(2008/09) Sep 2008

crayonshinchan
Hi my fren will be passing us their sarong for the first 2mths... I b the 1 carrying the baby..after that consider using babyBjorn...

Bigtoes
U can try Robinson at Centrepoint... Saw a bed which can use up to 8yrs old..Its nice n sturdy..But $1.5k b4 discount... I waiting for GSS to get everything at 1 go..

Time to go for Oscar test!!! Chat wif u all later!!

Flos (flos) - hah, i have way too many clothes as it is! Even bought some nice preggie looking tops before I was preggers (my logic is that u can never find what u want when u are looking. Same with stuff like evening dresses). Anyway, I don't go for expensive maternity wear, so don't think I spent that much (I hope)
happy.gif
Hubby is of cos already reminding me not to go around buying too many baby clothes (since they outgrow them so fast & we can get hand-me-downs from my nephews/nieces) - but knowing me, will most probably end up secretly getting some!

On whitening products, I haven't used them since preggers (not on purpose, just too lazy) - just relying on pre-make up base with SPF50+, plus all my usual make up. Very tempted to touch up on my hair color, but I guess I will wait for another 1-2 months.

ULTRASOUND SCANS:
Oh, mommies with scan photos or video clips of your babies - have to load up to share with the rest of us okie?

Bigtoes
I'm not sure if it will be a good idea to customise a cot...the lacquer etc they use may not be safe for babies...and babies put everything in their mouths, even their cot bars! My cot still has teeth marks frm where adan was trying out his chompers... don't worry about the colour coordination...esp if you will eventually be putting the cot in the baby's own room - you can decorate the baby';s room with lighter colours...meanwhile try looking for walnut coloured cots...mine is not that dark, but close enough to our furniture (our place also has a lot of the dark teak, custom made type)

sad.gif

bacon&egg & flos
I went to Kenko for my back & foot massage. They are trained in massaging pregnant ladies so they know where not to press. I felt really good after that as my body was aching, especially my shoulders & neck. When you book, you just need to tell them you're pregnant, then they'll arrange someone who has been trained in this aspect to do it for you.

Hello ladies!

Thanks so much for the info about the bassinet. Shopping for a cot...but I think prices are quite steep. Thinking of getting second hand one.

Bigtoes - My BIL repainted his bb's cot himself.Not sure what kind of lacquer he used. I try to check and let you know. He's out of town now. Oh, my bb due mid Sept.

How come so many of you know your baby's gender already? I went about 2 weeks ago but gynae said cannot see yet. Hopefully, next appt can see. My husband's not sure if he wants to know the gender. Actually, I don't know if I shd find out or get a surprise in the delivery room later. Haha.

COMBI Strollers - forgot who's looking for this. But I was just at Isetan Tampines yday and saw them havisale on Combi strollers. Not sure if got the model you want. But maybe can call and ask? Combi strollers look v good. I saw one but was like 479! I nearly fainted. Think I need to get used to the fact tt bb stuff is super ex.

Which hopsital? - Deciding between TMC and Mt A. I dunno which. TMC like v claustrophobic. Just went in Feb to visit sil. 2 bedder but was like super cramped. THen 2 friends recently had bb had Mt A - shared some not v nice exp with nurses. Was a bit shocked cos I thot Mt A supposed to have kind and attentive nurses. Theirs was a bit rough with them. So now, I am considering TMC.

U/S Scan Recording - My gynae is v nice. At last appt, she was the one to suggest recording my bb heartbeat and filming the scan. She told me to bring my video cam the next visit to record. I didn't even know it was possible! Guess it is cos she took pity on me going to visit alone cos hubby not in town. :)

JJ Parents: Baby Bjorn or ERGO - My friends say Baby Bjorn is v good. But I checked and found it a bit pricey. Though one friend is still using her Baby Bjorn and her kid is 1 year old, a big boy. She bought the 200 bucks one and she says can carry up to 10 kg or something.

Big toes:
You're really a fashionista! I'm trying to avoid buying those maternity wear. I think the current trend has several trapeze-dresses and babydoll tops so we're quite fortunate compared to last generation's moms when they had to wear those sailor-collared lamp-shade looking dresses!!!

Mei: thanks, I'll go to Kenko. But I wonder if REFLEX has expertise in prenatal massage?

sarah May: you can try TMC. It's not so claustrophobic actually. You see, when you're required to move from level to level, block to block for your treatments, scans and tests, having every dept housed in one building is a bliss. Who cares if there is only one cafe downstairs. You can always hop to Novena Square for a cuppa something and return to TMC thru the IRAS underpass to collect your results.

Mt A, it's quite isolated on a hilltop and the entrance to the hospital is now quite hidden due to the construction nearby, if I'm not wrong. They are building the flyover along Lornie Road until Jul, so it's quite a mess and noisy. But then, being a christian hospital, the nurses and doctors I heard are very caring lah. It can get a little quiet on weekdays, but some people like it peaceful.

TMC on the other hand is perpetually bustling with life and activities. Even the valet parking got to wait for 15 min on Sats.

Ava (avalyn) - We are converting the guest room into the baby's room, & it already has a dark colored teak wood day bed & window paneling. Hubby is just being fussy & wants everything coordinated! Btw, where did u get ur bed for Adan from then?

SarahMay (sarahmay) - Was thinking of repainting as well, but need to get a wooden cot first (those we came across are plastic, so cannot repaint over).

On strollers - we are most prob getting a Combi one as well. My SIL showed me hers yesterday, & its pretty much what we wanted. She mentioned to get direct from the Combi distributor - cheaper & more options.

On TMC vs. Mt A - my vote goes to the former, only cos I had good experience there. Went for fibriod removal last year, this was on GA & i had to stay 2 nites - found the TMC nurses pretty attentive (mainly filipinos). The 1-bedder room was decent enough, though hubby complained that the sleep-over bed/couch was too cramp.

On Foot Massage...

I am a sucker for foot reflexology and will go for a session every week. But since I got pregnant, I have stopped going for them as they can trigger contractions....This was also highlighted in the book 'What to expect when you are expecting'.

So mommies, pls take note. My masseuse asked me to only go to her for prenatal style back massage after 5 months pregnancy when the pregnancy is more stable.

Hi Limay,

I have came across nice cherry wood cribs before, cannot remember where though. I had one nice sleigh cherry crib when I was in the US and loved it so much. Too bad it was too heavy and big to be shipped back.

I won't advise you to paint the crib over actually... Most cribs are stained, and not painted. If you paint, there will be a layer of lacque over the wood, which can peel and baby might swallow. If you are going the painting route, must make sure the paint is lead-free (I think all paints in Singapore are lead-free).
happy.gif

Personally, I think there is no real need to spend alot on cribs... cos at the end of the day, it depends on whether your baby is a crib baby, a sarong baby, or etc...
happy.gif

I am still dilemma in choosing which hospital. My gynea can do either Mt E, Gleneagles, Mt Alvernia or TMC
I know Mt E is expensive so eliminate it. Any comments on Mt E anyone?
I heard TMC confinement food is nice… bt limited carpark space for those who drive

Hi Bigtoes
Saw ur post abt Medela. Gosh.. it is such a pity tat we cannot order direct. SIANZ hoh?

<font color="0000ff">Breasts
Can I check.. does any of u experience itchy breasts?? esp around the aerola or the area outside...

I've been feeling itchy recently.. so last nite resorted to putting the stretchmark cream on my breasts as well</font>

RXmom (ruixiangsmom) - thanks for pointing that out. With the baby, have to consider safety first &amp; foremost. Will try to get one that is natural wood rather than repainting.

Goldfish (goldfish1395) - I didn't like the food at TMC - then again, i think its quite standard bland food for recuperating patients. Ended up with hubby eating 2 portions (mine &amp; his)!

MEDELA:
Yes - can rule out getting Medela from US. Don't know why vPost concierge is so fussy about not doing phone/fax orders. Not like we aren't paying them extra! The full PIS set is $754 at Robisons...no discount even when there is a storewide sale - not sure if it would be any cheaper during Great Spore Sale. Best is just try to borrow from someone else, even rent (i think the Medela distributor in Spore rents out units), or just get the mini set? No point paying so much for something u would use just a couple of months (or less if not enough breastmilk!) I am borrowing a Medela PIS from my sis, and Meleda mini from SIL.

Hi Bigtoes
Haiz.. this medela PIS is so costly.. I think I saw at kiddy palace ard $600++ nearly $700. Total turn off wor.
I agree that it is costly to use it for one time only. Actually I have a friend who has PIS and she has loan it to a friend before. I scare I may spoilt the machine after usage den I die liao cos got to pay her back.. tat is the risk for me. Bt good for u that u have a few backup plans

Sasa - I think you can try buying nipple cream from Mothercare. Don't think you should be using stretch mark cream on your nipples. Why don't you call your gynae to check? I had itchy and sore nipples in first trimester. Now thankfully stopped.

Flos - thanks for the tip about Mt A.

I just checked MOH website on hospital charges. It is quite weird. based on MOH findings, Mt A can be more ex than TMC for same bed, same procedure. I don't quite understand why. According to the site,TMC 1 bedder for natural delivery without epi is cheaper than MtA! Thougt MtA supposed to be cheaper.

BigToes/ Goldfish - heard Mt A food is yummy! I am quite greedy one...so that is one big reason why I thought abt Mt A over TMC because food is impt to me. Haha.

Oh! Does anyone know where the COMBI distributor shop is? I tried to check out the threads on this forum abt strollers....but info overload. So many brands!

<font color="0000ff">SarahMay
Thanks for ur reply. hhmm.... my nipple not itchy leh.. its the area around it.. so i didnt apply the stretchmark cream on my nipple lor.. juz the surrounding areas.. so terrible leh.. :p</font>

<font color="ff0000">Does anyone noe wats the rate for 1 bedder per nite at TMC? Based on quote i got from gynae's clinic... seems like $400.</font>

Goldfish- I forgot.... My facial therapist just told me abt her experience at Gleneagles. She said the hospital delivery ward was very big and cold. She didn't like it very much cos it was too big. She switched over to Mt A and liked it much better.

My insurance agent has another theory which is Mt A and TMC are more women and delivery places so have fewer chances of catching unwanted bugs unlike general hospitals like SGH, GH etc. I dunno if her theory holds water though. Haha.

Does anyone know when we have to decide on hospital?

Also, does the detailed scan cost extra money? Anyone thinking of doing the 3D scan too? Know how much?

SarahMay (sarahmay) - From my SIL:
Tai Sing Corpn, which is the distributor for Combi products here in Singapore. You can see the full range of combi products. 732 North Bridge Road Tel 62912633

sasa de mouse (sasa_xie) - i can't remember off hand, but u shd be able to check the rates off their website. Think its something like $450/nite, excluding the extra cost for your hubby to sleep over (think $80 &amp; his portion of the meals) and the baby cot charges ($50 - this, I assume is the fees for having the baby in the infant room - so have to pay for anyway).

hiya everyone!

my flu is almost recovered!... been relying on honey, propolis..to boost immune and lots of vicks to inhale...to clear blocked nose..
happy.gif

i just went for massage too..went to kenko too..been going there for a period of time already..bought a package there too.
happy.gif

FLOS: i just went brazilian last week..so i think it shouldn't be a problem.. just prob need to highlight to the therapist ba.. I am in my 15 wks..

I am looking forward to this friday too for my gynae visit.. hopefully we will know the gender..so many people has been asking me recently. Haha...

Hi, Millie

I might book appt to go for pedicure and medicure after I see gynae this friday.. Wan to be a nice mummy-to-be too.. so vain.. hahahaha...

Hi, SarahMay

My gynae said dun need to decide so early which hospital I want to deliver..I intend to go for Mount A right from the beginning... My SIL gave birth to my nephew and niece there and I quite like the place there except it is not very accessible and car park is very bad.. We can claim from our medisave to cover some of the hospitalization cost and delivery cost..

Wow, so many posts today!

Gold fish: Yah I have also heard TMC confinement food is nice… yummy!! But I think parking is still ok cos at 1st the parking was also detering me from choosing TMC. They have valet parking at additinal $1 and if there is no space at TMC parking, they will park your car at the Whitely big carpark &amp; drive you there to pick your car, so quite convenient.

Just saw my smallberry today, he is growing fine. Dr never measure his length leh.. Will be going for detailed scan on 16 Apr, aiyoo, so long away... Now pregnancy is stable so will only see gynae once a mth.. And took video of ultrasound for DH to see.. Kekeke.. Thanks to crayonshinchan's idea!

storeberry (storeberry) - wow, post up the video of smallberry's ultrasound to show us!! My appnt is at 5pm today - no mood to work!

Btw, yours and baby's nick is so cute - storeberry &amp; smallberry!
happy.gif
Mine is bigfattoes &amp; our baby's is smallfattoes (hubby's is gookytoes)! Even our blogs have the same nicks.

<font color="0000ff">Storeberry
That's good news to hear.. hehe... hhmm.. wondering ah.. how u take video if u go alone??

eh... ur Detailed Scan so fast wor.. juz need to wait 3 wks nia
happy.gif
</font>

Kekeke.. Bigtoes, actually smallberry was given by one of the forummers at the TTC thread so I thot its quite cute &amp; got stuck to it! Yours also very cute!!!

Ok later I upload into you tube but its not very clear leh. When the dr show me, i can only see the big head.. :p

Melisa: I lie o the bed &amp; took the video. My gynae pushed the monitor more towards me to record. Quite ok but not vey clear, cos of the lightings... The detailed scan is so near yet so far wor..

I just ate pepper lunch but think have alot of msg, I am so thirsty now!

<font color="0000ff">Storeberry
hehe... so was Dr Adrian v shock that u brot a videocam today?
happy.gif
i oso thinking of bringing a videocam the nxt time.. since hb wont be accompanying mi there... haha. but insisted that he muz accompany for bb's milestones.. like Detailed Scan...

wah... pepper lunch??? aiyoh... better drink more more water ah... i'm craving and thinking of Teppan-Yaki now...!!!
happy.gif
</font>

TMC vs other hosp
I loved my stay at TMC..cos I wasn't on epidural (at first), I was allowed to eat anything, and their food was quite good. Confinement food was also OK.

Personally, having visited friends at other hosp, I find Mt E and Glen too cold and "sterile"

Bigtoes
I got a dark-ish cherry wood cot from Baby Kingdom, which is convertable into a toddler bed. But now, adan sleeps on a single Ikea bed with added-on side rails.

Medela
Can't you order from other US sites? It's not just Hackley that sells them...I hope mine from ebay is OK...!

Millie
I am going to sign up for prenatal yoga at Whatever, at Keong Saik Rd (chinatown area)...dunno if any good yet tho...will try a class first before signing a package

Melisa: Nope, Dr Adrian was quite cool about it. Guess he is seasoned in seeing all sorts of things what mummy will do.. Kekeke... And one more good news!! there is no need to take hormone tablets anymore! I am so super happy!!!

Ava: I am also more for TMC now.. Most likely to deliever there...

SarahMay

Thanks alot.. I saw the babyBjorn the latest edtion cost $289..WIf the back support for parents so back will nt be so tiring..

Btw i think i m the 1 who asked abt combi too...Getting the $629 model..But hoping for discounts...

Sarah May and Goldfish:

Actually Mt A is not bad lah..just that there isn't much to see in the MacRitchie area. If you don't drive, it's damn sian to walk up from the bus-stop nearby and there is no MRT in that region.

Mt E is convenient but cost more if you frequently take cab or drive there for appts cos of the ERP in Orchard Road. But it's nice to be able to hop to the malls after that.

TMC's wards are ok, as my sis, sis-in-laws all gave birth there. The "aunty" nurses at all floors are really sweet and caring IMO. I'm not sure about the food, cos I am not particular about those 2-3 days meals. Anyway, I'm really liking my gynae and could hit it off with him. He is really very very nice and humourous.

Despite that the level 1 waiting lounge is really "obiang" in design, with kitschy chandeliers and old sofas &amp; carpets, I find it rather cosy...

Mei: I will go for massage after my 5th month to be safe.

Lemon: I'll go for my Brazilian wax after my next scan at week 17.

storeberry: it's really cute of you to call your baby "small berry". I can't help laughing in my office!

Ava (avalyn) - ur baby cot sounds perfect! We do want something that we can continue using for several years.

For Medela, yes - I assume you can order them from other eBay/Amazon sites. Just the Hackley one that is fussy about needing an international c/c, and having a fax/phone order. If its email orders, then vPost can still do it for u. Just that Hackley's was the cheapest @US$230, thou the other sites are also okie, considering the disparity btwn US &amp; Spore prices.

JJParents (jjparents) - do u think u would be using the babyBjorn carrier much? I was thinking of getting both the combi pram &amp; a carrier as well, but not sure how many months we would actually use the carrier before the baby grows too heavy &amp; impractical to carry around!

Hi ladies, feeling a bit excited so thought of sharing. ;P I think I felt my baby's first kick today. This week is my 15th week (due 16 Sep).

Took leave to rest today (to make my long weekend even longer..hehe) and who knows, while I was happily trying to sleep longer after hubby left for work at 8am, some extremely loud drilling noises started right above my bedroom. My God! They have to do it today while I'm on leave! I tried to stuff wet cotton buds in my ears and tried to hide under my quilt but the noise was really too loud and too near to bear. Then I was putting one hand to cup my ear, and the other hand over my tummy. And it happened. I felt 2 gentle pushes against my palm. Just that. This is the first time I'm feeling this. The feeling is different from wind in the stomach, in fact, my stomach/body didn't feel anything, my palm did! It was really an amazing moment. I wasted no time, I knew straight away that this drilling noise was too unbearable even for the little one inside me. I jumped out of bed right away, brushed my teeth (didn't even comb my hair), took some coins and out of my house within 5 mins! Luckily my parents are living only blocks away and I can still go there to hide. =)

i am thinking to deliver in raffles hospital..

i was surprised that after comparing the rates with TMC, Mt Alv., and Raffles...raffles was the cheapest..

how come ah??

By the way, I was so confused by price list given by the hospitals..

They stated the room rates (which is just hundreds), and the rates stated with normal delivery, assisted delivery, caesarean (which is by thousands)...

which one do we take?? *scratch head*

I am with private gynae, which charges about $1K for normal delivery.. i'll have to add on the hospital charges...so...which one ah??

Baby carrier

I don't know if I am the only one (probably not), but I have lots of stuff for my first baby besides Baby Bjorn. :p I have a moms in mind sling, that I used to sling my baby to sleep and I have my baby bjorn when we went travelling (up grand canyon etc). I have a travel system stroller set that allows an infant car seat to be latched on when he was younger and still asleep in his carseat, and now, he uses a Peg Perego cos that's plusher and he can sleep more comfortably.

Actually at different stages, they will use different things. So there is no one right solution on the carrier to have. I think for Singapore, it's really bb-unfriendly compared to the US. You can't even bring the stroller on the underpass at Orchard (between MRT station and Tangs/ Isetan/ Wheellock place) cos there are steps everywhere. It these times, that the Baby Bjorn and Sling becomes useful I think.
happy.gif

Bigtoes (limay)

I also dunno leh...hahaa...
From what my buddies experience they dun use the carrier at all...only sarong for first 2 mth after that is stroller all the way...

I was thinking of the carrier cos
1) I can get contact much with the baby, smell the baby..hehe

2) wad if my child refuse to slp in the stroller, i think the carrier will help..

3) if my child wans me to carry, the carrier would be of great help..

4) crowded areas or shopping time, pushing strollers up n down stairs etc will be bothersome

lemon (lemon1000) - u need to add ur own gyne's charges + room rates (1-2 nites), + anaesthesia fees (for epidural)+ maybe operating theatre charges (under GA, if LA (epidural), then i think delivery is in the room itself - mommies is that right?) + other incidentals (supplies used, medicines, painkillers etc). On top of that, add 7% GST. Other expenses could include the lactation consultant, the pedetritian etc.

Bigtoes/JJParents
I loved my bjorn...so much so, i got a second (second-hand) one so we have two for the new arrivals! We ended up not using the stroller much, esp after adan started walking (then running)...but it was useful for the first few months, esp when you are not used to baby's weight in the beginning. Adan hated the sarong sling so I never used it. sold it off in fact.

Stroller is also useful for when you go to the toilet!!!

To cut a long story short, get both a carrier and a stroller....but I wouldn't spend too much on a stroller.

Bigtoes
My cot wasn't very fancy, but it did the job. Got it from Baby Kingdom at Kaki Bukit.

Lemon
You add the package (thousands) to the gynae's fees. The thousands $$ is based on a number of days' stay, usu 2 days for normal and 3 days for C-sec. If u need to stay longer, then just add in the additional day rates, usu somewhere on the list. Not so sure about the incidentals that Bigtoes mentioned...i.e. whether these are already included in the package...

ava, can a std sized stroller fit into the toilet cubicle or would you need to leave it outside (with bb i presume)? this toilet portability thing never even crossed my mind! i imagine i would be out alone with bb quite a lot so yes, this is important!

xuanting
depends on the loo, but if u go into the handicapped one, def the stroller can fit. Anything;s better than dangling baby from a carrier while u wipe yourself tho!

ava, bigtoes..
thanks thanks for your answers...haha, i think I kinda get it already.
happy.gif

woo...delivering in sg very expensive! Haha..

I am intending to go without epidural. I am rather sure I am able to do it. Will do all preparation to make it a smooth delivery. My pain threshold is rather high. Will take raspberry leaf tea, coconut, in the last few weeks..and do some massaging to v* too...

May want the help to aromatherapy during contractions too.

I just want to experience the 'pain'.
happy.gif

RXmom, ya, I agree... the public transport system in Singapore is not very ideal for people with strollers... I have learnt how to go up and down the stairs with strollers...

I personally felt I have wasted plenty of money as I have THREE strollers, TWO slings from Mothercare and Baby Bjorn, ONE sarong sling.. I ended up with THREE stollers all due to forgetting to pack the stroller when I go on a holiday before my daughter knows how to walk.... cannot tahan carrying her all the time so in then end bought a stroller... I first purchased the Mothercare sling cos it was cheaper than Baby Bjorn BUT it was so difficult to wear it. It needs an additional person to help to buckle everything up properly... My daughter does not really like it as well... Tried the sarong sling... it was ok but after a while, she does not like to be confined... Then bought the Baby Bjorn one, she does not like it either... so in the end, just carried her when necessary... use the stroller at all times... move up and down the stairs with the stroller... sometimes some kind soul will help me carry the stroller down/up... sometimes, people just watch me do it... so conclusion, you might have to try it out for a while first before purchasing else $$ might be wasted...

just completed my Amniocentesis this morning... hope everything goes well...

ava, ah yes, the handicapped toilet! never thought of that either! experienced mommies must share more!

hi ying ling, is it a two-week wait for the results? hope it'll be good. you're on one week mc from today right?

hi xuanting, thanks! I paid a little more for a fast 48hr result as well... it only tests for the major chromosomes defects... so still have to wait for two weeks for a detailed one.. but at least get some form of assurance before that... expecting a boy this time round so hopefully everything goes well... then have one boy one girl... then can close factory.. haha... As i am a private tutor, so i dun need MC... but as Sat and Sun classes are pretty full, i am resting at home up till Friday... after that i told my gynae i need to go back to the centre to teach but will do it sitting down... he gave me a funny look but did not comment, so i guess should be fine... i feel fine now anyway, only a little bit uncomfortable at times...

and yes, i can only use the handicapped toilet with the stroller... not possible to squeeze into the small little cubicle with the stroller... also as what AVA described, carrying her and trying to pee at the same time is not so easy... i ever did see a mother going into the toilet leaving the baby in the stroller outside the cubicle.. i was thinking this woman is CRAZY! i could have jolly well pushed her stroller with me when i exited the toilet... she might have been the maid and not the mum...

lemon, glad that you have the determination... I told my gynae that i did not want the epidural.. then on the day of delivery, when i felt so uncomfortable at the way the gynae and nurses check for the cervix opening size, he told me this is only a small little portion of what i will be feeling later... i gave up and decided to use epidural... haha... even with epidural, i could feel the contractions and i was thinking luckily i am on epidural... anyway, good luck in trying to get through the delivery without epidural... i caved in last minute...

Back