(2006/04) April 2006 MTB

<font color="ff0000">bblim</font>

Re: Food strike
I've gone thru that phase recently. The problem resolved itself after i changed my menu. This lazy mummy always gave either ngor he or chicken porridge, with similar cooking styles. So much so that my boy started to reject fish porridge last week. Sometimes when i'm in the mood, will make tomato alphabet pasta, but that's at most once a week.

So i found and experimented with new recipes, and he started eating as usual again. Imagine if we adults had to eat the same thing for the last few mths, we'll get sick of it sooner or later.

Is Reanne eating her cereals? I think cereals are quite comprehensive in its nutrients (with added fruit and BM/FM), so if she misses out on her porridge, it won't be that bad if she still takes her cereals.

<font color="ff0000">Walking & talking</font>
Aiden is walking like a pro now (loves to climb the staircase at my parents' place), but not talking much. Limited vocabulary - mum, geez, and the usual baby babble. Those mummies whose babies have not started to walk/talk, rem that they are individuals and just let them develop at their own pace.

<font color="ff0000">Gymboree</font>
Brought Aiden to Gymboree trial class at Harbourfront last Sunday. He enjoyed the gym equipment very much, but did not pay much attention to the coordinator at all. He had to be "forced" to join in the activities, and if left on his own, he just wandered off to explore the tunnels and slides.

When it came to the section when the coordinator brought out a tub of toys for the babies to choose from, he snatched the biggest and most popular toy of all - the tambourine - and hogged it most of the time. And worst.... he hit another baby's head with it.... I was so apologetic and embarrassed! And later on, he went to pull another baby's hair out of the blue.... I did not know what to say to the baby's mommy, except to apologise profusely
sad.gif

We did not sign up in the end cos we decided he needed a class which enforces discipline! So we thinking of GUG.

<font color="ff0000">Cheers</font>
How was the GUG trial class? What programs did they have?

<font size="+1">Haircut</font>

Where to go for a good hairdresser/barber who can handle squirmish babies? I'm thinking of shaving off Aiden's hair before his 1st birthday. It's just not growing well, and I hope by shaving everything off, it will stimulate his hair glands a bit.

Tanwawas,

The class about 1 and half hour. Have storytelling and song singing both in English and Mandarin, a bit of phonics,simple craft work. They introduced papaya to the kids and gave them some to taste during the class I attended, so I guess they do a diff fruit every lesson. I think Dylan was the second youngest there (about 11.5 mths). the youngest one was a 8 month old baby, held most of the time by his grandma. When I saw the kid next to me staring interestedly at the pictures the teacher was holding, I asked his mum how old he was. He was 16 months old. So my hope is that Dylan will settle down more when he is older. Anyway, can't join in the program now too coz they are full. Am on waiting list. You have to go to class twice or thrice a week. Right now, only Mon class has vacancy. Wed and fri ones are full. So if interested, can just go one time on mon and put yourself on waitlist. Hope that helps.

BABY TALKING
Evon, my son is opp from your girl. He can say mama but simply can't say Pa Pa. To think that he used to make 'papapa' sound all the time when he was 7-8 months. Now that you want it to say it purposefully, he is really showing difficulty to make the same sound, his lips clenched and despite trying very hard (coz in exchange for his favorite fruit puff), no sound can come out.

RAINING, CAN"T GO ZOO
Weather really not in our favour, so prob can't do any outdoor activities tom. Any mummies got any suggestions as to where to bring Dylan for his birthday treat? Somewhere indoor and got stuff for him to play or see and fairly importantly, for his parents to have lunch?
happy.gif

cheers

cheers

BABY TALKING AND WALKING
I thought we were alone when we saw photos of the babies standing and walking already and some cheerfully able to say some words.

my best friend even shared that hers could run a bit at 12 months and talk more words by 13 months. Teeth wise was my mom commenting that XT seems slow from all bbs she saw so far. She worries that the rest come together at the same time... n that would be terrible and painful for XT, isn't it?

So, that's why was a bit concerned.

=)

Thanks, mommies.

Sound like GUG is very porpular. Riz also cannot sit or stay still. Not too sure if GUG is gd for him rite now.

Riz loves to scream. Once we bought him to Thai Express in City Hall, he sat on the child seat and scream & scream. Even make the another type of sound like wants to vomit out. The school girls at the back of us were so afraid that he will vomit.

Riz loves to say 'Papa where?' or Ma!. If he can't gets our attention, he will goes like this: Eeks!

Just saw him trying to get his push car upside dw. I just stay near to watch him. He tried & tried and manage it. He was so happy when he saw what he had done. I'm so proud of him cos he did nt call for help and was v determine to get it done.

Can tell me more about the shichida class? Got trial?

Talking..hmm..my gal hasn't start talking juz. Just baby babble and screaming with joy at times. Haven't hear her call papa and mama yet..

Keziah got a toddler's bike for her birthday..heehee..she loves it..

Petite,

Riz says "papa where?" My Enya loves to say "tu tu where?" That's when she looks for her pacificer during bedtime.
happy.gif

Ladies,

Want to share a good new with all of you. I just receive an email telling me that Enya is shortlisted for the FACES contest. The one that is organise by Abott and I love children, searching for their ambassador. I'm so excited.

Hi,

Mummies interested in GUG class on wed & fri 1pm slot, you may wish to call them up again n ask if there's availabe slots cos from my understanding a few of the students are moving to the toddlers' class for the next term...therefore they should b able to take in a few babies to replace.The mummies only decided this week to put their child in the toddlers' class.. Term 3 starting on 25 April.

Thks Rach for the info.

Congrats to Tracy and Enya! Can post a pic of pretty little Enya here?

Mummies who've attended the Shichida talk - can share with us what u've gained from the talk? So many classes to choose from, so little time and $$....

<font color="ff0000">Cheers</font>
Thks for the description. I'm quite sure Aiden will behave the same way like Dylan, cannot pay attention and cannot sit still for a sec. How did u manage to sign up for the trial class, btw?

Wow, everyone seems to be in this hot topic of sending your precious ones for enrichment classes at barely juz over a year old ler. Aiyo, by reading these posts already makes this lazy mommy stress liao.
crazy.gif
My initial plan was to let my gal attend classes only at age of 18months old.

Mayb can start a list on the who attended what classes, location, description, fees & feedback which I believe will benefit all mommies here who, like me, are interested to find out more.

1. GUG (united square), 1h30min.
Storytelling, Song Singing both in English and Mandarin, Phonics, Simple Craft Work.

2. Shichida (Springleaf/ Toa Payoh)
Flashcards.

hunniepot,

No lar. Still dun have my own domain yet. Juz only have a very simple yahoo webpage created last time when attending some webpage design course lah. So tot of uploading my gal's daily video shots onto it so my hubby can view when he is overseas mah. Thanks anyway for your help. But too bad, he cannot view youtube as is being blocked by his co.

Btw saw in your blog that you used Foto-U for your family photoshoot. Who was your photographer then?

TWWs,

Not anymore. Reanne has refused to take cereals since beg April. So I gave wholemeal + white bread with cheese, HT teddy puffs, Gerber star puffs, hardboiled & steamed egg for brunch. But she only likes star puffs n eggs. Any more suggestions coz I really run out of ideas liao?

Lunch + Dinner menu would be either
- porridge (plain/ sweet potato/ pumpkin) with chicken/ pork/ fish (threadfin n cod fish)/ dried scallop/ ground sliverfish/ dou qi zi with red dates n tang shen or
- Mee Sua with chicken liver/ chicken + mixed peas or
- ABC pasta with cheese or chopped tomato added or
- Chicken stew.

Tink her menu more interesting than mine ler. Everyday different ler. Dunno what's her problem oso.
kao_cry.gif
Can teach me how to make tomato pasta sauce, pls? Thanks.

Morning...

Wow.. I am impressed with Shichida method. Half way to be "converted". Haahaaa...

Let me settle down first and tell u mommies more.

Hi Ladies,

I noticed that most of u are feeding ur babies with mee sua and ABC pasta etc. can I check with u if ur baby is able to swallow the food without chewing? I've been feeding my boy porridge and I noticed that he doesn't chew his food cos I can still see bits of the veg in his poo the next day. I've been trying to introduce some texture in his food and encourage him to chew but he still prefers to just swallow his food. He has 8 teeth now. Any advice??

Looks like many of you here hv enrolled your little ones to some form of classes. I'm very lazy. hv not signed up anything for my boy. I've heard that shichida is good but it's pricy and mummy needs to be hardworking to go thru the flash cards at home too. not easy...

kao_babydust.gif

Re:Shichida Class
Shichida class preview explains that Prof Shichida believes bb's brain're like sponge at birth as the nerves re developing n during tix time, left brain is still not formed while right brain is and thus explain a few behaviours that bbs behave.

Tix actually link to the book I mentioned previously on bb's brain development on how fragile it is at young and if we do not start a good parenting at young age, the bb's brain would eventually develop to be very fragile, lack of confidence and unable to handle stress.

The same was mentioned.

He believes brains at 0-3 yrs are the most potential time for right brain development.

In fact, shared on few children they ve to come with lack of focus and concentration come to be a child that has very good focus and concentration? And some can speed read. Some can perform solving mathetical questions. And some develop extra sensory perception (ESP). Some develop very good character and personality too.

They also highlight this is a skillset for our chidren to learn and thus unlike all other enrichment classes outside.

Because of that, they warn us <font color="ff0000">not</font> to think that coming to this class, is to achieve good academic results.

Yet, note, like they mention this is a skillset, our children would need to attend the classes and do homework with the parent at home for at least 2 yrs to see results.

The homework ranges, it can be flashcards, reading books, block games etc. But if you think of it, it is more for parent-child bonding.

Education is not about pushing to the school, enrichment class. It is more of us having to be there with the kids to truly develop the confidence in them and the book I read also mentioned abt it.

Yet, like a mommy asked, it is really time consuming and may also cause the child to be too dependent on us. The manager didn't revert on her later part of the question except to acknowledge that a child's education development is determined or attributed from us, we the parents.

The class is not cheap lo and very intensive.

One term is 12 weeks.

Class starts from Jan, Apr, Jul and Sep. Only a week each to take a break.

Class on weekdays is cheaper than weekends. Cost wise, ard 720-780 not inclusive of GST yet for a term!

What I love about tix class, is the manager dares to guarantee on the returns if 1. parent + child take part in class together 2. attend the class frequently (not taking breaks in middle of terms etc. If he dares to guarantee, I would love to take up that challenge. Haahaaa. =p

Anyway, anything I probably want to let XT go is probably the promise they claim that they ve toddlers with focus span short eventually ve developed really good focus span.

bblim

recipe for tomato pasta sauce

it's very easy, really. u first boil some water, dunk 2/3 tomatoes into the boiling water, let them sit for 40sec to 1 min, and peel the skin off after u remove the tomatoes from the water. this process is to make it easier to peel the skin.

chop the skinned tomatoes, and simmer them for 15-20min. u can add some ground thyme (ground herb that u can buy from NTUC under McCormick brand), and other ingredients u decide on your own. I usually add pumpkin or broccoli, fish or chicken. if u prefer, can melt some parmesan cheese before serving.

hope Reanne likes this
happy.gif

my boy does.....
I've tried tomato and cheese risotto recently, and he likes it too. i'll post the recipe sometime when i'm more free, cos it involves more steps.

kao_babydust.gif

Re: GUG Trial

GUG trial only has in the weekdays, the last I asked. Think they got one slot on yesterday and Monday as the director, Ann did offer. (Yet I can't take leave now... so haiz).

I read that some places GUG uses the similar materials and so the children may lose their attention span after a while.

I think, this is what makes GUG and Shichida the difference too.

But I guess GUG is more for the child to play and interact and learn and explore things.

Not sure... would let u all noe after XT goes for the lessons on 28 Apr.

I ve heard good comments on JG at EVans road. But it is quite out of the way for me. Maybe for SAHM can bring your bbs there for the classes too and share?

Evon,

Would you be signing up for the class? Most prob I will just try for 1 term and learn how they teach...

I might sound very critical here.. but the staff there did not leave me and my hubby a very good impression. We are just joining for the sake of knowing how to teach thats all.. as we believe in the right bain technique..

Firstly, the presenter claims that she has been teaching there for 5 years. and her spoken English is way off, cant even pronounce certain words properly...

She claimed that she loves children but I cant feel it.. Amanda was sitting just right in front and she tried 'talking' to the presenter and the presenter didnt even take 1 look at her.. in fact I felt that she was slightly irritated that Amanda was making noise during the presentation.. In my opinion, a person who truly loves children will not behave in such a manner

Though the manager claims that he will do us a refund if there are no results at the end of the course (at least 1 year or something), provided that we have done our parts as parents to do our homework.. but will this be stated down in the contract? Being an ex-salesperson myself.. I know how these sales people talk.. and I feel that the talk is more like a sales pitch than anything else..

Ok, I might sound totally biased here.. but it is just how I felt about the preview yesterday... who knows I might just change my mind after 1 term and continue on for as long as possible..

Hunniepot,

i guess that when u left.

Let me put in tix way.

Not everybody teaches, re born to love children. Tix is applicable to schools as well.

So that is why I still believe that it really depends on how fated our children is with the teacher too.

And I think, that is also the fact that these schools understand and want the parent to participate as well.

Heehee.. I too was once a volunteer in teaching in primary schools and to me, handling of toddlers and handling of school children are truly two different matters. =p

That is the reason also why Shichida class does not allow us to choose the teacher as well.. heehee...

BTW, the manager mentioned something as well, the Shichida class is not a language class and thus we as parents would need to understand this and should not fault the teachers for the poor language spoken. =p

A pity u left.. U should ve "bombed" her on her language. Haahaaa...

For the class, I am still hesitating.

Not cheap le.

At least $6k for two yrs to see results?!

I am in the midst of changing jobs n some was telling me the other job would require me to travel overseas and so I am a bit hesitant becoz of the flexibility of this class too.

Don't know how you feel.

Yet, I think, it is just to captivate the approach taught and practice at home that makes the differences. The book I saw, mentioned, it is the good parenting that educates our toddlers to its maximum.

A pity I m not SAHM. No such leisurely.

heehee... =p

Sales talk... ya.. even can claim school fees not raised since 2001. blah blah.

who don't sell its products good one?

So got to think probably before any committments. Same applies to any mommies buying insurance products. Don't buy straight away.. just tell them to come back to u two/three days later.

Weigh the pros n cons, especially if something that involves so such money.

For me, now, I am wondering if Einsten, Newton don't attend such classes and develop such good minds... maybe I should let XT to go naturally?

In short, it is money and committment to weekly training that I am having hinderance now.

Evon,Hunniepot,

Who was the speaker? anyway, i have frens who attended also dun buy their sales talk. In the end, depend on your own believe. Personally, i believe tat child stimulation is best at 0-3 yrs old. Since we have decided on sending our kid to some form of stimulation, we just have to pick the best to our believes and try out if it is really suitable for our child.

HP, In fact, i also think they are over-emphasising and doing some sales talk. i dun believe in them 100%, i just go for the technique and decide if i want to continue term after term. So far, L has been enjoying, so, i just continue until such time he lose interest. As for results, i dun have high hopes. As long as i can, i just provide the best to him whenever possible. These are just my personal thots.

Evon,

Serious, they even said dont fault them on their poor language? To me, the minimum is speak proper English leh.. I mean.. I wont fault them if they cant speak proper foreign languages.. was very turned off by that presenter's spoken English..

Think if you are expected to travel frequently in your new job.. then you might want to put this idea on hold first.. unless your hubby doesnt mind attending the classes with XT every week..

For me, it seemd that Amanda is starting to learn things very quickly now and seems like she is very hungry to learn new things nowadays.. so I will just like to learn another method of stimulating her mind..

Hi hunniepot,

ya. ur armanda is so active outside.. very good time for her now to pick up things.

XT so quiet when she starts going outside unless she's tired n she would fuss.

Ya.. the manager really did say that.. anyway, u re right lo.. and so I m holding back on tix for now even though I personally do believe that the techniques would work if given time and money.

At least that guy dares to guarantee... where I am working now, I meet a lot of these products ppl... and everytime gunna whack by me on their stuff becoz I noe the IT technology better.... but if coming to child education... heehee.. I am really a fool lo. So couldn't whack that person except asked a couple of questions.

Hi mommies,

Am wondering if any of you and your hubby set aside dedicated time for couple time each week? Now that Shawn is more older and my pils can manage him better, we are thinking of leaving him at my pils for a while while we go out and pat tor for a while during one the weekend. But I am feeling a little guilty, and not too sure how long we should go off by ourselves. Of course it's up to us, but I would like to know if any of you have couple time on weekend, and for how long?

My hubby and I would usually pick Shawn up by 7 and we will spend all our time with him until his bedtime at 9.30pm. Even so, I feel that our time with him isn't alot, so we want to spend time with him during weekends too. But then again, it would be good for him to develop strong relationships with his grandparents, so that he will get more love and company mah.
happy.gif

Is one saturday afternoon per week too long for us to go away? or is one full day too long??!

tanwawas,

Is it true that shaving the hair off will encourage hair growth? Shawn's hair is v fine but not v thick... am thinking if I should shave it off too. We have never shaved his hair before.

Su,

Couple time? I already cannot remember when is the last time I have a litte couple time with my hb. Once a week is really a luxury. I usually take leave on one of the weekdays and leave Enya with her bbsitter. So that I can go watch movie with my hb. But that is once a month not once a week.

Hi Tracy,

We haven't had official couple time for a year! So it's time to really recharge our relationship...else it's so easy to let the everyday things consume our mind & heart and lives...

Su

Couple time is very impt, unfortunately we've not had official couple time for the past yr. Any time together is simply to run errands, when I'll leave my son at my parents' place for a couple of hours. After the errands are done, we hurry home to pick him up.

Evon,

Maybe I am really very skeptical about what these pple say.. my hubby once bought an insurance plan from a foreign bank.. clear case of mis-selling.. so I went to complain.. and you know what the VP of the bank said: I GUARANTEE you, you will receieve more than 5% on this plan in 21 yrs time.. couldnt believe what I heard and stupid me, should have asked him to write that guarantee down in black and white... cos the next time I asked him about it, he was so fierce, accusing me of putting words in his mouth...

tiffany,

That is what I thought too.. anyway, didnt get hold of the presenter's name as I was late for the class

Couple Time

No such words in my dictionary now.. cos Amanda sleeps at 1 plus am everyday.. and when she does take naps on weekends.. my hubby also wants to sleep..

<font color="ff6000">su</font>
i think couple time is a great idea. it's true that it's a luxury that few of us have these days but i think it's nice to be able to take a little bit of time for ourselves once in a while.

same as tracy, my hb sometimes takes leave on a monday (i work from home, my "off" day is monday when K goes to my MIL) and we go for lunch and watch a movie and maybe have coffee and chit chat. even though it's just 3-4 hours, it's fun and we enjoy ourselves.
happy.gif
i used to feel guilty but i convinced myself that a relaxed parent is a better parent, right?
wink.gif

Hi miu66,

I agree with you - a relaxed parent is a better parent. It's also important and reassuring for the child to see that daddy and mommy makes an effort to spend time tog. Guess, I shouldn't feel guilty if we go away for 3-4 hours.

Actually, most of the time, Shawn is happy exploring the new environment and enjoying the pampering by the grandparents also... and quite oblivious to the fact that we are not around.
happy.gif
(provided we leave him when he's happy, not cranky already!)

<font color="ff6000">spending sometimes w HB</font>

Not really. Just leave at my mothe's house esp when we hv dinner / functions to attend. Other than that. We will go out w bb.

My friend will put her bb in her mom's house every 2 times a week. Is actually quite a good idea too. Cos you can do yr own things or go out with yr HB. Me can't afford tho do that cos parents still working.

Su, at times after work we will sneak off just to have simple dinner or shop for necessary things. For weekends, i will always feel guilty for not able to have time for Isaac. therefore, i try not to do so and also to relieve my PILs from taking care of him. Although they would be more than happy to have him with them over weekends as well. but for me isaac is there mon to fri day time and sun afternoon onwards. so i would prefer my sat to me and my own family
happy.gif

Of coz' u should go ahead and have yr time alone or with your hb so plan it well.. i'm sure you can have yr romantic time with yr hb.

I totally agree with miu66. A relaxed parent is definitely a better parent. And the basis of a happy family is a loving couple. I realised that since the birth of my son, my hb and I have kind of drifted apart cos we simply had no time to be together just the 2 of us. And we sleep with our son between us. We got on each other's nerves frequently. So a bit a couple time shd bond us back together.

When we run errands just the 2 of us, and we hold hands while we walk, it just feels like the pak tor days again, a warm and fuzzy feeling
happy.gif
I especially treasure this time although it's not officially a date.

Su

Well, the old folks swear by shaving bb's head bald to stimulate hair growth when they are one or four months old. I did not do it for my boy when he was that age, so thinking of doing it now.

His hair is sparse and thin, and the hair above his forehead just never grows.... I wonder why.

Mom_yam
I also noted Isaac's hair is a bit like Aiden's. Are u planning to do anything to help his hair grow a bit thicker and faster?

Hunniepot, haahaaa.. if i do sign up, I would ask him to confirm and I would write it down in the black and white in the contract in front of the counter offier.

That's what I did with my aircon servicing agent and for my employment contract as well. To confirm and sign.

My husband always said, ppl who sells their business to me and my siblings not easy money to earn. Haahaaa...

Re: Couple time
It's been a while we have had time for the two of us except night time. Long not caught a movie or just go shopping without XT around. I feel bad if I go and my mom has to take care. My mil can't take care as XT is rather stuck up with us.

The only time we did this year, was to take a Sunday noon time; to look for CNY's clothes with only me and husband while my bb was placed at my mom's place much earlier.

Sad huh?

That's why I think we parents eventually would become a good time manager. Got to squeeze for our child, for our spouse, for our parents, for our work, for ourselves finally.

=p

BTW, working mummies,
how do u squeeze time to go for some personal treats, e.g. facials, weight loss programs, exercising etc?

I can't seem to be able to fully stretch the 24hours with that I need at least 8h of sleep a day. =p

Koalarie

My only exercise regime is to carry my son on a sarong sling to walk across the overhead bridge to NTUC
crazy.gif

No facials/spas whatsoever. I'm thankful for 8hrs of sleep a day.

Tiffany,
me too...nowadays I always take leave with my hb for couple time
happy.gif

Hunniepot, Evon
Every sale talk is lidat one mah...I oso dont believe in 100%. like wht tiffany said, it really depends on your own believe. Since I see Keith enjoyed his 1st lesson. I hope he can continue n benefit from it. Hope he dont waste my $$
happy.gif

ET
Sama sama too.. i very scared XT can't concentrate in class. That's another worries.. remembered the Positive BB class last time.. she was fine eventually but lost attention span somewhere else. =p

So, u did attend the PEC? How would PEC help if the parent is actually attending the class /w bb already? = - p

Didn't ask tix question then since the sales ppl said must attend class with toddlers first then would require to attend PEC.

U noe that PEC is refunable, if the toddler finishes 1 yr course, right? = )

ET/Evon

I had the same fear as both of u. L always sleep during trial classes.. But you will be surprised...

ET.. see for yourself. Keith managed to sit thru the class?? To my surprise.. L can. I think perhaps they are now older and also, the activities are able to capture their attention.

I used to "force" L to nap b4 his class... until i gave up.. I thot chiam liao.. he sure slp in class... BUT BUT BUT... just duno why, he can "Tong" and still enjoy the class. Hmm.... duno isit they are older or really the activities tat interesting lei...

ET,

Not that I didnt believe in the techniques... otherwise I wouldnt contemplate on signing up even after the seminar mah.. I am just not very impressed with their 'packaging' thats all..

Evon,

I've not attended the PEC. will be held on 21 apr...btw, Diana Ser oso sign up leh...same term so I will see her on PEC day
happy.gif
my friend bb same class as her bb. and yes. PEC fees is refundable after completion of 4 terms

Tiffany,
1st lesson, Keith enjoyed very much...he din cry much only at times when the materials are returned to the teacher...ok, I shall update u see how he perform after class this sat
happy.gif

ET...

WOW.. ur fren so lucky.. same class as Diana Ser.. So, ur fren sure can see the marcho hb James la.. kekekeke

PEC
The ballroom is so big that its difficult to bump into each other... When i was there in Jan.. i was just so shocked to see the number of sign ups!!! Few hundreds parents attending it.

Back