2008 P1 Registration

Hi cecelia and linda,

I'm asking on behalf of my fren as she did not have internet access currently, and she is very gan chong to know how many vacancy are there for Phase 2C for Innova and Fuchun.

Personally, my boy havent reach that age yet so i still got many years to prepare myself. But any good sch ard Toa Payoh ? The nearest to my hse is CHIJ but that's a girls sch.

Catholic high and Ai tong (Bishan), Pei Chun (Toa Payoh). All quite popular may need to do volunteer work if you want to get in.

Not sure about Catholic High. My friend went in via Phase 2C. She's within 1km. But they have so many church members and alumni so probably dun need volunteers. Probably can call to ask. I know some schools need to call 4-5 years before registration in order to secured a volunteer place. Maybe next time the baby born must register to be volunteer liao!

hi, jenny...

u intend to try for rosyth too?
i'll be trying my luck there for phase 2c.
looks like there'll only b abt 60 vacancies left for phase 2c.

hi linda,
great to find someone who stay in woodlands here.
i stay at dr 73.
do u hv an idea where innova is? i heard it is near vista point. M happy to hv a SC within school compound.

Hi mummies
I'm asking for a friend. Does anyone know for past years at phase 2B, what is the "success rate" for Ai Tong? BAlloting is at within 2km or outside 2km?

Hi!
How would we know whether balloting is required for the distance category? The school wh I applied to needs balloting for sure but the website didnt state which whether for <1km or for bet 1-2km.

Gin,
I know for Dragon year, balloting is for those within 1km, not so sure abt last year. It's a v popular school.

Hi,

Gin:
Last year, there was just enough places for within two, I think, so no balloting for outside 2km.

Tinklebell:
Call up the school on Monday to ask.

Hi tinklebell and cc
Thanks. My friend lives outside 2km, so I told her the chance is quite low so she must think of alternatives or move house to within 1km to be doubly sure. Usually by 2B, Ai Tong only left with 40-50 vacancies.

hi linda,
Yup i m juz next to greenwood.. but i prefer admiralty than greenwood thus the hesitation..
i went to check out the innova and found tat it is not near to my place
sad.gif

i even called the SC, the lady sound pretty nice and gave me info abt the SC.
hmmmm... now i headache..

Hi mummies

My daughter is still quite far from Pri 1 but I am considering moving house now to the school of my choice but I am confused abt the registration criteria

Example 1: If I stayed within 1 km, that means I am under Phase 2C? But if I become a volunteer, I can be considered under Phase 2B?

Example 2: If my MIL is staying within 1km from school, and both parents are working, I can do a SD but i will be consider under 1-2km under 2C balloting?

Please advise..thanks!

Hi mummies,

Need some advise from u as I'll be registering my kid under phrase 2C next week. Was thinking of whether I should try my luck (balloting) for Tao Nan since I'm staying within 1km or should I go straight to Ngee Ann Pri (2nd choice), which I may not have to go thru' balloting. My main worry is the stress/workload faced by students of Tao Nao, anyone can share more on this? Thanks
happy.gif

hi Wish a boy,
Do you hv last year's data which states which schools needed balloting at phase 2B (within 1km, between 1 and 2 km &amp; outside 2km)?

Thanks.

Just to share my observation....

did you all notice some movements in 2A2 &amp; 2B?

my speculation is some registered in 2A2 then observe the outcome in 2B. On the 2nd day of 2B, call the school &amp; if no need to ballot, they can quickly put in their application in that school in 2B &amp; withdraw from the other school registered during 2A2

I think that's a good strategy. Secured a place first, but still keep your option open if you qualify for both 2A2 (in a 2nd choice school) &amp; 2B (in a 1st choice school)

<table border=1><tr><td>24-Jul-07</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>P1 REGISTRATION EXERCISE FOR ADMISSION IN 2008</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>If there are no withdrawals , these 18 schools listed below will be conducting balloting at Phase 2B on Wed, 25th July 2007 .</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>The schools have informed parents concerned of the balloting time . Parents are welcome to witness the conduct of balloting .</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>No.</TD><TD>School </TD><TD>Balloting to be conducted for children living </TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Within 1km</TD><TD>Between 1km to 2km </TD><TD>Outside 2km </TD></TR><TR><TD>1</TD><TD>ACS (Junior)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD>ACS (Primary)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>3</TD><TD>Catholic High </TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD>CHIJ Primary (Toa Payoh)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>5</TD><TD>CHIJ (St Nicholas Girl's)</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD>Chongfu Pr</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>7</TD><TD>De La Salle </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>8</TD><TD>Holy Innocents'</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>9</TD><TD>Kong Hwa </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>10</TD><TD>Methodist Girl's Sch</TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>11</TD><TD>Nan Chiau</TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>12</TD><TD>Paya Lebar Methodist Girl's </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>13</TD><TD>Rosyth</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>14</TD><TD>St Andrew's Junior </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>15</TD><TD>St Hilda's Pri</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>16</TD><TD>St Joseph's Institution Jr </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD>St Stephen's Pri</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD>18</TD><TD>Tao Nan Sch </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Yes </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>Ai Tong School has places only for children who have registered in the school and are living within 1 - 2km of the school . Therefore,</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>children living outside 2km of the school are unsuccessful in their registration . No balloting will be conducted in Ai Tong School . </TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>The vacancy position for Phase 2C for all the primary schools can be obtained from the Teletext (Channel 8, Pg 720) , Internet </TD></TR><TR><TD>(www.moe.gov.sg) or from the MOE Customer Service Centre at telephone number : 6872-2220 from 2.00pm Friday , 27th July 2007. </TD></TR><TR><TD></td></tr></table>

another thought....

this year 11 schools need ballot for those outside 2km

If can call up the schools on 2nd day or perhaps the schools can inform grassroot leaders applying under 2B but outside 2km about the likelihood of balloting, these grassroot leaders can at least have the opportunity to make an informed decision whether to switch to other schools since they have a whole GRC of schools to choose from. 2nd day is still in time to switch. Unfortunately this option is not available to PVs though

then perhaps less schools need to ballot at phrase 2B lor

I think it's very stressful to go for balloting

caroline3sg

when 2A2 registration closed, the number registered is indicated on the website. when 2B registration closed, I noticed the previous number registered in 2A2 changed in some schools

very minor movement 1 or 2 but there are movements. Now too late to see this because the website only reflects the latest number

you observe closely next year. anyway, not applicable to us liao. For other mommies' future reference
wink.gif

chen mama

it's my speculation lah, my guess from noticing the slight movement in numbers

don't think it's manipulation. No rules are violated since they only registerd in one school at any one point in time. Very wise in fact

hippo2002
I noticed some changes as you mentioned, 1 - 2 cases. I genuinely thought those are invalid cases (ie apply wrong phase or didn't meet certain criteria). I didn't know such strategy.

In another forum, someone (within 1 - 2km) mentioned Aitong (need balloting for 1 - 2 km at 2B) reduce 2 vacancies from 2B due to someone "forget to register at earlier phases". They were told it was approved by MOE. He was mad that he wanted to speak to MP at meet the people session.

To clarify , Grassroot leaders have max. 3 sch they can choose and not the whole sch under the GRC .

About the movements of vacancy , eg , I old girl of Aitong but I now stay in Bedok and a PV for Red Swastika . I will register my kid at Aitong at Phase 2A2 while waiting for phase 2B registration and then make sure I can get a place at Red Swastika under Phase 2B then I faster go to Aitong to withdraw and then last minute register at Red Swastika and so that's why movement of vacancy .

foocj

so my speculation is correct
wink.gif

did you go for balloting this morning? good news?

grassroot leaders can choose any 3 schools from the whole GRC? choose before they apply for 2B? That's plenty of choices leh

correction..grassroot can only choose 1 school out of the list of schools in the Constituency they served.

this is what happened in my case.

Hello Wish A boy,

U mean we can register our child under 2A2 for school A then register under 2B in school B. If school B we secured a place thr PV, we can withdraw our child from 2A2? That is permissible?? If so, then will be great news for me, I dun hv to headache over which school to enrol my child.

Luv Mum,
you have to withdraw first before you register again, as you cannot register if you are already given a place in the earlier phases.

For mummies staying in Seng Kang, please enlighten me.

(1) I'm staying in Fernvale and if I want to enrol my boy at Nan Chiau. Am I considered 1-2KM or > 2KM?

(2) So in this year scenario, if I'm within 1-2KM, I have to ballot to get a place? What about > 2KM?

(3) If I didn't manage to get a place after balloting, will I be automatically allocated to a school nearest to my school ie. Fernvale Primary School?

hi, tigress.

if balloting is required for 1-2km, then >2km wont b considered at all.

if u didnt managed to get a place after balloting in phase 2c, u'll nd to go and register in another school during phase 2c (supplementary), ie there wont be any auto-allocation.

Tigress

there is a map displayed outside the general office during P1 registration period or you can call up the school to ask what's your distance from school

Hi Tigress,

1. You can call the school to determine the distance or use inlis by sla. Must pay though.

2. To add on to Ling Lee, if 2C supp still unsuccessful, then you go phase 3. Open phase with all foreign pupils. This time, it's first come first serve.

Hi LibraO+ (librao) : Woo if 1 choice then better join PV better and do 2 school for 40 hrs each .. grassroot must join for a few years before u are given letter to apply sch at Phase 2B . My MIL is Grassroot and she is being told that not newcomer get the letter for phase 2B lah .. I don't think so as another sch I volunteer told me Grassroot got 3 choice and I think is true for Bedok GRC if not I would not see so many Grassroot change their mind and all came to Red Swastika and so exceed and balloting as Temesak got more applicants and chance is lower if balloting .

Luv Mum (luvmum) : Yes u can register at your old sch first then at other phase withdraw and register at others when you have confirm seats . U must withdraw at your old sch before u go over to register at the new sch . Can do that .

Hi Tigress,

If u registering in Phase 2C , if u are not 1km within Nan Chiau can forget about it as balloting at Phase 2C usually for 1km .

If balloting within 1-2km then those outside 2km no need to ballot at all .

If u did not sucess in balloting , then u have to go 2C supp which most popular sch already fully taken up . At that times , most sch have very limited space and even u within 1km if applicant exceed vacancy u still have to ballot one more time at phase 2C supp.

So mummies must consider and think on your choices as if did not get at phase 2C and 2C sup then u have to go to a far away sch .

I got a colleague friend was in such situation , he is 1-2km within sch A but he did not want to register at phase 2c , went to ballot at Sch B a more popular sch and in the end did not get a place . Then at phase 2C sup , sch a left with 5 vacancy but 6 came and all under 1km and so in the end he cannot ballot as well at sch A as he is outside 1km .. in the end go to register in another sch which is 3km away ..

In other words, I can forget about NCPS if I'm > 2KM. Is it really necessary to enrol in these branded schools? It's crazy to put mummies in such stress......

of course not necessary

I think distance is the most important consideration, at least to me lah

I pick the school nearest to my house

well, actually, it's juz our psychology.

in fact, personally, i feel that most of the times, teachers in the heartland schools will tend to put in more effort for their pupils, as they know that some parents may not have time to really monitor and coach the kids.

as for those more popular &amp; branded schools, teachers may feel that the pupils will have very strong home support.

well, juz my personal take...

however, my utmost concern is really the peers my kids would be interacting with, as they'll hve a large impact on my kids' attitude towards performing to their max potential.

Wish a boy : oh dear, think I'm also facing a similar suitation as yr friend ....really in a dilemma now, dunno know how to choose ...
sad.gif

Hippo2002 : thanks for the article, really speaks the mind of many parents....me too, find that distance is one of the major considering factor, dun wanna to waste too much time on travelling, that's why cracking my head now, instead of registering earlier under phrase 2A2...
sad.gif

i agree with sleepy - distance matters.

travelling can be very tiring for the poor 6+ or 7 yrs old...

so, if travelling is gonna tire them out physically, how can they learn to their best ability?

Hi Miao : U can withdraw out from Phase 2A2 as long as u can get a firm seat at Phase 2C . What u can do is wait till the last day of registration and late afternoon then decide if can secure a place nearer your home at Phase 2C , quickly go withdraw the seat at Phase 2A2 then go to the nearer sch and register at Phase 2C . There is no rules that u cannot withdraw from the earlier phase and register in another sch , only rule is can only register one sch at a time so must withdraw then register just more work and traveling to withdraw and register .

Miao
you forgo your chance at 2A2?

Ling
I can attest to that. I used to travel from East to West everyday during my teens. Aiyo, so tiring at end of the day that I had no more energy left to study
For young children, will be worst lor

oh, one more consideration, ideally the primary school is affliated to a good secondary school

but bo bian, my nearest school no affliation. Ok, settle one thing at a time. I will worry about affliation few years down the road
biggrin.gif

But, I dun think will be able to get a firm seat @Tao Nan under 2C even though I'm staying within 1km, think still need to ballot, plus I still need to consider the distance from home to sch &amp; from sch to aftercare centre/my workplace, thus finally decided not to go for phrase 2A2, too tiring liao
sad.gif

Oh ya, not forgetting the CCA time spent when they enter P3, so wld prefer to go for a nearer sch...but the problem now is whether to try my luck @tao nan or go for my 2nd choice pri sch (ngee ann).....
sad.gif

Tigress,

If you live > 2km from NCPS, don't even try. They have not balloted beyond 1 km for Phase 2C over the last 6 years.

I suppose at this point, parents make the decision as to which school to register their child, so the onus is really on the parents to decide whether they want to enrol their child in a branded school or not.

I know of someone who's child is in NCPS, but the child has learning difficulties and was lagging behind and struggling in class (still is). Again, with such situation, it is the parents' decision to keep the child there or transfer the child to another school which may be more suitable for him / her.

Back