(2005/01) Jan 2005 Mom-To-Be

Catz & BabyD,
Ya ya...I love Hedgren. Light & nice...functional too.
happy.gif

The next time you visit the departmental stores, you should check it out.

Catz,
LeSportsac is a bit loud and colourful for me, leh.

Piggy,
Now you all know how brandless and suaku I am, never heard of Hedgren either! Dept store got this brand, meh? I looked up the website, mostly casual and travel bags, very practical looking. Nice! Expensive or not?

BabyD,
Got.. Most stores can find this brand. I bought a POP MART LADY HPML 03 from Takashimaya at less than $100. I think ok la.

Piggy,
Nice!! I like that range, less than $100 is not bad. When I looked at the catalogue, HPML 04 and 09 caught my eye and I remember thinking I wouldn't mind having one of those in my cupboard!

BabyD,
I very terrible...so tempted to buy both colours!! I bought it during the Taka extra 10% off, so I guess you got to look out for such sales if you have the membership. I tell you...one more brand I really love is Radley. Aiyo....I want to buy the whole collection. So nice..... You can see from:
www.radleylondon.com
But hor, quite pricey lor so I stop myself. Anyway, I love bags la...so tell me hubby, I never buy any watches + jewellery, so bags considered cheap la. $1000 can buy 10!! hahaha...

Piggy,
Radley has such cute bags in such happy colours! I vaguely recall the doggie tag branding. But somehow I really don't remember seeing Hedgren or paying attention to Radley in Tangs or Isetan. Got meh? I never shop @Taka, maybe that's why. Haha... my hubby must have got the best deal then, yours truly here doesn't normally buy watch + jewellery + bags + electronics & only occassionally buy cheap shoes + clothes because those are essentials. I think the only thing I consider as guiltless splurging is my Clarins skin care pdts, but then those are also considered essentials right?

I'm now busy planning Sherilyn's birthday. No more baking and shaping transformers this time. She gave me a bigger challenge: "I want Barney, Elmo, McDonald Farm cake!" There's no such cake on the market, but Sherilyn loves strawberries. So mummy dearest is learning how to colour and pipe chocolate into all those favourite characters to stick into her strawberry cake, hoping that the sight of all those red lucious strawberries will distract her into forgetting her bold request, should the chocolate project fail. =P Just confirmed the dinner catering with fostre, hope they're decent.

Piggy,
If I had to buy a Radley, it would either be Alcester or Malmesbury. Looks cute and love the organized interior with lots of compartments!

Think my hubby is going to say that you girls are bad influence. Radley more pricey, right?

Radley is nice! Very practical and the leather is really light too.. light colours do show up scratches though. Have not seen Hedgren except in magazines cos I seldom go to Taka these days. My go-to mall is ION. Heh.. been there twice this week already.

Lesportsac is great for sporty outings lah.. not my cup of tea except for it's sheer practicality.

Wow, Sherilyn's bday sounds like a big bash too
happy.gif
Fun!

BabyD,
Yes...we are terrible influence!!
I reckon that life is too short. We are working women and sometimes we need to pamper ourselves for being worker, mum, wife, boss at home, etc, etc...As long as it's not "burning" a hole or spending on credit, it should be OK. Radley is definately at Isetan. Tangs, I'm not sure.
happy.gif

By the way, SKII is very nice lei. Prefer their "miracle water" compared to Clarins, which I find too oily.
You must take lots of photos recording the process of making her cake. When she grows up, you can show it to her!!

Catz,
Radley nice hor. Too ex though. Waaaa... You lucky girl...ION's stuff too ex for normal pampering for me. keke....

Piggy, no lah.. I went to Browhaus for eyebrow threading and lash perm.. not too pricey. And plus I love that there's Uniqlo and Muji there too.

SKII makes me break out, unfortunately. Clarins never worked for me.. and besides, I think Asian skincare brands work best for Asian skin. Luckily I get staff discount on TDF which I'm using and so far works well for my oily skin. Anti-aging stuff makes me break out in zits! Sigh.. looks like I will have wrinkles :p

wah...really bring back memories about shopping in Spore. Ok, I have no clue about these brands then I went to visit the site. I realised I actually bought 2 of this Hedgren bags in Isetan Scotts in 2005. I saw the brand tag & I thot they were familiar so went to check one of the bag in the wardrobe to confirm. Aiyo, they are the best lah... The designs not there anymore but are similar to the HSD Shaped 06 in terms of size in navy blue silky material. Used to carry them wherever I go before Marcus comes along then ever since I have to go out with my boys, I stopped using it coz can't fit lots of the boys' stuff, then have to switched to big bags...sigh. 5 years liao, still as good as new, it is now hanging in the wardrobe. The other one is the leather cross body bag, looked similar to HIC#03. But again, can't fit water bottle, then have to stop using, now still pack in the Toyogo plastic box. Can't decide which one to buy, so bought 2 bags...haha... but then they looked more sporty than the usual workbags.

I like their leather bags HPM. Looks good & practical but really, the cloth material is so easy to maintain, just wipe.

And the Radley bags, very swee & super sweet, very dainty. Remind me of those Japanese office girls who wear matching pastel office suits and carrying matching bags. I like the colour and design but some designs are too sweet/ cute for me. I think next time, I can buy one of the bags for my mum, the Farnham Blue. And I like the touch especially the details & the inner linings.

When I was still working, I think the most ex thing I would pamper myself with is the SKII miracle water where my friend can get a 30% discount. But then not sustainable, coz got so many other accompanying skincare items to buy so sometimes switch to bodyshop (but the quality was so so and the new packaging gets smaller) or Loreal. Then after moving here, found out that there are some good ones from the local producers i.e. Jurlique (heard tt they were cheaper than in Spore) and Natio. Both are plant based products but you save more using Natio - simple packaging & no advertising. The Jurlique products are very nice & gentle, the scent is strong. The facial wash & mist are good (like SKII) but the moisturier is not enough for my skin type. Apparently, they are located at the Adelaide hills and the products are made from the plant extracts from their organic farm & using biodynamic farming methods. Overall, i think skincare and facial products are cheaper here with good quality & more options.

BTW, they are also having this Rundle Mall (aka Orchard Road) sales now & their campaign is Uniquely Adelaide. hmm. not so unique afterall, Singapore tourism already used this "Uniquely Singapore" for quite some time liao.

Tetra, now you know you have 2 Hedgrens! Thanks to Piggy
happy.gif

Jurlique is pricey here leh.. though it would be definitely cheaper in Oz since that's the country of origin? You've got a lot more 'natural' options over in Australia.. although I must say that Singapore is really catching up in terms of the items we can get nowadays with Sephora etc.

Piggy & Tetra,
SKII really v expensive leh, couldn't bear to buy, also felt it's not sustainable. Clarins got miracle water meh? Their essence ok lah. Actually I've been a Shiseido user for 10yrs becos of my mum. Switched to Clarins 2 yrs ago, but I may actually switch back to Shiseido after finishing my current stash. Agree with Catz that asian skincare pdts somehow works better. The make up colours for Clarins really cannot make it for my v tanned skin.

Catz,
I went to Uniqlo in Korea and was soooo upset that I couldn't try anything because Sherilyn fell asleep on my shoulder. It's so much cheaper than SG (20-30% less). In the end, couldn't tahan, I bought without trying, but everything fits. Told MIL to go try a 3/4 pants there & buy for her, only SGD$15! Would have definitely bought more if I didn't have a sleeping babe. I also never shop at Ion normally, always buy nothing. I v auntie, Tangs, Robinsons & Isetan good enuf.

BabyD, Shiseido is good.. but I still find it pricey.. skincare appeals to the vanity in all women so they always price it so exorbitantly. I'm too cheap to splurge on anti-aging since every single anti-aging product makes me break out
happy.gif

Aiyoh you never bring pram ah? Thought Uniqlo in Singapore was super cheap already.. didn't know Korea was even cheaper!

BabyD,
I know SK II is ex but one big bottle last me more than a year. I don't sign up for any facial so I thought, huh...what the heck!! :p
Tell you what, if you haven't try before, the next time you pass a SKII booth in the dept store, ask for a sample of the miracle water & the cleanser. Try it!! I'm sure we are being badder influence here. kekeke

Tetra,
Don't know about Jurlique & Natio. My skin is the dry dry type. I hate the oily moisturiser...I used to use Simple brand light moisturiser but even that, I hated the feel. So now with SKII, though it stinks, it does its job.

Catz,
I like Muji too. The colours are so earthy, which I like.
happy.gif

Piggy, SKII either works miracles or it doesn't work at all
sad.gif
Those people it works for though, have super gorgeous clear skin. Your skin is super clear too.. so envious.

Muji - I buy the organising stuff, not clothes. Teehee..

Piggy,
Both you and Catz are definitely bad bad influence... asking me to buy SKII, as if I haven't spent enuf $$ this month! SKII stinks meh? I agree with Catz that you have super gorgeous clear skin!

My skin has definitely been better in the past. Recently all that stress & medication has caused breakouts and it always takes a long time for my face to recover once it goes into that irritated sensitive state. Still got bumps and peeling skin everywhere!

Catz,
Actually, Shiseido is cheaper than Clarins, and possibly works better for me too, that's why I'm thinking of switching back. If SKII only works for ppl with nice skin, then it obviously doesn't work cos they didn't need it in the first place!

Yup, Uniqlo in Korea is v. nice and big. The one I went to was a 4 storey shop. Bottom floor latest stuff, 2nd floor womens, 3rd floor mens and 4th floor kids! The kids stuff also cheap and nice. I got skirt and top for Sherilyn at $12 each (now too big but she'll grow into it eventually). I like their built in bra tops, so I bought in Korea, abt SGD$24 after conversion, cheaper than SG which retails the same thing at $29.90. Hubby bought a few casual pants, I only managed to get a pair of shorts cos coudn't try pants / jeans.

Yah, I also agree that SKII works better with clear and fair skin. Definitely won't make any difference to tanned and dark toned skin. And yes, it stinks, dunno why?

And my skin is also the super dry type. If I can afford, SKII products are best lah, moisturing and not oily till it clogs the pores.

Never heard of Uniqlo, seemed like a big departmental store. Talk about Muji, i have even heard from my friend that she wanted to buy a bike from there. Is Muji still around?

Just read that Spore is ranked no. 10 most expensive country to live in Asia. I'm not sure if the median salary level commensurate with the costs of living as well. Like in Hongkong, the salary is high but so are the property prices but in places like Shanghai and Beijing which are ranked above Spore, property prices are high but is the salary level as high too? Take Adelaide for example, average property prices are about $400K for a 3 room house in a reasonably good city. Car is cheap, health cost is taken care by medicare but most average people will still pay about $100/mth (for family) for private medical healthcare & extras i.e. optical, physiotherapy, dental, etc. In terms of wage, about $45K-$60K as an average (not as high as in Spore). I reckon it is the private education fees that up the cost of living. But of course, people has the option for public education. So net net, there is not much savings left for most family unless you are dual income family and paying public school fees. Wondering if life is harder in Adelaide, Spore, Hongkong or Beijing. But definitely for sure, Japan is not a place for residence, though it is a great place for touring.

Tetra,
Uniqlo is a Japanese (i think) clothing shop, a bit like Esprit, definitely not department store.

I'm the tanned dark toned skin type, combi skin, not the super dry type, guess SKII not for me then?

I think property prices have gone ridiculously high in 1 year. We were lucky we bought just as the prices started rising. Our next door neighbour is selling their house, which is slightly smaller than ours, for 1.5x the price we paid! Our jaws just dropped when we heard their asking price...

I think it's difficult to compare and measure where life is harder, too many factors to balance. The environment, stress levels, work demands, taxation, health benefits, etc are different in different countries. For what it's worth, S'pore is home for me and it ain't bad. I have Malaysian friends working and living in UK, Hongkong and Japan, can't really say if they are better or worse off than me. Got plus and minus lor.

BabyD, you really lucked out with your house! It's such a keeper!! All that space.. drool drool.

Oh yah, Uniqlo has really good deals on their bargain items of the week/month - like the bra top, last month I bought it at $19.90 but now it's gone back to the RRP of $29.90. Really good.. love their bra tops!

Tetra, it's really just clothes.. like Gap but a Jap version.

I have oillllly skin. Sigh. SKII not for me.

Think every country has its pros and cons. Japan and HK too stressful for everyday living lah.

Catz,
The Uniqlo range in Korea is amazing, they had working suits, simple work dresses, nice tops and children clothes! SG just brings in the casual stuff, that's why it looks like Gap / Giordano. But I must say that in comparison, Uniqlo's T shirt material is really comfy and cool. I love those bra tops too, sooooo comfy. Regret not buying more colours in Korea!

BabyD, yeah I guess we don't get the full range? Although I've realised that the branch at 313 Orchard has quite a lot of stuff for kiddos.

OK won't be logging in for a while.. we're off to SFO in 34 hours.
happy.gif

Catz: enjoy your trip! I am sure this is one of those 'once in a lifetime' trip with hubby & 2 kiddos. Will be such a great memory for everyone.

Hieeee, yes of course.. I have unlimited data when I'm there so if I am not breaking up fights in the car.. I will!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hi Hi,
It's so quiet here with Catz away. How's everyone?

I shall be registering L soon for primary school. Gosh gosh... Not long ago, I was registering his kindergarten...now primary..time really flies!! I'm getting younger each day..hahaha...

Piggy: which school is Linus going to? the one near your place? Is he in P1 next year?

Lucas will be in Year 1 next year. Tomorrow is the last day of the 2nd Term before the 2 weeks school holiday starts. Winter now and probably it is good to be @ home in the next 2 weeks.

Did you read about the recent change in the Australian Prime Minister? Overnight, we have a new PM. Kevin Rudd was ousted out by his own party & they put up the deputy PM to lead the country. The politics here is just so strange for a foreigner like me. In retrospect, there is some good in spore government. Think there is no perfect government...

Tetra,
Likely Henry Park
happy.gif
Yup...P1 next year.

How's new PM doing so far? It's not easy to govern. Can't please everyone. I guess there's always 2sides of the same coin.

Hmm...wonder how's Catz enjoying her holiday...

Hello everyone, we're baaack! Came back 1am yesterday and sent my hubby to the airport at 9pm.. sniff sniff.. me and the kids are ultra jetlagged.. Beth woke me up at 2am and pee'ed all over the floor and Timo woke me up at 5am cos he was thirsty. And they both went to disturb my helper at 4am! Wah lau. All pandas.. but we had so much fun on our holiday. Will post pix when I'm less tired on FB.
happy.gif

Can't believe Lucas and Linus will be in Pri 1 next year.. Waaaah.

Tetra, actually why did Kevin Rudd suddenly get ousted har? Vote of no confidence?? We were travelling, didn't really read the news properly. That new lady seems very hard-nosed. I likey
happy.gif

Hi Catz,
We all took holiday from the thread when you went away. Dunno leh?

Looks like you had a great time. Wish I could go US again. Did you do lots of shopping? More Coach and Balenciaga?

Read abt your helper... not good, trust is broken, v hard to get it back. You'll never be able to stop wondering, this time it's clothes, next time might be...?

Catz,
Yes... I wouldn't be able to live with such behaviour. I think if I were you, I will let her go.
By the way, good thing you never get the shirt for me. L completely went off the show overnight!! When I ask him why... he told me it's due to a dream... wah... very drama king.

Hey girls, she does seem very sorry so we'll just give it on last chance else she's on the next ferry to Batam. Sigh.

Shopping - nahh.. Coach was for colleagues. Bal - yes.. hehe.. but honestly, most of the stuff we bought was for the kids. I didn't really get to shop much although my shopping tab was the highest cos of 2 big purchases - my new mountain bike and iPad.

I don't think the movie was a hit cos I never saw any shirts for it! But then again, I wasn't really looking for it at Universal since your message arrived when we'd left San Diego already. Hahaha.. your boy is really a drama king lor.

Catz,
Seriously, you carted home a mountain bike from USA???? SG don't have meh? iPad is totally reasonable. =P

Too many horror stories abt maids... really horror... one stole jewellery and baked them in a cake, saying she wanted to bring back for her family. She forgot to take it with her and was panicking at the airport, much to the bewilderment of the family. They only found out when they got home and cut the cake to eat! There was another who rolled up $50 bills she stole and stuffed it into the handle of her handbag. Dunno how they discovered it, but it was a lot of $50 bills.

My SIL simply left her diamond earrings on the table one afternoon as her ears were itchy. Next morning couldn't find, so she searched the whole house while everyone was away. Finally found it at the bottom of a pail with several dirty rags on top. They drove the maid to the agency that very afternoon, no explanations required or accepted. They simply told her they would not call the police, and that was her second chance.

The worst was hubby's great grandma's new maid, who was employed when she had a hip surgery and was on wheelchair. The maid stole all her CNY AP$ and all the old woman's gold (plus some of her DIL's jewellery as well) and somehow sold it. By the time they discovered the theft, nothing could be recovered. Poor great grandma was already 100yrs old, to lose all her sentimental gold which she was probably waiting to hand down to her children & grandchildren was a terrible blow. The only evidence the police found was a diamond ring wrapped in newspaper and scotchtape at the bottom of her luggage, which she probably forgot about. Our family is now completely intolerant of theft, no second chances, sorry or not. I made that very clear to my helper and she saw for herself how a moment's folly (SIL's maid) destroyed all trust and chances. I know it sounds harsh, but they can repent with their next employer if the theft is petty. We just won't be able to live with the distrust in our own home.

Just got a call and email from St James kindy, Sherilyn's got a place in pre-nursery next year! Can't believe it's been 1.5yrs on the waitlist. At least now I won't have to search for another school and they can go to school together for her first year. I called home first thing! More excited than if I struck 4D, I think. =))))

BabyD,
I guess the stories that we hear about theft is scary. But I think sometimes, if they really sorry, maybe can give one more chance as I guess for us, the most important is safety for kids lor. If they look after kids well enough, I guess I can still give one chance la.

Wa...Sherilyn finally got a place at St James. Good for you. One more year n Sherman will be in P1. Just got letter today that L has been given a place. Really wonder if he can cope with the workload. Spoke to one mum who told me her friend's child went there, didn't do well in school. Need to seek psychiatric help cos too stressed. Aiyo....

No kidding.. such a big betrayal.. I honestly felt like I'd been slapped in the face. I had to sit down cos I was literally reeling from the shock of actually finding my stuff in there. Anyway, friends of ours who have interacted with her told me to give her another chance. So she knows lor, this is the final straw.

Yes we carted a mtb back.. my hubby says it's cheaper over there. iPad - my precioussss
happy.gif

Goodness, really so many horror stories in your family lor.

Wow and congrats on St James. Didn't Sherman attend there? No sibling priority?

catz: i enjoyed looking at your holiday photos. Looked like all of you had such a great vacation. I like the LegoLand and of course the Disney. wah, first time I heard someone cart back a mountain bike from overseas shopping. cool lah.

oh about the new PM, she's Julia, has a partner, migrated to AZ from Wales when she was a young girl. Grew up in Adelaide & studied in a public high school here. She has just called for an election and I think she has a high chance of winning. She got the woman vote lah. And she not bad looking and can speak pretty well. The previous PM, Kevin Rudd was asked to step down by his own party. He was highly unpopular so the party doesn't want to risk it. Think over here is who is more popular not more capable coz whichever party rules, it seemed to be the same.

Hey Tetra, thanks! It was really a fantastic vacation, dunno how any other vacation will top this one until we go back again. Haha. I told Timo he's gotta get into Stanford then we will confirm go back.
happy.gif

I quite like the new PM lor, I think she's taking necessary measures to ensure Australia's sustainability seeing as water shortage is a real issue.

catz: haha. LOL. Think Timo knows more about Lego & disney than Stanford at this age. I am sure the kids will have good memory of this holiday when they look back.

Seemed like it doesn't matter who or which party, they are all the same. Apparently issues like water shortage, population growth, asylum seekers are long time issues with no solution. Very different politics market as what we have in Spore.

Catz,
We WERE on the sibling priority list, ever since she was 6 months old! Last month I called up the school and she was still No.15. If we were on the normal waitlist, she would be No. 56! That's how bad it is!

Wah, you tell Timo to go Standford, set such high standards at this young age! Hee hee, we haven't told Sherman that he should go back to Boston to study, his birthplace. Harvard or MIT?

BabyD, waaaaaaah that's sibling priority list? So those poor sods without siblings can wait until they go P1 ah? :p

Hehe.. MIT or Harvard lagi harder to enter. Anyway brainwash from a young age, hopefully they will study harder next time. *fingers crossed*

Tetra, I guess Australia is in a pretty precarious position like Singapore too not having any natural water resources.. but it's just that we've had it drummed into our heads since P1 but Aussies think they are part of the ang moh countries and are above survival issues??

Catz, Piggy,
Yah lor... hubby said getting into RI/RGS is easier than getting into St James! Want a place in that kindy must kiasu until the moment bb born and got birth cert, quickly register! That's what the school told me, duh! And there I was thinking 6 months old v early already.... obviously I wasn't kiasu enuff. My friend registered her Dec bb at 3 days old and was put on waitlist, so don't play play...

Piggy, yah what.. they are clearly part of Asia but cos of skin colour, they tend to think they are better. Honestly, of all the places I've travelled, I've encountered the most racism in Australia, unfortunately
sad.gif

BabyD, waaaah don't play play. I'm so happy Sherilyn got a place. One less worry!

hi all.

m a 2005 mom. Just wondering where are your kids attending playgroup/nursery now?

I just enrolled my son to st anne's chuch nursery next year. anyone have any idea how's the school like?

Back