(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Sherlyn

When's your hk fren here? I'm going to Night Safari this Friday nite. Will be able to tell u more after that. I'm told Night Safari is better as animals are more active at night.

K's mom, just got the scholastic book list ... B's school admin's pretty slow in the administrative and I may not get any this time. But if u want, let me know.

Joanne, look at it positively. Your FIL is very caring, n at least u have no problem getting a job. Been wanting to ask, how's B#1 now?

.ky.

ky,
I like the B#1 !!hehe..

we've been keeping our fingers crossed. Since Sept's surgery, things have been under control. No recurrence and no complain of pain *touch wood* just a little discomfort due to healing process on the op site.

Everytime he had fever, i'll be very worried and keep checking his neck for lumps but thank god.. so far so good and his op site is starting to soften. It used to be hard.. could be due to multiple surgeries. Next review is Dec 08. If he's ok, his surgeon will discharge him.

I do agree and am fortunate to have a pair of supportive PILs but thing is, they are not in very good health and I'm worried they might get over stressed by the 3 rowdy boys. (Both Bs and their cousin)

Serena
I may consider switching to part time in 2010 when Benny attends P1 so that I'll have more time to overlook his school work.

I used to work at home selling stuffs online but the returns are not enough to pay either boy's school fees.. hehee..

As for the test. Most ppl will get the days, weeks and years question right. As for how many stripes the US flag has... never bother to count! Only know S'pore flag has a crescent and 5 stars. Did you get the right angle qn right?

worrymum,

I have signed B up for keyboard/piano class in his school. My SIL has a keyboard which cost $500 over 20yrs back as a gift and she's willing to lend it to us.
happy.gif
Can save on buying a new one. But will need to handle it with extra extra care..

hi joanne,
welcome to the working mummies club
happy.gif
hope your new job will not take away too much time from Bs. when was the last time you worked?

i'm also wishing i can work part time when C goes to pri school. i'll enjoy more time with her & continue to stay in touch with the working world.

hi sherlyn,

i've been to the night safari twice (without my kids though). it's pretty good, i enjoyed the tram ride where the animals come really close. if you friend has the time, can also take the walking trails.

hi k's mom,

sleeping habits r hard to change.

C used to sleep by herself since she was 2 mths old (yeap i was the hard hearted mom who will let her cry herself to sleep for a week & dont even have a bb monitor). when she was about 2+, she began to be afraid of unknown monsters & ghosts (i found her sleeping on the floor outside my room a couple of times) & since bb c came along, dh started to accompany c while i sleep with bb c cos i was bfg. then we switched partners when i wanted to wean bb c off bf. and recently, we started to put the 2 of them together in the same room, mostly with either of us in the middle, cos we are worried they'll kick the other, esp when having nighmares. think have to wait for little c to grow up more before we can leave them alone!

Hi K's mom,

You are right .. I don't wake up so early hehe. ya understand beauty sleep is impt, but last night, not v good mood, so fighting with myself and in the end, i down a kopi and decide to keep awake till the next morning, but i give in and sleep at 5 plus. :)

baby monitor .. ever think abt buying, but they are not cheap and was thinking both my kids are not baby liao .. and dh thinks that there is no such need (he is the finance mgr leh)

Boy will wake up to pee, but will come in and call me, so i get to know that. But if the kids cry cos of bad dreams, i will not be "informed" and I guess they do settle themselves back to sleep too cos if i m sleeping i never hear them cry before. Occassionally, they will come over and sleep on our bed in the middle of the night, when they have fever, they will room in with me. Looks pretty ok right? If got monitor, i m afraid i might wake up at the slightest movement.

Dear Jo,

I have not congrat u on your new job. Congratulations. Ya if i am you, i also will feel very guilty, thus going back to work full time has never been an option to me. I only hope I can hv some home base jobs (since i can stay up so late at night).

ky, she plan to come on 14th march, so your review would be on time. Scholistic book list .. you not buying ? No good books?

Thanks to Chloe for the feedback. I guess then that I shd recommend her to go and even make a trip myself.

Hi ky!
Thanks for the offer. I will certainly take it up when I'm back in Sg for gd next time. For now, we do get to order Scholastic books through B's school. Quite frequently in fact, about 4 times a year.

Hi Sherlyn!
Walkie talkies can do the same too. But i doubt if anyone can sleep soundly. Coz sometimes there will statics.
Anyway, your kids seem to be old enough now to go to yr room if they need you. So rest well, don't worry lah!

Hi Chloe!
The girls sleep in the same bed?
We give the kids separate beds. Last night was good, but that was night#1. We'll have to see if things work out fine after the grandparents are gone. Yap, agree that babyC is still quite young. Gotta wait till she's a bit older before you can let her sleep together with her sis on her own.

We've been to London twice! Once it was me with B, and last year it was me with TWO kids for a couple of days at first since my dh was on business trip for the first couple of days.

Hmmm... it will cost a bomb staying in London... so be prepared to stop converting GBP to SGD or vice versa.

How long do you have in London?

#1. The London Eye with the kids. Mine were thrilled to bits! There's a playground next to it, in case you need to wait in line. But I will suggest you book/buy the tics online and collect on that day.
#2. Buckingham Palace during the change of guard. Hee... we were lucky, we caught the rehearsal for the Parade for the Queen's birthday in June. Check out our blog in June last year.
#3. Brought B and K to the Parliament House and Big Ben. Mainly to get them to identify landmarks. Nothing spectacular.
#4. Tower Bridge. If you're lucky, you might even see the bridge open up. But seriously, we were so in luck with B. friends staying there for years claimed that they'd never seen the bridge opening up at all. Your kids will be disappointed with the London Bridge because it's all so plain.
#5. August. A picnic in Hyde Park? Great fun, really! COz dining out with kids sometimes is just so terrible in a confined restaurant. That's what we did one afternoon when Daddy had his conference.
#6. I'm not sure if your children like museums. There are Madame Tussauds, National Gallery, British Museum. (I skipped them last year coz the kids were still a tad too young then, at least the younger one, who's abt 21 months old.)
#7. Toys stores! Hamleys on Regent Street. Dine at Trocadero's Rainforest Cafe, B was amused to find himself in an indoor rainforest! And bookstores, bookstores everywhere!
#8. Tower of London. Interesting for C but maybe not so much for baby C.
#9. Shop at GAP, M&S, Primark, Debenhams, Selfridges etc...
#10. You need an umbrella stroller for the younger C and power walking feet for older C. The tube stations usually do not have elevators. Escalators mostly in town area, but sometimes none at all.

Ok, those are my 10s, though not listed in order of priority. You plan according to the number of days you have there.

If you've got time, drive out to Windsor Castle, perhaps?

Hi Jo!
Congrats! Think you'll be comforting me next year when I go back to work...
I think you'll still spend a lot of time with yr boys. Quality time, definitely!
happy.gif

Hi Serena!

Your intelligence test got me and my dh working our heads off... Alone I could solve 19, with my dh we came to 26/32, discounting 13 S in the U S F, as given away by Jo already.

#s 24, 31, 33 – did not and would never have guessed.

#s 28, 29, 30 – came close but only because my dh googled for the answers and gave me the clues. Still did not guess them.

Am particularly proud with 15 P in a R T! Coz I don’t even understand the game!!!

My dh's proud claims are 13 is U F S, and 3 B M (S H T R).

Hee, now I think the rest of the ladies will be having fun solving them! Pris and moshi2, whetting your appetite for a challenge? ;)

Chloe
Thanks for the welcome. I stop work when B#1 was 6 months old in 2003. Wow.. 4yr plus! Should include that in my resume ya... Only thing is it's a job without any staff benefit and pay
happy.gif

Sherlyn, K's mom

Thank you! That is why group support is important cause my DH doesn't feel my guilt and to him, it's just a piece of good news with someone sharing financial burden..

K's mom
Are you still on unpaid leave? True enough, since confirmation of employment, every second spent with Bs are definately more precious and not wasted.

WOW.. you managed to get 19?? I'm not even half of your score.. *sigh* Even after seeing the answers, I don't think I can get all questions right. haha..

Ya K's mom, I shd stop worrying hor .. they are really old enough to come to me if they need help .. and in case of crying cos of bad dreams, I cant help them either hehehe ..

wah 19 .. thats genius liao ..

After getting the kids into sleeping in their own bedroom, we finally decide to change the orientation of our bed back to how it was before we had JA.

After that dh decides to go for his basketball session. Guess what. He fractured the bone on the right hand wrist area. He is in cast now, will be informed of a surgery appt tmr to screw in steel enforcement. Besides this, he is due to sign appointment letter for his new job tmr!

So did the shift of the bed caused all this? *sigh* We hv been thinking abt changing the bed orientation a couple of days ago and I did wonder if there is such a thing as cant shift things before a new job (in case it brings bad luck) .. and now ...

Hi Jo,
Congrats on ur new found job! is it the one in Tuas or Novena? Oh, is a contract job ah? WOw..ur SIL's keyboard.. so u can Save $$, me too got 1 from my BIL, it has been lying in the store room for more then 15yrs.. its still work as new.. hehe
happy.gif

hi viv
Congrats!!! While i am happy for u, i am also very envious!!! a new car right after the first attempt. u are one blessed woman!

hi jo
you must be all excited and counting down, all the best in your new endeavour!

hi sherlyn
sorry to hear abt your dh, hope he gets well soon to start work.
nothing to do with the bed la, accidents happen. see things positively ok?

hi k's mom
what test har? will give it a miss, i have been telling myself to stay away from d computer to rest rest rest, ya, still hurts, only the intensity. supposed to go an x-ray, but the lazy bones seem to be controlling the aching ones more haha.
what treatment for yours? have u consulted the orthopaedic again?

back to work next yr? at the MOE language centre in bishan?

i am also looking forward to work, hoping for a relief teacher's position in mel's sch. if things work out as desired, we go to sch together and go home together. spying on her during recess time and peeping into her classroom incl. haha

hi helen
so what treasures have u lugged back from the spree? it's so easy to buy for girls right, everything is so pretty and a must-buy.

Disney on ice:
got tickets for 12 mar, anyone else going on the same day?

Hi Serenade,
WOW WOW.. congrats on getting your new licence.. hey, just a few mths ya! Thumbs up for u.!
happy.gif

Hi Sherlyn,
alamak, hey u dont be so "pan dan" lah..

Hi Star,
U r another lucky women.. Japan! no wonder never heard from you in this forum! hehe
happy.gif
so when is ur next destination??

Hi Moshi,
U better take good care urself before u get the relief teacher post.. Wow.. can go with mel together.. so good..

Disney on Ice.. me on 14/3 Friday

Hi Sherlyn ... I jus remembered tt the amphitheatre in the zoo is now being upgraded, and so there's no show this period.... so night safari should be a better place to visit. But it's more expensive to go.

Jo, good to hear that B#1 is recovering well... can't give you much encouragement on working life. I just got shot some nasty email from a senior staff, just coz she felt that I had not replied well to an email. I feel that working environment is so full of politics and people can be so fake. Eversince I've stay-at-home, I find it's so much easier to talk to and interact with the kids instead. There are parties that I go to when I rather talk to the kids coz the parents would be talking abt politics... I don't think I'll ever want to go back to work again.

Moshi ... u going for 3.30pm on 12 Mar? How's the availability and seating like? I want to book the tixs at sistic coz I hear the tixs are better than online. Intend to bring 2 boys in myself, coz I think K can go in as less than 2. Wish me luck! Oh ya, if I remember to go get the tixs.

Sherlyn, I only know that one should not move the bed when pregnant... for orientation, yes there's a facing if you belive in feng-shi.

.ky.

KY,
Yes, over the sistic counter will be better then online. I got category 3 tickets and online seats only available from Row 15 onwards, and mine is Row 13, and also u can choose ur preferably seats instead of online.

Hi K's Mom,

Thanks for the long list
happy.gif
I will check out your blog, Jun 07 right?

Yeah I'll like to for the London Eye, it wasn't there yet when i was London many years back.

We'll be there for 2 weeks. Dh has lessons during the first week, and then we'll probably drive out of London during the second week. Still thinking if i should bring both Cs, or just Chloe. It'll be difficult to cope with 2 kids in a child unfriendly country by myself. How old was k when she was there? Charlene will be 2.5 yrs by then, I wonder how much she can appreciate.

Hi Sherlyn,

I think it's more a coincidence. Anyway, good to hear that your Dh has found something.

Hi Moshi,

Ha ha, i lugged back more than 20 pieces of clothing for the Cs. You are right, it's so easy to buy for girls. Everything is just so nice.

Chloe, London eye ticket cost 60pounds each if I remembered correctly. Go see those wonderful musicals. They're cheap considering you're getting front seats. Travelling is fun when you go in a family. Bring the little along.

Hi Mommies,
The little red hen:
I am going with A on 8Mar at 430pm show. Anyone else going on the same day?

Hi Serena,
I tried the intelligent test..ha me also somewhat intelligent..got 11 correct ! am just so glad already !

Hey K's mom,
Guess what? No London Eye, bridge, Big Ben for me, simply becoz my hb said "There's nothing interesting about them." Anyway, I didn't think I missed much too. But I certainly would like to see Buckingham Palace.

I was tired from walking even in Oxford Street and of course, hb was more than happy to get out from there.

Hi Chloe,
H was 2.5yrs then too.

Oh yes, be prepared to train your arms and legs, no joke carrying stroller up and down the subway's stairs. We were there in September and was raining, so you can imagine how tough it is.

Don't forget St Paul's Catheral, Convent Garden too.

Hi Apricot,
I've booked 15 Mar for The little red hen.

Hi Mommies,

Something to share: this exhibition 1 May to 6 Jul at National Museum looks interesting. Tickets (free for below 6 yr old, $15 for adults) at sistic
Children's Season 2008
Mozart: A Child Prodigy

I'm looking for Children Ballet performances (since C has been learning ballet for more than a year, & she has neither the chance to perform nor watch a ballet performance). Anyone knows where I can find it?

Hi Serena,
What 60 pound!! Hmmm...I must start saving now for an expensive trip. I'm hoping to catch Mary Poppins. Well, my little one is quite a rascal, I may end up not enjoying myself.

Hi Sarah,

Does H remember anything about London after the trip?

Did you drive out of London? I wonder if they have farm stays at the outskirts...

Chloe ... yes, national museum having some interesting children prog in March too ... I've the prog book, somewhere, under my pile of to-dos.

ballet ... can ask the teacher. I do know there's ballet under the star and late last year, there was one which a fren brought her dd to see

.ky.

Hi KY,
I saw Ballet under the Stars at Fort Canning before, but it's performed by adult ballet dancers. i was looking for performances by children. As you know, kids are more excited & motivated when they see children their age performing.

chloe ... another option is to try the CCs and find out if they've got performance. I've seen 1 of these kids performance before ... and btw, they look sooooo cute in their tutu

.ky.

Hi Helen!

London Eye isn't that ex. At least if it cost 60 GBP, I think my dh would have voted for a miss!

Check this out:
http://www.rialtoplus.com/rialtoplus/ConsumerControlServlet/home/initialiseTickets/LondonEye?categoryId=EVC0000000000001&productId=EVT0000000000001&productType=event

We booked online and it's much cheaper.

Mary Poppins, you might wanna reconsider. Heard from my dh's boss that when he brought his 3 yo daughter there, she was told not to talk, but not to ask questions. So the whole time she was asking questions.
US Theater recommendation is for kids to be at least in school years, i.e. 6 and above for this show. So I'm not too sure if it's gonna be fun experience for the whole family.

BTW, all you musical lovers, my dh was saying that there's been talk to get The Lion King to be staged in Sg for a year, in 2011. By that time, I think we can all safely bring our kids to a musical.

I think my kids are much too young for any Broadway musicals at the moment. That's why we went without the kids when we were in NYC in Jan. But you know your girls better, and you can judge if they can sit through the show. Otherwise, it would be tickets for whole family down the drain if one had to leave half way.

K was 21 months + when we were in London, while B was two months short to 4 yo. The first time I went with only B in 2006 (when he was almost 3 yo), but June 2007, I brought both along. Get a collapsable umbrella stroller. It helps alot!

Travelling with two can be nerve-wrecking at times, esp in a busy city like London. I was so scared that we might get separated in the tube or when boarding the train, the doors might close between the kids and me. So I had to push up the stroller with one hand and the other hand grabbing the older one.

Since you have two weeks, I'll suggest you plan simple. Just cover two places a day. Breakfast, Place A and then Lunch, Place B. Less is more when travelling with kids.

Oh, forgot to tell you Greenwich and the wharves area is quite a nice stroll for the kids. Makan places there too.

We ate mostly Dim Sums when we were there... coz kids love them! Didn't manage to go to the famous Yauyatcha, but Royal China was good enough. You get all your yummy Asian/Cantonese food around Bayswater.

Little C might not remember much, but it certainly will be fun for the whole family. I think without the little one then, I would have been able to bring B to the National Gallery to look at paintings. Can't wait to give him a lesson on that. Just two weekends ago when we were in Berlin, B and I had a great time walking through the artists market. We saw cute paintings and being 4 yo, he's really receptive when one talks about painting. The rest of the family were far ahead of us... Daddy was waiting impatiently for us at the end of the street. That's why he didn't enjoy the Met when we were in NYC. Then again, the Met isn't that spectacular too, there are better museums in Europe, e.g. Pergamon in Berlin and Louvre in Paris.

We hope to go London again this year. coz got free board :p Friends are still staying there. Anyway, enjoy yourselves and in the mean time you can try to get hold of a copy of Time-out London with Kids. You'll find even more fascinating ideas there. Might cost a bit but treat the guide book as an interesting/informative souvenir instead.

Hi moshi2!

Wow... maybe i should switch job too...

But being a SAHM's been pretty good. Like the job... hee, no end of year appraisal needed! ;)

You are definitely a very qualified teacher and the kids get to enjoy your creativity in craftwork! Hey, go full time, you!

Will be at the orthopedics in ten min time. Tell you later...
Go for a check up, woman! Get up, get out and go!

Oops! sorry chloe, thought it was 60pounds. It's been 4 years and my memory is really bad after my op. Or was it S$30? Ha..

Apricot, I went to Sept 21 and was quite prepared to get Mathstart. I ended up buying Fitzroy reading program. I didn't get the whole set because it might cost an arm and a leg! After going thru mathstart in the shop, I thought it was a really good buy. I think most kids can read the level 1 and 2 easily but to comprehend it is another story. So, I thought I've better buy the guided reading program instead. Too bad they don't have any good chinese books. I think my girl badly need to brush up on her chinese. Sigh!

Hi all

Very busy preparing for homeschooling materials. Just started to swim 3 times a week, very tiring.

Serena, how was the mathstart? Think I want to make a trip to Sep21 soon. Does it open on Sat?

Hi Serena,
OMG, I think I will be like u also..go with the intention of Mathstarts and then end up buy other things. I get swayed quite easily..Did they or will they sales talk you buy this and that ?
Hi Priscilla,
Yes, Sep21 is open on sat 10am to 3pm, closed on sun and public holidays.

Hi Serena,
Abt chinese books, me and Moshi2 have this set called My first chinese words. We bot it from a bulk purchase $65 for 36books. I like them becos the words are big and the pictures are colorful. If you are interested, I think I still have the contact person who sells the set locally.
http://www.betterchinese.com/mfcw.htm

Hi Meilan,
Sorry, I cant rem if this is the set cos I have another one ie learning the chinese character words in books and vcd.

Hi Serena,
Thanks on the intelligent test you post here. It actually get my hubby so interested when I send him the link this afternoon in the office. He just finally completed it and scored 19. He's so proud of question 52C in a P (W J) !!! For me, I am happy he did not know 90 D in RA in the 1st attempt..I win him..ha ha ha...

Joanne, all the best for a restart to working life! Do share with us your experience about re-adjusting etc. You are fortunate to have the appropriate childcare support for you to return to the work force.

Moshi, nice idea to do relief teaching at Mel's sch. Let me guess - you do not intend to do full time teaching so that you can still have considerable time for Mel?

Does anyone have a good Japanese language school to recommend for young children to learn Japanese? Kai has been bugging me for the last 3 weeks to sign him up for Japanese.

Can I check who else other than Pris has a regular exercise regime? Last Fri, I took the opportunity of a promotion to check out Sky Fitness at HarbourFront Tower 2 although I knew that I would not sign up with them since it took me 2 hours just to travel there and back. The club itself was not that impressive, what being located in the same tower as the cable cars. I could feel the vibration when I was doing yoga!

But I just want to highlight that this is the only place I know of that provides child minding while you go do your exercise and spa. What's more, it's provided by Chiltern House I think. Or I could bring my helper and baby along and they could sit in the lounge to wait for me. At the end of my trial, they also offered me a very good package that would very hard to turn down if I were still working and could afford the time and money. I thought this might be of interest to some of you here.

KY, the scholastic booklist, do you get the one for older children? Kai has the one from 3 to 6 years old, was hoping that it was like in Vancouver that they also provide the list for older children.

Meilan, need to lose lots of pounds haahaa...body needs to adjust back to old year summer season. And also for health purposes, I am thinking of going meatless or once a week white meat like chicken breast and eaten mostly vegetables and seafood.

worry_mum, when are you going for disney on ice? We might go too but not confirmed yet as we are thinking of making a trip to Genting HL during the march holiday after our Japanese friend visit to Singapore.

Back