2007 sahm n bf mom

<font color="aa00aa">SAHM= Stay AT Home Mum</font>
happy.gif

Hi Fiona

I'm a SAHM, bf my 6.5 mths old boy, feeding porridege during evening time.

What abt you? Can provide more details abt yourself?

Nice "meeting" everybody here.

Hi ladies,
im a sahm to a 3yr boy n 8mth gal.Im stillbf my gal n my son is drinking my express bm so im the family's cow hehe.I look after kids myself so my social life is not so happening at this point... its nice to chat wif you guys

hi mummies,
i'm also a SAHM, bfing my son turning 1 yr old. Would be nice to join in and share some feelings and tots, else totally no social life.

hi mummies

wow, u all are great mann. SAHM,i got it. Thanks a lot,saki. Yes, i agree that there is no social life,i have stayed at home for 3mth+ already bf my baby,gg back to work early next year.I can understand how is it like. Yaloh,like cow,go out also can't stay long coz got to come back n xpress milk.

Hi mummies,
So glad to find this thread. I have a 3 week old and already I'm wondering how others do it? I mean, being a SAHM and BF mum. Like Chrisz says, even when I go out, can't go out long coz need to express milk every 4 hours. How do you guys get round this "problem"?

hi mummies

i'm also bf my boy, about 5mths old..

twiggy, the trick to be a sahm and bf mum at the same time is best to latch on directly. i tried to express and milk every few hours before and without anybody's help is too exhausting for me ;-) cos have to pump, feed, sterilise, etc... i was so tired that i wanted to give up so much..

hi mummies,
i agree with poppy. i latch-on my baby after the first mth of confinement. coz express out takes too much time!

Good thing is, i never need to prepare any milk bottles...but the negative effects: my child develops the habit of nursing to sleep, so i must be with him 24/7. going shopping also must need to find nursing rooms, else not more than 4 hrs must go home, else he gets really cranky.

hihi

of coz i agree that latching on is the best. Now i find that after i latch on,there is still milk left so i got to xpress out again which is double work 4 me. Life will be back to normal if baby drinks formula,no need to see timing, no need to worry abt going out,sterilise bottle,xpress etc etc. Coz now go out i still got to warm e breastmilk. ^-^

Hi ppl, I wish I can also be SAHM, but not able to, but am currently bf my 3 mth old girl too. Good thing nowadays is that most shopping malls have got nursing rooms, so I can still let her latch on in private when she is hungry. If not, I feed my girl in the car while hubby is driving... Haha... at most use a blankie to cover will do ;p

Hello moomies

Im oso at SAHM w 2 gals...n BF my little one...

Me lazy to go nursing rm, so i jus BF anywhere when my bb's hungry...

chrisz

i used to hv this too.. after feed still feel not clear.. but if i don't pump out thereafter, slowly the body will adjust to its demand and you will not have this feeling anymore.

hence, latch on is still simple and not complicated ;-)

Hi hi,

I am a SAHM too.. Breastfeeding my girl too. She's 5 months plus now!!

Nice meeting all of you!

Hi ladies!!!
wow,i never expected so many responds!!
I agree wif poppy,being a sahm to 3yr boy n a 8mth gal n no maid,i dun hav no time to wash,steralise n express.I juz direct feed all the time.I hav to admit though she has gotten use to comfort suck which can get quite tiring the next day...i juz train her to sleep thru so for the first time in 8mths i FINALLY get to sleep thru!!yeah!!!She of cos cry the 1st 2nites for 5min or so dan ko by herself,by the 3rd nite it was a bliss for me hehe.
I sling my gal so i hav no issue wif nursing rm.I told my hubby dat im the family's cow since my 3yr old drinking my express bm.

Hi gals
weeknd is finally coming to an end..hw many of you guys manage to catch more then 6hrs of beauty sleep?Super busy weekend doing last min xmas shopping..my goodness,it sure is crazy down town esp with the kids along.Thank God i didn't hav to use any stroller else i'll prop crash a hell lotta of ppl at suntec!!
I was there taking a breather n watching my son playing n i realised there were so many fm(formula) infant,n some are young moms..well hopefully that will change in the future
happy.gif

hi poppy

so u r suggesting that i don't pump after latching on even though there is still milk left?
i am going genting this thurs (holiday) and it's going to be a tired journey,got 2 pump etc. of coz hopefully i can jz latch on n no need 2 xpress. what i am afraid of is that my baby will still be hungry if i latch on.

hi fiona

nope,do not have e luxury of having more than 6 hrs beauty sleep yet, yes i do have that jz this morning coz i forgot to wake up in the night to pump. omg...my breast is hard and takes more time to xpress,jz scare that it gets blocked n can't be cleared. if i have 4,5 hrs of sleep,will be grateful already.. hehehee

wow..u still have time to go 'sopping',so good....but i think that more n more people are bf now..

hey fiona,
can share how u manage to train your gal to sleep thru the night? my son still must nurse to sleep, n i have to wake up 2-4 times at night to his cries to nurse him... N especially in the wee hours of the night, dun feel like leaving him crying coz scared will disturb neighbours.

hi chrisz

ya, i took my friend advice also not to pump after latch on, unless i wana increase my milk supply or i'm going to feed bottle at next feed else not necessary to pump thereafter or later. cos our body will react to the demand to provide enough supply of milk

and i'm actually very surprised that my bb can actually clear my 'hard' breast within 10mins and sometimes lesser much more efficent and faster than the pump i used earlier on.

you may wana consider solely latch on ;-)

technically speaking, our bb will not latch on anymore if they are full ... unless we don't have enough supply then don't want to latch and make a fuss out of it at feed time.

practice at home first on full latch on and let both yourself and bb get used to this idea.. so at least when you go on holiday bb will not have to cope with any changes...

just my 2cents worth of thots ;-)

hi dear ladies..
i'm a considerably young SAHM mum and i've been breastfeeding my darling son for almost 7mths now.
gave up my flying career to realise my dream. glad to stumble upon this thread and hope we could share tips ya.....
n yes fiona, i saw lots of fm-fed young infant around me when i'm outside.really do hope,this will change.
i enjoy breastfeeding...its a magical experience
cheers

HI all, I'm not a SAHM..but really envy and admire you mums out there who can have the luxury to be SAHM...And yes, it's tough to be SAHM!Hsts off to you!!..TO be with your kid 24/7. keke...I think i will go 'crazy' if i'm 24/7 with my gal...am still on maternity leave ..going back to work soon in 1 mths time..Definitely I will miss my baby gal...but i yearn to get back to work too cos I miss working too!..Am crazy rite..hahha..
i'M guilty for noy perservering with BF..I only did it for 1.5 mths...after that i gave up...too tired...and need time to do other things too..
Do you TBF mums eat nutritious food ?...I learnt from somewhere that your BM may not be nutritious if you yourself do not eat nutritious food...No doubt your baby will automatically make the BM needed for your baby with the resreves in your body...but in the long run if you are doing TBF, you need to eat a lot of 'good' food to keep the nutritious level in your BM ( eg. food like fish), else, your BM will not be good

shan
hi i also not a SAHM but still BF my boy. i also wish to stop BF but felt guilty for not doing as being a mom. btw BF helps me to lose wt n bond bewteen me n my child.

hi shauna,
oh yes of cos...no more of those n shopping sprees....
but now with a pretty bouncy boy on tow,i've never felt prettier.
d'u realise now, people no longer look at our accessories!our young ones hv taken over the 'limelight'!!hahhah

hi sgn,
i was so worried that i'll never shed my 20kg dat i piled on during preggie.even my gynae was worried!!hhaha i proved him wrong...i lost every bit of it in my 4 mth postnatal.No special dieting.No extra exercise regime.Just caring for my baby n bfd. I thank GOD, both of us is in the pink of health.
and yes, the bond that we share is beyond words.
My family members now called me 'Milk Ambassador'.Glad that i've gain their support which was devastating initially.Seeing how well, their 1st grandson has grown..Mommy's milk is the best...cheerios

Hi all, hope I'm not too late in joining. I'm also a SAHM and my 3 months old baby is on TBF. I agree with poppy pop. The easiest way to succeed in breastfeeding is to latch baby direct so that demand = supply. And the best way to latch baby to me is lying down. I can sleep 12 hours a day if I want to as my baby sleeps from 8pm to 8am. He latches a few times at nite but I don't need to really wake up. Just latch him on lying down and continue to sleep. And he doesn't wake up too but drinks half awake. The last feed is our special time together and as he nurses to sleep. Day time, he doesn't have the habit of nursing to sleep and can sleep either in the yaolan or bed or baby carrier if we're out. And if you buy some good nursing wear, you don't need to be in seclusion when you nurse baby outside, as the nursing wear can cover almost everything
happy.gif
So you can just find a coffee place to sit down and nurse baby while you have a cup of hot chocolate or something
happy.gif
It can be quite relaxing.

I was pumping quite conscientiously in the 1st 2 postnatal months but it was very tiring and I also suffered from engorgement and blocked ducts from over supply. I had to pump every hour to prevent engorgement. It was nitemare and I almost gave up. The main reason for this oversupply was that I had no confidence that I have enough milk for my baby so I kept pumping. So Chrisz, you need to take a step of faith and believe that baby is satisfied with just latching. Actually baby is the best pump and can extract more milk that the best pump in town. So if you are pumping 90ml, your baby probably take in 120ml, though you can't see it
happy.gif

For me, now I'm trying to stretch baby's feeding time and also to totally eliminate the wee hour feed. It is a challenge for me cuz I'm still quite over supplied (from my own stupidity) and it'll take some time before my supply = baby's demands.

I agree with all the mummies here- Breastfeeding is one of the best thing of motherhood.

Hi all, hope I'm not too late in joining. I'm also a SAHM and my 3 months old baby is on TBF. I agree with poppy pop. The easiest way to succeed in breastfeeding is to latch baby direct so that demand = supply. And the best way to latch baby to me is lying down. I can sleep 12 hours a day if I want to as my baby sleeps from 8pm to 8am. He latches a few times at nite but I don't need to really wake up. Just latch him on lying down and continue to sleep. And he doesn't wake up too but drinks half awake. The last feed is our special time together and as he nurses to sleep. Day time, he doesn't have the habit of nursing to sleep and can sleep either in the yaolan or bed or baby carrier if we're out. And if you buy some good nursing wear, you don't need to be in seclusion when you nurse baby outside, as the nursing wear can cover almost everything
happy.gif
So you can just find a coffee place to sit down and nurse baby while you have a cup of hot chocolate or something
happy.gif
It can be quite relaxing.

I was pumping quite conscientiously in the 1st 2 postnatal months but it was very tiring and I also suffered from engorgement and blocked ducts from over supply. I had to pump every hour to prevent engorgement. It was nitemare and I almost gave up. The main reason for this oversupply was that I had no confidence that I have enough milk for my baby so I kept pumping. So Chrisz, you need to take a step of faith and believe that baby is satisfied with just latching. Actually baby is the best pump and can extract more milk that the best pump in town. So if you are pumping 90ml, your baby probably take in 120ml, though you can't see it
happy.gif

For me, now I'm trying to stretch baby's feeding time and also to totally eliminate the wee hour feed. It is a challenge for me cuz I'm still quite over supplied (from my own stupidity) and it'll take some time before my supply = baby's demands.

I agree with all the mummies here- Breastfeeding is one of the best thing of motherhood.

Bena Neo,
Thanks for your post. I, like you were at the start, pumping instead of latching and always getting engorgement and blocked ducts. It's very tiring and I feel like giving up. But I'm going to switch to direct latching and really pray it will be enough for baby. Then I can stop pumping all the time.

Can I ask, did you use to have to massage your breast before you pump? I'm worried because I can only get my milk to flow when I massage before I pump. So I'm worried that if I latch baby, the milk wont be flowing and he wont get enough. Did you have that problem?

Twiggy,

Actually I only massage during shower (maybe that's why I get blocked ducts :p). I don't have the habit of massaging before a feed but have no problem in satisfying my baby. But TMC's Lactation Consultants told me we should massage every time before pumping or latching. I think massaging before latching at home is still doable. But if I'm out, I sometimes feel a little funny massaging my breasts in public.
happy.gif
Unless baby is not latching on properly or is premature and has problem sucking, I don't think there's a difference between latching and pumping, except that baby's latching is usually more effective in clearing our breasts.

Another advantage of latching is that it will help clear blocked ducts. My baby "saved my life" the last time I had blocked ducts. It was so painful I wanted to give up breastfeeding totally and no amount of massaging and pumping could help. In fact, the more I pump the more blocked it is. (At that time I was still pumping alot and not latching much.) A friend suggested that I latch baby and see if baby could clear the blocked ducts. I tried and bingo! He cleared the blocked ducts within a few mins! From then on, I latched baby fully because I believe this is how nature should be. Of course for mums who are working, they have no choice but to pump for baby since they cannot be physically around baby
happy.gif
So I actually admire working mums whose babies are still on TBF.

Bena/ chergamine
i think we went thru simmilar in BF path. i had prob latch on for the 1st month n with the great help of my CL n MIL i managed to latch on n now i having oversupply of BM.
i do agreed with Bena that breastfeeding is the best thing of motherhood.
As a FTWM i can only offer my BM when i'm not around. latching on is the only way to keep a close bond between me n bb.

Twiggy
u try take hot drinks b4 latching on?

Hi there
Me oso a SAHM but I gave up BF when my bb gal is 1mth old now she 6weeks old. Initiate stage she keep feeding every 1hrly makes me so tired. Not enough sleep cant funtion in e daytime can't take nap in daytime oso cos nid to take care of my son. So have to give up BF. Can't cope cos i still nid to take care of my 19mth old son. He still nid my attention.

Hi mummies
i am a SAHM with a 10mth old boy. Still TBF.. latching but supply is not as much as it used to be as he is on 3 meals now
happy.gif
so happy to find this link
happy.gif
it was not easy for me to breastfeed him especially when he was hospitalised for a few days when he was 2mths plus. i am not able to latch him on due to some medical reason at that time. it was so stressful that my supply will be affected. i can only pump out at that time and my supply was really affected. Thankfully, was able to latch him on again and till now, he is still latching on. But one thing, he nurse to sleep which i am in a dilemma. should i stop this or let him outgrow it himself? oh yeah, i cant latch him in public except in nursing room.. cos he loves to look around when he drinks and my XX will be exposed lor!!

Lyna,
Hahaha.. you have a naughty little darling there.. I guess I will have the same problem soon. We should teach our sons nursing ettiquete! I think if your boy has been nursing to sleep for the past 10 months, it'll be a little hard for him to kick that habit. What do you intend to do to break it? A friend of mine nursed her daughter for almost 2 years. Her daughter must touch her breast to be able to fall asleep. Seems like every kid has a comfort habit. My niece must touch her nose to sleep.
happy.gif

Adeline, that's really not easy. I cannot imagine how I can handle it if my son nurses every hour and that I have another child to attend to.. very very tough for you.

Sgn,
You know I read that over supply is the 2nd most common reason for failure in breastfeeding. The 1st is undersupply
happy.gif

Hi mummies, I m a WAHM and I jus delivered my baby girl in Nov and have been TBF her since birth. to me is a great achievement cos i only did partial BF when i had my son 4 yrs ago. I supplemented with FM for him till 6mths then finally stopped EBm totally.

Bena/Sgn, ya me too confused abt the oversupply logic. And i agree its causing some inconvenience too if oversupply. I latch my gal most of the time e.g.6 out of 8 feeds a day. I intro 1-2btls a day so tt i can have some sanity as well as let her adapt to btl too as i need to be away sometimes.i will pump to empty my breasts aft i latched her as she can only finish 1 side per feed. a fren told me nt to pump so tt my ss will adjust to suit bb's needs.BUT my worry is if someday i fall sick, have to be away etc....and supply dwindle..then i wont be able to catch up or supply for bb's needs. Just past 6 weeks post delivery and i have like 50pks of EBM in the freezer now. but i will be switching to mainly expressing soon and only latch 1x in morning and nite feeds once i go bk to work (i help my hb in his Biz). So hopefully by then my ss is enough to get by.i m aiming to BF my gal till 1 yr old if possible.

my gal also nurse for comfort and sometimes really tire me out. but i really love the bonding i share with her while nursing. i have caved in to pacifier recently, but she refused to take it...so still'spoil' her now and then,

HI all!
I am a SAHM with 3 year old and 3 months old girls...
Fiona, our children ages quite close yeah.
happy.gif

TBF my big gal till she was almost 2 1/2 yrs old and now TBF my small gal still.
It's tiring but little what all BF mothers feel too, the experience is so wonderful tough it's tough and tiring but will persevere.
so what do you SAHM do normally?
I stay in the west.
happy.gif

S@L,
I salute you because it is already difficult to do full latch and not only are you latching baby 6 times a day, you also are pumping after latch. Not easy. I know of several mums who are solely expressing. The beauty of it is they only need to express a 3-4 times a day for the whole day's feed and their body can adjust so that they won't feel engorged during the in-between times they are not expressing. But do bear in mind that our breastmilk will change to suit baby's needs as he grows and also freezing will cause some nutrients to be lost (but frozen ebm is still better than formula). So I think it might be good to give baby fresh ebm (ie ebm pumped within 48 hrs) when you are not latching.

Your fear of falling sick.. actually I fell sick recently but continue to breastfeed as I understand that babies will actually get antibodies of the illness. But of course precaution must be taken to ensure that we don't pass our germs to baby. I also notice that most direct latch babies don't know how to use a pacifier. It is actually quite cute seeing them suck on a dummy. My boy also is not a fan of the pacifier though he does use it very very ocassionally when my mum or hubby cannot handle him when I'm not around.

AWong yvonne,

How many weeks is your 3 month old baby? Was she born in Sept? I do get more free time now that my baby is 3 months old. Sometimes I'll meet up some friends for a cuppa or read books. surf internet, etc. I'm still considering if I should return back to the workforce. But my hesitation comes from the desire to spend more time to nurture my son.. so dilema dilema dilema...

Hi Mommies,

I am also a SAHM but pumping exclusively. My 4months old son doesn't like to latch on. Anyway, seems like my son doesn't like to drink milk. Took more than an hour to finish a bottle (120 to 150ml). Sometimes even refuse to drink milk. My supply is more than demand. Had given away 50 over packs of EBM to another mommy.

Hi Ladies,
hub was away for work so me,my boy n bb gal went back niang jia to stay.Felt like packing for holiday as hav to put breast pump,son's fm,daughter's organic oats etc etc....Home sweet home n i miss my laptop!!!!n you guys of cos
happy.gif

Hey chriz,my gal was 'train' to sleep thru.I realise at 8mth,she wakes up usually for comfort suck n sometimes 3 times a nite n being a sahm wif no help,its tiring.I decided to let her cry out while my hub was away.Bear in mind my gal can really scream when she's upset,so you can imagine when she do dat in the middle of the nite.I let her cry out n she juz fell asleep after she got tired.She cried for about 10mins n it got shorter the next day.Then by the third nite she juz didnt wake up anymore.Whenever she does,i juz let her cry n pretend to be sleeping. You must be desperate to want to sleep to be 'cruel' hehe

Bena
huh oversupply better then under ha ha.
my son ok with pacifier ley, he needs it when sleeping. maybe i intro early so when bb at nanny's place no breast he just take the pacifier.

Apple
me too over demand, but my colic dun want my BM (i think she mind ) sometimes i just throw away cos i use avent cups a bit ex to give away.

Hi gals!!
weekend is coming again!! Hw many of you manage to do any xmas shopping wif kids in tow?My kids r napping sonow i got time to chat
happy.gif
else my super sticky gal will drool n drown the laptop hehe.
Hey yvonne,yes our kids r similar in age,yr younger gal muz be very cute now esp wif the smile n giggle.Mine now keeping me on my toes wif her cruising around n standing.She bumped her head so many times until the gorgor got use to it..
Hi chergamine,yvonne.
my gal is 9mth today!Time pass so fast!Can you believe we'll be celebrating their 1st bday in a few mths.....hw's yr kids in their solid?

Bena, yes its reallr tough and i really enjoy latching if i have a choice dun even wan to intro btl. like when i was out almost the whole day yday, i latched bb fully..but i lazy so did nt bring my pump out...then boobs were so hard i have to keep waking bb to feed her to help me 'release' the tot of brinng EBM out jus turns me off....my fear is if my gal stops latching once u give more btl a day, then next time i have to lug my pump out when shopping whole day.

Back