boy. The first few month, i carry him all the time but place him in the sarong if i need to do stuff, now he can play by himself on the bed for a while then we quickly do other things like cooking or housework before he starts asking for our attention. Usually we don't care about him until he starts screaming and crying with tears coming out...haha

What my friend did was to sling her baby to one side or her back and do housework, as for cooking, she goes out to buy.

Have to trail and error i feel, just tell yourself housework can wait. Have you tried doing housework in front of him at the same time tell him what you are doing and see his reaction?

My problem that i will face when my boy starts crawling is there is no space for him to crawl cos our house got dogs.. still trying to think of a way.

Oh ya any mummies's babies skip the stage of flipping and go on to crawling or sitting or have you heard of any cases like this?

Hi All,

<font color="ff0000">Why pay more for the Car Insurance when we can save the monies to buy pretty clothes for our kids / Lot of toys / <u>BEST</u> milk powder in town / send them to the <u>MOST</u> reputable Montessori / bring your kids for holiday / pamper yourself with branded stuffs…..and more.</font>

Car insurance have to be renewed every year, as with most car owners, we do not have the time to approach each and every car insurer for quotations, not to mention going through the fine prints in detail and comparing plans.

Most of us end up renewing our car insurance with the existing insurer and not knowing that we might be paying $200 - $500 more...

By comparing quotations from all 10 Singapore Motor Insurers, we will do a <u>FREE</u> comparison for you with all motor insurance companies in Singapore...insurers that you heard often as well as others that you have not.

For more information, please email me [email protected] with your Car Plate Number/ Policy Applicant Particular / Contact Number for a <font color="0000ff">NO OBLIGATION FREE QUOTE.</font>

tigger, I saw VTECH toys sold in mother works (located @ great world)! But they don't carry full range... I think leapfrog is better, in terms of colours and functions...
happy.gif

wow this car insurance ad is too much.. nt suppose to sell at discussion thread but mami &amp; baby items we still think nvm this one very daring insurance ad leh! haha wonder if moderator got see &amp; ban :p

ahnetsan, dont mind my comment, J still on 2hr schd?the bb nw shd 4hr i do agreed but i find it hard , am trying 3.5hr. 2hr too short already leh nw bb 5mth nt NB.. i also like u , wn i go out i wonder if she throw away my milk when he didnt finish.. caught her twice, wash btl without detergent then reuse the btl for next feed after rinising alamak! then she say dunno must sterilise. alamak didnt she see my steriliser. olden time also got boil in water right.. she always say she raise 3 boy up. donkey yrs ago lor! &amp; it's my son i want him to have discipline.. say i 8+ put him slp too early say 10pm ok. whole family slping late, i dont want my bb also like that 8+ start bedtime ritual, around 9.15 he starts to slp just nice mah. the only thing i'm guilty is i slp at 12+ after his dream feed &amp; my last pump. he wk up once 5+ for milk then after i pump i go back slp till 10+ if he wk up i ill pat him slp becos i still wanna slp :p i hope to wk up 8am with hi every morn haha mayb wn i no longer pumping... nw i cant..

guess what, i also dreamt i quarrel with MIL. Hb is saying dec go short trip.. but i simply not comfortable leaving bb with his mum.. she always carry him around . wow biang i'm not very strong leh i dont wanna carry him around becos she spoilt him. she always say he mk noise. of cos mah. just put him on his chair or playpen nothing to distract him of cos he very fast mk noise what..
i had wanted her to tend to him till 2yr old but i worry his motor skill no good with her..i put him on tummy to practise flip then she say hurt his neck &amp; back. wow lau i know his limit, n if not comfy he will mk noise, he's not silly boy mah.

Jayden is 5mth today! recently keep blowing bubble n screaming sound, instead of suck milk he blowing at it.tried to mk him use bigger teats hole, he keep leaking milk n cry after 100ml.alamak.. but already so big cannt always use 2-3mth+ size mah.now alot bibs to wash, waste my milk so heartpain.

Yeah blurmom i got a leapfrog learning seat, jayden love it! i now have gd impression of their pdts.

Back