(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

oh I am not aware no more textbooks ! wat is STELLAR ? mind to explain ? I think my gal is prepared for P1 but I wan to prepare her for PSLE :p I KS... I am on waiting list to another better sch.

No textbooks used for English, instead shall be using Big books (story books). YOu may want to refer to this link for further info.
http://www.stellarliteracy.sg/
So far I see my son's lesson are base on the BIG books and their activities are worksheet-based according to the titles they've studied. they are in Cloze passage, open-ended qns type.
happy.gif

Hi Chaye,

My boy is in 1/4. I am quite ok with the things you mention. So I have no issue with them at all.. BTW, which school are you on waitlist?

I've waitlist her with Anderson Pri... see how it goes la... May or may not send her there even have slot cos hubby say must take school bus so mafan whereas JS is just opp us :p

Hi Nat,
Thanks 4 e informative website on STELLAR. Looks interesting!
happy.gif

I heard Jx's sch had already started STELLAR this yr, but dint know anything abt it. Dint know it'a going to b compulsory 4 all sch fr 2010. Luckily they joined the pilot, as the website said it expects the teachers to take 2yrs to internalise it.
His sch is also having test during orientation. Think the weaker kids will b identified for preparatory classes during dec hols. Sounds stressful. Yet to start sch, already need extra help. But guess at least have some time to catch up prior to the hectic sch days.

Hmmm...r we talking abt the same sch?? He is going to Nan Chiau Pri. Your kids'?

Hi Chaye,
I also prefer grouping the kids by strength so that theoretically, each class can teach at different pace. But end of day, all kids r sitting for the same exam, so i think the pace is most likely the same, or worse, even more hectic 4 weaker classes w extra lessons to catch up. Sigh~I really don't like our educational system but what to do? Stuck here unless hubby is posted overseas. But then, that has its own set of problems too. So can only try our best to help our kids survive in the system.
So sianz!
Btw, is the P1 & 2 exam scraped in 2010?

Hi vamiga,
think this STELLAR prog started for all, if not most, P1 this year. My son is having it this year. he's also having exam this year, so not sure next yr 2010 exams will be scraped not... My kid is not in Nan Chiau. He is (and my girl shall be) in a neighbourhood sch, Sembawang Pri.
happy.gif

Hi natellehcim

I have not really studied the stellar clearly yet... let see if JS is using this system.

Hi Vamiga
It's just MOE guidelines to have exam for P1 & P2 scrapped but doesnt mean all schools must follow. Many schools are still giving exams to their P1 & P2.

hi mummies,

any good recommendations of japanese restaurants?
one that serves good food and pro-family if possible as got a hyperactive one yo...
lol.gif

Just attended my son's K2 Graduation Concert 2 days ago. There were 4 selected representatives who gave a 3-minute graduation speech in 4 languages. We were impressed that the 6 year old kids could memorise and recite their speech on stage, in front of so many people. And I subsequently found out that even my boy, who was not one of the rep, can memorise the lenghty speech! This shows that they must have put in a lot of time and effort to prepare for the concert which comprised of interesting performances with complicated dance steps. Kids these days are so amazing!

Jesschan,

thanks for the recommendation! will consider Ma maison... never been there before =)

I agree children these days are amazing! they are like sponges, absorb readily and always hunger for new knowledge. which school is ur son going?

thanks for the stellar literacy website.

my boy will be enrolled in rivervale primary school next yr.

any kids gog to the same school? my boy also gog to 1F (is it last class?) ... when we opened the letter, me and my hb frowned.... then i explained to my boy... he gog to 1-F class, meaning 1st Fantastic Class! hahahaha....

hi can any mummy whose kid is going pri 1 next yr share which maths book the sch uses?

i enrolled in canberra pri and was told that they uses discovery maths which few people have told me that seldom sch uses discovery maths, usually is MY PAL or SHAPING MATHS.

Any mummy who has child already in primary sch has comments on these 3 types of maths textbooks?

thanks.

hi sunny, my kid in Sembawang Pri, using My Pals are Here! Don't worry about these different types. They are all covering the same topics and syllabus according to the MOE.

Hi sunny/natellehcim

how do u all know that your sch is using My Pals or wat ? by looking at the maths textbooks izit ?

Hi Chaye,
ya, the textbooks title tell us so. I was given the book list to purchase teh books. And my elder boy is in P1 next yr, same sch as my girl going to attend next yr, so I know
happy.gif

Oh I better go back and check the books again cos my hubby in charge to Q to buy books while I Q to settle her uniform & shoes. He didnt buy everyting in the list. He only bot the basic stuff. I wonder is it necessary to buy all too.

I have following to give away. Not for fuzzy mums.

1) Eng text P1A & B - In Step
2) Maths text P1A & B - My Pals are Here
3) New Primary Chinese P1 A & B
All with plastic covers. Collection at CCK or Yew Tee

Pls PM me if interested

I have too many Eng assessment books.

Would like to let go below at $5 (brand new)
Comprehension Graphic Stimulus Cloze
P1 by Learners
Populat price $6.30

Pls pm me if interested

hi Vamiga

know of any comments on using discovery maths from anyone, i jus heard that seldom sch uses this discovery maths.

what about english any textbooks? ours no textbooks at all.

Chaye, I bought most of the books in the list. There's one optional part at the end of the booklist, I was still thinking if want to buy or not. I check with you, the school gave us the giro form when we're in the classroom. It says we need to input the account no., is it to input our bank account no. Or???

Ya it's to input our account no for their deduction of the monthly school fees. I asked the HOD whether can we use the CDA account for payment of sch fees but they hv no idea at all wor.

Hi Sunny,
No textbk for STELLAR program.
Heard there's something call Big Book used in sch & worksheets etc kept by sch.
We have to buy a Grammar Handbook & Comprehension guide tho 4 english tho.

I guess Discovery is pretty new?
His sch just switched fr My Pal to it for 2010.
So no comment fr any1 i know.
I flipped the bk, find it quite easy, except for the number bonding part, which i find it tedious to b so explicit when it's something that we shld internalised when learning maths.

Hi chaye,
Can't use CDA but there is a Edusave acc ($200 by Govt) that can b used for sch's enrichment programs etc (part 2 of the giro form).

Hi Isabella,
I dint buy the optional items (colour pencils, crayons & dictionaries). What r on your optional list?

Ladies,
Plse support Jx & Jb (by clicking "LIKE") & also join the contest lah~
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=139593&id=186174346850&page=3#/photo.php?pid=3606531&id=186174346850
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=139593&id=186174346850&page=3#/photo.php?pid=3606828&id=186174346850&fbid=193138841850
Thanks!!
happy.gif

Hi vamiga

it's some extra story books and stuff.. Sry if you did wrote in this thread but I missed it, which school is ur child in???

Hi Isabella,
Wow, stories bks in bk list!
Think i wont bother unless teachers specifically ask 4 it later on. I support the national library board.
hahahaa...
Jx is in Nan Chiau.

Woo~ Nan Chiau..

You must have a hard time waiting for the balloting result there? My nephew is also in Nan Chiau. During his time, even those within 1 KM have to ballot...

Hi all mummies,
Long time did not join this thread.

I am so nervous. My gal is attending P1 today.
She keeps telling me that she don't know how to go to the toilet. Meaning, she don't know where the location of toilet and don't dare to ask for permission.

Hi Yen Ling,
The sch has no orientation program b4 1st day?

Hurray 4 the kids (& us!) for surviving Day 1!
Now for Day 2....
happy.gif

this morning my girl asked me : "I only can go toilet during recess ?"

then I was like OMG no wonder she didnt drink her water cos she dare not ask to go to toilet ! Of cos I told her she is allowed to go to toilet as long as she get permission from her teachers even when she is in the classroom.

I totally omitted about her toilet visit thingy... sigh...

Hi Chaye,
Don't feel bad, there r lots of routine stuff that we hv been taking for granted but r actually v new to a freshly-mint pri 1.
happy.gif

None of her other classmates went toilet during lesson time too?

I asked my gal this morning about toilet visit. She told me they are not allow to go toilet during lessons. They can only go toilet during recess or when her chinese teacher comes over.

I told her it's alrite to go if she is urgent even when during lesson or in between 2 lesson and before the next teacher comes. she still say NO cannot. I faintz

Yes Vamiga I will write into her handbook to chk with teacher first.
Oh tis sch provides locker for student and we r asked to hand in most text and workbook to sch for safe keeping so tat our child need not carry too heavy bag to sch. Is other sch practising tis as well?

Hi Chaye,
The teachers r keeping most of Jx's books too, even e 1B activity bks. Not sure if it's individual lockers tho.

sad.gif
I have also omitted to buy plastic to wrap her books. I better run thru the book list again. It should have come with the ready plastic to wrap the books tat's what I heard from my colleague.

Hi Vamiga,
Sorry for replying late. My girl's school does not have orientaion on the first day. They did it last year. Moreover, parents are not allowd into the school premises.

Hi Chaye,
I think the kids are allowed to go to the toilet only when they are doing their work and not when the teachers are teaching.

That's what I heard from my girl. I am not sure if it apllies to your girl too.

The teachers only asked to hand in the workbook for 1A. I think only Maths and Chinese textbooks are kept in the school bags most of the time.

Hi all,

first time posting over here, my child seem pretty weak with numbers, and i came across this new Math Monkey programme flyer, have anyone heard about it? its says Math is Fun at Math Monkey.. if anyone has any experience on it, let me know please =)
Thank u mummies =)

Hmm...maybe its the same for most schools? My girl can't go to the toilet if the teacher is teaching unless its urgent.Doing work can go. Also the period just after recess they are also not allowed to go. But she did mention that the teacher will remind them to go toilet during recess time just before they leave the class.

Hi candy,
I have not heard of Math Monkey. But if you really want to find good centre teaching Mathematics, I think you can try Sakamoto.

Back