(2009/05) May 2009 MTBs

jamie,
i can send to u at jurong east. convenient for u?
i placed order for u already le.. and since mikojade is not in a rush to collect her stuff, she is ok to let u have it 1st.. yr batch is new de.. dont worry! same batch as adv_sports

Shers,
Is HT Brown Rice cereal heaty for Shermay? Any constipation observed? I'm quite scared 'cos got this experience with #1!

How abt other bbs taking HT brown rice?

Joyce,
Shermay had constipation after taking brown rice! So I fed her papaya or banana after her cereal time. That's y now I alterate with other cereals n more fruits n juice. At least she poo daily.

joyce, hailey no constipation. she's ok on brown rice. she everyday eat brown rice now. dun worry la. i think u shld gif it a try then u will knw cuz up to individual babies ma. =)

shers, i text u ba!

thanks Shers & Jamie,

I can't wait for tmr.. gave Hui Xin her 1st taste of Earth's best Rice cereal when I reached home at 7.30pm.. she crave for more when 1 tablespoon of cereal is down, gave her 2nd tablespoon, all gone too!

I will try her on the brown rice 5 days later after the Avocado, which I bot during lunch today!

mummies, may i ask how you change milk powder from stage 1 to stage 2? i change by feed as told by the Mead Johnson person but my boy can tell the difference and rejects the stage 2 milk. can i mix the 2 milk powder in 1 feed?

ak,
you should mix them gradually.. ie 3:1, 2:1, 1:1, then fully on stage 2..
happy.gif

joyce - do you mean something like (3 scoops stage 1, 1 scoop stage 2), then (2 scoops stage 1, 2 scoops stage 2) ...?

May_mum: No I don't carry Arielle the whole day. It's when she goes to sleep at night I have to carry her and let her suckle till she sleeps. At night she will still wake up 2-3 times, then she will suckle awhile and fall asleep again.

The pacifier we tried to give was NUK brand. She push out.

Re: Swaddling
Yesterday tried to let her fall asleep without swaddle, and also tried to let her lie down in her cot when that failed. But she got busy and started to push the mobile buttons...Ya she will be more awake...

We don't swaddle her whole body just the arms and it will come loose when she struggles, so don't think it will really affect her motor skills.

In the end revert to usual way to make her fall asleep. Sleep until she shiok.

Re: Healthy Times Organic Brown Rice Cereal

I'm giving this to Arielle. SO far no constipation and I let her have water.

Arielle started to drink less breastmilk when we fed her twice a day, so we cut down to 1 meal a day first. Anyway we just started like a week plus ago.

I read that baby's main nutrition is still breastmilk and solids is just complementary for the 1st year.

Joyce,
Thanks for the info.. Won't force andrea to eat.. Let her be.

Rc_cola,
Video ur son la. Want to see ur son, not daughter.

Hi all, I have a May baby gal too and there are some questions which I hope mommies out there can advise.

I have been feeding my gal yu ren sheng brown rice for 4 days already and she was unable to poo for 3 days despite giving her water and barley.

Previously my doc gave some med to insert into buttock to induce poo and we gave her that today and she cried so hard cos her poo was really really hard..

I am wondering if I have been giving my gal too much brown rice? We gave her 3-4 scoops of the brown rice powder and its about 3/4 full of the pigeon stage 1 bowl and most of the time she can finish almost all of it. I am wondering if I should thin the rice cereal cos after cooking, it looks very very thick .. like yam paste.

Btw, i have just started my gal on solid and am pretty lost on what to feed and how much to feeed.. wonder if anyone has any menu to guide me?

Thanks in advance for all advices.

hi gals!

i finally gave cereals to my boy this afternoon. =)

i mixed about 2oz of milk to the cereals but he only ate like 4 baby spoonfuls then kept looking at his botte so i gave him that & he drank the rest of the milk (remaining 3 oz)...is that what most of your little ones experience too?

he's drinking 5oz fm all along.

Re: Solid food
my bb actually ate around half tablespoon from the start..but now seem refused...wat shld i do..
i tried organics food jar...carrot, pear and apple...she tried a few mouths also stopped.

even the EBM, she also close her mouth tight tight...dun wan to open to suck the teat.

need to coax long time before she start drinking....but she seem like avacado..but i dunno how to choose...
the one too hard..so i steam it to soften..is it correct?

abby,
I read that baby's main nutrition is still breastmilk and solids is just complementary for the 1st year---> glad to hear tat

cos my bb BM intake seem very little nowsdays...and she din seem to like solid food.
so worry.

hi prettylittlethings, my boy also started cereal with much coaxing.. I think it's the new experience thats 'bothering' them. I have tried for almost a week now and he is getting better. I am sure yours will too
happy.gif

Hi Hayoki,

I am using Bellamy. Some mummies are using healthy times or nestle.

Re: Puree
So far, my gal has tried out carrot, apple and pumpkin. She seems to love pumpkin very much, although she can only manage 1 Oz each time (she is only 5.5 mths old). My MIL says its too "cooling" to feed babies with pear. Is that true?

Good morning mummies!

Poohwei: My girl sometimes has pear instead of apple for variety. I dun think it's cooling leh cos it was my mum who decided to give it to her. if too cooling, she won't give..

Hayoki: I'm using Earth's Best organic rice cereal. I know some are using Happy Bellies and BabyNat Fruit cereals, on top of what Poohwei has written. I think it doesn't matter which brand, just make sure it's fortified with iron.

ilovesashimi: U can try adding water to the leftover cereal so ur baby takes some water to prevent constipation. For recipes, u can try: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

prettylittlethings: My girl prefers spoonfeeding to bottle leh.. I finally managed to feed her this weekend. Think the trick is to get the right consistency and be very confident!

3wkold: I gave my girl avocado too! Gotta choose the ripe ones so it's soft. I just mash it and add in a bit of breastmilk and can feed already!

Mummies, I finally managed to feed Le Xuan a whole bowl of cereals yesterday! Think must be v confident and show baby that u rule. I tried to be very firm and my girl just ate one mouth after another. must be fast also i think..

We also let Le Xuan sit on a high chair when my mum and I were out for lunch on Sat. She's not very steady yet, so we stuffed her Bjorn behind her to support her. She can sit pretty well and long enough for us to finish our lunch!

Am thinking of getting a high chair for her so she can get used to sitting at the dining table with us. Any recommendations?

Tiny M,
I think I will get the Ikea one. The plastic white one in most restuarants..
happy.gif
Easy to clean when she messes up and most importantly, she will feel at home when dining out! hahaha Same high chair..

morning mummies

Started my girl on rice cereals on sat.
notice she has 2 red patches near her mouth. not itchy as she's not scratching but should i stop the rice cereal or continue? :/
I am giving her 2 portions per day followed with milk. too much for a start? She's lapping everything up so thought since she likes it should continue? :/

Btw, kidzloft having 50% sale till 22nd just in case no one posted yet. Am working next to kidzloft so if anyone needs me to help check stuff do let me know.

thanks for sharing your experiences...shall persevere with the feeding this week!

by the way, how much milk are your bbs drinking? mine's 150ml 3 hrly...thinking of increasing cos he seem to gulp down the milk these days...

fireflies80: you might want to clean her mouth that area with a damp cloth (with cool boiled water)after feed cos their skin is really sensitive and gets milk rash easily. my boy also had such patches on his entire cheek last week and my mum & helper did that more frequently & his rashes cleared this week.
you might wanna watch her for any allergic reaction (touchwood) for 2 more days since she started cereals on sat...i'm also following the 4 day rule to weaning.

thanks prettylittlethings
happy.gif

my mum said to stop the cereal first and monitor. will start again once it subsides :/
We did clean her face after she finish eating though :/
sigh....
what's best to introduce after rice cereal ? so fun to watch her eat
happy.gif

tiny m, u are absolutely right.. mummies must show babies that we are in charge...

Ikea high chair!!!..i also got that...agreed with bean...they will feel its the same chair whenever they go..now got white, blue ,red.

for avocado, chooose those where skin is more brown/marroon instead of green, then it will be soft in the inside. for those open n hard, jsut steam lor..no choice.

mummies, any other non-orange vege? running out of vege coz mostly orange colour..

for bb with constipation, what i did beside feeding water, i gave some papaya puree...
did it for my boy!

shers, when is HT stock arriving? want to start on barley next. if not its back to brown rice..

fireflies

the kidsloft only for a few brands only isit? not storewide..

help me check. bring back memory coz i was chionging it when my belly was big big early this year.

gd morning mummies~

ilovesashimi
me oso feeding bb with the si shen brownrice(but not from yu yan sheng) so far ok.. juz poo firm..i gave abt 2 tablespoon powder top up with 3/4 adult bowl water then cook till pasty, after dat mix with FM to make it like runny yogurt texture. mayb u can try to add more water to cook so dat wun be too thick. or feed on alternate days instead..

pretylittlethings,
mine milk intake around 60ml per 3/4hours..so i started solid at ard 5.5mths..he prefers spoon feed rather then bottle. headache..

poohwei,
my pd mention on pear coolin oso.. she recommend forelle/bosc pears..

jaime,
me oso tinkin wat non-orange vege can giv. mayb brocoli and peas? spinach i dunno can giv or not..

re highchair,
i oso get ikea one haha from forum here. coz i prefer something lightweight, easy to clean and the tray can detach oso. in future, i can juz place the chair next to table to eat together without the tray..

plus its not expensive oso! too mani baby things to buy... pocket burn hole liao.. now hav to start to control spending.. easi to say hard to do haha

Morning Ladies

Wah now the topic is on solid..
I just made potato + carrot puree yesterday, hope Kea will like it, tho I myself think it tastes very raw..

I let him try the HT oatmeal cereal that I bough, he likes it a lot..
So in my monthend trip, I am gonna bring that, then just mix with BM for him, easy :p

Re: high chair
I’ve got an IM toy highchair + mamalove highchair (my Meg is using it now). I didn’t put bb on highchair to feed him, prefer him to sit on rocker..
So far my boy is still on 100ml 2 hourly feed.. no intention to increase the intake and no intention to force feed him solid. He seems to be growing well, so just let him be..

jamie,
its for cheekybonbon, taftoys and imtoys so effectively almost all
happy.gif
going to stock up somemore bumpers..
my girl wants to climb out of the crib so we pulled the bar higher so need more rounds to protect since she "banging" her head agst the bars :/

hi to all mummies...

my kaiden also started on solids...he prefer brown rice than white rice...

but weird tingy is...my boy like super big eater...
took like half a bowl of brown rice...drink 140ml of FM n 60ml of apple juice then he will be satisfied...

so shld i jus giv him more brown rice then?

nowadays he get hungry so easily...like if we feed him 160ml of milk every 3hrs last time...but now it only can tahan for 2hrs n he will be hungry...

cheyanne, kaiden is on another growth spurt
happy.gif
yuan2 also asking for milk 2.5hrs after 200ml -- should be 3.5-4hr interval...

rc, i juz made brocolli with carrot puree
happy.gif

re: high chair
does the ikea high chair comes with tray? or have to buy the tray separately? cannot find the tray in ikea website...

Hi Tiny M,

May I ask how to prepare apple & pear puree for bb? Can we use those scraper and scrap? I am at a lost at this weaning stage because know nuts about cooking & food preparation... If we prepare apple & pear puree, we don't serve it cold right? Then how to prevent the food from turing yellow?

Thanks alot!!

adv_sports,
high chair doesnt come with tray.

kidzloft!!! i want to go also.. they sell alot of safety first stuff and its good time for baby proofing at home! i bought bed rail there at 50% earlier this yr.. very very cheap!!

shers, thanks.. is the tray available? do u know how much it cost? i like the red high chair -- will be go if there is a matching red tray
happy.gif

adv_sports,
if i'm not wrong, the total price of ikea high chair will cost u less than $40..
yesyes.. these r new colours.. comes with matching tray!

Thanks everyone for ur high chair recommendations! Seems like Ikea's is quite popular!

fireflies: My sis told me to start with rice cereal then orange color foods, like carrot, pumpkin, apple and such. apparently orange color food is supposed to have lower allergy reactions

jaime & maymum: My PD said can give spinach leh. But i dunno how to prepare it. Think can give peas and avocado also liao.. I let my girl suck on dragonfruit last Fri, she got seeds all over her mouth and cried when we finished it before her eyes!

pastries: This is what we do for apple and pear. My dad will take the fruit out of the fridge about one hr before feeding time to let it "warm" to room temp. Just before feeding time, we'll prepare the rice cereal first. Then cut the apple, remove skin and grate it using grater. Will be able to get a good amount of juice and apple scraps. Then add to rice cereal and feed. Minimise oxidisation.

Re: Increasing portion size
I dunno if I should increase the portion size for my baby's rice cereal also. How to judge? Now she's taking 2 meals per day most of the time but still same amount from day one till now..

Shers: Did u succeed in feeding porridge? We tried feeding my girl pork porridge on Sat and she kept making choking sounds and threatening to puke. We stopped feeding her after a few spoonfuls..

Back