(2005/05) May 2005 Babies

sallyngsj

kao_welcome.gif

Hello Mommies, starting this thread to get to know mommies who have tods of the same age....... Hope to learn more from all of u.

I am a SAHM with one boy of 20months, borned in May 05. Staying in AMK.

Anyone out there with May 05 babies???
kao_smile.gif

Hi Sally, my girl borned on 17th. Mine also in TMC. MIL will look after my girl. Will bring her back on Friday evening and Sunday night bring her to MIL. But everyday after work, my hubby and i will go there to play with her.

wow u very good, got MIL to help... my MIL dun wan lei... so no choice got to quit my job n become SAHM... really miss working life.......

Yup currently he is in montessori playgroup.... started last dec. two hours daily mon to fri.... taking school bus to n fro himself. My hubby still not keen to send to CC lei, said he too young... sigh.... looking for a kindy for him maybe next year... but if no 2 comes along, might need to send him to cc lor cos I cant cope alone as hubby always travelling.... now planning for no 2, will start after CNY.... u planning?

never thought of it having no 2. Will you plan to have maid if no 2 comes along as your hubby always travel? Are you staying with your IL?

never thought of it having no. 2. Maybe one enough. Will see how. Will you plan to have maid if no. 2 comes along as your hubby always travel?

<font color="ff0000">Jenny,</font>
Thanks. I am carrying my second gal, due in May. So both my gals will be exactly 2 years apart.
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">San,</font>
Happy 20mths old to D!
happy.gif

Caymom,
Thanks! Btw, think i must be dreaming. She reach 20mths yesterday not today. keke. I tot today is Monday.

Jenny, maid not our option lei cos both of us not keen for maid, rather put boy in childcare lor. Nope not staying with MIL. She scared we ask her to look after mah, n tied her up... she very modern kind, can go count down till 3am, alot of activities. FIL not around, passed away more than 10 yrs ago, so MIL got all the freedom. heehee. That is why I scare I cant cope if no 2 comes along, but son very lonely lei. Feel it is time to have another one.... in a dilemma.

Wow caymon, big congratulations to u.... so lucky to have both in May.... can celebrate birthdays together...... so good....... u have maid or IL to help u look after?

San, so now your gal 20m....... u wan no 2? U SAHM or FTWM?

Sally,
Thanks. Just a coincidence that both will be May babies. My mom is helping me take care of my gal currently and she will help with the second baby as well. Maid is not within our options because my mil is very against it. We also feel that it is hard to find a trustworthy and hardworking maid these days.

The choice in having #2 is really not easy. For us, we wanted a age gap of at least 2 years. We also feel that my gal will be lonely especially when she is the only grandchild at the moment. She is getting pampered and spoilt and we believe having a sibling will help to instil the sense of responsibilty and sharing in her.

With regards to whether we can cope, we believe that it can be worked out eventually.

Being a SAHM can be very fulfilling as you get to witness the development of your boy.
happy.gif
I always admire SAHM because I can never be one. I cannot stand staying at home the whole day.

Any comments on Montessori playgroup? My gal is not attending playgroup. I only intend to send her for pre-nursary next year.

caymom, sori got the spelling wrong earlier in yr nick.....
kao_blush.gif
pai sei

Yr mom very good, can cope with two. My mom wan to look after but we not dare to let her cos very taxing for her though she has a maid, as she has my dad who is a dialysis patient, n my sis' two kids. N she cant handle my boy, she said my boy too shiong to look after cos he too hyper active.

I find that montessori playgroup not bad, cos train him to be independent n can see the difference but u must choose a proper one, go for the trial n see for yourself. My plan is to put him in montessori for this year to train him up, to be more independent then put him in kindergarten next year for pre-nursery. Where u stay? I stay in AMK but no good montessori in my area, hence I let him go to the one in Sin Ming where he takes school bus. It is small which I like so the attention is there.

Sally,
It's ok lah, I didn't even notice you got the spelling wrong.
happy.gif

My mom doesn't have other grandchildren at the moment so she has a lot of time. Although she also complains that my gal is hyperactive but I believe she desires her companionship as well.

I am staying in Punggol. Not sure whether there are any montessori around, probably in SK area instead. I agree that part about independence but kinda feel kelian for her to start school at such a tender age.

Sally,
No plans yet for a 2nd one. Still dilemma. I am a FTWM. Can't afford to be a SAHM. But even can, like caymom, I will not like to be one unless i got maid etc to help me take care of my gal. I think i can go crazy staying a home wz her alone everyday. So at this moment, my mum is taking care of her.

How do you find Montessori? I found 1 near my bro's house where my mum stay wz him. Not sure good or not but no other choice for me given the time etc. It is those below HDB blk where they utilise the RC compound. Unlike Apple Tree which is island wide, they only have 1 n only 1 in s'pore at Hougang. However, they only be able to accept her maybe in March cos' their criteria is from 2 yrs old. She can do it slightly earlier for me. This is not a daily class but twice a week for 1.5hrs during wkday nite. I will be able to bring her there after work cos' at least she can be away from the house not disturbing my nieces to revise their work in the nite for at least 2 times a week. I had viewed the place and they show me all their special toys and i really wonder will my gal sit on the mat and play by herself.

caymom, ponggol that area not very sure.... but i heard that there is this shenkanah montessori sth like that, sori dun noe the spelling, not bad. think in sengkang which might be nearest for u. u go check out n see.

At first i also feel kelian, but he really bores at home facing me 24 hours a day n dun like him watch too much TV so playgroup lor. N I m glad he enjoys it, can cry when going home time cos he is having so much fun. He can even tell the bus uncle, "no go home, go kai kai". sigh. When reach home, at times, he clings to the bus auntie so hard n says "no" to me when I wan to carry him downstairs my house. Buay tahan. N I m also pleased that he has picked up quite a number of things from school, knowledge like days of the week, one to ten, etc. He is also trying to speak in sentence n just starts last week saying 3 syllabus words. He eats also not so messy. N he can cut into small pieces if too big, before putting into his mouth. So I m pleased, but one thing sad is the virus lor. He kanna from other kid, so down with fever n flu now, staying home this week. But I guess cant be avoided lor.

San, aiya I also wan to go work, but no choice cos no helper, n dun wan maid, n my hubby said very pity to put infant care, so I have to quit n become SAHM. The days of SAHM driving me crazy lei, esp when he is sick. Super cranky.

Guess I have explained in the above for Montessori. Montessori is good for them to start in the early stage cos teaches them to be independent. But I understand that some centres r not doing much. So must check n see.

Hi,
My 3 kids are aged 6(K2), 4(N2) and 20mths. Of course I can't cope alone. I do have a maid to help out with the housework else I won't have time with my kids! Both my parents and ILs can't help me so I've got to give up my job. I think the most important thing is when your child is older, let them know their daily routine. It helps alot and frees you some individual time as well.
Sally, you are a more dedicated mum than me. I was still working and left my older ones with my maid's and mum's care then. Only quit when my third one was on her way.
Congrats to caymom!! 2 years gap is just right. You will notice that your 2nd one will pick things up fast while you are teaching your older one! Yours is the 5th girl that I know that's arriving this year!

leen, me not dedicated lah. Cos no helper so no choice lor.

Can give me tips on potty train? Dun noe how to train my naughty boy...... any mommy here start already??

Leen,
Thanks. Seems like this year will have a lot of piggy girls.
happy.gif

Your kids have nice age gap. You planned it that way? How many girls and boys do you have? Did you intend to have 3 kids right from the start?

My hb will love to have 3 kids but I don't think I have the courage to go through another pregnancy.
lame.gif

Sally,
I tried to potty train but my girl is a clean freak. She is very scared of dirtying the potty. There was once she couldn't control and poo in the potty. She quickly stood up and made a whole mess.
uhoh.gif

Sally,
Don't rush to get her potty trained. Does he know how to talk yet? It will be easier if he can tell you what has happened, like I've pooed or it's wet. For my two older ones, I started them when they are about 2 yrs. It took me about 3 weeks to get them off diaper in the day and night. My boy took a longer time(3+ week) as he needed to learn to urine standing up and passing motion - sitting down. My experience to share you : (1) Get your child to like the potty and to understand that toilet is the place to do business and into the potty. For my boy, I got him to pee on the toilet floor standing. Let them sit in the potty for a while, even they have nothing to clear. (2) Bring them to toilet about 45min to 1hr after they have consumed liquid each time. (3) Must be consistent in what you do and always encourage them. (4) Remember to bring them to clear bladder before nap and night sleep. (5) Try to get them not wear diapers at home.. but prepared to do alot of cleaning.. you may want to use traing pants instead (6) For night training, I woke up in the middle of the nights to bring the kids to toilet. It's not easy. I usually whispered to them that "mummy is bringing you to toilet" and then I carried them to the toilet. Of course they will not be happy at first but after a few nights, even if you forget, they will fidget in middle of the night and you will know that they need to go toilet. After a few more nights, everything will be smoother. It takes a lot of patience but just don't rush if the child is not ready. Hope this helps..

Caymon,
My oldest is a boy followed by 2 girls. Yes, we planned to have 3 right from the start, though we didn't plan the timing... ;) Girls are easier to handle than boys.. If I had 2 boys, I think I would have surrendered! haha..

Leen,
That is a nice combi. I believe that gals require companionship more than girls. At least I am glad I have my younger sister as a companion, or else I will be so bored with my two brothers. My two brothers aren't close but me and my sis remained very close even though we used to quarrel all the time.

Coming from a big family, I also hope that my daughter will have sibligs as company. However, it is so hard to maintain a big family these days. Now that I am going to be a mother a two, I am beginning to understand why people chose to stop at one. It is indeed tough both financially and mentally. There is so much to consider for the kids these days. Unlike in the past, my parents just made sure I have enough to eat and wear.

Thanks for sharing on potty training. My gal surprised me today but sitting on her potty willingly but she used it as a hat the next moment. I guess she has yet to understand that the potty is meant for her pee and poo. But she has learnt to tell my mom that her diaper is wet these days. She wears cloth nappies at my mom's place so she can tell that she is wet the moment she pee. My mom also let her wear training pants.

But like you, my mom also believe that there is no need to rush into potty training. I just leave it to my mom because I also dunno how to go about doing it.
lame.gif

Leen, thanks for the info. My boy is super naughty. Ya he can tell me when he wan to shit but refused to use the potty or toilet bowl, though he noes that both are used to pee n poo. He can sit there in his potty with his diaper. But the minute I remove his diaper, he runs away. If not, he sits there on the potty n once the shit comes out, he stands up n creates a mess cos playing with the shit.... NIGHTMARE for me
angry.gif
. Or he can shit in the potty then he got up n ran out to the hall n pee in the living room. N started to laugh. Me of course like crazy woman shouting n yelling behind him while chasing him to the hall but too late to catch him. Sigh. He can tell me when his diaper heavy n he wants to change. When I put him on training pants, he can pee half not fully n tell me "wet" n ask me to "change". He can speak clearly. Of course I dun noe he is trying to trick me. So I change to new training pants, then the minute I turn he pees again, n tell me wet to change. Me crazy with all his mischief whenever I wan to potty train. My neighbour who has two big kids said he is ready to potty train cos he can tell me when he wan to shit n when his diaper is heavy n wet. But he just refuses to co-operate with me. He noes when to shit n urine but he just wont do it properly. When he stands n pees, he will play with his urine. This drives me nuts cos his hands will be splashing his urine all over the toilet when he pees. So how to potty train???
kao_frustrated.gif
Dun noe wat to do with him.

Caymom, yes I agree with u that these days not easy to have more than one kid. My parents also said. Not easy to handle kids these days besides the financial side. Kids these days are alot more active n hyper n more clever than last time. My mom has six of us, n she said so easy to bring us up cos last time we gong gong, just eat n sleep n watch TV. But nowadays the kids are different. Very active, shiong to look after. N not easy to handle the financial side too. So headache. We would like to have 3 kids, but dun noe how to cope since I no helper, n maid not in our option, n hubby not around most of the times. We r still thinking to have no 2 or not........
kao_confused2.gif
We will decide after CNY. heehee

Sally,
Your boy is indeed very mischievous. Sorry, can't help laughing when I read how he sabo you.
lol.gif

It's already tough with one kid when your hb is not around most of the time. I cannot imagine handling my gal alone day and night.

caymom, i also dun noe how I gone thru.... initially after confinement mth, i was crying so much cos so stressful n being first time mum, dun noe how to handle + breastfeeding..... then slowly got used to it....... but really exhausted as no rest at all. Lucky got my neighbour to help at times when I am up to my nerves....... I ask her to help while I eat or shower. She is very helpful n even help me with my marketing initially when bb is small. So i guess very impt to have good neighbours.

Remember once my boy climbed out of the baby cot fell n bleeding his mouth plus a big hump of his forehead. I was helpless, just carry him n dash out of the house shouting for help. She came out with her hubby, n help me out. Lucky she is home. If not, I wont know wat to do. She guided me alot since she is also SAHM with two big boys liao. I m blessed to have neighbour like her.

Sally,
You are so blessed to have a good neighbour. I am not as lucky as you. My neighbours keep to themselves. Even if we bump into each other along the corridor, they won't even smile at us even though we always smile at them. Now they will smile back but still not very friendly. One of my neighbours have young kids but they are very unfriendly also. When my gal wanted to play with them, they ran back into their house and slam the door. I feel rather sad for my gal.

Perhaps that is the problem with new estates where the flats are built to give more privacy to residents. I am considering moving nearer to parents but I like the peace and quiet of Punggol. Maybe we will move when my two girls are entering primary school.

Hi Sally and Caymon,
Wow, you ladies are fast in replying! I was reading about sally's msg and find your son amusing. He really know how to take advantage of you.As I said earlier, my boy is also the one out of my 3 who needs a lot of nagging and disciplining. Dun worry, he will get over this stage.
happy.gif
I agree that the kids now are a lot more challenging.

Having a good neighbour is important. My neighbour has a 2 yr old daughter who loves to come over to my place. She is quite lonely at home and longed to have playmates. My children love to play with her too. We just had a bbq last december so that our kids can play together while we chitchat. I do feel bored at times. This maid is extremely quiet.. only answer yes or no.. So, when my kids are out to school, I would usually go out too. It's difficult to find many SAHM amongst my neighbours. There are many grandmothers and maids at the playgrounds though.

Yup Leen, agreed..... now hard to find SAHM nearby.... onli maids n grandparents mainly. Where do u usu go when your kids go to school? U bring along the youngest? Me go anywhere also must tag him along. Now he goes to playgroup for 2hours in the morning daily, so it is a breeze not to bring him along for marketing cos if not, he will keep screaming, dun let me see things n choose the vege properly. heehee

Yup Leen, agreed..... now hard to find SAHM nearby.... onli maids n grandparents mainly. Where do u usu go when your kids go to school? U bring along the youngest? Me go anywhere also must tag him along. Now he goes to playgroup for 2hours in the morning daily, so it is a breeze not to bring him along for marketing cos if not, he will keep screaming, dun let me see things n choose the vege properly. heehee

Sally, I usually go marketing, shopping at nearby shopping malls, yoga, gym... sometimes alone sometimes with the little one. But if I've alot of stuff to buy, then my maid will go along. I'm now looking for a once-a-week parent&amp;toddler playgroup, preferably in the morning on weekdays. My girl saw the startots playgroup near my flat this morning and wanted to join in but I don't think I want her attend class alone this year.

wow Leen, u can have so many activities........ hmmm so nice to have a maid as extra helper. Me tired to accompany my boy for his classes liao, hence I changed him to daily playgroup, so I got the break time. heehee..... Since he 6mths, I brought him to all sorts of classes, so tired liao.

Sally, I was like you when I had my first boy. But now since this is third, I am not so diligent.. haha.. anyway she has picked up a lot of vocab from her siblings, so I am not too worried. It's good that your boy is happy to go to school..montessori program is quite good to start at young age. Too bad, my older kids' centre doesn't have any playgroup. They are also doing montessori.. I like it 'cos the kids learn at their own pace..
It really make a lot of difference to have an extra helper in the house. Yes, there's not so much of privacy but we don't get too burdened with kids and housework. Why don't you consider putting him in childcare?

Leen, which montessori your older kids in? Ware u stay? Since I m SAHM, hubby n I not keen to put him in CC, said he too young. But maybe if no 2 comes along, then he has got no choice but to go cc liao as I cant cope with 2 alone. Agreed the younger ones tend to pick up things faster from the first one.

Leen,
It is indeed amazing that you can have so many activities despite being a mother of three. I am so envious of you. If my hb can afford it, I also don't mind staying at home with a maid to look after the kids.... as long as not me alone facing the kids the whole day.
lol.gif

Just curious, may I know what is so special about Montessori?

Caymom,
So envy of leen right? Me same like you leh. If got maid to help out, i dun mind be SAHM. I very scared to take care alone. So now i seldom take leave if not got to be at home look after her. hahaha.

Caymom, Montessori method, they will let the kids learn at their own pace and not learn in group. The teacher will guide them individually. They have their own toys and they will let the child explore themselves. Montessori believe in Sensorial alot. They like to let the child touch and feel. I only know abit lah. This is what i learn when i visit the montessori school. But not all pple like Montessori method way of teaching.

I live in Woodlands. I was apprehensive at first if montessori is really good 'cos heard about some negative remarks before, like the child won't adapt to primary school classroom teaching, the child is individualistic etc... So far, my kids have been doing ok and enjoying themselves. That's more important than anything else!
Caymon, Montessori is just a method of teaching. I don't know how other montessori school works but it should be similar.. Just to cut the story short.. it is not the traditional classroom whereby a teacher teaches to a classroom of say, 15 pupils the same concept at the same time. Instead, the kids are divided into smaller group whereby teacher can closely monitor and help each child, be it motor skills or academic skills.. Hence, if your child is ahead of peers, he will just move on. If the kids are doing fine-motor skills activities, they can choose what they want, but they are to do the activity on a mat, within the child's boundary and kids are not allowed to disturb others. Does it sound antisocial?? haha.. That's what I thought but then my kids are still quite sociable.

You all don't envy me. Actually I prefer to work if I have a choice. I prefer to be financially independent! I don't think I can face the kids 24 hr too. It's boring so I've got to find some activities. My hubby was the one who insisted on having the helper 'cos he knows that I will definitely not be able to cope with 3, and I have been relying on a maid for the past few years. So we've got to be more thrifty. By the way, did any one of you tried the Glenn Doman's method (using flashcards) on your child? I've been trying but this girl doesn't seem to be able to sit still and learn.. sigh...

sigh.. my little girl has mumps. Thought kids are prevented from that 'cos of MMR jab but PD said not 100%.. some people will still have a mild one.. it's called modified mumps. what a term!

Back