(2004) stay home mommies

Hi sanrio. My kids are 2 years apart. Anyone wants to volunteer compiling a chart of who's who including kids' name, gender, birth month & year as well as location? I would have been happy to do do but my laptop is broken and relying on hubby who only brings his back from office occasionally. That's why I'm missing in action sometimes.

Regarding the playgroup, agree with kook_car that it's better to start small, so maybe by location first. I can see that a group in the west has already formed
happy.gif
Still waiting for my Sengkang/Punggol/Hougang group to take shape. Maybe we can start our own small groups and have separate bigger group gatherings later on.

I guess another challenge is those of us with 2 kids. It's quite difficult to go out unless you have some form of help....

wow,
today i went to Jurong Point Mall and West Mall,
it was super crowded, i guess everybody preparing for Christmas...

well i just want to say Merry Christmas to all of you
happy.gif

and hopefully we can all share a peaceful and joyfull day troughout the year and more
happy.gif

Meilan,
that's exactly how i feel these few days! v guilty towards my 2 boys. u r right. i shd look far! things will get better when the young one is able to play with the older one.

regarding the playgoup, i stay at cck. my boy going playground nxt yr from 9 to 10.30am. i'm keen to meet up u all. how abt once a mth first and settle the time 1st?

hi mummies,

Merry christmas to all! Just came back from the trip.

I stay in Teban Gardens but still keen on playgroups in Jurong and Bukit batok areas as well.

hi carnellin,

went for a 2 weeks holiday with my family to NZ(Queenstown) and Australia(Sydney).It was really cold in Queenstown.

Any playgroup coming up in Jan?

Ouww
happy.gif
I heard many singaporeans loves visiting NZ yeah?
I've visited Auckland and all through Mt Rotorua. i miss their serenity, is it still like that?

Happy new year to everyone!!

carnellin,

Baby was having flu just 2 days after we returned. Finally she is ok now.

NZ and Australia have always been singaporeans' favourites esp when it is close by.

I find myself returning back to australia over and over again. Really love the place.

cutie,
as i remember i like NZ better heehee
happy.gif

hey can tomorrow my hubby pick up the stuff? at clementi MRT right?
7pm okay for you?

Happy new year to one and all! Have been partying hard with the kids over the hols and feeling really exhausted by now. JK started nursery so life has been quite hectic though I should get a breather during his absence once we all settled into some routine. I can then spend more meaningful time with my younger one who tends to be more neglected when her brother is at home.

On playgroups, any interested Sengkang/ Hougang/ Punggol mommies yet?

carnellin,
where is the startots? there's one near my hse at cck too. y do u say it's not gd? my boy goes to sparks. seems ok. the 2 teachers r able to handle the crying kids. lessons are alrite too. anyway, it's just 1.5 hr. after all the routine stuff like toilet and water break, not much time left for 'real work'. my idea is more to let him get used to sch so that it's easier for him to go nursery 2008

my daughter go to the bukit gombak one, the teacher only two and the students are 16 and more than half of them are crying hard (2 of them until vomit), i really think they are overloaded, i think it should be 1 teacher for every 6 kids. the room is always a mess and the kids didn't feel organized, my daughter didn't cry but i think when another kid cry really hard it disturb her and begin to look for me for comfort..

is in the the same 1 teacher for 8 kids?

carnellin,
oh ic. then mine is more organised. 2 trs to 10 to 12 kids i think. today is the 6th day of sch. and most kids already know what to expect when they reach sch. they know how to take off shoes, put on rack, then go toilet to wash hands before playing with the toys on the floor while waiting for lesson to begin. then when sch finishes, the kids come out in straight lines. even when i'm waiting outside, i seldom hear the trs raise their voice. i'm impress! considering these are 3 yrs old!
i talk to another mum who send her child to star tots last yr, she also din have a gd impression of that sch.

home,
guess what their adding another kid today ... i'm really going to move my kid to another PG next term, did urs far from the mrt?
because i'm thinking of moving my gal to Apple tree near CCk mrt st..

carnellin,
the pg my boy attends is near to yew tee mrt. must walk for 5 to 10 min. guess a bit too far for u

Hi. This group has been quiet of late. Just wondering if anyone is keen to meet up for a picnic at a park or something on a weekend and we can take the playgroup idea from there? Have just started one for my boy and it is indeed very good for both mummies and children. As each parent rotates to teach something (anything) each week, it motivates us to prepare for the session creatively, after seeing how other mummies have done a good job. Would really like to start a group for my girl who's 1 yr-old.

hi janet,
i m sahm w 1 boy 2.5yrs old n expecting a bb girl due in may 07.
oh, d hello kitty thread no more?

hi carnellin,
how is celin? hav u started her in a new playgp?

hi everybody
happy.gif

meilan, yeah sure i love to have a picnic together or playgroup
happy.gif

hi sanrio,
nope, still waiting for this term to end but still confuse which one will be the best for the term 2
happy.gif

Hi everyone
happy.gif

Am SAHM with almost 2.5yr old Athena, and 7.5mth old Irvin.

Carnellin,
yikes sounds like alot of crying. My girl will be going to pre-nur in April.

hey mommies,
can anyone share their great experience with a playgroup at west side or any other PG that have branch at west side.... i'm still looking for a great one, where my gal can actaully learn something and have great and loving teacher and environment
happy.gif

carnellin,
not sure if this location gd for u- my girl used to attend Kid's Loft at Chip Bee, now they've moved to Cluny Court. Their website seems down, can contact her personally: Ms Lavina Chong Hp: 65 - 9684 6797
The PG structure was freeplay, phonics, storytelling, craft, snack, music and movement, in 1.5hr, accompanied. My girl *LOVED* it, when they had extended hols due to the location shift, she was bugging me so much about wanting to go to sch, I had to source other progs for her. But different kids have different preferences, should trial to see how ur girl takes to it.
She has Kindermusik too- will be letting my younger boy try that (last time when girl was younger, we tried Kindermusik Tanglin Mall).

wow thank you medusa.. she can be accompanied yeah.. i think i'm gonna search for the kindermusik too, i heard many kids love it..

thanks
happy.gif

Hi Carnellin,
Just chanced upon this thread and noticed that my son is in the same class as yr gal at Star Tots. I guess the problem with Star Tots is that they allowed born in yr 2005 old toddlers to enrol their PG as compared to those strictly born in yr 2004. At least more than half the class are toddlers btw 18m - 24m hence the excessive crying and the teachers can't manage.
Finally my son has stopped his crying and seems to pick up the songs and dance learnt from sch.

Just wanted to let u know that you can also consider BJG (Baby Jumper Gym) that is located at HomeTeams (CDANS) opp my flats here. Alternatively you can find out more about this PG at the Church located 1 bus stop further down CDANS. It is a new operation just started like a couple of mths. Understand from one of the mom that is a class at 11.45 - 2.45 pm where there are only 4 students at present. Fee wise was told like 280 per quarter I think (please reconfirm). I have yet to find time to drop by the place to take a look.

I won't be checking this thread further. If u need more info, PM me
happy.gif

Hi all. Have been missing in action as I was sick on and off in Jan. Will look out for some concert in the park programme in Feb/Mar so that we can meet up then. Will keep you guys posted.

There's a concert at Botanic Gardens this Sun evening (details in ST Life) but I guess it's too last-minute to call for a gathering. Let's watch out for something to do together in Mar.

hi meilan,
you have been sick from what? hope ur okay now..

yeah we love goin to botanic garden too, my gal lovessss see all the dogs there
happy.gif

sanrio,
hi, how was it do u like the cake and cookies?

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum. A 2004 stay home mommie too.
Nice to hear that most of you mommies in north-west area. Maybe someone here could organise outing for 2004 stay at home mommies?

I'm glad I found this thread!!! I'm currently serving my notice and will be a SAHM in March (wish me luck!).

DD#1 is currently attending a cc in my office but since I've tendered my resignation, I'll have to withdraw her. We've discussed and she wants to go to a PCF instead of a cc. I'm thinking of sending her to a cc near home so I can spend more time with DS#2 but pple are telling me it's unfair to DD#1 since I'm going to be a SAHM. However, I'm worried that I may not be a good SAHM and maybe, I may reconsider going back to the workforce and if DD#1 is in PCF school, who's going to take care of her after school??

I have no intention to order tingkat as I'm very particular about what food goes into those tiny little stomachs.

My mind is in a whirl now, on one hand I want to spend more time with the kids but on the other, I'm worried if I can manage cooking, household chores + looking after the kids and still maintain my sanity. Any advices?

Note:
* DD#1 - 4.5yo (into her FEARSOME FOURS now!!!)
* DS#2 - 18 months (approaching TERRIBLE TWOS!!!)
* No maid

hi
happy.gif

winter and reena, welcome to the thread,
i'm a SAHM with one 2 yr old gal, hmm at first i try to cope with no maid.. but after couple of months the house chores and boredom overload me
sad.gif
so with a help from a friend i got a great part time cleaner
happy.gif

Hi reena, i don't think you can handle :p
reason for you never tend to them alone before, and now you want to do it by yourself, AND you have 2 of them!!

I cannot, with 1 son approching 2.5yo, i still cannot handle him alone. I don't like the way MIL taking care of him, but i have to admit - without her, I am DOOM!!! she will do the household chores, and cooking. Sometimes i complain, but most of the time i m grateful!

part time cleaner is great! at least you don't have some stranger staying in your house.

my kids are 3 & 5 years old
I have been a SAHM since my elder child was 1 year old

when they are younger, we have a part time auntie to help scrub the floor & do general cleaning. We do away with the cleaner recently, now that they are older

and we have been catering for lunch since a year ago so I do not cook. Cater a bigger portion so that it last till dinner. I simply cook porridge for both meals. Pick the dishes suitable for your child (fish, egg) out of the 4 dishes daily & choose a caterer with no MSG

I do laundry while the kids are having their afternoon nap or watching TV after their lunch

hubby will handle dishes, I left the dishes from lunch time for him to wash together after dinner

other chores we will spread it out. like doing ironing or folding the clothes while watch TV

so far, do not find ourselves tired out by chores as we spread out the tasks

carnellin, You're scaring me... I forgot to mention I've got a dog at home too
kao_scared.gif
and cleaning up after him is no joke!

hippo2002,
Thanks for your advice. It's very encouraging. I'm running short of time now. DD's last time with current cc is end Feb but I still have not found a new school for her yet. The PCF school near my house is full, next available is 15 mins walk from my house and with a preschooler and a toddler in tow, I think I'll probably need 20 - 25 mins to get to school.

My plan is, send her to cc so I only need to attend to ds in the day but I can't convince her yet. So, planning in the worst scenario, will send her to PCF school in the morning. I'll prepare lunch while dd is in school and ds taking his morning nap. After fetching dd from school, the kids will have lunch and play for a while before taking their afternoon nap. Again, I'll prepare dinner while they are napping. Will try to squeeze some time while they are napping to clean the floor or do some ironing.

The way I look at it, I don't think I can keep my house very clean and tidy... and DH is a clean freak! OMG!!! How????? Oh well, will just take one step at a time since I've already decided to be a SAHM. I'm really scared but I just have to acccept the fact that this decision is made and I'll just have to work things out.

BTW, which caterer are you using? My gf is looking for a caterer that delivers lunch, without msg but so far those she found only have dinner delivery.

my 1st caterer is Lexin (no MSG)
http://www.lexin.com.sg/tingkat.htm

I'm using Neo Garden now (with MSG) but timing suits me better
http://www.neogarden.com.sg/menu_dinnerdelivery.cfm

both do lunch delivery but depends on where your friend live. in selective area only

PCF is a good choice, find those with 4 hour session so that you don't have to keep walking to & forth, can be very tiring too

the afternoon session is usually less packed, so maybe you can consider afternoon session. But you will probably have problem cooking lunch because both are at home in the morning

reena,
sorry didnt mean to scare you
happy.gif
but maybe because i'm kind a too occupied (my mind i mean) heehee... i want my house clean, my gal fed well, and everything in order :p..

and you have a dog? heehee... yeah i know what its like... my MIL have two (even used to had three) the house was.. well let me just say, i cant let my gal walk on bare foot there...

and catering is actually a good idea..
btw cellin just got viral infection from school
sad.gif

Hi, I am new to this thread. I quit full time job in the beginning of 2006, worked part time for about 9 months and now I am a full time SAHM.

I have 2 boys - 7 and 4 yrs old. Both are in school in the morning and that's my only free time but I have to cook simple lunch before my boys come home from school. For dinner, I cater food and I add a steamed fish or soup if the dishes are not suitable for my younger one. For lunch, I always ensure that there is fish because the catered food usually doesn't have much fish.

I also have a part time helper that comes to help with household chores twice a week. I kept reminding myself that my objective of quitting is to spend more quality time with my kids and not to become a maid.....

Jess

Do you feel that your kids need you more (as SAHM) when they are younger (before age 5) or now (at primary school going age) ?

Hi Hippo2002,

I think it depends on the circumstances. When I only had one boy, I was quite comfortable with him being looked after by my MIL. But when my MIL started to have more grand children (including my younger boy) under her care and I had to send my older boy to child care centre, it became quite stressful for me. That's the reason why I decided to quit and give my 2 boys more attention, instead of being torn between work and family.

Hi. Looks like we have a couple of new like-minded people in this thread. Welcome and I would like to take this opportunity to hear from the more experienced SAHM.

Recently, I've been feeling rather down cos my elder child (who's 3yr 4 mths) is becoming increasingly difficult. For a while, he seemed to have got over the stage of "terrible two" but actually he turned worse. I feel he's supposed to understand the consequences better now and yet he always chooses to go ahead with a tantrum. I feel very drained with such daily battles that I not only can't do any activity with him, I tend to neglect my younger child in the process of settling him.

Increasingly, I'm questioning my worth of staying at home. My primary objective is to spend more time with them and do a lot of fun things together but in reality, I overspend my time in cooking (cos I'm a slow worker in this) and feel very unhappy due to frequent explosions from the older one. I already have a part-time helper so I don't really do housework other than the daily essentials like laundry and washing dishes. I do not want to give up cooking cos it's curently the only area I feel some sense of achievement ie providing homecooked meals for the kids.

Sometimes, I get overly harsh on my boy when he acts up as I can't control my frustration. My husband asks me to watch my own behaviour as I could destroy the poor boy's ego as a result. If this goes on, I don't think the children will benefit very much from my staying at home compared to being cared for by their grandparents or at a childcare centre. Everyone asks me to go back to work but the kids have grown so attached to me I don't have the heart to leave them to someone else.

How do we determine whether we are really suitable to be a SAHM?

Meilan

I experience the exact same thing so I can empathise with you.

My elder girl isn't exactly an easy child to handle. Too headstrong & stubborn & temperament. I have been through the stage of quarrelling with her many times a day. So much so I totally lost confident & feel that I have no control over her.

I revisited my books on parenting and attended parenting talk again. Things I thought I already knew but probably became lax over the years and not really practicing what I thought I knew

she still go through spout of this dramatic outbreak on & off. I am still enduring it although I have learnt to handle it better by adjusting my attitude towards her (since I can't change hers) and show her I really love her and learnt to look at her other strengths

There is vast improvements in our relationship although she still goes through spout of this dramatic outbreak on & off.
for instance, she lost her temper & yell at me for a whole month and disturbed her sister everyday when she started her k1 in a new school. sometimes it's their way of expressing their frustration though it's definitely not the right way to do it

endure. I think it will work out eventually. It's very hard to love a difficult child but I'm trying my best

hi all mommies, i'll be shifting house today. no internet access for sometimes, hope to catch up real soon!
Will upload james phto when i am done with house reno... hmm.. will stay in and do reno at the same time, i must be crazy!!! will update!
happy.gif

Hi Meilan

I fully understand your feelings. My 2 boys are not easy to handle either and they are always quarrelling with each other although they love each other very much. So I often have to send them to a quiet corner or threaten to throw away their favourite toys. When we all calm down, I will talk to them and explain things properly. And I kept reminding myself - tomorrow will be better!

Reena,
sorry new to this thread, are ur kids older? If certain age already, abit of dirt can't be a problem? If younger, can use safety gates to make certain areas no-zone, then those no-zone areas just lighten up on the level of cleanliness ;) .

Meilan,
no advice cos I get moody some days and am a bad mother on those days. I try to step away and let someone else take over (I'm lucky in that aspect).

Back