2007 sahm n bf mom

S@L
i agree will u bb is our portable pump when we go out. i also take the risk of not bringing pump out when go shopping with bb. i can latch on when i feel engorged but must calculate the timing cos sometimes bb would't want to latch n i'm very engorged. lucky i'm at home!

S@L,
Hahaha.. I have the same problem initially. Now my body has more or less adjusted to my son's demand. I guess oversupply happens when supply > demand. And in your case supply is > demand because you pump after latch and your breasts thought that is the total amount extracted from latching and pumping is the amount needed. Which I believe is the reason why your friend suggested that you don't pump after latching. Hopefully you can adjust the supply such that you only need to pump once or twice when you are at work..I think that will ease the burden alot..

Hi Sgn,

You didn't freeze ur EBM in milk liner or milk bag? Very wasteful to throw away leh. Last week, I was having fever and had to throw away all EBM at every pump for 5 days. And luckily, my baby can still survive on the excess EBM which I have stored last time.

Oh ya, mommies, do u all give plain water to your babies? If so, whats the max to give 1 day?

Apple
i did freeze my BM but freezer no space liao so just throw away those going to expire.
i dun like to use milk bags cos can't reuse n cups more easy as clearly states the dates outside the cup.

u still can give EBM to bb when u are sick cos another mummy told me like that bb is taking the antibodies n it will protect them form the same virus.
i always give bb water after porridge, n when wakes up from nap.

Bena
now i pump 3-4 times a day, early morning i skipped as at nite i let bb latch on.
i tired to lengthen the time but still very engorge, now slighty better, supply lesser.
bb's demand also less since he started solid.

Hi apple
hw old is yr bb?I dun give my gal water til she started solid when she was 6 n half mth.I feel dat since my gal was on bm itwas unnesesary since bm is fluid.I didnt wan to fill up her tummy wif water else she wont nurse.She has never suffer fr any constipation at all,still thriving happily at 9mth.I feed her water now after her porridge n fruit
happy.gif

Btw,you can still bf yr bb eventhough your sick as yr antibodies will pass to the bb.I was having high fever when i had mastitis during the early days n the breast surgeon oso encourage me to continue nursing.Whenever im ill(touchwood) no often,i always stress to the gp dat im nursing.

Bena
i tried to stick to 3 times cos each time 200+mls n bb only take 150mls each feed X 3-4 times a day only, so got extra for the day. dun mind giving away my BM but nobody wants.

hi fiona,
thanks for your tip. i guess u r directing the answer to me too. heehee..
but too bad, my hubby can't bear to let my son cry n scream. n especially in the night, afraid to disturb the neighbours too, guess i'd prob have to cont'd to nurse bb to sleep.
sad.gif

Bena
the prob is my BM is stored in avent cups n i need the cup back for storage how to donate?

Merry Xmas to all mommies here!

Fiona
My baby is coming to 5months. He loves to drink plain water more than my breastmilk. He will cry for plain water and not for milk. Make us so puzzled. He can gobble down a bottle of plain water very fast but when comes to milk, he take very long time to drink.

How many ml should a 5months old baby drink a day? My baby is taking about 20 to 25oz per day which i think is a bit below average consumption.

Apple
my boy's milk consumption also below average cos since 4 months old he had been taking 150mls or 5oz until now which i tried to increase but he just can't finish worse when he started solid.
some dr says when bb taking less milk means he is ready for solid try give ur bb supplment such as rice cereal bah!

Bena
ok tks but if they want i can start store in bags.
but the child is the same age as my son? my boy is 7.5 months old. cos BM also produce acc to child's need (eg age).

Hi ladies, recently i have started reading on Gina Ford's The New Contented Little Baby Book. I m desperate as i find tat my gal feeds on demand and at erratic intervals which sometimes drives me crazy. Like i jus settled her for the day and finally she is asleep aft almost 2hrs of coaxing, and feeding. I m drained of energy and maxed out!

Any of u mummies are followers of the GF routine and succeed in it? i jus brifely read thru today and realised the routine is really strict. I wonder if u can get it going cos my gal is already 6weeks old and afraid tt her sleeping & feeding 'habits'are fixed.

Any of u SAHMs latch bb and dun pump AT ALL?

Hi ladies, recently i have started reading on Gina Ford's The New Contented Little Baby Book. I m desperate as i find tat my gal feeds on demand and at erratic intervals which sometimes drives me crazy. Like i jus settled her for the day and finally she is asleep aft almost 2hrs of coaxing, and feeding. I m drained of energy and maxed out!

Any of u mummies are followers of the GF routine and succeed in it? i jus briefly read thru today and realised the routine is really strict. I wonder if I can get it going cos my gal is already 6weeks old and afraid tt her sleeping & feeding 'habits'are fixed.

Any of u SAHMs latch bb and dun pump AT ALL?

hi mummies,

im also a SAHM with a 9mths old baby boy. im on total bf cos my baby doesn't want my ebm.
being a SAHM is not tat boring to me at all. I could spent time with my boy 24/7. I always bring him out and will be starting on Positive Babies in jan. Any mummies tried this programme before? Heard that it is good and fun for the babies.

Lin, care to share if ur bb has some kind of routine? or u let ur boy lead or give cues for feeding/napping etc?

Do u still express ur BM since u latch on? Can i ask, since u mentioned ur boy dun want to take ur EBM, what do u do when u need to be away sometimes, e.g. haircut, etc...?

hello mummies

may i join you?

i've a precious lil ger who turns 6mo today. i took NPL till year-end but tendered in november. so far dec has been a fun month for us as we've been out almost everyday! first half of month we went japan and thailand then when back we were out christmas shopping! haha and now it's post christmas shopping!

nothing beats the thrill of watching your baby grow esp ard now when they get more active and responsive
happy.gif
her daddy's v reluctant to go to work everyday :p

she's on tbf also. before our trip, she used to sleep thru the night since 8wo. but during the trip, she slept between us and kept waking up thus her sleep routine's messed up. i used to pump 1-2x at night while she's asleep but now i can't tell when she'll wake and she'd almost always want milk- prob time to start her on her cereals! anyway she doesn't really like EBM too. i was also pumping at night to try to keep AF away :p but guess i've gotta start pumping again cos i've gotta mix cereals with ebm.

lin...what's positive babies? i'm interested to start her on kindermusik though.

S@L
bb's routine changes from time to time.
my boy had been sleeping less since 5 months old and for the pass 1 wk him had been sleeping at 7pm n wakes up at 9-10pm i will make him pee n give the last feed n he sleeps again till 5-6am.
when he was 1-2 months old still wakes up every 3-4 hrs at night for milk. then after 2 months he can sleep thru but when he was 4 months he starts to wakes up at middle of the night for milk again.
dun know does i work for ur bb, i usu give BM b4 napping or latch n he will sleeps longer.

S@L
bb's routine changes from time to time.
my boy had been sleeping less since 5 months old and for the pass 1 wk him had been sleeping at 7pm n wakes up at 9-10pm i will make him pee n give the last feed n he sleeps again till 5-6am.
when he was 1-2 months old still wakes up every 3-4 hrs at night for milk. then after 2 months he can sleep thru but when he was 4 months he starts to wakes up at middle of the night for milk again.
dun know does i work for ur bb, i usu give BM b4 napping or latch n he will sleeps longer.

sgn, yes my probem here is my gal seems to hv the wrong sleep association as mentioned in GF books. She will suckle and fall asleep. sometimes she gets her milk and will be full, sometimes she jus wanna suckle and spits out the milk when its full in her mouth! I dun wan her to associate suckling with sleeping time cos in no time i will be a walking pacifier.(i know tt will happen cos my sin went thru tis prob and i had to resort to pacifier.) My gal also wont take Pacifier although i intro to her few weeks till now still trying.

Esp night feeds, she will doze off to sleep and wakes again 1-1.5hr for milk. It is depriving me of a good sleep. i m nt expecting a full night sleep, but at least hope she can last 3-4hrs before she wakes again....

everyone is telling me to top up with FM for her night feeds. but my point is then why i wan to do TBF? i dun wan the frequent FM top up to affect my BM ss as i wish to do at least 6mth -1yr BF. and a fren of mine replaces her last feeds with FM for her bb, BUT she also cant sleep thru the night. So i m nt going to give up and give in to FM.

S@L
my bb wakes up around 9-10am. i will then feed him with rice cereal or porridge afterwhich will be his bath time and the his afternoon nap. when he wakes up will feed him with fruits dessert or gel. then will be his playtime till its time for his dinner at around 6pm. his bathtime is next and after that the whole family will entertain him till about 10-11pm, which i will bf him till he sleeps.
usually if my bb needs my milk he will come to me and rest on my chest. thats is his cue for milk time.
i do not express my BM anymore cos it will be wasted since he doesn't take EBM.
i'm quite lucky cos still living with my parents. so if im having haircut/date with hubby, etc my parents will take care of him. but before i go out, i will BF him till he push away. or else, during my absence my parents will give him fruit juice or gel.
for my bb, as long as he is full its very easy to take care of him.

bedebe
here is the link for positive babies. http://www.positivefocus.com.sg/babies.htm
not so sure if its good. but to me its better for my bb to have some kind of activity outside than at home only.

my bb still wakes up at night for milk. some bb i know will sleep thruout so i'm still working on ways to make my bb sleep till next morning. no doubt it is tiring, but then it is much better now than when he was about 2-4mths. he will wakes up every 1-2hrs for milk!

lin, ur boy so good, u nt ard he jus take fruit juices etc? Nvr aked for milk before? i also dun like to be restricted e.g. having to rush home to feed bb if i m out. i m still latching my girl but make it a point to give her a btl or 2 a day so tt she gets used to it. but recently she rejects btl.....for night feeds my hb will feed her but last night she jus refused...once i latch her she was ok....but i really need some sanity here...i actually want the best of both worlds, to latch her for as long as i BF. and give her btl feeds when i m nt ard....

as for EBM, i m still ok and in fact like to express to inc my ss. i usually give my gal the fresh EBM (expressed afew hrs before feed) and the frozen ones will give to my elder son. So no wastage! hehehe..

hi, i am SAHM and breastfeeding my 7 months old baby and pump milk for my 2 1/2 yrs old gal..

s@L, my gal when she was a baby, she wakes up every 1 hr till she is 3 months and ard 1.5 to 2hrs till 6 months. very tiring. in fact i am a walking pacifier which i dun mind and i did not give pacifier to her. I wean her off when she is 22 months old and she is ok with it (i think she is ready to wean off). I think a walking pacifier is easier too wean off than a pacifier itself. i remember i was on pacifier till 3-4 yrs old and my mum had a hard time to wean me off.

dryperbb, i agree abt the walking pacifier vs the real pacifier part, BUT i m nt exactly a SAHM and i cannot be a 24/7 mummy,...i need some break for myself and if this goes on i cannto leave her with my mum at all... i work from home with hb, but sometimes my work require me to meet ppl and off sites...so i need to find a solution.,

hi s@l, i actually temporary sahm, i took one year no pay leave for my gal and now i took another one year no pay leave for my boy. that time when i went back to work, my gal was already 15 months, i latch her on at night and morning and when i am back home. she was looked after by my mum and mil (they take turns). I will pick her up when i am back home. once they are one year old, they dun latch on so frequently so you will not be 24/7 mummy. if they eat solids well, milk feeds is a supplement for them. I intro cow's milk to my gal when she was 15 months. so when i am at work, she will drink the packet cow's milk. i also need some break but i think being mum is like that, you just need to be patient and your break will come when they are older. once they are 1 yr old, life is so much easier... it is not about bf-ing all the time anymore...

Dryperbb, wow really a great sacrifice for u to take a full yr leave for them. me too have an elder boy but i did nt TBF him. i gave him EBM with FM since birth and gave up EBM totally at 6mth cos i dint have much BM. Now with my gal (only 6weeks old) i wish to establish my BM before i really pass her over to my mum. i had a hard time with my son bk then even though he dun latch on for BM, but he latch on for comfort.

what i meant by being a 24/7 mummy is tt being a full SAHM looking aft kids...nt jus abt BF/latching. i admit i dun have patience for tt...i prefer to work and have a balance time with them when at home.

s@l, actually i wanted to go back to work after i gave birth to my gal. but after seeing her and after looking at how my mil handle her (too kan cheong), I decided to take the one year leave immediately and in fact I am enjoying the moment i am spending my time with her and I know that she is taken care the way i want her to be taken care of. then when i preggy second one, i immediately decided to spent that one year with my second one too. my daughter also was difficult when she was young, every 1 hr she will wake up for feeding and comfort latching for 3 months. i almost give up but looking at her again, i decided to carry on. actually i wanted to stop bf-ing when she was 6 months, but she refuse to drink fm. so again i continue till she was 22 months... that time i was already preggy for 7 months. i decided to wean her off because she totally latch for comfort... it took her 1 week and everything is ok.

once you have established your supply you can pump out your milk for storage and train your bb to feed through bottle at least once a day and slowly increase the number of bottle feed as the days go by... if possible let your mum give the bottle feeding... then you can pass her over without worries...

S@L
yes, so far he's a good boy. lucky he likes
either the juices or gel. maybe you should try too on your bb. my boy totally reject the bottle with my EBM. tried to guive him lots of times but he will cried out loud. but surprisingly he will take if i put in juice instead of EBM. he is one smart baby :eek:)
now my bb will wake up around 2am and then about 6am.

dryperbb, kinda difficult cos my mum dun stay with me. n she finds giving BM a chore..i wonder if she will secretly feed FM behind my back. BTW i can tell from the poo if she does tt right?

lin, oh but my gal only 6weeks old now...still a long time before she is weaned.i will try to give fresh EBM the frozen stash for emerg or give to my son.

s@l, yes, u will know if she gives fm by the poo... my mum/mil also think bf-ing is troublesome. tt time my gal is not fat fat kind, my mil keep on asking if my bm is enough... lucky hb is supportive if not so stressful for me. this time round my boy is the fat fat kind... she did not comment anything... sometimes if u ask someone to take care, u gotta close one eye. at least it is ur mum taking care so if things is not right u can always tell her not so paiseh.

Hi ladies,

So happy to see that many mommies had BF successfully. I am jan 08 MTB really hope to BF but afraid that i can't do it.... Cos i do heard from a few of experienced mummies they gave up as the supply is really low and BB doesn't wan to latch on.

hi jacelyn,

welcome aboard and congrats that you gonna be a mummy soon!! i believe that all of us have went thru what you are feeling right now. cheer up ok. bf is not tat bad or scary as you may thought it will be.
our bf will be established around 6-8weeks. so let your bb suckle whenever he/she wants to feed and you will produce milk according to his needs. so do not be discourage if you think your bm is not enough during the first few weeks.
as for the latch on, you have to keep on practise. i used to have that problem too. the trick is to latch on when your bb mouth is wide open.
you will find that bf is a rewarding and wonderful experience. so try to delay on the FM as long as you can. don't be shy to ask us anything cos I believe all the mummies don't mind to share their experience with you.
hope you have a smooth delivery!!

jacelyn, welcome aboard to motherhood soon. i must said that the first month of breastfeeding is difficult for you and bb. so both of you need to practice and practice. Practice will make perfect. After the first month, everything should be ok and you will find it a wonderful journey. so dun ever give up if you really wanna breastfeed. the supply will come when there is demand... so always feed on demand, and dun stretch feeding time. have a smooth delivery... take care... enjoy the baby kicking inside you for now... :)

Hi lin and dryperbaby,

Thank u all for the support. So for the first month as there will be not so much of milk how do i knw if BB has enuff feed? Will BB keep crying for milk and i have to supply with FM as well?

Jacelyn, dun be discouraged even before u have tried. I m very happy and proud of myself to do TBF for my 6weeks old bb since birth. BUT do u know tt i actually failed my 1st time round when i had my son? i was nt able to do TBF and have to supplement him since birth as my milk ss was really really low e.g. each time i can only express at most 40-50ml (at 3mths also that amt) and my son couldn latch on.i also didnt ask for help from LC or any frens who succeeded in BF. i jus assumed tt I DUN HAVE MILK. worse of all a lousy pump made things worse. Besides tt family support is very impt which i didnt have before. but now mum dun comment anymore cos she knows i have put in alot of hard work and bb is gaining very good weight.

i made a huge mistake by nt knowing the supply=demand principle. its really jus tt simple, remove BM from breasts and they will make more!

Aft my failure, i wanted so much to be preg again so tt i can try BF my child again. A weird tot BUT i really wanted to give it a try once more.

This time i m raelly proud to say tt i have done well so far and my ss is good..so much tt my bb cannot empty both my breasts during feeds.

while u have time, read more on various sources abt BF to be more prepared. dun listen to ppl ar u who comment on ur BM ..u know urelf best. be prepared to receive alot of negative advise esp from elders regrds to BF cos they belong to the FM era...take heart keep and open mind. Confinement period is the most crucial cos u are healing ur body, handling a new creature's demand and also building ur BM ss. dun stress urself, if u have BM jus give if milk have nt come in and bb really crying badly, give some FM till ur milk comes in.

Good luck !

hi everyone, i'm a Dec mum. just started being a TBF SAHM but with baby at 2 weeks old only, i'm already dead bored and tired. just want to check if initial period is like this? confirm that baby keeps waking up every 2 hours or so for first few months? how do you all tahan?? i already want to peng san sometimes. just keep thinking it's going to be a looooooong road ahead and keep wondering if this sacrifice is really all worth it. I so envy my hubby now. life is still 90% normal for him, but my life is upside down rite now.

S@L
during my confinement my boy was given FM as my BM supply was not enough for him. then when he was older i also thought giving FM as last feed also doesn't work for my bb, but when he took BM he sleeps better.

i also dun want to give pacifier b4 bb was born, but being a 1st time mom i was very loss CL thought me to use pacifier to buy time, n it works. now when i'm working bb is taken care by bb sitter he's ok with pacifier. he will push out the pacifier when he is sick of it. sometimes u give him he also dun like it.

hi Jacelyn, i second S@L's comments. Most importantly get someone at home ie.hubby who can support your stand on TBF. Sometimes comments/pressure by elders to supplement with FM can get overwhelming when you've just delivered and have very very very little sleep. Do also get the contact numbers of lactation consultants and nurses at your hospital's baby nursery in case you have any questions. Nurses on duty 24/7. That means can call after office hours ;p

hi ankh
dun give up, my 1st few days after delivery was like urs too. i was thinking of not having a CL was wrong! after 4 days sleepless and engorged nites my MIL helped me to hired a wonferful CL who thought me BF n lots of tips in taking care of bb. after post delivery rest is very important, which recharge ur energy to walk down the road!
my hb also not very supportive type cos until now he never change bb's diaper ok. he at least helps to carry bb while i can do other things.
slowly u will get use n go on. when bb is 2-3 months old u will find it's worth seeing bb grow under ur care!

S@L
it's good to introduce EBM to bb early as they dun reject bottle n maybe EBM taste different when latch on.

mummies
do u keep a tin of FM to standby?
my tin of FM expire again, i find it a waste to open a tin n hardly use.

sgn, agree with you.

abt the taste of bm, i tasted it. fresh bm is sweet whereas frozen bm tasted like spoilt/overdue milk. abit gross... so some bbs will reject frozen bm... and prefer fresh bm

Back