(2007/07) July 2007 MTBs

Hi cheok,
Shichida and LNT have the same kind of flash cards methods. I find no difference. Only shichida have Sawako but LNT have 3 language. The finger play and flash cards methods really proven to train their brains. What's matter most is the time you do with your child daily. I have switched from Shichida to LNT and find actually both abt the same.

MMR
Megan has taken her jab too. Very good. Not even fever or rashes
happy.gif

Tinsel
Hahaha.. I'll come back with tons of goodies, esp HK.
Back on the 8th.

Jewel
Hmm, i see. I might just buy 1st. Then hubby cannot object? Hahaha..

I only scan thru the thread.. no time to post yet

Irene
You want to leash K during our zoo trip tmr? The animals will laugh le!

Monkey A : eh look! That cute girl kana leashed! *gasp*

Monkey B : that’s why, told you life here not so bad..

Monkey A : Oh c’mon be a monkey, quick look for some lice on my head.. so itchy! *scratch bum*

Ashley in Sydney..

1905159.jpg

Bought her to the doc for her MMR jab yesterday, very slight fever which went off after a dose of baby panadol and she seemed ok after.

We're leaving for HK next Fri!! Somehow I'm not as excited as our last move to London.. :-(

Ashley has ALOT of stuff man!! All the boxes contain her stuff! ARGH! Headache!

Hi all, I have some frustration with MIL that needed to relieve. I was on bussiness trip last week. MIL stayed at home saying that she help to look after my son.She was sitting next to my son and her eyeballs were stick on to the TV and did not aware that my son poo. And he digging his shit and eat!! He eat until vomits then my MIL noticed.
And MIL still can laugh till heads off. Feel like giving her shit to eat.....to see if she still can laugh.

nana mama!! oh ya i was just thinking to myself that actually formula milk will be cheaper in the long run. So you are going to delay his MMR jab? Im half minded on this one, feel like just get it over and done with but then again don't fee like giving it so soon.
sad.gif
Oh yes, still doing GD flashcards. Is lucas still enjoying the flashcards? Bet he can say more words now! He was so cute yakking to himself the other day!

tinsel, shymz i am not making the same materials as LNT. But i took some of their ideas and made my own. can i ask you both if your kids really do the activities? Er, was it the question you were asking tinsel? Cos shayne, is more interested in inspecting the materials than to pretend play or count which i think its a normal behaviour. i kinda think some of their activities are way too mature for our kids. do you? oh by the way, this week's pretend play is fun! Enjoy!
happy.gif

shannon oh thanks for the info! Then it makes no sense for me to switch to shichida since there will be loyalty discounts if i stay on with LNT. MIL- not nice for her to be laughing about it. I can understand why you are angry.
sad.gif

cheok: Yah, switching Matt to shichida. Actually we registered for Shichida first and also paid to be in the priority list. However, there was a long waiting list and we didn't manage to get any slot and don't know when we will get another class so hub and I decided to try LNT. I share the same sentiment as you. i feel the flash card session is too short and that certain activities are too advanced for Matt. However, I check with my cousin who used to be with Shichida and she said that it's part of Right Brain training. Anyway, decided to try Shichida since I have already paid so much already so I thought I will just try it out and then decide which is the one I will settle for.

Check: oh yah, Matt is better in the class now. He is looking at the flashcarding more and will try some of the activities. He likes to explore more than to follow what the teachers want him to do. At least, he doesn't walk about and asks to leave the room though he still fidgets around his seating area.

Bedebe and jewel: Nice pics. SO cute. I'm going to show it to my hub.

cheok,
depends on the activities i suppose. for C she enjoys the pretend play, but for the activities where they are supposed to match the numbers... she's just interested in sticking and tearing them off the velcro. memory game is also ok for her, and she really enjoys the flashcards and music portions. personally i think it's a matter of exposure and practice for the tods, once they get the idea, they pick up really fast (ever notice how they manage to imitate and do stuff that they were never intentionally taught?) btw, there's someone in the LNT business thread organising playdates... anyone interested?

shannon,
oops... how did u learn about this? understand how u feel...

Irene, yeah we're moving up to HK permanently. Hubby's next job is based in HK. We're moving all our personal belongings and some electrical/household stuff, no furniture. Think we have to either rent or buy furniture in HK. So mahfan. I get a headache thinking of it :-(

MMR:
Cheok: I think you can go for the single variant jab where they give you measles and something else (cannot rememeber what it is) first and then you can take MMR at 5 years old.

Alternatively, if Matt is not going to school yet, you can wait till he's 2 years old to give him the jab. Pd said that MOH will write a letter to you to remind you then.

As for me, I will hold Matthias' MMR jab since he's still not much of a talker yet.

Jewel: your life is so exciting. Will have good time in HK. I'm not Ash will be patronising Disneyland very often.

Jewel/Bedebe
wat beautiful gals u've got. envy their nice locks too! wish S' hair will grow faster...

nana,
thanks for the tip!

cheok/shymz: shayne's behaviour is definitely normal. i can attest to it coz my girl oso behaves in the same manner
happy.gif
like celeste, krissa oso prefers to play wif the small numerals & tear off the velcro pages. i oso agree that some activities seemed abit too advanced for them. my girl started her 1st weekday class today and this class is MUCH better than her previous weekend class because the mummies in this class are more friendly and there was more interaction among the toddlers, thus making it a very enjoyable 1hr session. i can tell krissa was very happy too...kept smiling & clapping her hands. this week's pretend play is very yummy!! today we "steamed" some "buns" and she kept offering the "buns" to the teacher..hahaha!! i oso adopted another approach today...i gave the contents/objects to krissa & asked her to explore the item first before guiding her to complete the activity. she seemed alot more comfy wif this kinda approach. i'm keen on the lnt playdate & had emailed the organiser yesterday liao.

claire: u mean students at shichida will be asked to leave the class if they walk abt during lesson? very intimidating lei

ichigo/claire: krissa took her mmr + chickenpox abt 2 weeks ago. so far so good, no rashes, no fever
happy.gif

jewel: how long will u be in HKG? though ur not in S'pore physically, must still log in & post many pix of pretty ash hor!!

Tinsel, we'll be gone for as long as hubby's working there. It'll be similar to when we were in London, no contract.

I'll def continue to log in. Don't wanna miss lookin at all the lovely pics of all your toddlers growing up!

right brain!
Tinsel/cheok/shymz/shannon etc: Ok I'm totally clueless here - what is LNT? Same sorta system as Shichida? Ems has been at Shichida for half a term now. She's getting quite good at the memory games, but I find it hard to do the home practice exercises every day. Usually I manage about 5 days out of 7 if I'm lucky.

hellO!

have been lurking for a while now but got drawn in by the LNT talk
happy.gif

just brought xy for her first trial class at LNT last sunday and found it pretty good. at least, xy seemed quite ok in the class and didnt try to escape much other than to try to stand on the chair to do jigs when the music came on :p but found her classmates rather distracting cos 1 was new like her but kept screaming the whole hr away. quite liked the pretend play segment too.. and think they use so much material during the class that there is no way i cld do that at home!

if any mummies are making materials to share, pls include me!

is anyone in the hougang branch? Tinsel elf, i remember u saying u were going to the hougang branch for something? reason y i am asking is cos i'm trying to find another bb to form a class on sunday at ard 1030am. need 2 babies to form a class. anyone??

yolksac, think LNT adopts similar concepts to shichida. they do memory games, flashcarding at a speed i can never manage at home, and have music segments too.

btw, think u look really good now! well done with the weight loss!!

have a happy weekend girls! am counting down to knock off time in 15 min.. sucks to have to work on saturdays!

tinsel, i will be going for babies prom on 5 dec 1030 too! so i think we will be at the same show right? which seats did u get?

tinsel elf: Mmm... I think you are mistaken. Matt is still with LNT. The teacher doesn't ask him to leave the room, Matt is the one asking to leave the room. ;P

Hey Jules: Thanks! I sometimes forget that you gals can see my pics on FB. At the tail end of my diet programme now, should be done in a week and a bit. Can't wait. Have def lost enough (16kg) but now just finishing up the programme to hopefully "reintroduce" increased quantities/varieties of good back into my system.

What does LNT stand for? I'm THAT clueless! Is it any cheaper than Shichida - which is really expensive, btw!
sad.gif

Shymz: Sorry, just saw your question. Yes, Ems does seem to enjoy the class, though some elements of it are rather odd, like the ESP bits. Like HUH? Sometimes Bcube and I look at each other and we want to burst out laughing, but we restrain ourselves. I'm trying to keep an open mind for now, but I haven't really made up my mind on whether this is a fantastic programme or a lot of nonsense. Guess time (and more $!) will tell?
happy.gif

How's C doing? Enjoying her new shoes? By the way, I think I want to start doing my French again - but work's been really stressful and taxing of late so not sure if my brain has any spare capacity.

Brain development:
Gayle's doing very well in Shichida. I guess time will tell, we'll see results. Right now, she's learning from the different activities taught in class (which honestly I have no time to make those props myself). At home I'm doing the Tensai flashcards and a few others I got from bookstore, Gayle loves them to bits! Its the only time she can concentrate and stay focus, as most of you will know she is really one active girl :p

yolksac:

LNT is little neuro tree. It is set up by a group of Shichida teachers who left shichida. The programme is indeed much cheaper - about $600+. I Ok, LNT has got a few very experienced and good teachers. Now that they are expanding so fast with so many branches, I'm not quite certain about the quality of teachers. As for Shichida, according to what I know the most experienced teachers seem to have left but the plus point for shichida is that they have a good build up of materials for the programme...

K, that's so much I know about them.

pita: It's really good for Gayle. Matt 's so active. It's really hard to keep him seated down for flashcard. I have kinda gone into dormant stage. Perhaps will revive again soon...

Thanks for the info Claire! I must admit I hadn't heard of LNT. I see the name "Trio" being mentioned now and then; guess that must be another Shichida spin-off.

Ems' Shichida teacher isn't great. She mispronounces words and doesn't seem very good at catching the babies' attention.

Pita: Good to hear Gayle's enjoying the classes! I don't manage to do Home Practice every day. Some days I get home late from work or am just too tired or I forget. So far, I think I only manage Home Practice maybe 4-5 times per week (instead of 7). Oh well...

When I do manage to get my act together, we do
1. flashcards (stuff I bought from Tensai plus my own sets - so far I've only managed to make Flowers, Things found in a stationery store, Desserts, Fruits, Farm Animals, Words associated with fairy tales, Transport, Occupations, Clothing, Vegetables, Buildings and Places)

2. random dots (I use my GD cards - which are rather large and tough to flash, I must say that Shichida's A5 format makes more sense!)

3. linking memory (so far, we're on Card 10 of the "Einstein woke up one morning" story) and

4. rapid memory (i.e. flash a picture at Ems for one second, show her that card and a very similar card and ask her to choose one).

I think the main challenge for now is coming up with new materials, especially flashcards since they are supposed to changed so so often! Ems enjoys the rapid memory game too, so I have been putting aside materials to make more game sets for her, but it's really hard finding the energy to make these new things after a hard day at work.

Anyhow, despite my complaining, I am rather enjoying the process, which is important, I suppose. The mums in Ems' class are talking about doing a Home Practice materials swop at some point but I have to wait for them to build up their "stock" first
happy.gif

Claire/Jules/Cheok etc: What's LNT's home practice like? Do they also recommend flashcarding, memory games, quantity recognition exercises etc?

Yolksac: lnt home practise - this is wat i try to do during the weekdays if i manage to pull the act together.

1) flashcards (gd's eng/chinese/math & tweedlewink dvd)
2) sorting/classification e.g. to group objects of the same colour or match similar shapes together
3) memory game 1(aka sm's rapid memory)
4) memory game 2 e.g. showing krissa a full coloured pic of a clown wif a blue ball in one hand & a yellow star in the other hand, then give krissa the same coloured pic but this time the ball & star will be in black & white. krissa will be given a velcro piece of the blue ball & yellow star and she has to place the ball & star onto the correct hands of the clown.
5) motor skills e.g. pouring, blowing, stacking etc
6) quantity & numeral recognition using pics & calendar

yolksac: lnt is the former "trio". not too sure if the name was changed due to the legal case wif sm. weekday(thurs & fri only) fee is 550.00/term + 50.00 annual fee & 600.00/term + 50.00 annual fee for weekend class. as u can see, sm's definitely way more ex.

claire: very sorry...i'd misunderstood ur statement...paiseh hor.

jules: dunwan to do lnt on sun lei coz krissa attends kindermusik on sun. did the 3 trials on sun evening(bo bianz coz during trial, there was no demand for weekday evening class of her age & this is the only class suitable for her age on sun), but managed to change to fri evening...so happy!!
sso bb prom - same date & time
happy.gif
left the tix in the car, so dunno my exact seats. where are u staying, somewhere near? me at hougang ave 8. lemme know if u need a ride, we can go together i.e. if ur not driving la
happy.gif

Hey Tinsel

Thanks for the info! Oh so LNT = Trio! Yeah Shichida is very paranoid about the various spin-offs, obviously because it means less $ for Shichida and because it might actually force them to improve their customer service, teaching standards etc. Will be interesting to see if more Shichida parents migrate to LNT over the longer term!

As for the LNT home practice, it sounds almost identical to Shichida! Guess the teachers are sticking close to Shichida principles. We do Memory Game 2 in class but I haven't made similar games for Ems' home practice. Did you DIY the clown card? Any tips on how we can get good diagrams for this? Did you laminate the individual pieces (blue ball and yellow star)? And where did you pick up the Velcro tape?

Blowing - You guys do that at LNT too? I totally don't understand the Shichida obsession with blowing - they keep asking the bubs to do that - is blowing a life skill or does it somehow aid the right brain? If the teachers are LNT explain this to you, please share with us clueless Shichida mums! The upside to this is that Ems can now blow for China. Was just saying that for her second birthday, she can blow out her own candles. Still not convinced it's a life skill tho!
happy.gif

I've been lurking around, but its great to see how big all the kids have gotten! Bedebe, great pictures of veve as always, she's such a cutie

Yolk: You can get velcro from Daiso, cheap and good. I really don't know how you working moms find the energy and time to do home practice with your kids.
Ally doesn't attend any classes except kindermusik. I guess hb and I are just pretty laid back about academic stuff. Being non-Singaporean, he can't understand the pressure cooker that our school system is. Of course I wonder if Ally's losing out by not attending these classes but I guess us parents can only do the best we can for our kids.

Claire, any idea who are the good and experienced teachers at LNT? Are they all at the Bugis branch? The teachers i've had for the last 2 lessons are kinda young, and frankly, they were just ok, couldnt keep the kids' attention for too long cos they weren't loud/engaging enough IMO.

re LNT home practice - i think tinsel has done a pretty good summary of what we're supposed to do (but which i havent gotten down to doing yet! argh... must stop procrastinating.)

tinsel, thanks for your offer! but i'm staying really far from u heh.. at redhill! mine are the cheap seats la.. but i also cant remember the seat numbers!

same qns as yolksac - do you actually laminate the pieces used like in class? and how many different sets do you think we shld aim to make? was just thinking it wld make more sense if say each mummy makes 3 different sets for each memory game, then if can form a group of 4-5 mummies can swap around so it wont get so taxing.

yolksac, yes i dunno whats the big deal abt training them to blow! last lesson it was blowing a candle, yesterday they were blowing the streamers which were supposed to be steam coming from a freshly steamed fish! so funny!

jillian, thanks for the tip on the velcro! I think I might just go get some. wld you happen to know which section in daiso i can find it? cos daiso's kinda messy!

yolk,
ESP training sounds interesting! don't think we do that at LNT.
blowing: i think the purpose is to teach the kids to control their breathing, don't think it's directly related to right brain training... (at the beginning of the class we always do deep breathing for relaxation)

it's good that you'll be picking up french again. how's the french going for ems? i've stopped french, picking jap again coz of the LNT classes... have caught myself speaking in french in the LNT class, haha...

re: home practice
hehe, all i've done so far is sorting and motor skills. just downloaded some pics for body parts flashcards, but first i've got to buy the paper.... have been a really lazy mum
sad.gif

Hi Mummies!!

Long time no come in here to chat! how's everyone?

Toking abt LNT! I juz signed up at their new branch in Jurong East

will b starting jo in Jan
happy.gif

Jules: Daiso at Plaza Sing, the velcro is located near the cashier on your right side as you enter. On the left its all their christmas stuff and all the right its near the hair accessories. Much cheaper than Spotlight!

Dorami,

I would like to find out more about LNT. Any website and contact I can call re: their program. I am staying near Jurong too.

Yolksac/Jules/Jillian: i bought my velcro tape from Popular as they happened to come in blue, red, yellow etc...so can oso use them to do sorting at the same time but they're really ex lo!!! thanx jill for letting us know daiso oso sells them...will go & compare price coz need to use quite abit. for the clown card, u can juz google search for "free printable colouring for kids" and u'll see a wide variety, from there u choose which is suitable. i dun laminate the sheets or anything la....researching for ideas, materials, colouring and velcro already killed many brain cells, time & $$$, thus no more time & $$ to spend on laminating. anyway, i think the school laminates them due to heavy duty usage and they can reuse the materials again the following year/term. for memory games, i am currently doing 2 x memory game1 & 1 x memory game2 per session. blowing - hahhaha....me agree too and my girl still refuse to blow at the given object!! she would rather fiddle wif them but she can blow la coz she knows how to blow a whistle ma...kekekeke

Shymz: i juz bought 2 wooden puzzles (those wif knobs)on body parts from imm yesterday....very cheap, buy 2 get 1 free...only 9.90 for both.

jules: u stay redhill, comes to hougang for lnt? ain't bugis nearer? aiya, me too la...stays hougang, brings girl to sunset way for class!!

dorami: welcome to the lnt club!! seems like many mummies here are hooked on the right brain training thingy.

jillian: in s'pore, really bo bianz lei....and being mummy, the minute i think this, this & this program will do my child good, i'll juz let her try lo. of coz, bearing in mind krissa's interests rises above all. wants to nurture a love for learning, not to kill it!!! if u want to know abt right brain training but dunwan ally to attend school, perhaps u can check out the tweedlewink dvds. have started krissa on this & found it to be quite good.

tinsel_elf.. fr which shop u bought the puzzles fr? i'm interested to get them too.. n i'll b gg IMM today! wana get!

jo does the puzzles at baby jumper gym too.. i tried looking for them but usually they come w small knobs.. i'm lookin for those w bigger knobs

hi dorami: cannot remember if its on the 2nd or 3rd level, name of shop is "Learn thru Play". the puzzle can be found on ur left at the entrance. the knob size not too big lei...rather standard size i would say.

jillian, you are not alone. Faith has never STEPPED into a class before lor (except for a trial class @ kindermusik)..thatz all...haha

Yolksac/Jules/Dorami/Pita/Tinsel/Clair/Shymz
I also don't know how you FTWMs find the energy and time to do home practice after a long day at work...kuddos to you all!

Renz
Megan too! I'm beginning to think i'm a very lazy mummy!!

Just signed up for a preview at Little Neuro Tree Hougang Branch this sunday, 1030am
Anyone care to join me??

tinsel.. is it those pin size type?

renz.. nt much hm practice for me except flash cards.. i tink the rest of the mummies does much more

renz, hang on hang on i havent done any home practice or materials with xy so far either. this mummy usually too exhausted after work to do anything. this is the first class i am considering enrolling xy in lor.. all the rest were just trial classes. feel kinda pressurised to send her for something lor.. typical KS singaporean huh?

i've also got no time to do any home practice with xy so far.. the most i do is flash GD cards occasionally ( the most i can manage is once a day but sometimes i dont even get to do that) and read to her.

Back