(2004/02) February Babes

my boy was born on Valentine's Day :) few days go he tend to push his head forward when he is in the front facing position when we carry him.

My baby is 'rotating' in the cot as she sleeps. Has not tried to flip onto her tummy yet.

hi vanessa!
I read that you were under dr koh right? Me too. And I gave birth on 15 Feb. Where did u give birth? I delivered in TMC.

pink_tulip,
yar i'm was under Dr Koh. my boy was delivered at Mt A. was admitted on the 13th Feb evening, delivered at 14/02 12.35am...

Hi Vanessa,

My boy is also a valentine bb
happy.gif
I was also admitted on 13 Feb but in TMC and my boy arrived at abt 1am by emergency C-section.

Jordan doesn't do when your boy is doing tho he loves to kick very hard when he is lying down such that he will move backwards. Now he is in the hand regard stage and loves sucking his hands
happy.gif

Hi Pink,

My bb also hasn't flipped yet. I read somewhere most bbs flip ard 5MO but my fren's bb flipped at 3MO. Wonder when he will flip.

Now it's very difficult to feed him cos he always wanna play.

I'm looking forward to next month when he can start on rice cereal
happy.gif

bluebellas,
yar same here, my boy keeps putting his fingers into his mouth... but i always pullit out whenever i see it, can be every second but i always pull it out, no choice dun wish to see tis as an habit. cos the more he suck the more awake, so he cant sleep. until now still got to swaddle him at nite.

cos my boy is on TBF now, so i intend to introduce formula milk to him ard his 5th month, then the 6th month then start semi-solid. unless milk cant keep him full then i might introduce earlier. i'm bringing him for his 1st 5-in-1 jab 2day. hope he dont feel sick or fuss aft tat...

bluebellas,
4got to add on, our son seems like the real "3rd party" cos birthday also must be on Valentine's Day... my hubby so happy cos can save money, 2 celebration in 1 day. but was wondering who will be available to come for bb's birthday on tat day? *sigh*

Hi Van,

I prefer to let my boy suck on his hands, I think it's just a phase that he will go thru and it's better than having him suck on other things. Nowadays he wans to lick everything he can see, even his toys. If I let him lie down sideways on a pillow, he will bury himself in the pillow and lick it!

Wow, you are still tbf, that's great! My boy is on formula and he's going for his 1st 5in1 tomorrow. I also hope he won't get cranky. Btw, why din you take the 6in1?

Hey, men will be men, my hubby also say like that can save money and no need to celebrate so many events
sad.gif

bluebellas,
my boy had his jab at the polyclinic. so at the moment, they dun have 6-in-1. n also since he already has 2 doses of Hep B jab, so dun think have much diff liao. anyway 2day went polyclinic we opt for the Rota Research Program by GSK. once we take part in their study, they will sponsor the 5-in-1 jabs. my hubby was thinking no harm loh since they r in the final stage of the research, n also in the meantime bb can get additional immunisation against Rota virus - which is very serious stomach upset.

hi mummies,
My gal was born on 18 Feb
happy.gif

Vanessa,
how much does it cost to get the jab at Polyclinic? Mine cost $82 (exclude consultation), was wondering how much cheaper it is to get from polyclinic.

my gal oso likes to put her hands in her mouth and suck/eat all the times. I bought her a teether (ya, I now it is kinda early), jus introducing it to her and let her learn how to hold it
happy.gif

I am a kiasu mummy, I always intro/teach my gal new things. I always "speak" a same language to her (e, ya, ya, ya...). So far, she can rem and smile at me whenever I "say" dat to her.

pink_tulip,
same here, my gal likes to "rotate". We were amazed how she can lie on 12 o'clock position and awhile later, she is in 3.45pm position. So far, she only "rotate" in clockwise. She likes to use her legs to push herself upwards too.

bluebell,
your boy has a pillow, my gal has a bolster. She like to "eat" her bolster. hahaha...babies are so cute rite?

miu,
for the hep b jab, it cost $10, doctor assessment $4. so total $14 for his 1st visit at 1st month.
for the 5-in-1 jab, its a package. $290 something for 3rd, 4th, 5th n 18th month booster. for my case, as i mention earlier, we took the Rota Study Program, so Glaxco Smith Kline sponsored all the 5-in-1 jabs. so i didnt pay a single cent yesterday.
i also v kiasu :) bought the pigeon teether for my boy already, cos want to let him practice grab things. usually when i leave my boy on my bed, next min i will see him moved to the centre of the bed liao, kick n kick move 2wards the centre...
so poor thing 2day, can see tat he is not feeling good, but he still "ren3" didnt fuss much.

vanessa,
Hey! dat is gd to be involve in the study program. Wat do your boy has to do in the study program?

Should we compile a list of our bbs' names?

miu-debbie/G
bluebel-jordan/B

bluebell,
did I get your boy's name rite? Sorry other Feb mummies, I only see bluebell's bb name so I can only put hers.

Miu,
for the study program, my boy got to take 2 doses of oral vaccine - 1 taken yesterday (3rd mth), another next visit (4th mth). aft tat juz got to go back on his 12th & 24th mth for review visit. actually i dun feel quite comfortable with it cos i find tat my son seems like a guinea pig... but my hubby thinks tat its ok since its already in the final stage of the research.

miu-debbie/G
bluebel-jordan/B
van-avos/B

Dear Pink Tulip & Vanessa,
My baby was delivered by Dr Koh on 28 Feb morning. He has not flipped yet. He likes to suck his finger and drools sometimes. I am thinking of giving him brown rice 'bee gor' in his fourth month. Any comments?

Miu, Add my baby's name too. His name is Ernest.

Miu/Helen
I've added in my boy's name. Added in for u too.
happy.gif
Seems like there are more boys born in Feb.

miu-debbie/G
bluebel-jordan/B
van-avos/B
Helan-Ernest/B
Desert-Ivan/B

Helen
My mum just fed my boy bee gor mixed with milk formula yesterday. It seems like he likes it, coz he does not fuss much when drinking.

Desert,

Yes, I think there are more boys in Feb, even the nurse said so when I gave birth
happy.gif

Hi helen,

Jordan hasn't flipped yet too. The PD says on average bb shd flip at 4 months.

Van,

I bought 3 teether for Jordan liao ...hehehe...now he always like to grab his Tigger stuff toy and use his legs to push it towards his mouth when we put tigger on his tummy. Somehow, he likes to lick everything else except drink his milk...sigh...

Avos very "guai" hor, din fuss much...
happy.gif

Jordan had his 4in1 jap plus oral vaccine for polio yesterday. The PD says this way of giving the vaccines is less likely to cause fever. Consultation is cheap at $25 but total we pay $128 which seems a little ex...since Miu only paid $82...

Desert,
Thanks!Your boy is 3 months and you are feeding him bee gor? When does he drink milk then?
Bluebell,
Ernest hasn't flipped yet but he is able to turn to one side.

Hi Helen,

My boy refuse to flip when I put him on a level surface but when placed on an adult pillow, he likes to turn and bury his face into it and try to flip. I think he's trying to lick the pillow...sigh...

Hi Desert,

where you get the bee gor huh?

so glad tat Avos back to his usual self 2day - he did his karate kick during tis morning bath, he was so "stone" yesterday.

bluebellas,
yar he rarely cry since birth. unless he's really uncomfortable n in pain. usually he juz "fake cry", got sound but no tears. tis is wat i'm thankful for.

desert,
so fast Ivan takes semi-solid liao ah? i intend to wean Avos from BM ard 5th mth, then introduce semi-solid ard 6th mth. unless milk cant satisfy him.

Avos lazy to turn. unless we put him on his tummy, then he'll try to turn back. maybe he dun like to be on his tummy.

morning mummies,

Wow! Feb really got more boys.

bluebell,
the way you describe your boy is also exactly wat my gal did, when we give her, her bolster, she would use her legs to grab and then push it till her hands can grab it and then use her hands to pull the bolster to her mouth.

Hi Feb mummies

Ya, my gal also puts her hand (and whatever she manages to grab i.e. bolster, handkerchief...)into her mouth. She has also started drooling considerably.

Helen, if your baby is on TBF, then wait till 6 months then wean. If now on formula or mixed, then can begin at 4 months of age.
happy.gif

Bluebell
Mine also very playful now. While bfg, she will at times let go and smile at me. So now it takes longer to feed her.
happy.gif

Miu
My baby is a girl and her name is Dorcas. And she rotates in anti-clockwise direction!
happy.gif

She did not get fever after the vaccine. Perhaps because I gave her 'yang sen' water the day before the vaccine (but that caused her to have watery stools the next day, wonder if it was too cooling for baby). I also opted for the 4-in-1 and oral polio. So Bluebell, your PD said this kind of vaccine less likely to get fever?

Hi again

How many naps are your babies taking now? How long per nap? My gal's sleeping pattern is like this:
Nap #1 9.30 - 11.30/12
Nap #2 2.00 - 3.30/4
Nap #3 Betw 5 - 6 p.m. another 30 - 45 min nap
Bedtime 8.00/8.30 p.m. - 8.00 a.m.

Is she sleeping too much? She drinks well and is gaining weight well. But I wonder if she is not PLAYING enough...

Thanks!

Pink Tulip,
Why must I wait till he is 6 months before I put him on semi-solid diet? I intend to feed him milk while giving him semi-solid food.

Hi Pink,

Yes, Jordan is very playful now. He wans to play even when he is tired and this makes him cranky. We have to rock him and force him to sleep, otherwise he won't take his milk. So now our kids are going thru the "everything looks yummy" stage...hehehe

Yes, my pd say he has been giving out 4in1 + oral polio and thruout his yrs of experience, none of his patients got fever. Jordan only screamed during the injection, after that like nothing happened (touchwood)
happy.gif

Hi Pink again,

Wah, your gal can sleep from 8pm to 8am ah...so envious. eh, I dunno if she is sleeping enuf cos for Jordan he gets his milk every 3-4 hourly and after feed he will play for abt an hour or so and then nap. Maybe he sleeps too much in the day that's why nite time will wake up
sad.gif

Helen of Troy

Hi

If baby is on TBF, then we should introduce semi solids later (at 6 months) so that she gets the full benefits of BM. Once we introduce semi solids, some milk feeds will be replaced and so she will not get as much BM, which is very good for the baby.

But if baby is now on formula, or mixed feeding, then can introduce at 4 months.

That's what I learned.

Bluebell
Hi
My gal is the opposite. She does NOT want to play when she is tired! She will look away, not smile, and even struggle when I carry her.

Very glad to hear that the 4-in-1 + Oral Polio is good for not causing fever.
happy.gif
Next month, I will experiment. Dun give the yang sen water (which I think caused the diarrhoea...) and then see how.

Eh... so you don't think my gal is sleeping too much? I think she sleeps a lot leh! That's why posted her sleeping pattern to ask you all for opinion. So ok lah, she is not sleeping too much (if there is such a thing as "sleeping too much"...ha..ha..). Yes, she is also like Jordan. After being fed, will play for about 1.5h then nap.

Oh she goes to bed at around 8 p.m. but she gets another feed at 10+. At 5 a.m. she will wake for a feed. Then she will sleep till 8 a.m.

Hi,

My boy is on born on 24 feb. His name is Xavier. He is taking his first 5-in-1 jab next month bcos he took his first hep B jab after 1 month of his birth. So, all his jabs are pushed 1 month later.
He also turns when he sleep. During the day, he is usually very active n chatty. My boy's weight is about 6kg now and drinking 4 n 1/2 oz. Is it alot? My hubby keeps saying that he drink too much while my mum says that every week should add about 1/2 oz.:p

Pink_tulip,

I heard that baby grows when they r sleeping. So dun worry.

Bluebell
Aiyoh, my boy one wk more to 4 mths and he still have not flipped. He dun like to lie down, always wants to be carried upright.
My mum made the bee gor herself. She bot si shen fr medical hall and brown rice, sun and grind it. There are ready made ones in a tin @ NTUC.

Helen
I bf him most of the time. My mum feeds him a bottle of formula every evening. But he fuss a lot and always refuse to drink. My mum has been telling me to add some bee gor into his milk fr 3 mths. I finally agreed to let her try, coz still got 1 wk more to 4 mths. My mum just added 2 teaspoon of bee gor into his milk, and he did not fuss and actually finish the feed.

Van
I intend to just let him hv a taste of the bee gor mixed with milk for 2 wks 1st. Then, after vist to PD, will feed him rice cereal fr spoon.

Pink tulip/Helen
Actually whether the bb on tbf or formula, the time to introduce solids is when they can hv head support, lose the tongue thrust effect and milk cannot satisfy them any longer. This usually happens between 4 to 6 mths. At 4 mths, most will start feeding bb one or 2 teaspoons of rice cereal to introduce solids to them.
For my case, my mum has been pestering me to add in the bee gor, so I just let her be, even though solids shd not be introduced in a bottle, since she takes so much effort to make the bee gor.

Hi Soon,

How often does your bb drink? My PD says now bb shd be drinking abt 4-5 oz per 4 hours.

Ya, Pink, a lot of old folks believe bb grows when they sleep
happy.gif

Hi desert,

Dun worry. My fren's bb flipped at 5MO. Each bb is different but did he try to turn? Yesterday Jordan did a half flip so I thot he wanted me to help him. I pushed him over he cried...aiyoh, very pek chek. And yes, he always want to sit or be carried upright. Lie down only scream. Wonder if now is a good time to discipline him.

hi Desert,

Sorry for intruding, just happened to c ur posting. My boy is reaching 5 mths this Sun and still can't turn leh. So dun worry hor, I think our boys like to take thgs slowly. i think he got this trait from his dad while I'm e gan cheong queen...

hi bluebell,

He drinks every 3-4hours.But sometimes after 2 hours he would start to make noise. He also drinks water in between his feed.

Dear Feb mummies,
My coming-to-12 weeks baby drinks every 2-3 hrs. He is also very impatient and cries loudly when milk is not given to him on time. He is on TBF. I am thinking of giving him brown rice and cereal when he turns 4 months.I wonder if the brown rice will help him to be fuller and make him happier. He is very cute and happy when he is full and has enough sleep (I guess all babies are like this!).

hi feb mummies,
hubby told me my gal flipped yesterday
happy.gif

was so happy to learn dat she flipped (but only once, hubby said she look exhausted from the flip).

Pink-tulip,
wow...you bb sure sleep alot. Mine is totally the opposite, she wants to play all the time (she is a attention seeker). She sleeps at 10-11pm++ everynite. Luckily my MIL is the one who can carry her to sleep otherwise I dunno wat to do...

miu-debbie/G
bluebel-jordan/B
van-avos/B
Helan-Ernest/B
Desert-Ivan/B
Pink_tulip-Dorcas/G
Koko-Xavier/B

Really more boys than gals ya?

desert
Yes, I agree with you about weaning babies when they are able to sit up with support with head up, lose the tongue thrusting reflex and when nutrients from milk is not sufficient to support their growth.

The reason why I shared that with Helen was that I learned from a nurse that babies who are on total bm should continue till 6 months cos once babies start taking semi solids, their milk intake will decrease, this taking less bm. I think can start weaning at 4 months too (that's the usual time babies are weaned) but the baby will get less bm lor. I was about to wean my then on TBF baby at 4 months. When I went for the jab at 4 months, the nurse asked me what the baby's diet was like. I told her I was going to introduce solids. She discouraged me and told me since she was on total bm, no hurry to wean. Let her get two more months of bm alone. So i did.

Helen
my gal used to drink about 2.5 - 3 hourly. As she grows, she is stretching her feeding interval to 3.5 - 4 hourly now.

Thanks, koko and bluebell.

Bluebell
so your jordan trying to flip? Got take pics?

Miu
Wow, your gal flipped already!! One of her first achievements?!! Must take pics ya!

halo feb mommies,
Avos is drinking every 3-4 hour. he's still on TBF, so usually i latch him on. but occasionally i'll give him EBM to train him use bottle. normally drinks 4 - 4.5 oz. sometimes i'll give him water shld he fuss too early for his next feed.

bluebellas,
how is Jordan aft the jab? Avos so bad tis few nites. usually he sleep ard 10pm, then wake up ard 4am for feed, then continue sleep until 7+. but tis few nites wake up at 2+, juz cry until so "kelian" dunno wat happen like tat.

i think every baby's stomach has "different capacity". as long the bb is growing well how much they drink or how frequency they drink its ok. Avos has been drinking the same amt of milk since 1.5mths. now he is already double of his birth weight.

Pink Tulip,
I thought that when baby grows older, they may drink fewer times but they drink more at each feed? In this way, they are not drinking less milk.

Hi Vanessa,

Oh dear, could it be due to the jab cos you said he had fever rite? You tried putting some Ruyi Oil on his tummy?

So far Jordan's ok after his jab but yesterday nite he vomited out all his milk. He was sleeping soundly then suddenly cry and we couldn't soothe him, then suddenly vomitted but I dun think is because of the jab.

Hi Pink,

No, din take any pics cos I din dare to walk away in case he flipped. He always give me false hopes...hehehe...

Hi Miu,

Congrats!! Remember to take pics
happy.gif

Hi Koko,

Maybe you can give him some water if he fuss after 2 hours.

Hi bluebellas,
no idea wat causes his nightwakings. his fever subsided on the same day it came - which was sunday. yesterday whole day no fever liao. everyday i apply ruyi oil for him 2x a day - aft morning bath n evening sponge bath. dun think its due to wind & hunger, cos once he wake up ard 2am, i'll put him in the rocker, he will cry juz for like 15mins then get back to sleep again. or maybe the jab really makes them feel uncomfortable?

hi koko,
i took a peep at Xavier's pix :) he's v cute n looks v alert.

helen,
i guess wat pink_tulip is trying to say when bb takes semi-solid for tat particular feeding time, they wun take milk at tat time already, so less BM. i read from somewhere tat BM has all the nutrients bb needs for the 1st 6 mths, so they can juz take BM exclusively up to 6mths. aft 6 mths can try introduce semi-solid for other nutrients. also read tat 1st sign of bb ready for semi-solid is his / her weight is double of birth weight. aft tat can watch out for other signs as mentioned, sit up with support, etc.

Hi Vanessa!

Yes, you got my idea! That's what I meant.
happy.gif

Helen

When baby starts semi-solids, one or two milk feeds will be replaced (by the cereal/bee gor/ porridge)right? Then baby will then take less bm. Also since semi solids are more filling, baby may also take a bit lesser at the following milk feed.

That is why if a mum is breastfeeding baby and not giving any formula (TBF), she is encouraged to continue breastfeeding till baby is 6 months old before starting baby on semi solids.
happy.gif

Today my gal not her usual self. She was more fussy. Perhaps because she slept late the night before (instead of 8+ she slept at 10+ cos we took her out).

Van/Tulip
I understand what u mean abt bf for 6 mths. I read in the bks that it is best to watch ur bb, rather than fixing a date to wean him/her, when ur bb starts to show tt bm no longer satisfy him/her, then u can starts to introduce solids.
For my case, I am not doing it the rt way lah. PD says will teach me to feed him solids at 4th mth appt, so I think I will start him then.

Hi feb mummies,
I guess my Ernest is the youngest baby here cos he was born on 28 Feb. He likes people to talk and play with him. He dislikes sitting in his stroller and likes to be carried the right way up. Anyone of your babies display such behaviour?

Hi Mummies,

Helen,

My boy is just like Ernest. Nowadays he likes to sit up. How to practise his flip if he dun want to lie down...sigh...

Yesterday we put him to lie down on the bed and he started fussing so we just quietly hide ourselves and the noti boy realised no one was ard, he started playing by himself. We are gonna try this experiment again to see if he is just fussing b/c there is someone ard.

Hi Van,

That happened to my boy before. Wake up every 2 hours in the night just to cry. My fren said he could have been over-stimulated in the day.

Helen,
Avos used to hate pram as well, i believe cant see anything. but once i try to recline the seat a little bit, so he can see thing, n till now he'll look ard until he tired n doze off on his own. tho he fuss abit, cos ppl carry more comfy, but i let him make abit of noise, few times of fussing, he's now happily out "kai kai" either in stroller or sling.

Back