(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Serena/Sherlyn

We just let go of some too. have learnt from past experience (and once again) that one can't be too greedy.

Me also using broadband for work, but not superly important time-critical work, though the people at work tell me have to be.

.ky.

btw, if anyone keen on the Prudential Children First! 2008 (http://www.childrenfirst.com.sg/), I've got the PruPrivilege Card which is entitled to 20% discount. Or if you are prudential policy holder, can get from prudential... tickets for at least 1 show is already soldout.

.ky.

Alot of people burnt their fingers this time round, my brother's close friend lost 40K.

Good things dh is not into shares anymore, he lost quite abit in the last recession. Remember I shared with you the last time to advise your hubby to let go once he earned alittle and not hold on.

K's mum, still very busy these few weeks, baking for CNY. Catching up and having gathering with extended families and also with close friends, my ex-classmates, ex-colleagues and my ex-students too.

Ladies who are keen to bake together, please open up your place as I am staying at my mum so not as convenience.

Hi serena, my hubby says it's an acquired skill to walk away. Both should meet for your hub to tell mine travel more, and mine tell yours to walk away from the mkt. Guess it's also personality traits. My hubby is risk averse so he likes to stay in his well!

Jan, you are right!! My hubby is quite stubborn too.

Pris, drop by my place since it's also in the west. I'm thinking of baking 2nd Feb (Sat). Thinking of pineapple tarts, almond cookies and kuih bangkit. What say you? I bot the pineapples and will make the jam by this week. Don't worry about my jam. Lot's of good review. It's the crust that I'm worried. Let me know if you're keen so that I can make more jam!

Serena, I am making Pineapple tarts on Monday. Just complete making the jam.

I don't mind going over to bake if there is no programme on my dh's calendar, will have to check with him first and let you know. Can sms me your address?

Kai also wanted me to make Mickey and Minnie mouse butter cookies.

Hi Jpooh,

I m not sure if it is paper lost or not, cos i never bother to ask abt his stuff in detail. I already told him all the time since i stopped working, is that if there is financial problem, he shd tell me straight away, else I will be still spending like no one's business (i mean on grocery only).

I don't need a diamond ring, i rather spend money go tour or get more stuff for the kids.
happy.gif

Hi Jan,

my dh also a very cautious person, but if compare with yours , then maybe not as cautious. He waited till he has enough money before he decide to marry me! Also good lah, since i did not hv alot of savings (not that i spendthrift, but i earn very little), so he all the downpayment for the flat and the reno and wedding etc.

but he say he is sick of the working world and would like to try be his own boss, so trying out this way .. too bad, mkt is not good ..

hey, i also like to see how u guys bake the pineapple tart and esp the disney cookies (i hv not tried any cookie cutter recipe before). I just see and don't do can go or not?

But my kids hv gym class at 5pm ... :-(

Hi sherlyn, I give mine Meiji fresh milk. Low fat is for me! My ds drinks only choc flavoured one which I'm still trying to change him. My dd is ok with plain milk.

aiyo, then i better buy full cream for them... I give them low fat out of convenience since i drink low fat ...

jan, drink chocolate flavour no good? mine also like only chocolate flavour

jpooh .. I just went your store site, and notice this crumpled looking praline T (under nursing wear) ... am wondering if it can be wore as a casual wear and if it is iron free?

picture cant see clearly how "nursing" is this nursing wear ..

hi sherlyn

Thank you for visiting. Yes, it is iron free and it is a nice top to match with anything. Nursing openings are under the first layer.

R has attained a higher level of immortality. She is not willing to eat and sleep. I'm so frustrated and I'm not sleeping well because of this....... ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Immortality ... I like that word! what time does she gets up? B's been sleeping in late these 2 nights, 10 plus n didn't wanna wake up in the morning (8). He still takes his naps. oh, in fact, K's still taking his morning nap and I can't do anything much like even bringing him out to doctor or park coz he'll really be tired out and oversleep for lunch

.ky.

Naps! what will become of me if mel stops napping??!!

hi sherlyn
kids should take fatty milk! low fat for adults la.
mel takes magnolia milk, and UHT milk.

choc in milk impedes the absorption of calcium a/c to some research, so choc milk as a treat only yah.

Sentosa Flowers
Anyone went?
Any good?

moshi ... Sentosa Flowers start on 7th to 17th. went last year, was good though some flowers dying, so better go earlier in fest rather than wait till last weekend

.ky.

hi ky

R will get up at 7.15am on school days and naps from Mon to Sat for abt 1 to 1.5 hrs and goes to bed abt 9.30pm.

She is not sleeping well in the nite. She shares the room with J and he is having a hard time.

J came screaming at 2am last nite abt R disturbing him. Asked R why and she replied 'wanted to know what J was doing.' J was sleeping!!!!

Serena, so sorry, could not make it on Sat or Sun. We have lots of appointments on these days for ds to play with friends' children and also Kai is going to swimming class soon if I can find out for him. Heard that Safra swimming coaches are quite good, so might go and see see.

Sherlyn, I am not going as we have appointments on weekend.

Ladies, for children should be full cream milk. Kai is taking all plain full cream milk or Meiji Full Cream milk, occasionally we will reward him with chocolate or strawberry or banana one. And he is into taking at least one cheese a day.

Jpooh, R goes to morning session?

Sherlyn, I went with Kai to IMM, water playarea, he enjoyed himself very much there, it is like one of the park we went during Summer in Vancouver to cool off the heat.

I loves those CNY flower display at Sentosa, been there when Kai was like one and two and we missed for two years. We usually goes around 3 or 4 day of CNY.

Hi Pris. Welcome back! You and Kai seem to be having fun here.

Moshi, on naps, JK has stopped his naps since ages ago. It used to be that he would still take his naps at least on weekends but now, it's totally impossible. In fact, he won't even rest ie lying down without closing his eyes, not even for 15min. I used to dread the extra time I had to find something to do with him and forgoing my own rest and peace. Good thing is, he's learnt to spend the time by himself eg looking at books, watching TV or colouring without bothering the rest of us who wish to nap.

I would like to seek advice on 2 matters.

1) Toilet-training
JK is off diapers at night now but we still wake him up to pee before we turn in around midnight and early morning around 6.30am, just to ensure he won't wet his mattress. I know that JK is not the type to wake up in the middle of the night to pee on his own and he can still sleep through even if he's wetted himself. In this sense, I can't really declare that he's toilet-trained right? I just like to check from those of you who can safely leave your kids alone till they wake up in the morning how you reach this stage.

2) Teaching counting in tenths
I am quite glad that JK can now recite his counting beyond 1 to 20 but somehow he can't write the numbers if I were to give him a piece of paper to do so. He would get stuck at 19, 29 etc as well after the tenths eg 20, 30 etc. He does not see that there is some recurring pattern ie after 19 is 20, after 29 is 30 etc and after 30 is 31, after 40 is 41. Any tips on how to explain this to him?

Hi Meilan,

JA will automatic wake up to pee. He attain that on his own. We did not even practice waking him up for pee when he is in diapers. He will also wakes up when he wets his bed (when he is extremely tired)

Pris, I still hv not pass u the sushi mould. I am targeting to go Jurong East library this thursday afternoon. Any luck you are around the area?

On naps .. similar to Meilan, my boy stop naps ages ago. He wakes at 7 plus with my girl in the morning and go for PM session from 1 to 5pm. He sleeps at 930 to 10. So he is also immortal liao. I can only force nap during weekends (with marginal success rate).

My gal at 3 yrs 3 months now also trying to skip nap! I am not as lucky as Meilan cos the kids make lots of noise and fights and even hv to be supervised when watching TV !

Its crazy with 2 non napping children .. and they gets cranky when they tired! *sigh*

On milk .. full cream, non flavoured .. but my kids only drink flavoured milk. How ? If mix chocolate with plain milk, will the calcium absorption be still affected?

Abt naps.
Now I can fully understand why Moshi routine Mel on naps. My A hardly wan to nap during weekends. Force nap is often used becos I know merely waiting for him to nap voluntarily will not happen.

Naps..

My B still needs abt 2-3hrs naps per day!! haiz.. how i wish he could skip his nap.. so that can arrange more activities with him.
embarrassed.gif

Worry_mum ... no worries, mine still naps 1.5 hr per day too. Just arrange the activities ard the naptime. We do allow the kids to skip naps if we've to do something, and if they are really tired, they'll doze off in the car.

JPooh, perhaps R is not tired? why don't give her more exhausting activities ... like cycling?

.ky.

scandalous! mel has a new bf! she abandoned us this morning when we dropped her to hold hands with boy! name: Aaron and very swoonsome! keke

hi meilan
i dont want to sell kumon, but those numbers sequencing worksheets should be useful for JK now. covers up too 120, trains handwriting n counting on.
u can also consider getting a numbers chart to mount on the wall. www.teachersthemepark.com
has a few. the numbers are cleverly arranged so the child could see the patterns of fives n tens. if he is a visual learner, looking at the chart everyday should help.
play games on the chart. the charts have suggested game ideas at the back.
get physical, play hopskotch, write numbers on paper and tape them on the floor hopskotch style. entice with a treat in the semi circle?

how's the little one coping?
eat, sleep baby?

managed to get the chinese costume for JK?

hi ky
sentosa flowers, planning to visit after CNY. hee, maybe not now, after u remind me they wither!

moshi ... the fest is within CNY period. It's actually for 11 days only, and even it's on the last day, it's worth a visit.

ok, taking abt bf/gf ... hm, should u and how do u tell your child or your child's gf that they should not be so close ... hm, or how old should they be when u tell them. jpooh? B's gf would whisper into his ears secrets and huh, pull his head together with hers and giggle together. btw, the entire class plus their parents know abt them "being a couple" liao. hm, just childish fun, so should i start to worry or not? hm, btw, Ben pop the qn of how he got into mummy's tummy (to daddy), and I asked him who asked that qn coz I know he doesn't think to that extent and the qn he said came from the gf ....

.ky.

Abt bf/gf.
I thot I wanted to share also.
A's also have one in his school. He often says he's daddy and that girl will be mummy next time when they get married. This gf is very sweet looking.

I actually start sex education now. When I shower my girl, I tell her no one is allowed to touch here and here(I point to each part). This means even Daddy and doctor are not allowed to touch there too unless mummy is around. If someone tries to touch her, she must scream for help.

Hi Serena!

Just curious: Doesn't your dh shower your dd?
My dh showers and bathes both my kids.

Hi ky!

On sex education, there are some pretty good children's books. I got one from London the other time. Will go find the title for you after I'm done with my nap... am typing in bed now
happy.gif

Hi Meilan,

I agree with Lena totally on number charts. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of getting such a chart here. So I do mine on A4 paper, printed. And I got B to colour all numbers that end with 5 or 0. Or whatever you think fit.

Btw, when you give him a piece of paper to write numbers, do you have anything on that piece of paper at all? or is it plain blank? Sometimes, kids are clueless when they are shown a blank piece of paper and don't know what to do with it. Maybe he can copy numbers for you.

How about starting with a flip calendar with JK? It's always fun to start circling birthdates first. I know kids this age are very game to talk about birthdays.

Hi Mommies!
On naps:
I really think this is habitual. Look at moshi2, she's doing it really well with Mel. And defends naptime at all costs, even if it means to miss some afternoon concerts on weekends, right?

Actually kids this age should be sleeping at least 10, if not 11 hours (Believe me, you are hearing from a mom who collects literature on children's sleep). So if numbers of hours don't add up, kids will naturally be hyperactive, cranky, or have short attention span. While the Americans - I know here - don't do naps with their kids, they mean to put their kids to bed as early as 7pm so that the kids wake up at 6 am the next day.

Of course, if your 5 yo naps a couple of hours in the afternoon, you can't expect the kid to be sound asleep at 8pm. Bedtime at 9.30pm will be more realistic.

Anyway, perservere on your nap routine. Reward your child with a treat after the nap. Start with an hour. And make it a habit. I know, it's a conscientious effort. Catch your kids down time in the afternoon.

When I'm back in Sg, I always find kids in Sg having dark rings round their eyes... And always after a trip back to Sg, my kids would have shadows under their eyes. How not to when they sleep around midnight and wake up at 9am?

And I'm very sure many moms here will agree that eat and sleep are usually related.

Hi mommies!

Does anyone know anything about SJI Junior?
Pris, you know any feedbacks or anyone teaching in that school?

We've got a tradition here to defend...
B's dad, granddad and great granddad are all old boys.

I think I'm most certainly going to join alumni to secure a spot for P1.
Dh only has to pay 50 SGD, while my membership will cost 540 SGD. Then again, this is definitely a cheaper option than to relocate closer to school.

Hi ky!

As you have gathered... I didn't sleep at all.
Thinking about P1 registration kept me up.

Anyway, I've checked. Here's the title of the book:

Where Willy Went. By Nicholas Allan.

Fantastic book!

Hi Pris!

What made you decide for the Calvary Kindergartens instead?

I thought initially you were looking at St James Kindergarten and Maris Stella.

I;m thinking of writing to them to find out how early the enrolment procedures start.
Am also thinking of Lorna Whiston. I'm pretty smitten by the environment the latter provides. The school/daily routine resembles the preschool my children attends here alot.

Anyhow, all three kindys are quite near our area.

hi k's mom
to keep the tradition going, joining the alumni is all that's needed right?
think must join now, heard it's 2 years in advance. quick! give the sch a tinkle.

naps, absolutely important, they help kids to grow and stay healthy!
on the other hand, i frown at the prospect of mel dozing off in class when P1 starts!
add a bit of red bull in lunch? haha

i see u are thinkg of kindys too, returning next yr?

hi apricot
have u got a place as PV in meetoh?

hi serenade
how's homeschooling? did any stuff to tie in with CNY?;)

K's mom

I also a firm believer in min. 10 hours sleep, I'm always counting too.

Re kindy, I preferred Maris Stella to St James. which R is in MS now. The class size is smaller, max 25, huge playground, classroom etc...

Meilan
I agreed too. The number chart is good cos the kids can see the logic/sequence behind the numbering. Right now I'm teaching R to count backwards. She wld frown when she is stuck between the x1, x0, x9

Hi K's mom,
50SGD to join the alumni? That's cheap. Oh my, that means you have to go through P1 anxiety twice. Btw, I recalled Moshi saying they have to pay about SGD200 or for Ai Tong. Moshi?

Daddy shower/bathe the kids. Good bonding time for father and child, but when should we stop? H asking why daddy stands to pee, sit to poo...and why cant she do the same? So I got her to stand to pee during shower time to see for herself. Conclusion - wet legs, clothes will be wet too. Lucky she never ask why cannot aim like daddy.

Me too, swear by min 10hrs sleep including naptime. There are days where H can nap for 3hrs and goes to bed at 10pm. But no matter how much she slept, her dark eye rings are there, and it can be very obvious on some days. PD says due to allergy.

Chloe,
Settled down in your new place?

Sherlyn,
H drinks Meiji chocolate milk twice a day. We mix both fresh and choc when she was still on the bottle, but no when she switch to cup. Somehow she can taste the fresh milk. Anyhow, I grew up drinking choc milk too, remember those triangle-packed Magnolia milk.

Moshi,
You got your calcium supplements? How about cheese, yoghurt? I heard there's lactose intolerance milk available in market. Going to check them out. Let you know when I see them.

Hi moshimoshi,
Not achieving as much as planned cos we were down with flu. Now trying to establish a homeschooling playgroup for the kids.

For CNY, we went shopping in Chinatown. Got a couple of decorations. Planning to teach the kids words and things related with CNY these few days. B is asking if we can do some craft on CNY. Any suggestions? I remembered there are some craft on using the red packets to make lanterns, chinese dragons. Happen to have the instructions?

Napping : I'll be guilt ridden if my kids don't get 10-11 hours of sleep a day. And Sarah, you are so right about the dark eye circles. My hubby is wondering why B is getting dark circles under the eyes too. Perhaps, it's just part and parcel of the Singapore life?

On Milk - Lately I read with interest that contrary to what we believe, cow's milk is actually bad for the health. And I don't mean bad for just the kids, but the adults in general too. Some has even sworn off cow's milk. Ladies, what are your take?

Hi K's mom,

For RGPS, I heard the alumni members still need to contribute in certain ways to the alumni before being assured of a place in Phase 2. Maybe you could drop the alumni an email to check on it.

We wouldn't mind putting our B in SJI Junior.

K's mum, if I am not wrong, SJI junior is previous know as St. Michael Primary School, my cousin used to be from there. But my nephew is in ACS.

I thought of St James Kindergarten and Maris Stella too but Maris Stella registration is in Feb, and they do not have vacancies and my mum thought St James was too far for him.

I am still calling up my first Choice Jurong Calvary Kindergarten as it is nearer to my mum's place by schoolbus.

Hoping to do my PV too in a mixed school that offered higher chinese unless we are going to put Kai in ACS through Church under Phase 2B.

Kai still has at least 10-11 hours of sleep if he missed his one hour afternoon nap, if not he sleeps about 12 hour per day.

Serenade, how's your homeschooling group coming along?

Ok, I am off to baking bak kwa now.

Sherlyn, I will not be there as I am busy baking bak kwa.

Thanks mums for your inputs. Will try some of the suggested methods in teaching counting.

Moshi, thanks for asking. Coping with the little one has been easier than expected except the daily challenge of handling JC who wants to carry didi all the time. I have to balance the risk of her rough-handling with the opportunity for her to bond with him. As for JK, he is genuinely loving to his didi but unfortunately, has been fighting a lot with JC. So can understand why JC has been feeling very cranky in her new position.

Serenande, I happen to read that report too. Anyway, I guess moderation is the best for anything. By the way, for CNY crafts, try http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/chinesenewyear/

Back