(2005/12) Dec 05 mums-to-be

After dinner, rest a while 1st,
bring him for a walk...
else may puke.
happy.gif

Leng Leng,

My son resist sitting on potty and toilet bowl. But during bath time he'll tell us...he wana pee then he really did pee. He always tell us he dun wana wear pampers he wana wear brief like gor gor (who is my 4yo nephew) but then when I let him wear brief, he'll resist. If can engage ppl to potty train my son...I sure will engage lor keke.

Mashy

I'm staying at punggol and my son is currently attending Riverlife Kindergarten at Pasir Ris.

Besides potty train probs my son also got eating probs coz he dun eat he only luv to drink his milk. But teacher feedback that he did eat in school though not alot. If that day he has enrichmt class, his lesson time will be frm 8.15am to 1.15pm. So I'm always afraid that he'll feel hungry.

kwan

maybe u can get underwear with his favourite cartoon characters? My boy loves thomas and mickey mouse. So he loves them. When I first bought them, he was also a bit resistent. But slowly he began to like the idea of underwear and will insist on wearing his underwear instead of diapers. But we still let him wear diapers when we go out & in sch now coz of his poo poo prob.

Wow, still go for enrichment. I didn't let my boy attend any enrichment, coz it's parent accompanied classes. Too tiring for me. My boy also hates eating. But unlike your boy who at least likes to drink milk, my boy doesn't drink milk (or in his case soy milk) anymore. But in sch, he'll eat very well coz i guess those are his favourites.

mashy

Those enrichmt classes are held in the school but from outside schools. Parents are not allowed. The teachers are not from the kindy. My son's form teacher got to ask the enrichmt class teachers to change my son's pampers for him before class starts.

My son luvs quite a number of cartoon characters but he dun like to wear them. Once he ask me to buy eg spiderman pants but when i bgt it n let him wear...he told me no spideman pants. I'm so confuse.

kwan

no wonder the enrichment teachers want him out. Coz not many teachers want to help change diapers.
That's why i had to change my boy's school.

maybe u can try again after a while. sometimes my boy will change his mind after a while. And my hb really helps in this by bringing him to the toilet.

kwan,
when toilet training, don't wear brief yet,
not enough time to remove... hehe...
"engage" hubby to train, h
half the work is done when pee pee is fun.
happy.gif

Leng Leng/Mashy

Last nite hubby brg Zach to the toilet to pee and he did pee inside the toilet bowl using the ikea stool to stand up higher. After he pee I reward him with a happy face sticker. He's so happy, after awhile, he told us he wana pee again but this time no pee...he wana pee jus for the sake of getting the sticker...hopefully he'll continue to pee in the toilet

kwan,
good start!
When toilet training, give him the usual amount of water to drink,
set alarm clock to bring him to pee every 30-45mins.
Once he knows the "urge" feeling, then it'll be smoother.
Be ready for "oops", or "lai bu ji le" for the next 1 month.
happy.gif

Our "lai bu ji le" was like a fire drill,
with mummy or daddy carrying him with 1 hand & ripping his pants off with another,
at the same time running to the toilet!!!

kwan

that's a good start! There'll be more once he knows what he's supposed to do.

My boy went to poo by himself yesterday! He just quietly went to his potty, pulled down his underwear and had his first poo on his potty.
happy.gif
hope there'll be more to come!

mashy/kwan,

dun worry, it takes time and when the child is ready, who knows he may just go to the toilet and do it there. I heard that boys are slower to train than girls. I intro the habit of going to toilet by telling him how wonderful it is to flush the toilet after use, keep broaching on the topic for a few days then one day just ask whether he wants to pee in the toilet just like daddy and then flush the toilet. He likes to flush more than pee so we told him that he could only flush when he pee/poo, otherwise no job for Mr toilet bowl to work on. Another factor could be that my son plays with my nephews once a week, and both of them are older and toilet-trained. Son always says that he wants to be like korkor wear briefs, but I told him can only do so when he knows how to control his bladder. For us, toilet-training takes 2-3weeks before it becomes quite accident-free. for poo, we would "ngggg" him at the toilet bowl with child seat after breakfast to let him get use to a routine. Once he got the routine, and can feel the urge to poopoo, he would tell us. But one problem with him is that he's very fussy with toilet, if we go out to hawker centre/coffeeshop, he die die don't want to use the toilet, so we got to grab him and run to find a clean toilet when he tells us that he want to pee/poo.

Kwan, maybe u can let him wear brief for a short period of training time per day when he's more alert and less cranky. if you keep putting on diaper, he knows that there's diaper so he won't tell u or make it an effort to tell you when he got to urge to pee. Having said that, the first few times sure would be messy and expect accidents, so put him on floor to play instead of bed/sofa.

Good luck in training!

Because of my 6 yrs old son, I have personally spending times exploring 3G Abacus & Traditional Abacus.

After completing the 3G ABACUS instructor course, I have applied the methods to teach my son. It is very simple & easy to understand. As such, he has shown more interest in mathematics than before.

I am planning to let him take part in the INTERNATIONAL Grading Exam this coming DEC 09. If possible, I will let him take part in year 2009 competition.

Currently, I am teaching kids & parents the 3G Abacus.
If you are interested in 3G ABACUS, please email me.

Leng Leng,

very happy. here the kindergarten is more play based so no homework. even the do in class worksheets is no need to finish. next september when he enter grade one (pri 1) than will have more homework. somemore no chinese here in school

Leng Leng,

both boys understand chinese but dont speak. my hubby scared end up speak singlish so only allow them to speak english. but its true, the chinese kids who attend chinese class after school really speak english with chinese accent. here the teacher more fussy with pronunciation so singlish not accepted. no "lah" "ya" that kind, only.

where I stay as kiasu as singapore. the kindergarten level already competing on who read the most story books at home at class level. so all the teachers also nag us to read story books to kids at home and fill up the reading sheet. somemore have to write how many pages the book has. because the competition is based on which class has the most number of pages read.

Rochelle,
Wah... I thought only Singaporean is KS only... hehe...

But won't he have problem if returning to Singapore without known chinese?

Leng Leng,

his teacher is angmoh but hyper kiasu also. everything also will try to win at class level. like if the whole class never late for the whole year, the class gets a prize.

if we come back to singapore, our boys probably can qualify for exemption. hubby is very against NS so unlikely we will return.

Rochelle,
I see... I think his teacher will do very well in singapore... hehehe...

Cool, staying there for good!!!
Sorry which part of US are you at now?

Leng Leng,

yalor. the kindergarten teachers (6 teachers) at his school all very kiasu and all angmoh. actually alot of ang mohs are competitive, just that we usually see them competing in sports and not academics. those angmohs with asian neighbours also become as kiasu as singaporeans.
where we stay asians are more than 50% of the neighbourhood so quite like singapore. I am in silicon valley.

Leng Leng,

plenty of asians from china, india, japan, korea. quite a good mix. both my boys want to learn violin so bought a 1/4 size beginner violin for my 4yr old. now looking for a cheap 1/8 size violin for my 3yr old. got piano at home but they want to try violin.

Rochelle,
so nice, do you get to taste your neighbour's cooking too?
It'll be fun to enjoy all their festivals...

Violin is not easy, to your ears when they just start learning... hehe...

Leng Leng,

christmas is much quieter here than in singapore. the festivals here are also much quieter than orchard road. the shopping centres dont really play festive music. end up the only festival we celebrate is Halloween because our boys get to dress up and collect candies from the shops in the shopping malls.

my hubby was playing on my boy's 1/4 size violin the other day for fun and he played quite well. my dec04 boy wants a flute too and my dec03 boy wants a harp. my house is going to look like a music store when they finally decide on what they like.

someone posted this lovely anonymous poem and I thought I should share

"A child is like a butterfly in the wind.
Some can fly higher than others;
But each one flies the best it can.
Why compare one against the other?
Each one is different.
Each one is special.
Each one is beautiful."

Rochelle,
maybe most will return to hometown for festivals?
How often do you return to singapore?

Nice poem, all kids are special & unique in their own ways.
happy.gif

Leng Leng,

the people here celebrate in more traditional way, not so commercial. more of friends visiting and potluck than buying gifts.

we have not return to singapore since we move there in '05. very costly to fly back and we scared boys misbehave on the plane because its a 16hr flight.

Rochelle,
Nice, very cosy.
happy.gif

Wah... do you miss anything in singapore?
Esp the food, I can ship to you by post... hehehe...
happy.gif

Now there's even chicken rich in boxes at our supermarket.

Leng Leng,

here christmas don't have free gift wrapping. people still do not mind buying gift wrapping paper and do their own gift wrapping. the more traditional ones will give home baked cakes or cookies.

we have Prima Deli here. can also buy those Prima Taste laksa paste, hainanese chicken rice paste here. got frozen durian also. now plenty of mooncakes in the chinese supermarkets. last year bought a made in singapore durian mooncake and it was not bad. Chinese New Year time I buy quite alot of the Glory brand chinese new year snacks.

I only miss the 切片肉干. here don't sell any.

Leng Leng,

Can always DIY the 肉干. its not that hard since I have those built in oven under the stove. Singapore shipping cost is quite high. US is not that low either but the US Postal Service charge lower if its all books/CDs while singapore postal service don't give this kind of discount.

Just bought a big storybook of Thomas the Tank Engine, so now both my boys very happy. they already have some Thomas books but they always want more. As long as they read I happy already.

Rochelle,
Need to BBQ to get that "char" taste, u know... hehe...

Yes, I spree a lot from USA,
many merchants give free domestic shipping,
so sad, shipping is so expensive here...

You can try this webby, www.kidsurplus.com

Leng Leng,

I tend to go factory outlets and get my boys clothes for under $5. sometimes lucky can get quite alot for $3 each. one of the shopping centre with alot of outlet stores just 10mins drive away.
For clothes I prefer to see actual thing. I prefer made in india or bangladesh clothes to made in china. their cotton is softer.

Going to order ritz carlton mooncakes for my in-laws and hubby's granny. hopefully taste nice. not many shops in SG allow me to order online. end up usually order from Emicakes or Noel.

SeptVirgo,

depend on brands and whether your girl is taller than her age or average height. I would buy size 5/6 for tops and size 6 for jeans, pants. for skirts hard to tell size. also if your girl is slim, you might want to choose the slim size. their normal size can be a little wide.

Rochelle,
I see.
happy.gif

Any Old Navy Or GAP outlets near you?

ritz carlton mooncakes should be ok bah,
quite popular in singapore.
happy.gif

Next time I be your "shopper" lah,
I shop & send to your relatives... hehehe...

Leng Leng,

the ritz carlton bing pi (snowskin) mooncakes very nice. most times I order tung lok which are nice also.
old navy and gap outlet less than 10mins drive away.

Rochelle,
here we can get discounts when puchasing from mooncake stalls at exibitions.
happy.gif

We always spree from Old navy & Gap leh,
is it as popular over your side too?

Leng Leng,

I used to every year go to the Takashimaya mooncake festival at the basement two atrium. Go until hubby also go.

ON and Gap are popular here too. but people will check out the children's place sale first for kids clothes

my dec04 teacher complain his reading not fluent and he need to be able to write simple sentences like "I went to the park". luckily his maths pass the test and reading also pass. only writing is a fail.

Rochelle,
hey, do you know you can make your own snowskin mooncake?
happy.gif

Give him more time, as long as he can speak well,
he'll be able to write well soon.
happy.gif

Back