(2004) stay home mommies

usually a week or so, (in the book can last for 2 weeks) but it's okay, what i mean by okay is, no fever, no change in appetite or sleepyness..

no marks after that also

Hi Sanrio
happy.gif
Gd to see u here. My family was down with that stomach virus too abt 2 mths back. It was horrid. It must be tough on u and Ash. Better now?

Ribena
We sacrifice to be sahms to our kids, so don't let anyone tell u you are not doing gd enuf. Even when it comes to food. At least you prepare bfast and lunch for your kid. I always cook a side dish for my gal when we hv tingkat dinner. In case nothing suits her. Not all tingkats are unhealthy. Choose the healthier options for your kid.

tibbar
My gal is also quite selective with food. Guess its because she has tasted a wide variety.(we are spoilt for choce here in singapore)But nothing wrong as long as your kid does not reject healthy essential foods. Think the main thing is to give a few gd options for your gal each day. It helps if you know her favourites and rotate between the meals everyday. Sometimes, I also give a few options to my gal and ask her what she prefers. Then I'll prepare that for her
happy.gif

Hi. Regarding adjustment problems at childcare/presch, I guess there can be many factors. For me, it was a surprise as my boy is the outgoing type and when we brought him to visit childcare centres, he's always happy to play without us while we talked to the teachers. I guess there were a few things I could have done better to ease him into the new environment:
1) Enroll him later. I think 3 years would be ok to start as they can reason better. He was just 26 months and could not really understand though I have prepared him by telling him that he would be going to sch.

2) I regret heeding the centre's style of not having parents sit in for the first 3 days. I just sneaked away from Day 1. On hindsight, the separation should have been done more gradually.

3) He had to go to childcare as my parents could not cope with 2 kids at home. So it was bad timing that we enroll him soon after his sister's arrival. He probably felt very insecure and resentful to have his throne usurped.

Actually his traumatic adjustment was a turning point for me. His unhappiness made everyone at home very distressed and caused me to reset my priorities - so here I am, a SAHM when I woke up to the fact that taking care of my own kids is more impt than making money.

Roseolla aside, I just want to share that kids can still get measles and chicken pox after taking the vaccination. My JK had a slight bout of measles recently which the Dr said could be due to a wild strain of virus not covered in the vaccine. So it's always good to get a Dr to check when your maternal instinct tells you that something is not right.

cutie,
if i remb correctly, pd said it's d body reaction to d virus n usually appear a day or 2 af d fever. if no itch, blisters or other symptoms, shd b ok. once my boy had high fever n af fever subsided, he got red spots all over his body but din seem to 'irritate' him. d rashes wen off af a few days.

carnellin,
we visited so many cc n finally settled him w st joseph's. u stay in bt gombak? mayb 1 day we cld mt up.

meilan,
my bb will d due next yr apr but i started my boy in cc tis 1 dec. reason being: i wan to let him hav lots of tx to adjust n adapt n not tinking tat it is due to his sibling arrival tat he nid to b 'separated' fr mummy. d cc is v flexi, d principal told me dun do 'disppearing act'. i can stay as long as i wan until both me n my boy are comfy w d new arrangement.
hope ur boy will adapt well agn wen he turns 3.

Meilan
Hey, im at bakau station too. Near the temple. How about u?

Appreciate u on sharing abt your boy's experience. This is what i fear too abt sending my gal. Coz my bb arrived recently in august and i do know of cases where the toddler is badly affected when sent to school shortly after arrival of no.2. I dunno....its already 4 mths since my bb came. I will hv to go for trial with my gal to find out. At least they allow 2 wks trial. Hey, don't blame yourself for wat happened. Its great that you chose to be there for your kids now.

Sanrio
Gd to know that. Not easy especially when u are preggie. Take care

hi sanrio, pringles. Nice to see you here
happy.gif

My girl threw a big tantrum at Compass Pt earlier this afternoon. That was after I scolded her for going into the Timezone games centre when I had expressly said "no". And she made me stand outside waiting for her for 20 mins, with a really heavy backpack and 2 bags of shopping!! I didn't want to go in cos my tummy is so big and I feel so clumsy and it was crowded inside. (And nobody on the seats outside offered me a seat!) Finally I had to drag her off the floor and sit her on my lap at the BK outlet and let her calm down so I could talk to her.

hi all,
talking abt cc, i'll be sending my boy to playgp nxt year. he's the shy type, can take quite long to adjust to a new environment. so i'm really worried if he can settle into the new place or not
sad.gif

he's having fever today. sigh... so scare he sick. hopefully, the fever be gone by tonorrow.

Meilan and Sanriio,

Thanks for the advise. My gal sleeps and eats well despite having rash all over her body. No itch and she is still SUPER ACTIVE. This is why I didn't consult the doctor right away, I want to monitor her for a day or 2 before deciding if it is necessary.

Nice to hear assuring words from mummies with similar experience.

Carnellin, on learning Chinese, I have a machine I bought that for JK but it's been a white elephant. I'm planning to put it up for sale but if you want, I can lend it to you to see if it's useful for you and your child too. Where do you live?

By the way, I forgot to mention that JK went through a year of illness since starting childcare in Feb. Esp at the beginning, he was sick almost every other week and the initial bugs were really strong. At one stage, me, hubby, baby, grandparents and even his aunty were all infected by turns! This year, we went to the Dr so many times she waived consultation fees for us a few times. I thought that was really kind of her cos the visits did burn a big hole in our pockets esp now only 1 pocket left.

According to the Dr, it's common for toddlers at 2-3yr old to get sick several times a year but I very much suspected that he would have been stronger if we had kept him at home.

Pringles, let's arrange to meet at a nearby playground sometime! Are you at Rivervale Cresent the design and build precinct? If so, I'm at the not-so-nice estate down the road, nearer to Bakau station.

Privileged, are you also in SK? Sorry to hear abt your girl's tantrums with a big tummy and all. I know how it feels as a mummy to put up with the nonsense. It's probbaly a combination of the kid's terrible two stage combined with her insecurity due to your pregnancy. I was very harsh and impatient with JK at oe stage which I looked back ith much regret now. There have been countless times I found my anger rising and urge to be violent. But scoldings and hitting always made him even more rebellious. Well, don't know if it's due to his growing older or what, but he's been easier recently after turning 3 (still keeping my fingers crosssed) also maybe because I use more soft tactics now.

Hey all,

I'm a SAHM too, taking care of my two boys (2yrs4mths and 4mths respectively). I'm a friend of HOME actually.

Can share with me your schedule at home? How do you keep your kids entertained meaningfully at home?

Mabbe we should also share about things or household equipment that make our job as SAHM easier.

Welcome augustmum. When did you start being a SAHM and do you have any help? I started in Jun this year to take care of my baby but only recently took my elder one out of childcare too, so still struggling with caring for both. My dad or mum comes to help me in the day but I'm working hard to become independent quickly.

Keeping kids entertained? Most of the time, if the elder one is occupied and well-behaved, the day can be relatively smooth eg these 2 days which I am really thankful for. I let him watch DVD (selective titles only) once a day, sometimes twice and recently he started getting interested in doing jigsaw puzzles and some colouring on his own. I also ensure he goes outdoors once a day to playground, play skate scooter or bicycle.

As for the younger one, I feel very guilty not doing anything meaningful with her apart from the basic care and lots cuddling. Her attention span is too short for me to continue trying.

meilan,

i do alot of singing on a daily basis to my baby gal since she was born. even till now, i try to find as many opportunities as i can.

also,my hubby and i always look and smile to her.we have alot of eye contact with her even while we are doing our stuff, hoping to let her feel that she is also involved in our conversation or activities.

i feel that these are good ways of communication.

i believe you are doing great...just add the frequency to enhance the effect.

hi everyone,
i guess everybody prefered to chat night time when kids are snoozing
happy.gif

yesterday is a dreadful day for me..
cellin angry and then vomitted (sometime she do that, Dr said it's normal, some kids do that), i was really angry because i've fed her really hard yesterday
sad.gif

so we kind a fight, i scream she scream, and then she sleep after crying her heart out, after i cried my heart out, i sleep too, and then waking up cry again until my husband came home...

i'm exshausted yesterday... because she vomitted quite a lot, and i have to clean bathrooms, bedrooms and clothes that got dirty because of her.. after she awake i ask for her forgiveness for scolding her too hard...

i cry because i'm so worry and frustrated, i spent almost all my time in the day to prepare her food, fed her, and all the stuff for her..
sad.gif

after she saw me saying sorry, she smile and all our quarrel is over, but i'm still tired today of all the crying yesterday...

sanrio,
i live next to the west mall, where do you live?
if you see a mom wearing shorts and flip flop, with a little girl walking by her side in the west mall it's probably us
happy.gif

meilan,
about the mandarin l earning... it's okay, i meant you don't have to pushed it
happy.gif
because currently i don't know when can i spent time to learn it
happy.gif

i live in bukit batok

meilan,
I live in Punggol. I bring my girl to the Library at Compass Point regularly. Yesterday I had to do some additional Christmas shopping. I'm not really harsh to my girl, but I am VERY FIRM with her. I spank her, but I'm very calm when I do it. She knows when she's done wrong, and sometimes her tantrums can be due to remorse or regret. Often she throws tantrums when she's tired, as she was yesterday afternoon. Anyway, we always have a good talk afterwards, and then pray together. And then everything returns to normal, as if nothing happened. Sometimes later in the day, I might ask her if she learnt some lessons during the day, and sometimes she can sort of tell me what happened
happy.gif

Teaching Chinese : I recently bought a set of chinese flashcards/books to teach her chinese reading. She's quite averse to it, but I've got to start somewhere. Sometimes when we speak to her in Mandarin, she'll say "I don't want to let mummy/papa talk Chinese!" So funny.

Carnellin,

kids usually eat when they are hungry. dont push yourself too hard at times. can understand your frustrations and worries.

priviledged,
a senior teacher in JG told me to speak only 1 language to my baby if I want her to learn it well. This is why, I will speak only English while my hubby will speak mandarin to her.

babies can learn up to 6 languages but to learn it well, it has to be spoken by 6 different person. if one speaks few languages, the child will pick up singish as a result.

Meilan,

I took care of both my children since August. No helper cos hates the idea of having a maid.

Like you, I also feel I have neglected the younger one. Anyway, most of the time, I will try to involve the two boys. For eg. during storytime, I read aloud to both boys with the older one holding the book and filling in the blanks for me. I will leave out the last word on each sentence and he will complete for me.

I sing aloud to both of them. In addition, at times, when I need to carry the baby, I will tell the older one that we will take a walk in the house. He will follow me and chant 'walk, walk, walk, walk, walk...' I will purposely slow down sometimes, so he will bump into me. He likes it.

Other than these, nothing much The older one used to go MY GYM twice for outdoor but stopped recently, cos the class size got too big. Looking for other gym now. Do not wish to keep him indoor most of the time.

Waiting for no. 2 to get bigger, then can take both out.

Carnellin and Cutie,

I'm ok with my sons speaking one language first. Do not want him to be confused. However mil always complains that my son doesn't speak mandarin and will answer her in EL only.

As for feeding, sometimes, baby gets cranky during the older one's lunch time. No choice, oler one has to feed himself. The problem is he will only pick up things he wants to eat and also creates a mess. But, if I feed him, the young one will wail and wail.

Hi meilan and priveledge I am at compassvale - maybe we should all meet at the library sometimes!

Sorry haven't written for so long!!! No time looking after 2.
I also feel sad that I don't have so much time to spend with each of the kids. The older one has to watch
DVDs and play on her own. And the smaller one has to be put in a baby gym. I thought 3-hour playgroup
would be good but E says she doesn't want to go. Worse is when both cries and want attention at the same time.

It's really good reading all your experiences and sharing.!! Thanks mummies!!

mummies,

i have always wanted to create a playgroup for my girl and do similar activities like wat she has in JG class. but to do it alone, it will take alot of efforts.

in JG class, they have storytelling and magic box(activity of the day) besides outdoor playground and a quick snack.

if mummies are keen here, we can do something similar in a smaller scale. in a way, our babies get to mingle with other toddlers and most importantly learning in a structured environment.

hi mommies,
why don't sometime we meet up, maybe in someone homes or somewhere that didn't cause too much trouble for mommies with two kids (and one of them still baby), basically me and cellin can go anywhere at least not so far like east coast
happy.gif

so our kids can minggle and mummies can chat one to another...

carnellin,
i live near to westmall too. near the bt batok swimming pool. shall we mt up 1 day at westmall or at ur place? how abt mid to late noon af our todd had their nap. my boy is currently in half day cc fr 730am to 1pm.

Sanrio,

Okay that would be great.. I think if we meet at the mall we can not chat a lot because cellin loves to walk by herself there and I really have to keep my eye on her
Btw, how old is your boy?
So want to meet at our place? But it really messy, so you have to prepare yourself , I live in the jade, the entrance is right in front of fair price.

Oh I know, why dont we chat at the playground inside my apart, so our kids can play (its not big, so we can still have our eye on them) and the same time we can chat.

cutie,
i heard you say, you are going to australia? which part? because when i was there in Perth it was really quite, so different than singapore
happy.gif

meilan,

i have tried the catering you told me,
hahaha
happy.gif
my hubby didn't like it
oh and do you know any catering that can serve food from lunch time, because flavour and spice serve around 5 o'clock, i need earlier than that..

but really thank you for helping me
happy.gif

Meilan
Yes, i stay in the premium flats, not design and build. Sometx i bring my gal across to the blue flats area with a few playgrounds. Sure, we can meet up some time
happy.gif

Augustmum
Looks like your kids are about the same age gap as mine except my elder one is 2.5 yrs old.

Typical day at home
-wake up,wash up,Dora the explorer on tv/vcd for toddler while i bathe bb), breakfast, puzzles/ball games/art/activity books/flashcards/music/baking/outdoors/library/
playdates(basically anything fun). Then, cook lunch, eat and followed by more activity. (Thats why i get so tired coz my tod seems to have never ending stamina! )When i really need to rest, i tell her to play by herself or go take a nap. These days she can stretch from 7am all the way to 430pm before she takes a nap:p

Everything is done together with maid and 2 kids if bb is awake.

carnellin,

it will be either sydney or perth. will let hubby decides. yes, it is indeed very different as compard to singapore.

we have been to perth 5 times earlier and quite like the peaceful lifestyle. we think of trying out a new life over there while we are still young.

pringles,

wow u are really packed with activities each day. really impressed.i did flashcards for 5 months when she was only 5mths old. however, she doesn't show much interest on it so i decide to stop for good.

my gal attends JG 3x weekly.usually will just do storytelling on the remaining 2 days she is not in school. for weekends, it is always to the malls or parks.

my gal usually have 2 naps a day, morning at 11am and afternoon at 4pm. it has become a habit and is wonderful during weekdays as i get more time for myself. however, for weekends we can't do much or go far as we will need to follow her sleeping routine.

wow, you really taking chances yeah?!
good for you and hubby too
happy.gif

i still have cousins and friends there, they say things are pricier there..

yes carnellin....no risk no gain.except for my hubby, there are little opportunity cost esp when i am sahm and my gal is still young.

hey did any of you ever buy something from other mommies at this forum on sale stuff?

because i'm really interested in second toys, a lot of them are used to be expensive toys, like from fisher price, but because it is second it's about 50% off so on special occassion i can buy them..
happy.gif

oh yeah, i try to buy this nice cargo pants, so i kept asking the measurement and ended up being scolded
sad.gif
well i just want to make sure it fit me or not, because the person just kept saying it's m or m-L and answering very limited ... what am i supposed to do?
so i decided to back out (really worry the pants can suited me) and she answer me all in caps lock, like ARE YOU THE THIS PERSON (saying my name) I ALREADY GIVE YOU THE MEASUREMENT (she just give me the waist, i asked her for the length from waist to crouch because i'm afraid it is hipster pants, etc), NO REFUND AFTER PURCHASING, ETC ohhh it's horrible..

so now i make up my mind no matter how nice the clothes seem better buy things i can try first
happy.gif

Priviledged
What's the gender of your no.2? Its not easy going around pregnant with a tod. I recall that some mths ago. Do u place your shopping bags in a stroller or just hand carry? I practically use my stroller as a shopping cart while putting Alicia in when she gets too tired to walk.

Cutie
Gone were the days of 2 naps a day for my gal. Enjoy your periods of rest while u may
happy.gif

pringles,
hey same here
happy.gif
any time i can i always use it as my shopping cart, even when my daughter want to walk i still carry the stroller, it helps a lot
happy.gif

carnellin,
i bought quite a no. of stuff fr tis forum mktplace. usually bb stuff n not clothes for myself as i wori cant fit too. hey, if d seller is nasty, dun buy fr her. so far, those i 'deal' w are quite nice.

yes we cant chat at westmall, my boy will b busy running ard. i can mt u at d jade playgrd. i pm u my mobile no. n we cfm agn okie. dun wori, my hse is oso in a big mess. yes my boy 2yrs 4mths old. how abt ur girl?

Carnellin,

I bought several stuff from here too. It is quite ok for most of them. I think preloved ones are better cos the life span is so short for most of them.

Will join u mummies next Jan as we will be away for 3 weeks.

pringles,

wow, you did so much with your children. V. hardworking. How I wish I can do more...

My older son tried out a one-week holiday prog. at zoo-phonics, he's very happy there. Now, I'm very tempted to send him to playgroups, those with lots of play activities
happy.gif

yes, a lot of the seller are quite nice, that's why i was surprise with this one, and when i read on the thread many mommies cancelling to, because they said they need measurement just like i do..

can't pm me? really? how can i change that.. i'll pm you ya sanrio.

cellin will be 2 yr this saturday.. actually i'm kind a blue, because i want to give her like a bday celebration (like a small party) but because no families here and we are new here so we don't know who will come
sad.gif

augustmum,

yes, that's why i put cellin in playgroup next month so she can meet new friends and learn and play too, because i'm concern if i keep her with me all of her time she will be secluded... and also children now a days are very smart, i want her to know more than i used to be..

Pringles,
My bb is a boy
happy.gif
. I had some stuff in my backpack, and was hand-carrying some more bags. I hadn't planned to buy so much, but it just ended up that way. I didn't have the stroller with me cos I take the bus. The bus stops right in front of my block, whereas the MRT/LRT - I have to walk.

augustmum
Its great that your boy enjoys his holiday program. I may be starting my gal on some ocassional playgrp thing to relieve myself abit and let her gain some independence interacting by herself. Hope it works out.

PVL
Congrats!! Thot of a name yet? Hey, today i brought Alicia to the library. We had to sit on the carpet since all the seats were taken. After sitting for some time reading, she suddenly got up and exclaimed to me, "sand! sand! ow!" She was pointing to her foot. Then i realised she was having pins and needles for the first time! Hahahaa!!

meilan,
today's menu is not bad (from flavour n spice)
happy.gif
hope hubby like it..

hey anybody interested in togethers picnic or something?

Back