(2005/05) May 2005 Babies

We've just come back from my hometown in selangor near KL. Yasmin had so much fun looking at boats, fishes, and live chicken!

She demanded to see fishing boat unloading and counted shrimps and fish on the floor. She poked on fresh fishballs when her grandma made them. We also fed monkeys

We've put some pic and videos on Danny's blog.
firstdad.blogspot.com

hello caymom
sorry came in to KPO...read tat u are giving bbcay water? Actually bf bb does not need water at all...Chloe did not take water until 6m when we feed her cereal.

I did the same for R too...

Hi Meiling, Celia&Danny

Ya, boys talk later than girls. When my boy wasn't talking at 18 months, we thot he dumb! Coz my girl was jabbering away at that age! But he's okay now, and learning fast too, so we have to watch what we say in front of him. He picks up words really fast!

Cowandchick,

Yes, i agree wif you. My xavier nowadays will say "wow liao" becos he heard the adults said. So he also follows. So headache now. Don't know how to correct him. But I will still tell him not to say that.

Celia & danny,
I also do blog for my kids. hehe..You want mine? Give me yr email address...

Adora,
Yah, I know TBF bb does not need water... I din give cay water too but she ends up hating water. Sigh... you should have seen how I feed her water. The other tods will guai guai drink from their bottle, cay will run away at the sight of the bottle. I have to spoon feed her.
sad.gif

I am worried bbcay will turn out to be the same so I thought of starting her early on water. But then again, she also refuses to drink leh. So far, she only drinks a little bit every 2 days.

caymon
keke funny leh, R loves water...C also. I am trying to intro Barley water (unsweeten) to C earlier as R even now refuse to drink Barley (sweeten).

When R is heaty I duno wat to give, just keep asking him to drink water only.

hi batman,
our email is [email protected]

yes some of you may feel our email add very familiar, yes we are the importer of hallmark babies brand apparel. Sometimes we are at the counters in Robinsons over weekends.

We also watch ourselves not speaking singlish in front of yasmin.

Caymon,

It's ok to spoon feed cay, she is TBF right? so may be that's why she is rejecting the bottle. Yasmin was the same, she would only drink from the bottle when she is absolutely starving! So far she only used the bottle 2 times in 2 years. We also spoon feed her, or you can try feeding cay using a small cup, like those for tasting drinks in supermarket. Just tilt it and touch her lower lips, she'd probably lick up the water like a puppy, it's quite cute. It has the added advantage of not causing nipple confusion.

Celia,
Thanks for your advice. I stopped bfg cay (my 1st daughter) when she was around 13mths old. She hates water, even if we feed her using a cup, she will purposely push the cup to spill the water.
angry.gif
Maybe she is in terrible two stage now so very naughty and rebellious.

I'm now TBF bbcay, my 2nd daughter. She is not that resistant to water compared to jiejie but she will play with the teat before she finally drinks. If the bottle is EBM, she will suck immediately.

Caymom

My boy (bf for 18 months) used to hate plain water too. But when we gave him no choice, he just had to guai guai drink lor! We place many different types of drinking vessels around the house for him, all filled with only plain water!

Previously he only drinks diluted juice. My hb say very siong after a while. I agree. Now, he drinks plain water, except when he sees his older sister drinking juice from a pack, then he'll also want one. We've removed all packet juices from our fridge. Special treat on Sundays at my mum's house!

happy.gif
Mich,
this end of the yr then i'll formally grad.
my boy too! bully his grandmother!!!! though she 'discipline' him but he knows how to act 'pitiful' in front of her.... also my MIL isn't much of a fierce woman... discipling doesn't seem much like discipling....

happy.gif
cowandchick, dsmummy
Leroy's not speaking coherent language as in someting that we would understand. still babbling "paaaa, ah paa, maaaa, ah!, oooo, M... etc..."
lolz.... yeah, i'm so worried what his first words will be other than ball/ba(bus)/book.... his father tends to swear when watching tv... bad habit of being v engrossed in it.. else abt his work! *hai*

happy.gif
pointed upper lips = talkative person???
lolz! then my girl will probably b a talkative one! now at 2.5mths she can coooo at us already! :p

yeah Leroy's really tall... today brought MIL, him and bb out to tampines mall, then 1 of the ladies in a boutique remarked he looked like 4yrs old! *faintz*

happy.gif
celia
my girl still prefers direct latch-on... closer to mummy i guess.... heh... too kanchiong drinking from the bottle everytime...

happy.gif
drinking water
Leroy started out not drinking much water, but now he's like drinking much more water on certain days though sometimes he doesn't drink as much.

Clarice isn't drinking much at the moment but i'm not fretting la. just put bottle to her mouth frequently and if she suckles for abit that's great, if she doesn't that's alright too.

my MIL realised that he loves packet drinks too and hides them in plastic bags so he doesn't find them too easily! when we r out and we drink them, we'll share with him alittle... heee...

happy.gif
help take care of sister??? hmmmm....
celia, when he sayangs her, he gives her a 'muacks!', sometimes he brings her bottle of water and tries to feed her, if she cries and there's no adult around (in the room) he tries to pick her up...

when he kachiaos her, he tends to be somewhat rough and she would cry her lungs out... he would take her bean-sprout pillow away (and even swip at her) or pull at her hands and feet/toes... and he laughs! so we dunno if he's trying to play with her or something else...

his slightly older cousin played with the pillows by throwing them around when we visited so i'm guessing he probably picked that up since he had fun with his cousin then...

Hi Meiling

My boy's first word was "truck" and he said it so beautifully, almost as if he was born with that word in his mouth!
Took a longer while for mama or mummy to appear. Only lately has he started saying "mummy"!

Your course the PGDE? Which subject areas? I used to teach before I quit to become SAHM after my girl was born. That's a good 10 years ago! Am thinking of taking up distance course on special ed. But still thinking about it! So lazy after such a long break! Don't know if my brains still working! heh heh

cowandchick,

i wonder if he will start saying other words... *sigh*
he started calling his aunt "gu-gu" first (my hubby's sis)... heh... then pa and ma... now waiting for "nai-nai" (paternal grandma)

wow Meiling n Cowandchick, u two veri active here.... well done... hmmm lets see how I can come in to your topic. My boi is a talker.... started talking before he turned one. So now can yak yak yak, n singing nonstop. Picking up watever u say and imitate u. Headache.

Sally

It's the imitating part that is rather worrying. Anything also repeat, very scary. So we have to watch whatever we say.... Even got my brother and sister to co-operate here. That boy is like a 'sponge'!

Incidentally, my boy also like Spongebob Squarepants! There goes the brains! Sigh! He looks forward to it every evening, and even wanted me to buy the VCD! No way!

sally, just happen to be able to log on la... hee... see what time i log in? i'm losing my sleep zzzz....

happy.gif
cowandchick, sally
lol..... i dunno when will i have that kind of headache the u 2 mummies have :p

i probably will not mind the singing since i like singing... haaaa...

Sometime back my boy came back with a Spongebob balloon... I almost fainted! i try and switch off the tv or distrach him with other programmes when spongebob is on.. i utterly dread spongebob... but he's fixated when the spongebob short thriller comes on... *sigh* Recently he started to like Dibo the dragon and Dora... nice ones
happy.gif
hope he doesn't stop liking sesame street.... *wish they would show Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on kidscentral again soon...*
happy.gif

today went to Giant@Tampines... waaa... bought pampers for both my kids... wait hubby scold me... cos still have. he says i like to 'stock-up'... :p

Meiling,

Danny went to JB the other day and brought back Mickey Club House dvd for only RM6. It has 2 episode.... Yasmin has since seen the dvd Nth times already and know exactly what is going to happen in any instance... ha ha

celia,
mickeymouse clubhouse is a pretty nice series. it was shown on kidscentral sometimes back. my boy loves it too. too bad it was running for a short while only
sad.gif

not sure what will i expect when he starts talking... probably gonna go on and on and on about his favourite programmes... ha

wish they would show mickey mouse again soon on central.... ahhh... *cross fingers* :p

my hubby going for overseas biz trip for a week from sun nite... *sigh*

Hi mummies,

Here's a chance for us to meet up and set a Guinness World Record together!

The Breastfeeding Mothers' Support Group (BMSG) is organizing this year's World Breastfeeding Week in Aug here is the details:

Please come join the Group in celebrating the World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) 2007 by making history. Be part of the group that will help attempt a Synchronised Breastfeeding Worldwide record where participants from different country will breastfeed at exactly the same LOCAL time in their Time Zone.

Date: 8th August 2007 (Wednesday)

Time: 10 am Singapore time

Venue: MacPherson Community Club

Theatrette

400 Paya Lebar Way

Singapore 379131

Registration fee: $5/family or $2/person (include refreshment & door gifts)

IMPORTANT - PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

1.. Please arrive latest by 9:45am because the breastfeeding has to start at 10am on the dot. No exceptions
2.. We need a minimum of 25 mothers to register as a Guinness World Record site. Please help us make this record in the Guinness World Record Book!
3.. Strictly no pacifiers, bottles, milk or baby foods are allowed inside the Theatrette as it will disqualify us as a record site. If you need to bring them, you have to leave them outside the venue and we are not responsible for any loss.

We hope to see you there! Please pre-register in advance by calling the office at 6337 0508 or email to [email protected]. You can also download the registration form or seek more information from our website at www.breasteeding.org.sg. We have also invited Mrs. Doris Fok, Lactation Consultant, to give a talk and answer questions about breastfeeding.

Hurry up! Sign-up now and give your baby a wonderful present by playing a part in the making of a Guinness World Record.

Hope to see some of you there!

celia,

just wondering if $5 per family, does it mean 2 adults, 2 children? then the mummies would have to go to the theatrette with the baby while the daddy and other child? does it mean there are other programmes planned for that day?

sorry, doesn't seem to be much info on the site...
btw, think a typo ... missed out the 'f' in the hyperlink. www.breastfeeding.org.sg

happy.gif

lolz.... but does it mean we have to 'tweak' bb's feeding times to coincide with 10am??? o_O

my hubby won't b ard so have to convince my mil to look after leroy so i can sneak out for this
happy.gif

Hi,

I guess you won't have to tweak bb's feeding times, they would gladly enjoy one more 'snack'.

We especially encourage mommies who are still breastfeeding older babies to join us, we want to show mommies that it is possible to feed babies beyond 6 months. You'll see quite a few BMSG counselors still breastfeeding their 1.5, 2yr old even 5 yr old.

Hello mummies!! I've got a pair of twin boys born in May'05 too..

Sally, not bad ar.. start own thread.. haha!! You swimming this weekend? Me most prob on Sunday coz hb off..

My niece kana HFMD, aiyo.. then my mum as usual, scare me again.. Say swimming pool kana "germs" the fastest..

But we promise Isaac & Ian regarding this Sundays' swimming session already.. They're looking forward i guess.. Whole day keep saying: go swimming, go swimming.. buay tahan!

& WOW!! alot mummies here still bf.. Really salute to all of you. I wanted to bf for long.. But somehow bb couldn't latch as they were premature.. & sometimes I "missed" pumping.. So supply decrease very fast.. Hai* Only managed to provide bf for 1mth++..

Hi Kel
good to see u here....... not sure lei if going this sunday. Sunday crowded cos got a few swimming lessons going on. I sms u if I go.
HFMD is a big headache, everywhere also kanna. U tell yr mom, anywhere, anytime also can kanna lah, unless confine them at home. kekeke My boi same lah, keep chanting nonstop too to go swimming.

hi, is it very impt to use non-fluoride toothpaste for our kids? My ds still eat the toothpaste (from kodomo and it contains active fluoride). What is the consequence of eating the toothpaste?

hi, is it very impt to use non-fluoride toothpaste for our kids? My ds still eat the toothpaste (from kodomo and it contains active fluoride). What is the consequence of eating the toothpaste?

celia,

my boy started chewing on my breasts when he started to teeth from his 4th month.... socouldn't continue breastfeeding.... i wonder how other mummies can do that?
happy.gif

Hi Meiling,

Babies can be trained not to bite on the breast. Whenever he bite, just unlatch him and tell him that if he bite, he won't get the goodies! After a while they can learn by themselves that they should bite on the breast.

My DD used to do that too, but using the method above, she learnt not to bite. A lot of mommies stopped direct breastfeeding and express and feed only, but this will lessen the stimulation and may reduce milk supply and also it lost your breasts' ability to help your child to fight flu/disease. Some stop altogether, which is a pity, because breastfeeding shouldn't be painful.

oooohhhh.... icic
happy.gif

will try that with clarice when she starts teething.... >_< hee... hopefully it works cos it seems like she only like BM

thanks for the tip celia!
happy.gif

gemini,
not sure le, nobody in the childcare got it. Also not sure where he caught it.
haiz, my elder son yterday also high fever. headache la, 2 kids got sick and they can't stay together. so my elder son has to go to my mum's place and stay. no choice, today has to apply leave.

HFM
any idea wat food can't eat? First time seeing this. Really dun know wat to do.

dun worry too much.
happy.gif
they'll definitely get better
just that we have to go through some worrying times

HFMD not too sure leh... but i guess avoid highly toxic seafood, so won't be tempted to scratch. just make sure have lots of fluids. it always helps
happy.gif

my ds got HFMD when he was abt 6 mths due to "playing" with the car rides outside to the coffee shop at my mum's place.

Basically when kids had HFMD, their mouth and throats will have sores hence they might not want to eat as it hurts to swallow, they might get cranky depending on the seriousness of the HFMD. Like wat Meiling suggest, give them plently of fluids, maybe give porridge or more milk if they can't chew properly.

Batman,

If both of them has HFMD then they are alright to stay together right?

When DD got HFMD we didn't even know it was HFMD because she doesn't go to nursery. She may have got it on public transport, that's the only thing we could think of.

Actually I got it first, then DD, finally DH. There was no spots on hands or feet, but only sores in the mouth. DD got the lightest probably because of TBF. Me and DH was the worst, It hurt even when we drank water. DD nursed all the time, since she feels hurt when eating.

We cooked lots of cooling brews, like water chestnut, carrots drink. It took us 2 weeks to recover. DD got well within days.

Unknowingly before we found out we had it, we passed it on to our friends whole family when they come visit...

My younger son has recovered liao, I looked at his upper gum and no more ulcer. Appetite also better. At nite can sleep better.

My elder son yterday confirmed HFMD. So he has to come home liao. can't go to my mum's hse. Now it's his turn to be cranky at nite..

batman,

can ask how did u know it's HFMD? what are the symptoms of it? i only know may have sores in the palms of the hands or base of the foot, ese its ulcers in the mouth.... am i right?

how's ur elder boy so far? hope all's going well

meiling,

First my son is having fever abt 2 to 3 days, then the blisters on the hands, arms, elbow and foot start to appear. So I will bring him to see doc to double confirm.

Sigh! They went back to school yesterday liao. But this morning teacher called me again on my younger son, he's having fever again. I'm so scare them having fever becos my hb not allowed me to feed them fever med. He said I'm doing this, is harmful to them. He doesn't even allowed me to sponge them. He has a very weird thinking. He said their body will fight against the virus itself. So if I feed them med to bring down the fever, which means I'm actually bringing down their immunity system.

the thread has been really quiet eh.... wondering if any mummies have gone to the taka bb fair
happy.gif

my boy recently showing all sorts of funny things like lying on the floor when throwing tantrums.............. sigh......then cos i know he is seeking attention from his granny (my mil) then i tell my mil ignore him and go sit on the sofa, then he got up and while still wailing.... ran to the grandma and threw himself into her arms........ *faint*

happy.gif
batman,
mayb cos when ur hubby was younger and he had fever but never took fever med so that's y he believed in it???
happy.gif
my hubby when he was in ns got high fever, then ended up in hospital. heard from him that he was given a cold bath to bring down the fever. i rem when Leroy had high fever, he suggested dousing him with cold water, then i said no, children only hor. dun anyhow playplay... heh...

Hi Meiling,

When dd had high fever the first time, we paniced and called our pd's emergency number at night.... He only advised us to sponge bath her with luak warm water on the both sides of the neck, under the armpits, and on both sides of the inner thigh to slowly cool down the body and it really worked. Never use cold water because the body would contract to fight against the sudden cold and produce more heat. Cold bath is only used in extreme cases like continued high fever.

Hi Mummies,
Is it true that children having cough/phlegm cannot eat fish? I only heard chicken cannot eat. But my MIL said cannot eat fish as it will cause more phlegm. My girl don't really eat meat.

Hi Jenny,

Yes there is a saying like that... last time me and dd had flu and cough, we visited a TCM Doctor in AMK Hub. She told me not to fish for a while saying that fishy food is not good for recovery... Chicken is heaty so should stay away from too. The best is Pork which is mild and neutral. You can try steam minced pork patty. or soup noodles with minced pork for a few days..

hello mummies
my son is a may 2005 baby too. i din realise there was a may05 thread. anyways, my son, jared, now 2yrs6mths, is on a milk strike for the past 5 days. i'm worried that he may have weaned himself off milk. gasp! want to check with you mummies if your may kids are still taking FM? or fresh milk? he's gone on milk strikes b4 but this time it's qt serious. he has been refusing all 3 milk feeds from the bottle for all of the 5 days totally. it's freaking me out. help!...

ValC,
Welcome to the thread.
happy.gif
This thread is not as active to the neighbouring threads. My gal is also a May05 baby. She doesn't drink much milk since she was a baby and she is also drinking less lately. I also hope she can drink more because she is not taking much solids either. Is your son taking more solids to compensate for the lesser milk?

Back