(2006/10) OCTOBER 2006 MTB

Jenny,ya, once you latch the pump properly, need to pump a little then milk flow on its own. Amazing.

Wendy, yes, we have the measurement of the scan on the spot, the nurse called me regarding the result of the blood test for down syndrome. Only when these two test added together will the accuracy increase to 90%. Latching is getting the bb to suck properly onto the breast for feeding.

Hi Gemini, thanks for the info. Wait till I have no more ms will try to call beautician to arrange.

Wendy, when I mentioned 1st tri result I meant the result for HIV, Hep B, Rubella, Diabetes, blood sugar level, etc. Cos the nurse did not tell me result for those, she only talked about the donw syndrome test, so i aaume for that result I'll have to wait till I see gynae.

crystallized,
babies will only poo inside when they are in distress which cause their rectum muscle to squeeze the poo out. it's potentially deadly if not discovered cos it could get into bb's lungs.
Mine was discovered in the labour ward when bb's irregular heartbeat was detected. Gynea decided to break the water bag and saw that the amniotic fluid was brown, which means that bb has pooed. that's why i ended up with emergency c-section.

crystallized / jasmine / wtan
REVIEW OF BREAST PUMP
I had 3 other "pumping buddies" at work. yes, we pump together. I think this has helped me in persevere in pumping cos we encourage each other along the way. Anyway, between the 4 of us, there were 3 types of electric pumps and these are the popular models that a lot of mothers would get. The following review are our observations after comparing the 3 pumps.

MEDELA MINI ELECTRIC (DUAL PUMP)
I got this one. Cost about $260 after 20% discount at robinsons. Parts easy to assemble, dismantle and wash. Suction power is quite good.
Pumping action is alternate across 2 breast (think milking a cow) which i think can stimulate milk flow better. Major con is that this one is noisy, sounds like a lawnmower. But i got used to the noise after 1 yr. Just cover with a towel / cushion if u find it too noisy. On the whole, this pump has served me well.

AMEDA DUAL PUMP
Can't remember the exact name but ameda is also another popular choice. Also cost about $200 plus. Very quiet and good suction power. However, parts are a bit more complicated and there is this rubber valve that needs replacing very often, or else the milk can't flow down the funnel properly and will flood. i've seen this happening to 2 of my friends and heard many more of such cases. Each set of valve is $16. Not very economical in the long run.

MEDELA PUMP IN STYLE (PIS)
The rolls royce of breast pump, this one cost about $600. I regretted not getting this one. if only i knew that my "pumping career" would last 13 mths. Extremely quiet, good suction power. can finish pumping faster. But it's bulky cos it comes with attached cooler bag. i would recommend this if u have the cash to spare or is very sure that you can make bfg work.

For those who consider pumping at work, i would strongly recommend getting an electric dual pump cos it saves a lot of time.

coral,
it's safe to go for facials without machines. steamers are fine. it's just that mine uses machine that emit ultrasound and the therapists would advise pregnant ladies not to go.

Good morning!!!

Hi babygrace,
really thanks for ur helpful info. i think one day i need to go shopping mall to check it out. should buy b4 giv birth, rite?

Jenny,
as u r experienced alrdy, am sure u noe which pump works best 4 u. 4 us 1st time mummies, there is no way we can try till aft delivery rite? cant b buyg it now and tryg on our breasts? *ouch!*
crazy.gif

wendy,
yah am thinkg to borrow 1 fr my fren and i myself get 1 on my own. huh? keep in ofc? er, nvr think so long term yet leh.
uhoh.gif

babygrace,
thks 4 the descrption of each brand!!!
happy.gif

so do u noe why its called "mini pump"? mini as in size mini or power suction mini? hahahaa
lol.gif

hmmm, ameda pump sounds quite troublesome leh. gotta replace the rubber thingy. i dun think i like this idea v much. so this brand no gd.

the Medela PIS, wow! $600+! i am not sure if i will cont bfg 4 such a long time leh.... yah i noe its exp coz it comes wif the whole works... hmmm... how abt the rest of the brands like Avent or Pigeon etc? none of ur frens used tt b4? i guess Medela is 1 of the leading brands, but if its annoying noisy, dunno can tahan anot since the intial bfg is v frustrating. the noise juz adds to the frustration!
crazy.gif

crystallized,
No No, not experienced before I gave birth last year. I bought the Avent ISIS Manual Pump before I gave birth cos a lot of my colleagues are using this and they highly recommend it. I use it only after giving birth lah.
If your office has a nursing room with plug, you can buy an electric pump. Like what babygrace had describe, Medela Mini Electric Pump is really noisy. The motor sound very loud.

jenny ah,

oic u bought it coz many coll recommend it lah. hmmm, so far i dun hear much frens and coll using manual one, so i dun think i dare to start off wif manual one yet.

my ofc not so pro-bfg yet leh. but guess if i wanna perserve, can still do so in the washrm. its quite clean though.
happy.gif
but where to store the BM? the fridge in my ofc isnt exactly v hygienic leh.

now tt u ladies mentioned medela is noisy (i read abt it in some other threads b4), dun think i wanna get tt. though i read in bks tt some babies find such motor sound v comforting. hehe
lol.gif
v funny syndrome leh. i think i myself will b really really irritated wif the motor sound.

Hihi
Finally saw my bb today 11wk 6days at 5.2cm. At first when dr scan she facing the scan than hands and legs moving than I think a bit comfortable liao bb just lie and stay still. My dr wanted to measure the neck skin a few times than bb refused to move no matter what we try.
In the end dr ask me to turn cos bb dun want to move. Than scan halfway bb looks like not happy moving hands and legs and did a headstand and somersault!!
Me and hubby so amazed...hehe
kao_clap.gif

Than dr tell me she help me look for "ji ji" .... than she say cannot see it next scan than she help me look for it again....
I dunno what to say ....
kao_confused.gif

crystallized,
i think pigeon and avent are more known for the manual pumps. So far the friends that i know that have suceeded in bfg use electric pump. But then again, i've read how people can use their bare hands to squeeze the milk out, so i think manual pump is still "do-able" except that we're all too pampered. haha!
The sound from medela is bearable for me and like i mentioned earlier, can use a towel or cushion to cover it to mask out the noise. I guess if the noise bothers u, then maybe the ameda one would be better. As for replacing the rubber valve, it only happens after using for about 3 mths so it's still not too expensive. Just troublesome to get it cos Ameda is not readily available everywhere.

Hi Yasmine,
I also seeing Dr Ang. U did the OSCAR too? Me too. U went yesterday after work? Mayb I saw u at the Clinic?? Dr Ang said will only hear from him today if there's bad news. Otherwise, will wait till next appointment to explain the OSCAR results. My hubby said i crazy to do the OSCAR. He said dun know much is better..

Hi all MTBS,
My baby's neck fluid is 1.2. Gynae said it's within normal range. How about you all? What's your babies readings?

BF: My friend's collegue's wife was breastfeeding for 7 years continously! They have 4 boys within the period, so she never stopped. One of the boys was breastfed until 4 years old! And my friend said she's very slim wor!

crystallized,
hee hee you very funny. Most ppl start off with manual pump first, then convert to electric one when the ss starts to come in. Your office not pro-bfg? Then where can you pump the milk beside washroom? Washroom won't have plug if you are using electric pump. Though office washrooms are usually quite clean hor, I still find it yucks to pump in washrooms. You can use cooler bag to store the BM.

babygrace,
Hmm, I've known quite a number of colleauges using manual pump and still suceed with bf wor.

Janice,
You are seeing Dr Ang too ah? Me too. Wow your friend's colleague's wife very li hai leh! 7 years!!! Save a lot of $$$ on FM.

janice
Urr my gynea took bb neck skin measurement a few times today all reading bout 0.7 all less than 1. U asking bout this or neck fluid is another test??

Jasmine
My skin turn oily too a lot of pimples on my face now also. So sad.

Before y skin was oily than turn normal so I changed my skin care products now pregnant turn now oily again
sad.gif

Hi Jenny, my friend's colleague's wife is a housewife wor..If for us working mothers, dun think we can li hai so long..
sad.gif

Ya, actually I know u are seeing Dr Ang from a table that was put at this thread. Hey! Now nobody update liao??

Dr Ang counted my baby's fingers and said got 10 fingers. He said it's very important lor. He said there was 1 case where the baby had only 5 fingers, the other hand dun have. He sent the results back to the hospital to confirm and it was true. So the couple aborted the baby.. So sad..
sad.gif

Hi Doreen, just found the website below.
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/544491.html#3

The neck fluid measurement is called NT measurement.
it says:"An NT measurement of up to 2.0mm is normal at about 11 weeks, and up to about 2.8mm by 13 weeks and 6 days. This is because the NT normally grows in proportion to the growth of the baby."

*PHEW*

Doreen,
AT least ur baby still moved abit when u shifted. mine was v stubborn. refused to move even his limbs.
angry.gif
so hard to measure neck thickness!!!!

babygrace,
thks 4 the short summary. i guess u r right, most pple mentioned pigeon & avent manual pumps. hardly hear abt the electric ones.

i need to noe how noisy is noisy. mayb i will ask my frens whom got the medela one. the ameda one is troublesome coz u mentioned the parts not readily available. i dun wanna b stuck.
crazy.gif

Jenny,
i find it waste money leh, buy manual one then "upgrade" to electric one later. might as well buy electric one and make me heartache so i will b more keen on bfg.
biggrin.gif
i am quite confident i wanna do it, alrdy got the lactaction consultant number ready.
happy.gif

oh yah hor, need socket. nvm, mayb can use some of the spare rms and put a sign "BFg in process"! hahahahaha
lol.gif
cooler bag as in those like Medela PIS right? wif insulated one so can store BM.

hey ladies, i 4got where i read but they say manual pump ah, when u use, juz need to depress and hold. no need to keep pumping and releasing, making the fingers ache. true?
uhoh.gif

crystallized,
i agree with you that buy manual pump then upgrade quite waste money, may as well do it right the 1st time. i also think the same way as you, since i already paid $200 plus already, have to try to make it work.
My pumping buddies and i hijack a meeting room, lock it out and put a sign outside that says, "Room in use, pls come back in 20 mins." After a while, the rest of the people in office understand what we do in there.
As for storing the breastmilk, if your office people don't mind, you can place the milk in a small cooler bag (leave it unzipped) in the fridge. In that way, pple can't really see the bottles of milk. For me, i got a mini fridge at my workstation, cost about $80 but i find that it's not as cold as the normal fridge. Bring ice bricks and leave them in the freezer and when it's time to go back, place them in the cooler bag. I bought lots of ice bricks cos there were times where i had to be out on course and i'll pump anyway, including in the car. The ice bricks will keep my milk cold for at least 6-8 hours.
Be prepared to bring lots of barang barang to office when u pump. Quite heavy also. I used to bring a tote bag for bfg things and another bag for my laptop. And i got to pick my son up after work, so imagine me carrying 3 bags and a baby.

Hi all! Im new here and a first-time MTB. I'm now abt 10wks preggie... hope to learn more in this forum as im totally clueless!
happy.gif

babygrace,

can see u r determined to make bfg work thus all ur barang barang! do u drive or ur hb picks u? cant imagine gotta carry so many things and pick up baby on ur own!!!
uhoh.gif

hehe, gd idea to "hijack" the rm... hmmm, worth discussion wid my other coll.
happy.gif

eee the fridge in my ofc not well maintained one. dun think wanna plc my BM 4 storage there...

hi ziggy,
welcome! we r all new except 4 a few 2nd time mums here.
happy.gif

crystallized,
by the time i went back to work, i've already bf for 6 mths. by then, milk flow is well established. just have to find time out of busy work schedule to pump. that's a different challenge altogether. i set mini milestones - to bf till 9 mths and when 9 mths came, i told myself since i already fed for 9 mths, may as well continue to 1 yr.
i drive myself and pick my boy up on my own. hubby usually has got to work late. So every day is a mad rush for me to pick bb up from the infantcare on time, bathe and feed him when i reach back. Sigh! Those were the difficult times.

babygrace,
u stopped work for 6 mths? wow! wished i can do that!
happy.gif
but then its really not easy. hehehe, bfg muz b really enjoyable, else u wun keep dragging the "deadline" again & again. ur baby benefits the most!
happy.gif

but i read tt as we go longer, the BM is no longer as nurtritious as the 1st few mths when we BF coz baby oso needs more nutrition as he grows older. ur boy muz b on weaning now rite? so tt means u nvr bought any FM? hehehe

am sure tt now ur boy is older, things r definitely easier as compared to last time.
happy.gif

btw i heard when we r bfg, we cannot take alot of tonics?
uhoh.gif

crystallized,
i was on no pay leave for 6 mths after i gave birth which gives me even more reason to make bf work. Plus i had to follow hubby to France for 1 mth when he was 3 mths old. So bf him was definitely much easier than bringing FM.
i've completely stopped bf a few weeks after i realised that i'm pregnant. My milk ss dipped very low. I started supplementing with FM when he was 11 mths old cos i had to drop one pump session at work (i used to pump 2x at work) due to my busy schedule. He had no problem with that. By then he was on solids so he's getting most of the nutrients from there too. The problem with breastfed bb is that they may suffer from iron deficiency (that's the extreme case) but in most cases, bb can get their iron source from green leafy veg, meat (i give him beef and liver often).
Yes, i hardly bought any FM, except small tins to standby but never got to finish them b4 expiry. Now that he's fully on FM, i realised how much money i saved on FM then. haha!

As for tonic, i still took the usual stuff that my CL made. i took ginger cooked food though i didn't really eat much of the ginger itself. Alcohol evaporates after cooking so no problem with that too. In fact, with bfg, the mother better take more tonic to nourish herself. I drank lots of soup as the fluid would help in milk production. For me, i realised that eating and resting well would increase my milk ss.

Hihi gals,

I will be going to see my gynae tomorrow.I'm so so happy really looking forward to see my little one in me tomorrow im in my 11 wks this week.Can I check with you gals,when the scanning is done what do I expert to see ?Will be baby be formed by now means I can wee the head,legs and hand??Can anyone advise ?So at least I will be prepared when Im there tomorrow

Hi Mother of Princess,

So nice to see you hear !!!So when will your date due be??I'm happy and excited & at last I'm preggie....been waiting for some time already.So Will I be able to see the gender as well...heheh just curious.

Hi every1, Im a 1st time mummy. Im 12weeks preggie. Finally, my 1st trimester has ended. I will be visting doc this sat. Im looking 4ward 2 it. My last vist was 3 weeks ago, my bb is 3cm onli. Hope bb will grow bigger when on my next visit. Cant wait till this sat.

Hi Janice,
ya, i went to see Dr Ang last Friday for the Oscar test..Dr Ang "poke" my arms few times but no blood, the nurse teasted me say never do housework... finally forth time successful !! scare me and so painful too...

me reached abt 7pm.... wat time u there?

entering 2nd trimester this week but still feel like viomitting leh
sad.gif
and still very moody, tot will be better, hope the "awful" feeling go away fast, how u girls feeling ?

Hi Jenny,

U r seeing Dr Ang too...when ur next appoinment ? mine 26 Apr..

gals
i am using the medela PIs....as the bag is a abackpack...so is not as heavy for gals who dun drive....and the bag is quite stylish...this machine cmes with battery operated as well...so for gals whose office environ is not pro bfding, u still could do it without an ac power....the batterey operated is as great as the ac power...no compromise on the suction power....also, this PIS cme with a bag and ice brick for 4 containers....the ice brick can last 13 hrs....at the 12th hrs, is as cool...no worry on milk turing bad if ur office does not have a fridge....but if u put the bag in a car under hot sun, it will not last 13 hrs...so normal working office should be no problem....it also cmes with a manual pump....but i never used it before cos it needs to two hands to manual pump a single breast....this PIS could even choose to electric pump one breast if u need....so overall this pump is a good investment....but i heard fr another collic that the ameda pump is just as good....only that it is slighly louder then the PIS...

Hi Gadis and Cynthia, mayb baby will wave at u on your next visit! My gynae said should be able to know baby's gender at Week 12. But my baby shy leh, always pose sideways. Can't see..

Hi Yasmine, did u go with your hubby? There was one preggie woman before me had done the OSCAR test. And the hubby was asking the nurse about the package also. Dunno if it was u. I was there at about 7.15pm.

For me, ok leh. Dr Ang just poke my arm 1 time, not painful also. I was very surprised also as I had quite a painful experience with a nurse before.

Still vomiting lor. Getting worse, I think..

Hi babygrace, thanks for advise on facial. And also all the other things about breast pumps and bf.

Angeline, I have the intention of buying the pIS, last year I manage to get hold of the contact of the direct sales office and it's cheaper than buying from retail out let, wondering if you bought yours from retailers or directly from teh importer? I lost my contact now trying to fidn it again.

Heard that 1st tri end at 16wks and not 12 wks. But at 14wks, one can be sure that chances of ms drops to almost zero.

Hi coral,

oic. Though my MS is better, still cant eat much for dinner, not much appetite.

Maybe you can eat smaller meals.

Hi MTBs,

I'm not sure whether you gals had heard of this old wives' myth, but it's better to heed than to be sorry later...

1) No cutting/sewing on the bed.
2) When there's renovation work/drilling/ painting, try to avoid being there.

Why I have brought up this, is that on Sat nite, I was using a pair of scissors to open up my letter on the bed.After I have opened the letter, then I realised it. Have to blame it on my hubby. He did not put away the scissors after using. Now I'm so worried....

I do have a red patch on my chest. My mum was telling me that when she's expecting me, a small hut was being built next to our kampung house. Over the years, the red patch has much reduced cos the house was demolished. I do not know whether it's concidence or what, but I think try to avoid doing all this for this period of time.

Hi janice, thks 4 sharing. i will be so overwhelmed if bb wave @ me. I did not knw that we r able 2 know the gender @ week 12. I had the mind set that we r able 2 know the gender @ 4mth..

Hi gadis, oh man...u r meeting ur gynae tml. Do keep us updated on ur baby k.....

so many postings again ah..
can't finish reading
but i read abt breast pumps
prob we can come together n buy from the distributor when we are nearer to our EDD or after our delivery?
anyway, no hurry to get one now as there's warranty period.. so get one now, can't try it, by the time u use, warranty period almost over liao..

Hi Cynthia,

I will definitely update you gals once I see my little one in me tomorrow.I'm so excited and really waiting for the day to end.I'm worried but hopefully everything goes smoothly

So when will your appointment be?

Gemini,

I heard of both. But then when I was expecting with my No. 1, my office was under major renovation. And a new extended building was built behind my office.

There are lots of other myths. I also like half believe half dun lah. Just take things easy. I just sew my dress yesterday at my mum place but she din say anything. I did sew my hb's clothings when I was expecting with No.1. I think what it means is Not in bed bah. There's a lots of myths but I can't remember them cos always read then forget. I also heard cannot cut fingernails on bed. I think if scare, just avoid doing things on the bed bah.

gadis,
My next check-up will b this coming sat. Why shld u b worried? Everything will b fine. Shld look 4ward 2 every visit.

HI Gemini,

What my mum do when such things happen, she'll take a broom to sweep the 4 corners of the room. She said they accidentally cut newspaper on the bed when preg with my bor. So they quickly do as told by old folks.My bro came out fine. My mum also said if need to move things, take a broom to sweeparound the things to move before shifting.

ladies,
in generally juz avoid doing any cutting / sewing on BED. this theory had been drilled in me since young. heard mum and aunties reminding preggie ladies abt this all the time. i cant imagine not cutting/sewing for the rest of 9 mths elsewhere in the hse? ridiculous!
crazy.gif

but gemini, dun dwell on it since the act has been done. tt was coz u din noe. not like u purposely do it rite? dun worry abt it anymore.
happy.gif

aiyoh, MS still there at 14 wks++, sigh.... seemed to b getting better at times but no signs of total disappearance. 1st trimester ending at 16 wks? hmmm, 1st time i heard of. the usual is either 12 or 14 wks.

babygrace,
i heard eating ginger causes jaundice in babies. yah we need more nourishing food since we r bfg, but certain tonics sure cant take, and i dunno wat r those.
uhoh.gif

yah i oso quite determined to make bfg work, at least during ttt 3 mths of maternity leave. juz hoping everything will turn out fine.

Hi MTBs,
My mum told me cannot eat ba1 jiao3 dang1 gui1. Think it's one of the ingredients found in the Shi2 chuan2 tonic soup. Can cause miscarriage. So just b careful.

Alot of myths lah. But it's up to u to believe. Too many things to pan dang if u really ON. For me, I moved house just 3 weeks ago. And was around when reno was going on. And hubby also not supposed to drill in any part of the house. But he drilled lor. And we also swept the floor on the 1st day of CNY...

My sis also moved hse when she pregnant. But what my mum did was ask her to stay in the room. But when they shifting the furniture in my sis also walk around the house. Somemore she moved twice once with us than into her own house.

But for me I think if possible try to avoid if can lor just dun do on purpose can liao.

I also hope to be fully bfing my bb since I'm not working. But now a bit lazy to read up maybe I just get help from my sis when I'm nearing my EDD.
biggrin.gif

Btw my sis told me before she and another colleague was bfing together last time and they hijack a room that has a wine fridge which she use to keep her bf. Her colleague used a cooler bag which she was saying was very good but very ex so in the end she didn't buy.

Just went for my 2nd gynae appt today at 11wks. Bb has grown from 2cm to 4cm now! It waved and somersaulted and swam lke an olympian swimmer!! Very active and cldnt sit still to pose for a "pic". haha...

first time seein the bb move.. feeling more excited as it seems more real now

can't wait for the next appt (4 wks later) to see bb again!

Breast Pump
I have the Avent manual pump. Recently (last year) Avent also come up with electric pump. Even though I bf for 11.5 months, I didn't bother with an electric pump cuz I quit my job when Ethan was 4 months plus, so I intended to direct bf most of the time rather than pumping. Now dunno whether to invest in electric pump since I'm less likely to have another child so pump will only be used for 1 baby!

Myths
I heard of those myths Gemini mentioned, though I don't really believe, but I still follow! Used to cut Ethan's nails while he's sleeping on my bed! After I found out preggie, have to learn to trim his nails while he is awake (and moving about!).

MS
As usual, after I think MS gone, start feeling sick again, even though not vomitting. I think it's the bloatedness, constipation, excessive saliva, wind, horrible-taste-in-mouth contributing to my feeling like vomitting! Last time round, I was sick all the way until 14 (or 15? or 16) weeks. Then MS went away completely. This time MS keeps "coming back", I'm wondering whether it will go away completely.

kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif

<font color="119911">Hi hi ladies..
Sorry for MIA for one day..hope I m able to catch up with the postings..wow..thks for sharing abt the topics..</font>

Hi hi Jenny/babygrace/Angeline Lee/chihiro/kypf..
Thks a MILLION for sharing with us abt the BF pumps..really nice to be able to have u all here with us..thks a lot! Really appreciate u all..cheers~

Hi hi janice..
Cool to hear that ur friends colleagues wife BF for 7yrs..cool man! Really got to salute her..impressed!

hi hi all newbies..
welcome to the thread..do hope to hear more gd news abt the baby along the way..it's awaz nice to hear abt the baby..so sweet..cheers~

Hi hi Gemini/coral..
Oh my, me getting worried now abt the mythsI was at my mums place helping her to pack for her trip to Japan last wk, then on her bed, she tied a ribbon into a knot to identify her baggage..then I KPO, helped her to tie another butterfly knotbut immediately release the knot aft realizing I m doing it on her bed..i m now worried..duno if it will be ok..or shd I follow corals advice to sweep the 4 corners of my mums bedroom?

kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif
kao_smile.gif