(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Hi Serena,
Haha, Singaporeans must know some Singlish mah, especially SMSing... Btw, $28*12 = $336. that's simple calculation, isn't it? ;P

Oops, but isn't CHECK IT OUT widely accepted too?

Hi Joanne,
Looks like Mega Blocks is definitely more affordable. Will definitely consider it next time. Thanks for the tip!

Hi jpooh!

Hee, I'm like you too: I'd go for schools without aircon anytime!
happy.gif
This is because many pri schools in Sg don't operate in an aircon environment and I want my kids to adapt and stay focussed at the same time in the hot and humid environment. Besides, my kids perspire a lot, I'd worry about them going into a cooled indoor with sweaty clothes on! Great way to catch a chill.

You mentioned that R was in pm session last year. What about this year?
You also mentioned that R didn't attend the enrichment classes? Is it because they are mainly held in the afternoon?

Does R take school bus on single or return trips? I was wondering what's best option of dropping them off. Dropping them off personally would be good since I get to chat with the teachers. Or is one allowed to do that without any prior appointment?

Anyway, it's still very preliminary right now. I'm not even sure if we can secure spots for my kids there yet. My dh called up on Monday to book an appointment for registration on Thurs.

Thanks for your info! And yes, I'd be so happy to see the pictures. TIA!

Hee, if B gets a spot, our children will be classmates next year!

Hi Serenade!

I like to use the Online Free Dictionary. It's great coz every word has a sound file. In that way, you can always check words that look foreign to you. Otherwise, there's always IPA to fall back on.

When I was in NIE, we had a class called Use of English in Teaching. It was a lot of fun for me. Basically, the teacher trainees attended the lesson to enunciate! I never had such fun since pri school language lab lessons.

We got really funny words to pronounce. Maybe I can still find the book, if you'd like to see it. It must be in Sg, somewhere.
Also, everyday, we got to draw lots to practise "preaching" to our kids on petty issues, e.g. how to tell someone not to pull another's hair. Fun, right? I know you'd be one to enjoy such a class!

At the end of the term, we had to do a test. And this was the best part, we all went into the language lab and had ourselves recorded for the test! Great! My tutor was a retired Eurasian teacher, while the lady in charge of the module used to be some stage actress and sometimes, she does diction correction for TCS English shows.

I had my fair share of blunders too. But hanging around friends with international background during my school days and with a foreign language background did open horizon for me. Hee... my bro just tested me the last time i was back in Sg. He asked me how one should pronounce the word "Warwick". I told him to drop the "w", it's silent. But such things are very British. Staying in GB for a period of time would help or if you have Bristish friends.

One thing I do realise though: An American slang is generally more welcoming than the Queen's Eng. At least in Europe, you get around. Also to know the right vocab and knowing what to anticipate in a conversation. The AMericans and the British say things that aren't usually common to our ears.

Hee... the French way of pronouncing Paris, thanks to the German I've been doing, I've been made aware of that. In fact, my German prof always pronounce the French words in French, e.g. Renaissance, femme fatale etc...
And the trick with French is not to pronounce the ending unless there's an accent and the intonation goes up. Oui? But there's liaison, making French so difficult to decipher to the foreign ears.

Hi jo and serenade!

But mega blocks will break, and sharp edges might cut the kids. Lego never breaks.

Well at least the Lego I grew up with never broke. And the mega blocks my kids were given chipped and broke many times.

So far our Lego is surviving my children's rough handling.

I never had lots of toys when I was young. But we had good ones. Lego and Playmobil. Too bad my mom gave them away to my cousins and I can't save them for my children.

Well, consider it investment. That's what dh and I buy for the kids for b'days and Christmas.

Hi K's mom,
Your class sounds so interesting. Maybe I should have stayed on with MOE. And yes, I would like to have a look at the book if you can find it. TIA.

If we mingle with the right mix of people, spoken English will definitely be better. Unfortunately, not everybody has the opportunity. For instance, speaking proper English was so much easier for us in France. But since we returned, we have this tendency to speak like the average Singaporean at times (can't help it). Otherwise, we would be treated like foreigners. The lahs and the mehs would just make their appearances unknowingly. It's pretty embarrasing when Brandon catches us red handed and reminds us about them.

We are relying on the online webster-merriam dictionary. It too provides audio files.
happy.gif

Anyway, try this CHECK IT OUT website : http://pbskids.org/dragonflytv/check_it_outs/index.html

K's mum, Maris Stella Kindergarten is a nice place, my nephews are from there. My mum felt that it was too far for Kai, so even Barker Road Methodist Church Kindergarten was out due to the same reason.

So far, we are happy with Calvary Pandan Kindergarten, non-conditioned, a big place for the children to play. And he has twice a week free Speech and Drama lesson during class time and also IT lesson which is $90 per term and we paid full for this term even though he started in February.

So far, I send him and pick him up from school and send my time in the church there, pray and doing some devotion and prepare homeschooling materials for him. And at the same time, I could peep and see how the teachers handle each class. So far, there is only 14 pupils in his class but morning session are all full.

Serenade, I am tempted to do the 3-D too but will not get them yet till we are very sure that we will be staying put here first.

Joanne, Kai has one set of the Car Megablocks as Christmas present from our Vancouver friend and also a set of Playmobil and when my brother saw the playmobil told him about the whole collection we used to owe as a child.

Serenade & K's mum, the Use of English class was really fun in NIE. My tutor was an ex-newcastor who claimed to be the first female newscastor and she also taught some TCS actresses and actors too. Think you will also remember the 3 minutes speech for a picked topic on the day of the test.

K's mum, I have done a coffee book to record Kai's life from birth till 2.5 year old from Kodak.

On death, JK's biggest concern is whether I would leave him one day. I reassured him that I would be around for a long time, till he grows big, gets a wife and have kids. What he said touched me, "Mama, even when I'm big, I will still need you you know."

Christianity does have a very positive view of death huh? To reunite in heavens.

Ky, JK has not taken much notice of funeral in void decks. After mentioning about Ah Meng in a box, he's become quite afraid so I think I better not show him the coffins for now. Sorry to hear that you know of a young child who had passed away. Why do you want to bring B along?

I just remember a storytelling workshop I have attended before where the speaker mentioned that stories for pre-schoolers should always end with a happy ending in order not to burden their young minds. Hubby was saying that since JK was so affected by the topic of death these few days, perhaps we should just reassure him that we will be with him for a long long time.

K's mom, my kids get to enjoy my brother toys and hubby's Playmobile. But it's not true that Lego toys don't break. JK broke a part of my brother's Lego helicopter. He has also been rough with bro's Transformers etc. My bro will feel the pain when he saw the toys he had painstakingly kept well for so many years destroyed by my kids.

Hi Meilan!

Oops... maybe my kids are still quite mild with their keep.

Yup, reassuring JK is the best comfort now you can offer.

Hi ky!
Haha... detriment to what I wrote the other day on kissing, my son had a revelation to share with me this morning when I dropped him off at school. He told me, "Tomorrow's Valentine's Day. And Aidan, Jake, Ryan and I decide we should kiss each other!" Oh boy... yeah, oh boys!!!
Maybe I should blog more about this funny kissing matter!

I still take consolation that kissing at this age is non-sexual. Or??!!

I know another 3 yo who kisses her mom on the lips and says, "Yes, now we are married!" Suppose they live happily ever after.

Hi Pris!
Thanks for the info on Maris Stella!
Too bad you're in Sg now, otherwise I'd borrow your photobook on Kai!

Hi Serenade!
Good luck for you know what.
Yes, you should have stayed on with MOE.
Agree, we really should speak Singlish in Sg. It's our culture, though I'm really liking the slangs and accent that B's picking up from his friends. I'll certainly miss that for I know he'll lose it back in Sg in no time. The way he calls "Mom or Dad", it's really classic!

Hi Sarah!

The writers finally decided to put down the picket signs and pick up their pens to write again!

Finally there'll be new episodes of CSI!!!!! Me, almost died of cold turkey here!

This morning, Benny's teacher spoke to me and inform me of Benny's mischief. He had alof of 小动做. He was seen a couple of times, pulling up skirts of his female classmates. When he's at home, he likes to boss his bro and cousin around and fight with them over anything and sometimes for fun. His teacher assures me that fighting is normal for his age but as for pulling up of skirt, she'll try to make sure he doesn't do it again. I spoke to Benny in front of his teacher and wanted him to promise me that he will not repeat his mistake.

Seems like he's very curious over woman and man's body.. I'm still thinking should I explain the "special features" of the sexes and how?

Serenade, need to give me sometimes when I access my blog and will send another invitation to you. just read some older thread and saw your thread.

Hardly have time to blog these days I am back in Singapore, sending and fetching Kai from K1, preparing homeschooling materials, Bible study materials and a whole lots of I do not know what is tsking away lots of time. I am thankful for the time that Kai is in school, I could go to the church there to have my quiet time, read the bible and then find a quiet spot there and prepare all my homeschooling materials. Started to do lapbooks to teach Kai more about God and the bible.

K's mum, talk about that, I think it is in one of my mum's cupboard, will look for it and take some photos to saw with you.

K's mum

So far, the mega blks that we had doesn't break and chip *touch wood*. As for quality, of course lego would be much better but I wouldn't want to spend $80+ on a box of toys and risk being stored away in storeroom for months before they decide to touch it again.

Joanne, think there are books in the libraries about the different body parts for female and male under JP sections, we came across them but Kai is more interested in the different senses for the time being.

Finally, wishing all a blessed Valentines!

Anyone keen to go to the water spray playground at IMM one of the weekday afternoon, let me know. Thinking of bring Kai there after school one of the days.

Will scrapbook on the Fire Station Visit and share with all.

Joanne, think it is called all about our body. I take a look inside and it is quite educational and a good start to talk to young children about different body parts and also teaching them that our body is sacre and not to be touch by anyone and they too should not go around touching other.

Pris, I did told Benny not to let others touch him but I missed out on touching someone else.. That shall be our topic for tonight's chat..
happy.gif

worrymum
driving or taking coach? approx how much per pax?
Me thinking of going genting long time ago.. but haven't got a good reason to persuade my DH

Hi Jo,
The package price by WTS travel is $133 per pax x 2 adults, as for children - Coach ticket is $70 x 2 child. = $406 for your family. Travelling on 21 to 23 Feb 08.

Still cny so can wish all gongxi facai, good health and prosperous new year! And Happy valentine's Day!

Hi worrymum, genting fireworks sounds good but I'm travelling next week. I personally like fireworks display plus the cool weather in genting, it's great.

hi mommies,

happy lunar new year! i'm back...to the thread that is. i'm at sj this week, yeah speaking proper english ha ha.

shopped like mad at gilroy when i first touched down, osh kosh, carters, gap, banana republic, coach....woooowww had a great time! c wanted me to get crayola stuffs for her but i didnt see it yet. k's mom, i didnt see the brand OK though.

hmmm...on birds & bees, i've always tell c that she shouldnt let people touch her here & there. but she always call boys her boyfriends & has no qualms holding little boys' (strangers) hands. will try out some of these books that you ladies have mentioned.

hi
has anyone watched the play "little red hen"? i just bought the tickets for mar's show.

ky, are you going for the prudential intl fest for children?

Hi K's mom,
Yes, yes, the strike is finally over! Feels good to know our favorites will be 'back' soon.
happy.gif
Old ailment is back to torment me, cannot be online for too long.

You'll be back next year for good? Neighbour's girl in RGPS P1 this year, mom's an old girl. She did not join alumni but volunteer when school start. You stand good chance even if you did not join alumni especially 2003 is low birth rate year, of course, intake will be reduced accordingly.

hi K's mom

R is in the am now and takes the bus both ways. The teacher is always very early and school will start at 8.45am and all Ks children will gather at the hall for National Anthem and Music. Nursery will be in another hall.

Parents are allow to walk the children to their classes.

school hrs:
am from 8.45 to 11.45
pm from 12.00 to 3.00

enrichment classes have 2 sessions, either 12.00 to 1 (for am children)or 10.45 to 11.45 (for pm).

1248693.jpg

Classroom

1248694.jpg

1248695.jpg

Indoor Play area just outside R's classroom. Every class has it's own indoor play area.

1248696.jpg

Outdoor for K's play area

Hi jpooh!

A picture paints a thousand words! Thanks for uploading the photos!

My dh was there in the morning to register the kids. We secured morning slots for both kids next year. Yep, I think B and R will be schoolmates, if not classmates at the least.

Dh was quite disappointed with the teacher-students ratio. It's really huge compared with what B is enjoying right now. In B's class, it's 1:6! In K's class, it's 1:4. And going back to Sg would mean 1:10 and more!

Apparently dh wasn't quite impressed by the teachers... I wonder why. I guess he's too pampered by the international school options here already. I know standards will be different and curricula will not be as varied as the ones found here. Anyway, I'm just hoping it will suffice in gearing the kids up for pri school. I was assuring my dh with my secondhand info about the gd rep of the school etc...

But I really like the environment. Nice hor? Much nicer than my first preschool in Chip Bee Garden or my subsequent PAP kindergarten then.

Hee.. think I'll let the kids sign on for enrichment classes so that they have almost all 4 hours a day. Hopefully schedule will fit.

Listen, I'm really moved that you were still uploading the pics for me in the wee hours. Really appreciate that!

hi chloe!

You in SJ now? Have fun! Remember to speak with proper diction and slow down!!!
happy.gif

I thought apricot and I OK OshKosh in short. Well, at least that was what I understood. Yes, I meant OshKosh, really, there's no OK brand, sorry to disappoint! :p

Hey, am still waiting for you to upload pics on your resort-feel new place!

In the meantime, enjoy yourself! I'm sure retail therapy is fun!

Hi sarah!

I was inpried to go see an orthopedics because the other day, my left arm hurt even I was carrying two cartons of milk in a supermaket.

So there I went today. Got myself an appt. When I told the receptionist that my left shoulder was hurting, she told me to come in the next day - which was today.

Anyway, did the x-ray and now the doc decided there's nothing wrong with my shoulders, but there's a grey area around my C6 neck area. So he's sending me for an MRI. And guess when? It's tomorrow afternoon! O boy... this is gonna be huge bill! Wait till my dh comes back to discover this... And also, he wants me to go back to an accupuncturist tomorrow! Now this is become an oversized issue!

Will let you know how things go soon...

Hee, we're going to Berlin this weekend. I know you're hating me now! Wanted to bring my parents there, mainly. Also the kids have a long break, weekend plus three days off next week because it's President's weekend in the US.

Yep, can't wait for the US series to start again... I'm online streaming stuck now!

RGPS is for K who's only due for registration in 2011, i think... born 2005, correct?
So I've got some time to think about PV, but I'm hoping joining the alumni will suffice.
Actually, thanks for reminding me on this coz I need to get my dh to join his alumni!

Don't bank in on the fact that the birth rate is low, thus easier to get into choiced schools. It just means less no. of classes. So back to sq one.

Hi jan!
Thanks for the reminder! But I need an all boys' school for my boy who's born in 2003. I'm hoping SJIOB will be able claim alumni over SJI Jr.

Hi Pris!
One thing my dh did get me exicted about Maris Stella is that bible stories are taught! Yay!

I was just reading a book on training the kids. It says we should train the kids up in three areas, being life skills, intellect and moral. And of all three, moral virtues should take priority. One thing my dh did mention about the school was staff were really friendly and polite and so are the kids.

Btw, do you find Kai losing his Canadian accent?

Hi all

K's mum, we do not exactly think Kai has the Canadian accent, just that people around us find that. Kai's kindergarten start with worship and teaching of the bible daily during assembly daily. And this is followed up with some seatwork about what they have learnt during assembly. And there are some expatriate's children in there too. The principal and staff are very friendly and patient and the children are very polite and friendly too.

When Kai first joined the school, the children volunteered to be his buddies and teacher selected a very nice and sweet boy to be his buddy.

Think life in Vancouver preschool is to relaxing to Kai that now he is adjusting to seatwork, etc. The principal and staff assured me that it will take a while but he will be able to cope it. There is alot of seatwork and also homework. We are trying to help Kai understand that he needs to complete all these on time especially those to complete in class.

I have started on homeschooling back here and also I have more learning on Christian faith, about God and moral values for Kai during homeschooling. Trying our different schedule to find the one that fit which still give him lots of time for play.

Was asking dh about the school we should put Kai, his reply was that we write in to my first choice to do pv if all that fails just send Kai to ACS as we falls under Phase 2B. He keeps telling me that God knows which school is best for Kai so I am praying and ask God to show me where I should place Kai.

One thing I am really excited is that Kai is speaking more Mandarin and yesterday he spoke to his chinese teacher in mandarin and with the "ang mo" accent.

Hi worrymum, going to seoul. Didn't travelled for biz for the past year and kids are making noise why they can't come along. Short trips are ok else will miss them. Kimchi for you??

Hi K's mom, 2011 should be ok. I was considering rgps for gal but hesitated as it's different from korkor. Will be a logistic nightmare for me especially since different sessions as rgps is single am session. Welcome back home next year!

Hi K's mom,
Oh dear, it sure sounds serious. Is it alright to proceed with acupuncture now that your shoulder is 'injured'? Its a good thing that your folks with you, at least you can get some sort of rest. Hm, not sure about it now that I know you're travelling...
wink.gif

Yes,yes, please do keep me informed of your condition.

What a sotong I am! B cant possibly enrol in RGPS, haha..

Hi Jan,
From what I know, RGPS is 2sessions. P1 and 2 are in the afternoon. At least for now, never know what changes will be in time to come..

Have a safe trip.

hi K's mom ... understand where your dh's concerns are. I've got the same concerns too, but I'm changing my mindset as I find that with pri school, ratio and knowledge of teacher's ability reduces, so I'm trying to "unpamper" myself on expectations. B's class ratio is 1:15 with no teaching assistant. It didn't used to be so 2 years ago. And btw, I wrote a lengthy email to the mgt to which I got a quick, short reply with contents I already knew and know they would say. I would have start thinking abt a change if not for the fact that B loves his school, his classmates, his teachers, and really that would be the key above any considerations for me now.

.ky.

Hi sarah, you are right. I was thinking of another school which has single session. Blur liao!....too much of P1 registration talk with friends for my ds.

hi k's mom,

ohhh i didnt know you meant OK-osh kosh. cos there is indeed a brand of children's clothes called OK in sg, short for some japanese sounding word that i cant remember. hee hee i've mistaken....

you will be back for good next year?

ha ha my temporary resort home is nothing great, it's a big deal only in the eyes of my suaku kids
happy.gif

hi cat,
thanks for the feedback on the little red hen.

hi chloe

yes, I'm bringing both boys to 1 show for the prudential intl fest. tried to get tixs for a fren a month ago for another show and it was already soldout. for little red hen, a fren brought her dd to watch and she loves it, even did post-event activities to complement show.

.ky.

Hi Ky, I'm quite curious. This little red hen, is a play? Actually, I want to bring my girl to watch the disney on ice. It's coming in March. Don't know if there's any difference from the previous show but it seems that there was good feedback, that's why I thought maybe can go this time round.

Jan, Korea.. I love Korea. I Luv their food, especially the burnt rice. One thing I don't like is they use too much bean sprouts. I dislike bean sprouts. Btw what other schools you have in mind? Join me lah...then our children can be in the same school.

Pris, what church do you go to in Singapore? The one my hubby to is St. George. It's Angelican

Jan, I love Korea and korean food too.

Serena, I grew up in an anglican church, Chapel of the Resurrection but now we are in Living Waters Methodis Church.

KY, any idea whether Little Red Hen is still on? There is the book and worksheet that can be used for post activity after the show.

Back