(2004/09) Year End (Sep - Dec) 2004 Mothers-to-be

Emma,
me oso see chinese physician b4 preg, and she asked me to continue during preg. So initial 1wk i went to change medicine coz gynea said ok to use chinese herb. But gynea din give vitamin except folid acid. then when i changed to 2nd gynea, his advise is not to take chinese herb since we dont know the ingredients. then gynea gave me vitamins. so i stop taking chinese herbs now. think oso not advisable to take both.

ladies,
this morning after i brush my teeth, i vomit leh. nothing much came out but water only. could this be the beginning of MS?
uhoh.gif

ok, thanx chihiro... i see the pill so small so i take 2... hehe...

tbl... huh... dun scare me leh... i hope i wun kanna MS... btw, who is ur gynae?

<font color="ff6000">tbl,</font>
i always feel nausea, but nv realli vomitted out anything before

berry... hahaha.. its a personal bias lah. i oni hv 1 sis so always longed for an elder bro. so when i think of my kids, i always feel my ger will be v fortunate if she has an elder bro.
happy.gif

TBL, you're in week 6? keke...that's when my MS started too. It started form only nausea, no puking, then week 7-8 graduated to puking countless times a day!

Jen, MS got good and bad. The bad is the suffering, but the good is that you'll constantly be feeling assured that your baby is alright.
800mcg a day is sufficient.

Are, glad u r fine.
happy.gif
We must be vigilant.
My gf abt 1-2 wks ahead of me only, had recent spotting (she never had spotting before), needed hormone jabs and 1 mth MC (public sector ;) so it's ok).

Berry, according to EDD, u r almost 1 mth ahead of me, how come blood tests so late (since it's not the triple test)? U seeing 4 wk interval now, same as me yah? Gynae also told me next visit might see gender, last weekend baby crossed legs lah haha.

Now that I have the baby cot in my nursery... count... wah, need to wait half a year before the baby lying in it, so long! But HB was thrilled- he said he felt so happy looking at the "baby stuff" filling the room haha. I definitely jumped the gun way early, but remember to buy with time to spare- the cot must AIR, cos strong new wood smell!

are,
nvm lah, boi or ger doesn't matter as much as a normal and healthy bb. Like my colleague said, if ger u can hv hor fan as supper nx time when she comes home late. For boy, u will hv to cook for him.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Me too, all sisters family and i too wld love to hv a brother to look after me but I know this kind of thing is realli out of our ctrl.

chihiro,
My MS same as you during my initial mths..hv a strong urge to throw up but nothing comes out. Stuck on my throat and feeling so lousy the whole day.

TBL,
Many a time when I brush my teeth, I oso hv the urge to vomit, dunno issit we brush too inner or wat tat stimulates it.

<font color="ff6000">hi are,</font>
glad u are feeling better now..
happy.gif

ger also gd ... can doll her up !!

btw, y need med to relieve the womb huh?

<font color="ff6000">yingzi,</font>
i feel terrible with tt leh...not in not out ...
sometimes i tink mayb i ate too full liao tts y i got this feeling leh ...

jen, what's the stength of the folic acid you bought?

Mine is 5mg per tablet, and the gynae says to take once a day every morning.

Ladies, my gynae also says not to take herbs that you are not familiar with, esp if you dun know the properties of the herbs.

TBL n Yingzi,
yah my gag reflex more pronounced. Anyway before brushing no food down, so no food out! LOL!
happy.gif

Emma,
it's a blood test taken 2nd trimester to calculate chances of Down Syndrome in kid etc. Gynae will explain and offer as an option- it's ur choice to take or not.

MTx3, actually I'm quite confused about the tests and their names. This blood tests I'm going to do end of this month is the one where they test for Hepetitis(sp??), Aids(wa liao, why would I have aids?!), etc. Is this the triple test? Or triple test is the one that screens for down symdrome? The down symdrome one is the one I'll not be taking, anyway, down symdrome test only given upon request. Yar, I'm seeing 4 week interval.

Plong, mine same folic dosage tablet but twice a day... but I really can't recall if now supposed to take anymore, anyway abit lazy...

Berry, no that's not triple tests- all those u mentioned I tested last Sat lor, additionally blood sugar test since I'm genetically predisposed to diabetes (the doc will recommend based on family medical history so some won't need). Note that the Aids test is optional lah.

Triple test is the Down syndrome odds. Dunno why cannot all at one go, anyway I refuse to be pricked a 2nd round so I am not going for triple test (supposed to be scheduled 2 or 3 wks from now if I wanted to).

MT3... ya lor, gotta be careful i guess. my colleague oni 1 wk ahead of me, bt can feel bb movement liao. i cant, so i tot beter scan to be safe man.

yingzi... haha... i gotta wait @ least 20 yrs for my supper then!
happy.gif
but true lah. my relatives always say my parents v gd life, cos me &amp; sis everything oso think for them 1st.

chihiro... gynea says it cld be premature contraction, so gotta relieve lor. plus i'm v colicky, dun noe whether wind or bb prob.

i oso got MS. bt worse, started frm 4wks. i 'loon' 4 2wks, then cant liao, cos i cant eat, so i go throw. but nothing 1, juz gas oni. bt @ least can eat aft tat. bt like yingzi, throwing makes her feel worse. so hate to tell u tis, u gotta try to see which works for u lor...

Jen,
aiyo, now have mixed feeling lah! like Berry said got good &amp; bad, coz tat shld means bb is alright. but hor, this morning only vomit a bit alr feel very bad liao. the feeling is really yucks! hope it won't get more serious.
btw my gynea is Dr Vincent Lee from located @ sengkang compass point, Raffles women clinic under Raffles hospital.

MTx3.... envy u can buy bb cot liao..
happy.gif
can't wait to see myself @ 2nd tri then can start prepare bb's things.

Plong, yar, its best to avoid most herbs. So far, I'll only be sticking to cordyceps and birds nest. Nothing more.

Last Sunday my MIL cooked ginseng and chicken soup with huai san. I drank two bowls cause I feel bad to reject the effort she took to cook it. I felt so anxious for the whole night after we went home, cause I remember reading that ginseng and huai san is not suitable for preggies to take. Called up gynea's office yesterday and was told that its fine cause I'm already in 2nd tri, but I should not touch these two herbs (esp ginseng) again. Whewww!!

Are, then you must rest more.

tbl, i started nausea in wk7. No vomit yet. It helps to cut down on dairy products on days when you feel nausea/vomit.

The NORMAL blood test they check for Hep, blood count (includes possibility of Thalessemia) and so on.

The additional blood sugar test (which gynae will recommend based on family genetic history) is when they take urine sample and blood sample after overnight fasting. Then give u this horribly sweet drink (chey, if must be sweet can at least choose something nicer to drink what!) and take urine sample and blood sample again after 2 hrs to see how u process the sugary drink, check if u have diabetes. Another POSSIBLE symptom of diabetes in mother is abnormally large baby... in which case some people say baby might be predisposed to obesity and other problems later on in life.
Diet control is mainly restriction of carbs, like rice *SOB SOB, my FAVE!* and sugars and weight control and mild exercise like strolling after a meal. Sigh.

Ok that's all I know liao. :p

MTx3, I mentioned to the nurse I dun need to take the aids test, but she said doesnt matter, cause only draw blood once, test for everything at the same time.

My hubby's friends has some baby items including cot to pass to us. But I'm not sure if I want it. Pro is of course to save $, but I'm not sure I want baby to sleep in a 2nd hand bed.
Aiyo, last weekend we were having tea with some friends, and thru conversation I realised that if I had chosen KK instead of private hosp, we'll probably pay next to nothing for delivery! Cause hubby is a civil servant and his peer's wives' delivery bills are all very heavily subsidised(read: almost free!). Huby never mentioned a word about this to me, so I presumed all this while that the subsidy is only a little.

Berry, i read that ginseng cannot. but is it true huai shan also cannot? Isn't this herb meant to improve digestive system? I ate a few times liao
sad.gif

<font color="ff6000">are</font>
i c
we can experience contractions so early?
is there a reason y?

<font color="ff6000">berry</font>
so is it too late for you to switch now?

MT3,

your baby cot delivered liao..so early, but nice idea to prepare for baby arrival early, at least not so panicky nearer to the date.

me also seeing gynae 4 weeks interval liao...from week 4 to week 12, i see him twice a wekk for jab! finally jabs over, phew!

my next scan at week 16, hopefully can see baby gender also.

joyful, other herbs I'm not sure, but I'm 100% sure huai san &amp; ginseng cannot be taken during pregnancy. I even call up eu yang sang and horsebrand to check, Both shops, as well as the nurse at my gynea's office, says the same thing. Huai san is a very good herb under normal circumstances, but not during pregnancy (esp crucial in first tri). The 'safe' ones are the common red dates and wolfberries(gou qi zi).

chiriro, I read that one of the reasons for preggies to experience premature contractions is when they take the wrong kind of herbs (I think enchinacea and ginseng causes that as well). As for other reasons, I'm not so sure.
My hubby dun wan me to switch gynea (my gubea delivers only at TMC and alvernia) due to continuity factor. Also, we've both heard damn jia lat stories about KK, so he's v worried that I'l be 'ill-treated' there, esp this is our first child. LOL.

Berry, haha, I think they charge u more for Aids test, cos my bill increased when I requested for it (my logic being same as ur nurse- since they are drawing blood already, one shot finish all tests pls!)

I think no probs with 2nd-hand bed, baby wouldn't know. And my this new cot hor, so strong "new" smell (I suspect the varnish and so on) that even in same room I can smell it. Not good for baby to be exposed to such smells I feel, especially since they are going to be IN the cot. So 2nd-hand cot advantage is the smell completely removed. ;)

Sigh, that day read newspaper article abt abandoned babies in Pakistan I think (where the mums are usually poor and victims of rape and due to religious and social norms cannot keep the baby lest they be stoned or something). The accompanying picture showed an orphanage with cots with MISSING SIDES. Just rusty steel cots with rope anyhow twined round the sides, no such thing as regulations how thick the gaps to be. Heartbreaking.

Just got phonecall! Blood result out- I have NO diabetes, phew. Not sure abt hep and others, shoot, I forgot to ask, duh! But some infection they need urine sample to test again. Hmmm. *mental note to buy more cranberry juice!*

Ah...so confusing...how come like all of a sudden got so much test. I always tot onli hv the triple test. Anyway if needed, then I will go for it.

MTMTMT,
Ya tat's fast..we went to see a few bb cots but din buy, reckon it's too early. Thinking of buying onli later stage, else now cannot put on the bedding yet (afraid will be dusty) then just the wooden plank like veri empty.

Are,
U must be extra careful since the gynae oredy expresses his displeasure over such symptoms. Think u need more rest, maybe too much movement oredy.

For those having nausea now, initially when mine was real bad, I abstain from taking dairy products and eating too full. Small frequent meal helps and for me, thinking red ginger is useful too. Oh, can't even swallow water, so I took milo, ribena. U just hv to find ways to curb it else will feel veri miserable.

Micky, yah I'm full of admiration for ur jabs... I am so hopeless next to u. Take blood sample only like some huge drama.
I find I'm getting lazier and lazier with time, so better for me to prepare earlier, before my metabolism trickles down to a crawl haha.

chihiro, berry... i oso dun noe y cos gynea din say. bt i suspect its cos i always hv wind prob lor.

yingzi... ya, gynea says to rest well. was supposed to be on MC today bt i said its ok lah, stay @ hm so sian oso, since i dun really move ard in office. gotta be kwai liao, somemore sat woke up @ 5am to go watch sunrise w hubby.
happy.gif
hehehe... bo liao ppl do bo liao things...

MT3... congrats! my colleague oso worrying now cos she had diabetes 4 her 1st pregnancy &amp; to her it was so terrible! but like i told her, do watch out for durian hor, think the sugar content is v hi.

toking abt durians... berry, when's our m'sia durians coming out har??? i cant wait leh...
happy.gif

Yingzi, the bedding and mattress all still in plastic, am not going to remove so early. Just want to air the cot frame itself (mine is wood). And rearrange the furniture to my liking to start decorating. Anyone knows how to draw a tree and a rainbow on the wall for me? LOL!

Damn, now I'm worried whether I am all-clear for EVERYTHING incl. hep and thalessemia or just no diabetes? Aiyoh, am so blurhead.

berry
my hub also civil servant, in fact we are both civil servant. But so far he said not heavily subsidised only partial like 85% and 15% not sure also.
I also dilemna not sure KK or other private hosp

MT3... me oso like u, blood test = drama. i usually cant move my hand for a day one, cos veins v small, doc always scold then take. worse if its unfamiliar nurse/doc.

who noes... i kena dengue b4 my wedding last yr, had to take 1 full big tube EVERY DAY 4 2 wks!!! it was really torture man, but i find tat not looking really helps heaps. it sorts of 'lessen' the pain, a lil i guess.
happy.gif

MTx3, actually, for the cot, I'm more concerned about hygiene and safety than looks. I guess can always get a good new mattress for the cot.
Huh.. if must pay more then I wun do the Hepetits and Aids test, no point doing tests if I already know the results.
BTW, if you dun have diabetes, then why is your baby bigger than expected? Or are you just one week later than expected?

yingzi, the triple test that screens for down symdrome if not a required test, its by personal option. I think the normal blood test is the required one.

joyful, I'm not sure of chinese name for echinnacea, sorry. Oh yar, one more thing to avoid- Dang Gui. My gynea's office nurse told me that dang gui can cause heavy bleeding in the cervix or premature dilated cervix in later months if preggues take it. So everyone, NO dang gui at all!

MT,

Don't admire the jabs lar. I see the needle I also scare scare....

thinking abt the smell of wood, i think good idea to buy few mths b4 baby due, so that the cot can be aired..then when baby comes, no smell liao..

Berry,
I think with cleaning it'd be fine, just like new cot also must clean.

Safety, can ask her WHEN she bought it, if it's recent yrs it's safe, if it's like 10yrs ago then safety regulations have changed since I think.

If it's concern about wear-and-tear of safety parts, test lor. Quite sturdy, anyway the cot is disassembled already, ur HB needs to reassemble again right? Just tighten the screws and so on.

Must always get new mattress with each baby, or so I read.

No, no, u pay more for the optional Aids test only, the rest should be included in ur gynae package.

Hep and so on is part of the normal round of tests and I recommend u take them. Anyway, according to my book, better to know than not, cos certain procedures/ measures can be then taken to safeguard baby and mum.

I dunno why baby is suddenly 1 wk bigger than expected? Anyway gynae said the scan is +- 8 days which is 1 wk so I suppose... I've just been eating too much? LOL!

Recap the types of blood tests as far as I know,
* normal hep, blood count etc (everyone takes it)
* additional blood sugar (if medical history warrants)
* optional Aids test (personal choice)
* triple test (personal choice)

TBL, so you are going to raffles hospital to deliver? is there any packages? how much is ur consultation per visit?
happy.gif

Berry,
actually I think if ur eligible for heavy subsidy, wah, should take advantage :p There's a Premium service for KKH, supposed to be very good- only the one gynae chosen touches u!

I would have chosen KKH Premium if it weren't supposedly alot more ex than pte hospitals. (Actually I haven't done any cost comparison, just hearsay). And also cos Eastshore is nearer my mum's place where I'd be moving to in final mth as well as confinement mth (our home has squatpan toilet leh... wait... u know, haha!).

<font color="aa00aa">pets,</font>
nope, dun think i feel bb movement yet. it's still too early. i'm only wk 15. for 1st pregnancy, normally will feel ard wk 20, though some say they can feel at wk 18 (but not many lah). for 2nd pregnancy, then slightly early lor.

<font color="aa00aa">chihiro,</font>
yup, seeing him mth end. 27 Apr, juz realised it's a Tues as well
happy.gif

Jen.... i've not decide which hospital to deliver. but under this gynea there are few places to chose from: raffles hosp/MtA/TMC etc. as for consultation fee, each time is $50 &amp; abv. $50 is consultation, then if got medicine/ jab then to add lah!
The gynea is quite gentle and detail. In fact he spend time to draw picture to explain to hubby &amp; me for those things that we dun understand. and of course the location is convenient to me coz i stay in punggol21.

<font color="ff6000">angelia,</font>
seems like i will be seeing him again tt wk too
can't see him on monday coz im not back from krabi yet..
prob will arrange tues too coz i tink its impt to see how bb is doing after my trip.. unless im too tired then will arrange on another day lor...
happy.gif

tbl, i am staying in sk area so i do think a gynae there will be convenient... aiyah... dunno how to choose a gynae... dunno how man... jia lat...

Jen... u can ask around, friends or family lor. Or the ladies here? any recommendation for Jen?
Personnally i think my gynea not bad as i feel ease to ask him questions. Also heard Dr Adrian @ SK, just beside the mrt oso not bad. if i'm not wrong Chihiro &amp; Angelia are visiting Dr Adrian.

tbl, i think i may make an appointment with plong's gynae... cos we may be choosing KKH after all... anyone else is under dr chris chong?

jen, i think this thread dun have but there are other mothers / expecting ladies in the forum who are seeing Dr Chong.

When are you going? I'm going again next thurs 22 April.

Back