2007 sahm n bf mom

mummies hihi!

haven log in some time,

i've a qn to ask here:

do you all make it a pt to feed bb before his sleep every nite? even when it's not time up for milk feed yet?

my parents keep telling me i need to give the 'night feed' so that he can 'sleep longer'... but since day 1 i always insist feed only when 'time to feed' not when it's time to sleep...cos i dun wan to associate sleep with milk...

but seems like everyone is telling me otherwise. sigh, i'm quite confused.

what do u do?

like today, darling finished his dinner at 8, thereafter have apples and water... tried to put him to sleep at 10, slept at 1030. it's only 2 and half hr later... do i need to give him milk like in such cases?

i'm so tired of facing the same 'confrontation' - 'aiyo why never give him milk b4 his sleep?! poor bb! blah blah blah...'

am i wrong???

I dont give my daughter any milk feed before she sleeps now a days. AS she will still wake up for a 3am feed or earlier even if i latch her on before she sleeps.
So its not necessary for me to feed her at all.

Hi gretel (hansel),

I did give my 3 years boy formula milk.. And also BF my 1 year old boy b4 sleep too. As they feel more calm and confortable during their night.. But they usually take dinner at 6plus and sleep at 8plus..

For my elder son he sleep through the night till morning 7plus. but for the younger one, He still woke up in the middle of the night for BF..

If your child sleep through the night, i think feeding is needed.. Cause the night is too long..

regards
Ceshayne
(Hope it helps)

chargamine, is your boy better ?

gretel, mil also tells me the same thing. DS has his dinner between 630 to 7pm and i will feed him milk at 10pm. But half the time he would refuse or takes very little cos he will suckle to sleep. But i do not think taking milk will make them sleep through cos, even when DS finish up 150ml he still fuss throughout the night cos he wants to comfort suckle.

DS afternoon feed after lunch is also ad-hoc, sometimes he rejects sometimes he will drink half, so it really baffles me cos he could go without any milk for 6 hours till dinner time but will take the night feed like 2 to 3 hours after dinner.

So i think it depends on individual needs.

re : united square
mummies who go to UE can someone let me know how to get there from Novena mrt ? i vaguely remember there is a VERY LONG underpass linking the 2 places but i dont think i can walk that far with DS now. I think the shorter way is via the junction but in case it gets too hot or rain what is the alternative route ?

thanks !

Hi.

gretel,
DS has his diner at 5pm so I will give him a big bottle of milk before he sleeps at 8 p.m. He'll be 11 mths soon and has been sleeping through the night till abt 6.30 /7 a.m. In the morning when he wakes I will give him another big bottle of milk and some breastmilk. Trying to wean him off the day feeds now, so he manages with very little milk throughout the day.

Checked with my pd abt the night feed before sleep and pd thinks we should still feed the baby or else DS will not be able to sleep through the night. This was when ds was abt seven mths old.

re: united sq

there is an underpass to united sq from the mrt station, doesn't go directly into the building though... I usually walk above ground

mami35,
thanx for your concern..ds is recovering well
hi ladies,
just to share:
My boy is 13mths old and still tbf.An uneventful thing happened to us.We're thankful that up till his lil 13mths life, the onli ailment he had was a mild fever due to sensitive nose(once) and that was history.
So yes, 'mimilk' (breastmilk) has never failed us.
here goes, last friday he's body temp shoots up to 40deg(due to blocked nose again) and we rushed him to KKH.
We were given the priority and a dr attended to us in less than 10mins.A lists of 'torture treatment' (according to Ds) was done..andrenaline gas mask,blood tests, xray, oxylevel test was carried out. Being a boy who seldom cries or cling to me, for the 1st time he wailed hysterically and i guess the WHOLE emer room could hear him!(terrified)and so the other kids cried along too.
Me?(speeceless) My 1st instinct was 'put him to the breast momi!'I did and we nursed(peacefully) in the midst of the packed emer room.
The next thing i knew,he was calmly suckling and lulled himself to slumberland.
And so,he managed to 'seek comfort to the breast'.Phew,I thank GOD we have the privilege.
Dr even added that since he's on tbf,he'll recover @ a faster rate.Thanx again Doc for the assurance.
Nevertheless, I was a terrified 27yr old lady scrambling around goin from one station to the other.That was my 1st and I pray(my last).

Hi Chergamine,

i'm sorry to hear abt the episode u went thru.and tks for sharing the magic of our boobs! i alwiz tell my single frens boobs are not jus a sex symbol okay! but is designed for more 'saint' duties!i hope your son's fully recovered or recovering well now..

p/s: wow you're a young mummy - good good!

mamil35:
i guess the best is thru the tunnel leh, esp when u bring bb ard.the weather's so unpredictable these days.the tunnel leads u direct (thou supperrr lonngggg i agree - my office is nearby and bb's pd is there so i go there quite often, jus be entertained by the occasional musician there lor - if tt helps
happy.gif

tks mummies, for sharing regards feeding jus b4 sleep.i tink cheshayne said it all - 'As they feel more calm and confortable during their night' - mayb i shd had just listened to the elder folks to save me some sanity.they make me feel like i'm torturing my son..tt i'm depriving him of somethin arghh..i tink it's a small issue i shd hv jus listened and shut the topic bah..

mummies,i tink i'm goin back to full time work soon,somehow,my sahm experience jus din turn out the way i wish it to b...sigh,jus wan to share - when i convert to sahm,i've great plans-do flash cards,bring bb to swim/library at least once a week,go park expose to nature blah blah blah.

but...sahm is really not easy!tribute to all sahm.i felt such a loser for 'not achieving anythin'.my time (hour,min,sec)seems to be led by bb,not by me..as in,bb is the 1 who dictate wat to do next.everytin seems so unstructured.not to mention i've not helper so the hse in a mess doesn't make any better.or is it jus me?do u guys feel helpless?i end up been jus a sahm who cooks for bb,play w him.when he's asleep,i'm too exhausted to do anytin else ('cept surfing web like now-all other activities not interested)...sigh..i find it so demoralising and i'm unhappy.

mayb i've alwiz been a perfectionist and like to tk control,now my life is been 'taken control over'.and i vent it out on hubby,i know is unhealthy but...how??!! sigh.

just sharing.

hi gretel,
thanx for your concern.It had made me a stronger person..
re:young mummy
wahha,pple say i look even younger than my age and I do get stares and pple talking bout me(saying im so young for a baby)in mandarin!!
perhaps they do forget that we live in a multilanguage society where we do understand ec others languages..oops

re:sahm
oh yes, i second you.I had a hard time re-adjusting.Tried ways and methods to set out a routine.
Its a 'mind over matter' thingy..ermm..kinda enjoying it now.has become a lifestyle for me since ds is bigger and understands that we need to have a 'sort of daily routine'..so e rest is history
Having said dat,I do admire werking mothers.All the best to you dear.

chergamine,
tks for the encouragement
happy.gif
lets see how my interview goes.

(p.s: u fantastic - bf so long. kudos kudos! sounds like u not chinese issit? i jus kpo)

intend to return workforce after ds's 1st bday in less than a mth! woohoo! (happy cos he's turning 1 not cos i'm returning back work lar ;p )

every1's telling me the 1st yr is the toughest... hmm, will see how.

hey mummies!just to share after dropping my previous post, i decided to 'just do something constructive' so i brought bb for a swim - hee! now both bb and mummy feels good
happy.gif
))

i guess sometimes we jus need to GET OUT OF HOUSE else will fa mei, turn mouldy and become huang nian po ;p

Hi there,

wanna ask for brushing babies teeth, if anyone of you have experience.

Baby Clara just turns 7mths and her 2 lower teeth have emerged from the gums. So guess I'll have to start brushing her teeth rite?

prob is, at her last night feed, she'll usually doze off while (bottle) feeding. How to brush her teeth then??? She'll def scream if we disturb her sleep.

So far, have not used the finger brush yet, just use a wet cloth to clean her gums/teeth or whatever she allows.

Any idea anyone?

hi gretel,
HAHA..kpo is good sometimes!!
Yup.me not chinese.
Initially bfeeding is tough,but as ds get older..its a breeze now!can nego somemore..'Wait ya sayang,5more mins to 'mimilk' wahahhah
Oh yesh of course,you need to get outta house for some fresh air.My 1st trip with ds on the mrt was great fun.Was surprise that he actually enjoys bus /train rides rather than car rides.
btw,HAPPY ADVANCE BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DS..

jaime,
thanx for the concern.He's on his feet now.Running ard again.No more clinging.N stop bitting my tits(ouch).He's starting talking more now.Mom said,old pple say...kids got sick cos they r getting smarter!!oh..how i wish its true,n no other reasons behind ya
re:finger brush
I started using on ds @5mths when we welcomed his 2 front teeth.Aint easy.Up till now,still have to coax and SING SONG LAH!!!
'EVERY MORNING BRUSH YOUR TEETH..BLA...BLA..BLA..
He'll comply...but certain days..def NO NO
Try morning,after food..let him play with the brush...well,sometimes i still use towel!!Now have to liao,cos all front teeth are here.
All e best

My pd told me on our last check up on friday that my daughter will be the few "special" 5% of babies to have her first tooth after 1year old.
Amazing.

vally,

dun worry too much abt late sprouting of teeth, wat will come will come
happy.gif

jaime,
try the first teeth brand toothpaste - it comes with a finger brush. for last feed, i don't clean bb's teeth, only clean when i bathed him in the morning and evening. after last night feed jus use hanky to wipe, to prevent milk rash. tat's all. dun dare to clean teeth man! will wake the emperor up and no ends ;p..

but even brushing teeth during bath time, like wat chergamine has said, i tink most bbs have their 'moods' - sometimes easy sometimes totally NO NO. ya, mus sing along, let them taste the paste (yucks!) and all sorts of things.

chergamine, so glad your ds is well and running. must have scared you a great deal at the hospital running all those tests ! know what you were going through cos DS had high fever and hospitalized when he was 2 months and throughout i kept asking myself what did i do wrong - air con too cold, bath water too cold, did i pass him any germs .. the thoughts went on and on ....

jamine, very funny clip, made me laughed along too .. kekeke

i am also having trouble TRYING to brush DS 8 teeth, sigh he bite me so hard !!! have bought the finger brush but not used yet, i dont think i can do it alone, will get DH to do it with me during weekend, any tips on getting them to open up their mouth ? hmmm i thought to use toothpaste only after they know how to spit ?

gretel, how was the interview ? grrr .. i thought United Square might have some new linkway now .. sigh guess i have to endure that treacherous LOONNG stroll ...

i had a "great illusion of being a sahm" before DS came along .. i had it all "figured out" .. it would be a wonderful experience with "daily routine" set out, bb would be playing in his playpen i would be cooking in the kitchen and waiting for DH to come home for dinner and by 9pm bb would be asleep and we would have some personal time etc etc ... HA !!! no such thing, EVERYTHING IS THE OPPOSITE !!! me can't do anything cos DS is so used to being carried and entertained and refused to be in the playpen ... no home cooked food if mil is not around .. so will wait for DH to come back with packed food .. personal time ? now way cos DS wakes up so many time at night for comfort suckling that i am a zombie ... there you have it .. my life story for the pass year !!! but i still LOVE MY BABY SOOOO MUCH !!! ha ha mushy but true :)

mami35,
sure am.afer 2 weeks of 'confinement' at home,we finally hit e streets and as per norm lor..
But it felt diff..in a way,I love him sooo much more...MUSHY MUSHY huh.
That episode made him lost weight!!Appetite!!
Now, he's back on track and like i said before..no longer comfort suckling(esp at nite)
slept thru nights now..all e way till 10am phew
re:SAHM
Almost identical as yours at the initial stage!!hahah
Diff was,my parents will come evry evening and mum wld packed some dishes dat she cooked for the day from home.N sometimes..have to wait for hubby for packed food!!
comfort suckling at nite:
my ds used to enjoy dat..gosh!!became zombie too but then i realised,as it became too frequent..ill just have to 'enjoy' it and the phase will pass...well it did!!!hahahah
Now,ill just unsnap the bra-clips and he'll help himself if he wants to suckle at nite..heheh..my son for you!!ever exploring yet...i LOOOOVE HIm so much..MY ALL

Activities for parents and your kids :

sunday, 20th July
8.30am to 12pm
bishan park the green (along ang mo kio ave 1 opposite Caltex petrol station, near the Bishan park skating ring)
tel : 65515424
admission is free

this is to promote Pneumococcal awareness.
activities include, face painting, puppets, ballons etc.

chergamine, so glad everything is back to normal for you :) .. ya ya i also have the same thoughts about comfort suckling, "it shall pass" but i think think better to give him the "bitter gourd" treatment hee hee, i dont have much stamina left. so when are you going to wean him ?

mummies, can you share how to teach bb to suck from straw ? i bought the mag mug but ds does not know how to suck up the water.

hi celestine, welcome :)

Chergamine, Mami35
I am still breastfeeding my 25mths old girl. I think hers has become a habit, but I do treasure this special bonding.

hi CG,
WELCOME
wah 25mths goin strong...ill join u shortly..if u ca,i can rite rite..hehhe

Mami35,
i gave ds the magmag cup with straw when he was 7mths..hahha he did it!!sucked water up till now..enjoys drinking from e straw..but he dont really know e spout type..oops
ok,wat i did was..i showed him how to suck..from the magmag itself and he follows.Quite surprised though that he followed exactly wat i did.But u have to keep a watch as ds will choked a lil at the 1st few trials...then after few practices..he'll be a pro liao...all e best..cia yo

ANIWAE MUMMYS,ANYONE GOIN DOWN FOR THE MASS BREASTFEEDING SESSION IN AUGUST..IM ON..HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU THERE..

FOR MORE INFO:http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/

OH..MAMI35,
i did tried the bittergourd treatment...guess wat!!
HE DIDNT CARE!!!in fact,i was curious so i gave him bittergourd dat was in my dish...ATE IT Up..mmm..any better idea?
LIme??he loves sourish stuff...tink he got it from me cos during preggy, i walloped omos anything...;o)

CG not easy to do this for 2 yrs.

chergamine, your ds is not a fussy eater, you should be glad !!! just saw my grand nephew had his dinner, gosh he spits out 90% of every spoon fed .. headache
you intend to wean soon ? my sis just let her twins cried for a few days, but i dont think you are going to try this right ?

i did let ds try the straw cup when he was 8 months, but he just bite it so i have not tried since then.

medical insurance - anyone can advise which company is good ? i was thinking of INCOME, but my friend told me not too good when it comes to claiming, slow and inefficient.

mami35,
before birth,I aimed till his 1st bday.
during confinement, I dipped down to 6mths(stress)
@ 4mths++,It was during the fasting month dat he started to sleep thru the nite and we were so accustomed to it. A breeze...so I aimed for age 1 yet again..mm
after he started on solids well at about 8-9mths, I felt so attached to him and it seems that d breast is my weapon.To soothe,calm or replenish.We now aimed for 2yrs and beyond..
Or put in this way,I'll wean him when we start to plan for a 2nd...can?
Frankly,Ill be sad to wean him off.The bonding we share now, is inexplicable
OK,hubby said "Wean him off gently ok hons!"
For now,whenever possible..I did gave him ebm in the straw cup..mmm not too bad.
Maybe,some distractions will do.Mom suggested sending him to her werkplace(playgrp)earlier.Cos it seems that,he loves meeting up with his peers.He'll forget about the breast(Me!! persay)and he'll just drink from e straw mug..
Crying method!!Both MOMs will kill me if i do dat man!!Or worse curse me..
So mami35,when du intend to wean off?

Chergamine
I tried formula milk powder of all brands she rejected. I tried goat milk she also rejected. Then no choice but to continue to bf, and let her drink some fresh milk which she actually likes.

Mami35
AIA, for child medical insurance, I find it the best!

mami: you can try letting your son use the straw cup when he is older, my son used to just spit all the water all over the place when he was about 8-9mths, so I kept it away. But now that he is 11m+, he can drink very well from it and will only spit out the water when he doesn't want to drink.

cher: thanks for the mass bfeeding session info, may be going with my friends!

wow din check in for long.

mamil35,

tks for asking. i don tink i got the job but anyway, even if i did i dun tink i wan it cos...need to wk on WEEKEND! every weekend somemore. i dun tink i wan to forego family time for tat...

mummies,
i tink i'm found some courage to continue being a sahm for more time, tink it needs time to adjust and be realistic in expectations!

mamil35, u said it all, b4 i was tinking of having home cooked food, wait for hubby come back, u know those lovely dovely scenerio?! NO WAY man haha! the reality is really opp. my neighbour keeps encouragin me to try for #2, arghh, till my life gets more 'settled' 1st bah. mayb when ds is 2yo.

i read tat the best age gap is 18 - 23 mths...

hi gretel,
#2: I second you..
aft ds 2yrs and up

now still gasping...;)

aniwae,welcome back to sahm(take it slow ya)
ps:my house is in a mess now thanx to ds(crockeries,utensils evrywhere)but we're having a great time..hahah *wink*

hi. can i join in tooo this seems to be a very lively thread... i ahve a little girl 17 months. I am SAHM and BF.

Kids are innetially reluctant to feed out of any thing, just give them the straw cup for a while fill it with water and let them play with for some time and demonstrate how to use it and try givng it to them to feed , they will learn more quickly thyan we expect , be patient ...

hello icemom welcome. hee hee i gave the straw cup to DS on weekend, yup he sucked it up but still need to get used to it cos sometimes he still bite with his teeth and tried to suck at the same time !!

sleek / gretel, agree, on no2, no way can i be pregnant and run after DS now, i am also thinking 2yr apart is a good time frame.

by the way gretel, is your period back since you wean like 2 months back ?

chergamine, ha ha i think your DS is hinting you time to "redecorate" the house :) as for weaning, i think i will do it soon cos i have irregular period so want to monitor my cycle and plan for 2nd.

medical insurance - 2 mummies recommend AIA ok i will check it out, sleek will let you know if i need the contact thanks !

breastfeeding session - no way my DH will let me be there, i can only BF in enclosed room.

welcome CG and icemon!
happy.gif

mamil35
yap, my menses came back the month i stopped bf! amazing how body works hee.

re: medical insurance
i bot from GE tat time cos their's the only one that covers congenital illness, which i tink is impt. u may like to check it out.

re: drinking from straw
guess i'm not patient enuff, he ends up messing all over and ALWAYS w/o fail have to change clothes which - is a challenge cos he'll crawl and twist and turn - u know acrobatics?!!! it's so tiring...

so now still giving bottle
sad.gif

re: huggies diapers - jus want to share
got tis info from another thread.
$13 for any size any type (pull up pants, huggies dry or dry comfort) FREE DELIVERY somemore.

call ah-guek at 97572843

i called but she doesn't deliver to yishn yet, need combine more orders round north area b4 she come. so she said she'll call me once she'd enuff order. i wan to try the pull up pants, these days really can't wear diapers for ds...!

Re-baby no2.
I have just switch from sahm to part time working mom. BUT, i bring my daughter along to work as we run our own company. Both parents are working and we do not have a caretaker. So basically i am taking care of her full time.
Me and my husband comes to an agreement we will try for no when she is about 2 and a half yrs. So we can focus on 2nd one as i always feel, no2 should be as special and exciting like no1.
cheers.

gretel, you have to not mind the mess, just close one eye ... it would be worst when they are learning to self feed.

re : huggies pull up - i had the same idea as you cos nearly impossible to wear diaper without help. BUT guess what ? it is equally difficult with pull up pants, one leg in the other leg out also have to struggle but it would be easier after they can stand

re : finger food
any recommendations for finger food ? i give biscuits, bread and now carrots, what else can we try ? but i dont want to encourage DS to snack too much on biscuits so i tried carrots, but he likes them less even though, and he refuses apples !!! no yoghurt yet cos he is slightly allergic to cow milk. trying the shell pasta today

I dont know about other mums experience with pullups but for my son, it does not hold as much urine as normal diapers (logically since it's supposed to be used when potty training).
happy.gif

re: the mass bfeeding session at central, I'm interested to go but not to listen to all the talks... hahah!

mami: I also have a headache when it comes to finger food for my son. But as he's older now besides the usual biscuits, I've been giving him fresh lightly boiled broccoli, plain rice, various melons cooked in unsalted soup (wintermelon, 'lao wang gua', etc), horizon cheese sticks/ slices (but your DS is allergic to cow milk, so not an option for you), cucumber, fruits like blueberry, cherry, steamed corn kernels like the one from macdonald's.

sleek, agree on the pull ups, it does not hold as much pee, not sure if it is the same with all brands ? i have only tried huggies, bought mamypoko not tried yet.

re : finger food
i tried the shell pasta DS played with it but not too happy while eating, spit it out, maybe i will mixed with veggies next time cos i gave it to him plain.

what do you mean unsalted soup ? you cooked in soup as normal but dont add salt ? ha ha you give plain rice as snack ? how much does your boy take ? where do you get the corn kernels from i would like to try that for DS.

do you think we could bring these fresh finger food (steam carrot, corn etc) while we are out ? I would much prefer them to biscuits.

mami, dont know le, like you I've only used the huggies pullups. Perhaps it's cos huggies in general seems to be able to hold less pee than mamy poko? heh.

My mum slow cooks soup for our meals, so before she salts it for us adults, she will put aside some of the cooked melon for my son to eat. Yeah, just give him the plain rice and he will eat till he has enough, cos he's not actually hungry but greedy since everytime we're eating our meals, he will make alot of noise to share! And recently we started feeding him rice with soup for his meals too, cos he's bored of porridge, would throw tantrums and even make vomiting actions when eating porridge!

I just give him the corn kernels from macD's http://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/@q=eatsmart_corn.htm if I order it when I am there, if you want to cook it at home, you just need to pluck the kernels from a cob of fresh corn then steam it, like what those stalls at the pasar malam do for our steamed corn. Or you could also steam those frozen packed corn. Of course you can bring those fresh finger food out, great idea
happy.gif

Back