2008 P1 Registration

Hi Mummies,

I'm planning ahead for my boy's P1 registration. Need advise from you experienced mummimes.

Nan Chiau & Rosyth are 2 of my shortlisted schools near my premises. I just found out that my place is 2.5km from Nan Chiau and 2.15km from Rosyth.

Question :
(1) Which phase am I?
(2) Base on past few years of statistics, what are my chances?
(3) If my chances are low, what do I need to do to improve my chances? PV? Join Huay Guan? (I'm not Hokkien)....
(4) If I move my house to less than 1km from the 2 schools, does that guarantee a place in the school?
(5) Which are the Secondary schools that are afflicted with Nan Chiau & Rosyth?

I spoke with my husband about it, he simply don't understand why I worry so much. Men are always like that. Hope some kind mummies can answer my queries.

Hi sleepy resolutions

Mine required balloting. Number of people registered exceeded by 22.
kao_sad2.gif

Sigh...

Mine too...
62 vacancies, with 153 applicants.

But guess it can't beat West Grove - 118 vacancies, 355 applicants.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

<font face="Kristen ITC"> Hi tigress
After going through the P1 registration exercise this year, this is what I can share:</font>

Question :
(1) Which phase am I?

<font face="Kristen ITC"> Phase 2C</font>.

(2) Base on past few years of statistics, what are my chances?

<font face="Kristen ITC"> No chance at both schools. 2006 - 2008 statistics both schools need balloting at phase 2C for those within 1 km</font>.

(3) If my chances are low, what do I need to do to improve my chances? PV? Join Huay Guan? (I'm not Hokkien)....

<font face="Kristen ITC"> Based on 2006 - 2008 data, you will not secure a seat in Nan Chiau even you sign up for PV or join clan as in phase 2B2, balloting is required for those within 1 - 2 km. You are >2km, therefore you will not even qualify to ballot.

For Rosyth, balloting is required for >2km in phase 2B2 (ie. for PV or clan members). This means that even if u PV or join Huay Guan, you will still need to ballot to get a seat in the sch. I do not have the balloting ratio so can't advise what are your chances.</font>

(4) If I move my house to less than 1km from the 2 schools, does that guarantee a place in the school?

<font face="Kristen ITC"> Answer is no guarantee. Both schools require balloting for Phase 2C within 1 km</font>.

(5) Which are the Secondary schools that are afflicted with Nan Chiau &amp; Rosyth?

<font face="Kristen ITC"> Sorry I have no idea

Mummies, do correct me if I am wrong in my analysis
happy.gif
</font>

<font face="Kristen ITC"> My choice school need balloting too, 133 applicants for 69 vaccanies. They did not publish the breakdown of these 133 applicants ie. how many witin 1km, 1-2 km &amp; >2km. The teacher told me on day 2, 120 applicants within 1km. I am hoping the figure is not accurate, hopefully 120 people is including those 1-2 km &amp; > 2 km. This will improve my balloting chance.</font>

wow, so competitive!

If cannot qualify for phrase 2A2, I guess the next safest thing is to do PV &amp; live within 1km
most likely guaranteed a place

only 2 schools (Catholic High &amp; CHIJ St Nicholas) need to ballot within 1km for phrase 2B this year

oh... juz called the school this morning &amp; the clerk told me all the 153 applicants vying for the 62 vacancies r living within 1km frm the school...

dun think they accepted any application from those living beyond 1km during the registration.

Hi Tigress,

littletotscloset is correct.

Perhaps move house within 1 km and do pv might improve chances, though not gauranteed.

Joining huay kuan does not ensure a spot for registration. You have to satisfy their criteria first before they issue you a permission. Otherwise, you can be a member and still can't qualify for 2B.

Both schools have no affiliation.

I looked at the latest statistics...

Nan Chiau left with 67 vacancies for Phase 2C
Rosyth left with 62 vancancies for Phase 2C

If I fall under phase 2C, I still have a little chance to get a place right? If yes, assuming that I balloted and didn't get a place, I can register at another neighbouring school right? Where can I get information how many applicants there are for phase 2C?

Hi,

Go moe.gov.sg, then click on p1 registration.

Not sure, But I would say as good as none if you are outside 2km for 2C. If 2C unsuccessful, then you have to wait for 2C supp. Same procedures as 2C apply.

Tigress (tigress) : U outside 2km no chance at all under phase 2C for both sch as pass statistics shows balloting for within 1km at Phase 2C .

hi tigress

littletotscloset is correct.

u r outside 2km, the school will ask u not to register with them under 2C as balloting is done for those staying within 1km.

if u move within 1km, u will get a chance to ballot under 2C.
if u move within 1km and is a PV, you can register under 2B and get in as balloting is done for btn 1-2km.
but this will have to depend which yr u r registering. Cos if more and more parents are doing the same things as u, that will reduce ur chance. Meaning u might have to ballot under 2B within 1km too.

by the way, if u really move and want to consider PV, u have to plan backwards too.
Eg, u r registering in July 2010, u will have to do volunteer work from July 2009 to June 2010. Then you will have to register with the school as PV in year 2008.

You better have a backup plan as NC doesn't acccept every PV applicants.
Other ways to register under 2B, join Hokkien clan or volunteer at RC
happy.gif

Thanks for the explanation. In otherwords, I can forget about my choice of school, since I'm not prepared to be PV. I'll just have to register my boy to a not so popular neighbouring school
sad.gif

happy.gif
my pleasure!

actually u can consider Anchorgreen comes ur time.
as they are a new school, they do have certain expectations as well.

You also like to consider Fernvale. Was newly set up 3 or 4 years ago. But principal there quite good. Came from South View Pri. Principal 'on' might also means pupils benefit!!

:)

I'm actually staying directly opposite Fernvale, but so far not much reviews on this school, so not under my consideration.
happy.gif

Ya, for the more popular schools which always ballot less than 1km in 2C, they will sort of ensure those that apply are within 1km. If by end of day 1, they know that ballot is for within 1km, they will ask those >1km to register elsewhere so as not to waste their chance...

I would like to check on the following, pls share with me if you know.
For a parent who do PV but stay more than 2KM aways, as compared to parent who do not do PV but stay within 2KM.
Who will have priorty first?
If my child stay more than 2KM but parent sign up as PV as compared to a child stay within 1KM but parent never do PV.
Who will has priority?

I'm just wondering is it worth it to do PV.. cos the school in mind is sooo hot.. this yr no ballot for child stay outside 2KM..
What If I do PV will it help to at least a chance to ballot?

Oh I just read the earlier post...
Looks like my situation is tigeress... and I dun intent to shift house
sad.gif

Where can I see the statistic for past years 2C balloting?
Looks like really no hope..
if I register as PV, might end up do for nothing!

hi, cookie...

u may wanna check if phase 2b (for pvs) for the school nds balloting for the past few yrs, if the trend showed tt no balloting is required for phase 2b, then the chance of ur child getting into the sch, shld be rather high is u become a pv.

however, u may really wanna consider if u wanna b a pv, if phase 2b for tt sch always requires balloting, coz >2km is rather 'risky'.

juz my 2 cents' worth.
happy.gif

Thanks LingLee
ya.. if 2B is always balloting..then may end up PV for nothing rite?

Do you know.. if PV under 2B is unsuccessful, will it be allocated to 2C for balloting together with those within 1KM?
Or if 2B unsuccessful means end of story, must go to school nearby my place?

From the current MOE website I only see for this yr ballot result.. where to find past years ballot result?

Hi all

Went for the balloting at Woodgrove Pri today. My boy was being selected.
kao_clap.gif
Finally, peace of mind le.
kao_happy.gif

Congrats to all mommies whose children got into their choice school.

Mine did not get balloted in...

So, now, another round of scouting for school on Tuesday...

<font face="kristen ITC">Luck is on my side. We are 1 of the lucky 69 out of the 133. The # published in the MOE site is very accurate. All are within 1km. Good luck to the rest!</font>.

Hi, Sweetheart!

Living in Serangoon North, so enrolled my gal in Rosyth School, but did not get balloted in...

So, now having headache with what's next, as I don't think there is any other school in the vicinity. That means my gal gotta really travel...

Sigh...

How about you, Sweetheart?

Dear Mommies, any suggestions for schools in Serangoon North area?

How about Elias Park Primary School?
That's the nearest to my mum's place, so may consider enrolling her there...

Ling Lee,

Can try Fernvale Primary School. It's abt 2km from Roysth. Not sure if it's good, but it's a relatively new school

for mummies whom registering in phase 2c Supp, u may wan consider Anchor Green, it is a new school near the methodist church. Its principal is previously from White Sand Pri School in Pasir Ris.

hi Ling

Mine is in SK area. Did not get balloted in Nan Chiau, so sad cos i'm staying just above them!!

No choice, am sending my gal to Anchor Green.
Prefer there cos dont have to take school bus
happy.gif

Hi Cecelia

The principal is a Indian lady rite. What kind of feedback do u have for the school?

Sweetheart,
Ya indian lady. I heard feedback from my SIL (whom is ex-teacher in east area) that White Sand Pri School is a popular school in that area.
She actually suggested me to apply AnchorGreen however am still prefer Rivervale cos just opp my block. FYI, she is only being transfered over beginning of this year upon school opening.

oic, i saw from AGPS website that principal is an Indian lady and have heard some +ve feedback abt the school too.
Have registered my gal there yesterday.

Anyone heard of any child withdrawing from Nan Chiau after completing P1 or P2?

dear mummies,
wanted to check with u have you received any notification from the school on the orientation date? Normally what is the procedure?

my gal was alloted a seat during the phase 2C balloting. Just received the carbon copy of the registration form yesterday via mail notifying my successful registration along with the orientation date written on it.

Back