(2004) stay home mommies

Hi buzz... umm, well, both her and her brother attend the same phonics lessons (at different times though - the class is an individual thing), and even though she is quicker and brighter than her brother, she seemed to be struggling a great deal more than he is. She also does things like reverses letters and numbers in writing, revereses words in reading, and she struggles a great deal with reading, even though simple things should not be a problem for her simply because she is obviously not a dull child.

If you go to the DAS (Dyslexic Association of Singapore - I think) website, there is this questionaire that parents must fill if they want to send your child for testing... read through it. When I read through that, my daughter came out positive for many of the questions asked... but hers is not very severe because she can read ok sometimes, especially when she's not under pressure, and if you just give her a little more time and space, she can experience more success. Her handwriting is also not illegible, though it tends to be somewhat messy... but again, if you encourage her, she is capable of writing neatly, though that becomes painstakingly slow.

I spoke to a friend also, who said her son struggled with similar problems, and has been officially diagnosed as a high-functioning dyslexic, and we both suspect that my DD is the same... high functioning can be quite hard to detect or confirm.

So yah... I'm still waiting for another dyslexia organisation to get itself set up (it's in the midst of it) before sending her for an official assessment, in case she needs the support when she goes to Primary School. In any case, high-functioning dyslexics just need a lot of help with phonics and a great deal of patience and understanding... and they can overcome it... but must catch early.

hippo... thanks for the link.. now perhaps I know a little bit more. But it sure sounds like it would completely kill my elder two, although my younger one might be up to the challenge more. Which then makes me wonder if Kumon can really train a child to be disciplined, or whether only children who are inately more disciplined can take to Kumon successfully. Probably a mix of the two. heh.

But anyway... don't think I want any of my kids to do so many pages of homework a day... I registered my #3 at Bethesda instead of at the same kindy as my eldest two because I hope to cut down on homework. haha.

Neither... the one in Pasir Ris...

Heard from the other threads it's quite good... checked it out and there were still "1 or 2" vacancies left when I finally registered her. Phew!

814652.png

hello mommies

what is your child doing on a typical week?

my 3 years old is attending:
- Chinese (once a week)
- Gymnastic (once a week)

hippo,
my 3yrs old boy is killing me at home.. can u pls recomend me somewhere i can send him to gain my sanity?? :S
i prefer educational classes.. i called kumon, they dun accept his age group, i call berries, they only hv morning classes (my boy wakes up late) where else to send him to?
do u recommend GUG? or lorna whinston? ist kinda expensive rite? i stay marine pde ..
maybe we can meet up so i can learn from u on how to juggle 3 kids! i hv 2boys and m drowning...
sad.gif

Ethel

no lah, I only have 2 girls, already raise white flags. my 2 girls squabble all the time, more so since it's school holiday now with my elder girl home the whole day

how about montessori? I like montessori but can't find any nearer to my house.
I think there are quite a number of enrichment centers at Marine Parade but too far for me by public transport

have your try another Kumon center?
before we moved house, my girl was with Wellington Kumon Center (near Sembawang MRT). they took her in when she was 2 years 11 months old. I heard their youngest is 2 & half years old at that time. we were rejected by another Kumon center at Sembawang shopping centre because my girl couldn't write yet at that age. so it really depends on the center

her current instructor is ok with 3 years old kids too, as long as there is no separation anxiety. maybe you can try other Kumon center near your place? there are usually quite a few around the same estate

I didn't try GUG or lorna whinston. Called Lorna Whinston before, speech & drama is on Sunday and need 1 parent to accompany. I don't want to accompany so didn't consider lor

hippo,
jus curious, y do u need to send yr kid to gym class? for agility? coz i always tot we can do these stuff with them at home. (short of the equipments) maybe i need gym classes to burn out my son's energy
happy.gif

hv u enquired on community centers courses? may i know again wat classes yr 3yr old is attending?
thks

I read from magazine, to quote 'gymnastic develop dynamic movements, a subset of non-locomotor stability skills. these are fundamental sports skills that should be developed as early as possible in a child as they are a pre-requisite to any sport.'

didn't want my kids to be nerdy, just study study study, hopefully can be good in sports too. but not only gymnastic developed these skills. swimming, cycling, in-line skating are all equally good activities that I intend to introduce when they are older

honeypots
what classes are your 3 years old attending? any suitable classes from CC ?

Hi all ,

i m looking for this doctor , Dr Lee Seow Lang , from CHYE CHILDREN CLINIC ... previous add of her clinic is at Toa payoh Blk 54 , but she moved already ... any one know where is she now ? pls email / PM me : [email protected]

thank

hi all,
i'm back to this thread after so long. so sorry. had a terrible flu bug that lasted for more than 2 weeks in early May. then in the midst of shifting hse. after church camp, shifted to new hse. last week, down with hand foot mouth disease. so 'sway'! my kids always 'ge na' all these virus during school holidays & festive seasons. broncholitis, tongsilitis, chicken pox & now HFMD! dun know what to say of those inconsiderate parents!

hippo2002,
thanks for those info. my dh wants to send my kids for swimming & arts 1st. later, probably music. but i still think that my dd will be quite good with gymnastics 'cos she's the more athletic sort.

hippo2002,
hi. still within toa payoh. dh grew up here & he's a diehard TPer, refused to shift out. had wanted to shift far,far away fm ILs & to woodlands near my parents but to no avail.
sad.gif

Alicia

I shifted recently too, to be near my parents and good schools.

Toa Payoh CC and Toa Payoh Safra organised group swimming lessons

Hi hippo

Have you gone to the Zara sales today? I told you about it at the Sales/Promotion thread. :)
Zara normally only advertise on newspaper on the day of the sale.

For now it is only 30% off, 2 weeks later will further reduce to 50% off but most sizes are gone by then.

YY

Thanks for the info! Did you get any good buys from Zara?

I went around noon today. Aiyo, so crowded. long queue to fitting room, even longer queue to cashiers. I gave up, don't know how to shop with so many people

Since I am in Orchard, I went to Wisma and Taka instead. Managed to buy a dress from Chomel and 2 tube tops from Taka. Luckily didn't go home empty handed
happy.gif

Hi hippo

I went to the Great World City branch, I guess it is not as crowded as Liat Tower. Got a dress for my girl but still unsatisfy!

So today went to Liat Tower Zara and bought more! Now feel better :p

But I may go Vivo City Zara to shop again.

hi Meriell alexiz Kwek, i like your idea. And i dont mind to attend such party hopefully to get some good stuff with reasonable price. We can actually gathered the number of people who are keen. Sound interesting huh.

Hi mummies at home,

I dont know what the feeling's like for taking care of children at age 3 onwards and 3 kids? Is that really crazy taking care......i feel like give up my job to try it out. Should I? I am no patient person. But will need your advises to try out before give up my works next 3 to 4 yrs ..

happy.gif

cocoon

my girl only took Kumon Chinese for a few months. Basically reading and tracing the characters and learning hanyu pinyin

I find it more fruitful to do Chinese assessment books

Hi Happyface,

I am a SAHM wif 3 kids aged 5 and below. SO far, no regrets. My elder 2 are in full day childcare so I mainly spend time wif with baby. YOu should try it!

jeng
wah salute u.. 3kids below 5.. easy to look after? i wan to hv #3 but m terrified!!. i hv 2 boys 2 n 4yrs.. alrdy pulling my hair out.. so cant seem to think of having #3.

Oh ...Jeng...you saying so much easy and you are affortable to have 2 in childcare which costs $1k plus, huh....and you no job...
your HB must be well paid...huh...wow, salute you..

I am thinking of 3rd kid. . but must wait till recovered for a year is better to concieve the next one.. Am thinking to let go my job too but no cash flow then...HB no cash for me too..hard to decide...dont know can get this kind of no cash life...heehee...any comments..

I think it is always a personal choice, not just money. Unless one is really strapped for cash due to family circumstance, I believe most of us can get by, just less holidays maybe. The relationship built when they are young will always stay in their memory and i believe when they are in the teenage years, we will reap the rewards of a closer relationship and not just one where we are concern about their homework and grades as that is likely if we only have time after work, right?

Hi,

I too hv 3 kids and staying home. Actually pretty bored at home while the 2 elder ones go to school. I felt so useless, wasting time at home.

maybe should go back to work. probably if i got to find some SAHM friends.

Hi,

I am addicted to stay at home mum now as I am on medical leave at the moment. Very nice but i did not take care my children much, i just leave it to my maid as training and training lah.. all the excuses for not taking care my gal and my boy. So sad huh, they will never look for me, especially my gal...so sad...I...

Shirley tan, shouldnt feel sad being at home alone doing nothing while kids are in school. You should treassure your free time, doing things u love to do..even things like chatting with friends on MSN.

sometimes, i feel that i'm wasting my time at home doing nothing much except coaching my kids homework. not very satisfying leh. think must find something to do. wat do u gals do when u hv free time?

Hi all. I have not been here for a long time. To re-introduce myself, I'm a sahm with 3 kids from 2003,2005 and 2007, all year end babies
happy.gif
Anyone in Sengkang with 07 babies?

hello
I am also a SAHM living at Bishan. Anyone staying around Bishan, Toa payoh?
i have 1 boy only.
Does anyone know of organics food delivery service? I cannot find one who delivers for maybe around $50 purchase. Can help me please? Thanks

Hi, any of you have maids to transfer? needed a good one desperately to take care of my son independently. Pls PM me. Much appreciated.

Hi! I have a music foundation class for 5 to 8 yrs old, starting tomorrow (Sat) at 11am.

Please contact me at www.music-at-colourfulclouds.com (you can send me a message in the website), there are limited seats for the free trials, so don't hesitate any longer especially if you are staying near to tampines!!

Fun and interesting music lessons conducted by myself

Back