(2008/09) Sep 2008

Morning to all! Can I check with you gals, do anyone know the rice wine ( 糯米酒or 黄酒) cook with chicken? Do you know where to buy it? Thanks!

Hey mommies,

Have you all thought of where to go to get your first month cakes? Did not get that when i delivered no 1 since I was in the US, but now, would be nice to give, esp to colleagues.

Isabelle: I still dun understand how u BF your bb on the MTR in HK. The BabyBjorn Air allows u to carry the baby upright, so how did u tilt him at an angle to suckle on your breast? I understand only Ergo and Combi, or for that matter, a sarong sling, allows u to achieve that cradle position. Won't he get neck ache latching on u?!!!

sunrays: that's very sweet of your hb!! Will he prepare savoury stuffs too?

RXmom: First mth cakes? Many yrs back, Bengawan Solo "cake collection cards" were very common in SG. I got that every other month in the year 2000! You can pick any cake/pastry listed on the card.

I'm sure other confectioneries like Sweet Secrets/Angie the Choice/Temptations/BreadTalk/FourLeaves/PrimaDeli will have the same "card system". Of course, if your colleagues/relatives give u big angpows, u can order from the more upmarket bakeries (like Bakerzin, Canale).

I just discovered that Cova, the bakery from Milan, now at Paragon Level 1 (Next to CITIBANK COUNTER), sells very pretty Italian cakes and pastries. I believe u can order them for your birthdays, weddings, or first mth parties. The boxes and ribbons are to die for!

How abt Royal Copenhagen Cafe's cakes? I find them a bit too hard...

Hotel confectioneries are a good choice too.

How much, I dunno
happy.gif

sunrays,
thanks for arranging
happy.gif
v kind of u..
I finish my class by 4.30pm (2pm - 4.30pm), hence if it is a evening gathering, I would be able to go for it. I could do Sat's morning too
happy.gif
I am ok with any outlet.

blackberry,
Rice wine - my mom said usually ppl home-made it...so u must ask ard those market aunties whether they sell them? Maybe check with your mom or MIL..

alabone/stef&seanbabes,

I booked my postnatal with malayheritage back in May. Actually, I used Mdm Rokiah for my #1. She has stopped providing the service and is now the principal trainer for malayheritage (her hubby's business). She's quite good. Lost all my wt gain within 2 mths (but then I was quite petite to start with). Based on reviews in the forum and on the website, I requested for Mdm Suriyah this time round.

Sunrays,

I prefer 19 July. Robertson Walk is next to my office, so weekday gathering would be very convenient but too bad, always need to rush off to pick J#1. I dine at Canele for lunch/breaks pretty often.

12/13 July will be bz period for my family cos we are celebrating J#1's 2nd birthday!

Sunrays: Your DH is so considerate! Even plan a special menu for us!!! Thanks!! I am fine with both dates & no prob for robertson walk!
happy.gif

Sarah: Yah man! But this morning before I wake up, bb is up & going, disturb my sleep today.. Haha! No, haven't decide on the name yet but got a list alr.. :p

Mickey: My loots is not with you at ORQ right? Cos I emailed u about 10plus yday, didn't dare to sms u cos quite late liao.. If not I will collect from ur house. Let u know again!
happy.gif
Is my items very bulky??

sunrays, both 12 and 19 july is fine with me. thanks for organising
happy.gif

blackberryB, i don't know where to buy the rice wine but i got the steps to make it. if you like to know, i can send u the steps.

RXmom, i also saw the Sweetest Moments cakes for the full month at the Expo. The packaging looks pretty. but lately i came upon this cupcake site, they make pretty cupcakes for full month too.
http://www.cupcakedivinity.blogspot.com/

naming bb
we have decided on the english name for bb. chinese name..still no action yet..will go to border this weekend to look for those chinese naming books.. weekend is so short and so much to do!

hi sunrays
12 and 19 jul r both fine for me. I am salivating now just hearing abt all the goodies!!! Ur hubby is so nice!!!

Btw, have decided not to get the synergy after all that thinking cos white is too easily dirtied tho i love the colour. And black is just too boring for me... Most of all, my hubby will kill me if i get another baby bjorn! Thx for the offer!
happy.gif

qiuling
i got no more mc cos i went to work for 3 days in term 1, kenna bleeding and was on mc for the rest of my first trimester. Then when i thot i cld go back in term 2, i kenna bad bad cough and flu so I only went back 2nd week of term 2. Now what i'm activating is special sick leave and after yest n today's mc, i have only 1 day of paid mc left... Shucks. But i guess no choice lor...

thx sarah may
happy.gif

flos
baby bjorn is suitable for newborns cos there's a special piece of insert in the carrier to support the neck. Mebbe u can check out the instructions before u buy. Plus there's even special straps near the for the 'leg holes' for babies which r still very small so that they dun slip out!
I only bought mine when my girl was 6 mths old cos I cld'nt imagine carrying her weight and walking ard on holiday!
How I bf her: I loosen the carrier straps and till her mouth is at my bust level, then i cover with the breastfeeding cover (ppl think i'm trying to make her sleep) and put my hand thru my bf dress, lift up my thermal wear, unhook the nursing bra and let her suckle. Ppl really can;t see, they just think u're pacifying ur baby. And anyway, they dun expect u to be breastfeeding that way, so that helps! It's quite inconspicious cos the MTR is crowded anyway.
I guess it was also easy for me cos total bf was something i really wanted to do, and i had a positive mindset abt it, so i didn't consider anything difficult.

CUPCAKES
Ooh i love cupcakes!!! Baked my girl's cake for her 2nd b'dae and surrounded it with cupcakes. Was thinking if i cld bake my own for my baby's first mth celebration party. But guess will be too busy and exhuasted! LOL

Depending on where u order from and the complexity of design, it can cost even $4.50 and above per cupcake... which to me is quite quite ex!!! Even those home bakers can charge these sort of prices, which are comparable to to Le Patissier. So cupcake divinity's cakes r really very very reasonable!

cupcake momma
i saw from some other thread some time ago, forgot which, that one mommy found the taste and design disappointing when she ordered for her son's b;dae. Apparently turned out diff from the pics...

RXmom,

I think it depends on what you intend to do for the full month celebration and how traditional the family is. We didn't hold any full month party (hence, it means we have to deliver the actual cakes) and our families are very traditional (so they want the cakes/ang ku kueh/glutinous rice thing).

So we did 3 things:
1. Traditional package from Choz for immediate family and close relatives (must deliver to their doorstep)
http://www.chozconfectionery.com/2007/home.php
2. Assortment pack from Choz for colleagues to share since they are all in one location
3. For friends, we mail them the Bengawan vouchers cos it's too troublesome to deliver actual cakes. Plus some of them fedback that they can't finish the cakes or have been eating too many cakes due to back-to-back bb showers. So vouchers worked well for them as they can exchange for other kuehs or like me, can offset the cost of 1st Birthday Cake we bought for J#1.

lok
i like to receive cupcakes (that is, if they taste nice) and also the vouchers. Cos during CNY can buy from bengawan solo and serve to guests! Hee hee

Isabelle, no worries, hope you feeling better.

I've got what I needed. I bought the Avent Steam Steriliser (not the IQ one), and the Avent ISIS Uno Elect. Breastpump.
happy.gif

Storeberry: Yours is aat my place. If you wanna come over to my place to collect, let me know. I need to call my maid so she can go identify your loot bag and then she can pass to you. I've just changed her so need to guide her a bit.

Mei: Pls ensure my maid passes you 2 bags that are labelled for Mei and Sunrays separately. Give her your nic so she knows which package to pass to you. Thanks
happy.gif

cupcake momma,
i took a pic some time back..quite ok. But i must say the box packaging is so-so (normal paper box with satin ribbon) They also provide a name tag for bb's details.

isabelle,

That's what we did. Use 6-7 vouchers to almost completely offset the bengawan cake we bought for J's 1YO birthday. The vouchers have 1 yr expiry
happy.gif

For cupcakes, guess if there is no party or gathering at single location and u hv to deliver them to doorstep, it can be a logistic nightmare. So really depends lor.

Thanks mommies for the feedback on the full month cakes.
happy.gif

Lok, you got packages from Choz for them to share? My colleague also got from Choz previously and she gave a box to each who gave ang baos... which is quite alot cos we have a culture here of contributing when anyone delivers. I am also thinking of doing that... have shortlisted choz too, since they seems to have many endorsement from local artistes and I have already heard good reviews on them. How do you find their cakes/ ang ku kuehs, etc?

Another one I am thinking of is e-creative... anyone received/ tasted their full month cakes/ pastries before?

Not too sure if I will be having a full month celebration at home. But regardless of that, will still need to get the full month cakes for colleagues...

RXmom, i used choz for my wedding.. they are good. the cakes are freshly bake on the day u want it and deliver to ur place.. relatives say the cake is nice too...

e-creative is full of cream.. just had 1 recently.. not very nice.. just pretty to see.

RXmom,

I think we bought 3-4 boxes of "Wonders of Life" (4 items X 4 each) for my dept to share because they sent a gift in the name of the dept. General feedback on their food is quite good. Maybe because they are popular, so very experienced and fresh.

For colleagues on other floors, they get vouchers.

We shortlisted ecreative and melrose previously. Can't remember why my hubby chose Choz in the end (think it looks nicer and more presentable. Note the cake is quite sizeable.)

hi girls, good day to all ;-)

This time i am not going to miss the gatherings! I'm ok with both 12th/19th July at Robertson walk.

Sunrays, thanks for organizing and of cse also to your DH for being soooooo sweet.

Cakes for full month
I'm also planning to use Choz but seems like sweetestmoments' packaging looks better. Mrs Yap, do their cakes taste good?

As for cupcakes, I think the mazipan(the correct term?) is toooo sweet. Usually when I rcv cupcakes, I'll only eat the cake.

anyone know if isnt ok to get more NB pampers then S size.. Cox my Choice Voucher ending this month so duno should i get more NB pampers a not

crayonshinchan - havent stock up.. i bought two pack only.. but as my voucher date expire this mth so duno want to stock up more NB also a not

Ah.. full month celebration topics now!
I saw a few links on those 1st month pastries previously
http://www.sweetestmoments.com.sg/fullmonth/fmPackages.aspx?PGroup=fm2008
http://www.mytreasurebox.com.sg/products.htm#3

bt have not tried it so no comments wor

So actually, what is the ‘rule’ of 1st month tingie huh?
If I throw a 1st month celebration @ home (ie catering) and invite relatives/friends/colleagues, do I need to give them those pastries in return?
Liddat quite ‘xiong’ leh

I think ti is a logistic nightmare to hand-deliver those pastries to relatives lo.. they are all ard Singapore lo
Colleagues wise, must give one huh? For ‘face’ purposes issit huh?

Koras: I think 2 packs of NB is enough. Hospitals generally give 1 pack of 36 NB, Pampers. Get small may be more useful since we cannot be sure how big our bbs will be when they are born.Some smalls can be worn on NBs like the Pampers Premium New Baby ones - 3kg - 7 kg.

isabelle: Thanks for your doula contact! i saw their prices online. A bit pricey for me. Hehe. But guess it is a worthwhile investment!DO they allow doulas into the delivery ward though?

koras, hmmm..2 pack only ah.. then i think u'll have to decide on ur own liao... like i said, just in case baby outgrows super duper fast..like my nephew.. quite a bit of the NB diapers were given away.

goldfish, I'll be throwing a party for my ah lao's side of relatives, my own family members, frens and closer colleagues.

As for relatives on my side, I wont be inviting cos it will be too far for them and plus I think they will be so sick of attending full month parties for my family side alone. hahaa.. Every year once and last year twice. LOL. So I'll be ordering cakes for them lor. And own family members. Thats it.

Else a bit too shiong on money side..

Hi Goldfish,

For colleagues, there is no need to give if they did not give gifts/ ang baos. Giving them the full month cakes is a way of saying thanks, for those who did give presents/ ang baos.
happy.gif
In my organisation, normally they will give ang baos for new babies. They will also help to distribute the full month cakes, so I won't need to be around on the day of delivery to my office.

sarah may
like ava i also birthed at TMC. They allow hubby and doula in. Oh yes, it was a worthy investment, that's why i got her again, but after much deliberation though, cos of the price...

Hmm since we're on the topics of my fav cupcakes now, thot I'd just share my school holiday project with u mummies: My girl's b'dae cake/cupcakes! Hee...
1513820.jpg

isa: thanks for your detailed instructions! I really like Air but am undecided when it'll give me ample lumbar support. Synergy seems to be the fav among the moms in this forum...

sunrays: 12th and 19th are both ok for me. I can't make it on Fri and Sun.

for those who has intentions to do 3D/4D scan at TMC.. better book fast.. i tried to book mine, is fully book... no queue accepted and must be done by week 32..

Anyone knows of any gynae doing this service?

mickey
Thanks a lot! I have collected the stuff from your maid already.
happy.gif
As for SarahMay, she's not in Singapore now.. she'll be back in July.

isabelle
Oh wow.. that's so impressive... your cake is gorgeous! What are the figurines made of?

3D/4D scan
I didn't know that the scan must be done by week 32. Anyway, I have done mine yesterday at 28 weeks at KKH.

<font color="119911">Flos (flos) - duno, maybe my bump looks quite big to the airline ticket counter person? What happens if I was just fat? Would be quite embarrassing! Thank goodness for the gyne's letter.
happy.gif

sunrays (sunrays) - lessons at AMK Hub ends at about 7pm on Saturdays - if its tea time, would be way too late for us to join
sad.gif
If not, then I am okie for both 12th &amp; 19th July. Can we do a dinner gathering or Sunday brunch instead?</font>

isabelle, the cake is so pretty.
Anyway, just want to know, wat can u substitute the marzipan with? to reduce the sweetness of the top layer..

Ava, I tried to bake those no brainer betty crockers PREMIX and only succeeded on the 3rd try! hahaa.. I think I cant bake for nuts. The cookies were either burnt or they were stuck to the baking paper. BAH! But i still want to try cos I think baking is as therapeutic as cooking.

Flos, I asked my gynae abt 3D scan.. Was kind of exp.. 2pics for 180buckeroos!

Bacon &amp;eggs, thanks. My mum &amp; MIL don't have friend to make this...Then I have to ask them to ask around...
Jessi , can you PM to me the steps...thanks ya!

Is it having a baby shower party for relatives and no need to distribute cake to them?

Ava,

At least u can cook. I can't cook. Neither can I bake. And the best part is my daddy owns a restaurant in Germany!

Gathering:

Can always change it to 26 July since 19 July is the last day of TMC lesson. Think most mummies prefer Sat to weekday or Sun.

Bigtoes,

The airline didn't ask for anything the last time I went at 26th week to Los Angeles. But hor, when I brought my breastpump to Langkawi, they scan and re-scan at the X-ray machine. Finally, they asked me what the heck is this!!!

<font color="119911">Lok (lok)- yes - 26th July would be preferred if that is not too late for most of us! I am delivering about 1 month after that!
happy.gif

Don't envy you flying to LA! Guess the airline ticketing person wanted to be sure cos i am already almost into my 30th week &amp; travelling alone, and most airlines do not allow international travel of >4 hours by week 32. I was suppose to go to Sydney in July as well, but looks like that would be impossible.</font>

Back